***Chapter Six***
November 1986

"Enter," Severus called out in response to the knock on his door. He had no idea who it might be. It was after his office hours, and no one had detention this evening.

His first year as a professor he'd earned quite the … reputation. That was partly due to needing to ensure he was taken seriously by those who knew him as a peer. Partly, too, there was the physical and mental exhaustion from acting as a double agent at the beginning of the school year. His mood was foul … all of the time. Then there was the aftermath. The trials. Never certain he wouldn't end up in Azkaban after all. Too, he couldn't go from being a virtually intolerant professor to handing out points and accolades.

As the years had passed since his first year as a professor, he'd found his stride in the role. He still had to favor his Slytherins per Albus' orders, but the muggleborn witches and wizards could be treated with some kindness. Some. It was a fine line he was still walking, and he found it odd more often than not.

All that to say, he hadn't handed out a detention or taken points in almost a month. Students weren't so suspicious and quick to be cruel to him. He didn't hear them talking behind his back (as if he didn't know they were). He hadn't heard "the greasy git" moniker once this year. Minerva was no longer suspicious of him. She even visited him in her tabby form a time or two. She didn't transform out of her animagus form, merely allowing him some time to pet her. It wasn't something he got much of. Touching. Closeness. He imagined she was lonely, too, so it helped soothe both of them.

As a result, he found himself in a better mood day to day. This led to students getting better grades. He'd only dolled out one Troll thus far this year, in November. Deservedly so, it was an atrocious essay that he could find nothing redeemable about even if he read it upside down.

"You are a difficult man to get a hold of, Severus," Sirius Black said as he entered the classroom. If there had been a last person on earth Severus expected to walk into his classroom today. Well, it still wouldn't have been this wizard. He narrowed his eyes at the man, wondering what he was up to.

"And yet, here you are, so obviously I am not."

He watched, cautiously, as Sirius Black approached his desk and sat. Severus didn't draw his wand, he didn't need to, but was still prepared for … anything. There was no telling with this wizard. He had far too many … unpleasant memories not to be on the defensive.

And yet.

Sirius Black had never, in fifteen years of their  … acquaintance, called him Severus. It took him until now to even catch that. The smirk on his face wasn't even cruel, or holding the hint of being a portent to some harmful practical joke at Severus' expense. In fact, he looked amused.

It was new. It was off-putting.

Severus didn't know what to do with a Sirius who apparently found his retort amusing. That had never happened. Even when he'd tried to back when they were students and he'd encounter the four of them with Lily.

"What game are you playing, Black?"

He held his hands up in a familiar gesture, as if surrendering. He was also simultaneously showing Severus that he was not holding his wand.

"No games, Severus. I have tried to get you to come to us for five years."

Again, he used his given name, so Severus hadn't imagined it moments ago.

"You will forgive me if an invitation from you is treated suspiciously."

Black scowled. He opened his mouth and then shut it again almost immediately, lips thinning, as if he wanted to say something but held back. Instead, he merely nodded. Severus wasn't sure he'd ever seen the wizard outwardly think that hard.

"I deserved that."

Severus said nothing. He wasn't sure what to say.

"And yet, despite how we treated you, you saved my life."

Was that how he saw it?

Merlin.

Severus had no idea that was the case. He'd done no such thing. Merely told Albus something didn't add up with Sirius Black betraying James Potter and his godson. And his thoughts on the three friends being animagi, which would mean Peter could be hiding out in that form. He'd observed the two friends enough while they were students to know they were loyal to one another. And Sirius had been proud about being named godfather to the Potters' eldest (and only as the fates cast it) son. There were other things, too, all pointing to the fact this wizard just wouldn't have done that.

He did not like the idea of Sirius Black thinking he owed him a life debt or something.

"I did no such thing. Please do not exaggerate."

"Okay, maybe you didn't literally save my life, Severus. Albus said it was you who suggested to him I be informed of what Remus was doing when I started to get suspicious of which side he was on. I can't imagine losing all three of them close together. I can't imagine raising Harry without Remus' input. I never wanted to be a father. Being disowned sort of soured me to passing on my name to anyone. You saved me from people believing I betrayed James, and Lily. From Azkaban. It is essentially the same thing as saving my life. You certainly saved Harry's."

"Harry's?" Severus asked. How had he saved anything for Harry? He was an orphan! He couldn't stop that from happening! "His parents are dead, Black."

"Now you're being obtuse, Severus. Have you actually seen who Harry would have been entrusted to if I was arrested and placed in Azkaban?"

No, he hadn't seen her, but he didn't need to to know. With both sets of grandparents deceased, the boy would have gone to his only living relative.

"Petunia Evans."

"Dursley now."

"Someone married that woman?"

Merlin, she could find a spouse, someone to pursue her, and he couldn't? What in the world did that say? He wasn't the most personable wizard, he knew that. But, Merlin. He shuddered at some of the memories of Lily's eldest sister.

"Oh yes, a fine specimen of a man Harry's uncle is, too. They have a son who is about a month older than Harry. Gluttonous, status-hungry humans, all three of them. I have tried to include them in birthdays or a dinner out occasionally, they are Harry's relatives. I'm not his blood."

"They will not?"

"No."

"I can try to talk to Petunia…" Severus offered.

He didn't want to. He hadn't liked her the few times he met her when they were children. He doubted her temperament had improved over the years. She'd been an uppity bitch back then. Severus was pretty sure she was … jealous … of Lily's abilities. Her claims of it being evil were just unfounded. Surely, she saw Lily wasn't summoning demons or anything with her abilities.

"Or you could meet your friend's son, Severus."

"I do not know that she would…" And there it was, his fear. He hadn't meant to be so forthcoming with the wizard.

"If she had lived to know what I suspect, she absolutely would."

Severus scoffed.

"The headmaster says he trusts you. I am not in Azkaban, the headmaster says, because of your investigative efforts. My mind says Dumbledore is correct in placing his trust in you, despite the rumors I've heard that you're still associating with various undesirables."

Severus grimaced. Yes, he was. He didn't really have a choice in that. If Albus was correct, and the Dark Lord could return. Well, it wouldn't do for him to burn those bridges. They believed anything he did against the Dark Lord was because of, for, Lily. It meant he still had to tread carefully in all aspects of his life: professional and personal.

"And yet you are inviting me to see your ward. I am not a blood relation to him either."

"You know things about, have memories of, Lily that Remus and I do not. I said I trust you, Severus."

Severus sighed heavily. "Black, I cannot be seen…" That was the last thing they needed, him being seen not just with Black but with Potter's spawn.

"I can bring him here. Surely the headmaster could arrange a private meeting somewhere in this huge castle. Or to your house."

He scoffed. He wouldn't allow this wizard within ten feet of his house. Few knew of its location, and he preferred to keep it that way. He'd been in Black's home at Grimmauld Place. He really didn't want the wizard to see how much … squalor Severus had been raised with. The Evans' were from the other side of town.

The good side.

"Why?"

"Because his mother cared enough to keep talking to you, defending you, no matter what James and I said or did to get her to think or do otherwise."

Severus glanced away. He remembered the lengths those four wizards had gone to. Severus had turned the other cheek, as Albus wanted him to do, more often than not. There were times, though, he had to defend himself. There was turning the other cheek, and there was ending up in the Infirmary. That happened once, and Albus had agreed that it shouldn't happen again. He'd come here to escape being abused. He'd never done anything against them, merely deflected their spells aimed at him as best as he could. Well, to the best as others believed he could.

"Let me think about it," he said.

"That's better than a no."

Severus was quiet, assessing the other wizard. Black seemed to know this, and allowed him to. He didn't flinch or fidget. He could sense no barbs or underlying insults in that last sentence. Years of constantly looking over his shoulder were hard to just forget about. However, the wizard had come here. He had sought him out. He'd come to Hogwarts, knowing Severus hadn't taken him up on his offers to visit with Harry Potter for five years. Yet, he continued asking.

Until today, Albus had been the bearer of the invitations.

"How is the boy?" he finally asked.

"Harry. His name is Harry. I know you are aware." Yes, he knew his name. Thinking of him as ‘the boy' kept it less … real. Real that his efforts to defeat the Dark Lord hadn't concluded before Halloween evening 1981. "He is fine. As fine as a six year old who witnessed his parents' murder can be at any rate."

Severus grimaced at that. He doubted Harry remembered much, if anything, at all about that night, but Black had a point. The boy was witness to his parents being struck down in front of him. Would it really … hurt anything to see the child?

Lily's son.

It sounded as if his godfather understood Severus had to be cautious. What exactly had Albus told him? Lily and James had to know by now that he wasn't what he seemed, so they wouldn't be …upset at his presence. He had to believe they knew because he never had gotten the chance to tell Lily the truth. Obviously.

Would they?

"Perhaps over the upcoming holidays," he said finally.

Black's eyes widened at that. Obviously, Severus had surprised him.

"Yes," Sirius said, voice sounding … strained with that one word. "Tell me where and when."

"I will."

He watched as Black stood then, walking to the door.

"And … Sirius," he said.

"Yes?" he asked, turning to face him with his hand still on the handle.

"Thank you for the opportunity."

Sirius nodded. He, gratefully, refrained from saying the opportunity had been on the table for years. It was Severus' stubbornness that had him refusing until now. "I will warn you ahead of time."

"Of?"

"He looks just like James, except for his eyes," he said. "Those are all Lily."

Severus nodded then, looking away as Sirius took the opportunity to leave.

******

He found Albus in his office later that evening. His gaze fell on the portraits. What he had to say should be private.

"Leave us, please," Severus said.

It was clear from his tone he was telling, not asking.

He'd been tortured and taken the bloody Dark Mark for the headmaster. He could damn well order the portraits in this office to vacate. He hadn't ever before now, but there was a first time for everything he supposed.

"What's this about, Severus?" No doubt realizing it must be something of import if Severus was asking the portrait inhabitants to vacate.

He waited as the occupants of the various portraits left. They were used to it by now. He and Albus had meetings usually once every month or two to discuss information Severus continued to gather. The headmaster was still convinced the Dark Lord could return. They just weren't accustomed to Severus being the one to direct them to leave.

"I just had a visit that has left me wondering if you've forgotten your usual careful discretion. You told Black about me?"

"No, I told him what he needed to know. That he owed his freedom to you figuring out it was Peter Pettigrew and not Sirius who betrayed the Potters. I reiterated to him that I trust you without a doubt. I've done that for years, though. And not just with Mr. Black. Why? Has something happened?"

He sounded somewhat concerned. Severus had to admit he … liked that tone there. It meant that fifteen years later, now an adult and no longer a child, Albus still … cared. As he really had no one else to care for him, he liked the reassurance once in a while that this wizard still did.

"He wants me to see Harry."

Albus set his quill down, a reflection Severus had his full attention now.

"This is nothing new," he said, stating the obvious. "That has been the case for five years now. What is the problem?"

"I'm not sure that I can, or even should. You know why, so please don't ask me … again why I don't. I wasn't expecting…" Well, he hadn't been expecting Sirius Black to come here to extend the offer to him personally. To be not just considerate, but also kind. Respectful.

"See the boy, Severus. You have sworn to protect him after all. It's been five years. I know Sirius knows how to be discreet."

He grimaced. "I'm not sure why you asked that of me. He has a werewolf and Black to look after him." Sirius was an animagus, a good-sized dog. Certainly, both men could protect him just fine.

"They are not you , Severus. They do not have your abilities. Remember what I told you back in your first year about Black and Potter?"

"I do," Severus said. "I'm not sure to this day I buy it, but I remember."

"I asked you to protect him because, unlike Sirius, your emotion for Lily is sincere. Sirius and James were friends but the same … affection and commitment did not exist between them. You valued Lily's friendship, even as you grew apart. You did many things, I know, hoping that it would pave the way to her having an easier life here in the wizarding world. I'm not sure Sirius or James felt that way about one another. They might have left Hogwarts and realized that they were not as alike as they thought a few years later. Without the war, of course. The goings on of that time sort of cemented their closeness. I know you will protect her son. Sirius," he shrugged, steepling his hands together and resting his chin on his fingertips. "Sirius' feelings for James, while valid and true, were not rooted the same as yours." Albus watched him. "If the shoe was on the other foot, Severus. If your positions had been reversed, I would not have made the deal with Sirius I made with you. He is not the man I knew you could be."

Severus scoffed.

He still, fifteen years later, had no idea how he'd caught the headmaster's attention to begin with. It took him until about midway through his second year to realize that, until the day Albus Dumbledore had shown up at his childhood home that August day in 1971, he had never seen the headmaster before. He knew who he was, the same as anyone magical did, of course. How the headmaster knew of him … a half blood wizard living in muggle Cokeworth … was the question. Fifteen years later, he still didn't know the answer either.

Albus never told him. He likely never would.

"See the boy, Severus. If you are not comfortable and don't wish to a second time, fine, but at least you'll know for certain."

"Is he in school?" He was six, so should be. Sirius could be homeschooling him, but Severus didn't see the wizard doing that for some reason. Unless Lupin was helping him. Lupin would be a more than capable teacher.

"Yes," Albus said.

"He is doing well?"

"He is."

Severus nodded. James Potter wasn't an imbecile and neither was Lily. Hopefully, Harry inherited their intellect. Severus supposed he'd find out in five years.

"I can trust he won't tell anyone I'm seeing the boy? You and I know that cannot get out."

"I haven't told him anything, but I think he understands that everything is not what it seems with you. He knows you encouraged me to tell him that Remus was working on something for me and the Order."

"He was clearly getting suspicious. His suspicion of me was correctly placed, and meant I was doing my job convincingly. Lupin didn't deserve to be ostracized even more than he was."

Severus rolled his eyes, unable to believe he was saying that out loud! And yet there it was.

"Yes, Severus, you can trust him. Within reason. You are still not to tell him anything, but suggesting a neutral muggle place to see Harry would be acceptable."

"I will think about it." He turned to leave then, setting his hand on the door that would lead to the stairs. "He called me Severus," he murmured.

"A sign he's not that boy any longer, Severus. You took a huge responsibility on your shoulders as a child. I helped you through it, taught you many things. Sirius became a father to a child, a baby really, on a moment's notice and has done so with very little assistance."

"It is commendable," Severus said.

"I'm glad that you can see that."

Left unsaid was that perhaps that was a sign he wasn't that boy any longer either.

*****

Albus grabbed a lemon drop from the candy dish on his desk, popping it into his mouth with a sigh once Severus was gone. The portraits were still empty. They were nosey, but they respected that they couldn't risk them having knowledge someone could pry out of them.

He had hoped that things would be different for Severus. He supposed he should have realized they wouldn't really be. When would he have had the chance to make friends? Even on his best days, Severus was not a trusting or very social man. Albus had earned his trust, but the headmaster had no doubt that the other wizard probably believed he'd been set up and used.

He was, honestly, surprised to hear the favorable comments about him as a professor. His first year had been. Well, pretty bleak. Understandably. Albus had gotten complaints from many other staff members regarding Severus that year. He'd held firm. He (and Tom) needed Severus at Hogwarts. It was important he be here. So things were a little different than he knew of usually. Severus in a better mood was not a part of any memories he had.

He knew that Severus spent time with Darren Matteshall, the potions master he'd apprenticed under. That wizard was busy, though, as he had a new apprentice now. As Severus had never had any friends that Albus was familiar with previously, he wasn't sure who to push him in the direction of.

He hoped he'd give Sirius and Remus a chance. Only time would tell. Albus was admittedly surprised Sirius had taken the step he had today. That was huge for Sirius, and he hoped Severus recognized that.

Sirius.

Albus closed his eyes with a shake of his head as the tartness of the lemon drop coated his tongue and throat. The wizard had never been guardian to Harry Potter before. Albus did not know a timeline where Sirius Black hadn't spent years in Azkaban for a crime he, ultimately, hadn't committed.

Betraying the Potters.

The Potters.

Another sigh at the idea that he could not alter that event. He recalled a timeline where the Potters had been spared, but that had not had the desired end for the world. In fact, Voldemort had been particularly brutal during the timeline the Potters had survived. Not quite as bad as the rule he'd been accustomed to as a boy under Tom's followers, but bad nonetheless.

Lily Potter. Her love. The ultimate sacrifice she made with love in her heart and mind. Albus had made a snap decision when he and Severus discussed Sybil Trelawney and the prophecy she'd revealed to Albus. That end could not be altered.

He did have Darren Matteshall working with his apprentice on potions that might reverse the effects the Longbottoms were experiencing from their extended exposure to the cruciatus. As far as he was aware, that hadn't ever been done before.

One more chance.

He had one more chance to ensure Voldemort died and Severus survived. If these decisions he made were incorrect. Well, he'd know in due time, he wagered.

He stood then, making his way to his quarters and the secret room he had there. Hogwarts truly was amazing in accommodating him with this need. He cast a wandless lumos. The room was empty except for a locked and warded cabinet.

In it were the items he had found and destroyed the evil contained within them.

Tom Riddle's diary.

The Gaunt ring.

Slytherin's locket.

Hufflepuff's cup.

Ravenclaw's diadem.

Hidden, and not on display as a couple of them should be, just in case Tom had told anyone about what he was doing with the items. Albus didn't believe he had. In all of the timelines, it was only the most recent one that Albus himself had even become aware of horcruxes. As he was already dead when the war ended, and then brought back in time again. Well, he had no idea if Harry, Ron, and Hermione had truly gotten them all or not.

He had to hope.

Hidden because, until he could discuss with Severus the possibility of creating a potion to rid Harry Potter of the piece of Thomas Riddle's soul contained inside of him, he had to be sure no one was aware these had been destroyed. That a horcrux still existed. That there was even the remotest possibility Voldemort could be brought back.

This time, it would be at Harry's expense, if there was anyone besides Horace who knew Tom had an interest in horcruxes. Sadly, Albus did not know. His own fault, he supposed, for keeping things too close to his chest in various timelines. Harry needed to be at Grimmauld Place where he was protected, not just by Sirius and the Black family's magic. But by a werewolf. And a potions master.

Albus knew the boy would be safe with those three wizards looking out for him.

He ran a finger over each item, assuring himself that they were still truly here, that they hadn't been replicated somehow. (He knew they hadn't been, but he wasn't being too careful this time.) That done, he closed the cabinet, waving his hand so that it would not be visible to anyone.

He stroked his beard, chewing the last bit of the lemon drop with a heavy sigh.

He was on the right path this time. He knew it.

He had to be.

Return to Top

Part 5 | Part 7

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com