***Chapter Two***
October 1971

It was about six weeks into the school year when Severus received a note that Headmaster Dumbledore wished to see him almost as soon as he had taken his seat in Astronomy class. The class hadn't even started yet.

What was that about? Why not send the note at the end of the last class so he wouldn't have had to come here at all?

"What's the matter, Snape?" James Potter said when he stood after reading the note. He stood a bit enthusiastically. Hopefully no one noticed. He really found Astronomy rather dull.

Couple that with the fact he spent six weeks wondering if the headmaster forgot about him. Or remembered (Severus didn't think it likely the headmaster would forget someone he'd spent not just an entire day with but a lot of galleons on. He was older, for sure, but not ancient or senile) but was … disappointed … he'd been sorted into Slytherin. The headmaster was not very good at hiding his overall distrust of those in his house.

Severus wasn't certain yet whether that distrust was valid or misplaced.

"Do you miss your mummy and need to go home?" Sirius Black said.

"His mummy clearly doesn't miss us," Peter Pettigrew said with a laugh that made Severus grit his teeth.

At least his mum was talking to him!

He was never going to live down the fact that his mother married a muggle and gave up magic.

As if it was his fault.

He, clearly, hadn't even been born!

He was here, so his mum wanted him to get his magical education, as he had the right to, being a wizard.

He shuddered to think what the four (though Lupin never seemed as mean as the other three) would have to say to, or about, him if the headmaster hadn't taken him shopping. His mum couldn't have afforded half of the stuff the headmaster bought.

Severus rolled his eyes, ignoring the cocky Gryffindors as he slid his books into his satchel before heading toward the front of the class. He wished he knew what he'd done to catch their … negative attention.

So far, thankfully, his grades were doing his talking for him. The points he was earning for Slytherin helped, too. Nothing he said was going to make any difference to them anyway. Why they hated him, he hadn't a clue. He'd never met them, or even heard of them, until the day he'd boarded the Hogwarts Express with Lily.

He couldn't say it didn't bother him that Lily didn't defend him much. He heard her tell them to stop as he walked toward the front of the class, as she had other times. That was as far as she went. She never said he was her friend so they should leave him alone. It hurt, not as much as the endless teasing her new friends gave him. He'd learned that words could take longer to heal from than physical blows sometimes.

New friends because she was in Gryffindor. He knew, even before his mother told him, that a muggleborn witch had very little chance of being sorted into Slytherin. She seemed to think she might have been back when she attended Hogwarts. Maybe, his mum had said. Things were too different now, his mother told him. He wasn't sure what that meant, and she hadn't explained.

He handed Miss Shurland the note. She scowled a bit, probably thinking he was up to something, as he was not discreet about his distrust of the usefulness of her subject. She cast a couple of spells on the parchment. No doubt trying to ensure it was truly sent by the headmaster. Severus thought Astronomy was the biggest waste of his day there was, so he wasn't at all upset about getting a pass from today's class.

While he was capable of writing a fake note. Very convincingly, for that matter. He, however, was not stupid enough to sign the headmaster's name to it. That would be an exceptional way to get not just detention but expelled, he wagered.

He was curious as to what the headmaster wanted, so moved a little faster than he might have if it was anyone else who summoned him. Like Professor Slughorn.

Severus made his way through the halls toward the tower he knew the headmaster's office was located. The moving staircases even seemed to be on his side, as they were where he needed them to be. He hadn't had reason to actually go there until now, but everyone knew the way.

Honestly, Headmaster Dumbledore hadn't given any indication when seeing Severus the past six weeks at meals and what not that he even recalled spending most of an entire day with him just a couple months ago.

He hadn't expected a hug or anything, but there'd been no eye contact even (and the headmaster seemed to pay a lot of attention to the Slytherin table at meals, Severus noticed). It was a good thing he hadn't told anyone about their day at Diagon Alley. He would have gone from looking like a braggart to a liar in a flash. He had enough disadvantages coming here thanks to his mum.

He whispered the password that appeared on the parchment when he got to the gargoyle statue and went up the stairs that appeared. He knocked lightly on the door. Expecting him or not, it seemed rude just to walk in.

"Come in," the faint but familiar voice of the headmaster beckoned from the other side of the closed door.

Severus opened the door, stepping inside. He saw the headmaster sitting at a rather ornate (and very obviously old) desk, but he didn't walk in that direction right away. He stopped on this side of the threshold, taking a moment to take in the office. Nice portraits, expensive baubles, more than enough room so the occupant wouldn't feel claustrophobic, and well-kempt antique furnishings. Yes, this was definitely a position, a space, he would like to achieve and occupy one day.

Wouldn't that just piss off James Potter, Sirius Black, and those like him. Their offspring's education being overseen by him.

"You sent for me, Headmaster, Sir?"

"Yes, Mister Snape. Thank you for being so prompt. It is appreciated. I suppose Miss Shurland wasn't overly pleased with your absence."

"No. She didn't say anything, but she had a look in her eyes that told me she was not."

The headmaster gave a soft chuckle. The look in his eye told Severus that he was legitimately amused. Severus, even at the age of eleven despite others thinking he wouldn't, was aware of how someone appeared when they were displeased. The headmaster didn't question him, though, or ask him how he would know.

"Well, the absence is excused, so you have no fear of your grade suffering."

That was a relief. A waste of curriculum or not, he couldn't afford even one bad grade. Forget his expectations. He would be ridiculed if he got anything less than Outstanding consistently. Even if his muggle father didn't understand the magical grading system, his son had never underperformed in school. If he started doing so here at Hogwarts, his father would just use that against him as proof he took after him more than his mother.

His mum knew, and somewhere along the line she had stopped protecting him as she used to. As she was supposed to as his mother. So, he couldn't count on her not telling his father if his grades were not stellar. In fact, she'd told him that with his father's nose and rather plain looks, he'd have to achieve his lifelong happiness in his professional endeavors.

Basically, she'd been telling him he wasn't going to get a wife, so get the grades to ensure he'd have a good career so that he wouldn't turn into his father. And maybe one day, a wife could follow. (She hadn't seemed overly hopeful that one would.)

At least that's what Severus had taken from that conversation. A woman marrying him for his … position and accomplishments was the best he could hope for. That was what she'd implied.

"Thank you, Sir."

"You're welcome. Now."

He stood from his desk then, turning away from Severus.

"All right," the headmaster said. His hands were clasped behind his back, and he looked like a man who was accustomed to controlling a room. Controlling a room the right way, not the way his father accomplished such a thing.

Severus wasn't sure who the headmaster was talking to. There was no one else in the room with them that Severus could see.

The headmaster gave a soft clicking sound, exhaling sharply. "Everyone out."

Severus was fairly certain the headmaster wasn't speaking to him. He'd just gotten here, and had been invited here. He did straighten his stance and shift on his feet a bit, wondering if he was in fact being asked to leave. Had it, this wizard's kindness, been some kind of joke after all?

"But headmaster," a voice came from someone Severus couldn't see, and didn't even realize was in the office with them. Were they disillusioned?

It took him longer than he would probably ever admit to anyone to realize it was coming from one of the portraits on the wall.

And wasn't that intriguing.

He'd heard of magical portraits that could talk. He'd seen the ones throughout the halls of Hogwarts move but, until now, hadn't heard anyone have a conversation with one.

Or several of them, as was the case in this instance it seemed.

"Leave us. All of you. Find other paintings for the next two hours to visit, and only one of you return to ensure it's acceptable to do so."

It took a few minutes, and a few declarations of obvious irritation (which Severus found quite amusing), but soon it seemed the headmaster was satisfied that they had the room to themselves. The headmaster turned to look at Severus then, winking at him with an almost reticent shrug.

"They seem to forget that they're no longer the headmasters or headmistresses any longer."

Severus gave an awkward smile at that declaration. Surely, the people the portraits portrayed knew they were dead and no longer occupied the position this wizard held. And had for nearly fifteen years, at least from Severus' reading.

"Come. Two hours will go fast."

It would? He planned on being here with Severus for two hours? Had he done something already? Had his parents? Merlin, was he being called home? Pulled from school? He would rather die than suffer the embarrassment of being expelled or pulled!

The headmaster led him to an area by his fireplace where he offered Severus tea. While the tea was brought to them by a house elf, Severus took notice of all the gadgets and items within eyesight. The headmaster was apparently fond of … collecting things. Most were magical, but there were a few muggle items as well. One was a spyglass, another an astrolabe the likes that Severus had never seen before.

Severus couldn't help but wonder if all of these … things were the headmaster's, or came with the office and position.

They talked for a little bit about how the school year was going. Severus told him of the classes he was having the easiest time with. There weren't any he was having a difficult time with, but classes like Astronomy held little interest to him. So he got bored easily, try as he might to pay complete attention. None of his responses seemed to surprise the headmaster.

So it seemed he wasn't getting expelled for an infraction he didn't know he'd committed. Or being called home by his parents. That relieved him to no end!

He didn't seem to want to limit him to just academic subjects either.

He asked about his knowledge of quidditch, which Severus was ashamed to admit was woefully inadequate. He heard some of his fellow Slytherins talk about it, especially during tryouts. He'd gone with his classmates, not wanting to admit he didn't know much about the sport, vowing to learn all he could before the actual matches started. Slytherin would be playing Gryffindor in the first match soon. Severus would not embarrass himself, so attended many of the practices. His housemates on the team assumed he wanted to try out next season.

Why hadn't his mum told him about these things like quidditch? Did she want him to come here and appear no more familiar with the world than a muggleborn?

He was interested, but would never be able to play. He couldn't afford a broom, and the Hogwarts' brooms were known to be rubbish when it came to using them for more than flight lessons. Rumor was, that was intentional, so that no one would try to do anything with them they shouldn't. He certainly wouldn't be able to afford good equipment. He'd seen the prices of some of the things in Quality Quidditch Supplies when he and the headmaster had walked through the store in August. He doubted the headmaster's … generosity … would extend to extracurricular activities.

He hesitated telling him about the trouble he was having with some of the Gryffindors, but the headmaster seemed to … know that he was withholding information from him, and so he eventually confided all. And it was just the Gryffindors. Maybe because he had classes with some of them. The Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs seemed to … respect his academic achievements to this point.

Respect.

Something he'd never gotten before. It wasn't enough, though, when a handful made him feel like shit. They did more than insult him, too.

Over six weeks of teasing, taunting, and physical torments came out.

He felt, in part, as if he was betraying his classmates, acting the role of a snitch or tattle tale. This was something that had been ingrained in him by his father not to do growing up. His father had told him time and time again to put it behind him. It was to the point now that Severus was rather proficient at ignoring insults hurled at him. He was able to … escape in his mind, to draw upon pleasant memories (few that there were) so that he would not show his father (or the Gryffindors here at Hogwarts) that his words bothered him. Funnily, the Gryffindors were often able to hit the mark better than his father could. Maybe not so funny since his father didn't have these … gifts coursing through him Severus had. So, he'd never dared try to tell Severus he wasn't worthy of being a wizard.

At the same time, he felt … heard.

Like respect, it was something he'd never had before.

It was clear the headmaster was actually listening to him.

For the first time in his life, he wasn't being ignored or brushed off. He knew the Blacks and Potters had way more money than the Snapes had, or could ever dream of. That didn't mean he should be treated as a second class citizen. Lesser than. He was magical, just as they were. He had earned his letter accepting him as a student at Hogwarts, the same as everyone else here had!

The room was quiet when he finished unloading six weeks' worth of frustration. He wouldn't say resentment. He didn't resent them. He just truly had no idea what he'd done to deserve their ire. That, and they were taking Lily away from him.

As his mum had said, he had brains.

As she had implied, girls didn't want brains.

He thought Lily was different.

Maybe if he had a healthy-looking body, one that wasn't too thin, she could see past his more than ordinary looks. He didn't know how to go about getting that. He tried to … put on weight, but it didn't work. He worked at things like mowing the lawn, and took part in sports fellow students played when he was in muggle school. He wasn't very good, was always the last one picked, but he tried.

Still, he was thin.

Too thin.

Too big of a nose.

Hair that looked greasy no matter what he did.

Poor.

Wearing clothes no other boy he'd seen wear.

"Mm," the headmaster said. "Unfortunately, my hands are tied when it comes to students whose last names are Black, Lupin, Pettigrew, or Potter. Their parents, their parents' parents, have a great deal of influence."

This response frustrated Severus.

He truly thought he'd finally get some … relief.

Evidently not.

He could see the headmaster believed what he told him to be true. What was the point of this meeting then? What was the point of him asking questions, prodding, and getting Severus to confess these things if he was going to do nothing? He didn't want to be known as the student who told on others six weeks into his time here!

He'd never live that down!

Looking at the headmaster, though, he thought he saw … compassion in the older wizard's blue eyes. He certainly didn't see scorn or hatred in them. He was quiet, sipping his tea, regarding Severus.

He wished he knew what he was looking for. Did he want to see something? Did he want Severus to say something? To ask him for help?

"Do you know what I'm saying, Severus?"

He swallowed hard, nodding. He knew exactly what he was saying.

Another reminder that he was … lower.

Less than.

He was here, he'd gotten his letter, but others were not sure he actually belonged. Likely, his four tormentors weren't the only ones either. They were just the ones who said it. Likely, there were staff who weren't sure, too.

He thought he was on his way to proving that he did belong. He was attentive in all of his classes. He did his work, above and beyond expectations even. He clearly was doing all of his homework, and then some. All of his professors had to know that. Did the headmaster? He was an active participant in his classes. Even Astronomy. He didn't go out of his way to show them all he knew the answers, but he engaged in discussions and would volunteer to answer a question now and again. His professors had to recognize that. Surely, the headmaster would have heard if Severus was underperforming.

"My parents do not have influence," he murmured, head bowed, stringy bangs falling in front of his face serving to frustrate him more, from embarrassment and shame. He truly had thought this wizard … liked him. Why had he taken him school shopping if this was what he thought of him? Why would he do that, only to say these things months later?

"Yes, quite. A little more blunt than I might have put it, but yes. At eleven, and growing up muggle with little knowledge of the world your mother left, you are not completely aware of the current wizarding climate. I'm honestly not even sure your mother is aware of things happening in our world right now, Severus. I did not cover that subject while we were doing your shopping. I didn't want to frighten you, or diminish your excitement about coming here. I didn't want your mother to change her mind on sending you. Your excitement is well placed, young man. You belong here, make no mistake about that. Don't let anyone ever make you think differently, no matter what they say. Don't let anything I say or do make you believe that you do not. Mssrs Potter, Black, Lupin, and Pettigrew are not going to be the last. And there will be a variety of reasons. Many fear the muggle world. Many hate muggles. Many dislike students of a particular house for various reasons. Just as I'm sure you experienced prejudice at home by others in your peer group based on your … station in life."

Severus grimaced. Yes. No one in his area of Cokeworth was wealthy, but he knew what the headmaster meant.

"Know and remember that I'm sitting here today, telling you that you do belong. Not just at Hogwarts, but in the magical world. Not only do you belong, but you are capable of great things. I am sure of it, however, I am headmaster to all students, and must represent Hogwarts. I cannot undo the parenting that students experienced prior to arriving here. Hogwarts is reliant on families like the Blacks, Potters, Malfoys, LeStranges, and many others contributing to keep the school on the cutting edge of magical education."

"Okay."

He got it. He did. He knew from the moment he walked into these halls that he was … miniscule in the grand scheme of things. He hated that feeling, he'd felt that way at home. He'd expected to feel differently here. He expected to finally belong, to be a part of something.

"To that end," the headmaster said.

Severus grew … frightened. Unsure what the headmaster was going to do. To what end? Was he sending him home after all?

"Do you remember the payback I mentioned to you the day we went to Diagon Alley?"

"Yes."

Of course he did. He'd been suspicious of what the wizard was going to ask from him in return. He'd spent a ton of money that day. There was no way it was going to be something easy.

Or fun.

"I'm calling it in, Severus."

Severus stiffened at those words.

Here it came.

That it took him two months from that day to do so was a little surprising.

The man was going to ask for, or want something, wrong. He knew it. There was no way paying back that much money spent was going to be fun. No one was that nice as to make it something easy. He hadn't had the money in August. He certainly didn't now. The headmaster had to know that, too.

"Are you ready?"

"I don't know," he answered honestly. He really didn't. Merlin, if it was something horrible and Severus said no, the headmaster would send him home. And make him give back everything he'd bought that day in Diagon Alley. Never mind it was the first time in his life, that he could remember anyway, having new clothes. Everything had been bought new.

The headmaster gave a low chuckle.

"Here goes, Severus. I'm going to ask you to grow a thick skin, to turn the other cheek. I know what I'm asking you goes against how and what you are, and I know that it won't be easy. You are a proud young man, even at this age. You have every right to be, even if others don't see that. Yet. It's important though that you do so."

"But, Sir."

If he deserved to be here, why did he have to let the others treat him poorly?

"Hear me out here, Severus. If you do this. If you learn to ignore them and to control your anger. In exchange I will teach you things…"

"Sir?" Severus wasn't sure he liked the sound of that. Not at all.

"Suspicious already at such a young age, but I assure you these are things that I can teach you that you will want to know. I should like to start with occlumency."

Severus perked up at that.

That wasn't at all what he'd been expecting. Kindly old wizard seeming or not, Severus had been expecting something illicit, illegal, or disgusting.

He hadn't thought too hard on the illicit or illegal options. Beyond debating on his … response when they were suggested to him. And never coming up with an answer. It would be difficult to say no to any suggestion this man made after what he'd spent on him. And him spending the money on him meant he came here able to hold his head a little higher, feel as if he belonged a little more, than if he'd come here on his mum and dad's dime.

The disgusting things, though. Well, he'd pictured things like picking up creature excrement off Hogwarts' grounds or something. They had more than dogs and cats roaming the grounds of the castle, Severus knew. The warning to stay out of the Forbidden Forest did not mean that the creatures didn't ever leave it.

So, the headmaster teaching him something had never once entered his mind.

He'd read about occlumency, it was referenced in an advanced text he started to read one day when he was caught up - and ahead - on all of his required reading. He thought, assumed, he was years away from occlumency being a thing he'd be able to learn about beyond what he'd read.

How was him learning things going to pay the headmaster back?

"I assure you, Severus, so long as you keep to your end of the deal. A deal that I know will be difficult, but I hope to entice you into making that skin as thick as possible. I will teach you everything you wish to know that will go toward you being the not just capable but powerful wizard I know that you have the potential of being. I have been here a long time, both as a student and a professor, before taking on my current position. I dare say I can count on one hand how many wizards or witches I think could outsmart you. And those that could, wouldn't be able to do so easily."

His head snapped up at those words. Well, that was … flattering. Bolstering even. Was he serious? He was almost one hundred years old. He'd fought Grindelwald!

He had to be joking. Severus was only eleven!

The headmaster set his teacup down then, leaning toward Severus.

"Your age doesn't matter, Severus," he said, as if he knew what Severus had been thinking. Maybe he did? "I know what I know. Between you and me, I will never repeat this after this moment: not to you, not to anyone, but know that I am sincere when I say it. People like Potter and Black are scared of you, Severus. Envious. You come here from a mother who turned her back on her family as well as magic, have partially muggle roots, knowing little about the magical world despite your mother's maiden name being a respected one in our world. You have very humble origins, which means you are not as … worldly as some might be. Yet you exhibit natural power second to none of all the first years here, and that scares them. They see it. Everything I'm saying here today is sincere, even if I cannot speak so freely again. You are smart. You are already top of your class from what I've heard."

He leaned back then, taking his teacup in hand again.

"Yes," he said, bristling slightly at the implication he should be anything but. He hadn't thought of Potter or Black, anyone really, having anything to fear from him. Was that true? He had no idea. How did one tell such a thing was true?

"It bothers them. They should be top of the class, not a half-blood raised in muggle Cokeworth. They don't know how to deal with it. You must learn to ignore them. To learn, both from your classes and from me. I expect great things from you, Severus. So, you hold to your end of our bargain, no matter what, and I will ensure that you leave here with your head held high and immense knowledge and power. But you must grow that thick skin, turn the other cheek, and realize that it's fear and jealousy that drives them more than hatred."

Was that true? It seemed too simple, and yet this man had seen tons. He had to know what he was talking about.

"All right."

"There may come a time that my request goes beyond just growing a thick skin and turning the other cheek, but know that you are always free to say no to anything I ask after today."

The headmaster peered at him over the tops of his glasses. Severus nodded simply.

"I want to learn."

"Excellent." His eyes sparkled then. "We will start today, of course, and then we will have to come up with a time outside of your normally scheduled classes. I can't keep excusing you from them. Your school work might suffer, as unlikely as I know that is, I don't want to risk it. Others would grow suspicious of my summoning you so frequently as well."

"Oh, right," he said, slightly disappointed he wouldn't get out of Astronomy for good. "Of course, Sir."

"Do you know what a patronus is, Severus?"

"Yes, Sir. I have read about them."

The headmaster smiled a bit, as if he'd expected that answer. He probably had. The library! He couldn't believe all the knowledge he had at his fingertips. The library in Cokeworth was … decent, but it was small. The library here, Severus was pretty sure he could spend weeks inside of it and still not even see all of the books available.

"Excellent!"

He didn't sound surprised by Severus' admission, merely pleased.

How strange.

He was accustomed to teachers being suspicious of his reading ahead. Last year, his teacher accused him of lying about a book because it wasn't found in the Cokeworth Library. It was the one time his mum defended him and told his teacher to check out the British Library to expand his knowledge. His mum, for all her faults, believed in education and pushed Severus to learn all that he could. His father agreed with her on that point. He'd never understood why.

"Mine is a phoenix," he said, gesturing to the live version of the bird in question that apparently resided in the office. Judging by the perch and such, he presumed he spent a good deal of time here anyway. Fawkes, Severus thought he'd heard the bird's name was. "I will take the next week to figure out where and when we can do our lessons. I will send my patronus to you, discreetly. Follow it, and it will lead you to our next appointment. We will set an ongoing time then."

"Okay."

"Let's begin then, shall we, before those nosey portrait inhabitants come back. They're a curious lot," he said with a wink.

"Yes, Sir," he said. This was really happening?

"You're not going to like the feeling of me in your mind, Severus. Please don't get frustrated. You will learn how to keep me out, I have every confidence in that."

Maybe he should look at this whole thing suspiciously, but he couldn't see the harm in letting the headmaster teach him these things. He doubted somehow the man did this for many other students. He was the headmaster, he wouldn't have time to privately tutor anyone. He had told the portraits to leave for two hours.

Severus wasn't sure anyone had ever given him their undivided attention for two hours before in his life.

*****

Severus made his way to the Slytherin common room after spending over two hours with the headmaster. He didn't like having someone in his mind.

At all.

Just as the headmaster said would be the case.

It felt … invasive on a base level that exceeded his fury when his parents rooted through his room for contraband after his father saw his Blind Faith album cover (and found it offensive). The headmaster assured him that, with practice, he would be able to keep him out. He seemed to think that Severus was a natural at it.

Whatever that meant.

"Where have you been, Severus?"

He was surprised it was Lucius Malfoy asking this question when he returned to the Slytherin common room. That anyone noticed he was missing was odd, but Lucius was a seventh year. Surely, the other wizard had better things to do than pay his comings and goings much mind. Though Severus could admit he did appear to have captured Lucius' attention. He wasn't sure yet if that was good or bad. Based on the type of attention he received from Potter and his cronies, it was difficult to tell. His fellow Slytherins seemed to attribute his hesitancy to let them in as shyness. He supposed it was, but it was also fear. He didn't know how to let people in. He didn't want to embarrass his mother. The Princes. Slytherins.

The headmaster told him he might get asked about disappearing from his Astronomy class, so he had an excuse ready.

"Studying," he said, gesturing to his satchel. It was probably a good thing he'd been sent for while at class. Any other time, he may not have had his satchel on him to use as an excuse for a two hour absence.

"Christoph and Dominick were told that you were called to the headmaster's office. I hope everything is all right." There was a … hint (subtle as it was, Severus heard it) of question in his voice.

So, Avery and Mulciber had … reported to Lucius. Interesting, and something to store away for the next time the headmaster called him (he wasn't holding his breath that it would be next week, but was hoping).

So, he wanted information. Gossip. Things to pass onto others. He didn't know the wizard well, but it was obvious the wizard liked to have knowledge … about everyone and everything he could.

"Oh," he said. He hadn't realized anyone really noticed his absence. He thought he more or less blended in with the surroundings for most. Even others in his house. "Yes, I was in and out in about twenty minutes. Just some news from home," he lied. "From there, I went to study since my classes were done and I'd been excused from Astronomy."

It was a lie of course, but a good choice. No one gave a shit about his poor muggleborn father, or the pureblood witch who had married him and turned her back on the wizarding world. In fact, no one in the six weeks he'd been here had asked him about his parents or anything about his childhood. It was as if they didn't want to know.

That was okay as far as Severus was concerned. The supplies the headmaster purchased for him were nicer than anything he would have been able to get if his mum had gone shopping with him. Even he knew that. At the time, he wasn't sure how galleons and knuts converted to pounds or pence, but he knew they were costly. No one seemed to know he was poorer than dirt, and he preferred it that way.

"Will you be leaving?"

Did Malfoy want him to leave? Or was he hoping he wouldn't have to? Severus wasn't sure.

"No, nothing that serious," he said.

"Good."

He sounded as if he meant it, so he made his way to Lucius and the others he was sitting with.

"I do still have to go to the library after dinner," Severus said.

"Of course you do," Lucius said.

He knew the older wizard was laughing at him.

Somewhat.

His grades so far were making most people laugh less and less. He could live with that. And, clearly, he had the attention of the headmaster. Lucius Malfoy didn't have that. Nor did anyone else in this room.

He took heart in that.

He had a secret.

A pretty good one, too.

*****

January 9, 1972

"You are in a foul mood tonight, Severus," Albus said, observing the young wizard. Four months into this excursion, and he was starting to get to know - and recognize - this young version of Severus' moods. He truly never noticed in the previous times he'd experienced these years of his time as a student.

He felt a little bad for that today.

The young wizard who, no matter the timeline, always became Albus' friend. They hadn't always gotten to be close friends in every timeline he'd experienced thus far. They were always friends, though. He'd never embarked on the path toward making that so intentionally, and certainly not when the wizard was only eleven years old before.

Now twelve.

He was more than accustomed to Severus and foul moods. They went together naturally. Like coffee and biscotti. He was not used to pre-pubescent Severus and foul moods. It was, he was finding, quite a different animal.

"I'm sorry, Sir," Severus said, sounding more than just a little sullen.

Albus squelched the chuckle. He'd lose everything he carefully gained during these lessons the past couple of months if the younger wizard thought he was being laughed at. Despite the low self-esteem he knew Severus Snape was a victim of, he was a proud young man and could not bear being laughed at or ridiculed.

They met once a week in an abandoned classroom on the fourth floor. Albus ensured all the potions equipment and supplies young Severus could want or need were here as well. He also ensured the room was hidden from any locator spells. He wasn't certain when the Marauders created their map, but he wanted this to be a safe space for Severus for the entirety of his time here at Hogwarts.

He told the young wizard if, for some reason, Albus couldn't make one of their sessions he wanted the wizard to practice up on his potion making, hinting to the wizard that if he got adept enough at making certain things young wizards and witches used, he could make some money to have a few galleons in his pocket by the time he was a third year and able to go to Hogsmeade.

"Perhaps I should save this for another night then," he said, gesturing to a table that until that moment looked empty. Now, though, a present was on it. The elves did a good job making it not overly obvious what the gift was. (Though Severus was intelligent, the size of the item would give it away.)

"Sir?"

"It is your birthday, is it not?"

Severus tilted his head for a moment, and Albus wondered if he truly was the only one who remembered, or even knew, what day it was. Had the wizard received nothing from his parents? Not even a card from his mother on his first birthday away from home? Yet another thing Albus had never taken the time to notice about this young man in all of the timelines lived. Why would he have? He was just one of hundreds.

"I suppose it is."

"Well, go on then," he said, gesturing to the table.

It was obvious Severus was itching to see what was contained within the wrapping. Oh, he tried to hide it, but Albus had more years than this Severus realized of observing him to recognize the mood. He wagered, other than Albus taking him shopping in August, this was the first gift the wizard had received in a long time.

Albus watched as the young wizard tore into the wrapping. The ribbon was slid off quickly. The paper was unsalvageable by the time he was done. And then, there was silence as he let his hand hover over the length of the most recent Nimbus model broom.

"Thank you, Headmaster."

"You are most welcome. It will have to stay in here, for now. We will arrange times for you to be able to practice with it outside. I may have to enlist Hagrid's assistance, but he is loyal. I've noticed your interest and that you not only attend the quidditch matches but the practices as well. So, next year, I expect to see you tryout for the Slytherin quidditch team."

Severus nodded, a glint of excitement in his eyes Albus wasn't sure he'd ever seen before. 

"Yes, Sir."

Had he wanted to play quidditch? Albus knew as a professor he was competitive about matches, but he'd never noticed the boy might have been interested in playing when he was a student. Of course, it would have been completely unattainable under ordinary circumstances for Severus without Albus' assistance.

Albus knew the boy understood. He could not be seen with a broom his first year. That didn't mean Albus wouldn't do what he could to ensure Severus got some practice in flying on it. Hagrid would help. He could keep a secret, and would trust Albus knew what he was doing. Just as he had with Hagrid forty years ago.

Next to the broom was a plate full of cakes and sweets. Albus glanced in the other direction when he noticed Severus wiping what appeared to be tears from his cheeks.

"You are the only one to remember, thank you."

"You are welcome."

"What does it say that you, who is in charge of hundreds of students, remembered when my best friend does not?"

"I'm not sure."

Albus had his suspicions, of course. Those suspicions were that now that Lily Evans was here, meeting people that were more like her people, she no longer had use for Severus Snape. It was a tale as old as time, unfortunately. He'd seen it play out many different ways. None of them ended well, or left the jilted party feeling good. Severus wasn't the only one to experience heartache and unrequited love.

Severus huffed, taking hold of the plate of sweets and walked toward Albus. The two wizards sat. Albus had to be careful here, he knew. He took one of the sweets when Severus offered the plate to him.

"Thank you," he murmured.

He'd given Albus an opening, though, to broach this subject. To plant a thought. To possibly pave the way to a … smoother time at Hogwarts. For Lily, and for Severus.

And his future.

"Maybe she's not meant to be your witch, Severus," he offered.

"But…"

"Hear me out, Severus, before you rush to defend her as being yours. That meeting her as you did was some sort of sign." Albus had heard all of these arguments, or some form of them, before. Severus didn't know that, of course.

"Fine," he said. There was that petulant tone again. Being his birthday, and getting nothing from his mother or Lily, probably made it worse today.

"You met her when you were nine or so. At the time you were the only magical person she knew. Of course she latched onto you, you had information on a world that she suddenly realized she was going to be a part of."

Severus grimaced, pausing in chewing the treat he'd taken a bite of a second ago.

"You're saying she used me," he said only after swallowing the bite.

Of course, his mind would immediately go there. That was not what Albus was suggesting, and he needed to ensure Severus didn't believe that. Lily Evans had not used him. He would likely lose Lily's friendship anyway, if Albus' plan went as he hoped. However, this time, Severus would know why and would (hopefully) not feel guilty.

"No, not at all. I am certain she was - pardon me, is - your friend, Severus. I'm not suggesting she doesn't like you. I am saying that there are different … levels of affection. Is it possible that you have mistaken friendly affection for more, simply because you had no one else to pay attention to you?"

Severus' back straightened instantly at that. Albus knew this was a sore spot for Severus, especially at this time. Lily truly had been the only one to ever show him kindness.

"What do you know?" There was venom in the young wizard's voice. If he wasn't the headmaster, Albus wagered he would have been on the receiving end of a hex just now.

Oh, yes, he didn't like hearing that at all. Who would really? Albus realized this, however, this was something in addition to his lessons he hoped to … alter. It could change so very many things if this wizard wasn't dangerously infatuated with Lily Evans going forward.

"I know more than you realize, Severus Tobias Snape. Let me ask you this."

"What?" the wizard snarled.

As expected, the wizard did not like this conversation. If Albus didn't know what he knew, he might let the subject drop, but he had to start somewhere. A better segue into doing so wasn't going to present itself again most likely. At least not until next year's birthday.

"Tell me. If you had your choice. If you knew, without a doubt, that it was either accept Miss Evans as your friend, or not have her in your life at all…"

The young wizard eyed Albus through the unkempt bangs already worn in such a way as to enable him to hide when he wanted to. A defense mechanism. His one time friend, trusted confidante, was silent for quite some time as he seemed to really think over Albus' question.

Good.

Thinking about it was a good response versus flying off the handle. Already his efforts to help him control his anger, channel it more appropriately, were working. Two months ago they could not have continued this conversation. Albus was sure of that.

Hell, two months ago, Albus wouldn't have felt comfortable initiating this topic at all.

"I would want her friendship."

Albus feigned having taken too big of a bite of his cake, letting Severus think about his answer. To think about what he'd just said. To try it on for size and let it sink in before he continued.

"Then try a different tactic, Severus. Instead of getting upset with the new friendships she's forged with the boys I know you are not fond of anymore than they are of you. Offer her support for making headway in this different world so well."

"She never talks to me."

This was mumbled. He was clearly already ashamed that his friendship with the girl was different than it had been. Albus could imagine what this wizard expected would happen when he and Lily embarked on their path to King's Crossing and Hogwarts … together. Together, only because of their proximity to one another enabling their paths to cross prior to Hogwarts. If they'd met here, Albus was fairly sure the friendship would never have come to light.

"She may start again, if she thinks that your opinion has shifted. Women are not comfortable being pursued by those they are not interested in reciprocating that interest with. At least in my experience of observing vast numbers of witches and wizards over my close to one hundred years now. No matter their age."

Both wizards were quiet for a while after that. Albus knew even at twelve years old (today) Severus was wise enough to catch on to what his headmaster was subtly saying. He hadn't wanted to think it, but knew it deep down, even without Albus saying so.

That infatuation led to so much!

"She doesn't love me," Severus said finally. "That's what you're telling me. I'm just a friend."

Albus nodded simply.

More silence, but he wasn't … angry anymore. He took another treat, staring at nothing, as far as Albus could tell, as he ate and, likely, thought over what Albus had said. And whatever Severus thought, Albus was not going to violate his trust by entering his mind to find out what the wizard's thoughts were currently. This was … personal, and something the young wizard deserved to sort out for himself. On his own terms. Without anyone knowing how he came by the answer. It was important that he come to this conclusion, come to accept this as fact, on his own. Albus couldn't risk altering anything in Severus' mind about this subject.

"And if I decided I don't believe you?"

"Severus," he said cautiously.

He knew this was dangerous territory. If he pushed too hard, he could do the exact opposite, entrenching Severus further into his infatuation with a witch that just never felt that way for him. In all of the different timelines Albus had lived, the witch had never loved him in the same way. He could also undo the trust he'd gained from the wizard. The footwork he was laying toward Severus doing so much more than he could dream of.

On his terms, not on Voldemort's this time.

"Have I done anything to make you believe that I would lie to or misguide you? Do anything but advise you as to what I think is best for you?"

"Other than telling me to let her friends pick on me."

"Yes, I suppose I can see how you think that," he said with a nod. "I offered you a deal. You accepted. I am teaching you to control your anger, Severus. Do you truly think they are the last people who will be unkind to you? You need to learn now how to deal with it. You are getting something out of it that they are not. Just remember that every time you see them. Every time you have to turn the other cheek. I am not teaching them occlumency, Severus. I am teaching you. For that matter, I have never privately tutored anyone before."

"You are," he said, nodding. He chose then to take a piece of cake from his plate of treats. Albus did the same. He liked cake! "I will take it under advisement."

"I want you happy, Severus, and I'm just not sure that Lily Evans will give you that."

"Because she is muggleborn?"

Something in Severus' tone told Albus that he had been told her being a muggleborn was not good. Likely by his Slytherin classmates. He knew who the ringleader likely was, too.

"No, that has absolutely nothing to do with my reasoning. You know I do not subscribe to such beliefs."

Albus had used these meetings the past couple of months to lay the foundation for his ultimate plan in his efforts to keep Severus alive while still defeating Voldemort. Together. And from tarnishing his soul too severely while doing so.

"She is capable, but she cannot match your mind or thirst for knowledge. You are curious about things that she will find … unseemly. You and I understand why that knowledge is necessary. Not everyone subscribes to the notion that learning about unsavory things helps defend against them."

Severus peered at Albus then, but said nothing. At least he was listening. Albus took that as a huge win.

"I want you to pursue those … unseemly and unsavory … curiosities, Severus. I want you to talk with me about the knowledge you accumulate, the things you learn. All of them. There are no banned or inappropriate subjects between us. Are we clear? It will be refreshing to discuss them with someone who realizes that learning about those things is necessary. How will we ever know how to defeat the likes of another Grindelwald without knowledge? Without learning how to counteract and defend against those things?"

He deliberately left out Tom Riddle here. No sense broaching that subject yet. He would in time, of course. Assuming all continued going according to plan.

"Why are you doing all of this?" he asked.

"Because I can. I suppose, too, because there hasn't been a more worthy wizard of imparting my knowledge to, and discussing theories with, than you."

That was true.

He didn't believe there'd been any way to change the direction Tom Riddle was going to go. He was hoping that he was right in thinking he could change the way Severus Snape would go. Tom Riddle was evil. Severus Snape was just alone, unappreciated, and picked on with no one to rely on or to look to for a positive influence. Albus couldn't really help him with his bullies, but he could let him know that he mattered despite what those other wizards thought and said. He could let him know he was appreciated. That he had something to contribute. That he was learning something no one else was.

"I will try not to disappoint you, Sir."

"The only way that you could disappoint me, Severus, is by not being honest with me. You are still young, you will make mistakes. You will make wrong decisions. I know that, and these lessons will not stop because of a mistake or a wrong decision. I will do my best to be honest with you. Understand, as Headmaster, there may be things that I cannot tell you, but I will never deliberately lie to you."

Severus nodded slightly.

"Now, are you ready to get on with our lessons?"

"Yes, Sir."

"And you will think about what I said with regard to Lily Evans. It is better to have her as your friend than not in your life at all. In my experience, not having married myself, friends are more important than romantic involvements that may peter out and then you end up with no friend. Just think of the entire summer without being able to meet with her."

He'd hit on something there. Albus realized. He could tell by the slump in Severus' shoulders. The wizard was smart. He'd come to realize what his headmaster was telling him on his own soon enough. Albus just hoped it was a sufficient push. That saying these things tonight would lead him there faster. And without violent, and deadly, repercussions this time.

He hoped the idea of no one to spend his free time with on breaks would be the tipping point.

He could only hope, and wait to see how it played out over the next six years.

Return to Top

Part 1 | Part 3

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com