**Part Eight**

With Willow's help she was able to get a single room for the quarter. Well, Willow didn't know it was only for the quarter yet. At least it had worked out that all three of them were happy. Willow and Tara were roommates and Buffy was not only on their floor but not stuck with a roommate. Not that she planned on staying there very often.

She'd been to see a doctor in August and then again last week. She was about sixteen weeks along. So there was no question it was Giles'. Not that she thought otherwise, but she knew Giles had felt better knowing for sure. They'd heard the baby's heartbeat at the most recent appointment. Until that moment Buffy hadn't believed it was real. There was no denying that she was going to have a baby.

She still hadn't told anyone. Giles was right, her mom deserved to know first. Telling her mom was no easy task, though. She'd started to tell her a hundred times since July only to stop. She and Giles were in LA for the weekend and she was glad to be away from everyone for a couple of days. She wasn't sure what he had made arrangements for, but he had specified she bring a couple of dresses.

She was lucky her clothes still fit. They were getting to the point where they didn't so well anymore. She imagined the fact that she was so active helped her get this far without having to invest in maternity clothes. She hated thinking about it even though she knew she'd have to soon.

"So, where are we going tonight?"

"I thought dinner would be a nice way to start. I know you had class most of the day, so I took that into account."

"Okay." She took in their room. "Giles. This is too much."

"What?"

"This room."

"It's not anything overly special."

"Giles."

"What? I can afford it, Buffy. I assure you. I know we've had time alone, but this is the first time we've gone away together. So, I splurged on a nicer hotel. If we were sightseeing or something I suppose we could have settled for less."

"I guess the guy taking our bags at the curb should have tipped me off."

"Most nicer hotels have bellhops, Buffy. There's nothing luxurious about that service."

"If you say so."

"I do."

"Okay." She noticed the king sized bed and smiled despite herself. She walked to the closet area to unzip the garment bag, trying to figure out which dress she should wear. "Any hint on where we're going?"

"Wear whatever you want to, Buffy."

She decided on a black dress. She could wear it with the boots she had on and she had a jacket to go with it in case it got too cool for sleeveless. "I'll be out in a minute then."

"Take your time. We're in no hurry. There's no schedule while we're here other than tomorrow evening."

"Thanks."

She shut the bathroom door and cried out when she saw the bathroom had a hot tub.

"Buffy, are you all right?" He didn't bother to knock so he must have been worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine. There's a hot tub in here. Did you know that?"

"Oh right, yes, I'd forgotten. I read that was included in the amenities, yes."

"Too bad I can't use it."

"You can't?"

"No."

"I didn't realize. Why not?"

"I'm not sure. It's just one of those things I read about in the literature somewhere. Heat or something I think."

"Oh, right, I suppose. Well, we'll come back when you can then. I didn't realize you had a fondness for hot tubs."

"Who doesn't?"

"I guess you're right. I'll leave you to dress then."

"Thanks."

It didn't take her long. Fixing her hair and her makeup took longer than changing clothes had. When she stepped out of the bathroom Buffy found he had changed as well.

"Wow."

"Is that good?"

"Uh, yeah. I haven't seen you in a suit suit since prom I guess. I'd forgotten how nice you looked."

"As opposed to every other day when I look slovenly?"

"Well, no, but dressed like this you're sexy. Like James Bond. Otherwise you're just Giles sexy."

"So, sexy either way?"

She pursed her lips as she ran a fingertip over the knot of his tie. "Definitely. Either way."

"Shall we then?"

She was impressed with the restaurant. She didn't think Giles had spent much, if any, time in LA. So that meant he'd gone to a lot of effort to plan this weekend. It was a nice place, real nice. A place her parents could have afforded when they were married but would never have brought Buffy to. It was a date place. Romantic tables tucked away to gave you the feeling of privacy even though you were in a restaurant.

She ate way too much, but was getting used to feeling that way. She was thankful she didn't suffer from morning sickness or anything like that. So far, really, she didn't feel any different other than having to use the bathroom more often.

They stood outside the restaurant. Buffy wasn't sure what Giles had planned after this if anything. It was just nice to be here with him and not have to worry about slaying or school or anything else.

"Would you like to take a walk?"

"Sure," she said, taking his offered hand as they walked down the street.

"Do you miss it?"

"Miss what?"

"LA."

"Oh. In some ways, I suppose, yeah. I mean, there are days I'd give anything to have that life back. Well, no, not so much anymore. But when I first moved to Sunnydale I wanted that life back. I wanted Cordelia's life."

"Why on earth would you willingly choose such an existence?"

"I don't know. I didn't know any better I guess. It's taken me a while to get to the point that I don't want it anymore, but yeah I still miss it. I miss the friends. I've come to realize, though, none of them were really my friends. Not like Willow and Xander are anyway. You know, not one has kept in touch with me since I moved. They said they would, but it never happened."

"Mm, yes, I suppose that hurt. And then I dragged you back into the slaying."

"Yeah, I remember how it went."

"You've been a pretty good sport about it over all."

"I have not. You're just saying that because you have to."

"I do not."

"Mm, if you ever want to get lucky again you do."

"I suppose there is that threat looming over my head. I worry about it constantly, too."

"I'll just bet you do. Lose a lot of sleep worrying about it, too."

"Yes. You know me too well."

"Thank you for dinner."

"You're most welcome. It was my pleasure. It's delightful spending time with you not having to worry Xander's going to burst through the door. Or having to endure more conversations from Anya on her sex life with Xander. To hear her talk that's all they ever do."

"Maybe she thinks everyone's like that."

"I should hope not. If Xander was my age he'd have had a heart attack by now."

"You hold up pretty well."

"Is that right?"

"Yes. Slayer here and all."

"Perhaps when we get back you can remind me again why that makes you special."

"Maybe."

He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed the back of it before taking her into his arms. She went willingly as she always did and waited for his kiss. She didn't have to wait long. She never did. He didn't seem to be able to resist her any more than she did. She broke the kiss, drawing away just a little and met his gaze. She saw so much in his eyes. It was a little frightening and a lot exciting. She could take the frightening as long as the exciting was part of it, too.

"I love you," she whispered. She was about to kiss him again until she heard someone call his name. She drew away and turned, automatically shielding him with her body. She groaned softly when she saw who it was. Talk about ruining a moment. Now she wished she hadn't said it. It was out there, though, no sense dwelling on it.

"Giles. I thought that was you. And Buffy. I almost didn't recognize you dressed, well, like a real person. What are you doing in LA?"

"Good evening, Cordelia. How lovely to see you again."

"I know it, right? I saw you back at the restaurant, but I was with a potential agent so I couldn't break away."

"An agent?"

"Yeah, you know for acting. I have one, but he hasn't done a damned thing. These agents, I tell you, you have to stay on top of them."

"I thought you were working for Angel."

"Oh I am, on the side, only until I get my foot in the door. You should so stop by the office if you're here."

"I don't think so, Cordelia, but thanks."

"Well, if something's going on in town, Angel should know about it."

"Cordelia."

"Wait. Don't tell me that restaurant is run by demons or something? I knew there was something fishy about it."

"No," Buffy said, frustrated.

"Cordelia, Buffy and I aren't here for any reason to have to do with her calling."

"Oh." She frowned as if processing, which Buffy knew could be difficult for Cordelia at times. "Then why are you here?"

"Cordelia, really, the only thing you need to know is that we're not here to infringe on Angel's territory. If you even needed to know that. As the Slayer, Buffy has every right to go where she's needed."

"Well." Her gaze rested on Buffy's shoulder where Giles' hand rested and her eyes widened. "Oh, I get it, you're on a date. Right?"

"Cordelia," Giles said coolly.

"No, Giles, it's fine. It's not like it's a secret. Yes, Cordelia, we're here together."

"All right then. That's all you needed to say. Geez. Get on my case."

"We'll see you later, Cordelia."

"Right, okay. Good night. Oh and Buffy?"

"Yeah?"

"You look nice."

"What?"

"You do. I don't know what it is, but there's something different. Whatever it is, it looks good on you."

"Uh, thanks," she said, flicking her gaze to Giles'. Cordelia didn't offer up compliments to anyone. And that was a pretty nice one. "You do, too. I hope you get the agent."

"Oh, I will. It's not me getting the agent, it's whether the agent lucks out and gets me."

"Right, well, good luck with that."

They walked back the way they'd come in silence. Buffy glanced behind them to be sure she was out of earshot. "She's going to tell Angel."

"Oh, most definitely. You knew she would. Does that bother you?"

"No, I just wonder if I should have told him first."

"Do you feel he deserves it?"

"I don't know. He did come apologize to me after Faith."

"That's true."

"Oh well, I can't worry about it now. It's too late. He'll know by morning."

He cupped her face then and kissed her next to his car.

"I believe she interrupted something."

"Cordelia? She's always interrupting. What else is new?"

"Something of a matter of import I believe."

"What?"

"Um," he said softly before kissing her again. "I thought I heard you say something."

"You did?"

"Yes. Something that had we not been interrupted would have garnered a response from me. One would hope anyway."

"Would it have?"

"Indeed." He kissed her again, another feather-light kiss. "Say it again."

"Giles."

"I need to hear you say it, Buffy."

Kissing her like he was she'd do anything for him. He had to know that, too. "I love you," she whispered.

"And I love you, Buffy. Now will you agree to move in with me when this term is up?"

"Giles."

"I'm pushing, I know. I think you're pushing it going next term, your due during finals week."

"That's if the baby isn't late."

"Or early."

"I think most professors would be lenient on missing a class or two for a baby."

"I should have known you'd be stubborn about this. Pardon me, willful."

She shrugged. "I'm not saying I won't. It'll be your place or Mom's. I won't stay in the dorm."

"That's something at least. Now enough of that for tonight. It's early enough we could go for a drive if you wanted. Take in a movie. Get some ice cream somewhere. Pregnant women like ice cream I've heard."

She laughed. "I'm fine. Really. I ate way too much for dinner."

"Well, then, what would you suggest?"

"We could go back to the room and burn off some of those calories in that big bed."

"Why, Miss Summers, are you coming onto me?"

"I think, Mister Giles, I am. Such a surprise, I know."

"Shockingly so." He opened the door for her and she slid inside the car.

They spent Saturday doing pretty much nothing until dinner. Giles took her to another nice restaurant and to the theatre afterward for a production of Kiss Me Kate. She didn't think she was going to like it, but found herself laughing a time or two and getting into the story. If studying Shakespeare could have been this fun she'd have passed English class with flying colors.

Sunday they checked out of the hotel at the last possible minute and spent the afternoon at one of the museums LA offered. It was all pretty much the same to Buffy, but Giles seemed to enjoy himself so she did, too.

Too soon for her liking, they were back in Sunnydale. That meant life was back to normal. No more fairy tales, luxurious hotel rooms, or room service for breakfast. She tried not to pout when they walked from his car to the courtyard that led to his place.

"You had a nice weekend?"

"The best."

"I'm glad."

"Me, too. Thank you. Did you enjoy it?"

"Yes. It gives me great pleasure to see you enjoying yourself. Eating well, taking in the show. I wonder if you realize how beautiful you look."

"Giles."

"It's true. And Cordelia's right. You are different. I hadn't noticed it I guess because I see you so frequently, but you do have a certain glow to you currently that isn't always there."

She settled into his arms, his hands splayed over her stomach. She rested her head against his shoulder. "It's nice out tonight."

"Yes, it is. Coming back from LA, it makes you appreciate being here and actually being able to see stars."

"Yeah, you're right, I never paid much attention before." She shivered lightly.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes, just a chill."

"Let's get you inside then. I'll make you some tea and you can watch some TV if you'd like."

"You're so good to me."

"Because I want to be and you let me."

She turned in his arms and kissed him. "Thanks."

"Anything for you, Buffy."

"I think I actually believe you mean that."

Return to Top

Part 7 | Part 9
Buffy/Giles Index Page | Buffy the Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com