***Part Four***

It went like that for Buffy didn't know how long. It seemed like forever and she wondered if this was what forever with him would be like. Pleasure at every turn. And he'd yet to do anything but give her pleasure time and time again.

She noticed when she'd gotten up to go the bathroom at some point that he hadn't matched this bite up with the last one. Another set of scars. She couldn't find it in herself to care or be bothered by it. Not even when she thought of Spike seeing the fresh marks.

"What time is it? Better yet, what day is it?"

He chuckled as he ran his fingers through her hair. She was intrigued by the fact he liked to do that. Once they'd gotten to the bed, and it had taken them a few hours to make it that far, he hadn't let her out of reaching distance. Aside from the obvious human needs anyway.

"Not sure. Haven't been paying much attention."

"Me neither." She sighed, content. She'd never known what it meant to feel completely satisfied. She did now and it was a feeling she'd carry with her for the rest of her life. To think he'd deprived her of knowing such a thing existed.

"They're going to come looking for you."

"Yes."

"It's been at least a day."

"They'll know where to look. No big mystery where we'd go."

"Was it worth it?"

"Umm, in one word or less. Yes."

He chuckled. Buffy thought on how much happier Angel seemed without his soul. "Why is that?"

"What? You've lost me, Buff."

"Why are you happier this way? You like making with the helping people."

"I liked helping you. The Powers That Be thought my helping the helpless gig in LA would keep me in touch with the human world. I really didn't want to stay in touch with it. The only time in one hundred years of having the soul was when I was with you."

"Why?"

"Before you, all I had was the guilt of everyone I'd hurt. Then you came along and I thought maybe, you know, maybe there'd be a chance at redemption. And then you made me really happy and we saw how that turned out. I ran, I couldn't do it. Your mother, the Mayor, they made me see that it'd never work. I'd lose you eventually anyway."

"And so you decided to lose me right away?"

"I couldn't stand the pain of watching you die, Buffy."

"But, Angel."

He placed a finger over her lips. "I told you, you and I are going to convince him it's not in his best interest to stay away."

"So you weren't happy helping me?"

"Guilt is a terrible thing, Buffy. Have you ever done something that you truly, truly feel guilty for?"

"Well."

"I'm not talking cheating on a test or stealing twenty dollars from your mom's wallet."

"Well, yes, I treated Spike pretty shitty last year. I took out my being miserable on him."

"Okay. That's one thing. Compound that by a few hundred. Images of all of those people in your head, screaming for mercy, begging you to spare their child, their mother, their husband, or whoever they wanted you to spare. It was terribly overwhelming and I didn't believe I deserved a chance. You."

"Oh. Why couldn't you tell me that before?"

"I didn't want you to know how bad it really was. How bad I really was."

"But I knew."

"No, you have entries in your watcher journals. You have stories passed on, rumors. You don't know what I am really like."

"I've seen you in action without the soul, Angel."

"Not really. I mean, you have, but not like I was."

"If you could do it. Have your soul and me. Would you?"

"You mean, like this?"

"Yes."

He shrugged. "It's tempting because I know without the soul I'd never have you. Not really. You still think of me as two different people, deep down anyway."

"Spike did it."

"Spike wasn't always the brightest boy."

"So why was I worth it to him but not to you?"

"Because Spike's always been a sucker for love, it's always driven him. I wasn't, I'm not. If I was, I don't think I would have been able to give you up."

This was too much, too close to home. He wanted her but he didn't. Buffy couldn't take it. So she did the only thing she could do. She rolled onto her back, tugging him with her. He didn't need much coaching in that regard. And they took up where they'd left off. They didn't need pretty words or claims of devotion for this part. Their bodies did it for both of them.

***

Angelus knew when they were no longer alone. It was inevitable. He had lied when he claimed to not know how much time had passed. She had been with him for two days now. Two days when there was an apocalypse brewing, a big bad picking off young girls entrusted to her charge. Angelus reveled in the idea that he had gotten this much time out of her.

She was sound asleep, tuckered out from expending far too much energy. He hadn't realized she was so imaginative. So willing a participant. His thigh was still a little irritated where she'd bit him. It'd heal in no time once she stopped reopening it.

He remained laying there, still, listening to her breathe. He let her hair run through his fingertips. They'd find them eventually. The mansion was large, the room they'd ended up for good in was on the third floor. It'd take a while. He smiled at her willingness to christen every room in the house. New room, new position. He was growing hard again thinking about it.

He gave a brief thought to her reaction were they to be caught. She'd said she'd want him to finish. His dick apparently wanted to test that theory. He rolled her over, slid her agile body just so enabling him to slide in behind her. It amazed him that as often as they'd fucked she was still as tight as she was. It was like entering her for the first time every time. It was better than any drug conceivable. This would be his addiction were he to allow himself to have one.

His eyes fell closed, getting lost in the feel of her. Even in slumber her body reacted to him, accepted him, grew wet for him. Whoever was in the mansion was getting closer, as was he. He moved the makeshift sheet away from their bodies and then grabbed her wrist and brought it to his mouth.

"Buff," he said hoarsely.

"Huh?"

"We've got company," he said gruffly. He bit into her wrist, timing it with a deep thrust inside of her. She always reacted positively when he did that. She cried out in response, just as he expected she would. She stretched out like a cat, pushing her cute ass into him which served to draw him in deeper.

"Angel," she called out just as Angelus heard the sound of approaching footsteps. He doubted Buffy recalled he'd told her, but they were here. He emptied his seed into her as she climaxed, not at all surprised to see Giles and Spike armed with crossbows in the doorway. There was a third man he did not know with them.

"We have company, Lover."

"What?" She sounded groggy, sated, thoroughly so at that. She sat up with a start, reaching for the curtain they'd taken out of one of the windows to use as a sheet. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I, uh, did." He noticed a streak of blood on the curtain and growled low, realizing he had not closed her wrist properly. He took it and swiped it with his tongue, staving off the light flow of blood.

"Giles, how very nice to see you again."

"I wish I could say the same. Buffy, how could you do this."

"Do what?"

"You know what having sex with him will do."

Buffy rubbed her eyes, clearly not altogether here yet. "Um, he's here in bed with me not making with the killing people."

"For now."

He ran a fingertip along her bare shoulder, moving closer behind her, wanting her to feel his body against hers. Supporting her.

"Get your hands off her. You don't think I know what you're up to."

"What's that? Fucking your slayer? So what. She's a big girl and obviously she wants a vampire. I just thought it was time she experienced a real vampire."

"Just stop it. There's no need to be crude."

"Oh I haven't even started being crude yet."

"Angel."

"Buffy, that is not Angel. He likely wasn't Angel when he got here."

Angelus leaned in closer, his mouth against her ear.

"Get your hands off her."

He held his hands up. "Not even touching her, Rupert. I can demonstrate how that's entirely possible if you'd like. But I'm sure in your day you've experimented a time or two."

"Someone tell me why we're not just killing him?" It was the black guy.

"I don't want to hit Buffy."

"The answer to your question, Buff."

She turned her head toward him, pressing her ear closer to his mouth. "What?" she mouthed. With her head like that, the fresh marks would be visible to the three men in the doorway.

"Would I do it? For you?"

"Yeah."

"In a heartbeat. Soul or not, we deserve forever."

Tears formed in her eyes and he leaned toward her, kissing them away.

"Leave her be."

"Well, Rupert, she doesn't seem too willing to leave my side. She apparently took a walk on the dark and wild side and liked it."

"Buffy, how could you do this? It's not bad enough we have the First after us."

"Oh my God."

"Buffy, he'd likely kill you."

"How long have I been here?"

"What?"

"How long have I been gone?"

"Two days now."

"If he wanted me dead, don't you think he would have done it already?"

"Slayer."

"Spike. Don't, please."

"No, don't please me. How many times did you tell me it was the soul that made the man?"

"Oh God, don't do this. Stop it. It was just sex."

"Oh, come on, Lover, it was far more than just sex. You could get that from Spike, couldn't you?"

"Stop it. All of you."

She stood from the bed, draping the curtain around her protectively. It left him very much exposed, not that he cared. He wasn't shy or embarrassed. He ran his fingers along the still healing bite mark on his thigh. "Did she ever bite you, Spike? I never knew she had it in her. She's a wildcat though."

She turned on him, her face a deep crimson and glared. "Oh my God, stop it Angel."

He shrugged and laid down on the bed.

"The three of you need to go. Now. I'll be back at the house later."

"Buffy. If you think we're going to leave you alone with him."

"You want to try and stop me? Spike might be able to, but I'm guessing Angel would probably join in."

"You threatening us, Slayer?"

"I am. Now get out. Or you know what, I won't come back. I'll leave you to handle the First by yourself."

"Buffy."

"No, Giles. I know what it looks like, and I know it doesn't look good. And I know when I'm out of this bed, out of this room, this house I'll probably do with the major second guessing myself. But, oh my God, I needed this. I needed Angel. I needed him to need me."

"I don't understand, Buffy."

Tears started rolling down her cheeks now. "I know you don't. You wouldn't. He left me. He loved me, promised me forever, but he left me. And then we argued, only we didn't argue."

"You're talking in riddles."

"I'm not. Damn it, Giles. He took back a day of my life. We were together. He was human. And he gave it up to protect me."

"Buffy, don't you realize he'd tell you anything to get you in this position."

"I believe him. It makes sense. He hated Riley."

"He'd hate you with anybody, Buffy. There's no doubt he loves you. If Angelus is trying to claim differently, he's a liar. And anyone who ever saw you together can attest to that."

"No, he's not. He wanted us to be able to have time together. Is that so far fetched? He knew he'd get his soul back eventually and he actually wanted to spend his time with me. Alone. In bed."

"Here I thought you'd changed, Slayer."

She rubbed her temples, struggling to keep the curtain from falling. "Get out! All of you! I'm not saying it again."

"Buffy," Angelus called out as pained tore through him. He remembered this. Twice before he'd experienced it. The first two times he fought the intrusion, fought the return of his soul.

"Angel." Distantly he was aware of her returning to the bed, the curtain and her modesty forgotten in her concern for him. "Giles, what's happening to him?"

"I, Buffy, I'm not going to help him."

"Angel?"

He couldn't speak, he could only feel. He wished he could describe it to her, wondered if Spike felt the same thing when his was returned. It wasn't agonizing this time. He clutched her forearms, refusing to let her go.

"His soul."

"What?"

"His soul. I remember this now. I was there when Willow did the spell last time. Is she doing it again?"

"No, she's on her way to LA now. There's no way she's gotten there yet."

"Is that why you came here?"

Angelus was powerless to do anything but lay there and listen, helpless as the soul retook possession of his body. The demon fought it, did not want to give up control again. But Angelus didn't mind so much this time. If it brought him back to Buffy, got him back where he should be it was okay.

"Yes. We found out last night about Angelus. We assumed until then that you two were."

"They assumed you were working on logistics or something."

"What?"

"You mentioned taking him to the high school, Slayer."

"Oh right, he wanted to see the seal." She looked into his eyes, he saw the concern there. It was etched on her face. He wondered how many premature worry lines he'd caused for her over the years. Too many if it was only one.

"Are you sure that is what's happening?"

"Yes, Giles. His eyes. Look into his eyes."

"No, thank you, Buffy, I'll take your word for it." He heard Giles talking to someone on the phone, Willow presumably.

"No, she's still on the road."

"How? I don't get it? If Willow's not doing the spell, what's happening?"

"I wish I could tell you." Rupert actually sounded concerned.

"Angel."

"Buffy," he whispered. She hugged him. He was starting to get his feeling back. Felt her body, warm and lush against him. What a way to come to. His arms went around her and he held her to her.

"Giles."

"Yes," the Englishman said not sounding at all pleased.

"Call LA, tell them we need them here now."

"Angel."

"Wesley, Faith, Gunn, Fred. My son. They can all help. We're going to need all the muscle we can get to defeat this thing."

"Faith you say?"

"Yeah, they broke her out to recapture me."

"Did it work?"

Angel cocked his head and shot Giles a knowing glare.

"Yes, of course, dumb question." He dialed the number Angel recited to him and stepped out of the room.

"Buffy?"

"It's you."

"It's me."

"What happened?"

"I don't know. I don't get it. I'll look into it, but we have more important things to worry about right now."

"We do?"

He drew her away from him, looked into her eyes. "We."

"At least I didn't have to stab you through the heart this time." Yeah, he was very appreciative that was the case.

"Bloody hell. I just can't win, can I?"

"We still need you, Spike. Don't go disappearing on us."

"I'm not planning on disappearing. But it's not because you asked me to, Angel. It's because I've been here with Buffy since this thing reared its head. It messed with my mind. I want to see it ended."

"Excuse me, what just happened here?"

"Listen, can we um maybe meet up back at the house? I'd like to get dressed and, well, just be back at my house."

"Why are we no longer out to kill the vampire?"

"Because he has his soul back."

"Who is that guy?"

"Robin Wood. Principal Sunnydale High."

"Want to explain how the principal knows I'm a vampire?"

"He's just a knowledgeable guy."

His eyes traveled the length of her body. He pictured easily each and every kiss and caress he'd given her through the course of the last couple of days. He wished he could claim that he was two different people, but he wasn't. Everything was there, inside of him. Maybe there was a part of him that wanted Angelus free again. Maybe he wanted Angelus to come back here. He needed her, she served as his anchor whether she knew it or not.

"They'll leave as soon as Willow gets there."

"You're sure Willow didn't do the spell?"

"Positive. And Wesley didn't know anything about it either."

"Huh," he said, more confused by the minute.

"All right, Buffy, we'll meet you back at the house. Come along, Robin, Spike."

"I don't know why you dragged me along to begin with."

"In the event we needed to stop Angelus."

"Right, right, the muscle. I get it."

Buffy slid off Angel, but made no effort to cover herself once they'd left the room. He waited a few minutes, heard the house was quiet again.

"They're gone."

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?"

"What?"

"Had them find us like that?"

He shrugged. "What can I say?"

"The truth."

"Buffy, without the soul."

"No, I get it. I just want you to be honest with me. Last time, we didn't talk about it, any of it. We just played with the pretending it didn't happen."

"Yes, I did it on purpose. I also knew if they were here, our time together like that was coming to an end .They wouldn't have come in here unless they knew I was Angelus."

"You think so?"

"I heard them talking. They were trying to be stealthy, quiet, covert. If they thought you and me were sitting here they wouldn't have acted like that."

"Oh, I guess you're right. How do I know the soul's really back?"

He shrugged. "I don't know what to tell you. You've seen it happen before. This time is different, though, I can feel it."

"We need to get dressed."

"If we can find our clothes."

"Oh, and one last thing, Angel."

"Yes?" He wasn't sure he liked her tone at all.

"If you do that again. Screw with my head, my memories, and I find out about it. Love you or not, I'll stake you."

"Buffy."

"No, I don't want to hear you were doing it for my own good or anything else. You cannot go making decisions for the both of us without consulting me first. I could maybe excuse your leaving Sunnydale. I get it now, I needed to grow up, experience something that wasn't you. But, I'm an adult now, even if it doesn't come close to matching your years."

"You're right."

"I mean, it's crazy, but I knew something was wrong, different. What did you say?"

"I said you're right. And you are. It was callous and uncaring of me to think I had the right to make a decision like that for you."

"Wow, okay, is this a pod Angel or something?"

"What? You're right. Okay? I didn't think I'd be any good to you human."

"Oh God, Angel, I'll take you however I can get you."

"Would you have stayed with me without the soul?"

"I don't know. Which Angelus would I end up with? The one the legends are made of? Or the one that I spent the last few days with?"

"A little of both."

"Then I probably would have."

"I think you would have kept me in check some."

"Hmm."

"There are vampires that while they feed on humans they only feed on lesser humans."

"Lesser humans?"

"Criminals, deviants."

"Oh. Really?"

"Yes."

"Huh. I didn't know that."

He ran a hand through her hair, leaning up to smell it. "You smell like sex."

"I wonder why."

"I like it."

"Men," she said with a roll of her eyes.

"I want to kiss you, but we should probably wait until we have clothes on again."

"Probably."

"Are you sure you can do this, Buffy?"

"Do what?"

"Give up what we just had?"

"Absolutely."

"I'm not sure if I should be insulted."

"No, flattered that I love you that much. Always have, always will."

Return to Top

Part 3 | Part 5
Buffy/Angel Index Page | Buffy the Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com