***Chapter Twenty-Five***
(Epilogue)
August 2005

Claire watched out the window at John, Michael, and the kids down by the lake. He was teaching them how to bait a hook so they could fish off the dock. Michael was helping since he already knew how.

Rene, Junior at almost ten, Josh not quite a year younger, and Guillaume at nearly eight had been through this before and loved to fish. John would take the three of them out on the lake later to try to catch enough fish to feed them for dinner tonight.

April and Rene's daughter, Jessica, and Claire and John's younger son Connor, both five had not shown any interest last summer in fishing. They would not go out on the boat later. Only those truly interested in fishing, and who could stay quiet, were allowed on those boat rides.

Claire was admittedly surprised Jessica was interested at all. She was very much a girlie girl, so worms and wiggling fish didn't seem up her alley.

The youngest of April and Rene's kids, Jacques, was sitting on the floor coloring. He was only two so was staying in here with her. Claire didn't mind at all. Seeing him, taking care of him made her think about a third but they'd both agreed after Connor that they were done. As badly as Claire might have wanted a girl she was happy with her two boys.

April and Rene were away on a movie set in Israel for a while, so their kids were spending time with Aunt Claire and Uncle John at their lake house in Wisconsin. It was the only property to this day that no one associated with Wren Savage, so the six of them could come here and just be themselves. Everything was in Claire and John's name. They paid the mortgage and everything, but Rene was very generous with compensating them for "expenses and the wear and tear of six extra people that might be incurred while we stay with you". He just didn't want to appear to be a freeloader, or taking advantage of them. They ensured every penny Rene gave them was put toward the property. They had finished the basement to add more bedrooms, and added on to not just the house but the garage.

As if he knew she was thinking about and admiring him, John glanced up at the house. His head tilted a bit, as if he was looking right at her. Maybe he was. He was good at that, knowing exactly where she was. Some would call it creepy. She found it … calming. He'd always find her.

Nine years they'd been married. She still had days where it seemed so surreal that this man she'd kissed in a supply closet on school property over twenty years ago now was her husband. The father of her boys. One of only two people who knew her secrets.

And he was here.

Allen had not fared well in the last ten years. His bar closed, but that was only the start of his legal woes. He'd been arrested in Chicago. As a result of that arrest, and his DNA being entered into the system, more than a handful of rapes had been closed. He had been the one who'd rear-ended her vehicle. That had taken a while for her to get over, but with a good therapist as well as John and Josh and then Connor. Well, she felt more than whole these days. That and the realization that those women now had some closure at least to the point in knowing the man who'd raped them wasn't going to do it again.

For John, the look in his eyes when she mentioned naming their oldest son Josh was priceless. She would never forget it as long as she lived. It wasn't how he'd expected to have John and Josh together in his life, but he was able to do all the things with their son that he'd hoped to do with his younger brother thirty years ago.

"You know you can bring Jacques down to the dock."

His voice came over the walkie talkie. Things like cell phones didn't work so well up here (which was one of the reasons Rene loved it here) so they had walkie talkies. The pickup truck that stayed up here year-round was outfitted with CB radio. The kids loved talking to their dad over the CB radio.

"Is that your way of saying you want me to come down there?"

"I always want you down here, Princess, but it's a nice day. Jacques might enjoy the sunshine and fresh air, too."

She glanced at the boy in question. He was … adorable.

"You just want help with Jessica."

The Jessica in question turned toward the house and jumped up and down, waving enthusiastically. Claire wondered how strange John found it that he was these kids' favorite uncle. He did things like fishing and cooking smores with them. When they were at home and fishing wasn't an option he took them to parks or whatever they were in the mood for on any particular day. Other than their mom, he was the only adult they knew who didn't have a set work schedule.

And he drew comics. Claire was pretty sure little Jessica had a crush on John because she could sit and watch him do nothing but draw all day long. (Claire herself was very familiar with these feelings.)

"Well, that might be true. I truly thought you could bring your camera. We have pictures of Rene, Josh, and Guillaume all fishing for the first time."

"Oh," she said, not having thought of that. "We'll be right down then."

"Excellent."

She slathered some sunscreen on the toddler and found a hat that all of the kids had worn at one point to help protect them from the sun before leading him outside. They walked carefully along the path that would lead to the deck.

As it turned out, John had a small pole for Jacques all ready to go, too.

All five kids set with a baited pole he stepped back, sliding his arm around her.

"Hello," he said, kissing the top of her head.

"Hi," she said. She'd taken plenty of pictures already. They wouldd email copies to April and Rene later.

"And you're sure," he said, gesturing with a slight nod in Jessica's direction.

The irony in him asking that question wasn't lost on her. He'd done fine as an uncle to Michael and dad to their kids. More than fine, really. He had slowly but surely come to the conclusion that he was not his dad. Their son Josh helped heal them both in ways the boy would never understand or even know about.

"As much as I would love trying for a daughter I'm sure. We're thirty-nine years old. Our kids will both be done with school before we're fifty-five. We have two beautiful boys and well April allows me to spoil Jessica."

"As if she doesn't do that just fine on her own."

"I know," Claire said with a soft laugh.

"I think we are going to have Princess Two on our hands."

"I think you're right, but at least she's willing to sit here on the dock with a fishing pole in her hands. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done that."

"There is that. She wasn't too keen on watching me put the worm on the hook, but she does look pretty at home holding it."

"Yeah, well, worm guts are kind of gross."

He chuckled. "Yes, that's why I rinsed my hands off in the water. Not as effective as soap and water I realize."

"You're fine, John."

"Even better, she seems to like me."

"She's obviously a very smart girl."

"Is that right?

"Mm hmm," she said. "Meet me in the hot tub after everyone's asleep later and I'll show you how smart I think she is."

"That is a pretty appealing offer."

"Only pretty appealing?"

"Mm, well, I'm sure Chuck next door is going to the bar to watch the Brewers game."

"So I have to top that offer?"

He chuckled, leaning in closer. "I'll let you in on a secret. Anything you'd offer would top that."

"Well, there is wood that needs chopping…"

"Hmm, maybe not as tempting as the hot tub offer, but I do like the look you get in your eyes when you watch me chop wood. That could end up with us in the hot tub anyway. So, yeah, that'd be a good offer."

"I do like watching you chop wood."

"I have noticed that, yeah," he said, chuckling no doubt at the fact she was blushing.

"I'm good if you two want to go up to the house," Mike said.

"I think our nephew thinks you can't wait until tonight," he murmured.

She'd be embarrassed about that implication except they both knew that Mike was not stupid. Some might have thought it strange that the four kids spent their time with Claire and John instead of Rene or April's parents. April and Rene both thought it was important for their kids to have friends away from California and celebrity. A chance for a little bit of normalcy. They were just kids here. No one took their picture. They could just exist.

"Well, he wouldn't be wrong that I think that would be a nice way to spend an hour…"

"Yeah, well, I know he says he can handle it, but I wouldn't want to leave him down here with Jacques and the other kids."

"I know and he's been stubborn about taking naps."

"You don't say," he said.

John knew that probably best of all since he was the one who was at the house in Shermer with the kids all day when Claire worked. She was able to work some from home, but there were times she had to make an actual appearance at their office.

"Then again, after some time outside maybe he'll take one when we get back up to the house."

"I can wait until tonight."

"Pity, but yeah, me too." He leaned in to kiss her, getting interrupted by a squealing Jessica. "I think someone caught her first fish."

"I think you're right."

"Have that camera ready still?"

"I do," she said.

He stepped away then and went in the direction of Jessica who was struggling to try and reel in whatever she'd caught. Claire took pictures as the two of them brought the fish in together. She held it up proudly if not a little hesitantly as Claire took a picture to show Mommy and Daddy her first fish.

"Well, at least Jessica has dinner for tonight. What about the rest of you?" John said.

Claire felt tears in her eyes as she regarded the group of them. There'd been a time where she didn't know how to act around Michael. She loved him, but his presence was … off putting to her. A reminder of things she didn't want to think about. She never really felt that way with Rene Junior. She wasn't sure to this day what the difference was.

Other than John was there the second time.

This, though.

Eleven years ago, when she'd asked him to come to Paris with her. She never in a million years imagined this being the result of that lie. To this day, only his neighbor Jessica knew that they hadn't actually been dating on that trip. She didn't care anymore, but she hadn't wanted her mom to find out. John had seemed to understand, and he hadn't really been of the mind to rush out and tell anyone either.

This, though.

She had a husband. She had John. The idea they'd ever see one another again to see if what they'd felt for one another that day of detention seemed so far-fetched. She had a happy, solid marriage. Did she still freak out at times to where John took a now very old Sammy for a walk?

Yes, yes, she did.

He'd learned by now she truly didn't doubt him. She'd learned by now not to jump to conclusions. Neither were accustomed to having someone to trust and count on before one another. She had two boys who she thought were really the best of both of them. Smart yet not afraid to get their hands dirty. Just as comfortable in suits they would wear to Easter mass and brunch at her parents' country club as they were being in cutoffs and shirtless chasing frogs here at the lake house.

Through her, John had family. She knew it was something that was pretty overwhelming to him as someone who until ten years ago had never had it. Unlike their sons, he was not comfortable in the suits he had to wear for Easter Sunday mass and brunch, but he did it without complaint because her mom fussed over him as his own mom should have done all along.

There were times she thought her mom might have been more proud of John, and all that he'd accomplished, than Claire was. When the second Simon Forge movie came out, her mom had hung a movie poster in their front window for anyone passing the house to see.

It was sweet, and John had had no idea how to react to such a thing. She was pretty sure her parents' acceptance of him and his job contributed to how much she loved him.

He regarded her once he was done unhooking Jessica's fish and set it in the bucket to be cleaned later. He saw the tears, she knew he did but he wouldn't want to draw attention to them. He knew her well enough by now that she wasn't upset.

"What's up, Princess?" he asked.

"Nothing."

"It's not nothing, I can tell but have it your way."

"It's just. If I never actually came out and said it, thanks for agreeing to meet me at Chi-Chi's," she said.

He shrugged then, giving Claire a wink and a smile. A smile that was only for her. Josh and Connor got smiles, but not like this one. One of the things he'd had framed and hung on the wall in his office at their house to this day was the booklet from their tenth class reunion. If he hadn't put his information in that book, she wouldn't have had any way of getting a hold of him to call him.

"Wow. Now that I wasn't expecting," he said. He straightened up then from the bucket and regarded her. He moved in, holding his hands up to avoid touching her after unhooking the fish, and kissed her. "It only took you ten years to say thank you, Princess, and I know that you were raised better than that. It certainly was a real good thing that I listened to my messages that day and had nothing else to do that night."

She bit her lower lip, shaking her head a bit. She'd love to argue with him, but he wasn't wrong. He found her ear then.

"And in case I never said it. Thank you for picking me as your fake boyfriend. It was the best lie I've ever been a part of. And I'd say that even without Josh and Connor as part of the equation."

~The End~

Return to Top

Part 24
The Breakfast Club Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com