***Chapter Nineteen***
October 2002

Hermione and Severus were spending a quiet weekend at their house since they both had the weekend free of rounds. It was almost Halloween, so Hermione had spent a good portion of Friday night putting decorations up.

Within reason.

She knew the holiday itself did not invoke the greatest memories or feelings for Severus. She tried to keep the decorations autumn or harvest related instead of stereotypical witches with warts on their noses who were stirring bubbling cauldrons, jack-o-lanterns, cute Casper-looking ghosts, and so on.

She had no idea what Severus had done back in February. Who he had talked to, but somehow Giles had come through for Buffy with enough money to be able to pay off her house and her mum's medical bills. Mysteriously, the blemishes on her record with Social Services seemed to have disappeared so they no longer had anyone breathing down their necks. Hermione had come to find out that the case worker in charge of the case had been assigned to a different county entirely. As she'd only had the one, no one would be the wiser that there'd ever been a file. Or that seemed to be the operating presumption. She supposed they'd see in six months or so if someone new knocked on the Summers' door on Revello Drive.

Buffy confessed to Hermione more than once the past few months that she was still struggling to figure out where she belonged in this world anymore. She was genuinely appreciative though that she no longer had to worry that she was going to lose her house or her sister. With Willow gone, Hermione found herself home every Saturday or Sunday depending on classwork and rounds so that she and Buffy could talk. They weren't always hours long conversations, but Buffy wanted to talk so Hermione made the arrangements to be there for her friend who was missing the confidence sharing she normally had with Willow. Hermione hadn't complained once about being the substitute. She'd had years to recognize her place in Buffy Summers' hierarchy. Right now, she was it.

He had done that, taken matters into his hands and acted because Buffy was someone quite important to Hermione. How could she not love him?

The he in question was in the kitchen, cooking something for dinner when her cell phone rang. She almost missed picking it up in time. She rarely remembered to keep the thing on her person when she was home weekends because it was just so foreign to her to carry it around. She called Buffy not the other way around weekends since Hermione was never certain from one weekend to the next if she'd be able to get home Saturday or Sunday. Hardly anyone called her on it anyway! At Hogwarts she kept it in their rooms with things like the keys to the house and their car that had to come with her when she came here.

Severus car shopping had been a thing to see. Needless to say they had a nice vehicle that would likely last them for many years given how seldom they'd use it. They hadn't paid an extravagant amount for it either. Hermione suspected some occlumency or blackmail had been involved, but he hadn't admitted to this point how he'd gotten the salesman to shave almost two thousand pounds from the total and she doubted he ever would. She just knew it was large enough to account for two children with car seats when they got to that point, but was not a station wagon or SUV. She was twenty-three years old, she did not want either of those types of vehicles!

"Hello," she said.

‘Hi Hermione, it's Buffy.'

"Oh hey. Is everything okay?" The question was asked because they'd just done their weekend phone call last night. The time difference could prove challenging at times, but they made it work. Hermione knew by now what time for her was too early to call Buffy and she knew what time was too late to call Hermione by now.

Okay, this was weird given she was just thinking about her and how her situation had improved over the past ten months or so. Hermione had visited Buffy a couple of times over the summer. She didn't stay more than a day or two as she was busy getting ready for a job at the new school. She'd spent enough time with her, though, to believe that she was truly doing okay.

Now.

She admitted she hadn't been for a while, but finally felt as if she was in a good place. Hermione had to take her friend at her word. She was sure the lack of financial worries played a huge role in her being in a better place. She still hadn't admitted to anything happening with Spike and since she'd inadvertently shared the memory with Severus not her. Well, Hermione refrained from saying she knew. If they were still … doing whatever it was they'd done last fall, Hermione had no clue. She was not going to invade her friend's mind to find out if she was having sex with Spike!

‘Um, yeah, with me. I just have a question. I'm sorry to bother you. If you're answering that means you're home. I never know if you're home all weekend when we talk on the phone or just the call we do. And I know we just talked last night. So if I'm interrupting a weekend you two had plans I apologize. It's just. Well, Giles just called. He said Willow's on her way back to Sunnydale. We knew she would be coming back soon, I guess none of us were expecting it this soon. Is she okay? Is there anything I should do? Should I be worried?'

"I hadn't heard she was going home yet, Buffy. Severus and Giles worked together, privately, on Willow's situation to avoid the Council finding out. I wasn't involved. I can only imagine if she's being sent home that it's because she is in a place where that's advisable. I know they have worked long and hard with her the past few months."

‘Okay. I mean, I'm excited, but a little scared. I never thought my best friend would try to destroy the world. I know five months is a long time, but it's also not a long time.'

Hermione sighed softly. She understood. She really did. It was hard to know what to think in these types of situations. If she were in Buffy's shoes she thought she would be doing exactly the same thing right now.

"I'll ask Severus and see if there's anything he can tell me and let you know. Okay? It may be email, but I will."

‘Sure. Thanks. You had a good day and everything? You know I don't think I've asked. Have you guys set a date yet?'

"Oh, yes, I told you! July fifth, coming up."

‘Did you? I'm sorry, Hermione. That sounds familiar now that you said the date again. I'll write it down now.'

"It's okay. If it was next week I'd be mad."

‘Yeah, I suppose we have time yet. And this school year is off to an okay start?'

"It is."

She really had taken to the job and the subject she was teaching. The students seemed to like being taught by Hermione Granger. She hadn't been completely sure what to expect there. It could have very easily gone to both ends of the scale as far as furious or not. She had not gotten permission, yet, to go to a muggle library yet. She was hoping next year the Board of Governors would approve it.

She would be able to, in part due to her ingenious fiance, get them exposure to the internet and computers. Severus had purchased a home about six blocks away from their home that had stood empty for years. Minerva even let them use a few Hogwarts' elves to ensure the house was clean, repaired, and not a danger to anyone visiting. It was actually somewhat ideal for their needs since the library was out.

For now.

Hermione was not going to give up on it! The house was empty and all they needed was electricity and the fireplace to be connected to the floo network. With no furniture or anything beside a couple small computer desks, her classes could fit in the living room well enough. They'd put spells on the windows so that anyone looking into the house would just see a normal-appearing house.

‘Good.'

"How's the new job? You have a new school year to talk about, too."

‘It's weird. I don't feel like I'm really in a position to help anyone, but they built the school in the same spot as the original one. On top of a hellmouth. So it's all evil and attracts baddies like nobody's business. So, I sort of have to be there. I just wish there was something else I could do.'

"At least it's better than fast food."

‘Oh God, yes, it is. I'll get there, I'm sure.'

"I know you will."

‘Okay, I'm going to go get Willow's room ready, I guess. Thank you for finding out for me.'

"Let me know if you need anything else, but I'm sure you will have it handled, Buffy. If Giles didn't think you could do it, if Willow could do it, he wouldn't send her to you."

‘I know that. He wouldn't put anyone at risk. I do, it's just I feel like I'm still figuring myself out and now I have to help someone else.'

"Well, maybe you can help each other. That may make Willow feel good. It may make you feel good, too."

‘You're right. Thanks.'

"I will let you know what I find out," Hermione said.

‘Thank you. And, Hermione, I know you made a special point to be home weekends for months now so that we could talk. I'm not very good at admitting I need help like that, so thank you.'

"You don't have to thank me, but you're welcome. I'll continue coming home weekends until you tell me you don't need our talks weekly anymore. If that's because Willow is back, great. If it's just because you realize you don't need them anymore, even better. And, Buffy? I love you. You are so strong and I don't just mean physically. You totally have this under control!"

Buffy took a shuddering breath loud enough Hermione heard it over the phone. It was one of those things Hermione felt, just like Harry and Ron, but she couldn't remember ever saying it to the Slayer. Tonight, Hermione thought not only did her friend need to hear it, but Hermione needed to say it. It wasn't that long ago she thought she'd never talk to her friend again!

‘I love you, too, Hermione. Thank you. Really. Just thank you.'

She hung up, setting her phone down and walked to the kitchen. She watched him for a minute or two. Just as in his classroom, handling potions ingredients. He was precise and exacting in their kitchen, too. There were some who would probably poke fun at the dynamic they had with him being the one to cook but it worked for them. She did help and she did clean up afterward so she liked to think it evened out.

She took a deep breath, knowing there was no way to sugarcoat or soften the question she was going to ask.

"You didn't tell me Willow was going back to Sunnydale already."

"Hmm, I recognize that tone, Hermione. Maybe talk to me before getting your protective hackles raised. If I didn't mention it it wasn't an intentional slight, it simply slipped my mind. The beginning of the school year is a hectic time. We also were quite busy getting your sub-classroom ready."

He was right and he had the added duties of stocking the infirmary with potions as well as regular class preparation. "Is she ready?"

"Rupert, myself, and my associate believe so."

"Buffy's not so sure, especially the fact Giles seems to be putting her on a plane by herself."

"Of course she's not. She wouldn't be human if she didn't have doubts. Willow herself has doubts, Hermione. If Rupert goes with her then what? He has to stay until she decides she's ready? When might that be? And Rupert is not responsible for Buffy or Sunnydale anymore."

"Severus!"

He held up his hand. "I didn't mean it like that. I know that's not the only reason he'd go, but Buffy needs to figure it out without him, too. She fired the Council, Hermione. He works for the Council. I know he loves her, and I understand why she did what she did. Actions and decisions have consequences, though. Life doesn't come with an instruction manual or a mentor, Love. You know it as well as I do."

"I do. I just," she shrugged. "Someone I know and like almost took it upon herself to end the world."

"And trust your wizard when he says she is no longer a threat. I can't say ever. There are no absolutes. You're too intelligent for me to lie to you and say that anyway. However, I believe that while it may take a bit of adjustment for them all, Willow will find her feet and be a help not a hindrance for the Slayer."

"Okay."

"I am not going to allow someone to let loose another Dark Lord on the unindoctrinated world, Hermione."

She sighed, feeling properly chastised because there it was. He knew what it was like to have a powerful maniac on the loose. She didn't really think he'd take chances so soon after Voldemort's defeat. She also found it interesting that he referred to him as the Dark Lord just now not Voldemort. Years later and it seemed as if people thought the taboo was still in place or something and talked around. Old habits were hard to break she supposed. This man had not called him Voldemort probably for  longer than she or Harry had been alive.

"I know you wouldn't. I just didn't expect it to be so soon."

"She worked hard. Very hard. I truly think she was frightened by what she'd done with her gifts, as she should have been. Giles had cautioned her throughout the years, but like I said once until Tara left her there really hadn't been any actual consequences to the things she'd done. I'm not blaming Giles, believe me he's put a lot of that on himself without my contributing to that. I know all about self-blaming, too, as I know you're aware. The three of us working personally with her could all relate to those feelings so she never felt judged. She also saw where all three of us were now despite our previous poor decisions. She had time in a controlled environment to work on mourning Tara's loss as well, so I do not think that should be a problem. Of course grief can take many forms so that may be the wild card in all of this. However, I think she felt tremendous guilt over what she deems as abandoning her friends, Buffy primarily obviously, but Dawn as well."

"Yeah, I'm not sure Dawn's going to get over her trying to turn her back into The Key's original form anytime soon."

"And that's her right, absolutely. No one's making Buffy, Xander, Anya, or Dawn feel or do anything. If we'd felt Willow was ready to return and she had wanted to go elsewhere, we certainly would have taken that into consideration. She wants to return, though. She wants to make amends. She wants her life back and she wants to do it with them."

She slid her arms around him, resting her cheek against his chest.

"Thank you for doing that. I know it couldn't have been easy to work with someone…"

"I wish someone had been there for me twenty-five years ago. It wasn't to be, obviously so no use dwelling on it. I am nothing without my experiences so why not share them so that someone else knows it's not utterly hopeless. Buffy's Council would certainly have imprisoned her, not under regular muggle laws either. She may never have been seen again."

"I understand that," she said.

"I imagined you would."

"Lydia knows I think."

"Knows what?"

"That Giles reached out to me. She didn't say anything specifically or ask any questions, but she hinted at it in an email back in July I think."

"How is she?"

She shrugged. "She seems fine. Busy. The same. She's still working for the Council at any rate."

"That's too bad."

"I know. She's good at her job, and I think she likes it."

"She's not like you. She can separate the research from the person she's doing it for. They're just a faceless subject to her. That would never be the case for you, Love, Buffy or not. I take that back, maybe if you'd never met her and she was just a faceless being you were doing research for. Even then, though, I think eventually you would have begun to feel something for this person saving the world repeatedly."

He was probably right. Buffy had been the Slayer for five years by the time the group from the Watchers Council went to Sunnydale to "meet" her and give her information on Glory. Until that moment she'd just been ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. She hadn't been a real person who ate, slept, and breathed. She wondered if Lydia saw her any differently now. She must, that must be why she'd told her to tell Buffy that she had support from some in the Council.

Hermione couldn't imagine staying for as long as Lydia obviously had been there. Her family had been working there for generations, though, so Hermione imagined it was tough to break away from that pressure. It made her head hurt thinking about it because she liked Lydia and didn't like the idea that she cared for someone who could be so callous about someone else's life.

Buffy was not just a weapon.

No Slayer was just a weapon.

"What's for dinner?"

"Is that your way of saying I am forgiven for neglecting to update you and that you're done discussing these topics and want sustenance?"

"Yes, please."

"As my witch commands. Pork chops with your favorites."

"Oh, that sounds delicious," she said.

She loved Hogwarts and the virtually unlimited food they had access to. However, there was something about pork chops, mashed potatoes with the skins left on, corn pudding, and glazed carrots that just hit the spot. That was the case with this meal on this October evening. The fact that they'd been made for her by this man because he knew they were among her favorites was just an added bonus that warmed her heart.

Return to Top

Part 18 | Part 20

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com