***Chapter Five***
July 1991

"You remember your promise, Severus," Albus reminded him none too subtly.

As if he had forgotten.

As if he would ever forget.

As if he could ever forget.

"I remember. It doesn't mean I have to like it, or him. You cannot make me do that!"

"Just remember to do what you can to ensure he makes it to the age of adulthood."

Severus rolled his eyes, unsure why he had been picked to be Harry Potter's bloody protector. Albus' idea of a perverse joke, for certain. Or his version of hell on earth. Severus wasn't sure which it was. Probably both.

"We seem to be having a problem getting his letter to him. It's his eleventh birthday in a few days."

Severus rolled his eyes at that. As if he didn't know that. He recalled when the boy's birthday was. His … past was rather intertwined with the fact he was born at the end of July. There were times he wondered if Albus remembered that Severus knew these things.

"You were the one who placed him with Lily's muggle relative who hates magic and the cow's family, Albus."

"Severus," the headmaster said in that chastising tone Severus knew well. He didn't like when Severus insulted people in such a way. Petunia deserved it! "It was important."

"Evidently. Well, let's hope the boy gets here then."

"Oh, he will be here," Albus said, his eyes twinkling. It made Severus wonder what he had planned. He might just enjoy seeing Petunia's reaction to whatever his boss and master had up his sleeve. Severus could admit the man had a sense of humour at times. "Just don't forget your promise."

"I have given you my word. Over ten years now I haven't gone back on that. I will not forget."


It was when he was drifting off to sleep that night that he heard it.

I'm a witch.

He sat up, casting a luminous but all was right in his quarters. A quick search netted him nothing. Not unexpected. No one would dare venture in here and the castle was empty except for Filch. He wouldn't bother Severus. Albus, of course, but he had better things to do than play tricks on Severus Snape. He needed to figure out how to get Harry Potter through the doors of Hogwarts in a little over a month now.

I'm a witch.

This time when he heard it his birthmark burned much like it had many years ago at his brother's home when it had changed colours.

He closed his eyes, turned his mind off, and let his subconscious take over.

Does that frighten you?

His question was met with silence.

"You're an idiot," he murmured to the darkness that was his empty room.

Is there someone there?

Yes, he replied.

Silence again.

What in Merlin's name?

I'm a witch.

He sighed.

It was obviously hopeless. He wasn't even sure what he'd been attempting to do.

He drifted off to sleep to the sound of what was most certainly a Hogwarts' acceptance letter being read to him. The voice was very obviously female so it wasn't Harry Potter, even at eleven it was clear this was a female speaker. That had been his first thought, his discussion about the wizard with Albus earlier led to this. That was obviously not the case.

If he was more awake he'd probably be more curious but as it was the tone of the words as they were read (repeatedly) was enough to send him to sleep.

Return to Top

Part 4 | Part 6

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com