***Chapter Two***
June 1988

Thankfully, Albus hadn't questioned Severus' request for the weekend off. His potions professor and spy rarely took time off so his employer, the headmaster, could hardly say no to his request. He wouldn't put it past Albus to do so, though, just to be difficult. His boss, and essentially his current master, did not like not knowing what Severus was up to. Seven years in and Severus didn't think Albus completely trusted him.

Then the old wizard trusted few so Severus supposed he should feel honoured he was among the few to have gained any from the wizard.

Still, there were no classes to be taught since it was a weekend. It was not a Hogsmeade weekend, he had no rounds, and he ensured that he was caught up on his grading and the potions he had to provide for Poppy and St. Mungo's.

Of course, spending a mid-June weekend in Iceland wasn't exactly his idea of a peaceful respite away from Hogwarts and Scotland. He sure wished his brother could find somewhere warmer that tended not to extradite wanted criminals to other countries, but beggars (or thieves in his brother's case) couldn't be choosers. Geta had chosen Iceland for a reason, and Severus couldn't fault his brother for wanting to protect himself. Severus wanted to protect himself, too.

He should have known when Geta requested his presence that it wasn't just to catch up. Identical as they were in appearance and basic mannerisms, the fact that Geta was muggle and Severus was magical was about the only difference between the twins. Severus wouldn't have invited Geta to go away when he was in the middle of planning for a job anymore than Geta would normally have called him away this weekend knowing he was working on a whim. School would be out within weeks. He could have done it then.

He should have known that meant he had an agenda.

It was about a year ago that they'd gotten together last and Geta had told him he was ready to call it quits as a criminal mastermind and live the life of an average man. He had over ten years of success without capture and was in a position to live off his earnings for the rest of life, and possibly another one if he had the longevity of a wizard. He was in the process of researching one final job, the one he could retire after and know he'd done what few could pull off.

This job could make it possible for Severus to leave the wizarding world, too.

While Severus was struggling as a student at Hogwarts, taking the Dark Mark, earning his stripes to gain entry into the Dark Lord's inner circle, apprenticing to be a potions master, and more recently working as a professor and spy; Geta Snape was building a reputation and an enterprise that few could usurp or topple as Hans Gruber. Ten years later he was virtually untouchable. In part because no one knew his real identity.

It was hard to catch someone who left no trail to follow.

Hans Gruber was revered and respected. Feared by those who thought they might fall on his radar of potential targets. Severus was, in truth, a bit envious of his twin. He'd accomplished what Severus had thought he would obtain by taking the Mark.

While Severus was learning to become an exceptional wizard, his brother was busy on the seedy Cokeworth streets becoming an exceptional thief. And teaching their younger brother the ropes before relocating to Germany because it seemed their younger brother had no actual plan on what to do with life. Severus couldn't take him in, he wasn't magical.

Severus assisted with their survival to some degree.

First there was the Gringotts vault Severus opened in Germany where Geta had been based out of for the last decade or so. He'd used a secondary wand that Geta had possession of and ensured the paperwork would allow Geta or Severus in with a proper password and key, they each had one. Both knew where the other one was kept, too, in the event one forgot.

The account helped because when money was changed into galleons it was difficult, virtually impossible really, to trace by muggles. Gringotts' goblins questioned very little as to where money they were changing came from. Too, these days Geta didn't have to convert all of his spoils to galleons. In fact, as far as Severus knew he didn't have to convert any any longer. He had a store of galleons in the vault to change into whatever currency he needed so he could just put the latest takings in his vault and let it sit.

The vault was the biggest thing Severus had helped him with. Geta had chosen Germany because it was near where Severus was doing his apprenticeship. No longer having to be separated by an unplottable castle, the twins did not want to be any further apart than they needed to be. So, Geta had followed. Severus didn't think his brother had any quibbles about the move. It had proven very profitable to him.

Currently, they were outside Reykjavνk in a home that no one but Severus and their younger brother knew about. Iceland was a country known to refuse extradition and few could get to him without him being aware of an interloper onto the property.

The security for his homes were the other thing Severus had assisted Geta with. In addition to a state of the art muggle security system, Severus had established a magical alarm system around the perimeters of his properties that would even alert his muggle brother to an intruder. The wards wouldn't stop someone from getting through or to the house, that was beyond what Severus wanted to attempt to do in muggle areas for his brother. Nothing happened to anyone crossing onto the property, Geta was just alerted to a presence.

If he wasn't aware someone was visiting he could take to his panic room and wait it out.

Geta had been going through some details with Severus about his most recently planned job. This was nothing new. He always liked to bounce things off someone who knew his mind better than anyone, and wasn't afraid of being beaten or shot for telling him he was a dunderhead.

This was the job he would be able to retire after. God willing. Severus tried to imagine being in a position to retire at the age of twenty-eight, twenty-nine he supposed by the time this last job actually occurred. His brother mentioned still being a half of a year or so away from executing his plan. Severus would still have to work. Honestly he couldn't imagine not working.

Certainly, ten years ago when his brother was branching out independently and he was working toward his mastery he assumed he would be in a position to have a relatively easy life. He, Geta, and Ambrosius could enjoy the fruits of their labour and efforts in style.

He still wasn't sure how his life had taken such a drastic turn. How had he allowed himself to be … taken in so severely? He and Geta had engaged in many conversations on that subject over the years yielding no firm conclusion. Other than Severus had been a fool and evidently craved something that Geta didn't provide him.

Something that Voldemort had, or had seemed to.

He still hadn't figured out what that was.

They'd both learned from Severus' experiences. Neither would act the fool again.

His brother was nothing if he wasn't methodical and particular. He would leave nothing to chance. There was always a risk and Geta had long ago told Severus he'd eat the cyanide packet he planted in his mouth before every job before facing prison.

Some would call that cowardly, however, Severus and Geta both found it … practical.

Severus couldn't blame his brother. He wouldn't want to spend years in prison either and he didn't have the … rich tastes his brother did. For sure, Severus liked nice things, but he preferred spending more on the things that he truly wanted. Geta enjoyed surrounding himself with many fashionable things whether he truly wanted or even liked them or not.

"And you are sure this will work," Severus asked his twin. He would have a bigger team on this job and he would be counting on people reacting the way he assumed they would.

"Positive," he said, accentuating the German accent he'd become proficient with over the years. Severus wondered if any of his crew knew Hans Gruber was, in fact, not German but very British.

Sometimes Severus wondered if Hans Gruber remembered that fact. (Severus reminded him of it being so more than occasionally just because he could.)

Severus looked at him dubiously but nodded. The hacker he'd paired up with did seem … capable. Not that the wizard knew much of anything about computers. However, his brother was no less intelligent than he was. So if Geta vetted him and found him capable after working on more than a few jobs with him.

Then he was.

Even if he had changed his name to something more ridiculous sounding than Geta (and Severus) Snape.

Hans Gruber.

Severus snorted not for the first time, and likely not the last, at the thought of the name his brother had chosen over ten years ago now.

Did people actually believe that was his real name?

He'd changed it to protect Severus and their younger brother, Ambrosius (who now went by Simon, something equally as unoriginal as Hans). Their parents had nothing to do with their decision process. None of the boys could give a shit about their parents opinions of them.

Why he never thought to come up with a different name from the ridiculous one his parents bestowed upon him as his twin and younger sibling had done he wasn't sure. Other than Severus did fit with the magical world. It was certainly original and garnered respect from those who knew their muggle history.

"And you are thinking December or January?"

"I am," Hans said with a nod as he took a sip from his tumbler of whiskey. Severus did the same. "Theo and I are analyzing the various information we've received and have access to through various avenues."

Severus nodded. A time table.

Six more months.

A little more than one last term of dealing with dunderheads and Albus' twinkling eyes.

Six more months of servitude. And there was no question that being indentured to Albus Dumbledore was servitude just the same as under the Dark Lord had been. There were times he thought he'd prefer the beatings and torture to the guilt Albus tried to keep him buried in.

He could do this.

Geta had always promised him that when it was time for him to get out he would ensure Severus could get out, too. He'd told Geta the day Lily's son would be at Hogwarts was nearing. He'd also mentioned Albus' insistence that the Dark Lord would be returning.

Neither twin wanted Severus to go through that.

An opportunity to start over. 

Blank slates.

The two of them.

Separately, of course, but aware of one another's location. And this property known about.

They could be anything they wanted. They both had the minds to do whatever they set them to. Hell, Severus was more than just fairly certain he could teach Geta the basics in potions making if his brother thought he couldn't lay low amongst muggles after this heist.

No, his brother wasn't giving him half or any such nonsense.

Severus wouldn't … expect that. He was doing the heavy lifting and risking his life as it were. Severus had assisted him over the years to where he didn't feel as if he was taking handouts. His brother just wouldn't disappear, leaving his twin in potential danger anymore than Severus would do to him. He would want to know Severus was safe from harm before disappearing.

As Harry Potter's imminent return to the magical world got closer, Severus Snape found himself wanting out more and more. In three years the boy would be here, Severus would have to teach the prat's son. Who knew what he might have been taught by Petunia Dursley. Severus sneered at the thought of that cow of a woman. How had someone even married her?

He hadn't heard about it, his invitation to her wedding had obviously gotten lost in the mail. (Or not.) Albus had been the one to tell him she'd married when he'd mentioned where and with whom the Potter child was staying. He'd wanted Severus' input on the area and if there were things that he should or shouldn't do magically speaking as far as protection for the boy in the neighbourhood.

There was the remote possibility, of course, that the child would not be magical, but he doubted it.

This life wouldn't grant him any such favours.

Certainly not that one.

Albus seemed pretty certain the boy would be attending Hogwarts.

Severus was pretty sure if there was a chance for something to go to shit in his life, it would. Having to teach James Potter's son would be one form of personal hell he'd prefer to avoid.

He wasn't sure he bought Albus' musings about the Dark Lord's return, however, if anyone was capable of achieving such a feat it was Tom Riddle. Severus knew that a second round of spying and giving into the Dark Lord's whims wasn't going to end well for him. How could it?

He had enough scars, thank you very much. Wasn't having Lily die anyway punishment enough?

So, no, he wasn't expecting half of this heist his brother had planned and was going to implement even if he was part of the reason Hans came up with the idea of such a large payout as his final curtain call.

Hans was giving him enough to see about getting the Dark Mark and its magical power removed and to settle into a nice life for himself in whatever small magical community he wished to settle in.

He already (discreetly) researched and picked out the magical healer in remote Thailand who he was fairly confident could remove the tattoo and the magic that controlled it completely.

Nice thing about Thailand.

They didn't give a shit about another country's politics. So the woman he had heard rumblings about being proficient in such things should keep her mouth shut as long as she got paid for her services. (He shuddered to think of the other people she'd assisted who had marks such as his Dark Mark and their … purposes. None could be good. That should have been his first clue that the Dark Lord was not someone he wanted to follow. Hindsight, of course, was twenty-twenty,)

He would have a small apothecary and live a quiet life with plenty of books and he would be far, far away from Hogwarts, another Potter, war, the Dark Lord, and snowy winters. There was no doubt when Geta pulled this off Severus would have to flee. Eventually, they would realize that Hans Gruber wasn't his true name and that would lead the muggle authorities to their Cokeworth home's doorstep. A heist like this didn't get pulled without heads rolling and lots of attention on the other side of it being pulled off.

And that could potentially lead to questions.

Questions that would make Albus Dumbledore doubt him and his loyalties. (How Severus having a twin had escaped Albus' notice the wizard still hadn't a clue to this day. Other than the fact the old man just hadn't been looking for it. What were the odds one would be muggle and the other magical?)

As if getting tortured wasn't proof he'd truly changed sides! Then again maybe Albus didn't think beyond the wizarding world and wasn't concerned with what he might be up to out amongst muggles.

Questions that would make people wonder how much he knew. He was a master at occlumency, but Albus wouldn't like something so unseemly being associated with one of his professors.

He loved Geta and Ambrosius like, well, the brothers they were but he had not turned traitor and succumbed to the torture he had at the hands of Voldemort for the Order just to go to prison for either one of them. He had chosen the wrong side for a while, but turned himself around. He wasn't going to go back. He couldn't. He was fairly sure his soul couldn't weather that. Yes, it took the threat to Lily for that to happen but he'd still done it. He likened it to an alcoholic not able to see what they were doing until they hit their bottom. The threat to Lily was his bottom. He had managed somehow to stay on the right path to this day.

There was nothing stopping him, after all, from continuing to pursue his interest in the dark arts away from Voldemort. He didn't need a Dark Lord or to follow someone for that. He would always keep abreast of those things. He had to. Someone had to, and he would not rely on anyone else to do so capably. He no longer had an … interest in going down that road.

Their meeting last year had consisted of Geta approaching him, wanting to know if magic could help them with this heist. He did this with more than just a few of his more complicated jobs over the years. It was one of the things that made Geta an exceptional thief, he was aware magical resources existed, might be an option, and wasn't afraid to ask his brother if there were any that could be used on various jobs.

Severus hadn't sought him out, he never did. He didn't like knowing his siblings were living the dangerous lives they'd chosen. The past few years of spying after Voldemort's demise hadn't been overly dangerous. Severus knew who to approach with caution or not be alone with. Some wanted him dead for his traitorous testimony. Some, like Lucius Malfoy, were willing to forgive something they believed he did for love. For a witch, even if she was a muggleborn.

The Dark Lord was dead, but that didn't mean those who followed him and shared his beliefs were gone. Albus wanted to know who was doing and saying what. Severus had to this point heard nothing about the return of the Dark Lord. He kept his ear to the ground, though, staying friendly with those who would have him.

That was a year ago. Honestly, Severus had assumed Geta had decided it wasn't worth the risk or moved onto something else. Or just decided he didn't want to get out yet.

He'd offered Severus a cut for his assistance as he always did. This job's cut was just a bit more generous than usual knowing it was going to be the last. Geta wanted Severus free of his bonds, all of them both literal and physical. Well, he wasn't going to turn up his nose at the possibility of getting out, too. That did not mean he wanted the muggle authorities coming after him. He'd dealt with them more than a few times over the years at their house before their parents died.

Geta and Ambrosius had as well in dealings with their father. Domestic disturbances (the legal jargon representing abuse), drunken disorderlies, public indecency (usually urinating in public as a result of the drunkenness), petty theft, and vandalism had all been among the things their father had been accused of at various times.

There was no way the police would just let Severus go with a "have a nice day" if his brother was caught in this endeavour of his.

Would his crew turn on him? Most important would Theo? Theo was rather crucial, essentially the lynchpin, to this plan it sounded like. Geta seemed to trust him, and Severus believed they'd worked together for a while now. The wizard Severus introduced him to a few years ago and would reintroduce him to again soon it seemed would serve him well as he had in the past.

The first time Geta had approached him about a wizard he could use, Severus had scoffed at the very idea. Did his brother think he would truly let those he knew in the magical world become aware that he had a brother and that that brother was a criminal?

His initial request had been met with a staunch ‘no' from Severus and a hearty laugh at the audacity of his brother thinking he would risk that exposure. He did have a reputation to protect. Their mother's maiden name meant something in the wizarding world, even if Geta didn't know that.

And yet, the more he'd thought on his brother's request Severus came to a realization.

He would do whatever he could to ensure his brother was able to perform his jobs and come home alive afterward. If his brother thought a wizard might assist with that, who was he to argue?

There were Death Eaters that Severus loathed with every breath he took. He'd made a list of … options. At the top of the list were those he despised most for various reasons. So, he'd offered up Otis Behrens and obliviated the idiot after every job Geta had used him on to this point. If Behrens got caught he had no real information to turn anyone in. Geta ensured that and Behrens was always approached third hand so he had no idea Severus was involved in singling him out.

And should something bad happen to that fucking bastard? Well, Severus wouldn't shed tears over his demise. He was one of the worst when it came to Lily's death, harping on Severus about it and her apparent fickleness as well as her blood status.

Severus as Geta would approach Behrens at the end of each job with his payment, watching as the pathetic wizard's eyes changed from excitement over his pay day to the blankness of recalling nothing as he obliviated him. With the obliviate came the forfeiture of his payment, of course.

Severus and Geta got a good laugh out of the thought of the schmuck coming to in a Munich alleyway with no recollection of how he got there and no money for his efforts every time it happened over the years.

It was one of the many things that he loved about Geta. He didn't need or want to know why Severus hated Behrens. His twin did, it was good enough for Geta to hate him, too.

And Geta and Severus both had the means to embarrass and make a fool of him.

Repeatedly.

"All right."

"And that Behrens wizard will cooperate again?"

"I'm sure that he will," Severus said with a snort.

Ten years in and the idiot hadn't seemed to recognize the signs of his memories being altered several times now. Severus never wiped the memory of their "chance" meetings completely, only altered it so he had no memory of Severus referring him for a job. "If not, he's not the only … expendable former Death Eater I can send your way."

"Very well. I'll send an owl when I think we're coming to the point of needing his services."

Severus nodded. Geta could have his own owl. They corresponded enough for it to be a convenient and worthwhile purchase, but neither wanted that traceability. It was tiresome at times because while Severus had his pick of any random Hogwarts owl, Geta did not.

"And Ambrosius is sitting this one out?"

"He hates when you call him that."

He rolled his eyes. "I refuse to call him Simon. Ambrosius at least has … meat and power to it. Simon is just ridiculous."

"You think Hans is ridiculous as well."

"I do, of course," he nodded in agreement. He did, in fact, think Hans Gruber was a ridiculous name. There was one difference between the two brothers, though. "You, however, have earned my respect. Ambrosius has done little but follow in your footsteps and ride your coattails. Could he plan this, do you think?"

Ambrosius had the disadvantage of being uprooted and moving to Germany with Geta after their dad's death. Their mum had gone first and while maybe their father had not kept a good home, Ambrosius had at least been able to go to school. Their father followed their mum shortly after and their fourteen year old brother had to go somewhere. Severus was too immersed in the wizarding war and its aftereffects to step up. Geta had done so, which probably worked out better anyway. (Or not, considering Ambrosius' criminal career path.)

Geta scoffed. "No, he's not ready for something this intricate yet. I've included him in things so that he can understand why I'm taking the steps I am. He is getting there, though, Brother. He is a good second."

Severus wasn't sure their younger brother was aware the two of them were going to ride off into the sunset post haste after this job was complete. Severus certainly hadn't told him and he doubted Geta had either.

Not that either of them planned on abandoning their brother. No, but the three of them could not be seen together. Geta and Severus especially. Ambrosius. Well he was a scrappy fellow who would no doubt survive and succeed. No one would be the wiser as to his being related to Severus and Geta.

What was more, unlike Geta having a twin there was nothing connecting Simon Classen (though most everyone it seemed believed Simon's last name was Gruber) to either of them. One only had to take a look at Severus and Geta to know they were related. Muggle authorities weren't entirely inept. So Severus could not traipse about the world after his twin pulled off a heist of this one's seeming magnitude. Ambrosius did not have the familiarity with magic that Geta did either being he was barely older than a toddler when Severus left for Hogwarts.

Ambrosius looked nothing like the two of them either. Where their hair was brown and their eyes as close to black as they could be, Ambrosius' hair was a rather dirty blonde. The only thing stopping Geta and Severus from being certain their mother had been unfaithful to their father was the fact he had brown eyes. Lighter than theirs but still brown.

And the nose.

He had the Snape nose.

The one thing that his father had so generously passed onto all three of his sons that was "distinguished", which of course the boys all hated. No one else had their nose and it was the source of ridicule for all of them from the moment they stepped within the walls of their various educational institutions. Severus and Geta had at least had each other, Ambrosius had no one.

"And you are sure you do not want a … sampling of my offerings tonight, Brother?"

Severus scoffed again.

"No," he said.

He did not want a woman. At least not in the way he'd come by it here. Or however many Hans Gruber brought with him for this weekend's excursion (and would ask Severus to obliviate their memory of everything specific about the weekend before leaving).

He'd had a few years now to come to terms with the fact that Lily had never been his woman, James Potter in the picture or not. He had nothing but time on his hands some days down in the dungeons by himself while he did potions work and prepared for classes.

It was the only thing that he had not come clean with Geta about.

He preferred realizing that he'd been a complete imbecile who mistook friendship and attention for something that it just wasn't (and really from what he could ascertain never had the potential of being) privately. So, his brother, like Albus, seemed to believe he was carrying a torch for a deceased woman. He had yet to meet a woman who captured his attentions in any way shape or form so he was willing to let them believe it. It was better than them thinking there was something … wrong with him. Physical attributes while pleasing to look at were not what would attract Severus. He needed more than just a pretty face.

Any woman here would be his brother's castoffs, or someone his brother brought here with the purposes of bedding Severus. He wanted none of that as they were likely paid in some way or another to do so.

One day, away from here and with the Mark but a memory he would see about pursuing that avenue. Until then it was a fool's errand. Another thing (person) to either leave behind or fill in on the Snape secrets.

"Well, there is plenty of this left," he said, holding up his tumbler.

No guff, no innuendos. Just acceptance. And perhaps a soft sigh of wishing his brother would move on from that redhead. (Geta never liked her. He, thankfully, had never once said "I told you so" in the almost seven years she'd been gone.)

"Thank you."

Neither brother drank to excess. Memories of their father and how easy it would likely be to become him kept them from doing it more than socially.

One thing he did know as he headed to his room for the night after he and his brother had finished their commiserating. This wouldn't be the last weekend they spent at this home in Iceland. It would be the only place Geta aka Hans would show himself for quite some time once he went into hiding and changed his identity again.

Return to Top

Part 1 | Part 3

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com