Chapter Forty-One
December 1999

"You are supposed to be sleeping," Severus whispered into his witch's ear.

"Severus, I can't, we have company coming."

"Midge and Loody are more than capable," he said.

"I know, but…"

"Hermione," he said. "Erik needs his mother rested and healthy. Our company understands and will not mind."

She sighed, turning to face him.

"It's just his first Christmas."

"One that he is not even a month old for yet, my sweet. Reserve your strength for next year when he will have some ability to enjoy all of the festivities."

"Why are you here?"

"Why am I in bed with my wife?"

"Yes," she said.

He shrugged. "I came to check on you and decided to join you for a bit. How are you feeling," he said, kissing her cheek and chin.

"I feel fine," she said.

Erik had been a stubborn one, coming almost two weeks late and taking his sweet time in joining the world when contractions did finally start. He was, however, perfect and, next to Hermione, the most incredible thing he'd ever been privy to.

Miraculous.

Severus Snape had been on the receiving end of a miracle. Twice now and he was still wrapping his mind around the fact the Fates seemed to believe he deserved even one of them.

"I am glad," he murmured, finding her lips then. "Now go back to sleep. Odette or I will bring Erik to you when he wakes again. No doubt our night will run long so rest while you can."

"If you insist," she said and he smiled at her.

"I absolutely do, my Basil."

"My Mare," she murmured, snuggling against his chest.

Soon, their home was bustling with people. Instead of Christmas at the Burrow, everyone was at their home. Severus was quite sure Molly Weasley didn't know what to do with herself, even joining their house elves in the kitchen on more than one occasion.

Harry stood from his spot at the table when everyone was done with dessert.

"So, um, since everyone's here that matters to us and we're not sure when that will happen again," he said, glancing around the room at everyone gathered. He took a deep breath and Hermione smiled. She already knew because she'd gone with Harry to help him pick out the ring. He wanted to get her a muggle engagement ring. "Ginny has agreed to marry me."

Everyone erupted into congratulations, which caused little Erik to stir more than once.

As the night drew to a close everyone was gone except Harry, Ron, Ginny, Luna, and Draco, who had come after having dinner with his mother. The youngest Malfoy was the one currently holding Erik with Odette by his side. The two of them got along quite well, Hermione would even say they were friends. Maybe it was due to being the only Slytherins when assembled in groups like this. Whatever the reason despite his harshness at times overall Draco was nice to the younger witch.

"He looks so serious," he said after a good ten minutes or so of studying the newborn. He glanced at Odette as if wanting for confirmation of his observation from her.

"Imagine that," Ron quipped.

"Ronald," Hermione said.

"What, it's true? I mean, come on. The bloke doesn't stand a chance of being anything but a genius."

"Well, of course he does," Hermione said.

"Right. We all know there's a chance, but it's not going to turn out that way."

"You did well, Godfather," Draco said as if the conversation hadn't even occurred. His eyes fell to Hermione, Severus noticed even though his comment was said to him.

"I didn't really have anything to do with it, but thank you, Draco."

"Thank you for including me tonight. I'm sorry I couldn't make it for dinner."

"We understood," Severus said. "I trust your mother is well?"

"Yes, she is," he said simply.

No doubt things were quite different than the Christmas holidays Draco was accustomed to. The Malfoys were on a tight leash, which meant they had to watch how they spent their money right now. It was part of Narcissa's punishment for her involvement with the Dark Lord. Severus was trying to help Draco invest and budget what little bit of extra the Malfoys did have.

Midge and Loody appeared.

"Will the Headmaster and Mistress be needing anything else?" Loody asked.

"No, thank you for everything today," Hermione said.

"Mistress is most welcome," Midge said, bowing.

"Midge and Loody will be returning to Hogwarts then," Loody said.

"Happy Christmas," Hermione said.

"Happy Christmas to Headmaster and his family."

With a pop they were gone.

"I still can't believe Granger has an elf," Draco said with a smirk as he grazed Erik's cheek with his thumb. Severus wondered whether the young wizard had ever held a newborn before and if not, why he was so comfortable doing so when Severus himself felt completely out of his element. He held Erik, but he was still not entirely comfortable doing it.

"Madam Snape has an elf who is happy to be in her employ," Severus said.

"I know, I know. Anyone can see Midge loves her. It's just comical."

Hermione stood with Odette, Ginny and Luna, going into the kitchen.

"Congratulations, Harry," Draco said as he regarded Harry and Ron.

"Thank you," Harry replied, seeming surprised at Draco's well-wishes. They'd seen one another a few times since Severus and Hermione had been together, but they'd always managed somehow to stay out of one another's business.

"You and your father clearly share a type, eh?" Draco asked.

Harry frowned for a moment and shrugged. "I guess we do," he said. "I hadn't really thought about it, but yeah."

Severus wanted to say something, but he refrained. He and Potter had gotten along rather decently of late. He didn't want to ruin that, and he had come to the conclusion that Harry wasn't James.

Yes, Harry made plenty of careless mistakes while at Hogwarts, but if he hadn't been raised by the Dursleys he'd like to think he would have known better. Getting thrown into the magical world and being told you are somewhat of a revered hero that young wizards and witches were raised with was perhaps a bit of an overwhelming introduction to the wizarding world and its people.

"Your mother would approve," Severus said simply. He had no doubt she would have liked Ginevra Weasley.

"Really?"

"Yes," he said.

"And my father?"

"I really couldn't say, but I presume yes."

"Thank you, Sir, Severus," he said.

"And you, Weasley," Draco asked. "Any wedding bells with Lovegood coming soon?"

"No! Maybe, but no. I'm still figuring out what I'm doing. We're just hanging out."

"Is that what they call it these days?"

"What about you and that Scandinavian witch," Ron asked.

He shrugged. "She's interesting," he said.

"Is that good or bad?" Harry asked. "She seemed nice," he offered, standing then to claim his godson from Draco's arms.

Severus agreed she seemed nice, but not nearly as bright as Draco deserved. Like Severus, Draco would need someone who could challenge him. If it weren't for the soul marks, there were times Severus wondered if Hermione and Draco wouldn't have been a good fit. Certainly some of the looks Severus saw his godson bestowing his wife suggested the younger wizard might have this same thought. He wasn't sure Draco could ever completely put his biases aside, though, even for an intelligent witch.

"Is it hard?" Harry asked.

"You'll have to be more specific if you actually expect an answer, Harry," Severus said.

"Sorry. Taking care of a baby," he said.

"Hard? No. Terrifying? Yes," he said with a grimace. "I'm not exactly known for being a gentle man."

"But your hands," Harry said.

"What about them?"

"Well, you're used to being so careful and exact with them when it comes to ingredients and such. I bet it makes you very capable when it comes to your son."

"Perhaps so," Severus said.

"He's perfect, you know," Harry said, grazing Erik's nose with the tip of his little finger.

"I think on this we can agree."

"Did she threaten to hex you or anything during. While. You know?"

"Labor? No, she was," Severus paused. "Amazing. It was truly the most amazing thing I think I've personally been witness to."

"You're lucky for as long as it went on," Ron said.

"On this we can agree, too," Severus said.

Erik started stirring then and Harry took that as a hint and started in the direction of the kitchen. Ron followed, leaving Severus and Draco.

"It wasn't just Erik I was talking about you having done well with, Godfather," Draco said.

Severus eyed him curiously.

"It's nice seeing you happy, not so tense all of the time. You deserve it."

"I want the same for you, Draco."

"Gretchen," he shrugged. "She just doesn't challenge me."

Severus nodded. "You do not have to marry the first witch you consider, Draco."

"I know, but Mother would like grandchildren."

"You control your future, not her. Do not let her desire to further the Malfoy name outweigh your happiness and your future. It is yours after all. Not hers. Not your father's."

"She is lovely, though."

"She was fetching," Severus admitted. "You would probably make striking children, but just as you're doing now, Draco. Children grow up and leave the home. There has to be something more than striking children to get you through many more decades without children in the home than there were with."

"You have that with Hermione," Draco said.

"I do, and am very lucky that's the case. You have a rare opportunity, Draco. You can be whoever and make whatever you want of yourself. Your mother will learn to deal with whatever decisions you may make because you are a free man, really for the first time in your life. And even more your soul, barring an activity I know nothing about, is intact."

"Thanks to you and to Potter. I don't really know what that might be, though."

"You don't have to decide tomorrow, but you are old enough that you should start thinking about what you may like to do with your tomorrows. Maybe you could come with us to Nice next summer and spend some time in Wizarding France. Meet some magical people who have no biases or preconceived notions about you. "

Draco waggled his eyebrows at that. "That sounds like a great idea!"

"We're not running a brothel, Draco, and Odette is at an impressionable age."

"I know, Godfather, I wouldn't do that in your home anyway."

"Thank you," he said, nodding in appreciation of that token of respect. "Are you staying for the night?"

"If you're sure it's all right," Draco said.

"She wouldn't have offered if it wasn't."

"Great," he said.

Severus knew Draco didn't want to go back home. Being in Malfoy Manor just him and his mother was rather lonely. Of course, Draco staying here meant his mother was truly alone and left to her own devices, but Severus couldn't fault his godson for wanting to be away from the solitude for a while. Hermione had offered him to stay the week if he wanted, and surprisingly his godson had accepted the offer.

Those that were not staying the night took their leave after goodbyes were said all around.

"Is it strange?" Draco asked when Hermione had taken Erik upstairs to put him to bed.

"What?" Severus asked.

Draco held out his hands, gesturing to the room.

"All of it."

He nodded in Odette's direction who smiled ratherly shyly at Draco Severus noticed.

Hmm.

"You have a daughter, a son, a wife, and just had Christmas dinner with Harry Potter, Remus Lupin's son, and the entire Weasley clan at your home, and now we're sitting in front of a fire, drinking muggle liquor in a muggle home."

"It is unexpected. All of it, but not strange. I knew the mark was there all along, of course. So, while I never dreamed I'd find my soulmate, certainly as my life progressed I believed it less and less likely. Less likely I'd ever find her, less likely whoever she was that she'd accept our bond. However, I would not call it strange."

Hermione eventually joined them for a few hands of muggle card games before the four of them went to bed for the night.

"Are you sure you're ready to return to Hogwarts tomorrow?" he asked when they were in bed for the night.

"Yes. I know we have potions to brew for the infirmary and St. Mungo's."

He was trying to ensure even with her leave after having Erik she kept up on the hours she'd need for brewing to achieve her mastery. There were also the two potions that she was trying to improve upon as well as her invention. He knew she wouldn't want weeks from that work. They would spend their days at Hogwarts and their nights here for the course of their break. That would leave Odette and Draco to their own devices for the week, but Severus thought his daughter was looking forward to educating Draco on muggle things.

"Happy Christmas, Hermione," he whispered, brushing his lips over the top of her head.

"Happy Christmas, Severus," she murmured. "Thank you for letting us have it at our home."

"Actually, it was somewhat enjoyable watching Molly Weasley fidget."

Hermione laughed. "Right? She deserves a break, too."

"Indeed," he agreed. "Now go to sleep, Witch, our son will need sustenance soon."

"You needn't remind me," she said with a soft laugh.

She'd bought a muggle contraption that allowed her to strap Erik to her chest so that she could walk and such while still keeping him close to his mother. She didn't need it now, but once she returned to Hogwarts she wanted the ability to have Erik near as often as she could. He knew that as capable as Midge and Loody were to care for their children, Hermione wanted to be as hands on as possible. He loved that about her.

Among many other things that made him realize he'd hit the proverbial pot of gold when Fate saw fit to make them soulmates.

Return to Top

Part 40 | Part 42

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com