Chapter Forty
September 1999

August found them splitting their time between the house and Hogwarts to prepare for the school year. He had a few trips to the Prince estate in there, too. Severus still hadn't found someone to take the Potions position. He realized it probably had something to do with his exacting standards. Severus was working with Hermione on some administrative work so that she could do that while he taught classes. Minerva as his deputy would help obviously, but he knew that Minerva wanted to retire one day - sooner rather than later - and he'd like his wife to be his deputy if she was willing. So he wanted her to have the knowledge and tools of the position.

With her NEWT scores she could do whatever she wanted, and there was a part of Severus that wondered if he wasn't holding her back. She'd get her apprenticeship in Transfiguration done with a second in Potions because even if she wasn't officially his apprentice he was doing everything with her that he would an apprentice so that she could get her mastery in both. She was even working on a potion of her own invention. He wasn't privy to anything but the bare bones basics for the moment.

With Outstandings in all ten NEWTs she took plus being Hermione Granger, member of the Golden Trio, and Harry Potter's best friend the sky was literally the limit for her. Was keeping her here at Hogwarts holding her back? Preventing her from achieving her goals? He knew that she'd planned on more than being a wife and mother before the age of twenty-one. She had to have.

"You look distracted today, Severus," Kingsley said.

"Just beginning of the school year craziness," Severus replied.

"Are you sure? There haven't been any additional threats, have there?"

"No, I assure you I'd tell you if there had been." Kingsley nodded in response.

Severus was aware that as long as former Death Eaters and those loyal to the Dark Lord were out there he was in danger, but Hogwarts was as safe as he could get. Well aside from hiding himself in Spinner's End, which wasn't an option as far as he was concerned.

"And Hermione is feeling well?"

"Yes," Severus said simply.

"Okay, I won't push, but if you ever needed an ear. I know this is all new for you."

"And you with no wife and children have the answers?"

Kingsley chuckled loudly at that.

"No, of course not, but I like to think of you as a friend, Severus, inasmuch as anyone is your friend and if you have something on your mind you don't care to burden Hermione with…"

"Nonsense," he said, waving his hand in dismissal at the very idea. "She'd know anyway, downside of the bond."

"Ah," he said.

They didn't talk to others much of the marks and bond because no one understood it any better than they did. Neither enjoyed the curious and longing looks they were on the receiving end of when they mentioned it in front of the few that knew about their soul marks. So it just remained one of those things that went unspoken more often than not.

"I just wonder if this is the life she deserves," he said.

"Ah," Kingsley said again, the inflection this time different from the last. "Well, I personally think you are good for Hogwarts, Severus, I look forward to what you can do without a war going on. I know you have ideas on how to decrease the house animosity that has seemed to be prevalent forever here. I'm sure she sees that. I won't lie to you and say that there is no one at the Ministry wanting to offer her jobs the moment they know she's in the market for those offers."

"I know," he said proudly. "I don't want her to feel she can't take them."

"I doubt she would. I haven't observed the two of you very often, but I've heard the way Harry and others have spoken about you. She would talk to you. She's about to have a baby, Severus, I'm sure she's more focused on that anyway."

"I suppose," he said with a slight nod. "People do have babies and jobs, though."

"She's still doing her apprenticeship. Clearly she wants to do that, or she wouldn't have agreed."

"Correct," he agreed.

"And she seems to thrive in teaching if the way she got young Miss Snape to come around is any indication. Not only come around but be willing to take your name instead of keeping her family name."

"I was shocked at that turn of events myself, truthfully, but I would never have thought to adopt her and not at least give her that option. Hermione is good with the students, all of them. Unlike me at her age she had no problem transitioning from student to authority figure and the students taking her seriously."

"That may have something to do with her husband being the Headmaster."

"It may," he said with a soft chuckle.

"Anyway. My door is always open, Severus."

"I appreciate the offer, Kingsley."

"I suppose it's about time for you to get to class," he said.

"Yes," he said with a roll of his eyes.

"Would she teach both if she could?"

"Probably, if I had my choice and she wants to remain teaching I'd rather have her in Potions."

"Why?"

"Because while she may have a better disposition than I had for teaching, she's a perfectionist the same as I am and would never risk a student's safety."

"Fair enough."

They stood then, shaking hands as Snape led Kingsley to the floo before he went down to his classroom for the day.



His first classes of the day were the sixth and seventh years respectively, and he was having a difficult time getting them to stay focused. The girls in particular. It was baffling to him. They weren't being unruly or disruptive, they just weren't paying as close attention to their work as he would like. It had been like that since the beginning of the school year and getting worse as the month progressed.

At lunch, he asked Minerva to sit next to him, which surprised his deputy headmistress. Her place for most of last year had been next to Hermione as Severus had thought that would be less abrasive for everyone.

"Have you noticed, Minerva, the sixth and seventh years are less focused?"

"No," she said after taking a sip of her tea. "How so?"

"They do the work, but barely, and I swear I've caught Miss Wilcox acting as if she was in another world on several occasions already only weeks into the year."

Minerva's lips twitched in the hint of a smile as she glanced from Severus to Hermione on his other side.

"Do you want to tell him, Dear, or should I?" she asked his wife.

"I'm quite sure she's not teaching either of our classes, Minerva."

"Well, no, honey," Hermione said. "Let's see. Where to start? You are a war hero, a spy who successfully fooled for years the scariest wizard our generation has known, you survived death, and you smile on occasion now. Add to that you have me as your wife and my condition…"

"I'm not sure what your point is," he said, glancing from Hermione to Minerva. "What am I missing?"

"You are what muggles call ‘a catch', Severus, and seeing your wife with child has painted you in a new, shall we say, virile romantic hero light?" Hermione added.

He set his tea cup down. "What?"

She giggled then. His witch giggled! She at least had the courtesy of bowing her head a little so it didn't appear she was laughing at him.

"I'm sorry if that's a surprise to you, Husband, but I'm close to their age and clearly my condition insinuates we have bedded one another at least once. Proof of your virility as Ginny phrased it. So, they imagine…"

"I do not want them imagining that!"

Her lips crinkled in a smile.

"You cannot stop them, Severus. It's what girls do."

"And you? Who did you imagine?"

She blushed, shaking her head a bit. 

"I didn't imagine anyone in bed, Severus, I was too engrossed with my studies to let my imagination run very far with those thoughts. I will not deny that Mr. Lockhart was appealing and Remus, of course."

"Of course?" he drawled.

"He was nice and attractive," she said.

"So all of them," he said, glancing at the student tables now, focusing on the older girls.

"Well, not all of them. Some are probably like me and just don't think about such things, but many, yes. You are the youngest wizard in the school and they know you are very likely the most powerful wizard they'll ever set eyes on, so of course."

"Merlin's balls. What in the hell am I supposed to do with that?"

"Nothing. You teach as you always have and let me worry about ensuring they realize you're a happily taken wizard whose witch is perfectly capable of keeping her husband satisfied."

He scoffed. "As if they could even hope to hold a candle to you."

"That is I believe the nicest thing I've ever heard you say, Severus," Minerva said.

"Yes, well, usually such things are reserved for my private quarters."

"Maybe they shouldn't be."

"If what my wife says is true, I hardly need to add fuel to the fire," he said, glancing at Hermione to see her smiling.

Have I said something wrong?

No.

Hermione?

You have said nothing wrong, Wizard.

But?

She shrugged, darting her eyes around the Great Hall.

But? he asked again.

There is no but, Severus. You have said nothing wrong.

Minerva patted his hand nearest her lightly as she stood, leaning toward him.

"Don't harass her, though I am fascinated by how your bond works so I would love to be privy to you two having an entire conversation with no one but me being the wiser. That being said, your wife probably considers it her duty to ensure they know," she whispered. "Your possessiveness for her only seems to be rivaled by hers for you. Fittingly so I suppose."

He regarded the older witch for a moment with a nod before turning his attention to his wife who was purposely ignoring him at the moment. She wasn't mad, he knew that. He'd seen her upset, this wasn't it. She just didn't want to talk about it. As she said, he'd said nothing wrong. Did it bother her that other witches thought of him in that way? He'd never done and would never do anything to encourage such thoughts. Surely she knew that.

"Where are you off to?" he asked her.

With Mses Weasley and Lovegood both done with their schooling, he had to admit Hermione was rather alone now. The other professors certainly welcomed her, but as he was the youngest professor on staff she was by far younger than all of them and while she got along with them he knew that it wasn't the same.

"My office," she said.

"All right," he said and stood. He leaned down, kissing her cheek. Her eyes shot up to meet his in surprise. Kissing her in the Great Hall was not common, however, something told him it was the right thing to do today.

"Would you like an escort?"

"I'd love one," she said with a slight nod of her head before setting her napkin on the table. He pulled her chair out for her and offered her his arm, which she took.

"How are we feeling today?" he asked as they walked through the halls.

A few students greeted them as they went, a few blushed and giggled, but most of them went on their way to and from class as if it was any other day. One thing Severus did differently than Albus, his presence was not uncommon in the halls. He sat in on classes here and there even. Things Albus never seemed to take a care to do. Then again when he'd been doing this job as long as Albus had, maybe he'd hide out in his office most of the time, too. He hoped not. He never wanted to lose the feeling of having his pulse on Hogwarts and those entrusted to its care. How else would he be able to keep abreast of the youth if he didn't engage with them?

"We are fine," she said.

"Good," he said. "I was thinking perhaps you'd like to have dinner with me later."

"I have dinner with you every evening," she said.

"Yes, but I was thinking out."

"Oh," she said, brightening at the thought. "Really?"

"Yes, if that works for you."

"Yes, of course."

"Thank you. I shall make arrangements then."

"Okay," she said as they arrived at her office.

He was aware that she was trying to work ahead so that she would not fall behind on her apprenticeship after having the baby. Ahead for Hermione was a bit different than what most people interpreted as being ahead so likely she was into next term already.

He sent his message off to London via owl before returning to his classroom for the afternoon, hoping there were no exploding cauldrons or mooning female students to make the day crawl by even slower. He'd never stopped to think that any of the students, male or female, would … admire him. That had never been an issue during his time at Hogwarts as a student or a teacher until now.

Did his being married and his wife being a younger witch really make him appealing? He couldn't fathom it, but he'd never claimed to understand the minds of witches (or anyone else for that matter). Was he supposed to be more personal with her? Ensure the young witches possibly fantasizing about him knew without a doubt he was more than happy and kept satisfied by his bonded mate.

Sadly, he had no couples really to base his actions off. His parents? No. The Malfoys? Possibly, but he didn't want to be fake either. Lucius loved Narcissa, but couldn't keep his cock in his pants. He had absolutely no desire to bed another witch ever. Well, he supposed if Hermione wanted to include another witch… Best not go there because that was never going to happen. She had never shown any inclination, and truthfully he wasn't sure he could share her even with another witch.

He observed the students for the rest of the day a little closer than he may have normally for any signs of what Hermione had said being true. He didn't see it, but then he wasn't a witch and he'd never been one to care about the opposite sex much to know what to look for in others' behavior.

She was waiting for him in their sitting room when he returned.

"You're late," she quipped. "Should I be concerned so soon?"

"You are most humorous, Wife, and you're not even ready."

"You didn't tell me where we were going."

"Ah," he said. "We're going to a wizarding restaurant after a stop at Mr. Potter's."

"Oh, okay," she said.

She went to change then into a dress that clearly showed off the fact she was with child. He had to admit he liked when she left her robes off because he liked that visible proof. He wasn't sure where that very primal urge came from, but he supposed it had something to do with what Hermione and Minerva were trying to tell him earlier about witches suddenly being fascinated by him. He wagered until now he was not only cruel and off putting but seen as a pretty asexual wizard as he'd never been seen with a witch on his arm.

They used the floo to get to Potter's once he had changed.

"Hey, Hermione," Ginny said. "Headmaster."

"Severus," he said. "I thought we'd gotten that out of the way in Nice."

"I guess we had. Habit," she said with a blush and a slight shrug.

"Indeed."

"So, I guess we're going to dinner then?"

"Yes," Severus said,

"With Harry and Ginny? Really?"

"Yes," he said. "Is that alright?"

"Of course," she said.

They made their way to a restaurant near Diagon Alley. He was a little unsure about this step, but they'd done well to avoid gossip pretty well to this point. It was beyond time for it to be known they were to become parents soon.

"Aren't you worried someone will see us," Hermione whispered as they walked. They'd somewhat purposely avoided the populated areas like Diagon Alley now that she was pretty obviously showing.

"No," he said simply. He shrugged. "Let them write what they want."

"Okay, it's just clear I'm pregnant now."

"As it should be given you're almost seven months along, Hermione. No one can claim our marriage is one of convenience or necessity. I'm not ashamed of becoming a father."

"I wasn't suggesting you were. I just know you like to keep things private."

"Am I going to walk up to the Prophet and give them an interview about the fact we're to become parents soon? No, nor do I feel we need to hide as if we have done anything wrong. Last I checked, populating the wizarding world is quite exactly what I should be doing with you."

Harry and Ginny coughed.

"You have something to say?" Severus asked, glancing at them.

"No, Severus, Sir," Harry said.

"Just wondering how much populating you plan on doing," Ginny said, waggling her eyebrows. "I mean, you two are the brightest of the bright. Can you imagine what your kids are going to be like?"

Harry scoffed lightly. "Their nose in a book from the time they can walk."

"Then again, whenever we get around to having kids, I suppose they'll be their competition at Hogwarts."

"Only if you're planning on starting very soon," Severus drawled. "And there is nothing wrong with studious children."

Harry and Ginny laughed, eyes dancing with amusement. Clearly, Severus had just said what they'd expected him to say.

"Of course not."

Severus slid an arm around Hermione then, drawing her closer to him so he could kiss the top of her head.

"I think your friends are making fun of us."

"I think you're right," she shrugged. "It would be nice if one of our kids went to school with someone they know."

"Chances are they will," Severus said. "Edward Lupin for one, who I believe Harry is godfather to so I can't imagine our children going without knowing him until Hogwarts."

"On the other hand," Ginny said. "Maybe we should be nice to them. We get to go out for dinner and the Prophet isn't going to report on every bite we take for a change."

Harry smirked, regarding Hermione and couldn't help but chuckle. "You're right. They are doing us a favor. It's not often my mastication habits take second place to a baby."

"I'm surprised you know the word mastication, Harry," Hermione quipped. "What memory bank did you pull that one out of?"

"Must be in there with the studying charts you wrote up for Ron and me."

"You know, I can change my mind about dinner," Severus said. "Or better yet, make you pay, Mr. Potter."

Hermione giggled then, settling her hand against Severus' forearm.

"We're teasing one another, honey. You can't totally blame them for looking forward to us taking the spotlight away from them for an evening."

"I suppose not," he said.

"Did she just call him honey?" Harry asked.

"I think she did," Ginny said. "And he didn't hex her, scowl, or anything."

"Okay, enough, or he will turn around and leave," Hermione said.

"That would be disappointing," Harry said. There was no sarcasm or insincerity in his tone. Hermione saw that Severus realized that, too.

"Then let's go," Severus said.



Dinner was relatively short as they all had things to wake up for in the morning, and Hermione had plenty of work to do before she had the baby. Thankfully, Severus understood her need and did not poke fun of or criticize her need to burn the candle at both ends.

As expected, they had been spotted at dinner the night before and the Prophet indeed featured an article about the baby soon to be joining the castle. The tables at breakfast were full of frantic whispers. Hermione thought even with her teaching robes it was rather obvious by now she was pregnant, but evidently there were some who until the Prophet reported it didn't know.

Severus was not surprised when he got an owl from Narcissa Malfoy later that morning as a result of the article. The wife of his long-time friend had apologized for her part in Hermione's experience at Malfoy Manor. He had accepted the woman's apology, but it was not his forgiveness the witch truly sought nor could he accept an apology for Hermione. Hermione, however, had to this point not been interested in hearing from Draco's mother. It was partially Hermione's testimony that resulted in Lucius' extended sentence in Azkaban. Severus truly thought it was rather miraculous she'd been willing to give Draco a chance (and vice versa).

"The ministry is abuzz, my boy," Albus' portrait reported.

Albus' statement was followed quickly by no fewer than five owls. No howlers that he could see at least.

"I can imagine," Severus replied dryly as he set the scrolls delivered by the owls aside. He was surprised when he felt warmth under his forearm. He paused, shifting through the papers, finding the notebook he had used during the months he and Hermione had been separated.

JUST IN CASE YOU NEED TO HEAR IT BEFORE YOU GET INUNDATED WITH OWLS AND OVERWHELMED, YOUR DAUGHTER, YOUR FUTURE SON, AND YOUR WIFE LOVE YOU, SEVERUS SNAPE. MY WIZARD AND PERSONAL HERO.

He raked his fingers through his hair as he regarded the note on the page.

His son.

His wife.

His daughter.

Things two years ago he would never have believed he'd have. Forget not having them, he wouldn't have believed he'd be here to have the opportunity to have those things.

Albus chuckled from his portrait.

AND YOUR WIZARD LOVES ALL OF YOU, MY SWEET.

"Any negative comments, Albus?"

"None I overheard that could be construed as threats, no," Albus said. "There were of course some digs aimed at you. The age gap, you know."

"Not Hermione?"

"No, were you expecting some aimed at her?"

He sighed with a huff, blowing his bangs out of his eyes. "I don't know, maybe. I hoped not, but you never know about things like this."

"Is that why you ensured Harry and Ginny were along?"

"Yes," he said. "I wanted it clear that her friends knew and accepted."

"That's all one can do, Severus. You're not going to change the minds overnight of those who have doubts or questions surrounding your marriage. All you can do is live your life and ensure that your devotion to the witch is obvious even one hundred years from now."

"Sometimes I wonder if hiding the soul marks …"

"That would lead to even more of a circus, Severus. It will die down. You and your family are in the perfect, the safest, place you can be. Hogwarts will protect all of you. I made sure the castle knew you would be as good a caregiver for her as I was. Hermione will get her double mastery in Transfiguration and Potions, and by then your marriage will be common knowledge and old news."

He nodded. Albus was right. Eventually it would die down. Surely Harry Potter would do something to bring attention to himself again, like marry Ginny Weasley.

More owls arrived, and Severus finally decided to direct all of his mail for the next little while to go to the headmaster's private meeting room. He could sort through it all later.

He glanced at his watch and realized Odette would be in Hermione's Transfiguration class shortly. He hadn't checked with her after breakfast to ensure she was alright and knew he should do that. He headed toward the classroom, thankful that him sitting in on classes was not a new thing.

Hermione knew Severus was at the door before he opened it due to their connection. He knew as soon as she became aware. It was a little unsettling at times, but he had to admit he was getting used to it. They both were, and actually most times found it comforting rather than invasive or a bother.

"Good morning, Headmaster," she said politely.

"Madam Snape," he nodded. "Class."

He took a chair at an empty spot toward the back of the classroom filled with third years.

"Hello Headmaster," the young Slytherin he chose the seat next to said. He nodded simply, holding a finger to his mouth and pointed to the front of the class. The boy quickly turned his attention back to Hermione not wanting to risk house points.

He stood as the class was finishing up, enjoying as he always did the tone of the classes his wife was in charge of. She was patient, kind, and empathetic to those who didn't get things immediately. That was, he could admit, his weak point. He never had a hard time grasping things so he found as he taught he had little patience for those who didn't. Hermione was like him in her ability to grasp most everything on her first try, but she had the ability to realize not everyone was like her. It would make her a good teacher if that was the path she chose to take.

He walked toward the front of the classroom slowly before finding her desk.

"Miss Snape," he said softly when Odette was close to them on her way out. "A moment, please."

"Yes, Headmaster," she said, detouring to where he stood. A few glanced from him to her and smirked..

"Is everything alright?" Hermione asked?

"Yes, I just realized after breakfast I hadn't checked with Odette regarding the article in the Prophet."

"Oh," Hermione said, that realization seemed to dawn on her, too. Odette had known about the baby, of course, but she hadn't known that it was going to be revealed so very publicly she was gaining a brother.

Odette shrugged. "I'm fine. I mean, I knew. I'm surprised it took them so long to find out."

"We've been pretty careful to avoid the gossip," Hermione admitted.

"I'll walk you to your next class," he said, realizing she would be late. "History of Magic, correct?"

"Yes," she said.

"See you both later," Hermione said as they left her classroom so she could get ready for the next class.

"I should have warned you an article may appear," Severus said softly once they were in the hall.

"It's all right, you can't control everything. No one's been mean or anything if that's what worries you."

"The thought had occurred to me. Children can be mean."

She touched the back of his hand with her fingers. "I know you having a baby doesn't mean you're going to change your mind about adopting me. Nothing anyone could say would make me think otherwise."

"That relieves me to no end," he said, taking and squeezing her hand gently, releasing it quickly. "I just realized, late I'm afraid, that I should have made sure you were okay. I apologize it took me so long to realize that you may not have been."

"It's okay. I can imagine you are busy."

"I'm never too busy for you, Odette."

"I know," she said.

"And I promise you I am trying to learn."

"I know that, too, Severus, thank you."

"Professor Binns," he said when they made it to her History of Magic class and entered the room. "Please excuse Miss Snape's tardiness. She was with me."

"Of course, Headmaster," the Professor said in his usual very bland tone.

He returned to his office then, checking in his meeting room for a moment to see the numbers of scrolls he'd been on the receiving end of so far. It wasn't too bad. He returned to his desk.

"Do I even bother reading them?" he asked Albus.

"Do you want to?"

"Not particularly."

"Then don't. It'd be one thing if there was something those missives could change, but you are already married, Hermione is already with child. Perhaps the three of you could have a fire later," the portrait said. "Your job description does not suggest you need to be berated for your personal life. Particularly when you've done nothing wrong."

Severus scoffed at that. "I've done plenty wrong, Albus. Need I remind you?"

"No, of course not. You've more than made up for your indiscretions, Severus. If Harry's parents could, they'd say the same thing."

"I believe you," he said.

"Everyone makes mistakes, Severus. You spent decades fulfilling your promise, and now. Well, the rest of your life is yours to make of it what you will. I'd say you're off to a good start. She loves you, Severus, if you were not worthy that would not be available to you."

"Thank you, Albus," he said with a nod.

"Anytime. I know my methods will be viewed as suspect. Were there things I could have done differently? Probably so, but I did the best I could with the knowledge I had."

"I'm aware," Severus said.

He still wasn't sure about basically leading Harry Potter to slaughter, but he believed the old wizard believed he'd done the best he could.

Return to Top

Part 39 | Part 41

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com