Chapter Thirty-Eight
June 1999

"I need you to do me a favor before we go tomorrow," she said.

"All right," he said curiously.

"We need about five hundred pounds and when we get to the end of the portkey we'll need five hundred American dollars both from 1985 so you'll want enough to be able to exchange that. I want to be sure that we have money that will work and, you know, not cause problems or questions."

"I'm sorry? You're telling me we need essentially one thousand pounds?"

"You'll understand when we get where I'm taking you. Please? I promise you will totally think it's worth it. In fact, I wager you'll think we underpaid. Just trust me?"

"You know I do. All right."

He sighed, clearly thinking on how he would accomplish that in 1985.

"I'll pay you back. I mean, I can give you the money now to put into your account today."

"Nonsense. That's not what I'm trying to figure out. All right. I'll be back shortly then," he said.

"Thank you."

He was trusting her. It was their anniversary and she wanted to give him the best gift ever. The idea had come to her when they'd talked about using the time turner he had to see Phantom of the Opera during opening week. Looking through his record collection with Odette one evening an idea had come to her and she was surprised he was willing to let her just plan a trip to the past. She took that to mean she'd done a good job Valentine's weekend with their muggle London trip.

He returned a few minutes later. She knew it had to have taken him longer in 1985 to accomplish what he'd done.

"Thank you," she said, giddy.

She was so excited she felt like bursting because she knew, absolutely knew, he would love their day.

"So why are we waking up at the break of dawn?"

"Because we have to apparate into someplace that I'm pretty sure has security all of the time. So, we're going to take our portkey to its destination, we're going to check into a hotel and then I'm going to have to investigate where to apparate in 1985. I have a general idea."

"And you can get us into this place without problem?"

"Yup, I visited a friend of my parents who I remembered had been there and asked them about it. While they were remembering why they were there I dipped into their mind to get the layout as they remember it. I'll visit the library and use their microfish machine to get some images for me to use for us to apparate to. It's a muggle machine that you can view newspapers, magazines, and so on from the past."

"All right. I'm not sure how time spent in a library is an anniversary gift, but I trust you," he said. He gave the money he'd collected to her and then they readied themselves for bed. "Remind me to give Draco some money when the weekend is over."

"You took money from Draco?"

"No, but I didn't have easy access to the equivalent of one thousand pounds in galleons in 1985, so I may have taken advantage of knowing where Draco's father stashed money at Malfoy Manor at that time."

"I doubt he missed it."

"Probably not, but I am still not a thief."

"No, but he's going to question why you're giving him one thousand pounds' worth of galleons."

He frowned slightly as if thinking on that. He nodded simply. "I'll come up with a way."

"I imagine he has a birthday or something. I mean, he was born not hatched, right?"

Severus smirked at that. "Indeed. His birthday is June 5. That would work perfectly."

"All right, now that you've figured that out, though I still say with everything his father put you through one thousand pounds is chump change. Let's go to bed."

The alarm went off bright and early. They showered together as they liked to do on weekends and got dressed in muggle clothes. She was surprised he had a pair of Trainers.

"Ready?" she asked, ensuring the money he'd gotten the day before was in her beaded bag.

"As I'll ever be. You know what it means that I trust you this much, don't you?"

"I do," she said.

Absolutely.

She'd wager there was no one else he trusted in the same way and it truly humbled her that she'd earned that claim.

"You'll do the time turner part when we need it once we're there and I know where we're going."

He'd taught her how to use it before the war ended. In the event she'd needed to know how to use it in the event Voldemort had won. She knew how, but as she had somewhere very specific in mind to be she wanted him to do it as he was far more comfortable using it than she was. She knew she could get back to 1985, she just wasn't confident she'd get them exactly where they needed to be.

"That is good."

They made their way to their house then after ensuring they had all that they'd need, including the other miscellaneous items she packed to set up as portkeys. There she activated the unregistered portkey that would take them to America.

"Where are we?" he asked.

"Philadelphia," she said, feeling she could tell him that without giving anything about her surprise away.

They walked around some, saw the Liberty Bell and found the Rocky statue. She wasn't sure if she was surprised or not that he knew who Rocky Balboa was. They briefly talked about but nixed the idea of visiting wizarding Philadelphia. Neither wanted to be seen here if they could avoid it.

They found a library that had a hotel not too far from it and they got a room. She stopped at a bank to exchange the necessary pounds into five hundred dollars in American money. She found what she needed as well as confirming the times for the event they were going to. She found him sleeping on the bed when she returned and wandlessly removed her clothes to join him.

"Mm, you're back," he murmured.

"I am."

"Do we need to go?"

"No, we are using a time turner so we can go whenever we want."

"Mm, I suppose you are correct, Mrs. Snape."

"I've been delegated to Mrs. Snape now?"

"Muggles don't call their wives Madam."

"Mm, yes, they'd think I'm a dominatrix or something if you did that."

"You are," he said with a soft chuckle. "Keeping me in complete suspense about our activities this weekend."

"I promise you will enjoy yourself."

They made love, napped, made love again, showered, and explored a bit more of Philadelphia before having dinner and heading back to their room. They made love and napped again when Hermione thought it was late enough for them to get in where they needed to go without incident.

"Ready then, Mr. Snape?"

"As I'll ever be."

They gathered their belongings since they wouldn't return to the room. (He'd balked at the relatively low cost of the hotel until she'd pointed out they wouldn't actually be spending the night there.)

She closed her eyes, concentrating on the map of not just the area but the building she wanted to get them to and apparated them into what was currently the arena where various Philadelphia sports teams played. She was impressed she'd gotten them to a mechanical room as she'd wanted since she only had a library's map to go by the location of the room.

They disillusioned themselves in case their arrival alerted security staff somewhere.

"I'd ask where we are, but I suspect this isn't where we're actually going?"

"You'd suspect correct. They play sports here," she said with a shrug.

"Okay, where to then?"

"July 13, 1985, four o'clock in the morning. I think that should be early enough."

They arrived and again disillusioned themselves immediately. They were no longer in a mechanical room, but she was prepared for that and knew where one was based on old blueprints she'd found in the library.

"This still tells me nothing."

"I'm not telling! Patience is a virtue, Husband."

She waited until she was sure the gates had opened allowing spectators in. Ensuring their disillusionments were still holding strong they made their way toward the crowd before dropping the spell.

"I find it difficult to imagine why you'd think me being amongst this many people would be remotely enjoyable, Hermione."

"I find it difficult to imagine that you don't think I would bring you here if I didn't think it would be worth it."

He sighed. "Very well, Wife."

He was quite the sourpuss during Joan Baez, but brightened a bit at The Hooters and The Four Tops, but got a little petulant again during Billy Ocean. As they gave way, though, to acts like Black Sabbath, Crosby Stills & Nash, Judas Priest, The Beach Boys, George Thorogood, Santana, Tom Petty, and so on including The Cars, Phil Collins and Robert Plant, ending with Bob Dylan. Well, his sourpussness gave way to incredulousness. She knew acts like Madonna likely wouldn't appeal to him, but this was only part of their day.

They made sure their American money was put where it needed to be, though he had no idea what they were contributing to as of yet. She didn't want to tell him. He didn't recognize the concert for what it was, but if she told him the name he may remember it.

They got back to the mechanical room and she took a muggle pizza box out of her bag. She cast the appropriate spells on it, which he scowled at since as headmaster he wasn't supposed to know about unauthorized portkeys let alone partake in their usage.

"I will admit despite my doubts it was enjoyable," he said after quite a while of being quiet to the point she wondered if she'd overestimated this being a cool thing for him.

"I'm glad."

The portkey got them a little away from their final destination. It was late. Or early she supposed, and she assumed they'd be safe apparating in at this time of day.

"Back to London?" he asked, taking in their surroundings.

"Yes. Are you ready for more?"

"As you wish, Wife."

He took hold of her arm and she closed her eyes to focus on the public bathroom she remembered using the few concerts her mom had taken her to so she could apparate them into it.

"It worked," she said once they'd arrived.

They disillusioned themselves in case their arrival and subsequent movement in the building set off any alarms. He looked around as if it'd give him a clue where they were currently and where they were heading.

"It really is a public restroom," he drawled.

"Yes, I told you it was."

"I thought you were joking."

"No, it was the only thing I knew of being able to picture for sure."

"And if we'd landed in a toilet because they'd remodeled since you were last here?"

"Then we'd go clean up somewhere and come back."

They left the bathroom and found a room that looked like an electrical or maintenance type room on the ground floor (something she was reasonably sure would not have moved or changed since 1985) and moved to a far corner. 

He shook his head as he sat on the floor and she joined him, sitting on his lap. He'd never used the time turner with another person before today and wasn't sure how close she'd have to be. Of course, any excuse for her to seat herself on his lap was welcome.

"All right. So, now where to, Madam Snape?"

"Back to July 13, 1985, let's do two o'clock in the morning. We can nap a bit longer then," she said, checking her beaded bag to ensure she still had snacks and everything they'd need to hide out for a few hours before they could join the crowd. It was going to be a very long day for both of them by the time they were done. She really, really hoped he thought it was worth it by the end of it.

"Okay," he said, sounding very much as if he thought this was going to be the biggest waste of his time. She had to admit the Philadelphia portion of the event was probably the least impressive of the two locations. Not that it was anything to snub their noses at, but she understood why he might have been left feeling a little underwhelmed.

He took the time turner out of his pocket then.

"All right," he said. "Here we go."

A time check revealed it was in fact two in the morning when they arrived.

"Still aren't going to tell me why we're going back to the same time only in London this time?"

"Nope, but I promise you're going to want to leave a whole necklace of love bites on my neck and go down on me for hours when we're done."

"I usually want to do both of those things anyway."

She giggled softly, kissing him. "Trust me," she said.

They napped for a few hours but soon enough they joined the crowds as they had in Philadelphia, staying disillusioned until they got to a good spot where no one would notice two people suddenly appearing.

"I swear this is more people than I think I've ever seen in my life," he whispered.

"I'm sorry, that part I can't change, here or Philadelphia."

"You still sure about that going down on you for hours thing now?"

"Oh, yes," she said. "In fact, I'll bet you."

"Oh?"

He sounded more than a little intrigued now.

"Yes."

He was clearly amused, but evidently realized if she was willing to put any sort of wager on it it must be something worth the second set of crowds.

"I'll grade your potions essays for the rest of the year," she said.

He stared for a moment. Granted it was only a matter of weeks before the school year ended, but her plate was already full with everything she was doing without his more advanced Potions classes essays.

"And the other is unlimited love bites and oral pleasuring?"

"That seems fair? I mean, I'd offer to go down on you for hours on end, but you'd have me stop about thirty minutes in and have your wicked way with me anyway. So that doesn't seem like a fair trade."

"All right, Mrs. Snape," he said. "You're on."

Her eyes glimmered with pleasure she was sure because she knew there was no way she was losing this bet.

He was pretty impressed when The Boomtown Rats and Adam Ant came on. He wasn't as impressed with INXS or the next few bands, but Elvis Costello caught his fancy as did Nik Krenshaw, Phil Collins, Julian Lennon, Sting, and Bryan Ferry.

Where in the hell are we? he asked. The ability to communicate this way was great for a crowded, noisy place like this.

Afraid of losing your bet? Because we haven't even gotten to the good part yet, honey. There was a reason we went to Philadelphia first.

He lifted a brow. She'd never called him honey. Did it bother him?

No, just curious where we are.

It's called Live Aid.

He shook his head, clearly never having heard of it.

Just enjoy the show, baby.

The highlights of the day for him were U2, Queen, David Bowie, The Who, and Elton John.

You win.

This was communicated to her even before David Bowie had started his set. She smirked, setting her head on his shoulder as they let themselves get immersed not just in the music but the excitement of the crowd. They were a part of history now. Twice over. Nothing changed, no one didn't get a ticket because they were here, and they ensured the 500 dollars and 500 pounds got put toward the cause.

It was hours later when they found their way back to the electrical room they'd hidden in to get here.

"That was, Hermione, I just saw David Bowie and Adam Ant and The Who. I mean, Jagger and the others in Philadelphia were impressive, don't get me wrong. I know I gave the impression I didn't enjoy myself when I did despite the crowds. But David fucking Bowie, Hermione," he said. "Just how many love bites and hours of oral attention do you want for that? I think you undersold my debt."

She giggled, wrapping her arms around him. "Once the students leave until they come back I want one visible as often as you can."

"And what of Odette?"

"We're having a baby, Severus, I think she knows we have sex."

He laughed at that.

"I suppose you're right."

"Are you ready to go back?" she whispered.

"Merlin, Hermione, I don't even. How did you think of that?"

"Going through your albums the other weekend with Odette. It got me thinking that it'd be fun to take you to a Bowie or Who concert. And then I remembered this event and I've been to Wembley with Mom so I knew I could get us there. Like I said, one of Mom and Dad's friends had been to the stadium in Philadelphia for a Rolling Stones concert back in the early eighties. Their, um, oh," she stammered. "The album with Start Me Up on it?"

"Tattoo You," he said simply.

"Yes! So I knew I could get some information on how it was set up. I did obliviate my visit to him. I thought it would be prudent or he'd wonder about my parents and lead to other questions I can't answer."

"You did Outstanding, my witch. How much of a hurry are you to get back?"

"Why?"

"Well, all that music put me in a mood…"

"Oh," she said, removing her shorts and loosening his pants enough that she could take him into her.

"Obviously it put you in a mood, too," he quipped as she rode him.

"Shh," she whispered, claiming his mouth with hers. His hands gripped her ass as he helped her move over him before reaching around with one hand to find her clit. "Happy Anniversary, baby," she whispered as his thumb grazed her clit in exactly the right way.

He wasn't too far behind her. Her shorts and his jeans back in their proper place, he used the time turner to get them back where they came from.

"My gift rather pales in comparison."

"It's not about gifts, Severus. I got to share that with you. Do you know how happy that makes me? To see that look on your face? I'd give anything to put that there for real back then."

"I know, and that's why I love you. Your gift, however, is a top to bottom restoration of our home. Both of them, actually."

"Oh?"

"Yes. We're meeting the decorator," he said with a roll of his eyes, "next weekend. Whatever you want. We'll start with your home and get to Spinner's End eventually."

"Well, that's certainly more than a thousand pounds," she said.

"Well, we'll likely be living there for a very long time and obviously we'll have at least three children in the home. I know we both mentioned not wanting this one to be an only child."

"True," she said.

"Not that there's anything wrong with it now, and you don't have to change everything."

"I get it. You're fine. I'm not mad."

"Good. I was hoping you didn't think I was trying to take away your parents' memory or something."

"No, you're right. There are things about the house I love, but there are things that should be updated and made ours."

"Well, you and Odette can have fun with that. Make it our home."

"Did you tell Hogwarts to take the nursery back?"

"No, it's there, you just can't see the door until you're ready to."

"You do?"

"Yes," he said. "When you're ready to see it and to know the gender it will be revealed to you again."

"Huh," she said.

"Speaking of, don't you think it's time you told Messrs Potter and Weasley. Kingsley obviously already knows and if one person knows…"

"I know, it's harder to keep it a secret. Yes, I'll tell them."

"Thank you. Now, let's get home, shall we?"

"Yes," she said. "I hope you can explain to everyone why you have a big smile on your face today."

"I'll just tell them that my wife gave me the best shag of my life."

"You mean I haven't already done that?"

"Only every day."

"I'd give the same answer," she said, kissing him.

They disillusioned themselves as they made their way to the street and then made their way to Diagon Alley where they could connect to the floo network and get home that way. Hermione had checked with her MediWitch about apparating while pregnant and while it wasn't something she recommended doing frequently, she thought a couple of times was okay as she seemed to be far enough along at this point. Clearly witches apparated before realizing they were pregnant at all, so it had to be okay to some degree.

"You two look in particularly good spirits considering the time."

"A very good night and day, Albus," Severus said to the former Headmaster's painting.

"How are you feeling, Madam Snape?"

"Very well, Professor, thank you."

"Happy Anniversary. Time goes by a little differently when you're a painting, but Severus mentioned it was approaching. I assume that's where you were?"

"You would assume correctly and now we're going to bed to finish celebrating."

It wasn't just Professor Dumbledore's portrait that laughed at that comment.

"Oh to be young again," Armando Dippet said.

"Oh to have a young wife again," another said, who Hermione did not know. She followed Severus to the door that led to their quarters.

"I wonder how many children they'll have before they're done," Phineas Black said.

"She's already with child, isn't she? What do they need to rush off to bed for," Dilys Derwent commented followed by more laughter as they closed the door behind them.

"Damned portraits."

"Are they interested because Professor Dumbledore was not married, do you think?"

"Probably."

"Well, I do enjoy keeping them on their toes," she said.

"I know Headmistress Derwent has not appreciated our activities in the Headmaster's office," he said with a chuckle.

"Prude," she said. "She's the only one?"

"She hasn't said anything to me directly, but yes."

"Tell her it's the twenty-first century, witches can enjoy sex for sex's sake."

"I think I will refrain from such a conversation with her, thank you very much."

"You're no fun."

"Oh, my wife, I assure you I can be very fun with the right incentive."

"Have I given you enough of an incentive?"

"Yes, I must properly thank you for such an amazing gift."

"Are we going to miss breakfast?"

"Breakfast? We'll be lucky if we make it to dinner, Hermione."

"That is my kind of thank you," she said. "It's a good thing I told Minerva we could be gone into tomorrow then.

Return to Top

Part 37 | Part 39

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com