Chapter Thirty-Seven
May 1999

Kingsley had evidently taken Severus' criticism of a celebration honoring the final battle to heart. There was a tastefully done memorial service at Hogwarts spanning Saturday and Sunday. People were able to come and go as they wished, family members were given the times their loved ones would be honoured. It had gone quite well and everyone seemed pleased with the tastefulness of the remembrance weekend.

There was still a ball the weekend following the first anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts, though. Rumor was several of them were to be given an Order of Merlin and representing Hogwarts they sort of had to go. Odette was beyond excited as she'd never had occasion to wear truly formal dress robes before now.

Hermione was close to finishing her first trimester now and was feeling ready to tell people. People being Harry and Ron, of course. She had no one else really to share her news with. Once they knew, and Ginny and Luna, then well it would be fair game to tell anyone. She was feeling pretty good, thankfully. It helped to have a potions master as her husband, though she was careful to take even potions only when absolutely necessary.

She was wearing one of the dresses Severus had given her for Christmas from her shopping trip with Draco. She wondered if he'd be there tonight, and whether Pansy would be his date. That thought made her frown.

"What's wrong, my sweet?" Severus asked.

"Just thinking about Draco."

"And that made you frown? I thought you'd gotten along when you've had reason to see him."

"Oh we have. I was wondering if he was going to be there and if Pansy was going to be his date."

"Ah, yes, I can see where the frown comes into play now. I do not believe she will be accompanying him."

"Good," she said, clearly relieved. Severus liked Draco and was his godfather so clearly they'd talk during the ball. She could do without having to interact with Pansy, though.

"I do have something for you that may improve your mood."

"You don't have to give me anything, Severus. I'll be fine."

"I know. However, I wanted to. I surmised which gown you'd be wearing tonight and, well, these come from the Prince vault. So I'm simply giving them to you as they should be in your possession as you are their rightful owner."

She gasped as he opened the jewelry box to reveal an exquisite diamond necklace and dangly diamond earrings that matched. She had her hair up, but they both knew that may not last so he'd chosen well.

"Severus," she said, fingers sliding along the earrings and the chain that held the diamond pendant. "It's beautiful."

"May I put it on you?"

"Of course," she said, turning her back to him so he could do exactly that.

"It's going to draw attention to my scar," she said, noticing the pendant fell at just the right length for that to be an issue.

"As if I care," he said. "In fact, I'd planned on going sans cravat this evening."

"Really," she said, turning to face him and grazed Nagini's scar with a finger.

"Yes, well, you didn't want to wear gloves," he said, running his thumb over the scar on her forearm courtesy of Bellatrix. "So, I figured united front, right?"

She understood what a big deal that was to him. She was not ashamed of her arm nor was he of his neck, however, she was aware he was far more self-conscious of the scarring on his neck than she was of hers on her arm. Because of her. He felt people would wonder how she could be with him. Love him. As if anyone who truly mattered to her didn't understand scars meant nothing to her beyond encompassing all of the man who was her wizard.

She walked to the mirror then to look at her reflection once she slid the earrings into place.

"Are you really giving these to me?"

"Who else would I give them to? They're sitting in a Gringotts vault, collecting dust. Surely they deserve to be worn. My mother would approve if that's what you're thinking."

"I guess. I would think a daughter…"

"Well, one day mayhaps, but for now they belong to Madam Snape as they should."

"Thank you," she said, stepping away from the mirror to kiss him. "Is Odette ready?"

"She is in the sitting room, waiting patiently. I found a pearl necklace for her, too, just so you are aware. Oh, and she has noticed the additional door Hogwarts has provided in addition to her room."

"Oh?"

"Yes. She has not gone in yet, but seems to understand what it's for."

"I told her about the first nursery, showed her his baby blanket. So I'm sure she does. I wonder if she hopes for a boy or a girl," Hermione said.

"And you haven't asked Poppy yet?"

"No," she said. "I closed my eyes when she did the diagnostics."

"Hmm, so I'm supposed to spend the next six months pretending I don't know."

"Let me tell Harry and Ron and then you can tell me."

"Do you have an idea?"

"Well, I have two," she said with a smile.

"Cheeky witch."

"I don't have an idea, but since the first one was a boy I'd like a boy I think."

He nodded simply, his face betraying nothing. He was good at that when he wanted to be and this was clearly one time he was catering to her wishes and not going to reveal the gender until she was ready to know.

Ginny, Luna, and Odette were the only Hogwarts students going to the ball tonight. They were quite the topic of conversation earlier over lunch from the glimpses of conversations Hermione had overheard.

The three of them were going to meet the others at the Ministry. Severus had gotten permission from Kingsley to use the floo to his office for the evening. Severus didn't want her apparating any more than necessary.

"There you are, Headmaster," Kingsley said when they arrived. "I was beginning to think you were going to stand us up after all."

"I'd never do that," Severus said, but his tone implied he'd thought about it more than a little bit and Kingsley knew he had, too.

"Madam Snape, Miss Snape, lovely to see you both as well."

"Thank you for letting us use your floo, Kingsley," Hermione said.

"My pleasure. Should we be expecting an announcement soon?"

Hermione shook her head slightly. Of course he'd know why they'd requested it.

"I need to tell Harry and Ron first. And Draco, I suppose," she said, realizing Draco was the closest thing Severus had as far as family went really.

"Well, my lips are sealed, but congratulations," he said, taking her hand and kissing it politely.

"Thank you," Hermione said.

"The password to get back into my office when you're ready to return is ‘gillyweed'. That way if you can't find me you don't have to deal with the crowds."

"Thank you," Severus said with a nod.

"There you are," Ginny called when she saw them. "We were beginning to think you apparated to the wrong place or something."

"No, I needed the Headmaster for a moment," Kingsley offered without hesitation.

"Oh, right," Ginny said.

The four witches, including Odette, gathered around to talk about dresses, hair, and makeup. Well, Hermione listened while the other three talked. Hermione was lucky she got her hair to look remotely decent. Severus did not like it when she used Sleekeasy so she avoided it. He seldom made requests of her to do or not do things, so she figured she could leave her hair the way he seemed to prefer it.

The talking part of the night went on forever. Hermione couldn't complain, there were many names read off that she hadn't realized what had happened to them. It was good for her, for everyone, to remember.

They knew several recipients of Orders of Merlin, Third Class. The DA members all got Orders of Merlin, Second Class. Members of the Order of the Phoenix, including Severus, as well as Harry, Ronald, and Hermione got Orders of Merlin, First Class. Hermione believed Neville should have gotten a First Class as well, but it wasn't her decision to make. He'd rid them of the final horcrux, though. Well, besides Harry. If Nagini had lived well who knew what might have happened.

Draco was, in fact, there without Pansy Parkinson on his arm. Hermione did not know the girl who did accompany him and evidently neither did Severus. She was from Durmstrang apparently, which Severus assured her was not alarming in and of itself. Just like Viktor Krum was not a follower of the Dark Lord. Darker did not always mean evil.

She knew that, of course. There were books in Severus' collection that he had told her under no circumstances was she to attempt to touch. He may not be tempted to follow someone like Voldemort again, but the interest in dark magic was still alive and well in her wizard. His opinion was that someone had to keep abreast to fight the next evil maniac who tried to come into power. Draco was hard to read even if they were getting along decently for now, though.

She and Severus danced the first couple of slow songs and then she sat down and he gave Odette the next couple of dances.

"We need to do a night at your house again," Ginny said. "I feel like the only time I actually spend time with all of you is at things like this."

"Yes! We should," Luna offered. "We'll help so that you don't have to do all the work yourself."

"Well, I know Severus and I were going to ask you if you wanted to join us in July when we visited my family home near Nice."

"As in France?" Ginny squealed, obviously excited at the idea.

"Yes. We haven't picked dates yet, but I figured we could celebrate Harry's birthday in the Riviera," she said with a shrug.

"Oh, that'd be so fun! Are you guys sure? Maybe you two want some time in the Riviera yourselves."

"We're sure. Odette would be with us, too, obviously."

"You know Mom would take her for a night or two if you two ever wanted to get away."

"I do, and I appreciate that, but it'll be the first time truly living together so I think we want to take that time to figure out how it all works. We don't want her to think she's an inconvenience either, which she's not."

"Is she going to stay in Slytherin house next year?" Ginny asked.

"Yes. Severus recommended she do that, and she wants to."

"Good. Yeah, that'd be a little weird I think," Luna offered.

"Right, but over the summer she'll be with us."

"At your house, right?" Luna asked, as if she already knew the answer.

"Yes. He's keeping his home but it's more from a safety perspective than anything."

"I can't say as I blame him," Ginny said.

Everyone knew there had been reliable and credible threats against Severus from Death Eaters and Snatchers. Forget his spy work, he'd spent the last year testifying against a number of them. Having a home that no one knew about was smart on his part.

"Anyway, I'll let you know as soon as we figure out dates."

"Well, my calendar is completely open," Ginny said.

"Same," Luna said.

"Great."

Severus and Odette returned and Severus offered Hermione his hand so that they could go and mingle. It had to be done, but she was not looking forward to it. She noticed as they walked from the table that George Weasley had taken over as Odette's dance partner.

"How sweet is that?" she whispered to Severus.

"What?" he asked, clearly oblivious.

"George asked Odette to dance."

"Oh, yes, I noticed they seem to get along. I know he and the youngest Weasley son have met with her a few times at Hogwarts much to my dismay."

"Yes, whatever item they're working on her with."

"As long as Hogwarts doesn't explode or anything," he said with a soft sigh of acceptance of the fact Weasley would get a practical joke into Hogwarts until the end of time.

"Well, you do clean up nicely, Granger," Draco said when they found him.

"It's Snape," she said, "but thank you."

"Like I said, you'll always be Granger to me."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"This is Gretchen Helvig," he said.

"Miss Helvig," Severus said, taking her hand properly.

"Headmaster Snape, an honor to meet you," she replied, curtseying appropriately.

"My wife, Hermione Snape."

"Madam Snape," she said with a nod of her head. "You didn't tell me you were friends with them," she said. She'd apparently been trying to whisper but she'd spoken a little too loud.

"Draco and I were classmates," Hermione offered.

"And as a result of being old friends with Draco's parents he is my godson," Severus said.

"Oh, I see."

"I recognize that dress, Snape," Draco said.

"I'd hope so since you were with me when I tried it on," Hermione said.

"It looks better tonight than in the store," he said, taking her in.

"Thank you," she said, bowing her head slightly in acknowledgement of his compliment. From Draco it was a compliment.

Others amongst Hermione's friends joined them, meeting his date and catching up with Draco. Overall it was pretty fun, even the mixing and mingling with Ministry officials that Severus brought her along with him to see. She knew it was so he didn't get stuck in overlong conversations with someone he'd taught once and thought then and now was a dunderhead.

Odette did not accompany them for these conversations and she didn't seem to mind in the least. She seemed to alternate between conspiracy type conversations with George and Ron to interacting with Luna and Ginny. Hermione was happy to see Severus looked almost as often as she did to ensure the girl was all right.

They'd stayed longer than Severus believed necessary given the Orders of Merlin they received and his position as Headmaster of Hogwarts. So, eventually the three of them made their way up to Kingsley's office, giving the password that would let them in so they could floo back to Severus' office.

"I'll see Odette to Slytherin house," Severus said once they were in his office.

"Okay. Did you have fun Odette?"

"I did!"

"Good."

"Do I really get to keep the dress?"

"Of course, it's yours," Hermione said. She hugged the girl and gave her a kiss to the forehead. "Sleep well. Maybe you'll dream about dancing like Cinderella."

"I'll be right back."

"I'll be waiting."

"I'm counting on it," he said with a wink before escorting Odette from the office.

The halls were empty on their way. Miss Weasley and Miss Lovegood would be back tomorrow. He assumed they were all staying at the Burrow or possibly, he supposed, Grimmauld Place for the night.

"Thank you for taking me."

"You don't have to thank me, you are my family now, Odette, but you're welcome."

"Oh, but I do."

"Odette, I know this is new to all of us, but you are now our daughter. Of course we're going to bring you. Proudly I may add."

"Well, still, thank you."

"You're welcome. You did have fun? That wasn't a lie so Hermione would feel better?"

"No, it was. I've never been to anything like that. My parents had balls, but I was younger and was never welcome after dinner."

"Oh, yes," he said with a nod of his head in understanding. Draco had similar experiences. "You know, I have a home. My mother's childhood home actually. Hermione and I have yet to visit. I believe there's a ballroom there."

"Really?"

"Yes, so perhaps you'd like to come with us when we get to the point of exploring."

"Oh, yes. Does that mean we'd live there outside of Hogwarts?"

"I'm not sure. I've never seen it. It's a long story, but it's a possibility. As is Hermione's home."

"Oh, I love her house."

Severus smiled a bit at that. "I gathered as much."

"Do you?"

"It's a nice house as houses go," he said with a shrug. "One day I'll show you my home and you'll learn about my childhood, but it's too much for tonight. I know she has fond memories of her childhood in that home. And for now, wherever Madam and Miss Snape are happiest is more than suitable to me."

"Okay," she said.

She said the password to get into the Slytherin common room, giving him a hug.

"Good night, Odette," he said. "You looked pretty tonight, by the way."

"Thank you," she said, blushing before dashing inside.

"Back so soon, Headmaster," Septima Vector called to him as he approached her in the hall enroute to his rooms.

"Yes," he said. "Just escorting Miss Snape to her room."

"She went with you? How lovely."

"I think she had a nice time, yes," he said.

"And your wife?"

"She did as well, but is expecting me to return."

Septima smiled knowingly and Severus felt himself blush a bit.

"Have a pleasant evening then, Headmaster."

"You, too," he said, nodding as he continued toward his rooms.

"Odette got back safely?"

"She did," he replied as he slid out of his dress robes. He went to the bathroom to ready himself for bed before removing the rest of his clothing and joining her. He shifted on the bed, drawing the covers away from her. "What color do we have tonight?" he asked. "Green. Is that for me, Wife?"

"It is, my Slytherin husband."

"My, that is Outstanding," he said, shifting the bedding so he could uncover her and slide between her legs as he wanted to do. Tomorrow being a Sunday and them returning hours earlier than he'd assumed they would, he wanted to see just how many times he could bring her off before he made love to her.

Return to Top

Part 36 | Part 38

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com