Chapter Twenty-Eight
November 1998

"And I'm going shopping with Draco Malfoy why?" Hermione asked.

"Because we have a Ministry dinner and I'd like him to assist you in the proper attire."

"You don't trust me?"

"It's not that I don't trust you. It's that I don't have time to accompany you and Draco understands what I expect."

"Expect?"

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. He knew this wasn't going to go over well.

"Hermione, you are my wife. I am the Headmaster of Hogwarts. There are certain … expectations, especially considering there hasn't been a Headmaster's wife in a very many years. Not to mention there are still some who doubt I should have retained my position."

"Okay."

"I'd ask Narcissa to accompany you, but she would dress you as she would dress and that's not what I want. I also understand you would not want her to accompany you. I want you to dress as you would, but I want it to be becoming of who not only you are but I am."

"And Draco knows?"

"I could ask Pansy Parkinson if you'd prefer."

"No, I'll take Draco," she said quickly and he chuckled.

"I'm not asking him to dress you, merely let you know if something you show a preference for is not appropriate for the company we will be in. This is the Ministry, Hermione. There are certain expectations."

"I get it."

"Thank you."

"Why can't Ginny take me?"

He arched a brow at the question.

"Not a completely unreasonable idea, but no. No offense to the Weasleys but they are not who I'd take guidance from in this. Another dinner, say the Order Christmas party, Miss Weasley can dress you however she sees fit."

"Really?"

"Really," he said.

"So, I go with Draco and pick out some boring matronly gown for this Ministry dinner that would impress even Queen Victoria and I can wear whatever I want to the Order Christmas party?"

He nodded, wondering briefly what exactly he was getting himself into. It was the Order Christmas party, however, not the British Parliament.

"Yes."

"Okay," she said and somehow he suspected she'd gotten exactly what she wanted without him realizing he'd fallen right into her trap.

Witches!

"Where am I meeting him?"

"I thought The Leaky Cauldron would be appropriate."

He handed her a velvet pouch that clinked when it shifted from his hand to hers.

"That should allow you to purchase whatever you need."

"Severus," she said, opening the pouch and looking inside. "It's too much."

"You are worth every galleon, Hermione."

"So are you," she said, leaning in to kiss him. "So, I'm excused from dinner?"

"I was actually planning on joining the two of you."

"Really? Like a date?"

"One where my godson is with us and you're already my wife, but yes, like a date."

"I'm a lucky witch then."

"Draco is aware of where and when we'll be meeting."

"He is, huh."

"Allow me to surprise my bride, please?"

"Sure, I can do that," she said.

He watched as she changed into something appropriate for trying multiple things on. She topped that off with her outerwear. He walked with her from their quarters.

"Hello, Madam Snape. Headmaster," Odette Milward said as they passed her on their way to the main entrance.

"Miss Milward," Hermione said, offering the girl a smile. "How are you today?"

"Fine," she said. "You?"

"We're doing well. The headmaster is walking me to the gate so I can apparate to Diagon Alley."

Severus had been right. The girl had been rather cold at first, but as Hermione proved herself in classes with her knowledge and her fairness to Slytherins and the other houses alike she'd warmed toward her.

Her eyes darted between the two Snapes, looking somewhat concerned and Hermione wondered where that look was coming from. "You're going out?"

"I am for a little while."

"Oh," she said, looking disappointed.

"Did you need something?"

"No," she said, but Hermione was not convinced her answer was truthful.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"It can wait."

"It will be quite late when I get back tonight. Can it keep until tomorrow?"

"Uh huh," she said.

"Can the headmaster help you?"

Her eyes grew wide at that, a panicked look on her face. Severus stiffened a little, so he saw it, too. Hermione knew the girl liked Severus, so whatever it was she needed was evidently something she didn't want to share with him.

"Perhaps your head of house?"

She shook her head.

"How about after breakfast tomorrow? Will that work?"

"Yes, Madam Snape."

"I'll look for you. Come to the head table and get me whenever you're done, okay?"

"Okay," she said, turning and running off.

Severus offered Hermione his arm, escorting her outside.

"Any idea what that's about?" Hermione asked once they were out of earshot of anyone else.

"None," he said. "Truthfully, she hasn't even been on my radar. No performance issues that I've been made aware of at all."

"Tell me about her."

"I don't know much. She's actually related to Slughorn somehow. As you can imagine last year I was not privy to gossip or idle chat amongst the staff so I'm afraid I'm somewhat lacking in knowledge about the second years."

"Were the Milward's sympathetic to Voldemort?"

"Not that I'm aware of. Their names never came up that I was privy to. There were many, though, who supported, as well as those who opposed, who managed to remain outwardly neutral. Obviously Slughorn wasn't."

"Right," she said.

Once at the gates he drew her to him for a kiss.

"Please play nice with Draco."

"Yes, Sir," she said, a gleam in her eye.

"I think he was appreciative that I asked him to do this for me."

"Well I can't argue he is fashionable."

"I'll see you for dinner then."

"And I'm dressed appropriately for dinner?"

"I would have told you if you weren't, but yes."

"Thank you." She stood up on her tiptoes and kissed him again. "I love you."

"Love you, too, Witch."

She apparated to Diagon Alley and made it to The Leaky Cauldron. Draco was already there, waiting at the bar. She took a moment to take her former foe in. He hadn't changed much, but did look healthier than the last time she'd seen him. He still had a lot of pressure on his shoulders she knew. His father was in Azkaban so he was left trying to do what he could to clean the tarnish off the Malfoy name.

"Hello, Draco."

"Madam Snape," he drawled with a hint of a smile, eyes roving over her. He wasn't nearly as good at smirking as her husband. He should copyright his smirk and get royalties off it.

"Hermione is fine, but you already knew that."

"Indeed. I just wondered how you'd react."

"It is my name and I have no qualms in answering to it."

"You know, if I'd known you liked snakes, Granger…"

"Don't be crude, Draco."

He rolled his eyes, lifting both hands up in a shrug. "I am who I am."

"I got a lecture about playing nice with you. Did you not get the same one?"

"I did, but Godfather is not here, is he?"

"No."

"Would you like something to drink before we head out?"

"No," she said.

"All right," he said. "So, Godfather says this is a formal dinner party."

"That's my understanding, yes. Are there many of these?"

"I wouldn't know. I mean, Father and Mother had some functions to attend, but I never paid attention to which functions were for what entities."

"I don't remember Professor Dumbledore going."

"How much did we truly know about what he did?"

"I suppose you're right," she said.

She grew quiet then, not certain what else to say to Draco. How's your father seemed tactless. How's your mother was not a question she wanted to hear the answer to. Hermione was trying not to hold a grudge, but it still bothered her that Narcissa Malfoy got off with basically a slap on the wrist because she wasn't officially a Death Eater. Yes, she had to surrender her wand for a while, but Hermione had permanent scars on her body and horrible dreams as a result of her time at Narcissa Malfoy's home.

He didn't seem to know what to say either. They weren't friends, though she did have to admit she was somewhat curious what he was doing with himself these days.

"We're not going to Madam Malkin's?" She only asked as they were going in the wrong direction. She'd just assumed.

Draco scoffed. "No, for what you'll need Twilfitt and Tatting's."

"Oh," Hermione said.

Draco was obviously well known in the shoppe and as soon as Hermione's last name was dropped they had more attention than she'd ever had while shopping in her life. She tried on gown after gown, Draco telling her either no or allowing her to set it aside. By the end she had five to choose from.

"How much did your husband give you?"

"I didn't count it, Draco, but there's plenty."

"Well, something tells me this won't be your only dinner or event, especially with the holidays coming up. Maybe we can pick the best two out of these remaining choices?"

She nibbled on her lower lip. The five that were left were each beautiful. Elegant and very much unlike anything Hermione had ever had need of before this. She understood now why Severus preferred Draco accompany her on this errand over Ginny. This was commonplace for the Malfoys where despite her pureblood status, Ginny probably wouldn't have known much more than Hermione.

"Like he's going to get mad at you for buying two dresses that will make him look good. Isn't that the point?"

"Yes," she said simply.

"And come on, you're living at Hogwarts, I know he's given you all of the books you'd need instead of making you buy them. So it's not like you're bleeding him dry."

She nodded a bit at that. He had a point. His home in Spinner's End was paid off so he had no large expenses and she didn't think she was demanding when it came to purchases.

"So, which two?"

"That's more like it, Granger," he smirked. She hoped she hadn't decided wrong. "Let's look at them again and we'll go from there." He turned to the women helping them. "We'll need all the usual accessories, too," he said.

"Of course, Mr. Malfoy."

"I'd say that one for the dinner, Granger," he said.

"That's not my name anymore, Draco."

"You'll always be Granger to me."

"So, why this one?" She asked as she regarded herself in the mirror.

"You look lovely, dear," the mirror said.

Hermione rolled her eyes. She wasn't sure she'd ever get used to magical mirrors like this one. "Thank you," she answered, unable to be rude even to a mirror.

"Dinner out?"

"Um, sort of, at the Ministry," she said.

"Oh, lucky woman. Enjoy!"

"Thanks."

Draco made his way to her then. He'd actually been very good about keeping his distance and refraining from sarcastic or biting remarks as she tried gown after gown on.

"Because, Granger, there are rumors that you married so quickly because you are pregnant. Wearing that gown there will be no question that you are not that months after your marriage."

She glared at him then.

"Hey, I don't think that you are. I'm just saying…"

"I was, Draco," she said quietly.

"Oh," he said just as quietly. "I didn't know. I'm sorry, Hermione." He settled a hand on her shoulder. "Really, I wouldn't have made the joke if I'd known. My parents, you know, they tried for years before and after me."

"I didn't realize that, no. I'm not mad at you. I wasn't very far along, I didn't even know I was pregnant until I lost him."

"Talk about putting my foot in my mouth."

"Is that really the prominent rumor?"

"Yes," he said. "The Prophet won't print it until they see visible evidence you are, of course, because they don't want to print an apology. Those with their ears to the ground, though, are aware."

"Have you placed money on that being true?"

"I have not. I know my godfather, and while I realize you accepted your bond I knew he wouldn't be stupid enough to get you pregnant in the middle of a war."

"Yes, well."

"That long ago?"

"Yes. Not intentionally. Obviously, we forgot the charm once."

"So, you'd be like," he said, seeming to do the math.

"Yeah," she said.

"Can I hug you without you slapping me?"

"I think so."

"Godfather wouldn't accept one, so I'll give it to you and you can pass on the sentiment to him."

"Thank you, Draco," she said, accepting his hug.

"So, well, maybe that's not a concern of yours then, but I do like this one best. It's your first official outing as his wife. You will look magnificent without being pretentious or appearing as if you're trying to look magnificent and pretentious. It's really very flattering."

"That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me, Malfoy."

"Don't let it go to your head. It's the least I can do for my godfather. He saved my life. Forget my life, he saved my soul."

"I know," she said.

They decided on the second gown and the shoes and accessories to go with each, including a new formal cloak. Draco pointed out that likely this wouldn't be the only formal thing they'd be included in this holiday season and it was only going to get colder.

She came out from changing back into the clothing she'd come in, watching as Draco talked with the clerk at the counter. Was he flirting with her? She seemed a little older than they were, she didn't think that would matter to Draco. Then what she knew about purebloods and how they felt about an older woman, younger man dynamic was nothing.

Everything purchased with plenty of money left over, thankfully, even with the additional dress and a cloak added into the mix, they left the shoppe.

"Smile for the camera, Madam Snape," Draco muttered through clenched teeth as he held the door open for her. She shrunk the bags so they'd fit into her pocket, sighing softly.

It took all of her effort not to glare at the camera. At least it wasn't Rita Skeeter and Severus knew she was shopping with Draco so he wouldn't think anything of seeing the two of them together. They were both mindful, though, not to appear too cozy with one another or touch.

"Where to now?"

"The Leaky and then muggle London."

"We're going to a muggle restaurant?"

"That's what Godfather said," he drawled.

"Is this a first for you?"

"Yes, actually," he said.

"Really?"

"When would I ever have had the opportunity to patronize one before now?"

"I suppose," she said, nibbling on her lower lip again.

They made their way into muggle London. She could tell that Draco was following Severus' instructions. If only she knew where they were going she could've helped him, but her husband and his godson clearly wanted it to be a surprise.

"I think this is right," Draco said, glancing at the restaurant in question.

Hermione set her hand on his forearm once they seemed to be where they were supposed to be.

"Draco?"

"Yeah, Granger?"

"Thank you," she said simply.

"For what?"

"For coming with me. I'm sure there are better things you had to do with your day."

"Oh, plenty," he said with a roll of his eyes. "And you're welcome. You clean up nice."

"Thanks," Hermione said.

"Godfather," Draco called out enthusiastically.

"Draco," he said with a nod, glancing at Hermione's hand on Draco's arm. "I trust your excursion was successful?"

"It was actually," Hermione said brightly. She stopped touching Draco, which she imagined was his intention and reached for him, sliding her hand through his arm. "Thank you," she said, kissing him on the cheek.

"I am sorry I couldn't accompany you myself, but I am grateful Draco was willing to in my steed."

"He was helpful," she admitted. Severus smirked at her admission.

"Shall we then? I assume you are both hungry."

"Yes, I haven't really eaten since breakfast," she said.

"Same," Draco offered.

Draco held open the door for them and she and Severus both thanked him. It was a pretty nice Italian place from the looks of it.

"It was a restaurant Lily had mentioned wanting to go to when we were children, but Potter never got the chance to take her," he said with a shrug. "Her parents had gone for an anniversary dinner or something and raved about it. I'm afraid my familiarity with muggle restaurants is pretty non-existent."

"Why did you choose one then?"

"So that we could have dinner in peace."

"Oh, yes!" That hadn't occurred to her. "There was someone taking our picture when we left Twilfitt and Tatting's."

"Well, it's our first time out together socially, I thought it best we start here."

"Good thinking," she agreed.

"You two do realize that you can talk at the table, or better yet in your bedroom later." He waggled his eyebrows. "Then again I suppose you have better things to do than talk in your bedroom still being newlyweds and all."

"Draco," Hermione said, knowing she was blushing.

"I mean, personally, I imagine you do nothing in your bedroom together. You have separate rooms, right?"

"That's enough, Draco," Severus said in that 'I'm about to deduct the entirety of Slytherin's house points from you' tone of voice.

"Oh come on, Godfather."

"You promised me you'd treat my wife with respect."

"And I've done nothing disrespectful."

"You're toeing the line."

"I always do," he smirked, gesturing for them to go into the restaurant. Hermione took a step over the threshold, Severus followed and walked to the host stand to give his name.

"Does he talk like that when you're, you know," Draco said.

"All of the time. It really turns me on."

"That is way more than I wanted to know."

"Then don't ask the question."

"You're joking, right?" He glanced at Severus who joined them. "She's joking, right?"

"What?"

"About you using that tone on her turning her on."

Severus glanced at her and she shrugged nonchalantly. "I have found that my voice can cause certain reactions, yes."

"Forget I asked," he said, looking even paler than normal.

Hermione sniggered, taking Severus' hand.

"I couldn't help it," she leaned toward him so she could whisper into his ear with a shrug.

"I think I can forgive you."

"I think people think of you as being asexual. Forgive your wife for wanting to appropriately discourage that train of thought."

"With Draco, fine. With Kingsley, not so fine."

"Somehow I doubt very highly Kingsley cares about our sex life."

He nodded. "You are probably right."

"I mean, they know we accepted the bond, clearly we are."

"Clearly," he smirked, eyes watching her.

"I know that look. That means you are thinking about it right now."

"What can I say, my wife makes me think very un-asexual thoughts."

"That is very good to know."

"Oh stop," Draco hissed.

The dinner was, Hermione hated to admit it, nice. The food was good and once Draco got over the apparent oddness of his godfather being married to one of his former foes the company and conversation were rather delightful.

They apparated from an appropriate area not far from the restaurant. Draco went back to Malfoy Manor and the Snapes returned to Hogwarts. Since Severus was with her, he could side-along with her into their quarters.

"I have the rest of the night free, Minerva is not expecting me to return until later."

"Okay," she said.

"I was thinking you may be interested in a run."

"Oh yes," she said, changing immediately into clothes appropriate for walking to the Forbidden Forest.

It had been weeks since they'd done this and her wolf was feeling not just playful but rather frisky. Evidently his hellhound was on the same page. God she loved him. All of him. On their way back to the castle they passed a couple of sixth years who seemed to think sneaking out of the castle at night was a wise decision.

The sight of a wolf and a hellhound with red eyes glowing in a positively feral way would probably make them think twice about doing it again. The wolf and hellhound padded behind them as they made their way back to the castle as fast as they could. Hermione licked his ear when they got to the entrance he'd used to escape notice during his spying days before transforming back.

"I think chasing them was the highlight of the night," she said, petting him before he transformed back.

"Indeed," he said with a soft chuckle. "Of course we were doing the same thing."

"We are adults."

"Did you find everything you needed today? Truly?"

"I did. Draco really was very helpful. I told him so, and thank you. You were right in your choice."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Will I see it before our dinner next weekend?"

"No," she said. "It's bad luck."

"That would be your wedding dress. Even I know that's not how it works."

"Okay, I want it to be a surprise."

"I can grant you that."

"Thank you," she said, smiling brightly.

They made their way upstairs to their quarters, taking the long way through the castle to get there. Severus no longer had the responsibility of hall monitoring rounds, but he took the safety of everyone at Hogwarts seriously so still liked to ensure everything was as it should be before he went to bed for the night. He also wanted staff and students alike to know that he would be a very present headmaster going forward.

She moved the parcels from the day to her closet when they got back.

"I'll have Midge take care of those tomorrow," she said, gesturing to the boxes. "And, oh," she said, finding the pouch he'd given her. "This is your change."

"Keep it."

"Severus," she said.

"You are earning a paltry apprentice income, use it the next time you go to Hogsmeade to meet Messrs Potter and Weasley."

"Really?"

"You sound so surprised. If I've given you the impression that I do not wish for you to have access to money…"

"No, it's just that it's your money."

"It's our money, Hermione. I'd be dead if it weren't for you. Forget literally, I'd have nothing. Allow me to spoil the one who makes me richer than I could ever have dreamt of becoming."

"Well, put like that. Why don't you get undressed and I'll show you just how rich you really are."

"Now there's a proposition I like."

"That relieves me to no end."

"I'm sure you were worried."

"Deeply."


Hermione ensured she was at breakfast promptly the next morning so that Odette Milward could find her if she still needed to. She brought a book with so she'd have something to keep her busy and make it appear to others as if she was just enjoying an additional cup of tea.

"Madam Snape," Odette Milward said as she approached her at the table about thirty minutes after Hermione had finished eating. Severus had come and gone already, but a few other professors were still eating.

"Good morning, Miss Milward."

"I was wondering if you had time for some office hours this morning?"

"As it happens I do and was just heading there after breakfast. Would you care to join me?"

"Thank you, ma'am," she said with a nod.

"Did you need anything before joining me?"

"No," she said with a shake of her head.

Hermione closed the book she was reading, noticing Odette eyeing it. It was a muggle fiction book, so likely something Odette was not familiar with. Hermione tried to save Sundays for fun reading. It didn't always work out, but she usually got an hour or two in of something fun instead of just school work.

"Have you ever seen Swan Lake," Hermione asked as they walked to her office.

"I'm sorry?"

Hermione smiled slightly.

"Your name. I'm wondering if your parents were ballet fans. Odette is the main character in Swan Lake."

"Oh, no, it's a family name. I mean, maybe, but I've never been told so."

"It's rather tragic, so I suppose it's best you weren't."

"Oh," Odette said.

They arrived at Hermione's office. She had her own individual, albeit very small, office since both Transfiguration and Potions students might want to see her.

"So, what can I do for you, Miss Milward?"

"I was wondering if you knew what I'd need to do to be able to stay over the Christmas holidays."

Hermione regarded the second year girl for a moment. Why would she not want to ask such a question to Severus? For that matter, why would anyone prefer to stay at a virtually empty castle for the holiday break versus be home with family?

"You don't want to go home?"

She shook her head, eyes wide and very sincere with the fact that she did not wish to.

Hermione paused, frowning slightly. With that sincerity Hermione saw fear. Not fear as she saw in the spring during the final battle, but it didn't make it any less real.

"May I ask why?"

"My parents are both gone, Madam Snape, and the cousin I've been staying with is …" The girl paused, looking at her hands in her lap as she spoke. "Is not a very nice wizard."

"I see," Hermione said. "May I ask some questions, Miss Milward?"

"Yes, Madam."

"I assure you the only person I'd repeat anything we speak of is Headmaster Snape. And perhaps, I suppose, Madam Pomfrey if I thought that was necessary. I am not a gossip and anything you say to me I will treat with confidence."

"I know that, Madam. It's why I'm here. I've been watching and listening to you. I know other students have said you're not one to repeat things. You could have taken points from me the day that I said I didn't trust you."

"My husband would have."

Odette smirked a bit at that. "So I've heard."

"So, your cousin. How old is he?"

"He's thirty I think."

"Unmarried?"

"Correct," she said.

"And by not nice, is he verbally mean?"

"That, too," she said.

"Physically mean?"

She nodded, tears shimmering in her eyes. Hermione could tell she was trying very hard to stop them from falling.

"He touches me…"

"I see," Hermione said quickly. She didn't want the girl to feel she needed to say more.

She was horrified that this girl had fallen through the cracks somehow. Why didn't anyone know her parents were gone? Why didn't anyone know she was in the care of someone who was abusive to her?

"When you requested to speak with me yesterday, I asked my husband about you. He did not mention the death of your parents."

"They disappeared during one of Voldermort's "visits". They weren't against him, but they wouldn't join him either. I believe they may be listed as missing, but I know. I saw, there was a snake and this real crazy witch …"

The poor thing. Witnessing her parents' deaths and then taken into a relative's home where she was abused. Hermione's heart was breaking just thinking about it. The snake she knew was Nagini. The crazy witch had to be Bellatrix. Hermione shuddered at the thought of that witch getting a finger on this young witch.

"First of all, that crazy witch is dead as is the snake. So you'll never have them to deal with again." The young Slytherin nodded, a small smile of triumph evident. She was glad to know Bellatrix was dead. Hermione was, too. "Now, as to the matter at hand, you know I have friends at the Ministry?"

"I do, Madam Snape."

"Mr. Potter did not have a pleasant childhood. May I ask permission to speak with him and Minister Shacklebolt to request your cousin be investigated?"

"No! He'll know!"

"Oh, Miss Milward, I will not let you go back to his care. I promise if it's the last thing I do you will not return there. I will ensure my husband does whatever he can so that you're able to stay here over the Christmas holidays."

"Thank you."

"I should be thanking you that you trust me enough to confide in me. I know it couldn't have been easy to do so." Hermione settled a hand gently over the girl's. Another thought occurred to her if her cousin was sexually abusing her.

"Are you?" She hesitated. She hadn't specified how far the touching had gone. "Should I bring you to Madam Pomfrey to see if there's a chance of pregnancy?"

She blushed profusely at the question.

"If there's a chance you are, you should know."

"I don't think so."

"So there could be a chance?"

"I suppose," she said.

"When was the last time that your cousin touched you in such a fashion?"

"Mm, August."

"That was three months ago. And you don't think you're pregnant?"

"No, ma'am."

"Okay," she said with a nod. "And you get your menses regularly?"

"I started last winter. I don't know about regularly, but I've gotten it since August."

"Good," Hermione said, relieved they didn't have to worry about that. "And would you agree to testify against him? Or have your memories used against him?"

"It would mean he wouldn't be able to do that anymore?"

"It would," Hermione said, squeezing her hand.

"Then yes."

"Okay. I will talk to Headmaster Snape and Mr. Potter. I will let him know he has permission to go to Minister Shacklebolt but to be sure you're consulted before any action is taken. Okay?"

"Yes, Madam."

"You absolutely did the right thing coming to me. I will help you."

"I should go back to my dorm," she said after a moment's silence.

"I was going to do some grading if you'd like to sit in here for a little while you can. I don't have anything for you to do other than a book or two," she said, gesturing to the shelf she kept her fun books on. She never knew when she'd need a book so she kept a few here.

"No, thank you," she said.

"Are you sure?"

"I have some school work to do."

"Okay," Hermione said.

Hermione watched Odette leave and sighed heavily. She had no idea where to even start. She sent her patronus to Severus to come at his convenience since she really did have some work to do. She went to her fireplace then, which was hooked up to Harry's home. Being Sunday, she expected he would be there.

"Harry?"

"'Mione?" Ron said.

"Hey, Ron. Is Harry around?"

"He is, just a second."

A few minutes later Harry's face was suddenly there. Normally, Hermione would be so glad to see him. She was today, too, but was sad that this call wasn't a good one.

That poor girl. Who would do that to a child?

"Hermione. Aren't we seeing you next weekend? Don't tell us you're canceling before the week even starts."

"No, nothing like that. I'm looking forward to it. Will you be home later or tomorrow evening?"

"Yeah, I mean I should be. We have nothing pressing on our schedules that would take us out of town or anything."

"Okay. I'm fine, Severus is fine, but there is something I need to talk to you about that has nothing to do with us."

"Alright," he said, clearly still concerned despite her assurances. "I'll send you an owl if something changes."

"Thank you," she said. "Severus is here. I'm going to talk to him. Say goodbye to Ron."

"Will do, Hermione. Love you."

"Love you, too, Harry."

"You are very lucky I'm not a jealous man," Severus said from behind her as she stood from the fireplace.

"You're not?"

"Okay, not of Messrs Potter and Weasley."

She laughed softly at that.

"That is refreshing to hear since they are my best friends and Harry is the brother I never had."

"What can I do for my wife this morning? Your charming otter's visit left me curious."

"I've spoken with Miss Milward."

"And?"

"I've promised her other than you, Harry, and possibly Kingsley no one else would be told about anything without her permission."

"I'm not sure that I enjoy being included with Potter's company, but go on."

"Her parents are deceased. Evidently they were killed while attempting to be recruited to Voldermort's side."

"They refused I assume."

"It sounds that way. She witnessed it, though she said she believes they're technically listed as missing."

"Nagini," Severus said.

"I would assume so. She did say it was a giant snake and a crazy witch, and seemed rather certain they were dead. Her original question was how she'd go about getting permission to stay here over the holidays."

"She has nowhere to stay?"

"The cousin she's been staying with. Her cousin … abuses her, Severus."

"Oh," he said simply. She could see the anger in his eyes. "She said she has gotten her period since the last time so there is no child."

He closed his eyes and she could see him collecting himself. When she said abused, he'd imagined only physical abuse. His mind hadn't wandered to the other type of abuse the poor girl had apparently been subjected to as well.

"What can we do for her, Severus? Can she elect to stay here for the holidays?"

"You are going to talk to Potter?"

"Yes. She said she'd testify or allow her memories to be used as proof of her accusations."

He nodded simply.

"Would Slughorn take her in?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know how close they are, and honestly Hermione he's old enough to be her grandfather. I'm not sure that would be a good fit. Especially if she has therapeutic needs."

"I suppose, I just thought, he's her family."

"Of course, my lioness wants to courageously protect a hurt cub."

"Well, so do you, so don't tell me that's just my Gryffindor coming out."

"I will accompany you to visit Potter this evening and we can go from there. I believe I can work with Kingsley to allow her to stay at her request over the holidays."

"After dinner? I can let Harry know."

He sighed heavily. "That's not exactly what I'd imagined for my Sunday evening, but it'll do."

"You're wonderful," she said, standing on her tiptoes to kiss him.

"Mm," he said, kissing her back.

"And sexy," she said, kissing him again. "And my wizard."

"You did well, Wife."

"I didn't do anything. She decided she could trust me for some reason."

"Because you've earned it and have given her no reason to believe it's misplaced. That's important."

"So, let me finish my grading."

"Bring it upstairs."

"No! You'll distract me, Headmaster Snape."

"I could distract you here," he quipped. "I seem to recall you mentioning my classroom and desk…"

She kissed his jaw.

"I can't," she whispered. "Not today. I just had to sit with a twelve year old girl and ask her if she needed a pregnancy test because her adult cousin is abhorrent."

"I know, my apologies."

"You have nothing to apologize for. Later maybe," she said, resting her head against his chest to take the comfort he was offering her.

He chuckled, swiping his mouth with a hand.

"What?" she asked?

"I just realized you've never said no before."

She laughed softly. "Because I've never wanted or needed to say no before. Now that we've discovered the shower during my period."

"I am a lucky man. Exhausted from my efforts to keep up with you, but very lucky."

"I think I'm pretty lucky, too."


Ron was a bit miffed to be excluded from the conversation, but Hermione explained that it wasn't because she didn't trust him but that she'd given her word. He'd accepted that and stayed home while Harry met them.

Harry agreed to talk to Kingsley the next morning and see what they could do. Severus would as well, of course, to find out about letting her stay at Hogwarts for the upcoming holidays. Hermione swore if she had to physically hide her at her parents' house to keep her word she'd do it.

They returned to their quarters, both exhausted. They got ready for bed and while no sex was had they clung to one another both grateful that a twelve year old girl was brave enough to speak up. Eventually they fell asleep, Severus' hand possessively around her keeping her flush against him.

Return to Top

Part 27 | Part 29

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com