Chapter Twenty
Forest of Dean
December 25, 1997

"Hermione!" Harry huffed. "I'm a boy last I checked I don't need makeup!"

"I know, Harry. This won't look like makeup, I promise. Just a bit of shadowing and highlights to make you look a little different. We can't take a chance anyone recognizes you," she said. "We probably shouldn't even be going out today, but I doubt anyone would look for us here. And with the makeup changing our faces a bit."

"How do you know about this place anyway?"

"I've been camping here with my parents. I figured it was a place we could blend in enough to have ourselves Christmas dinner, even if it is the middle of the day."

The money Severus had given her was in her pocket. They could afford an extravagant meal indeed with as much as he'd given her. She understood why he'd done it and she loved him even more for it. He wanted to take care of her, and whether he understood or not he wanted to take care of his friend's son, too. Harry had no idea how much she wanted a normal Christmas dinner. With her parents. In her parents' house.

"Oh," he said.

They'd apparated a ways out of town after escaping from Godric's Hollow, found a spot they could put the tent up once they returned from town. Finding a service station that was open they'd gone into the bathroom so Hermione could work on making them both not quite so recognizable. The last thing she did was a glamour Severus had taught her that would help disguise his scar.

"Thanks, Hermione," he said finally.

She smiled brightly, glad that he realized she was doing this for him, not to make things difficult on him. He hardly got to leave their tent ever. She'd volunteered to let him do laundry, but he'd waved off the offer. She'd realized last night, risky as Godric Hollow was, that he needed to get out once in a while, too.

"Now, let's go have something to eat. I wonder if we'll find somewhere with mince pies!"

"Anything without berries," he quipped.

"Not today," she said, knowing he wasn't picking on her.

He'd acknowledged more than once he'd be dead of starvation if it weren't for her. She'd tried to teach both Ron and Harry what to look for, but neither of them had been interested. Well, Harry had been interested but just didn't seem to catch on to what he'd need to look for. Ron, she presumed anyway, expected she'd be there to do it for him all of the time.

They found a nice restaurant to eat in. Neither had formal muggle clothes so it wasn't that nice, but nice enough on Christmas for two people who were missing their other loved ones. Their server assumed they were together, until they'd (discreetly) clarified they were cousins on their way to seeing family.

Both had giggled at the very idea!

They'd agreed on cousins versus siblings in case that triggered recognition by anyone who would know how close Harry and Hermione were. It helped, she supposed, for this outing that they were without Ron so anyone looking for the three of them would be disappointed. Assuming those looking for them weren't aware of Ron's defection. She wasn't sure after last night. Thus the cousins cover and the makeup for them. She'd also worked with her hair, putting it up in a severe style so it wasn't so out of control.

They took a walk around the charming town after dinner before making their way back to the spot they'd decided on to set up camp. Their bellies were full and both felt a little lighter after spending a few hours normally amongst people even if they didn't talk to anyone but their server and a couple of cashiers.

Once the wards were set up and the charms in place, they made their way inside for some hot chocolate. They'd splurged and bought a bottle of peppermint schnapps at a store as well as take away meals from the restaurant. Those they planned on eating for dinner much later while they had their respective watch shifts. The schnapps had cost more than buying it at a liquor store would have, but they saw it and both agreed it sounded like a great way to pass the evening. Wordlessly, both were hoping the season of Santa would bring them the answers as to how to destroy the locket and how to find the rest of the horcruxes.

Hermione reached for her bag, pulling out Harry's present. It wasn't really a present, this was something Harry needed just disguised as a Christmas present to give her best friend something normal today. She'd found a nice pair of leather gloves for Severus and left the gift wrapped box on their kitchen table for him assuming he went home at some point.

"Happy Christmas, Harry," she said

"Hermione," he said. "I didn't get you anything."

"I didn't get you a gift under the presumption I'd get one back from you. I'm fully aware of the fact you've been unable to go shopping."

"Oh, Hermione," he said, pulling the hat and gloves out of the box. "Thank you," he said. His gloves had gotten ruined a few days ago in one of their moves. His hat, she had no idea what had happened to it. They had warming charms, but gloves were still nice.

"I'm sorry it's something practical and I realize a new wand would be handier. Next year it will be something fun."

"Deal," he said.

She sat at the table while he got the hot chocolate ready, pulling her pen and notebook from her bag.

"How much schnapps do you want?" Harry asked.

"Just enough to make me know it's there," she said.

He nodded, both somewhat giddy about having muggle alcohol to go with their hot chocolate in a magical tent on Christmas.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS. DINNER, WELL LUNCH REALLY, WAS A WELCOME EXCURSION TODAY. WE GOT TAKE-AWAY DINNER FOR LATER, TOO, AND SOME SCHNAPPS TO PUT IN OUR HOT CHOCOLATE WHILE WE TALK ABOUT THINGS WE WANTED FROM SANTA WHEN WE WERE KIDS. THANK YOU AGAIN.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS, WITCH. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO THANK ME FOR TAKING CARE OF THAT WHICH IS MINE. I HOPE MR. POTTER HAD A HAPPY ONE, TOO.

She smiled at that. She liked when he included Harry in his well-wishes.


Hermione knew they should move and they would. Tomorrow. She was sort of enjoying being close to somewhere she'd been with her parents. The trip into town yesterday had probably been careless so soon after getting spotted in Godric's Hollow, but she felt confident her previous visits here would not be common knowledge to Riddle or his cohorts.

"You're quiet," Harry said. "And you're not writing anything in that notebook of yours."

"No," she said, opening her bag so she could summon a pen.

"So, that leads me to believe you're thinking."

"You wouldn't be wrong."

"So, what are you thinking about?"

"Nothing, just enjoying being somewhere familiar, even if I'm stuck in a tent in the woods with you."

He chuckled. She supposed that had sounded a little ruder than she meant it.

"Where are we anyway?"

"Forest of Dean. Pretty far west of London. I figured it was safe," she shrugged. "I mean, I haven't been here for a while, but it was one of our favorite spots."

"I'm glad you remembered it, and am glad you shared it with me."

"Me, too, Harry," she said.

"What book are we reading tonight?"

"Um, I'm not sure, you pick," she said. He knew where the books were in their room.

"I'll be back," he said.

She smiled. It was strange how close reading to him had brought them. Even the romantic comedies gave them something to talk about. They weren't intellectual conversations, but they were fun. She vowed to have Severus read to her when they had time. She could just imagine the effect hearing him read to her would have on her.


"Headmaster," Phineas Black called from his portrait. He sounded almost excited, which was rather unusual for the former headmaster.

"Yes?"

"Miss Granger, I know where they are."

"Where?" he asked, glancing at Albus' portrait.

He'd been sleeping a moment ago, but no longer was.

"Forest of Dean she told the Potter boy."

"It is time, Severus," Albus said.

Severus' heart pounded in his chest.

"You're sure," Severus eyed both portraits.

"Indeed. Remember, it has to be a heroic recovery and he cannot know that you are involved," Albus prompted.

"I remember," Severus gritted out his reply. As if he'd forgotten any damned thing Albus had told him over the years.

He took Gryffindor's sword from its hiding place and apparated away to Forest of Dean. Fortunately, he himself had been there so he had somewhere to picture in his mind.

He'd heard about the narrow miss at Godric's Hollow and was probably a lucky wizard that he hadn't seen Hermione that night. He had been furious at their carelessness. He knew, though, that as logical as Hermione was, Harry Potter was not and there was only so much someone could do to stop someone from engaging in foolishness. He supposed he should be grateful for the world that Hermione had accompanied him on the fool's errand.

Now what to do with the damned sword, he mused to himself. Heroic in a forest? What was he supposed to do, attach it around the neck of a bear?

It took him a bit, but finally he knew what to do.

He put up his shields, called upon Lily's memory one last time and cast a patronus, giving it instructions to find Potter and lead him to the lake. He shifted into his animagus form and followed the graceful doe to their campsite, knowing it would be the last time he'd see that particular patronus.

He'd been lucky he could produce it tonight because Mr. Potter would not only be unlikely to follow his current patronus but it would make him suspicious. He growled low when he realized the campsite was obviously warded and enchanted. The doe had stopped, but no one was coming and Severus saw nothing. He had to do something to get Potter out here.


"Hermione," Harry said, sounding excited.

She came out at his tone. Maybe he wanted some more hot chocolate or something. Two cups in for both of them tonight, and she was pretty sure he was feeling as warm inside as she was. It was a nice feeling for a change.

"I swear I saw a demon out there."

"A demon, Harry. Are you feeling alright?"

"I saw red eyes," he said. He stood then.

"Harry, don't," she said too late. He'd gone outside of her wards.

"It's a doe! Just like my mother's," he said, crossing back over the enchantment's threshold so he could see her. "I have to go, Hermione, it's a sign. It has to be a sign!"

"Harry," she said, nibbling on her lower lip.

"Hermione. A patronus where we are. Come on? Don't you see? If it was You Know Who, they wouldn't send a patronus."


She huffed, of course he was right. That wasn't what the Dark Lord did.

"Be careful," she said, thinking on what Harry had said a moment ago about red eyes. Could it be? Her heart galloped for a second at the thought of him being here.

"You know I will," he said, kissing her cheek.

She nodded simply, watching him leave and traipse into the woods after the doe. The hellhound howled a moment later, prowling nearby, seeming to follow Harry's scent but only able to get so far.

She crossed over the enchantment and he bound to her immediately, yipping at her.

"Come on then," she said, waving him on as she moved back in the wards.

He shifted back and followed her into the tent. He eyed it with interest before turning his gaze onto her.

"Welcome to Casa Granger," she said sardonically. "Or Granger-Potter. Whatever you want to call it."

"It could be worse," he said with a brief nod of his head.

"You're right, it could. It's a roof over our heads. It's served us well."

She fell into his arms then, kissing him urgently.

"Bed?" he growled, breaking the kiss only to take a breath.

It was a slow process, neither willing to leave the other's lips alone but she led him to her bed, falling onto it while she worked the fastening on his trousers. She groaned softly, taking him out of the confinement and stroked him before bringing him into her mouth reverently. He hissed, fingers moving through her hair.

Soon she was on the floor of the tent on her hands and knees with him sliding inside of her. She was glad he apparently felt the same urgency she did because as much as she loved his clever fingers and tongue.

"This is exactly what I need," she hissed as he thrust deeply into her.

"Yes," he agreed.

"Please, Severus," she gasped.

"Not enough?" he asked, kissing her shoulder.

"No, fuck me, please."

She slid her fingers between her legs, touching herself as he did exactly as she asked him to do.

"Like that?" he murmured in her ear.

"Yes, yes, yes," she cried out.

"I missed you, too, my witch." He slid inside of her with a particularly hard and deep thrust. "Mine," he said, kissing her neck.

She found his left hand with hers, gripping his fingers tightly. "Mine," she repeated.

He cried out, finishing just before she found her own release. Neither said anything, listening only to one another's breathing after their frantic lovemaking.

"Thank you," she said, knowing she sounded very content just then. His chuckle told her he'd heard the same thing in her voice, too.

"My pleasure."

"What are you doing here?" she asked, shifting onto her back once he'd pulled out of her. She missed him, their bodies joined so intimately as they were obviously meant to be when he did, but she knew it was inevitable.

He rolled his eyes. "Delivering a sword to Mr. Potter."

"Gryffindor's sword?" She was sure her eyes lit up brighter than the Christmas lights they'd seen in Godric's Hollow the other night.

"Yes," he said. "I was told it was time to do so."

She grimaced at that. "Dumbledore?"

"Yes," he said with a nod.

"You've had the sword, and we've been walking around with this evil locket for months and he told you to wait?"

"He did. Believe me, Hermione, I almost went against his wishes several times upon reading your notes, but I have to believe the man knows what he's doing."

"I know, it just, gods, we could have destroyed it months ago!"

"I am sorry, my witch," he said, leaning in to kiss her. He drew away, squinting a bit at her. "Are you drunk?"

"No," she said, shaking her head. "I'm feeling nicely warm."

"Oh? Should I be concerned about my witch developing a drinking habit?"

She giggled softly, kissing his chin and jaw. "No, it was our Christmas treat to ourselves. After lunch yesterday we walked around for a bit and stopped at a store that sold schnapps. We decided it sounded good mixed with some hot chocolate," she shrugged.

"It tastes nice," he whispered, kissing her again.

"I'm glad you like it."

"And you asked me to fuck you," he said, nuzzling against her jaw to her ear.

"I did," she said and he chuckled softly at her blushing.

"I felt the same neediness, I assure you."

"I could tell."

"I thought for a moment we would be caught," he whispered.

"Why?"

"With my shields down and without focus my patronus has changed," he admitted.

"Oh?"

"Yes, it is now an otter," he said with a laughing scoff.

"Harry says he saw a doe," she said with a slight frown.

"I knew he would not follow an otter, but he would follow the doe. I made sure all of my walls were up and thought of the first time his mother had me into her home."

"I didn't realize they could be manipulated?"

"As you say, I am a powerful wizard," he said with a shrug. "Truthfully, I wasn't sure it was going to work and I felt … guilty trying, but I had to get him to the sword."

She cupped his cheek.

"Please don't. You're right, he wouldn't have followed an otter and he would have known, suspected anyway. I'm working at getting him to think he doesn't have all the facts about Professor Dumbledore's death, but he's still not there yet."

"I swear to you, I will not think of Lily in relation to creating a patronus again. You're not mad?"

"No. Now, if you'd told me that you'd pictured her snogging you or something then maybe, but I'm not jealous of her, Severus. She was your friend, you cared for her. I'm glad you had her because without her friendship I'm not so sure you would've been accepting of us."

"I do not deserve you."

"You're allowed to think of your friend. You're even allowed to love your friend. I love Harry and Ronald."

"I know."

"I know you do not understand why I do, and I'm not sure why I love Ronald right now myself, but you have not yet told me not to love them or express my love for them."

"Presuming you are not doing what we just did with them, you are correct."

She smirked at that. "I am not, I assure you. I will only be with one wizard, Severus. You're all I need and want."

"I want never to have to cast the doe again," he admitted. "It truly felt like a betrayal."

"Why did you cast it before tonight?"

"I was going to send a message to Minerva. I hand-delivered it instead," he said with a shrug.

"She would have known, too."

"Yes, or at least suspected enough to be curious. While I wish I could be honest with her, I cannot."

"You must be so lonely," she said, tears welling in her eyes as she realized he was in Hogwarts with no one to believe in or look after him. He was literally alone with the weight of both sides of the war on his shoulders.

"I have you. I also have the portraits and the castle," he shrugged.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you, Witch."

She told him about their visit to Godric's Hollow, the symbol they saw, and their harrowing experience. He'd known, of course, about their near capture. She could tell he was not pleased, but he listened as she told him and did not scold her. She took that as a win.

His hand slid along her waist. Neither of them had removed clothes, merely positioned them enough so he could be in her. He admitted the urgency of their coupling was arousing in its own right.

"Now, Miss Granger," he whispered, kissing her neck.

"Yes?"

"I don't want to fuck you," he said, tracing his fingertips along her slick folds.

"You don't?" she asked, breath hitching as he found her nub.

"No," he whispered. "I want to worship you before I must leave."

"Hmm, who can say no to worshipping?"

He chuckled softly, then vanished her clothes before doing just that very thoroughly.

"You could give lessons," she whispered afterward, her body humming from his efforts. She'd like to say she was thoroughly sated, but she knew after he left she'd wish for him inside of her again.

"On what?"

"Your clever fingers and mouth. Witches would probably pay you to teach their wizards."

"I have no desire to use my fingers and mouth on any other witch and certainly no wizard."

"Oh, I'm not suggesting you actually do it. Trust me, the conversations I've overheard in the library and common room because people assume since I'm reading I can't hear what they're saying."

He laughed. "I know this phenomenon you speak of very well."

"Well, to hear tell, wizards do not please their witches in the same delightfully thorough way you do."

"You are responsive and delectable," he shrugged. "Add to that you communicate openly with me about your needs and wants. I would be remiss at not enjoying that which my witch offers me."

They dressed slowly, watching each other as they did.

"I hate leaving you," he admitted.

"I hate leaving you!"

"Happy Christmas, my Basil. I know it's a day late."

She smiled. "Happy Christmas, Mare."

"Next year…"

"Yes," she said, loving the fact that he was thinking about next Christmas. That gave her hope!

She walked with him out of the tent, watching as he shifted into his animagus form. She knelt down, petting him as she hugged him before placing a kiss along the side of his mouth. He licked her in return.

"Be safe," she whispered.

You, too.

"I heard that!"

The hellhound bowed his head, as if nodding.

"You knew that?"

He bowed again.

"Huh," she said. "That could be useful," she murmured. He nudged against her. "Sorry. Be safe and I'll keep you updated. Hopefully, we'll be done with that bloody locket soon."

He stepped over the enchantment's threshold and proceeded to howl. She watched him pad into the night, brushing tears from her eyes. She went inside, made herself some more hot chocolate without the peppermint schnapps and came back out to wait for Harry.


ANOTHER ONE DISABLED. AND RONALD HAS RETURNED. DID YOU KNOW THAT?

I DID NOT. I AM GLAD, THOUGH, THAT HE FOUND HIS WAY BACK TO YOU.

THANK YOU. I'M STILL MAD AT HIM, BUT I'M GLAD HE'S OKAY.

WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME THEN?

OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT I LOVE YOU? I WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOUR EFFORTS PAID OFF AND THAT RONALD IS BACK. NOW TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIND OTHERS.

INDEED. GET SOME REST, MY WITCH. FORGIVE RONALD, NOT EVERYONE IS AS STRONG AS YOU ARE.

THANK YOU.

JUST DON'T FORGIVE HIM TOO WELL.

She laughed at that.

I'LL TRY NOT TO DO THAT.

GOOD NIGHT, MY LOVE.

GOOD NIGHT.

She made her way back out to where Harry and Ron were talking.

"You done being mad at me, 'mione?"

"No, but I'm glad you're back," she admitted.

"Well, that's something," he said with a huff. She imagined none of them were going to get much sleep tonight, so she settled in a chair prepared to be filled in on the last couple of months.

Return to Top

Part 19 | Part 21

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com