Chapter Nineteen
December 1997

He watched her as she threw the clothes in the washer. When she'd started, she kept her things separate from those of Potter and Weasley. Now she no longer did, combining them. He wasn't sure if it was because there was less without Weasley's to do, or if she just no longer cared.

She was thin, tired, and scared. If the months had been weighing heavily on him, they had absolutely ravaged her. She was still strong and resilient, though, and of that he was immensely proud.

"Why are you staring at me?"

"You don't know?"

She nodded simply.

"I apologize if I'm no longer pleasing to you."

He sighed, crossing his arms in front of him. "That is not at all the case."

"You think I'm tired and thin."

"I do, but I know that is not through any fault of your own."

"And if it were?"

"I'm sorry?"

"What if I like being this weight?"

"Well, then okay," he said, cautiously.

"I mean if you think that now after two months…"

"Hermione!" He strode to her then, grabbing her arm. "Do not. You're upset for some reason, I can sense that. I'm working very hard not to invade your thoughts because I don't want to intrude and violate your trust."

She turned in his arms then, sobbing against his chest with her hands in front of her face. He wasn't sure what to do with this! She wasn't prone to emotional outbursts. He slid his arms around her, rubbing along her back and hair. He kissed the top of her head.

"You will always be pleasing to me, Hermione. I can see the toll this has taken on you, that is all that I meant. You don't think it tears at me, eats at whatever of my soul is left that my witch is out handling an artifact that could very well drive her crazy?"

"I know," she said, sobbing.

He kissed the top of her head again, resting his cheek against it.

"I love you. I know I don't say or write it every time, but good heavens, Witch, if you've learned nothing about me over the years and what I told you of my past. Have you not realized that those that deserve my loyalty and affection get it for a very long time?"

She snorted at that.

"You are rather hard to get rid of it would seem," she sniffled.

His lips lifted in a bit of a smile, not that she saw.

"Yes, well, beggars can't be choosers."

"Am I the beggar in this picture?"

"I think I should perhaps not answer that."

She giggled softly, reaching up to kiss his chin.

"I'm sorry."

"It's all right."

"It's just that locket, Severus. It's awful. We take turns and we try to split it up, but it's just evil."

"I know," he said. He didn't, of course, but she'd told him about how it made them feel. He, like she, was curious as to why Ronald Weasley had been far more susceptible to the locket's musings.

"I just want this done with. I'm so tired, Severus. Every day. I mean we don't even really do anything yet it's exhausting."

"As you have every right to be."

She shuddered against him.

"Hold me," she said.

"I am, my sweet."

"Tighter. Closer."

He did as requested and she hummed against him.

"I love you, too," she whispered.

"You are beautiful, Witch. Now or then. As you were or as you are. You are mine and I will accept and love you no matter what."

"Thank you," she said.

"I have a gift for you," he said.

"Oh? You just gave us more books last week!"

He chuckled. "Yes, you are fortunate I love and trust you."

"Why?"

"I'm giving you romantic comedies to read to another wizard."

"They work!"

He scowled at that, not that she could see it.

"And I continue buying them for you."

"We laugh, you know. It's nice to have something light to look forward to. Harry appreciates it. So do I, truthfully. I think if it wasn't for the locket…"

"Understood. It's all right. Anyway, not knowing what next week and Christmas will bring."

"I didn't get you anything! I honestly wasn't even aware Christmas was so close. Is it next week already? Really?"

"You don't have to, Witch. I have no doubt next Christmas you will make it up to me."

"Oh?"

"Yes."

"I like the sound of that," she said, wiping her cheeks.

"As do I."

She sighed, drawing away as he led her upstairs.

He presented her with a box when they got to the sitting room.

"Severus, really," she said.

"Please indulge me," he said.

"I just feel bad."

"Well, if you'd open the box you'd see that it is somewhat of a gift for me as well."

She smirked, eyeing him, but went ahead and opened the box.

"Severus!"

She was blushing profusely now and he couldn't help but chuckle.

She pawed through the box of knickers all satiny with lace. Not a pink or anything remotely bright in color could be found.

"Did you actually buy these?"

He scowled. What kind of question was that?

"How else do you believe I would have come by them?"

She laughed then.

"No, I wasn't accusing you of anything nefarious. I'm just trying to picture you going into a store that sells knickers."

"It was a muggle store."

"Of course it was."

"Possibly as far from where I would encounter anyone I could know."

She sniggered at that.

"They're lovely," she said.

"I would've bought matching bras, but I wasn't sure what size to buy. The knickers seemed safe."

"You mean you don't know?"

"I know what you feel like in my hand, but somehow I didn't think you, or the store clerk for that matter, would appreciate my comparing hers to yours."

"No! You can keep your hands to yourself, thank you very much."

He nodded his head slightly. He loved the possessive streak in her. She didn't have occasion to express it often, but it made him feel warm inside when she did.

"You missed one," he said.

"I did?"

She sorted through the box again, picking each pair of knickers up. Finally she got to the pair he bought that made him a little apprehensive as to her reaction.

"Severus," she whispered.

"Is that a Severus what were you thinking? Or a Severus when can I model them for you?"

She drew up the pair of black lace panties that were missing a significant amount of fabric that would keep her lady bits covered.

"It's a right now may not be the right time look but I'd really like to."

"Oh?"

"There may be a hormonal reason in addition to the locket for my earlier moodiness."

"Ah," he said. "Forgive me for not being aware."

"Why would you be?"

"Well, if we were married…"

"Of course, but we're not and I'm not able to see you with any regularity for you to know my cycle."

"So something for us to look forward to then."

"Oh, yes," she said, blushing again. "Is it alright if I leave them here?"

"You afraid Mr. Potter's going to go through your bag?"

"He certainly would have questions."

"You caught him masturbating, I'm sure he'd let it slide."

She set the box aside, the pair of crotchless knickers still in her hand and closed the distance between them.

"I will gladly wear these for you. Maybe one day when I beckon you home again," she whispered, kissing him.

"I look forward to it then."

"Thank you," she said.

"Thank you," he said.

"No, really, Severus. It's a rare man brave enough to go into a lingerie store."

"A wizard wants to ensure his witch has nice things."

"Yes, well, I think you'll find most wizards would let their wives choose nice underthings themselves."

"What is the point in that then?"

She shrugged. "I love the idea of you doing it, so please feel free to continue doing so."

"Oh?"

"Yes, it's kind of sexy actually."

"Okay, now you're being facetious."

"I am not! It's sexy thinking of you looking at knickers and what you'd like to see on me. Really."

"All right," he said.

"Do I get to do the same?"

"I am not wearing lace knickers, Hermione!"

She chuckled.

"I'm not sure that's what I had in mind, though that might be kind of fun."

"No!"

"Really? You'd refuse me?"

"You know I'd refuse you nothing, but even I have dignity."

"Well, I haven't seen any knickers for men in lace. I mean I imagine they exist, but you know, black silk …"

"Now, I do like that idea."

"Okay then." She brightened, liking that thought and storing it away for future reference.

"But the lace against your skin while I rubbed you might feel kind of nice," she said.

"Hermione," he said with a soft groan.

"Just saying," she shrugged.

"I look forward to when I can be properly dressed by you."

"As I look forward to doing so."

"Happy Christmas, Severus," she whispered, kissing him.

"Happy Christmas, Hermione. I wish it could be different."

"I know. Soon," she whispered.

"I hope so."

"Me, too. Should I have told you before coming here tonight?"

He frowned.

"That we cannot…"

"No! As appealing as you in my bed is, that is not all I desire from you, Witch. Let's play some cards," he said.

"Cards? Really? Like gin rummy?"

"Yes, exactly like that."

"Are we gambling?"

He let his eyes rove over her suggestively and smiled wickedly. His eyes sparkled, they both were fully aware what he was thinking about them gambling for.

"Next time."

"Okay," she smiled.

"You do know I enjoy spending time with you, correct?"

"I do, but believe it or not I look forward to laundry nights."

He dipped his head a bit, knowing he was blushing.

"Have you heard from Ron?" she asked?

"No," he said, as they got set up to play cards. She grabbed drinks for them from the kitchen while he got the cards.

"Harry and I are worried about the Weasleys."

"They are safe as far as I have heard. Of course, I'm no longer invited to Order meetings to know that for a fact, but I would assume Miss Weasley would have said something to someone and word would have gotten back to me via a portrait or something."

"Right," she nodded, agreeing.

They played cards until she had finished her laundry.

He met her by the machines with a couple vials of potion. She looked from the vials to his face.

"You've never mentioned if you get cramps or not," he said. "These are a little more potent than your normal pain reliever."

"Oh," she said. She kissed him deeply. "You are so sweet, Severus, thank you! I didn't even think to ask you."

He scoffed. "And it hadn't occurred to me to ask in over four months. I apologize for being a thoughtless dolt."

She cupped his cheek. "You haven't lived with a woman since your mom, Severus. I wouldn't expect you to think of things like that."

"Thank you, but I'm not a dunderhead and was Head of Slytherin House as well as stock Poppy's infirmary. I should have offered."

"It's okay. I love you," she said, leaning up to kiss him. "I will admit the muggle pills do seem to help a bit with that. I'm not sure why I am such an emotional wreck this month."

"I can think of a number of reasons, Hermione."

They walked upstairs to the main floor and into the kitchen.

"What's this?" she asked when he gave her some money.

"I'd like you and Mr. Potter to have Christmas dinner somewhere."

"I have money, Severus."

He huffed with a roll of his eyes. Must she be so independent all of the time? Of course he knew she had money. "Witch, let me do this."

She sighed, nodding. "Thank you. He will be thrilled."

"Go somewhere not London," he said.

"Yes, I have somewhere in mind I can take him. I'll do something with my hair so it's not so… me. His scar is another matter, though."

He nodded, teaching her a couple of glamours that could help with Harry's scar.

"I suppose Hogwarts is a little quieter."

"Yes, I would like to show you something," he said, obviously thinking. "Can you spare another hour or so?"

"I suppose I can get away with it. Harry's never seen the laundromat I went to that first week to know how busy it might be."

"All right." He apparated them into the Forbidden Forest.

"Severus," he whispered.

"Transform to your animagus, Hermione, and follow me."

She frowned, but nodded and did as he asked. He led her to a wall of the castle, pausing.

"Approach please," he whispered.

She walked toward the wall and let out a soft yip when suddenly there was an entrance there.

"This is how I am able to come and go without interruption or discovery."

She nodded in understanding.

"Wolf or witch, you can use this entrance as well," he said, opening the door and letting her follow. They followed a passageway for a while, coming out in a hallway.

"Do you know where we are?"

She gave a soft yip, hoping he'd take that for the yes she meant it to be.

"Very well. Obviously, a wolf cannot be seen strolling through the halls, but as it's nearly empty now. A disillusionment once you are yourself again should do the trick if you wanted to come see me. Your password to my office is Queen of Sicily."

The wolf glanced at him in surprise.

"Yes, I'm aware of The Winter's Tale. You are welcome here anytime. However, be sure to disillusion yourself and tell me in advance you're coming so I don't have anyone in my office."

She shook her head again in understanding.

He regarded her then in her wolf form, kneeling to pet her and she growled low in contentment. He smirked. It wasn't often she was in this form without him being in his hellhound form so petting her was rare.

"Albus is aware we communicate," he said, looking into her wolf eyes. "He looks forward to seeing our children when they come he says."

She licked his face and jaw, causing him to chuckle low.

"I'm not sure how many he thinks we'll have."

She pressed her nose against his cheek, rubbing against him.

"I'll take you back home now. I just wanted to show you the entrance. I should've thought of it sooner. There are only a handful of students staying behind over break. I imagine Easter holidays will be even fewer."

They left, returning to the Forbidden Forest where he apparated them back to his home.

He kissed her then.

"Good night, my witch."

"Good night, my wizard."


She returned to Harry with some take-out from a restaurant near Severus' house that he assured her was safe. Her friend was already sitting watch.

"I hope you haven't been waiting long," she said.

"No, I just got out here about an hour ago maybe."

"Oh, good," she said, heading for the tent to put his clothes on his bed to do with as he pleased.

She couldn't believe he'd gotten her knickers. Not just one pair either, but a dozen. If she knew anything about Severus Snape they weren't the cheaper type she'd bought for herself either. She looked forward to wearing a pair soon!

She tried to picture Lucius Malfoy going into a store to purchase knickers for his wife and she just couldn't do it. For that matter, she wouldn't have pictured Severus doing it either. She liked the idea, though. It thrilled her that he wanted to give her such a personal gift.

She made two cups of tea, fixing them how each of them liked it before heading outside to sit with him for a bit. He'd already tucked into the food.

"Thank you," he said, taking the cup. Warming charms were effective, but they weren't quite the same as a warm house with a fire in the fireplace.

"You're welcome," she said, sitting beside him and taking up her container.

"I just wish we knew what to do. We keep moving around, but we're not doing anything."

"I know," she said.

He sighed. "Damn Snape."

"Professor Snape, Harry, and I really wish you'd stop to think about the big picture. I really believe if Professor Dumbledore trusted him we should, too."

"I'm not going to argue with you about this again, Hermione. You weren't there that night. He cast the killing curse."

"I have no doubt you're telling the truth, Harry, I'm just saying that if Professor Dumbledore believed in Professor Snape maybe we should think outside the box and realize we don't have all the facts. You know we don't. We don't know what they talked about leading up to that night."

Harry huffed.

"He's got death eaters working at the school, Hermione."

"I know," she said softly. "He is a spy, Harry. Just because Professor Dumbledore is gone doesn't mean the war is over. He would, I imagine, have orders to follow until the end."

"I just," Harry said, sniffling a bit. Hermione didn't look at him, letting him believe she thought it was the December air making him sniffle.

"I know, Harry," she said, setting her hand over his.

"Why do you believe in him so much?"

She shrugged. How to say this without giving away too much? This was the first time Harry had actually asked her that.

"I just do. I don't know. He saved our lives, Harry. Professor Dumbledore was no fool. There has to be a reason he trusted him as much as he did. I have faith in that fact."

"No he wasn't."

"Do you really think he'd be fooled for so long?"

"So that means You Know Who is?"

"I'm not sure anyone's ever accused him of being as great of a wizard as Professor Dumbledore, or Snape for that matter."

Harry nodded simply. "He's good at inciting chaos, I'll give him that."

Hermione let her head rest against his shoulder. "I just want you to look at all sides, Harry. I know he hasn't always been nice to us, but does that mean he's a traitor to the Order?"

"I wish I knew," he said.

She leaned in, kissing his cheek. "I'm going to get some rest."

"Okay," he said. "I'll wake you when it's time," he said.

He handed her the locket. They both agreed that wearing it to sleep seemed not quite as awful as when awake. They had bad dreams while wearing it, but they were able to sleep with it on.

Return to Top

Part 18 | Part 20

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com