***Chapter Ten***
December 23, 2003

"You are sure this is the best way to go about this?" Severus asked as she kissed first Ivy and Jasmin and then him once she was ready to take her leave from their room. His tone told her very plainly he did not think this was the best way to go about this.

"I'm positive, Severus. I can't just spring a man and two young girls on my parents. That would be chaos and probably lead to them reacting to the whole situation badly."

"You have everything?"

"Yes," she said, clearly exasperated. Everything included the letters the other Hermione had written to both of them. As if it wasn't her idea she bring both letters.

"Fine," he said.

It was as close to pouting as she would likely ever see from him. He did not like sending her to her parents' by herself. Without … backup. That was his role, after all. And hers for him. Support. Moral or otherwise. That was the way he saw it anyway. She knew that. She loved that about him.

"It will be fine," she said, reaching to squeeze his hand. "I promise. I know them, Severus."

In truth, the part that somewhat concerned her is that she didn't truly know them any longer. They were her parents, but there were differences since they'd gotten their memories back. As if they had liked bits of their life as Wendell and Monica Wilkins.

He nodded finally, accepting that this was the way it had to be done.

"All right. Have a good visit then. We will be here for your return or a patronus, whichever comes first."

"Thank you," she said, leaving then.

The girls did not know where she was going. It was clear Ivy knew Hermione was going somewhere for them to travel by portkey to Australia. They thought that would lead to tantrums by both of them. From what Hermione could gauge, Ivy had never met her grandparents. She'd shown both girls pictures of her parents, and it was clear Ivy did not recognize them. So they wanted to avoid her in particular knowing what was happening until afterward.

Know her parents or not, there was always the chance that they'd react to this badly. That portals and children from another universe, one of which was had by their daughter from that universe when she was sixteen, could be too much.

She caught a cab on the muggle side of the hotel to her parents' house. She could have apparated, but she wanted the cab ride alone to think of what exactly she would say. And, okay, she was more than a bit apprehensive. She hadn't been here in a while. She wasn't even sure why. Fear, she supposed that one of these times she'd come only to discover they changed their mind about understanding and forgiving her.

Her dad opened the door after she rang the bell. His wide smile and enthusiastic hug made her realize today wasn't going to be the day they didn't understand and forgive her. That helped ease her mind. This would work out. It just had to. Her parents were good people. Accepting people. They hadn't treated her any differently. She hadn't treated Ron's parents abnormally compared to any of her other muggle schoolmate parents.

"There's my girl."

"Dad," she said.

"Well, you are my girl. One day, when you have your own, you'll understand. You may be all grown up, but you will always be that."

She could admit, she liked hearing that. She loved both of her parents, but she'd always been a bit of a daddy's girl.

"Where's Mum?"

"In the kitchen, putting together some tea and snacks."

"Okay. Good. Perfect."

She moved to the living room, knowing the way from her previous visits. It wasn't as big as their house in London had been, but she supposed with it being just the two of them and no visitors (since no one from London knew them under these names) they didn't need as much. It was still nice, though.

"So, how's work?" her dad asked. "Have you had to come up with any good excuses lately? I still think that's far less than you deserve. You're a war hero! Sat those, what do you call thems, without getting your seventh year."

Of course he thought that, and she loved him to death because of it. He also understood, though, that she didn't want anything handed to her because of her role in the war or as Harry's best friend. She wanted to get positions and advance on merit, her performance.

"NEWTs, and I've actually been doing some work at Hogwarts since January," she said.

"Oh?" She wasn't surprised he didn't know. She knew her mother had, in fact, told him about her going to Hogwarts for an assignment back in January. And beginning to work there full-time during the summer. He just would've forgotten by now because that was how he was about things. She didn't take it personally. Things just tended to go in one ear and out the other with him. It was also probably a year ago that her mum would have first told him about her returning to Hogwarts. Weird to think how much had changed in that year.

"Yes, actually, it's quite interesting. And really what I wanted to talk to you about today before we see you for the holiday."

"We?" Her dad was a clever man, so of course would have picked up on her choice in words. She'd done it on purpose, to gauge his reaction. She was a little worried how her mum would react to the girls. She was more worried about how her dad would react to finding out she'd been living with a man for the past six or seven months. She just wasn't sure how he would react to that. He wasn't one of those fathers who demanded she stay a virgin until marriage or anything, but she sensed he might be a little hurt that they'd taken the step of an attempt at a permanent living arrangement together without asking him first. She hadn't been thinking of her father or hurting his feelings when she returned to Hogwarts with Severus in March, though.

"Mm hmm," Hermione said.

"I see," her dad said. He likely did see. At least some of it. There was no way he could see Ivy and Jasmin.

They were both silent then, obviously waiting for her mum to get into the living room. She was grateful that he wasn't going to rail at her or pepper her with questions about Severus. (The irony in her appreciation of  that was not lost on her.)

Her mum eventually joined them and Hermione took her time preparing her tea. How did one really go about telling their parents they had granddaughters that she hadn't actually given birth to? They weren't adopted either. She knew, though, that if she did adopt children that her parents would love them just as they'd love her.

"So, I have someone with me that I'd like you to meet. He's here with me."

"A man somebody? A wizard?"

"Yes, and yes," she said with a small smile that her mum felt that she needed to differentiate. "It's not as simple as him being a wizard. First of all, he was one of my professors."

"Professor?" His dad scowled. "There weren't any young enough…"

"There was one, Dad. Severus Snape."

"The potions professor, right? The spy?" This was her mum's question.

"Yes."

"How old is he? He was still older if I recall correctly." This was her father.

"He'll be forty-four in a couple of weeks. So, twenty years older more or less," she said.

"You didn't always have nice things to say about him," he said.

"Did you have nice things to say about everyone you met when you were a teenager, Dad? I'm not trying to be flippant. He had his reasons. You're aware he was a spy during the war. He also had a history with Harry's parents. I think my befriending Harry got me caught up in that history, those feelings seeing Harry caused." She wasn't explaining this right. "That is to say. I haven't filled your minds with paragraphs of what a git he is recently nor did I ever when he was my professor. Time can change things. Surely there are people you didn't like at first but your mind changed as you got to know them. Or the other way, some you thought were worthy of your friendship you later decided weren't."

Silence. Her father was clearly thinking on that. She knew it was going to be him being vocal. Not that her mum didn't have an opinion, but her mum was a bit more logical when it came to things. She'd see that Hermione had never brought a man home, wizard or no. They'd met Ronald, but that was while she was at Hogwarts before they ever developed feelings for one another. He was the only other person she'd really told them about.

"And why isn't he here with you?" Her father again. Of course, he would want to know why the man wasn't here with her to meet them.

"Well, because there's more."

"More?" Her mother sounded a bit concerned.

"There's children."

"Hermione!" Both of them said this.

She could just envision what her parents might think, that she'd gotten involved with someone and she became a caregiver to his children. They apparently hadn't stopped to think that there weren't many divorces in the wizarding world, so that meant death of the mum. In this case, obviously not the case, but still. Would they really object to her getting involved with someone with children? They'd never talked about it. Until now there hadn't been any reason to.

"Mum. Dad. Let me finish, please."

"Dad, you watched Quantum Leap. Mum, you've read that Outlander series."

Both parents were looking at her oddly. She supposed it was normal for them to wonder where she was going with this. While she'd enjoyed watching the exploits of Sam Beckett with her father, the Outlander series wasn't up her alley. Much to her mum's disappointment.

"I don't know how to say this any other way. So, here goes," she said. She waved her wand, ensuring a muffliato was cast. Just in case. She didn't think someone from the Ministry was here on the off chance she'd confess something crazy to her parents.

"In early January, Severus was visited via portal by a different version of me. From her correspondence with us, limited as it was, we have drawn the conclusion that the war with Voldemort did not go the same way for her universe as the one we went through."

She told them everything that they knew. She showed them the letters the other Hermione had written to her and to Severus. She showed them a few magical pictures of the girls, one at the Weasleys for Harry's party and another at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour in August getting their first taste of ice cream. She was trying to ensure her parents understood that she nor Severus were responsible for any of this. She didn't want them holding something against him that hadn't happened here. To this version of their daughter.

"Hermione." This was her mother after a good five minutes of silence between them. Hermione figured it was best to let them take in and process what she'd said without her adding more details that really didn't matter. She'd covered the important things.

"I know it's incredibly difficult to believe such a story. I've run the diagnostics on both of them several times. As has Severus. We are their parents, but obviously we - this version of us - are not. My first thought was time travel, that she'd come from the future. That somehow Voldemort wasn't truly defeated. The oldest, Ivy, was born in 1996 so that ruled out a future version of me. Her name, by the way, is Ivy. Ivy Liana." Her mum's eyes got a little glimmer to them when Hermione told her that. She wished she knew that Hermione's parents were okay, to tell them that she knew that, but she didn't. And she wouldn't lie to them. "As I said she's almost six. Her sister, Jasmin Aileen, is two. We assume it's a version of his mum's name, which was Eileen. They are here with Severus and me. He wants to meet you, and we would both very much like you to meet them."

Her parents were quiet again. She suspected they would be when they heard Ivy's middle name. She wished she could stop here because with all that she'd said she was fairly confident her parents would want to meet the girls.

Finding out that they might go home again, though. Well, she wasn't sure.

"The only thing is," she said. "We don't know if that other Hermione is ever going to come back. It's been almost a year and she hasn't yet, but that doesn't mean she won't. We have no idea what's going on in her world to know."

"Come and take them back, you mean? That's what you're saying?" This was her father. Interesting. She had expected her mum to react to that more than her father.

"Well, she is their mother. That's why I'm here first. If that's not something you think you can handle. Having them potentially disappear just as suddenly as they appeared. If that will be too much, Severus and I understand. We both thought that you at least deserve to know. And I can't really hide them from you. That wouldn't be right. They didn't leave Hogwarts much until August, but I think the more time goes by the more he realizes he can't hide them in case she does come back."

"What about you? How will you react if they're suddenly gone?"

Hermione shrugged, pushing some hair back behind her ear. She honestly had no idea: how she'd react or how to answer her parents' question. This she and Severus had discussed more than once. She wished others could see the side to him who would clearly miss the girls if that happened. Likely Minerva, and Harry when they got around to tell him, would be the only others who would know. That bothered her. She understood why he didn't want people to know he was kind or caring. He'd been used and picked on for most of his life. She just thought people might understand him a bit more if they saw the side to her she and the girls saw when they were just the four of them. Or just the two of them.

"I don't have much choice. Neither does Severus. It will hurt. We both know that and have discussed it. It was the reason he didn't tell me right away. He didn't want me to get attached to them and have the other Hermione return. You do have a choice, though."

"Well, that's where you're wrong. No, we don't. Not really. You're telling us we have a choice as to whether we see them. Those poor girls," her mother offered.

"Yes, they were both clearly very confused at first because I didn't know. Ivy seemed to understand why. It sounds like that Hermione told her some things. So she didn't react as badly, but still had her moments. Jasmin, though, she had some good tantrums because of my inattentiveness. All she knew was that her mum wasn't interacting with her at all."

She filled them in on the past year. It was a lot. If anyone had told her a year ago how different her life would be today, she wouldn't have believed them. Forget the fact that she was living with Severus Snape, she was no longer miserably working at the Ministry where no one seemed to really want her. She sure hoped that Kingsley would find somewhere for her, but she understood his hands were tied to some degree. There were a lot of good employees who questioned working for the Ministry after the war.

Granted, the position she was currently working in wasn't exactly what she aspired to do, but it was a step in the right direction. Being somewhere wanted and where she was appreciated made it so much easier to wake up mornings. She expected Severus, Ivy, and Jasmin made it a little easier to wake up mornings, too. Crookshanks was not exactly the rousting from sleep kind of roommate. He was more like a purr contentedly while she slept through her alarm type.

"Does this sort of thing happen often?" her dad asked.

"I don't really know. She created the portal, so it would seem maybe not. Severus doesn't seem to think so and he's studied the dark arts quite a bit. I was admittedly concerned when I mentioned fiction you've watched and read that you'd point out the difference to me. I know this is the real world, but you took to my being a witch well enough. So, I took that to mean you would accept this, too. I just didn't want to spring them on you in case the idea they could go home tomorrow or next month would hurt you."

Silence again. No doubt because her parents refraining from telling her that she was setting herself to be hurt, too. She was. She knew that.

"So when do we get to meet this man and the little girls?"

This was her mum. Of course she'd want to see Ivy and Jasmin. She had sort of counted on that being the case.

"As soon you'd like to. I can send a patronus for them now if you'd like. Severus promised they wouldn't stray from the magical area in case I had to get one to him. I really wanted to give you a chance to acclimate to this news and decide whether you wanted to meet them. I know it's a lot."

"I have to ask," her father interrupted. "If it weren't for these little girls, would you be in a relationship with this older wizard to bring him home for Christmas?"

"Well, likely not. They were definitely the catalyst to our spending time together, Dad. I can admit that, but is it any different than a blind date or a chance meeting? I was at Hogwarts trying to figure out how someone got through the wards, which led to spending time with him. And them. In the beginning, he was trying to soothe Jasmin by letting her sit by me at meals. So, no, I suppose we wouldn't, but I likely would be stuck at a job I didn't like where I wasn't really wanted, too. Minerva was willing to find me something more permanent at Hogwarts because she does want me. Why would you want me to stay where I'm not wanted?"

"It's not the same thing, Hermione. You haven't really even mentioned anyone since things didn't work out with you and Ronald. I just don't want you to rush into something because you share genetic makeup with this man to children who in reality are not yours."

"And I absolutely understand where you're coming from. I'm not irrational nor am I one to act without thinking things through. I'm fully aware that Ivy and Jasmin are not truly mine, that Severus is not my husband. That their mother could come back tomorrow or two years from now. However, the fact remains, we get along. We are similar. We have things in common. Things we wouldn't have had the chance to find out if it weren't for Ivy and Jasmin's being brought here."

"You sent us…"

"You honestly think that was easy for me? That I decided to do that when I woke up one morning? No! It was probably the hardest thing I've done. I knew the risks. I didn't decide to do it on a whim! Your survival knowing I might not be able to return your memories or you being dead. Those were my options. I saved your life! It was a chance I was willing to take and I'd do it again. I wanted you to live. The same way that other universe's Hermione wants Ivy and Jasmin to live. I would have done the same thing. She wasn't much older when she brought them here than I was when I came to the decision of what I had to do with you. And these are her children! She'd been living with a war for six years, too. So if you think I was of sound mind enough to make the decision I did then you have to think that about her, too."

"So she was the same age as you with a year old when you sent us here?"

"Yes, she was. Again, marriage laws. Forced procreation. Her chance of staying alive and not being tortured with any other death eater would have been none. Don't judge him or her. And don't judge this Severus. He didn't do it. Everyone tells me I'm brilliant, and maybe I am or maybe I just know how to study and memorize so that I can suss things out better than most. Who knows? I do know, though, that Severus absolutely is brilliant. I wish you could see some of the potions he's come up with. Or his spells. So if I'm even as remotely brilliant and clever as people claim me to be, any child of the two of us would have enormous potential. I'd want to ensure they lived to see that potential to its end. Did the fact that she, the other Hermione, tell both of us that they were happy despite the odd circumstances behind their marriage influence where we are today?"

She sighed softly, glancing out the window. "I don't know. I started caring for him before I knew. It was subtle, watching the way he was with Ivy and Jasmin. Things that no one else saw at that point because I saw him in the library a few times. Or sat near them at dinner and was curious why he was sitting by me. When I discovered who they were. Well, I was upset. I thought he was spending time with me to appease Ivy and Jasmin. That he really had no interest in me. It hurt. So, I take that as a sign that my feelings are real."

She shrugged, certain she was messing this up. She didn't want them to hate him before they even met him.

"I didn't come here to hash out my relationship with Severus with you. I'm an adult and I'd hope you have enough faith in me not to get into a relationship with someone because of children. We may decide in a year that Ivy and Jasmin while a catalyst aren't enough. I don't know. I don't think so because he's the first person I've spent time with who understands how I am, who doesn't treat me like I'm silly because I like the library."

Of course, he used to, but that was irrelevant to where they were currently. He'd never once since January said anything … unkind or hurtful. And before then, well, she hadn't seen him often since her sixth year of Hogwarts for him to. Not to say he hadn't been short or anything, but that was just how he was. She had to admit, looking back, she was annoying as a student.

She took her wand out of its wrist holster, smiling slightly at the memory of both girls, but especially Jasmin, knowing where she kept it even before Hermione understood why she would know that.

"So, it's up to you. I'm here for Christmas. I'd very much like them to be included in our day tomorrow and Thursday. That's up to you."

"Well, we're not going to exclude your guests, Hermione."

She'd rather counted on that being the case, but these were odd circumstances.

"And you will be nice to him? It wasn't this Severus who married that me when she was fifteen. And that Severus didn't make her agree to marry him either. If I'd been faced with marrying him, marrying another death eater, or going back home and not being able to help Harry I would have made the same choice. And I don't know whether she was given the option to go home. She didn't specifically say. All that we know is in the two letters, one to him and one to me."

"Of course we will," her mother said. Her father nodded after a moment's hesitation. She could tell he wasn't sure, but at least it wasn't a no.

"I don't like it, I admit, but I also know I don't know enough about the world to judge."

"I just don't want you to judge him for something that didn't happen to me. This me."

"As you haven't recently, or ever, brought a different boy home every week, I trust you know what you're doing," her father said.

"Thank you," she said, grateful that he could see that. Remember that she hadn't been a flirty girl who had a different boyfriend every day. "I'll send for them then and go outside to wait for them. I showed Severus that area down the street he can apparate to."

She cast her patronus then, relaying her message to her otter which then took off to deliver its message to Severus. She hoped this wasn't a mistake.

"You aren't going to stay here then?" her mother asked.

"I think Severus, and I am probably too, would be more comfortable staying where we stayed last night."

"Together," her father asked. She barely held back rolling her eyes.

"Yes, Dad. Together."

His lips tightened a bit, but he said nothing further on the subject.

"I'm going to go wait for them."

She stood then and walked to the front door, knowing Severus wouldn't be too much longer. He'd have to get Ivy and Jasmin together, which could be very quick or very lengthy depending on both of their moods these days, but especially Jasmin's. A year ago she was relatively easy. Now, little miss could sport an attitude at times, refusing to put her arms in a jacket sleeve or what have you.

She smiled brightly when she saw them approach the home. She was relieved. Her parents being okay with this or not, it was still stressful. She'd shown him an area he could apparate to when they arrived yesterday so he'd know where he was going if it came to this.

Meeting her parents.

Something she'd never have to do in reverse.

"You're waiting for me out here," he said as Ivy released her hold of him.

She couldn't tell what he was thinking. She didn't claim to be an expert but after months of sharing space with him she was getting better. And totally understood what the other Hermione meant about him letting her in. They weren't married, but she was privy to his thoughts via conversations she knew no one else was. Sometimes it was schoolwork related. Sometimes it was about his past. More than occasionally they discussed books. Right now, though, she didn't know what was on his mind.

"Is that a bad sign?"

Ah. He thought her parents had already said something bad.

"No, I just thought you'd be more comfortable seeing me first."

"While I'm not particularly comfortable with this at all it is necessary."

"I know. I agree. And Ivy and Jasmin get a grandma and grandpa."

"Hopefully, exposing them to each other is not a mistake," Severus said.

"Severus!"

He grimaced with a shake of his head. "That is not the context I meant it in. I mean, if she returns for them. We have no idea if her parents are an option. I just hope we don't expose them to two people who are not an option for them there."

"Oh," she said with a heavy heart. He was right. She hadn't thought of that at all. Was this a mistake? Was this setting the girls to get hurt even more?

"I didn't mean to make you melancholy when you're already apprehensive. I would presume her parents weren't an option simply because the death eaters would know who they were and it would be an obvious choice to look for you or for the girls. You are level-headed and know the risks. I assume she is as well, weighed her options thoroughly and sending her to another universe, to me, was truly her best option."

He passed Jasmin off to her because she was reaching for her and Ivy was reaching for his hand. Hermione took her easily enough. Certainly they were better at this than a few months ago. He reached then, tucking a few curls behind her ear.

"Don't fret over what we don't know."

"I know, I just…" She really hadn't thought of that. She didn't want to harm them, unintentionally or not. She couldn't hide them from her parents, though.

"I know," he said.

He did know. She still felt guilty about what she did to her parents. She hid it well from them, but she'd told him she was worried that down the road there would be repercussions to them for what she did. To their minds. To their health. She didn't know. So far they seemed fine, but it had only been a few years. They'd gone over what she'd done to them. He assured her he believed they would remain fine, but it was six years ago and she was … under pressure. Was she one hundred percent confident she did everything she told him she'd done?

This was not the time to think of that!

"Did you both have fun with Daddy?"

"Yes," Jasmin said. She shook her head, drawing her attention to her hair.

"Did Daddy put your hair up?"

She nodded her head with a smile as the braid at the back of her head moved. She seemed to like doing that. Hermione could remember liking it, too.

"It's very pretty," she said, tapping her nose lightly.

She wanted her hair in a braid all of the time these days. Ivy liked her hair braided once in a while, too, but not as regularly as Jasmin right now. Neither Severus nor Hermione could do anything fancy like French braids but they'd gotten adequate at a regular braid. She wasn't sure what it said that Severus' braids were actually better than hers.

So frustrating!

"Are you ready to go meet my mother and father?"

The squeal that emitted from Jasmin was most likely a yes, but it was hard to say for sure.

"Me, too," Ivy said.

"Are you ready to meet my mother and father?" she asked, peering at Severus.

"I am. You do know other than the Evans' I've never met anyone's parents before?"

"Mm," she said.

"Not that I'm comparing meeting my friend's parents at the age of ten to meeting your parents - you being a witch who is not merely my friend - at the age of forty-four, however, the point still stands. I am no expert in meeting parents."

"You'll be fine," she said, leaning over to kiss him. He didn't talk about Lily often. At first, she thought he expected her to get upset or something. Now, though, he seemed to realize that he could. He just didn't seem to have much to say about her. She hoped that was the case and it wasn't because for nearly seventeen years he felt he couldn't talk about her so was just used to it.

She set Jasmin down then once they walked the short distance to her parents' house and opened the door. She was glad her parents were standing there waiting for them. Maybe they were nervous, too? Hermione shook her head a bit. Oh to be two and have no fear as to who was on the other side of the door. Oh to not have lived through a war and not have that fear either. Ivy clearly didn't have that same fearlessness. Hermione imagined it was because she had seen some things during the war that made her realize not everyone or everything was good.

Jasmin made a beeline for her mum. Not unexpected. She saw tears in her mum's eyes when Jasmin wrapped her arms around her legs as she was prone to do when she was excited to see someone. As intended, her mum picked her up.

"You must be Jasmin," her mum said. She glanced at Ivy who was staring curiously at her. "And, Ivy." Hermione noticed her mum's voice broke up a little here. It wasn't every day you met someone who was named for you. "It's nice to meet you both."

She nodded her head.

"Kiss kiss," Jasmin said, setting her hands against each of her mum's cheeks. Hermione smiled a bit at the fact the girl was acting the same as she did any other day.

Her mum glanced at her and Severus.

"She likes kisses," Hermione said.

"Dad," she said since Mum was busy with Ivy and Jasmin. "This is Severus Snape."

"Mr. Granger or, I suppose Wilkins," Severus said, offering her dad his hand.

"Donald, or Wendell as I still go by here, seems appropriate given the circumstances."

"Thank you."

Severus looked … relieved. For that matter, so did her dad. She appreciated his politeness, though she knew really he wouldn't be anything but. He wanted these two people to if not like him not tell her she was making a huge mistake by being with him as soon as they left. Hermione returned her attention to her mum and the girls as her dad led Severus to the nearby sofa, offering him a drink.

"Oh, Hermione," her mum said. "They both have your hair."

"I know," Hermione said. Ginny wouldn't be the last to notice that either amongst the wizarding world. Both of them falling more closely to their father's colouring than hers helped, she hoped. Not that she had anything to be ashamed of, but she knew Severus would be devastated if people thought he'd had a relationship with a student.

"The braids won't last long," she said. This wasn't criticism. This was the voice of experience talking. She'd dealt with Hermione's hair firsthand for years.

"We know. I remember. She insists every morning and they have usually started to fall out by lunch, depending on how active she is. A couple of days they haven't even lasted two hours. Severus tried doing it after her bath before bed."

Her mum closed her eyes and gave a low chuckle with a shake of her head. She clearly knew what that resulted in.

"Which leads to essentially a rat's nest," her mum said. "And tears when you try to comb it out."

"Yes," Hermione said. She had no idea her mum knew these things. Interesting. She couldn't remember having her hair all tangled as Jasmin's had been once or twice because of her mum figuring out how to make the braids stay.

"We should take a seat with them," her mum said.

"I figured Dad wanted a few minutes to talk to him without me."

"Yes," her mum agreed. Jasmin was intrigued by her mum's necklace. Ivy was holding Hermione's hand, watching curiously. As if deciding whether this was truly someone she could and should trust. Hermione felt bad that the girl had to be that cautious. Severus told her her first few weeks at Hogwarts she thought she had to stay hidden.

"Is he good to you, Hermione?"

"He is. He is … different but he is."

"Different?"

"Nothing bad, Mother. He's just," she shrugged. "I think it takes a certain type of person to be a spy and do it well. So well everyone on the side he was really working for loathed him. Many on the other side did, too. He's not the friendliest person and not easy to get to know. He had a difficult childhood and his life since his time as a Hogwarts student hasn't been a whole lot better. So, he's not warm and fuzzy."

"You're not very warm and fuzzy either."

"Exactly," Hermione said.

She leaned in, giving Hermione a kiss.

"Mama, kiss kiss," Jasmin said, waving her hands excitedly. Hermione leaned in to do just that, brushing her cheek with her thumb. She stooped then, picking up Ivy so that she didn't feel completely left out. She was really getting too big for it now. She wouldn't pick her up and carry her places anymore, but like this it was fine.

Hermione glanced in the direction of her dad and Severus. They didn't seem to be talking heatedly at least. Both men were clearly uncomfortable, though.

"We should," her mum said, also glancing at the two men. Then she got a look in her eye that told Hermione she wasn't thinking of Severus or her father any longer. "I have nothing for Jasmin or Ivy."

"It's fine, Mum. Really. I just sprung them on you," she said.

"No, we should go get dinner maybe and stop at the supermarket for some children's food on the way home. We have everything for Christmas otherwise. Maybe some biscuits."

"Biscuit," Jasmin squealed, clapping her hands together. Ivy perked up at the mention of them, too.

"Yes, that obviously settles it, we definitely need to get some biscuits."

"Mum. We're only here for a few days."

"Grandma's prerogative," she said, kissing Jasmin's cheek. "She is precious, Hermione. They both are."

"They are."

"I'm so glad you brought them here to meet us. I know it couldn't have been easy."

"Me, too," she said.

"Do you think you and Severus…"

"Mum!" Good Lord, they weren't even married! Two small girls wasn't enough?

"Just asking. It would certainly be an incentive for your father and me to move back to the London area."

Hermione's eyes widened a bit. Her parents had been pretty adamant about remaining in Australia once she'd returned their memories. Their house was gone (destroyed). Their business was gone (sold). There was nothing to go back for they'd said.

Her.

She'd wanted to yell that they could move back for her.

She knew, though, that they hadn't said that to be callous. They liked living in Australia. Hermione was living primarily in the magical world at that point. She could get here via portkey. They could catch a plane to London. It wasn't as if they never saw one another. They talked regularly.

"You'd move back?"

"We'd certainly think about it."

"Oh, well, please do think about it. I can't answer you about any other potential children, though. It's too soon. We're not," she shrugged. "Our hands are rather full at the moment, Mum."

"You do realize, Dear, the reason we didn't move back was to avoid hurting you."

"What?"

The question came out shrill. So much so that Severus glanced first at the girls and then her to ensure all was well. She appreciated him checking on them. He seemed to realize it was just a surprised utterance and that there was nothing actually wrong.

"We didn't want to be there, a constant reminder of what you'd been through and what you had to do to us. We wanted you to heal, and didn't think being so close to you would aid in that. We read the articles. We have your letters. Those are not the same as being there, as living it."

Tears formed in her eyes. She truly had no idea. She thought they'd hated her. At first she had anyway. She didn't any longer, but still thought they were intentionally being distant. As if they were scared of her or something.

"I thought…"

"We know. We probably could have gone about it better, but we didn't want you to feel guilty for us not returning either. It's not awful here, don't get me wrong. We are enjoying our lives, but these little girls need to know they're loved no matter what world they are in."

"Thank you, Mum," she said. She should be glad. They could have reacted entirely differently. This went above and beyond ‘your daughter is a witch'.

Jasmin reached for her then, evidently seeing the tears. "Mama sad. Kiss kiss," she said, and Hermione took her giving (and getting) the kiss her daughter wanted.

The four of them joined her dad and Severus in the living room.

Her dad was a little more aloof with the girls, but clearly by the end of the afternoon when they headed to dinner out they had both won him over to the point of him being rather smitten. No surprise.



Hermione wasn't sure how her parents' managed it, but somehow there were a few gifts for Ivy and Jasmin when they got there Christmas morning. She supposed grandparents were resourceful. For Jasmin there was a stuffed wombat with a book called Diary of a Wombat that Hermione was pretty sure Severus was just as interested in reading to Jasmin as she was. For Ivy there was a very pretty necklace with a charm of a koala on it as well as some supplies for school. (They knew she was currently being homeschooled.)

Severus was in receipt of bottles of gin and vodka from a local distillery. No doubt they had been something her father had for his bar. He hadn't wanted Severus to receive nothing. And Hermione knew neither bottle was cheap.

Hermione's gifts were no doubt at her flat by now. They would want her to have something to open in her flat, but her mum had given her money with the instructions to buy a necklace or something with a charm representing Ivy and Jasmin.

They took two days after Christmas to see some sights in the smallish coastal town her parents called home. It had overall been a … nice trip. Brief, but they both thought less was probably best to begin with.

Severus' hand was currently cupping her bum with her resting against his chest as they came down from their orgasms. There was something … appeasing about their lovemaking tonight. They'd survived the whole "meet the parents" and telling her parents she had children from a different universe. They were lucky she had logical parents because emotional parents would have likely resulted in a very different outcome for this trip.

"Mum mentioned they might move back to London," she murmured, kissing his chest just above his heart.

"Really?"

"Yes," she murmured, placing a kiss just below one of his nipples. It had bothered him at first allowing her to touch and kiss him in such a fashion. He really had thought she'd be … offended or put off by the scars and marks. She was pretty sure she'd proven by now they didn't bother her in the least. "I'm not sure if I'm insulted or not they wouldn't come back for me, but would for Ivy and Jasmin."

He chuckled, kissing the top of her head, his other hand not currently cupping her bum worked its way through her hair. She loved foreplay and sex. She really did, but these moments. Moments she knew no one would believe he was capable of and she'd never tell. Well, she really loved these.

"I am just grateful they didn't skin me alive."

"I wouldn't have let them."

"I know," he whispered.

"Thank you for coming."

"We didn't have much of a choice. Not really. They need to know. I needed to meet them. I wouldn't be much of a gentleman if I put it off longer than I have."

"Yes."

"Ivy and Jasmin had fun, and I am glad they will know at least one set of grandparents."

"Me, too."

"What are you thinking?" he asked a while later when she'd been quiet.

She shrugged against him and then turned onto her other side. He didn't mind because this meant instead of her bum he got to cup a breast. Maybe one day she'd get tired of it, but she really liked how … handsy he was.

"Wondering why my parents weren't an option for Ivy and Jasmin."

"Mm," he said, kissing her shoulder. "As I mentioned before, I imagine she thought it wasn't safe. For the girls or your parents. She wouldn't want to endanger any of them. Your parents would have been a very obvious choice. She'd know that, you would have too if you were presented with the decision she was. Much as you altered the memories of yours."

"I know. I also was thinking if this is how you are."

"How I am?"

"Yes, I honestly would never have pictured you as an afterplay or cuddler person."

"And that has you thinking what?" he asked, sounding confused.

"Well, if that you married that me when I was fifteen and that you was like this, I can understand why she liked it and why you would be uncomfortable with her liking it."

"I admit I have never been this …amorous … with anyone, and if we are at all similar, which I'm presuming we are. Yes, it would be incredibly offputting to have legal access to someone so accepting and equally amorous but feel in my heart that it was wrong."

"I like you amorous so don't stop."

"Gladly," he murmured.

"Hermione," he whispered a while later. She was pretty sure they were both on the verge of sleeping.

"Mm hmm."

"Thank you for giving me Christmas."

She turned to face him then, a finger going to his mouth to trace the outline of his lips. She loved feeling the stubble there. Another thing he thought would bother her. It was part of him, all of it, and she loved all of the parts that made up Severus Snape. She hadn't really done anything. Not much anyway. This just was the best time for them to come here.

"You are so welcome, Severus. Happy Christmas."

"Happy Christmas to you. And Ivy got to celebrate her new birthday with them in Australia, something she won't likely forget."

"We better not ever fall into that trap."

"What trap?"

"That her birthday is close enough to Christmas that she only needs one gift."

He snorted softly.

"Since that's not truly her birthday I should hope we do not."

"Good," she said, nodding. Glad he agreed with her. She remembered knowing a couple of kids in her neighbourhood who had birthdays on or right around Christmas and that happened a lot.

"Are you ready to go to sleep then, Witch?"

"You're the one talking to me, but yes."

Return to Top

Part 9 | Part 11

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com