***Chapter One***
January 3, 2003

Severus scowled at the empty vials waiting to be filled with enough Pepper-Up to last Poppy for a few weeks at least. He huffed in impatient frustration, fighting the urge to push his hair away from his face. That would not do. Even if he was doing this by rote these days he could not risk contamination.

The vials hadn't offended him. It was impossible for them to as they were, obviously, inanimate objects. (Though he was sure living at Hogwarts where there was a will there was a way to make even inanimate objects do something to offend him.)

What they represented did, though.

That he was here. Doing this.

Five years post-war and he was still here at Hogwarts. He'd presumed … hoped that he would be far away from Scotland and teaching the dunderheaded witches and wizards of Britain's future.

Minerva had strong-armed him into returning. It turned out that Hogwarts wasn't done with him yet, and Minerva experienced some … issues as headmistress that could only be attributed to the castle acting like a difficult child. It wanted its headmaster back. He couldn't fathom why as certainly his one year in the position had to have gone on record as one of the worst years in Hogwarts' history. (If not the worst!) He still had nightmares about the things that had been done with him seeming to authorize and condone them.

Attempting to formally resign and turn the reins over to Minerva helped but didn't cure all of the issues. That was Armando Dippett's idea, indicating perhaps Hogwarts might view him as still in charge versus having officially vacated the position. He liked to believe it wasn't Albus getting one final jab at him. He'd never know, though, because the portrait version of his former boss (and sometimes friend) would never confess to such a thing. He'd just sit back and watch it unfold and no doubt leave his portrait once in a while to laugh.

So, he'd returned to his post as potions professor under the condition (to which she agreed) that they would find out how to sever the connection Hogwarts seemed to have with him. Headmasters and headmistresses had left their post without dying before so why it was giving Minerva difficulty he hadn't the foggiest idea.

Albus was surprisingly quiet on possible solutions.

Then maybe it wasn't so surprising.

Meddling fool.

Even in death!

Irritation also stemmed from the fact that he was here in this blasted castle, alone over holiday break. He'd been invited to various homes for Christmas festivities.

He was pretty sure he shocked every Weasley on the planet when he'd actually shown up for Christmas dinner. It hadn't been awful. Talking to Arthur, William, and Charles throughout the meal and evening had eased his discomfort to some degree. He had abstained from the Order New Year's party held at Grimmauld Place.

Was this his lot in life? Truly? Alone and working away because St. Mungo's, Poppy, and a variety of other healers wouldn't hear of using another potioner's products. What had they done the year he was persona non grata? He received lots of stammering and groveling when he asked the question.

He didn't ask out of wanting people to abase themselves. Truly, he didn't as it didn't do anything but make him feel uncomfortable. He was genuinely curious as to what they had done! Clearly, they'd gotten potions somehow! They dealt with magic but potions could not appear out of thin air. They had to be brewed somehow. By someone.

Sadly, other than Christmas with more redheads than he cared to share the same room with again anytime soon, he hadn't done anything. He could have. He knew it. He'd vowed when he'd recuperated that he was done living a dull, boring life. For whatever reason he had been granted a second chance at life and he hoped to make up for his time being a fool.

He'd been a fool on many counts over the years. So many. All of the people he accused of being dunderheads. Some knew his opinion of them but some did not as he kept it to himself in some cases. There were times the past five years he thought of himself as the biggest dunderhead of them all.

He'd taken some trips the first year after the war once he'd been given the all-clear. Before Minerva had realized she didn't have the control over things she should.

They'd lacked something, though, so he hadn't had as enjoyable of a time as he'd imagined places like Greece, Italy, and Turkey should bring him.

It took him longer to realize what that was then he would ever admit to anyone.

A companion.

He didn't even care that it wasn't a romantic interest, but he didn't even have a friend to sit and talk with about what they'd seen that day.

He'd dine out and observe others obviously with companions and, well, after about the third or fourth excursion decided he didn't like feeling more morose than usual. So he'd stopped traveling unless it was work related, for Hogwarts business or potioning needs.

Pathetic.

He still had no real friends to speak of. No one he would suggest a trip with at any rate. He got along well enough with Filius and the few new male professors that were on staff these days. They just weren't take a trip abroad material.

He was no closer to having a companion either than he had been after those first trips. There were no possibilities at Hogwarts, and try as he might he couldn't bring himself to frequent clubs for such purposes. There were no female potioners he cared to get to know. He sadly didn't have any hobbies and he didn't attend things like church. (He had been raised Catholic and decided it best he never set foot in a church again. If he started confessing his sins. Well, the priest taking his confession would likely die from all that he'd done. Or from exhaustion at the length of time his confession took.)

He'd met women: muggle and magical, but there was no attraction. On their part most of the time, but there were a couple who might have been interested in him. He did not reciprocate. Sometimes both. He just wasn't made for small talk or people who were unable to string more than one coherent sentence together. There were times he thought he was too picky, and wasn't someone who should be. And yet, why should he settle for someone he wasn't attracted to on all levels? He deserved better than that.

He had never in his nearly forty years prior to the war's end thought that he deserved better than being treated poorly. It was a new thought process that he was still adjusting to. He deserved to love someone for who they were and be loved in return for who he was.

So, he found himself still alone despite having accepted the fact that he had been over Lily for many years and ready for … something. Funny what time to recuperate without Albus whispering things in his ear to keep the … guilt and sadness fresh made him realize.

Albus hadn't wanted him to be over Lily. That would have ruined his plan, which wasn't about Lily at all but rather her son. The old man had used his friend, her memory, just as surely as he'd used him.

Without Albus' constant twisting of the knife that was Severus' wrongdoings that led to his friend's death. Well, Severus had time to think, ponder, and compartmentalize so very many things.

A lot of good that did him. He could admit that he was somewhat jealous of Potter and Longbottom who were able to put their upbringings aside and find witches.

That thought led him back to here.

Hogwarts.

The students would return the day after tomorrow from their winter holiday break and the castle would be full and busy and … loud again. Two weeks of winter break was the reason for the extra Pepper-Up. Family get-togethers were great for spreading germs.

Then the little hellions would come back here and spread the germs around even more. (Some more up close and personal than others.) Twenty plus years of this phenomena, he knew precisely the levels to bring Poppy up to. With the Pepper-Up would be headache potions and cough draughts aplenty as well.

He heard a noise behind him, turning expecting to see a mouse, cat (possibly Minerva's tabby she did enjoy checking on him without making it seem she was doing so), or something else that liked to creep around the dungeons. No. That wasn't it at all. There was a light emitting from the stone wall in his lab that shouldn't have been. Literally coming from within the wall, a wall he was pretty sure there was nothing behind. And what was more, it was growing.

He drew his wand, recognizing a portal easily enough. Except it shouldn't be happening here. Through not just his but Hogwarts' wards!

He was not expecting Miss Granger to step through the portal. Or was she Mrs. Weasley now? He wasn't sure nor could he be bothered to find out as it made no difference to him what any of the Golden Trio did. (Though he did believe she deserved better.) He was pretty confident, though, that she and Ronald Weasley were not together when he saw them at Christmas dinner just over a week ago.

He was also more than just fairly certain he'd heard no news or gossip of nuptials about either of them, and he would have ad nauseum. So, presumed she was still Miss.

A younger than her current twenty-three years of age Miss Granger at that.

How did he know that?

Well, he'd seen her just over a week ago and this was not the same witch. Not much younger, but younger just the same. Her hair was also a different colour and far shorter than he could ever recall seeing it. (He vaguely wondered if he would achieve points toward showing he was attentive enough to others around him to notice her hair was different. Surely his noticing pointed toward the fact he wasn't the arse everyone believed him to be.) The scar he knew to be on her neck from her time under Bellatrix's … hospitality during the war was also missing. He knew of it because he had given her a salve he'd developed years ago that counteracted the effects of the blade the crazy witch liked to wield. It wouldn't remove the scar entirely, but it did lessen the damage.

In its place were several others he noticed at a quick glance.

They were not there at Christmas. He would have noticed and surely there would have been reports of something happening to Hermione Granger somewhere.

How was that even possible? She interrupted his thoughts of trying to figure out what was going on (not polyjuice potion) when she looked around the lab and gave him a smile.

"It looks a little different than what I am used to," she said and then stopped, giving him a smile that suggested familiarity. And affection. He recognized it well enough from observing others.

"Oh, good, he is here. I won't have to leave you with an elf after all."

She tilted her head a bit, regarding him with an ease that was both flattering and off putting. He was fairly certain the witch had never looked at him like this before. It made him a touch uncomfortable, but not in a way he was accustomed to or felt threatened by.

No witch had if he was being truthful.

He saw … genuine affection in her eyes and wondered briefly if she was under the Imperius. A young girl, about four or five maybe if he were to guess, with hair very similar to Miss Granger's normal hair blinked rapidly at him and gave him a small wave. He wasn't sure how he had missed her presence until now. This was also accompanied by a smile also indicating affection before she bit her lower lip much as he'd seen Granger do over the years. There was a look of uncertainty in her eyes now. She was holding onto Miss Granger's waist tightly. Her waist because Miss Granger's arms were full of a second child. This one far younger then the one who'd just waved and smiled at him.

So, the them in question were two children which did nothing to go toward this scene making any sense to him at all. The second one in Miss Granger's arms gave a soft sigh but appeared clueless as to her (a pink hat would be indicative of a girl) surroundings. The other girl was still looking at him concerned but with a familiarity that baffled him. Probably more than Miss Granger's, truthfully. He'd never seen these children before. Of that he was certain.

Wouldn't they have been at Christmas dinner with her?

The witch set a hand at the back of the older one, pushing her in Severus' direction.

"Come on, honey," she said. "I told you about this already. This Severus doesn't know you."

Severus was too shocked by this turn of events to say much of anything to this point. What in the hell was she doing in his lab? And where in the hell had she gotten two children?

How she'd gotten into his lab was in there, too.

"I don't have a lot of time, Severus. Please. You must take her," she said, handing the younger of the two children to him.

The her in question was very much a girl now that he saw her up close. Small. No more than maybe a year he guessed even in his woefully uneducated experience on such matters. He glanced from the - admittedly - cute girl back to the witch who had just given her to him.

"Excuse me?"

An inadequate question to the current situation. Why was she handing him these children? Why was she addressing him as Severus? Why was the older child looking at him as if he could do no wrong in her eyes?

"There's no time to explain. Please, Severus."

"Why on earth would I do what you're requesting, Miss Granger? If you're in need of a babysitter, I'm quite sure there's a horde of Weasleys who would assist you."

Her eyes widened a bit and he wondered what the look was for. She was surprised, though, that much was clear.

"Ah," she said with a nod, running her hand over the oldest child's hair in a familiar gesture. It was long and curly like (he presumed anyway) her mother's had been last he'd seen her. "I'm only Miss Granger to you here. Okay. Well then, Sir, I don't have a whole lot of time to explain but simply put because they are yours and are in danger. I had no idea where to find myself so took an educated guess I'd find you at Hogwarts here in your lab and that your wards would allow me in, which obviously they did."

She stepped even closer to him as she spoke. What in the devil was she talking about? Only Miss Granger to him? Wards allowing her in? He would damned well remember adjusting his wards to let anyone into his lab. Other than Albus Dumbledore no one had such access.

And yet she had gotten in.

He had no idea what to do with the child she'd handed him. He couldn't just put her down and the witch wasn't taking her back.

"They're after the three of us. I will try to return. I don't know if that will be possible, but I want them to live. They don't know about them. Well, they're not supposed to. They for sure shouldn't know about Jasmin. They will for sure kill me and take them if they discover they're alive."

"I would know if I'd been in the position to create two children with anyone let alone you. Go away, Miss Granger," he said, trying to hand the smallest child back to her. She took her because he really hadn't given her much of a choice. "Whatever joke at my expense you and your friends have concocted is not amusing in the least. If this is my payback for attending Christmas dinner I won't be doing so again. Now, if the empty vials waiting to be filled aren't enough of a clue for you, I'm busy and do not have time for your shenanigans."

She grabbed his wrist, tightening her hold on it for a second. He felt a spark of her magic against his skin.

"You can cast all the diagnostics on them you want. They are yours. Ours. In my universe. This is Ivy Liana," she said, gesturing to the older girl who waved to him again. This was accompanied by another shy smile. "And this is Jasmin Aileen." This was the baby.

He stood gobsmacked as she unloaded the child back into his arms. He didn't have much choice in taking her. Letting her fall. Even he wouldn't do that. She then proceeded to set a leather bag at his feet before kissing both girls. "Mummy loves you both. You behave for Mr. Snape. Remember everything I told you, Ivy. I'm sorry that you have to be such a big girl." Tears were shimmering in her eyes as she stepped away from the three of them. "I'm so sorry I don't have more time. The portal being open even this long is risky."

She turned then, returning to the portal. She was crying now. Not just subtle tears either. They were flowing in full force. If there was any doubt she did not want to be taking the measures she currently was, those tears settled it. For him anyway. She wasn't that good of an actress. She turned to them once more and blew a kiss in the older child's direction. The child returned the gesture.

"Love you, Mummy," she said. There were tears in her eyes now, too. Merlin, he did not have the time or patience for this tonight. He knew nothing about crying witches let alone children! Who in their right mind would think he would properly care for a child? Two of them!

"Miss Granger. Stop!"

"What are you going to do, Professor Snape , stun me? In front of my daughters?"

Well, put like that, no he wouldn't do that.

"Go right ahead. My wand isn't drawn, but the portal is open so anyone from over there could come through. I did not bring my daughters here just to lead death eaters right to them."

What in the hell was he supposed to say to that ?

"I'm out of time, Severus. I don't want them to trace the use of magic to where I am, where I'll come out in my world I mean. I took a huge risk doing this at all and I will have to risk using more magic so that I can apparate elsewhere as soon as I return. I calculated enough time, but I'd rather not take as much as I anticipated needing. If the portal is open much longer they'll be able to do just that. I'm doing this so that if I don't get out of this alive, which is seeming more and more likely, they'll live. There's a letter in the bag explaining things. Whatever you know of me in your world, I can't be that different from her. You have to know that I wouldn't do this without careful thought and planning. And charts. There is a chart or two in the bag. Be well."

And just like that she was gone. The portal was closed and gone within seconds of her stepping through it again.

The children were still here.

He took a moment to pinch himself. Assured he wasn't dreaming (having a nightmare was more like it) he glanced at the baby in his arms and the older girl standing beside him.

Daughters?

Was it possible?

With Miss Granger, though? Really? The very idea … She was nearly twenty years younger than he was. In what world would she willingly create a child with him?

"What is your name?" he asked the older one.

That lower lip of hers was trembling. She reached for the cuff of his shirt sleeve with her little hand, grazing his cufflink with the pad of her thumb, peering at him with brown eyes shimmering with tears. And fear. He didn't want her frightened.

"Ivy Liana Snape," she said. She stood on her tiptoes as if trying to get closer to him (difficult to do given their rather drastic height difference). She crooked her index finger at him and he found himself leaning toward her almost automatically. "I'm not supposed to tell anyone but you or mummy that," she whispered.

Good advice most likely.

"And your sister?"

"Jasmin Aileen Snape."

"How old are you?"

"Five. It was my birthday yesterday," she said.

"Was it?" he asked.

She nodded. "Mummy gave me a cupcake." She scrunched her nose a bit, squinting her eyes clearly thinking about something. Whatever it was must have eluded her as she said nothing more.

"That's good," he said, not knowing how else to respond. "And your sister's?"

She scrunched her nose again. This seemed to be a sign she was thinking. She shook her head with a shrug. He supposed it was too much to expect her to know that sort of thing at the age of five.

He noted the bag their mum had referenced. He stooped to reach for it, but then realized he could not get caught up in this yet. As curious - and confused - as he was at this turn in his evening. As much as he wanted to know about the children and what the diagnostics would show. He could not waste an entire batch of Pepper-Up.

So, first things first. He needed to finish his work.

"All right, Miss Ivy and Miss Jasmin," the child in his arms gave a soft sigh in response to that. It made him wonder if she'd heard the formal address before. "First I must finish my potion. Madam Pomfrey will be upset if she has none. Then I will cast diagnostics and see what we do from there."

He wasn't sure what he'd do whichever result the diagnostics gave him. What would he do with them? Give them to someone else? That would go over splendidly.

A father. Twice! Children seemingly left with him to be cared for.

In what world would that be a good idea?

"Dabdey," he called out.

"Professor Snape calls."

"I need something to put her in," he said, gesturing to the apparently now sleeping child in his arms. She'd been awake a second ago it seemed. Did they really just fall asleep that fast? "Quickly. I have about fifteen minutes before my potion is ruined."

He regarded Ivy as Dabdey bowed and left with a pop. She was watching him with big brown eyes.

"I trust that you are able to stay out of my way for a little while as I bottle up my potion?"

She nodded, still looking confused and frightened. He couldn't blame her he supposed. She hadn't let go of his shirt cuff yet, though, he noticed. If he was her father, did this girl understand that he wasn't really her father?

The elf returned with what looked like a portable sleeping device, smaller and not as durable as the cribs he'd seen. It would do for now. He set the baby in it, drawing the provided blanket around her knowing his lab got cold. She opened her eyes for the first time that he'd seen, sleepy and only for a brief moment, but enough for him to see them and think that they were a rather fetching shade of brown. Like her sister's.

And her mother's.

"Sleep, Jasmin," he murmured, ensuring the blanket was tucked around her. He regarded Ivy then. "Are you warm enough? Once I start working I will have to go until it's complete. So if you need something, now is the time to speak."

She nodded, hands clasped in front of her now. She'd had to let go of his hand when he set her sister in the bed-thing. She was dressed nicely in a muggle dress and shoes he'd seen many little girls wear. Black patent leather ones with buckles. Neither the dress nor the shoes were brand new in appearance, but had obviously been cared for properly. 

"Yes, Father," she said. "May I watch?"

He held back a grimace - at both the title she'd addressed him by and her question.

Oh, this was just wonderful.

"You know not to disturb me and not to touch … anything? I do not have time for endless questions."

She nodded, that lower lip trembling again.

"Fine then you may," he said, picking her up and setting her on one of his lab tables that was empty at the moment. She smiled at him.



The potion portioned out and ready to be taken to Poppy he glanced first at the bed to ensure the baby was still sleeping. Ivy had indeed been pleasantly question-free. She seemed fascinated watching him work. It was a little off putting. No one ever watched him that closely.

His eyes fell then to the bag. It was a rather nice (expensive) leather muggle backpack. He took it, realizing once he stuck his hand inside to find the letter Miss Granger mentioned that there was an undetectable extension charm on it.

Interesting.

He called out for a few things he knew babies needed. He was no expert but he'd been around them here and there.

Nappies. Extra clothes. Pacifier. High chair. Potions to aid in teething and a paste for diaper rash. Neither of which had been purchased at an apothecary. Regardless of universe it appeared he would be familiar with his own work because he knew these had been made by him. That wasn't all, certainly she'd outfitted the bag well with items a baby would require.

"Accio Miss Granger's letter," he whispered, not wanting to disturb the still sleeping baby. He hoped that would work.

It did not.

What in the devil?

And then it dawned on him. He knew about the undetectable extension charm because he knew about it. The other him. He chose to ignore the familiarity that implied and tried to access the letter again.

"Accio Hermione Granger's letter," he said.

"Accio Ivy Liana Snape's letter."

Still nothing and he sighed not liking where his mind took him.

"Accio Jasmin Aileen Snape's letter."

Nothing. He hadn't expected it to work. He knew what he had to say. He just didn't like it.

"Accio Hermione Snape's letter."

A sealed muggle envelope flew to his hand. He presumed it was the letter in question as it had his name written on it in her very familiar handwriting. Six years since he'd had her as a student - and apparently a different universe - he'd still recognize it anywhere.

He approached the playpen again and cast the diagnostic spells he knew. He could honestly say until this moment he'd never had reason to cast any such spells in his life. Even when he tended to students in the infirmary, Poppy ran the diagnostics.

The little piece of paper that appeared out of thin air was quite succinct:

Name: Jasmin Aileen Snape

Born: March 20, 2000

Height: 20 inches

Weight: 7 pounds, 13 ounces

Gestation: 41 weeks

Mother: Hermione Jean Snape (muggleborn)

Father: Severus Tobias Snape (half-blood)

Status: Married

Siblings: Ivy Liana Snape

"Miss Ivy," he said. "I'm going to cast a diagnostic on you. I promise it will not hurt."

"Yes, Father. Mummy said that you would."

He shook his head, certain this was all a dream or some sort of crazy joke. He took a breath and cast the same spell he'd cast on her sister.

Name: Ivy Liana Snape

Born: April 1, 1996

Height: 19.5 inches

Weight: 7 pounds, 5 ounces

Gestation: 39 weeks

Mother: Hermione Jean Snape (muggleborn)

Father: Severus Tobias Snape (half-blood)

Status: Married

Siblings: Jasmin Aileen Snape

It gave a few other statistics for both girls that Severus was sure meant something to others, but he didn't need to know them for his purposes. This confirmed they were his.

Theirs.

Children. Daughters. With Miss Granger. And then his eyes honed in on Ivy's birthdate.

Born April 1, 1996.

That date had him wanting to vomit.

"What have you done, Severus?"

April 1996 would have put conception sometime around late June 1995, possibly early July going by the gestation time referenced. Regardless of it being June or July she would have only been fifteen!

The date of conception fit around the time of Voldemort's return; he couldn't help but notice. Had he returned at the same time in their universe?

If so, was that significant as to why they created a child together when she was still his student?

Did it matter?

She'd only been fifteen!

He'd done a lot of soul staining things as a death eater and spy that he was sure were going to land him in the hell his Catholic upbringing taught him to fear, but even entertaining the notion of bedding a student had not been among them. He was not built that way! They weren't sexual beings. They were students. Nothing more. Nothing less. Their gender mattered little to him and did nothing to influence how he educated them.

No wonder she'd looked younger than the Miss Granger he was used to these days. (Not that he saw her often.) Given Jasmin's small stature she wasn't born nearly three years ago. That much was clear.

A crinkling sound brought him out of his self-loathing thoughts.

The letter.

Did he really want to read what it said?

Did he really want undeniable proof that he'd done something that he thought he was above?

A cough from atop his lab table (something he'd never had reason to occur before in his life) brought him out of his thoughts, and reminded him of the reason behind the letter. This wasn't about him, was it? Not really.

Best get on with it.

He broke the seal on the envelope. Noticing the wax holding the flap closed had an embossed S in it. Additional proof he'd married the witch, wasn't it?.

April 5, 2001

He now thought he understood Ivy's look earlier when mentioning the cupcake. Her birthday was, in fact, not yesterday based on this letter being written four days after it. So she'd probably been trying to put an accurate time together with what she remembered.

Dear Severus:

Where to even begin.

First, I trust you will keep Ivy and Jasmin safe. Part of my parameters for the charm I created for this task was to be brought to a version of you that wasn't embroiled in war, but also one where there was no Dark Lord. I realized the two may not necessarily go together.

I have to trust that it worked.

The Dark Lord here does not know about either of our daughters, though I think he suspects about Ivy.

You told him Ivy was stillborn shortly before she was due. He nor any of his followers can find out that she survived or that we have Jasmin.

I have been in hiding since Fall 1996 in an attempt to keep anyone from finding out about her presence. Followers were growing suspicious whether there ever was a pregnancy, talking about digging up her grave and such. Complications from her pregnancy allowed us to put off trying for another one, but we both knew it wouldn't indefinitely. We just weren't anticipating them not believing I was ever pregnant.

The plan was for you to tell the Dark Lord that I left you, fearful for my life because you were so angry that our attempts for another child hadn't yet taken fruit. Any perceived disappearances on your part, you attributed to searching for me to bring me back with you. Because no death eater would just let his wife leave. That would be weak.

You thought they bought it, but there were some death eaters who didn't always follow the Dark Lord's orders to the letter. Evidently, fourteen years without their master gave them time to become free thinkers about some things. Just not whether following him a second time was a good idea.

I fear they're closing in on finding me now. How I managed four years without being caught I'm not sure. This may mean that they know we were never actively trying for another child after Ivy's "death" as we were supposed to be doing. It could also mean they suspect that Ivy is actually alive. (They don't know I was pregnant a second time, so don't know about Jasmin at all.) I know you would never reveal that to anyone. Not even Albus or Minerva know about her, though we both had hoped they would one day.

I can't deny that I had some reservations as to whether you'd betray me in such a fashion early on, but I no longer do and haven't for years. I know without a doubt that you would never do anything to harm our Ivy or Jasmin, then or now. My universe or another one. You're not capable of allowing that to happen to innocents.

I cannot allow that … thing … to get his hands on our daughters! As far as we are aware, they are the only two children born to a death eater (I know you hate having that associated with you) since the Dark Lord's return who are not under his "care", be it Riddle House, Malfoy Manor, or other death eater homes the children are being raised in.

Perhaps I should start at the beginning as I don't know which version of you (or me) I'll be brought to. (I do wonder if there are universes where I did not accept my Hogwarts letter, but best not think about that or I'll fill this missive with my ramblings about my efforts to create the spell and charm that will bring me to you. Whichever version of you I get anyway. (Not my version I'm afraid.))

We were married June 27, 1995.

Before you overreact to this date (because I assume no matter which Severus Snape the portal brings me to that you will) let me assure you that you did it to protect me from another death eater claiming me as their wife.

The Dark Lord returned June 24 of that year and set some things in motion almost immediately, including taking over the Ministry.

Per a Ministry decree instigated by the Dark Lord in July, though no one was aware he was behind it at first. All muggleborn witches and wizards fifth year or older were to be married to pure or half bloods. Evidently fifth years were deemed old enough to make babies, not taking into account those like me with birthdays after September first. Or possibly he did and just didn't care. Who knows?

Due to your role as a spy you were aware of the decree before anyone not in his inner circle. To this day I don't know why you brought this information to Albus with regard to how it would affect me. I truly never had an inkling you thought of me at all in any capacity (not that I'm implying you thought of me romantically at the time. You did not. I just never realized you paid me and my safety much attention). You knew that I would be faced with the likes of Yaxley, Mulciber, or Dolohov. That didn't sit well with you. I suppose as I was the most prominent muggleborn witch at Hogwarts at that time and Harry's best friend, so the one who those with evil intentions would want to attempt to claim and punish.

That's my guess. Six years into this I still don't know! You are good at keeping secrets after all.

Regardless of the why of it. Headmaster Dumbledore agreed and I was presented with my options. Those options being: marry you and be able to remain in the magical world and aid the fight against the Dark Lord, be stuck with an unknown death eater who would most certainly not be a spy, or leave and run away with no guarantee I'd ever truly be safe.

You told the Dark Lord that you had initiated an affair with me before his imminent return in order to keep closer tabs on Harry due to our friendship. As a result of that affair I ended up with child, leading to our sudden elopement. It protected you from the Dark Lord believing you took inside information and did something opposing him with it. You were still punished, rather severely, but you survived. (I do think initially you would have preferred death over having to actually attempt to create the child you told the Dark Lord I was carrying.)

It was all very sudden. The headmaster approached me with the offer, I agreed, and we were married that same night. You told the Dark Lord I was with child within days because he, of course, received word of our nuptials and summoned you.

There was really no way around what we had to do to create Ivy so that you would not be caught in a lie. I assure you that you were not pleased about having to do so. You didn't say so, but I could tell my age bothered you. You are exactly the man that sort of thing would bother. I say that because I want you to know - again - that you didn't do anything wrong, Severus.

We are at war. My first time was certainly far better with you as uncomfortable as we both were than it would have been with anyone else who'd chosen me. Nearly six years later I do not regret the decision I made.

With the decree in place we would have been prohibited from using potions or charms to prevent pregnancy for the first month if they hadn't believed I was already pregnant. And evidence of attempts could have been requested at any time, which ruled out muggle condoms. Whether you wanted to or not, the expectation to attempt to procreate at least three times a week would have been there. So if you had not told him I was already pregnant there would have been that to contend with.

You never did figure out what he was doing with these children, and there have been several born by now. Or maybe you have figured it out, but didn't wish to add more dark thoughts to my mind. You are considerate like that. I can only assume he wants children to raise with his rhetoric who will then grow up to be the next generation of death eaters. I try not to think too hard on it, as the idea of so many children being raised like that and having God only knows what done to them to get them to his way of thinking is sickening.

Well, I just can't or I'd never let Ivy and Jasmin out of my sight.

You were taken away - I presume captured - two days ago from what I was told by a painting I have with me who is loyal to the headmaster and has portraits throughout various points of magical Britain. We have been separated for the most part since I went into hiding almost five years ago. We have met one day a week at my safe house, your being absent this week is how I knew to ask after you as you hadn't missed a meeting time yet in over four years. I presume you are gone as the wedding band that I wear that has been warm and pulsed in time to your heartbeat for almost six years is now cold and still. I didn't even realize how much a part of my existence the ring's pulsing came to be until it was gone.

If they discovered your duplicity, I know that they will come for me next because they will know everything they've been told has been a lie. I'm not familiar enough with tracking spells to know if our safe house can be traced from your comings and goings. I wish I'd asked you, but it just didn't seem important compared to other things. I know you exercised caution when coming to see us. I just don't know if they can discover where you've been.

That led me to where we are now: finally attempting this endeavour I'd been working on for over a year. I was hoping I'd never have to, but that hope was taken away with word you were captured.

They cannot find them.

I will not let them find them. They have such potential, Severus. Surely any Severus I bring them to would realize that is true. I will not allow harm to come to my daughters.

Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Thus my charm involving portals.

I feel the need to say some things. During our nearly six years of marriage we grew to love and care for one another. Ivy was a necessity. Jasmin was not. I had been in hiding for nearly three years before we tried for her. You were a good husband. I won't say kind exactly, not at first, but you understood this was thrust on me just as it was you. So you were patient at times and with things I know those never seeing you in private would doubt me if I told them. You were a good father, too. Uncertain at first, but as Ivy grew and clearly liked and relied on you. Well, you flourished. It was so pleasing to watch and I only regret that Jasmin didn't get to know you the same way Ivy did.

Morgana strike me down if you are alive for writing about you in the past tense.

I won't lie to you and say that either of us were perfect or that we never had disagreements. No matter the universe: you know yourself, and I presume me, well enough to know that wouldn't be the case. We both have agreed more than once over the past six years that we were, surprisingly, matched well given that under ordinary circumstances we likely would not have considered one another in such a capacity.

A mutual understanding was in place and you, despite my age and the circumstances behind her conception, enjoyed watching our daughter flourish as my pregnancy advanced. You were a little more nervous when I got pregnant with Jasmin given the escalating violence nearly a year of almost eerie quiet. Those months of quiet led to our trying for her. You were hopeful it was a sign we were finally on the brink of victory almost five years into the Dark Lord's return. You felt bad, too, that I had to contend with Ivy and being pregnant essentially alone.

I was truly humbled the first time you held each girl in your arms, but especially Ivy. It was the first time I saw true wonder and amazement in your eyes. I was so flattered to see it, knowing you would never let anyone but me see that look of pride and wonder in your eyes. No one but the headmaster and Minerva knows she exists but not even they were ever privy to those looks. And you were so good to her, Severus, the five months we lived with you. Don't doubt for a moment that you were. You weren't always emotional with her, but you got better as she did more than just sleep. Her first word was in fact Dada, which from my research is normal. So don't get big headed (again) about that! Jasmin's was, too.

I will try to return for them when it's safe, but have no idea if it will ever be safe or if I'll even survive to see that end. I take hope it will be, and if the portal works as it should I will return to my universe knowing the Dark Lord can be defeated. If he was defeated in yours that means it is possible in mine, too! I just hope I live to see it and will be reunited with Ivy, Jasmin, and my Severus.

In closing, you did nothing immoral or wrong in creating Ivy with me. (I was over eighteen when Jasmin was conceived.) Please do not think that you did. The headmaster and I absolve you of any wrongdoing so please don't feel guilty. I was there. I know what the conversation was. I know my age will bother whichever version of you I find because it bothered my you. Just know that you saved me from the inevitable cruelty, abuse, disloyalty, and likely early death marrying another death eater would have brought with it. Never mind where our children would be! If nothing else, please know I am grateful to you for that and I know that you will do whatever you can in your power to ensure our daughters survive.

Everything you could need until you get set up for them yourself is in my bag. There are also copies of some photos, in case you wished to see how Ivy and Jasmin came to be.

Reading over that sentence, that doesn't sound right at all. There are no pornographic pictures in my bag.

I meant some pictures my Severus took as my pregnancies advanced. Pictures, too, of both of them as they grew.

As Ivy just turned five I have begun homeschooling her. We didn't want to risk enrolling her anywhere. If you ask for Ivy's school calendar, the bag should give you what she's learned so far and my lesson plans for the next little while. She is very sweet and loves her daddy very much.

Jasmin is also a daddy's girl, but not to the extreme Ivy is. I think the reasons for that are fairly obvious so don't take offense or that it's an indication you're doing anything wrong. I assume you ran diagnostics on her and you see that she just turned one. She is sitting up, crawling, standing, and walking. She is a little advanced, I think in part wanting to keep up with her big sister. And chasing after Crookshanks (an activity they both enjoy and I'm pretty sure the cat does, too, though he'd never admit it).

Speaking of Crookshanks, there is a carrier in the bag containing him. I will put it in immediately before departing and put him under a sleeping spell so he should be fine. Knowing you, I count on the fact you will not leave the items in the backpack for days, however, he should be out for eighteen hours. You will be able to wake him up. I can't risk him being homeless or, worse, taken with me and abused. It would break a part of me.

Back to Jasmin. She sleeps through the night. I usually put her to bed around nine or ten o'clock and she will sleep until six o'clock the following morning. New surroundings may cause both of their sleeping habits to be disrupted right away. They have also never truly known life living with their father. Or anyone but me and one another for that matter. Please be patient.

I have recently started her on some people food: very small pieces or pureed. Ivy can assist with the size if you are uncertain. Otherwise she eats: rice cereal, vegetables and fruits, and so forth. I have not fed her any meats yet beyond a taste of something Ivy and I might be eating. I have not gotten to the point of starting her on cows' milk yet. I trust that you will consult with the healer at Hogwarts prior to doing that or anything else. I have been living as a muggle the past five years, using very little magic, so I have no insight into anything magical for either of them. (Ivy has had a couple incidents of accidental magic already.)

She does better burping seated on my lap, rubbing her back lightly than over my shoulder. If she has difficulty sleeping or is fussy for no apparent reason (not hungry, nappy not soiled, not gassy, etc.) she likes fresh air and muggle automobile rides. I realize at Hogwarts that may not be possible, but perhaps you can find a suitable substitute if needed. Otherwise, she is a rather good baby. I've been blessed twice.

Ivy at five is a little less work. Her bedtime is around ten. If she's behaving and Jasmin gets put down closer to ten I let her stay up quietly a little longer. Sometimes they both go to bed at nine because I'm exhausted. She's used to it, so don't let her tell you she never goes to sleep at the same time as Jasmin.

Last but not least, if you summon Pokey and Peter, you will be given a stuffed dog and rabbit that they both love. I couldn't send them away without them as much as I think I'll need and want Pokey and Peter here to comfort me after I do this.

Good luck and thank you, Severus, for giving me hope my children will survive.

Be well.

Hermione J Snape

He set the letter down, staring at the wall for a good while as he digested what she'd written before casting the diagnostics on Ivy and Jasmin once again.

The results hadn't changed. He hadn't really expected them to.

He sighed heavily, reaching into the backpack and calling for Crookshanks' carrier. He set it on the ground but did not open it.

"Crooks!" Ivy said, clapping.

"Yes," he said, eyeing her warily. It would be just his luck less than an hour after being entrusted to care for her she'd fall from a lab table. "You stay up there. He will likely be very unhappy so leave him alone for the time being once he wakes."

"I know. Mummy told me, Father."

"Good."

When would she be back? What was going on in her universe that there were marriage laws for witches and wizards not even of age? What was Voldemort doing making such a decree? Procreation three times a week and the children born after the decree was implemented being raised at various death eater homes would indicate he was after children and if they were doubting that universe's Hermione and Severus trying for a second one after the reported miscarriage. That would lead Severus to believe he was after children NOW. Why? Infants could not fight wars. Other than, as she said, future death eaters had to come from somewhere. How better to have a perfect death eater than to raise a child from day one with all of his teachings?

He should maybe take heart he'd found something more offensive than the fact he'd married and been intimate with a student, he supposed. Children raised to hate. Children raised to fight a war.

Yes, that was more abhorrent of an idea than marriage to a witch who - if he recalled her faculties correctly - at fifteen was probably more mature and capable of thinking clearly than some adults he knew.

Severus shook his head. He had no idea. It was hard for him to put together when he only had the facts in a letter. Voldemort had been gone from this universe for almost five years.

He stared at the cat's carrier, another thought occurring to him.

What if she didn't come back?

All questions he had no answers to. He did have one tangible thing he could focus on.

The children. And their feline companion, he supposed.

"All right, Ivy, let's go see about getting you and your sister settled in my rooms," he said with a heavy sigh. He assisted her off the lab table. "You can carry your mother's familiar in the carrier he's in?"

"Mm hmm," she said.

Of all the Severus' she could have been brought to. Why him? Did she try others and settle for him for some reason? He wasn't left with the impression she had the time to do that. So, the portal and the charm she'd created brought her here.

To him.

A Severus Snape who knew nothing about children despite the fact he'd taught them for over twenty years.

He carried Jasmin into his quarters with Ivy following alongside him. She had a careful and concentrated hold of the cat's carrier. It was as he crossed the threshold to his rooms that he realized he would need a crib and bed for them to sleep in. He was familiar enough to know babies sleep in cribs not regular beds.

"Dabdey," he called out.

"Yes, Potions Master."

"I will need supplies for both of these children. My guestroom can be used for Miss Ivy," he said, gesturing to the older girl in question. "A room with a crib and all that I will require for the baby, Miss Jasmin."

The rather young elf glanced at Severus, ears flopping nervously around the side of his face.

"I will do it, Sir. It is joyous occasion to have daughters, Sir."

"They are …" he sighed with a shake of his head. How to even explain such a thing! "Please do not go around announcing to everyone who will listen that I have children. They may return to their mother shortly."

Somehow he doubted that. If she was opening portals to other universes six years into the war, that was not a sign for things being settled peacefully let alone at all.

"Yes, Sir."

Within an hour, he had a second spare bedroom in addition to the one he'd already had. The first now seemed age appropriate for a five-year-old, complete with clothes and toys. Even pictures on the walls. The ironic part was that never in his twenty-two years employed at Hogwarts had he used his spare room.

Jasmin's room was outfitted with everything a baby could want or need. And, he presumed, everything he could need to take care of those wants and needs. Clothes and nappies were the most prevalent but there were toys as well. A crib, changing table, dresser for her clothes, and what he realized was a small bathtub that he presumed he would have to use for bathing purposes. Something he wouldn't have known if it wasn't here.

Vague images crept to his mind of his mum bathing him in the kitchen sink. So evidently, full-sized tubs were not used for small children. Until when? Ivy did not appear to be small enough to fit in the tub in question. He had not seen a larger one for her amongst her things so could only surmise she was bathing in a full-sized tub.

Good lord. What in the hell was he doing even contemplating this? He didn't even know how to bathe them!

They need protection a voice in the back of his mind said.

Well, not from or by me! I don't know the first thing about children, certainly not babies. I have a hard enough time teaching adolescents!

There are books. It is the right thing to do. The portal brought them here, to you.

He sighed, knowing that inner voice was right. He was doing it because his children or not they were his and he would protect them no matter what.

She traveled from another universe, you fit the parameters she set. She even sent her familiar. Does that scream of someone making irrational decisions?

Hermione Granger was a lot of things. Irrational was not among them. He may not want to admit that was true, but he knew it was.

***

"Why do you look like you need an entire pitcher of coffee this morning, Severus?" Filius asked when he got to breakfast the next morning. The girls were in his rooms with an elf. Thank goodness the only students in the Great Hall were the few who had stayed over break.

The Charms professor wasn't wrong. Merlin, he had no idea that infants could be so … exhausting. Jasmin woke up twice requiring a change. (So much for sleeping through the night!) He hoped this was just due to the sudden change in environment (very literally) and wouldn't be a regular happening.

Ivy had kindly woken up with him and aided him doing the nappy change as he until yesterday evening had no occasion to change a baby. He had no idea, for instance, that they would squirm and attempt to get out of one's grasp while trying to put a new nappy on them.

"Did your mummy ask you to help me, Ivy?" he'd asked during the second change.

He truly thought he'd be hard-pressed to find any five year old who would willingly wake up twice in the night to help change their younger sibling. That led him to believe she'd been instructed to do so.

"Mm hmm," she said through a yawn. She'd sounded as tired as he felt.

"Well, I thank you."

"You're welcome, Father."

"I hope tomorrow your assistance will not be required. Go back to sleep now, Ivy."

She returned to her bedroom as he settled Jasmin into her crib carefully so as not to jostle her into being more awake than the diaper change required of her.

He was no stranger to sleepless or nights of shortened sleep. It had been a few years, though, and there was a difference. He slept last night with one ear attuned for any sign of movement or discomfort by the baby or Ivy. He had rousted Crookshanks from his charmed sleep shortly before Ivy's bedtime. He had, indeed, not been happy. He did notice Crookshanks coming out of Ivy's bedroom both times the girl got up to aid him with nappy duty.

Until last night he'd never really been … responsible for anyone else. Sure, his Slytherins over the years, but he didn't have to listen for them needing something from him all night long. They were eleven to eighteen years old so could generally fend for themselves.

Ivy for her part seemed rather unaffected.

He was probably seriously misjudging her, but she hadn't cursed him or run away. She had helped him, and as Hermione's letter said, seemed rather taken with him. His actions since their arrival hadn't changed her mind apparently.

So he considered that a win.

A thought occurred to him as he took his first sips of coffee.

If he hadn't jumped up and saw to why Jasmin was fussing would she have drifted back to sleep on her own? He didn't think Hermione would purposely lie to him about her sleeping through the night. It was something to think about for tonight as her nappy both times was damp but only just and not soiled otherwise. Not that he would let her cry endlessly. Maybe Ivy could offer some insight.

"I was preoccupied last night."

***

"Severus," a knock at his quarters door came the Monday morning classes were set to start again.

The students had returned the evening before. Ivy had seen a few of them in the halls and ran to hide behind him almost immediately. The next thing he knew, she was no longer behind him. He did find her in his quarters so the panic at her disappearing suddenly and without word eased.

"No one is supposed to see me, Father," she'd whispered when he asked her why she'd come here.

"You are safe here. Your mum brought you and your sister to me with that end in mind. Now, if you wish to stay in here, that is fine, but it is not required if I bring you with me. No one here will harm you."

"Okay," she said.

The tears in her eyes, though, gave Severus a brief insight into the terror she felt at the idea someone might have seen her. Terror she'd probably lived with for the entrity of her five years. Had she ever known being able to be a little girl? Had she ever known not needing to be cautious? Or afraid?

He opened the door, glaring at Minerva. He was in no mood to start his day earlier than necessary. He'd ended up falling asleep on his sofa with Jasmin on his chest after her last bottle sometime around eleven o'clock. When he'd woken very early this morning, Ivy was sleeping next to him down by his legs. This wasn't the first time this had happened. It just hadn't been for nearly eight hours before last night.

He'd never admit it to another soul, living or otherwise, but when he woke to the sound of her soft sighs and exhalations of breath.

Well, it was just about his undoing. Ivy sounded different when she slept he noticed. He wasn't sure if it was age or something else. Still … sweet, but it was different.

"What do you want?"

Her lips thinned but her eyes told him she was … amused and not upset at his curtness.

"Dabdey says you have visitors, Severus."

Severus sighed softly. Of course the elf would tell on him to the headmistress. He had entrusted Dabdey to the girls' care when he had to be away from his rooms. "It is nothing to concern yourself with."

"It's a baby and a child, Severus!"

He'd spent what free time he had since Ivy and Jasmin's sudden arrival trying to determine where they'd come from. He was no closer to an answer today than he'd been on Friday.

Would he open the portal if he discovered where their mother had come from and he thought he could? Of course, he'd have to attempt to recreate her spell. That would take time.

Friday he would have answered yes to that question without hesitation. These were not his children regardless of what the diagnostics he ran said!

Oddly, a couple of sleepless nights should have cemented that answer. Except he spent less of his free time yesterday searching for ways to return the girls to their mother and more of it entertaining said girls.

He had fallen asleep with Jasmin on his chest Sunday morning after giving her a bottle. Ivy had taken it upon herself to get a blanket from her bedroom (pink, of course) and join him and her sister on the sofa. So he'd woken to her curled up beside him and Jasmin on his chest. That was the first time he'd woken up to both of them.

He discovered over the course of Saturday and yesterday morning as well as again last night before putting them to bed that both girls evidently liked when he read to them. Jasmin especially because it put her out no matter what. Ivy seemed too caught up in the fact her father was reading to her to risk falling asleep and missing a word.

"Did your daddy read you bedtime stories often?"

"Mm," she said with a nod. He could tell she wasn't sure of her answer.

"I suppose the nights he did he would then be gone when you woke up?"

"Yes," she said, that lower lip trembling as it was wont to do.

"He's lucky to have someone love him so much," he said.

That was when his … heart had changed his mind. This girl who didn't know from one day to the next if her mummy and daddy were going to be safe. This girl who seemed to know he wasn't truly her daddy yet still wanted to be close to him for what he represented.

"And again, it's nothing to concern yourself with."

"May I see them?"

"Why?"

"What do you mean, why? You have children, you think that I wouldn't want to see them?"

"Are you going to attempt to take them away from me? Declare me unfit? Accuse me of absconding with them illegally?"

"Severus!"

"Well," he said with a scowl.

"Of course not. Why would you think that?"

He scoffed.

"Severus. I have apologized…"

"Save it. You doubted me then, I do not need you doubting me in this now."

"I don't. I just truly would like to see your daughters."

"Very well," he said, allowing her entry into his quarters and leading her to Jasmin's room first. He really couldn't stop her from coming in.

Ivy joined them and smiled at Minerva, obviously familiar with the witch. "Hello, Miss Minnie," she said.

Minerva's eyes snapped to the girl and then to Severus who merely shrugged. Jasmin took that moment to coo softly, bringing Minerva's attention back to the baby.

"Oh, Severus," she said, regarding the brown eyed baby who was awake for the moment. "She is precious. They both are."

Severus shook his head a bit. He bet Minerva would not find her so precious having to change her nappy or when she screamed like a banshee at three o'clock in the morning. She'd only done that once thus far to which Severus was relieved to no end. This was different, too, than her waking needing a change.

Of course the one time it had happened he'd been incredibly out of his element. She'd been fed. She'd been changed. He ensured she wasn't too hot or too cold. He burped her as instructed as far as her preferred position to ensure she wasn't gassy. She took the pacifier for about thirty seconds and then spit it out and started screaming again. He'd finally gotten her to quiet down by taking her to the Great Hall and flying with her in his arms. (After ensuring Ivy was sleeping soundly and Dabdey would look out for her.)

"So it would seem."

"Do I know the mother?"

He scoffed again at that, especially as she evidently missed Crookshanks entering and then exiting the room almost as quickly. As if he knew he shouldn't be seen here. Maybe he did. Little would surprise him about this situation at this point.

What a ridiculous question.

For that matter, he didn't truly know the mother.

Not really.

He hadn't said more than a dozen or so words to the witch in six years.

He snorted at that, because apparently that Severus had done more than say a dozen words to her in the past six years.

He did know, however, how this witch would react if he told her that her precious Granger was mother to the girls. No matter the universe, he wouldn't have bollocks left afterward to actually attempt to produce his own child one day because she would hex them clear off.

"I guess not," she said with a frown. "I didn't even realize that you were seeing anyone. How long are they here?"

"I do not know the answer to that," he said. "I assure you they will not interfere with my classes or responsibilities. Dabdey and Tibly have assisted me thus far more than adequately."

She snorted none too ladylike, but he understood the reasoning behind it. Need to take on a group of death eaters, he was the man for such a task. Caring for two girl children, not so much.

"All right, I assure you that I will do my best not to let them interfere with my classes. Is that better?"

"And their mother is not here?"

"Do you see anyone else here?" he asked with a shake of his head.

"No reason to be short with me, Severus. It's a sincere question."

"Well, clearly she is not here."

"May I hold her?"

"If you'd like," he said.

He watched as Minerva, perhaps uncomfortably but clearly more capable than he was at it, picked Jasmin up.

"What is her name?"

"Jasmin. Jasmin Aileen," he said. "Her sister is Ivy Liana."

She regarded him for a moment and he knew what she was thinking.

He gave both of his children the name of a flower. It was the first thing he'd thought of when he took the time to contemplate that either child was actually his. Well, a version of him. Some might not realize Jasmin was. Ivy though without a doubt. He didn't know how her name came to be but he couldn't believe no matter the universe that he would be stupid enough to have any thought of Lily Potter involved in the naming of his child. Especially when the mother of said child was his wife.

Her name seemed … appropriate, though. He didn't put a whole lot of stock in what names meant being a reflection on one's personality or anything like that. (Though his name's meaning of stern did seem incredibly fitting.) Ivy symbolized fidelity and faithfulness and Liana was to climb like a vine. Since Ivy was a ground-creeping plant, which was in essence a vine, he thought Liana was a suitable second name. Whoever had chosen her name seemed to have chosen well. The same went for Jasmin Aileen, the middle name a nod to his mother no doubt.

"What?" he bit out. He was not going to stand here and allow the witch to cast judgment on him for something he hadn't even been involved with. In any capacity, creating or naming them!

"Nothing. It's pretty," she said.

He nodded simply, watching as she held the child who was for all intents and purposes his daughter with such ease. She didn't have children either so how did she know just how to do it?

Baffling.

And it made him feel incredibly inept.

Ivy for her part was standing beside him, her head resting against his hip. Her little hand was toying with his cufflink, a habit she seemed to do often whether she was aware of it or not he hadn't a clue. She watched ‘Miss Minnie' hold her sister. He offered a slight smile, settling a hand atop of her head. How odd this must all be to her. When was the last time she'd seen her Miss Minnie, he wondered? It didn't sound as if they'd seen anyone but Severus for years.

"Are you going to bring them to meals?"

"I don't think that would be wise, do you?"

"Why ever not?"

"I should think that would lead to questions as I am unmarried."

"It's 2003, Severus not 1953. I don't care, though I do hope you'll make an honest witch out of the mother one of these days."

He grimaced. Why did she assume their mother was a witch? He doubted that would happen anytime soon regardless. Not to mention the mother in question was already married.

To him.

In another universe.

He tilted his head back then and laughed.

Was this some perverse joke at his expense after all? He remembered vaguely a television show his parents had watched in his youth that was about people pranking the public.

Was Albus getting a last poke at Severus even though the man had been dead almost six years now?

Minerva looked at him oddly. No doubt wondering what he was laughing at.

"I will think on it, depending on the length of their stay, Headmistress."

"Of course."

She set Jasmin back in her crib and walked toward Severus, attention moving to Ivy.

"Hello, Ivy, it's nice to meet you. I hope you and your sister have a good stay with us here at Hogwarts."

"You, too," she said, staring with wide eyes at the witch. She looked at him then, her brow furrowed. "She's the headmaster?"

"Headmistress, but yes," he said. Minerva had heard the question, he saw the slight quiver of her lips at being called headmaster. She was amused not insulted. If Ivy had been twenty instead of five she'd likely be insulted.

"All right, I have to get on with my day. If you need anything, Severus."

"Thank you, Minerva."

She left then and Severus was left staring at the door to his quarters, curious if that had actually just happened. She hadn't quizzed him or given him the second degree. She hadn't ranted at him that he wasn't fit to take care of Ivy and Jasmin.

That surprised him. Who in their right mind would think he was capable of taking care of an infant and small child?

"Father?" Ivy's voice came, bringing him out of his thoughts.

"Yes, Ivy?"

"Where's Uncle Albus?" Ivy asked.

"Albus is still the headmaster for your mum and dad?"

"Yes," she said. "He helped mummy and that father."

Severus grimaced at that. He could just imagine the kind of help that Albus provided them. Marrying Severus off to a fifteen year old was a preposterous way to protect students!

How to approach this. "You are aware there is a war in the magical world?"

She nodded, biting that lower lip. "Mummy and Father say I can never say his name, but he's a bad wizard."

"Yes, that's very good advice. Not saying his name I mean. He is no longer in this world we are in. The war ended in 1998. It's currently 2003. However, Albus did not make it to the end of the war."

"He's dead?" There was a shrill tone to her voice and tears in her eyes.

He stooped then. "Yes. There is a portrait of him in the headmistress' office. Perhaps one day we can visit it."

She collapsed into his arms then. Well, that is to say, she basically fell against him and he had no choice but to catch and hold her or she would have fallen. He wasn't sure what to do with this show of emotion and vulnerability. Who knew Albus would affect a child so much?

"He was Father's best friend," she sniffled against the front of his robes.

"He was my only friend," he admitted against the top of her head. "I am sorry you were unable to say goodbye to him. I'm sure your Albus, the one there with your mummy and daddy, is fine."

She nodded, sniffling and he huffed. This was hard! Should he have lied? She would have figured it out or heard it from someone else. So, no, that didn't seem to be the best course of action. He certainly didn't want her to believe she couldn't trust him.

"I'm going to check on your sister," he murmured. "It gets cold and drafty in these rooms."

He stood then and returned to the crib, regarding the sleeping infant inside of it. He drew the blanket up around her a touch more than Minerva had arranged it.

"Let's see to breakfast in the other room while she rests, shall we, Ivy?" he asked.

She took his offered hand, well really her hand was small enough she clutched his pinky and ring finger, and walked with him out of Jasmin's room without question.

Return to Top

Part 2

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com