***Chapter Six***

April 2012

They sat separately on the train. They had to. While it was pretty well known around Ilvermorny that they were sisters, no one had actually said anything. Not even their teachers or the headmaster. Harry and her mom were meeting her, well Mia, at the platform. They couldn't see the two of them together.

Eden sat with Leo and two of his older sisters. They'd sat with Mia and Leo on the way to school in the fall. Eden, for her part, was fiddling with her fingernails. She had to stop that, but she wasn't used to them being unpainted. And short. They weren't cut to the quick, but were shorter than she was used to.

They'd tested Leo five times before today. They always told him to expect something in the next day or two when they decided to try. Neither wanted him to think every day, all day that he could be talking to either of them pretending to be the other one. That wouldn't be right, and both sisters knew he talked to them about different things sometimes.

Mia had grown her fingernails out and last night Eden had painted them for her. She couldn't believe Mia had never painted her nails before! Her dad never understood why she wanted to, but he never balked about buying the latest dark color that came out. She didn't wear black, she wasn't goth or anything. She just preferred dark green, blue, or red. Even dark yellow was nice. She just wasn't fond of bright or flashy colors.

"Will it be warm at home?" Gretchen asked.

Eden's eyes shot up, glancing at Leo who shrugged. Was there a reason his sister was asking her that? He was clearly telling her that he didn't think the question was asked because Gretchen didn't think she was Mia. She took a deep breath. She could do this. From how Mia described where they lived in Minnesota, it wasn't vastly different from where she'd been living with Dad for the past couple of years in Canada.

"Um," she said. "Warmer than in December."

It was kind of a snotty answer, and she didn't mean it to come out sounding that way. She just had no idea what to say. She hadn't been expecting a question like that! And on the train, by one of Leo's sisters!

Mia told her how cold it got where they lived in the winter sometimes. Eden and her dad lived all over the place, so she didn't really have one place to worry about. They'd lived in warm places in winter and they'd lived in cold places. Canada could be pretty cold, though.

Threna nodded. "Yes! It's finally spring. I don't think we're as cold as you are, though."

"I don't think so either," Eden said.

She never imagined anyone would ask her such a question. Her mom and grandparents lived there, so they wouldn't. She expected her friend, Jeremiah, might ask about her winter this year compared to what she usually had. That she was prepared for. Mia wasn't sure she'd see Jeremiah. Mia said he lived near Grandma and Grandpa, so these two weeks when it could still be cold, he may not be outside.

The two sisters talked, seeming to leave Leo and Eden to do the same while the train made its way toward New York.

"Can I meet your mom, Mia?" Threna asked once the train arrived and they were deboarding.

"Uh, yeah, sure," Eden said. What could she say? No, I'm, in fact, meeting her for the first time in my life, so I'd prefer you not?

"Thanks, I know Leo wants to see Harry Potter again, so our parents will wait for us."

"Oh, right," Eden said, glancing at Leo who blushed a bit. Eden thought it was kind of sweet he had a hero. A hero who was someone he could meet. Not everyone could say that.

Leo said he'd go with Eden because he'd met her mom before, so he didn't think it would seem weird.

"There she is," Eden heard Leo whisper at the same time a female said the exact same thing. Eden's breath caught and she felt tears form in her eyes. That would not do. Mia wouldn't cry at seeing her mom. Then, maybe she would, not having seen her since September first.

"Oh, she's so pretty," Threna said from behind Eden, echoing her thoughts. She was pretty sure she'd never seen anyone more beautiful in her life. They definitely had their mom's hair. Well, the way it looked and felt. Both of them had hair almost as dark as their dad's.

She wrapped her arms around her mom as soon as she was close enough to.

"Oh, Mia," her mum - mom -  said.

"Hello, Leo, right," Eden heard Harry Potter say.

Her mom's best friend. Her dad's one-time best friend's son. How weird that was.

"Yes, Mr. Potter, it's nice to see you again."

"Harry is fine," he said. Eden couldn't help but smile against her mom's chest at that. That likely made Leo's day.

"Mom, this is Leo's sister, Threna."

"It's so good to meet you, Ms. Granger. I was mad at Leo that he hadn't told me who Harry Potter was with on the platform in September."

"Oh, well, I'm sure Leo didn't do it deliberately. It was fairly busy that day. It's nice to meet you, too, Threna."

"We are so lucky to have your daughter in Thunderbird."

"She has spoken very highly of you, too. You have two other sisters going to Ilvermorny, too, right?"

"Yes, Gretchen is fifth year, I'm third, and Martha is seventh."

Her mom nodded.

Her mom nodded.

How totally weird was that to think. She wanted to scream it from the platform. And then her mom kissed the top of her head, similar to what her dad did. Yet different. She smelled different.

Obviously.

Her mom wasn't her dad, so of course she wouldn't smell like him. It was one of those things others might not notice. Scent. She'd learned from her dad, though. Every thing had a smell. Every one had a smell.

"Are you ready to head home then, Mia. I know Grandma and Grandpa are excited to hear all about your year so far."

"Yes," she said.

She'd meet her grandparents tonight, too?

She wiped her cheeks, hoping Harry Potter or her mother hadn't seen she was crying. Or wouldn't wonder why she was, if they did see.

"Oh, my, look at you," her mom said, taking one of her hands in hers.

"What?" Eden asked. Did she do something wrong already?

"Nothing, honey, I've just never seen you with nails. They look so nice."

Eden shrugged, trying to remain casual. Mia didn't paint her nails because she was so active all of the time. She had more time and was less physical at Ilvermorny. That was the story they'd gone with. "I decided to try growing them out for a change."

"Well, I suppose you don't have much reason not to. I know Mrs. Patton always scolded me to keep them short."

"Yes," Eden said with a nod.

Mrs. Patton, her sister's piano teacher. Mia told her about her, but assured her that her mom wasn't going to make her sit and play the piano for her. Eden had taken lessons, too, but she wasn't exceptional. Years of moving around meant no consistency in her lessons. She'd played more at Ilvermorny the past few months than she had in years, though.

"Not many pianos at school, I guess."

"No," Eden said.

"Can I get a hug before we go, Kiddo?" her godfather asked.

"I suppose," she said, ducking her head. Mia had mentioned Harry liked to tease her with Kiddo.

"And where is Beanie?" he asked once he let go of her.

"Right here," she said, gesturing to the carrier that held her sister's familiar.

This was the only crimp in their plan. Beanie evidently could tell the difference between Mia and Eden. Eventually, they'd become friends, but Beanie was not nearly as fond of Eden as she was Mia. And it was pretty obvious that was the case.

"She has gotten big."

"She has," Eden agreed. She hadn't really seen Beanie much before Christmas break, but she could see a difference between then and now for sure.

Eden turned then and hugged Leo. She was glad he hadn't left yet. "See you in a couple of weeks."

"You'll do great," he whispered into the hug before drawing away. "Stay calm, but have fun! Call if you need to."

He and Threna walked away, presumably toward their parents. Eden didn't know them, but she saw Gretchen and who she presumed was Martha together with two adults. She shook her head a bit, at the realization that there were eight more daughters. These four still in school were only one fourth of the children their parents had.

Did her parents want more children? Their mum was only thirty-two… That would be really weird. But, if her dad still wore his wedding band like Mia said. And if she and Mia could figure out a way to get their parents to see one another. Well, maybe a brother or sister wouldn't be terrible, would it? She shook her head. Yes, it kind of would. She didn't want a baby interfering with her getting to know her mum. She suspected Mia would say the same thing!

So, no, she wasn't hoping for a brother or sister. Ever. Twelve, or more, years between children was too long anyway. Wasn't it?

Soon, they were at an apparition point and Eden was on her way home.

To a home she'd never been to! Thankfully, Mia had some pictures of things, so Eden wasn't completely in the dark as to what to expect.

She was on her way home! With her mom!

She almost started laughing from giddiness when her mom slid her arm around her to apparate her. Her mum and Harry both must have heard her, because she got an odd look from them both. She shrugged, hoping they'd dismiss it as her being excited to see her mum for the first time in eight months.

"See you at your house," Harry said with a wink before he spun away.

She and her mom weren't far behind him.

It was … different apparating with her mom versus her dad. Dad was so much taller than her that it could be awkward after she got big enough he couldn't carry her anymore. Mom wasn't nearly so much taller.

It was nice.

She took a minute to get her bearings about her once they arrived. Mia told her that they had a barn on the property that they used as an apparition point. Mia described it, so she knew what to expect.

She was at her mom's house! In a minute or two she'd be inside that house! It was so weird. Thinking about it, suggesting the plan that they switch. Well, it wasn't quite the same as actually doing it and being here.

She'd never been in a barn in her life until now. It wasn't really what she pictured. They had no animals, Eden knew that. There probably should be. There were stalls, bales of hay, and everything. As if it was just empty space, waiting for some animals to occupy it to make it live again.

It wasn't in use. Mom used it to store things, Mia said. Old skis, snowmobiles, and stuff like that.

Mia made snowmobiling sound so exciting. She hoped one winter to be able to learn how. Mia said that while there might still be snow on the ground near their house over Easter holidays, it wouldn't be good for snowmobiling.

She walked up to one of the ATVs, running a finger along it. Mia said she loved riding on them.

"You still can't drive one," her mom said.

Eden laughed softly.

Mia said that her (their) mom wouldn't let her drive one until she was at least fourteen. Mia thought they looked really fun. Her mom had two. One for her, and one for her parents if they ever needed it. Harry used the second one sometimes. Eden wasn't sure they looked very fun. She knew lots of people thought they were. She had no deep desire to ride on a motorcycle either, even though her dad owned one. Back in Britain. She'd never seen it, but he'd offered to take her for a ride anytime.

"I know," Eden said. She sniffled softly as she took in everything in the barn.

Skis, ice skates, snowmobiles, boxing equipment like a punching bag and various jump ropes. Clearly, differing sizes for Mia as she grew. Her twin was a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and boxed, too. The punching and speed bags were the same as they'd been for years now. Mia said her (their) grandpa adjusted the height of the speed bag as she grew taller. There were things like canoes and kayaks in here, too.

Those Mia told her would be out at the lake come May. Morgana, how had they accumulated all of these things? She and her father really didn't have much. Moving from country to country frequently ensured she knew not to get attached to things.

"Are you okay, Mia?" her mom asked, bringing Eden out of her thoughts. It didn't mean her dad was a bad father. He was just a minimalist. He really didn't enjoy holding onto things. She suspected, after reading about the Wizarding Wars, and his role in them, that it went hand in hand with him realizing he'd held onto Lily Potter for far too long. (He essentially said as much the one time he'd discussed Uncle Harry's mum with her.)

"Yeah," she said. "I didn't realize how much I'd miss this stuff."

"I missed you, too," her mom said. She wrapped her arms around Eden from behind, kissing the back of her head. "I like what you've done with your hair. I guess between it and the nails, that's an indication my little girl is growing up."

"Thanks," Eden said.

"So," Mum said, stepping away.. "Easter Beagle time?"

Eden smiled. She'd never seen the show, but Mia told her that she and her mom watched It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown every Easter weekend.

"I figure you're probably tired from classes and stuff, and I know we're going to be busy tomorrow doing eggs and everything. So, get Snoopy out of the way tonight so we don't forget."

"Yes," Eden said. She couldn't wait! She knew who Snoopy and Charlie Brown were, just wasn't familiar with this particular special. (There was a Thanksgiving one, too, evidently.)

"All right." Her mom turned and looked at Uncle Harry then. "You'll man the popcorn?"

"Of course," he said, giving an exaggerated bow.

The three of them headed toward the house. Eden couldn't believe how much property they had here. Mia described it, but it wasn't the same as seeing it with her own eyes. It wasn't hundreds of acres or anything, but it was a lot.

The house itself was fairly old. Mia said it was from the 1920s. The Grangers, her grandparents, decided to leave Australia for here when Mia was still pretty little. Her mom and sister lived with the Grangers until Mom found this house when they were a little older than four, Mia said.

"Hey, Cooper," Eden said to the barking dog who greeted her. She offered him her hand, but he wouldn't stop barking.

"Cooper," her mom said. "Go on outside before you make Mia think you didn't miss her, too."

He wouldn't budge. Neither of them had thought about Cooper, which they maybe should have given Beanie's reaction to her. Eden stooped then, petting his ears gently. "It's okay, Coop. I missed you, buddy. I'm sorry I was gone for so long."

He gave a whimper. Eventually, licking her cheek.

"Yeah," she said, giving a laugh the more enthusiastic he got. "Hi, Cooper. Do you need to go outside?"

He gave a woof and Eden let him out, following Harry to where she knew the kitchen was based on the rudimentary map Mia drew for her. Her mom had gone upstairs. The bedrooms were upstairs.

"So, your first seven months are done. How's it going so far?" Harry asked. He was obviously very familiar with the kitchen and where things were. Eden tried to enjoy the moment and not be jealous that Mia had such regular access to her mom's friend. Dad just didn't have friends, at least none that he ever brought home with him. She knew he had business associates that he shared dinners with to discuss things.

"Before you start telling me about school. Butter is obvious. You can't have popcorn without butter. Brown sugar? Or salt?"

"Brown sugar."

"Excellent choice. You are your mother's daughter," he said with a wink. "Now. School."

"It's fine," she said, watching as Harry got butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and baking soda out and started making the concoction. He very obviously knew his way around here.

"Top grades?"

"Yes. Well, one of two. She's in the Horned Serpents. There's a third girl, also a Serpent, who's getting some good grades, too. Ilene. They're friends, I think."

"There's someone getting top grades with you?"

"Yes."

"Is she really as smart as you, or are you slacking?" She couldn't tell if he was being genuine or not. Until he winked. "I won't tell your mom if you are."

"No, she's pretty smart, too."

Harry regarded her then. Searching for something, but she had no idea what.

"Do we like or hate them?"

She gave a soft chuckle at Harry's question. She knew what he was implying. If Mia didn't like the other girl, he wouldn't either.

"She's pretty nice."

"Okay, good. I mean, I'm glad. I just wasn't sure if I should, you know, hate her on your behalf or not. That's very mature," he said with a nod. "Favorite class?"

"Mm," she said. "I like them all." That wasn't a lie. It was still so early yet for her to pick a favorite.

Harry laughed. "Definitely like mother, like daughter."

"Was there anything she wasn't good at?"

"Other than Divination, you mean?"

Eden laughed. "Yeah, other than that."

"No, not really. She wasn't that interested in Care of Magical Creatures, but I wouldn't say she wasn't good at it."

She talked about her classes, her friends. There was really only Leo, and Mia. Some of Mia's friends accepted her, but she wouldn't call them friends. She and Ilene got along. She couldn't tell Harry about her. She'd mentioned her earlier, in case she came up, so it wouldn't seem random. Of course, she was here as Mia, so she told him all about the Thunderbirds she was learning quidditch from.

"I shouldn't be surprised you like quidditch," her mom said when she joined them in the kitchen. "Sorry, I took so long, I just wanted to let Grandma and Grandpa know we made it back okay. They may have missed you more than I did at Christmas."

"Really?" Eden asked.

"Yes. They know you know there's no Santa, but I think they still like being able to play Santa."

Eden nodded.

"Oh, you added brown sugar to the butter," she said, kissing Harry's cheek.

"It's what Mia ordered."

"She is a girl after my own heart, after all."

She'd never had popcorn with butter and brown sugar on it, but Mia said it was a favorite of her and her mom's. And it sounded interesting. Mia had described it as being like homemade caramel corn. Watching Harry prepare it, it did look good. And smelled good, too.

Her mom hugged her again, kissing the top of her head as she smoothed down her hair. Eden realized she was probably too old for the gesture, but she liked it and couldn't find it in her to pull away.

And while her mom was hugging her this time, Eden spotted a necklace around her neck.

That wasn't unusual.

The ring that looked almost exactly like the one Mia described she saw their dad wearing in pictures was, though. It was on the tip of her tongue to ask about it, but she knew she couldn't.

Or rather, shouldn't.

If their father had come up with a charm preventing Eden from seeing the wedding ring he continued to wear, their mom could certainly come up with one to block her from seeing the ring on the chain. She'd read enough to know that Hermione Granger was a whiz at charms. Their father, while reputed to be one of the most powerful wizards left standing at the end of the wizarding war, was more of a spells and potions person.

"I love you," she whispered.

"Oh," her mom whispered, kissing the top of her head again. "I love you, too, Mia. I'm so glad you decided to come home. This big old house isn't the same without you in it."

Her mom went to let Cooper in. Eden forgot he was out there! She wasn't used to dogs or cats. She certainly wasn't used to magical cats. Evidently, Beanie was the last of a litter, and one the magical pet store didn't think they'd be able to get rid of.

It made Eden wonder if she would recognize a magical cat versus a regular cat in general. Would anyone know what to look for? Eden wouldn't have. She'd never really thought about it. She'd read about kneazles, but hadn't seen one until she met Beanie. She hadn't really thought much about magical pet stores existing. Their dad had an owl, but she just never stopped to think about where he got it from. He'd always had an owl, that she knew of anyway, so why would she?

Eventually, the caramelized popcorn made, they made their way to the living room where Eden sat on the sofa with her mom and Harry, watching a Snoopy Easter special that lasted twenty-five minutes. It was clearly for smaller kids, but she laughed (so did her mom and Harry). And, well, she was watching it with her mom. She was pretty sure she'd be happy doing anything.

After the video, her mom asked her what she wanted to do with her vacation.

How to even answer that question!

She didn't really care, as long as she was with her. She was looking forward to meeting her grandparents on Sunday. She and her dad had never really done anything special for holidays. They were just another day. She got presents for Christmas and everything, but there wasn't really a lot of celebrating. He decorated, but she always got the sense it was for her benefit rather than anything he really wanted to do. It was how he was.

*****

Mia sat in her father's personal lab, staring as he worked. She had a book, but it was currently in front of her, where it had been since she'd come in here. Untouched. Her mom was good at potions. Probably better than good. She wasn't exceptional , though. Even her mom would say so. She followed the instructions for the most part, and just never pushed beyond what was in front of her eyes.

Mia didn't find that bad or anything.

Her mom wasn't a potions mistress. She wasn't teaching the subject. The potions she made were rather basic. Even Mia knew that. She just wanted to help people where she could.

Her father, though.

Well, he was a potions master and had taught the subject for years.

And it showed.

Professor Walker looked like a complete amateur compared to her father.

He was flawless and, well, made it look easy. To think Eden had grown up with this at her disposal. No wonder she was a whiz at potions. Mia, for her part, had to work hard at the ones that went above what Mom taught her.

Odd to think, where Eden and Dad were currently living in Canada, they were only about twelve hours north and a bit west from where she and Mom lived.

They'd lived north of Saskatoon for about two years. No wonder Eden knew all along she'd end up at Ilvermorny. If they'd been living in Quebec, maybe Beauxbatons would have been an option. Still doubtful.

To think, if their father had gotten his way, she wouldn't have met Eden. She wouldn't be here right now either. Watching him work. And, honestly, she was pretty sure there was nowhere else she'd rather be right now.

"Don't you have something better to do?" This was asked as if he just read her mind. She didn't think he'd do that, so assumed he just asked a question that happened to coincide with her mood at the moment.

She loved his voice. She listened, almost entranced as he read various things aloud. Checklists that sounded more like he was going from memory than actually reading something, but it was … dreamy.

"Hmm?"

"Not that I don't enjoy having you here, but surely after months of being away and under stricter rules than I make you follow, there's something you'd like to do."

"Like what?" she asked. She couldn't imagine wanting to do anything but exactly this.

"I don't know. Surely something more enjoyable than sitting here in my lab all day."

"No," she said.

"Well then, come, make yourself useful."

She perked up at that, sliding off of the stool she was sitting on. She stood to his left. She tried not to stare at the wedding band on his left ring finger. What kind of spell or charm had he come up with to hide it from Eden? And apparently only from Eden? Leo was able to see the wedding band in pictures, too.

And why did he still wear it? If they'd gotten married for the sole purpose of that decree and been at the very least separated for nearly twelve years. Why would he still wear it?

"What is with you today, Eden?" he asked. He wasn't scolding her, but was clearly curious. She had to be careful. She would not ruin this plan by doing something dumb.

"Nothing, Daddy."

"Mm, I think that I don't believe you."

She looked up at him then, wondering what she'd done wrong. His eyes were intense as they regarded her. Nearly black. She'd never realized black eyes were an actual thing until seeing his. She knew they weren't really black. They were just so dark brown they appeared black. If she looked real closely (not that he'd let her), she'd no doubt see a slight difference between his pupils and irises. Neither she nor Eden had eyes quite as dark as his.

Almost, but not quite.

Why didn't he believe her?

"You haven't called me daddy for a couple of years."

She leaned her head against his left arm, taking a deep breath.

"I just missed you."

"You elected not to come home for Christmas," he murmured. Again, he didn't sound upset or anything. That was a relief.

"I know," she said. She felt worse about him being alone at Christmas than she did about Mom. Mom had her parents. And yet Eden made it sound as if he didn't do a whole lot for holidays.

"Was it worth it?"

She didn't want to, but she lifted her head from its place against his arm and met his eyes. She'd spent two weeks with Eden. She got to talk with her sister. She got to learn about this man.

Was it worth not going home? Did Eden think so?

She knew her answer.

"Absolutely."

"Well, then. That is good. I didn't realize you had an interest in quidditch."

"I don't, but flying…"

"Yes," he said with a nod.

There was a glimmer in his dark eyes that told her he understood what she meant. In truth, it was interesting that Mia ended up with their mom, a witch who did not like flying or quidditch and Eden ended up with their dad who seemed to like both. Eden wasn't afraid of, or loathe, flying. She just preferred not flying.

He nodded a bit, eyes still taking her in. He gave a soft huff then, nodding his head slightly.

"Well, Daddy is certainly still acceptable."

That was a relief. That would be an awful way to give herself away!

"Thank you," she said.

They went to work then. As Eden had said would be the case, her responsibilities were primarily chopping and crushing. She did get to stir a few, though. Potions he knew she would have experience making herself by now.

It was so quiet here. They had no pets. There was no music or TV on in the background. Their mom always had something on in the background. She said it was for Crookshanks and Cooper, but Mia suspected she just didn't like complete silence.

Easter Sunday came, and she was frustrated because they hadn't said or done much of anything. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do, but something. She wanted to remember this holiday break for the rest of her life. She wanted it to be special. The best Easter break ever.

"What is this?" he asked when he came down for breakfast to see the small Easter basket she'd put together for him.

It wasn't even a basket. She asked the manager at the store she'd gone to yesterday if she could take a taller box home with her that was empty. He'd seemed glad to be rid of it.

"What do you mean?" she asked. She had no idea if he was surprised or angry. Both? Her mom was so easy to read. Her father was not. At all.

"Eden." She had no idea what that tone meant. He wasn't angry, but he was definitely something.

"It's an Easter basket," she said cautiously.

"Why?"

"Because it's Easter?"

He stared at her for a moment. She felt herself bring her hand to her nose and, despite his scowl, couldn't stop herself from doing it. Scratching it.

It wasn't a huge basket. She boiled a couple of eggs and decorated them with some markers she found in Eden's room. She'd gone out to a nearby store and bought a couple of treats. It was a small store to go with the rather small town, so there wasn't a huge selection. They had no baskets. Thus the empty box. And she truly had no idea what he'd like. She guessed based on treats she'd seen her friends' dads eat over the years.

She held her breath as he slid a finger through the shredded paper she used for the grass (colored green with a marker) toward the bottom of the box. Had she made the biggest mistake of her life? Ridiculous that she'd think that about an Easter basket.

It wasn't that big of a basket. A handful of boiled and decorated eggs, a bag of Skittles, a Snickers bar, a chocolate covered peanut butter egg, and a couple bags of different flavored chips. So it wasn't the size and huge amounts of contents making him not say anything. It was incredibly lame, in her opinion, but she hadn't had the chance to buy anything before coming here. She honestly hadn't even thought about it until she got here. She felt sort of bad about that. She'd just never really stopped to think amidst all their planning to realize she'd be with him on Easter.

He dropped his hand to his side and she swore there was a scowl on his face.

"I cannot … do this today, Eden," he murmured, almost as if he was saying it not to her, but rather himself.

He shook his head then and, with his back ramrod straight, left the room without even looking at her!

What was she supposed to do with that?

She couldn't stop the tears from falling. She didn't even have Beanie, Cooper, or Crookshanks to go to for comfort. She knew it wasn't perfect, but she'd done the best she could with what she had available to her.

She stared at the basket through the tears, wondering what was wrong with it. What couldn't he do today? Was she supposed to understand what that meant?

She grabbed her coat and scarf, slid her snow boots on, and went outside. She found what looked to be a pretty old fallen tree, brushed off the snow from the trunk and sat. She wasn't sure if she was crying that hard or if the cold was making it worse. It wasn't as cold as she'd expected for Canada, but it was still less than fifty degrees, whatever that was in celsius. Eden would likely know because she'd lived all over to need to know such a thing.

She didn't want to hate him, but he was making it very difficult to like him.

*****

Severus closed the door to his study, locking and warding it with a wave of his hand before heading to the closet where he had a muggle safe. There, he cast a notice-me-not.

Usually he didn't have to worry about Eden coming in here, but teenagers were curious. He hadn't ever thought she'd surprise him with an Easter basket either. And try as he might to pretend it wasn't happening, she was almost twelve so closing in on those years more quickly than he'd like. He remembered the things her mother got up to very plainly. Not to mention what he had done at her age.

He wasn't hiding anything, but she didn't need to know he had a safe in his study. She certainly didn't need to know or grow curious about what he kept in it. Anything she might need, in the event something happened to him, was in his Gringotts vault. The safe was for things he just wanted near him. Items she didn't need to know about at this curious age. There were instructions for her mother, or Harry Potter, to retrieve it should something happen to him.

He knelt on the floor as he spun the dial: three times to the right, two times to the left, and then one more time to the right before twisting the lever and opening it.

He removed a few items before finding what he was after with an almost shuddering sigh. For a moment, he wondered if he'd errantly thrown it out. He didn't remember doing so, but he got in moods sometimes where he got rid of unnecessary things. (That he barely had any unnecessary items made those times somewhat frustrating.)

He sat on the floor, cradling the wooden basket he'd been given for Easter twelve years ago.

He had gotten her nothing. It was a ridiculous holiday, one meant for children. How on earth was he to know she'd … expect something? Or give him something? He wasn't a child!

He learned, a year later, when shopping for a basket for Eden, that she had likely made this basket for him versus having bought it in a store.

He'd never been given anything before.

Oh, sure, they exchanged benign Christmas gifts the December before she'd given birth. They were husband and wife. It was … expected. She'd gifted him a handful of new cravats and ascot ties that were made of cashmere. The silk ones were irritating to his neck. He'd mentioned that, and she'd sought to correct that because she knew he preferred to wear something than to go without.

Since that gift, he'd never bought a silk cravat or ascot again.

So it had been practical. Nothing that suggested … emotion. Not that he saw anyway.

For his part, he'd gifted her with flowers and a package of a half dozen prenatal massages. When he bought the package, he hadn't known she was expecting twins. He probably would have gotten more than six if he'd known.

There was nothing in the basket any longer. At the time, Easter Sunday 2000, it had been set at his place at the table by his very pregnant wife sometime during the night. He still didn't know when she managed it, but he also had been aware those last few weeks she did not sleep well. The basket had been overflowing with magical and muggle treats. There hadn't been a thing in it he didn't like.

Even not knowing she had made the actual basket, he'd been touched - flattered - by her thinking of him. And felt like an arsehole to the nth degree for having nothing for her. For not thinking she'd expect something. Of course she'd grown up with things like Easter baskets. He had not. The hurt he saw displayed in her eyes prevented him from … telling her he found he had developed real and rather deep feelings for her despite their arrangement almost being at its end.

He hadn't counted on that.

Feelings.

How could he possibly have claimed to care for her when he didn't see her worth getting something for Easter? He could hear that argument very clearly. And she'd be valid in thinking such. So, he said nothing, and presumed he'd have more time.

They were supposed to have a month after Easter!

He should have had a month to be able to try and tell her without sounding as if he was a lovesick fool.

And he did not want to look like that.

She'd gone into labor Easter night, though, over four weeks early. That happened with multiples apparently. Evidently, she had known that. He had not. There was so much about her pregnancy he admittedly wasn't as attentive to as he likely should have been. At least in the very beginning. Such as knowing multiples tended to come early.

Before he knew it, very literally, he had no idea until receiving her patronus telling him he needed to pick up Eden, she was ready to leave St. Mungos. She was back at Grimmauld Place with one daughter, he was back at Spinner's End with the other. Kingsley had returned her name to Granger.

Why she'd even changed it to Snape to begin with, he had no idea. It was one of the, many, things about Hermione Snape nee Granger he would likely never know.

Or understand.

This basket, though.

And today, Eden did the exact thing as her mother had done. Gave him something when he had nothing for her. Until today, this basket remained the only thing he'd ever been given.

He glanced at his left hand. He balled his hand into a fist, running his thumb along the edge of his index finger and between it and his middle finger as he took it in.

He couldn't bear to take the ring off. They hadn't divorced. He was still legally - and magically - married to the witch. Their agreement was they would stay married until the time came one or the other met someone they wanted to marry. He wasn't sure why she'd agreed to that. Over thirteen years since he married her, he didn't understand it. For all he knew, she had met someone and was living with him.

Doubtful.

He didn't get the impression she would do that, because she had seemed almost … relieved, when he'd insisted they marry. As if she, too, thought that children should have no question of being legitimate. The muggle world was certainly more … progressive than when he'd been a child. The wizarding world was not so, nor was it very forgiving.

Procreation decree or not, he was not going to have a child of his created and born illegitimately. If another witch had approached him would he have been so adamant?

He'd never know because none had. That he was aware of. He'd known the night she came to him, after reading the decree, that he would likely say yes so long as she truly wanted him to father her child. If she came to him because she'd run the numbers. Well, there were some he'd doubt the validity of that statement. Not the witch in question. So, he silenced the doorbell for the next little while.

He truly had no idea if anyone came. He hadn't received any owls.

Others had gone that route, and he knew now, as the results of that started at Hogwarts, or would be this coming September, that their offspring were thought of as … lesser than. No one said that. They wouldn't do that. The Ministry passed the decree, people honored it as they saw fit.

Any child of his already had his past to contend with. He wasn't going to tack on anyone being able to tease them about being a literal bastard on top of being the son or daughter of one.

It was the reason he'd chosen to homeschool Eden. He hadn't wanted her to deal with those sorts of things. Bullying. Peer pressure. Competitiveness about social standing. Too protective perhaps, but he thought he'd done all right with her. The tutors he hired were carefully screened. And muggle. He taught her the magical things she needed to know.

He liked to think that he'd done well by her overall. He was careful not to be an emotionless git. It had taken … time, but fortunately, he had her undivided attention. She wasn't going anywhere. It helped, too, that she had managed to wrap herself around his little finger the first time she smiled at him. She wasn't frightened of him. She didn't think he was an arsehole. She actually seemed to like him. No, they weren't friends, but she seemed to respect him. Such a strange thing to allow it to affect him the way it did. Only her mother seemed to respect him unconditionally. So, overall, he thought he'd done well.

Until today.

He ran his finger along the rim of the basket, putting it back in the safe. The other things were returned into it as well before he stood. He walked to the windows his study offered, spotting her sitting on a fallen tree trunk.

He'd never in nearly twelve years spoken to her in such a way. He'd gone out of his way to ensure she knew that while he wasn't the most … emotionally demonstrative person … he loved her. She knew by now when he was brewing he might be short, but it wasn't from irritation at her.

He honestly had no idea she'd make such a difference in his life. Oh, yes, he listened as Lucius waxed poetic about the benefits of having Draco. They'd always been about inheritance and blood related things, though.

This girl was a part of him.

She belonged to him.

He'd helped make her.

She was his.

He'd never had that. It was deeper than inheritances and blood. She owned a piece of his heart, and his soul.

Today wasn't the first time he'd wondered what his heart and soul would be like if he'd been able to keep his family intact. His wife and daughter alone, without him. Without Eden.

He watched her for a moment. Obviously crying and upset, over what he'd said and done. Or hadn't in this case. It wasn't the first time and, likely, wouldn't be the last, but it was the first time he felt that he truly had done something wrong. So like her mother, it was very easy to read her emotional state even from here. She never would have made it as a Slytherin.

Then, maybe she would have surprised him. In truth, if she had gone to Hogwarts, he thought he might have been a little … disappointed if she was sorted into Slytherin. Not that he wouldn't want her in the house he had not only been a student of but head of house of for years. No, that wasn't it at all. He just wanted her to create her own path.

It was why he hadn't returned to Hogwarts as a professor. It was time to get away. He'd nearly given his life for it. That was enough.

When Hermione approached him with her … offer. Well, he'd still been in the planning stages of putting his apothecary business together. It had been the right decision. He was his own boss. He was free to do as he pleased. And then Kingsley approached him about training potions labs around the world.

It had seemed like a good idea, and Eden would get exposed to not only different magical areas but muggle ones, too.

//

April 1, 1999

"Would you like to see a movie or something?" he asked once they finished dinner.

He was married.

They were married.

He had a wife.

This witch was his wife.

They'd gone elsewhere to avoid reporters. There was no way either of them marrying wouldn't attract attention.

He'd sniggered as Hermione Granger, Snape he supposed after today, made an unauthorized portkey. He had no idea where she was leading him, but it wasn't as if he had anything else to do tonight. So, he grabbed onto the magazine she'd used.

They ended up in Santorini, Greece, and shared a rather enjoyable, if not uncomfortable, dinner. She'd made an effort, by bringing him here, to make this a more memorable day than yesterday. So, the idea for a movie, or something, was his way of … extending that.

"How about a walk?" she asked.

He nodded then, offering her his hand when they stood from the table. She glanced at him, clearly surprised at his offer. He was, too, honestly. They'd agreed to taking some time to get to know one another before starting on their attempts at a child. They had three months before they had to provide proof they were trying.

So, they'd spent their wedding night eating Greek food and walking along the Aegean Sea. They didn't say much. He was pleased that she hadn't talked his ear off, honestly. Then he imagined this was just as strange to her as it was to him.

Repopulation Decrees.

Ridiculous.

//

He still thought it was ridiculous. Obviously, he wasn't alone in thinking so, as it was revoked a year or so later. Too late to help a slew of people.

He sighed heavily with a shake of his head. Today wasn't the day to think of such memories. The memory of the day he first realized that seeing places with someone wouldn't be a hardship. Eden wasn't the same either, but he didn't want to lose her too through his own stupidity.

He got himself together then before heading out of his study and toward the outside door. He grabbed his cloak and then went outdoors, walking toward his daughter.

A daughter he had just hurt through no fault of her own. She had been kind to him. Thoughtful. He just hadn't expected it, as Easter was really just another day to them. Had school changed that? Had she heard stories of other families who did things, and thought he was lacking?

The sound of her tears were like daggers to his heart.

He had done that.

He had brought her to tears.

Something he swore he would never do. Not over something stupid, anyway. Children cried. Children deemed rules unfair. This, though. He made her cry when she had just been kind.

Wandlessly, he cleaned off another section of the old tree trunk and cast a warming spell around them both when he sat.

"Thank you for the Easter basket," he said simply.

Nothing but sniffles.

"I apologize that I acted as if I am ungrateful. Whether you have noticed or not, I am not accustomed to receiving gifts."

Still nothing.

"Your gift brought back … memories that I honestly am not sure I wanted to remember today."

Ever really. What was the use of remembering something that he could do nothing about?

She took a deep breath here.

"Of Mom?" she asked, voice sounding uncertain and small.

"Yes, she is the only other person who ever gave me something."

"I'm sorry I never have."

"That wasn't what I meant at all. You're my daughter, gifts are not part of the role." He scooted closer to her on the trunk, feeling better about doing so now that she was talking to him. "I saw in an advertisement on television yesterday or the day before that there's a re-release of Casablanca at that old theater in town. Are you interested?"

"Yes," she said without hesitation and he chuckled at that. Her immediate agreement was a little odd. She was okay with classic movies, but she usually wanted to at least know what it was about before agreeing. They'd seen Casablanca before, though, on a DVD, which wasn't the same as at a movie theater. Maybe that was why she agreed so easily.

"I love your enthusiasm, but I didn't think you were a Bogart fan," he said.

"Well, you want to see it."

"Are you sure?" He didn't want her seeing a movie simply because he wanted to.

"Daddy, it's a movie with you. Of course I want to."

"All right," he said. "Am I forgiven?"

"Yes. I just," she shrugged.

"You went to a lot of trouble, which I appreciate."

"I didn't go through that much trouble. Clearly."

"It's more than anyone else has ever done."

Except her mother. She didn't say anything, which relieved him. He'd gotten away thus far with vague answers to questions about her mother. In fact, until today, he couldn't remember the last time she'd mentioned her.

She doesn't live here.

We just decided to live in different places.

He never said disparaging things about her. He never claimed to be the better parent. He never said that her mum didn't love or want her.

"You know my roommate I've mentioned, Ardelia," she said.

"Yes," he said.

"Her mom is a widow…"

He stared at her for a moment, unsure she was really suggesting what he thought she was.

"No," he said simply.

"But Dad. I'm in school now."

"I don't need my daughter playing matchmaker. I also don't want someone interested in our last name before they even meet me."

"What if they didn't know your last name?"

"I'm not sure how that could be managed."

"I guess I don't know. There are like personal ads. Maybe the magical world has something like that?"

"Still no," he said. Merlin, he was a married man. Where were these questions coming from? How did Eden know about personal ads?

He kissed the top of her head. "Let's go see a movie and eat too much popcorn. Spending time with you is really all I need."

He could admit that, more than just regularly, thoughts of this girl's mom and sister crossed his mind. Did they like Australia? What did Hermione find to do as a job? He'd bought its magical paper over the years, but had seen no mentions of her.

None.

He knew she was still alive, only because the agreement they had was that if something happened to the other one, the daughter would go to the living parent. Harry Potter was aware of the agreement.

Severus sensed that Harry Potter knew of his feelings for Hermione, because he tried to talk to him about his best friend more than once before Severus and Eden left Britain. Hermione and Mia had left immediately, where Severus had taken a bit more time before leaving. His wife's best friend was aware that Severus hadn't removed his wedding ring.

He always presumed he'd have time to talk to her. He hadn't realized she would leave for Australia as soon as the agreement was signed. He presumed there'd be a string of goodbyes amongst her friends. That she'd want to see Eden. (Years later, he understood that it wasn't that she hadn't wanted to see Eden, but most likely she couldn't .)

So, she had left. Immediately. He knew of her plans to visit her parents.

And then what was he supposed to say? Show up at her mother and father's home and try to explain away him allowing her to enter into such an agreement with him to begin with? He knew full well how that would go, and he would likely end up losing Eden, too.

"Can we have a fire out here later?" she asked.

"We could. If not tonight, maybe tomorrow before it gets too late, and cold."

She nodded, smiling at him and kissing his cheek. "Thank you, Daddy."

"You're welcome, Eden. Let's go get ready to see Bogie."

Return to Top

Part 5 | Part 7

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com