***Chapter Eight***
September 2000

"And the nightmares?" Kingsley asked.

Severus shrugged. He wasn't sure what answer Kinglsey expected. Or preferred. Suggesting two years post wars after serving eighteen years as a double spy that the nightmares would just disappear was ridiculous. "I still have them, not as frequently nor are they as severe."

He resisted the urge to look away when Kingsley pierced him with that gaze that no doubt had most take him seriously in his role as Minister for Magic. Looking away would give Kingsley doubt, and Severus didn't want that.

"You're not lying to me?"

"I am not. If I was trying to lie to you, I'd tell you I didn't have any. Hermione has gotten quite capable at waking me from them without incident. You can ask her if you need confirmation."

Kingsley smirked a bit at that. A telltale sign that he would not ask Hermione now , but likely would have had Severus not given him permission to.

He wrote whatever he felt was necessary on his piece of parchment, eyes meeting his after a pause in the wizard's writing.

"She's never been hurt?"

Ah.

"No," he said with a slight pause. There was, of course, a very real possibility he could hurt her. She knew this, and seemed to be able to gauge what kind of a nightmare he was having. And how best to bring him out of it.

One time, she'd gotten into his mind somehow and implanted herself there. Encouraging him to follow her away from the evil images in his dreams. It had worked and was something she repeated as needed. Those times were few and far between anymore. The real bad dreams.

"She's been … frightened, but never physically hurt. It has been since before she gave up her apartment that even that has happened. I'm not sure I would have wanted her to move in here if I could not guarantee her safety."

Kingsley noted this. Severus had no doubt the Minister for Magic had a thick file with all of his notes from these visits, two years' worth now.

"And you're still thinking of going the Unspeakable route?"

"I think I would be good at it. I think Hermione with her History degree would be good at it, too. She, like me, is rational so would understand that we can't affect drastic changes. She would be capable of making a small change without going after a bigger one. We also know I'm capable of subterfuge and keeping secrets, so my telling anyone what I do for a living wouldn't be an issue."

"Assuming that anyone would even know."

"Mm," Severus said.

"If we do this, no one but the three of us would know. I understand Harry will have to be told … something because you may be gone at times. We can't have it known we're trying to change anything. I'm still thinking about whether Greyback is too big of a thing to change."

"I have thought of that issue, too. Again, when I mentioned it, it was just the first thing that came to mind."

"I think I'd prefer to start smaller," Kingsley said. It was the first time Severus realized the man was going to let them do this. Maybe. "The two of you can put together a list between now and when she's done with school and we can review it."

"All right."

"Have you thought about the possibility she may not want to do this?"

"No," he said simply. "I know she doesn't want to leave here. She wants this to be our home. This house and this time. I think the idea of helping anyone, no matter how small and no matter when in history, would appeal to her."

"That doesn't mean you have to stay dead, Severus."

"I think for now, I would prefer it. It works for me. I imagine one day, I will not feel that way. She has mentioned … our children attending Hogwarts."

"Has she?" He was pretty sure Kingsley was laughing at him.

"She has."

"Well, that would certainly be a surprise, wouldn't it? Twelve or thirteen years from now a Snape child just showing up?"

"I thought it might be appropriate. I think I would actually … pay to see the look on some of the faces."

Kingsley chuckled. "All right, well, hopefully you won't wish to be secreted away here for that long, but I'm not going to out you until you're ready. You kept your end of the bargain, I will keep mine. Harry and I have discussed ways to posthumously clear you so that it's already done when you do decide to come back. We both think it would give people the chance to adjust to the information. He says he'd prefer to wait until the dust settles on your recent hunts, not wanting anyone to put together our clearing charges pending against you to the captures. He doesn't want you in any danger. So, maybe in a year or so we could get that done."

Severus nodded, appreciating the thoughtfulness both wizards were giving his situation. He preferred it not be known he was of any assistance either. He didn't care about his own safety, but he did care about Hermione's. She wouldn't know a former death eater or follower if she stumbled across one.

"Thank you."

Silence as the Minister for Magic, and his friend by now, regarded him.

"What?" Severus hissed.

More silence. Those dark eyes were bearing into him. Severus was really curious what was on the wizard's mind.

"Would you change anything…"

"No," he drawled. He knew what Kingsley was asking. "I've thought about it since the idea came to me. I admit, three years ago I likely would have given a vastly different answer. And, no, it wouldn't have been wanting to go back and change anything with Lily. I doubt there isn't anyone who wouldn't think about it. If I were to change anything , too much could change to where I wouldn't have arrived here to meet Hermione. I think, if I could, the only thing I would change would be to get him - me - to plead for all of the Potters'. It is the one true regret I have. I've had years to think about many things: choices and regrets. Until recently, I've had little to look at as being something good. I was twenty. She'd been the only person who showed me a crumb of kindness. I was hyper focused on her, what she meant to me. I hadn't really taken the time to think that the baby would likely be a witch or wizard. I hadn't stopped to consider if she lost James and the baby she'd be … Well, she would have lived the life I did. A shell of a person who lost everything, and it would have been my fault." He waved his hand at Kingsley opening his mouth. "I know I did not kill her. I know that if I hadn't told Tom, things would have been bad for several others. At least Sirius cares for the boy. I never would have wanted that for her."

"You're not that shell anymore, Severus."

"I am getting there. Most importantly, it is not because of Hermione."

"That is a valid distinction, and one I'm pleased to see you notice."

"If Peter hadn't been caught, he would have gone to Lily's sister."

"Is that why you fought so hard for your tormentor's freedom?"

"Well, I felt in my gut that there was no way that man could have fooled so many people. Albus agreed with me," he shrugged. "And, yes, Petunia Dursley nee Evans was not who Lily would have wanted raising her son."

"To think there are still things to learn about you, Severus."

"I am pleased I can remain an enigma, Kingsley," he said with a low chuckle. Severus arched a brow as Crookshanks approached Kingsley. To this point, his witch's familiar had remained rather … aloof with the Minister for Magic. The cat in question seemed to realize who it was and gave an upset sounding meow before running off.

"I wish I knew what I did to him," Kingsley said.

Severus chuckled.

"I do not know."

Truthfully, Crookshanks didn't seem to like anyone but the two of them. Harry he tolerated, but that was about all. Of course, now that Hermione was here full-time, the cat didn't see anyone else. Severus had no idea who the cat might visit on his outdoor excursions, but he didn't see him being friendly to anyone.

Eventually, Hermione came home and Kingsley left, realizing only then how late the hour had gotten. Severus could admit, these visits were far less tedious than they had been nearly two years ago. Yes, there were conversations as they'd had about Severus' goals and future, but they didn't make up the whole visit anymore. He knew Kingsley would like to see him with more … friends, but an outlooker who engaged in surface conversations was about as good as he was going to get.

Hermione, for her part, was lucky he wasn't a jealous man. At least too bad. She gave the Minister for Magic and Harry hugs and kisses by now. She and Kingsley were not friends. He would never think to come home to find the two of them sitting at the table, sharing tea. He would think to find that with Harry, though. They were … friends, and Severus found today he wasn't nearly as jealous of that occurrence as he thought he would be. He trusted both his witch and his friend. It was an odd feeling.

Trust.

Camaraderie.

Friendship.

A persnickety familiar.

Here in his home.

He knew she had almost as difficult of a time making friends as he did. So, it pleased him that they could all get along. Proof despite the war, she belonged in the magical world.

*****

They were lying in a sleeping bag on his backyard. She liked to look at the stars and clouds, and it was a pastime he was coming to enjoy himself. It wasn't something he'd taken time for until recently.

Hell, it wasn't something he had the time to do until recently.

"Kingsley wants us to come up with a list of things we'd like to do."

"Okay," she whispered. He smiled a bit. There was no one else around them for at least a mile, yet it was instinctual to whisper. The night sky seemed to suggest it.

"He asked me if I entertained the notion that you may not wish to do this. I guess I haven't really asked you if this is what you want to do with your life?"

She shrugged. "I can admit a History degree is somewhat useless, unless I'm going to become a teacher. Or, I suppose an Unspeakable who travels through time to help correct small wrongs."

He snorted softly.

"So you do not think I'm making a decision for you? Or that you are coerced?"

"No. I can say no."

"Really? Are you sure? Because I've never heard that word uttered once."

She laughed softly.

"Are you complaining?"

"Seriously, Hermione. If you feel pressured, coerced, or anything else."

"No, I think it's actually a sound idea. A way to make a difference, no matter how small."

"He asked me if I would change anything."

She rolled onto her side then, running a finger along his beard at his jaw. "He was testing you."

"You think so?"

"I already know your answer, Severus. You wouldn't change anything."

"Mostly correct. I would, I think, go back and tell myself to include James and Harry in my abasement to Albus. I couldn't have to Tom."

"Mm," she said with a slight nod. "Is that something you want to do?"

He was quiet here, swallowing hard more than once as he thought about that.

"Would you assist me?"

"You think I can?"

"I think together we could convince him better than I alone could, yes. Perhaps we could do a few other assignments first, get the feel for what we can do, what our limitations are, and how we work together under those circumstances."

"I'd do it," she whispered.

"I do not wish…"

"I know you don't, Severus. I'm not jealous of Lily."

"I am grateful."

"Now, if you wanted to go back and …"

"No," he said simply, moving on top of her. "I don't know how our paths would have crossed ordinarily, obviously someone hoped we would do so to make us soul mates. I can admit as far-fetched as I found the concept prior to having one, the choice was well made."

"I still think that's why I wanted to shag you that night," she said, sliding a leg along his calf.

"Oh? You mean it wasn't my manners?"

She smiled a bit. "Oh, that helped."

"Good to know."

"Something in me knew."

"I'm incredibly pleased, whatever the reason."

"Yes, Severus, I'll help you with whatever you want me to with that."

"Thank you."

"Now, vanish our clothes so you can shag me tonight."

"As you wish, my witch."

Return to Top

Part 7 | Part 9

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com