TITLE: Those Days Are Over
AUTHOR: Susan / apckrfan
E-MAIL
DISTRIBUTION: My site, AO3, FFnet, LJ.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own any characters. They are owned by JK Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Brothers, etc. No profit is made from this fic.
RATING: FRT
SPOILERS: General but diverges as EWE and Snape lives
CHARACTERS/PAIRING: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape
DATE STARTED: June 2023
STATUS: Complete
WORD COUNT: 6,600 +/-
FEEDBACK: Please, I can't write better without it.



June 2003

Severus scowled, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. The indignity! The nerve! What kind of society did they live in when people thought they could just … assault his person! He wasn't Sleeping Beauty, a kiss wouldn't awaken him from the nightmares of his past. It certainly wouldn't make him any more attractive than he was!

His godson, on the other hand, was equally put out and amused. Put out because Severus was the subject of the unwelcome kiss rather than him. Amused because he knew Severus didn't enjoy people near him let alone close enough to touch or kiss.

He preferred that people respect his personal space. And then double the presumed appropriate amount of space, because what was normal for most was still too close for him.

"This really happens all of the time?" Draco asked.

He had been trying to tell him! It hadn't been this bad until the past year or so, when someone suggested in an interview that Severus was not just eligible but wealthy to boot.

Clearly, his complaints were falling on deaf ears. He had no idea how to make it stop. Other than living the life of a complete hermit, which he refused to do. He should be able to get dinner, or lunch, out once in a while without being … accosted.

"You thought I was exaggerating?"

"The thought crossed my mind."

Severus' lips thinned at the … implication behind Draco's doubt. He was implying he didn't believe his godfather when he told him that witches were throwing themselves at him. Today, at dinner, there were two who came up to their table to talk to him. The third, just now, kissed him!

None of the three talked to, or even paid much attention, to Draco.

The first two tonight had been … somewhat tactful at least.

"Don't you want a witch?"

"No," he said simply.

"Why not?"

"What do you mean ‘why not?' What about me implies to you I want a relationship? I'm forty-three years old, live alone, and my new career keeps me to myself most of the time. That is how I like it."

Draco chuckled low at that. He saw something in his godson's eyes, though, that told Severus he didn't quite believe him. That the last sentence he'd said wasn't exactly truthful.

For that matter, Severus wasn't sure he believed himself. It was just far easier to say he didn't then to constantly get depressed at the realization that he was still … always … alone. Never mind he had … standards. Perhaps he shouldn't at his age, but he had to at least be able to talk to a witch before he could think about courting her. There were very few he could do that with.

Severus was working as a surveyor. It turned out, the Ministry of Magic had not kept diligent records of property lines and ownership over the years.

Not overly shocking to anyone who were convinced that most Ministry employees were dunderheaded cogs.

Not overly shocking either, knowing there might have been people prior to Quirrell around believing Voldemort might have been brought back. Well, who was to say followers didn't alter records. Or someone under the Imperius didn't.

So, he went property to property and ensured what they said they owned matched records. It got dicey with homes under the Fidelius Charm, but he had the full backing of several Ministry departments, as well as the Minister for Magic. He liked to think working alone, on pretty much his own terms, didn't lump him in with the rest of the dunderheaded cogs working for the Ministry.

He worked for muggles, too. The ministry paid him enough, so he could be selective about what muggle tasks he took on. He was a one-man company, so he knew how big of a job was too big.

As such, his job was rather solitary. This was satisfactory. He'd had more than his share of people and workplace politics to last a lifetime.

He ignored the … idea that niggled at the back of his mind that going home to - or even with after a meal like tonight - someone might be a nice change of pace.

Of course, he'd have to meet someone he wanted to court first. These witches who threw themselves at him, dressing inappropriately in the process, who couldn't string two sentences together, were not her.

"I don't know. You are smart. You're a hero. You survived being a spy. You're personable, when you want to be." This was added quickly, as if his godson knew he would refute that statement. "You're attractive."

"Okay. Now you are too much." He scowled again, glaring at his godson. Merlin. He had never been called attractive in his life.

"What? You are. These witches wouldn't throw themselves at you if you were a troll, Godfather."

"They would - and do - because of my hero status and rumored wealth. My appearance has nothing to do with it! Most of them would see my scars and pass out from the indignity of them."

About a year ago, it was reported that he'd inherited all of Albus Dumbledore's property. He had, but he hadn't admitted that was true to anyone. Even Draco.

That was the last thing he needed. He'd likely never get a moment's peace if they knew the former headmaster had left him more than comfortable.

If Severus had not survived, the estate would have been broken up and distributed among various Ministry departments for research and (almost as an afterthought, or unsure it would be accepted) his brother.

Draco shrugged. He glanced to the table where the most recent witch who came up to ‘say hello' to Severus was seated with, he presumed, her friends.

"What you need is a girlfriend."

"I do not want that. Did you not hear what I just said?"

"No. First of all, I think the right girlfriend would do wonders for you. You need to get laid in the twenty-first century, Godfather. That's not something I can help with tonight. You're missing my meaning, that wasn't what I was implying."

"What other meaning could there be besides the direct opposite of what I desire."

His godson looked … sad, for lack of a better word.

"You need someone willing to play your girlfriend."

He narrowed his eyes, regarding his godson.

"You know," he plodded on when Severus was left speechless. "Someone who is willing to be seen with you. Instead of dinners with me, you have them with her. They see you enough times with someone, they'll start to leave you alone."

"You're implying I should ask someone to pretend to date me."

He was hearing him right, wasn't he?

"Well, yes."

"And what kind of … attractive gentleman would have to do that?"

"Sure. Good question. An attractive man who says he doesn't want a girlfriend."

"Girlfriend makes me sound like I'm still a student."

"Put whatever word you want on it. I'm suggesting you find someone who is willing to go out on what will seem like dates to others. With you. There'd be no girlfriend. How seriously you want them to pretend would be up to you. I mean, you're a potions master. Maybe you could provide them with a year's supply of Pepper-Up or something in exchange."

"So bribe and offer to pay someone to be my date."

Draco shrugged, gesturing with a nod of his head to the witch in question who'd approached their table to kiss him. He remembered Amber Bronson from her time as a student. That she thought she'd interest him was rather laughable.

That was true with most women, though.

"It would get witches like her off your back. Once the articles stop about you being rich and available, you break up - quietly. And go on with your life as a solitary bachelor."

"I don't know anyone who would do such a thing."

Draco shrugged again. "I'd do it, but that'd probably not be the gossip you want to offset you being single."

He chuckled softly. "Not to mention, you're my godson."

"There is that. Yeah. Anyway. Keep it in mind. Unless you want this to continue."

It was worse lately due to the fifth year anniversary of the war's end. He'd managed to get out of end of war doings years two through four. Kingsley insisted he show for this year's ball and memorial service at Hogwarts.

"I will stow it away, though knowing someone who'd go along with such a ruse is probably just as problematic as my finding a legitimate date."

"You are a resourceful man, Godfather."

"Not that resourceful." None of the witches who approached him wanted him . They wanted the spy. The secretive man. The rumored heir to Albus' belongings. They were hoping he'd lead them to where Albus had lived.

Never mind that after twenty years of keeping too many secrets and having to pretend he was still in love with not just a witch who'd jilted him, but a married witch that he realized long ago that he hadn't loved for years.

So, he wasn't going to live up to the expectations of any of these witches who wanted … a thrill.

Nor did he particularly care to be … gossiped about by witches with regard to his sexual exploits. Not that he had any of late to be gossiped about (Draco had no idea how close to home his getting laid this century jab had hit), but that was the last thing he wanted to become.

Tea party fodder. Water cooler gossip.

"I can think about it, come up with a list, and give you names."

Severus shook his head, but … refrained from blurting out that he could find his own fake girlfriend. And yet, for all of his … posturing, Draco had become a person who knew how to read not just people. But a room. Especially when it came to the fairer sex. Severus was pretty sure even at his age he could fill a thimble with his knowledge or women and have it not be close to overflowing.

Was it a horrendous idea? Depending on the dinner companion, possibly not. It'd be for show. Not real dates.

"I would review a list you compiled."

"Really?" His godson's eye practically sparkled. From amusement? Excitement? Mischief? All three? Severus would likely never know.

"I said I would review a list. I didn't say I'd go ahead with your preposterous plan."

Draco smiled here, as if he thought he'd achieved an Outstanding on one of Severus' tests. "Except you can't find it that preposterous if you're willing to look at a list."

He grumbled, which made Draco's eyes sparkle with mirth more than they were a moment ago.

Merlin.

"If Myrtle is at the top of the list, I will incinerate it and then come survey your land and shave off acres…"

Draco paled a bit at the very idea, but seemed to know Severus was … teasing him because he laughed.

"I'll make sure she's not among the top ten."

Severus snorted.

"You are insane if you think you will compile a list of even ten names for such a thing."

Draco winked then. "That sounds like a challenge, Godfather. I look forward to it."

Severus rolled his eyes. He had to admit, it would be amusing to see who Draco came up with.

*****

Severus heard the door open to his suite, assuming it was the postal carrier. The postal carriers on his route probably wondered why his secretary's desk was always unmanned. He had no need for a secretary. He'd done just fine on his own thus far. He didn't take on more work than he could handle among muggles. 

"Hello," he heard a familiar voice from the outer room. He scowled with a slight frown. What in the world was she doing here? "Sir?" he heard her call and rolled her eyes at the formality. "Are you here? I assume you are as the door was unlocked."

Good assumption. Of course, she knew how to unlock a door if she so desired. That was not the case here, he knew it.

He stood from his desk then, making his way out of his private office to the common area of the suite. If he had a secretary, she'd be out here. If he had an associate or employee of any kind, they'd be out here, too. He had neither.

"Miss Granger," he said.

"Oh, hello. I hope I didn't interrupt. Draco gave me this address. I should have known it was you when he mentioned knowing a muggle surveyor. I didn't realize your office was on the muggle side of things from Diagon Alley."

"Yes," he said simply.

Obviously. As she was here. In muggle London. In what was his office.

"Right. Obviously, as you're here."

"What can I do for you?" he asked. Surely, she was here for a reason and not to sound silly. Something he swore he'd never get from this witch. In fact, at the ball in May he'd been rather … disappointed their brief conversation came to a close.

"Oh, right. I'm sorry."

She was … flustered. Blushing, tucking her hair behind her ear, fidgeting with a bracelet she wore around her left wrist. None of these things were behaviors he associated with this witch. Why?

"You're fine," he said in the event it was him making her uncomfortable. He hadn't intentionally done so. In fact, their last meeting, at the ball a few weeks ago, had been quite the opposite of tedious.

"It's just. You know my parents passed?"

"I am aware," he said with a frown. What in the world did that have to do with him? The death of her parents came as a shock to everyone because she'd been unable to return their memories. However, a former follower of Voldemort must have figured something out as to their location and true identity. Their deaths had been gruesome. Did she think he knew the identity of their killers?

"Well, my home was destroyed back in 1997."

"Right." He was aware of that, too. He knew details about what was to be done to her and her parents during the raid that would give her additional nightmares.

He kept those details to himself. She'd saved their lives. For a little while at least.

So, she wasn't here assuming he knew who killed her parents and had simply said nothing for over a year to aid the authorities catch the perpetrator.

"I have been putting off deciding what to do with the land. Sell it? Build a new house on it?"

"Mm," he said. Logical debate. That did not explain why she'd sought him out here. At his muggle workplace.

"Well, the next door neighbors are claiming an area between the properties is theirs when I know it's mine."

Ah. He finally understood why she was here.

"I see."

"It's not a huge deal, but I'd rather it be settled before I do decide."

"You are leaning toward selling?" That surprised him. It was just an empty lot, but he knew she had a good childhood there and valued those memories.

Of course, the memories weren't in the empty lot. They were in her. Even if she built a new home, it wouldn't be that home.

His childhood home burnt down shortly after the war's end. It turned out, the city of Cokeworth preferred he not rebuild. They offered him more for his lot than he thought the damned thing was worth.

Between it and the insurance money for the property. Well, if he ever set about purchasing a home, he would be able to afford a nice one. Not that he needed to, with Albus' properties belonging to him. For now, he had a flat above his office. Small. One bedroom that barely fit his bed and dresser let alone anything else. One bathroom that was essentially a closet with a shower head, sink, and toilet in it. One living room that was a little bigger than his bedroom, because it included his kitchen. Pathetic. Yet it suited his needs for now. When he needed more space, he could visit one of the homes Albus left him to ensure it was still standing.

He didn't want to be miles from his office. He didn't want to sleep anywhere magical.

How he felt about where he'd grown up was vastly different than how this witch felt. He didn't need to know her well to know that.

"I think I might. It's a rather … older neighborhood."

He smirked at that. He knew what she meant. Families like hers. Parents whose children were grown and gone. Not young twenty-something year olds just starting out. She'd stand out, especially as younger people moved in again, years from now as neighborhoods changed, for being alive longer than she should be.

A neighborhood someone like him should call home.

If he'd had a normal life.

If he had a wife.

If he had a child.

He huffed at that thought. Once upon a time he'd been curious about the type of father he'd make. Teaching didn't count.

"No offense meant."

"None taken, Miss Granger."

"Hermione."

"I'm sorry?"

"We danced at the ball in May, I think you can address me by my first name."

They had. She'd danced with his godson as well. He'd been … certain it was a prank when she approached him with the offer. So he'd said no initially. He saw the dejected look on her face, though, and changed his answer as a result.

She wasn't that good an actress to fake that look.

He was a romantic fool. Not wanting to insult a witch. Or bring her to tears. Why his declining would do that, he couldn't quite fathom. The pleasure reflected in her eyes when he changed his mind was something he was certain he'd recall for a while. It was … nice, for a moment in time to be on the receiving end of such a look.

He mulled over the … appropriateness of addressing her by her given name. He could find no reason he shouldn't and nodded. She seemed to recognize he'd need to think that over.

"Very well, of course. Severus is more than suitable."

She smiled then, and it lit up her face. Not quite in the same way him accepting her offered dance had, though.

"I don't know what you charge. I can pay you something today if you need a deposit or something, but would likely need to get you the rest when you complete the job."

"You don't need to give me a down payment nor pay in advance. Jot down your address," he said, taking the tablet he had on the desk out here for instances like this. He didn't usually get walk-ins, but it had happened once or twice before. "And I will get to it in the next week or two. Is that sufficient?"

"That's fine. Again, I just want it documented before I decide. I have waited this long to do that, so a little longer is fine."

She wrote the street address down, and with it what he recognized as a mobile number.

"Thank you, Severus."

"I'm happy I can help."

"I was surprised to see you at the ball in May."

She'd said so that night, too.

"Yes, well, Kingsley ordered me to attend."

"Oh," she said with a cheeky grin. "He's good at that, isn't he?"

"Not quite as good as Albus, but it is close."

She laughed softly.

"And work is busy?"

"Steady. I can work at my own pace. So if I need a day off, I can take it."

"Brewing?"

"My lab at Hogwarts is still intact, yes. For now, that suits my needs when I get the itch to brew."

Silence. She looked as if she wanted to say something else. He had no idea what.

"Well, I won't keep you any longer. I'm sure I interrupted something."

Nothing he needed to rush back to, but he wasn't sure what more to say. Small talk was not a strong suit of his.

"I will ring you when I can then."

"If you call me before you go, I can meet you there so she doesn't freak out that someone is lurking in her - my - yard."

Oh. The neighbor had gotten under her skin, hadn't she? She was perhaps lucky she was a muggle and that Hermione couldn't hex her.

"I will try to give you notice the night before then."

"Good. It's good to see you, Sir," she said, offering him her hand. He took it, returning her handshake.

"Severus, as we established moments ago. It's nice to see you, too."

She left then. Taking with her a feeling of … positivity he wasn't used to feeling. Not even after his meals with Draco.

He glanced at the paper. Her handwriting hadn't changed much. There was a bit of a difference from a quill versus a pen, but overall it was her. He knew where her home was, but it had been a number of years (before Voldemort's return) since he'd been to the area.

Neighbors. There was always something.

His parents hadn't had much trouble in that regard. His father was so mean that people just left him alone.

Probably not the way Hermione wanted to handle her situation.

Obviously, as she'd stopped here.

He returned to his office, setting the piece of paper aside for later.

*****

Severus regarded the owl as it swooped down, dropping a letter in the basket reserved for magical post items.

He recognized the owl. And the handwriting on the missive's envelope.

It was a piece of personal correspondence.

He stopped what he was doing, opening the letter. He decided it was about time for a break.

Dear Godfather:

Here are some suggestions. You'll notice Myrtle is not among them.

Aunt Andromeda Tonks

She's a fellow Slytherin. She's widowed and had a child, so likely wouldn't want more. So articles shouldn't be posted about when the two of you will settle down and start a family. She is of both a good upbringing and bloodline, even if she turned her back on it. She's compulsively neat, which would likely appeal to you. She's not that much older than you, so no one should question seeing you together. She's becoming, if you can get past her resemblance to Aunt Bellatrix. She has a small child she's responsible for, so I'm sure would enjoy the occasional evening out to meet your needs. All of this points to her being someone people could buy you asking out socially. At least, I think so.

Penelope Clearwater

She dated Percy Weasley, so she does seem to like boring types. No offense, but you're not the most exciting person. I realize I'd probably say differently if I knew you thirty years ago, but I didn't, so I can't. She's a little young, maybe, but you helped cure her petrification so, you know, maybe she came to see you years later to say thank you and you hit it off. Something like that.

Mafalda Hopkirk

She has a rather tedious job at the Improper Use of Magic Office, but seems decent when I've listened to Harry and Hermione speak about her as far as her competency. And, like Penelope, would perhaps welcome a social life. Then again, she may be a hard sell, because I've never heard rumors of her having a social life. You're alike in that regard.

Daphne Greengrass

Again, a little young maybe, but she was a Slytherin and is from a good family. She wasn't a terrible student, from my recollection, so not out of the realm to capture your attention at the last ball or something.

Irma Pince

You both like books. She seems to like you. Not in that way, but I listened to the way she tried to defend you to others in the library when they were saying bad things about you. Until my seventh year, anyway.

Rita Skeeter

Hear me out. She's not unattractive. Her, you obviously wouldn't be able to approach with my idea, but she would certainly let it be known to any and all reading the Daily Prophet you were unavailable and dating her.

Alicia Spinnet

She speaks her mind and seems like a good person. I don't recall much about her while at Hogwarts. She was ahead of us, but I remember her standing up for others. That seems like something you'd like in a person.

Septima Vector

She's attractive and has a head for numbers and facts. Surely that would be something that appeals to you. She's nice and loyal. You two got along, if I recall correctly from my time at Hogwarts.

Rosmerta

I don't see this one, truthfully, but as everyone who's attended Hogwarts since she's been at the Three Broomsticks has fancied her I figured I'd mention her. Did you fancy her? I probably don't want to know.

Arabella Figg

From what Harry says, she's not as old as he thought she was growing up. Like she made herself up to look older. She's loyal. She likes cats. Maybe that's not a selling point, but I saw you over the years with various familiars. I realize, now, you pretended to loathe them, but I think you liked when they found you. You could be kind to them without anyone being the wiser at a time you couldn't be known to be kind.

Sadly, I realized as I was thinking of a list. I don't know a lot of people. Most I know are my age, like Pansy, who I suspect wouldn't interest you. If you want me to come up with more names, let me know. I will try.

Fondly,

Draco



If this was a student's paper, it would be filled with comments in red ink, consisting of reasons Severus rejected each and every one of Draco's suggestions.

Rita Skeeter.

Merlin.

Rosmerta.

Merlin again.

(At least Draco admitted he didn't see that one either. He preferred, even if it was fake dating, that his witch not be someone several others could lay claim to … familiarity with.)

He resisted the urge to ball up the piece of parchment and incinerate it.

In truth, someone like Andromeda wasn't out of the question. She was out of the question, because he could just hear the tongue wagging and gossip that would accompany him (faux) dating the guardian of Remus Lupin's child. So, he would keep the list, ponder Draco's suggestions, and hope that it would lead to some of his own.

There was no one on the list who he thought could … entrance him. He thought back to the brief conversation they'd had while dancing about driftwood of all things. Nothing earth shattering, but she'd held his attention and hadn't bored him to tears.

Something niggled at the back of his mind as he looked over Draco's list a second time.

And a third time before slamming it down on his desk.

He wasn't sure why he was even contemplating this. Did people really do this? Fake date? Would it even work?

Doubtful.

If it worked for even a little while, it could be worth it. He needed a break! He didn't have dozens of witches throwing themselves at him constantly. It was still frequent enough to be bothersome, making him wish to stay home. Or go somewhere muggle. And for all that he did to ensure Voldemort was defeated, he did not want to feel as if he had to avoid the very world he fought hard, and risked his life, for.

He swiped the list into his desk drawer, spotting the piece of paper Hermione wrote the address to her property on. A week ago? Ten days? He'd … forgotten about it, truth be told. He'd set it in here to get back to, and went on to other things.

"No time like the present," he muttered as he was somewhat in between projects at the time. He had committed to doing it and was, ultimately, a man of his word. His eyes fell to the phone number written on the paper, and he picked up his mobile phone, dialing.

"Hello?" The voice was familiar, but sounded cautious. Likely wondering who was calling him from an unknown number. It was one thing he equally liked and hated about mobile phones. You saw the number calling.

"Hermione? This is Severus Snape."

He heard her laugh and he wondered what that was about.

"I think just Severus is appropriate. Try as I might, I can't think of anyone else with your name. At least not who might call me."

Oh, he supposed that was true.

He cleared his throat. "Yes. Well, it's a habit."

"I understand," she said quickly. "I didn't mean." She stopped talking and sighed softly. "I wasn't laughing at you, Severus. I wouldn't do that. As someone with an equally singular name, it was just funny."

Oh again.

He didn't mean to make her feel bad, or that she'd done something wrong. He supposed she encountered much the same reaction to her name that he did to his.

"All good. Say, I know I said I'd give you a night's notice, but I find myself with time left in my day. One project, including the documentation for it, is done, but not enough time to start on something new. I was thinking of stopping by to see your property this evening."

"Okay."

"You mentioned my contacting you in advance, so that you could possibly join me there."

"Oh, right," she said. "I'm sorry, Severus. It was a busy day."

He found himself … oddly disappointed she wouldn't be able to join him.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I could wait until tomorrow, if that's better?"

"Oh, I can show up tonight. I just meant, forgive me for not remembering I mentioned that I could meet you. I just wasn't thinking about that conversation."

Not unexpected. He imagined she was busy. She worked with the muggle Parliament as some sort of liaison. He didn't quite understand her position, and he hadn't bothered to really ask for more information on it. Kingsley thought she was good at whatever she was employed doing, presumably ensuring magical folk were considered in things without the Statute being violated.

"Excellent. You tell me how much time you need."

"Um," she said. He could hear that she drew the phone away from her ear, returning it a moment later. "About an hour. I'd like to go home, check on Crookshanks. He seems to eat more when I'm gone. Out of spite, I'm sure. I'd also like to change into something that doesn't scream ‘I'm a government official'."

He chuckled. "All right. An hour. See you then. Here? So you can apparate us to an appropriate place?"

"Yes. I'll be there."

*****

The garage door was open. He was … surprised she'd stayed out of his way for the most part as he was doing his work. He paused a time or two when he thought he heard a sob, but he saw no actual evidence that she was crying. He wasn't going to embarrass her by mentioning it.

"I will have your results for you within a week."

"That's fine, Severus," she said, sitting on a chair in the garage. It looked … old. As in, his parents' parents could have owned it.

"Dad used to sit in this chair. They didn't have much time away from one another, running a practice together."

"Right." He nodded. He understood.

"So sometimes, he'd come out here and sit. It was only the three of us. My grandparents would come over once in a while, but that was still only five seats. I'm not sure I ever saw this chair at the dining room table where it belonged in my life."

"Take it," he said simply.

Her head snapped up. She didn't look offended, but clearly surprised.

"It's your chair. Take it. It is a connection to your parents. Your father. It belongs to you. Take it home."

"Oh, but…"

"You can bring it back if you decide to rebuild. In fact, I could make you chairs to match it if you wanted five more like it."

She tilted her head then, regarding him. He wasn't sure why.

"You can do that?"

He huffed. "I can."

"Why didn't I know that?"

"Because I'm entitled to have some secrets left!"

She laughed softly, shaking her head. "No, I meant, why are there not Severus Snape original woodworking pieces all over?"

"Because it's a hobby."

"Ah," she said with a nod.

He saw her look at his hands when he set his things down. He thought he saw a blush on her cheeks as she shook her head and then stood. She tapped the back of the chair familiarly.

"Maybe next time."

He nodded. He understood. If she took the chair out of this garage, it would be removing her father. This garage was all that she had left.

He watched as she traced a hand along the edge of a counter. It appeared by the tools and other items in the garage that her father liked to do his own repairs and such. Hopefully, he was better at doing those things than his father had been.

He didn't know what to say, so he observed her.

She had become an attractive witch. One who'd bucked expectations, breaking up with Ronald Weasley. She went to work for Parliament and had really lived a fairly quiet life since the war's end.

He thought back to the night of the ball.

Dancing with her.

She had not been a bad dance partner.

Nor had he minded talking with her. As inane as the topic of driftwood was, he hadn't minded.

He hadn't … enjoyed it until it was mostly over because he kept waiting for the shoe to drop. Rather, the prank to get pulled.

It never came. She'd blushed so … real-like when he kissed the back of her hand when the song finished. She'd bussed a quick kiss to his cheek before they went their separate ways.

And then she was back with her friends.

Draco. … Well, his godson had looked disappointed in him. It was an odd look because right now, Severus was about the only thing Draco held onto as being respectful.

His thoughts went back to Draco's list. And the fact this witch wasn't on it.

Draco.

Draco had given her his address.

Draco had suggested a faux girlfriend.

Draco sent him the list after he'd given Hermione his contact information.

She fit a lot of the parameters Dracos seemed to be focusing on.

And, yet, this witch had not made his godson's list. Why?

"What?" she asked, and he realized he'd been caught staring.

He couldn't see her ever agreeing to such a charade, and apparently neither could Draco.

Except he'd included Rosmerta and Skeeter.

His mind went back to the invitation to dance the night of the ball. Many were frustrated that she was somewhat … stingy with who she danced with. She certainly didn't seek men out to dance with her.

She looked almost bashful currently, and it took him back to the moment she'd asked him, before he'd said no and the look of disappointment in her eyes that followed his rejection of her offer of a dance. She was looking at him that way now. Not disappointment, exactly, but … well, as if she wanted something that he had.

Him.

And that made him … both nervous and rather flattered. This witch could quite literally have anyone she wanted.

How had he not noticed it before now? When had she started looking at him that way? When did Draco know? Did she know Draco knew? She had to.

Did he really need to have a fake girlfriend? Did he really need to put a label on asking a witch to join him for a meal?

If it was any other witch, he'd say no, he didn't. This witch, though. Well, yes. She didn't deserve to be a fake anything.

"Did your parents have a favorite area eatery?" he asked.

"They did," she said, offering him a sort of lopsided smile. As if the answer was both a happy and sad one.

Would it be so bad to have a possible date? A real one, not the charade Draco had suggested. Someone to talk to who wasn't Draco did hold appeal. And, well, any witch with half a brain would stay away from him if he was escorting Hermione Granger somewhere.

What if he was reading her wrong? What if the … clues he'd put together were not what he thought? And yet, he didn't think she'd never speak to him again, or laugh at him, for asking.

"Can I buy you dinner?"

"There?"

"Yes."

She regarded him, shaking her head a bit. He found he was disappointed that she might say no.

"Need a night away from the groupies?"

He scoffed. "It has been unpleasant."

"I can imagine."

"I'm sure you've experienced it more than I have. You're at least attractive."

She walked up to him then, setting a hand against his wrist. "You're attractive, too, Severus."

He tilted his head. "If you say so."

"I do, and they do say I'm the cleverest witch of my age."

"Being clever doesn't mean you have good eyesight."

"Mm," she said, laughing softly.

She knew about the witches.

"You made the list…"

The color on her cheeks was very dark now. Interesting.

"I helped," she said.

"Deliberately leaving your name off?"

"Well, I didn't want you to come to me for a fake date."

"Did Draco want to include you?"

"He said he'd enjoy seeing your reaction, but agreed I shouldn't be included."

"Mm," he said. So his godson and the witch had conspired against him? For him? "Well, I believe I've asked you to dinner."

She squeezed his wrist. Until now, her hand had been just a light weight against it. "As in a date?"

"As in."

She glanced behind her into the garage and then looked at him again.

"Yes."

"Would you have said yes if I did not suggest somewhere around here?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"I think I'd rather be to the kissing stage of dating you before I'm seen with you in the magical world."

He swallowed and she saw him, tracing the path of his Adam's apple with the pad of her index finger. She didn't seem to mind the scars just near there. Honestly, she hadn't the night of the ball either, he recalled. He'd deliberately left his neck uncovered that night. If Kingsley was going to make him be there. Well, fine.

"I see. It's been some time since I've been to the kissing stage of dating."

"Some time?"

"Ever."

"Well, you know what they say."

"Mm?" He had no idea.

"It can be fun for old dogs to learn new tricks."

He gave an amused huff, shaking his head. 

"I have never heard that saying before in my life."

"Are you calling me a liar, Severus?"

"Should I be?"

"Take me to date one, so we can find out when we get to the kissing stage."

"You know where the place is, Witch," he said.

"So I do."

They both ensured the garage was locked up before she slid her arm through his and led him to an area so they could embark upon their first date.

~The End~

Return to Top

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com