1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17




***Chapter One***
November 1999

Hermione heard the bell ringing at the door signaling a customer was coming or going. Since she'd just opened not long ago and this was the first time she heard the bell, it was obviously someone coming in. She knew she needed to put the book away, but it was so … pretty. She paged through it gingerly. Working here allowed her to look through books all that she wanted, but she was careful in doing so. No one wanted to buy a used book at new book prices.

She should get up to the counter and register, or at least see if the customer needed help. It was a Saturday and the day was starting a bit on the chilly side so she hadn't been expecting someone almost as soon as she opened. She was being paid to work not stare at books all day! Well, in theory, the owner knew of her love of books so wouldn't be shocked by her behaviour.

"Hermione? Is that really you?"

Hermione closed the book she was paging through, feeling a little guilty at being caught and more than a little surprised to hear someone call her name. People from campus didn't usually gravitate toward this part of town, which was how she'd found it. Looking to get away from people she saw every day. University students were about all of the people she knew in town. She looked up after setting the book back on the shelf with a soft sigh.

A sigh because it would be a frivolous purchase if she did buy it. She already had a copy, but this was a variant cover of an anniversary release and she was deciding whether she wanted to splurge just for a bit of different artwork on the front and back covers.

This wasn't the first time she'd paged through the book, and she doubted it would be the last until she made her decision (which really meant giving into temptation and buying it). Even at a discounted price due to her position with both the store and its owner it was still hard to justify spending so much on a book she already owned a copy of.

This was the reason she kept looking at it and putting it back. He, of course, had already told her just to take it, but that wasn't right. He wasn't in business to give her books, and it was a bad precedent to set with someone like her. She'd take them all then!

The drawback to working in a bookstore, she was always tempted.

Always.

It was like a curse. Some people collected shoes. She collected books.

"Oh Morgana, Hermione Granger, it is you!"

Well, no that wasn't legally true anymore and hadn't been for two months now. She wasn't going to rush into telling these two that, though.

"Susan! And Justin," she said, eyes going from one to the other. It took her a minute to remember Justin's name.

Of all the people she ever expected to run into here in muggle Liverpool when she was trying very hard to avoid the wizarding world, these two were as close to last on her list as she could get. The fact that she was in the very back of the store and they'd spotted her was quite an accomplishment. She had hardly even been open for the day for fifteen minutes.

What were the odds? What were the odds that they'd come in on a Saturday while she was working as opposed to a weekday when she was in class?

What were they even doing in Liverpool? What were they doing in this store? What were they doing together?

Why were they here! They were going to ruin everything! She didn't know about Justin, last she knew he stopped going to Hogwarts. There was little chance Susan Bones wasn't going to go back to wizarding London and tell people she'd seen Hermione Granger working at a bookstore.

And wouldn't that just be the type of thing that people like the Malfoys and Goyles would salivate over. Hermione Granger having to resort to selling books. She could just picture Draco's sneer as that information processed in his bigoted brain.

Except.

While a half-blood, Susan had never struck Hermione as thinking she was better than anyone.

So, there was the possibility that she could get out of this. Maybe she could kindly ask that Susan say nothing. They weren't friends at Hogwarts exactly, but they'd gotten along well enough. At least Hermione thought so. Enough she hoped that would be sufficient to get the witch to say nothing for now.

Focusing her attention on the couple in front of her. They were looking at her curiously, probably assuming they were seeing things. She had to admit that they looked good. Healthy. She was glad to see that. So many people after the war did not look good and were not healthy.

And they were quite together, too, it seemed.

From the sizable ring on Susan's left ring finger they were more than just together in Liverpool. Hermione couldn't stop the feeling of not jealousy really but she could admit to a bit of envy that coursed through her.

Especially given her current situation. Yes, she had a ring but it wasn't given out of love even if it was a bit nicer than Susan's as far as size and arrangement went. In fact until the other day she'd had just a plain gold band. It had taken him this long to give her the ring he'd told her he needed to locate amongst his things. She'd truthfully assumed he'd either forgotten or didn't intend to give her the ring he'd mentioned at all. She hadn't particularly cared, a wedding ring was a wedding ring in her opinion. It wasn't as if she was an aristocrat who sat with her girlfriends and compared things like that.

It had seemed important to him for some reason.

She'd lost touch with them both after the war as was the case with, well, everyone really. She'd been allowed to sit her NEWTs while everyone else had moved on to their chosen positions. Once that had been accomplished she had then basically fled to the muggle world.

Fled might be too strong of a word. She wasn't escaping. She had every intention of returning once she completed her schooling and everything. It was just too raw, too fresh to go to university and do magical things.

She hadn't wanted to work for the Ministry and she didn't think she had anything that qualified to be a professor. The headmistress had said she had just the position for her. Hermione just didn't want to get trapped into teaching without pursuing her options. Yet anyway. Sadly, other than the Ministry or Hogwarts. There wasn't much else for an eighteen year old to do in the magical world really. So, she'd come here intent on furthering her education so that she could do something more than just the Ministry or be a professor in the magical world.

There had to be more to being magical than those two options in life. There just had to be.

She knew Justin had left before the final battle, but had come back for it. She imagined he finished his education in the muggle world. She had no idea about Susan. She didn't think that was awful. There were so many people to think about! 

Did she have her family home? Were any of her family still alive? She remembered her aunt died while they were at Hogwarts. Fifth or sixth year? She couldn't remember. Hermione was kind of ashamed she hadn't bothered to find things like this out. Until she thought about the fact that she was a little busy most of the time she was at Hogwarts. It wasn't as if she didn't get to know others in lieu of washing her hair or painting her nails.

"How are you?"

"Good," Susan said, smiling a little too brightly Hermione thought.

Hermione couldn't ever remember smiling like that. Her school years prior to Hogwarts hadn't been great and once she got to Hogwarts well, she'd been knee deep first in feeling lonely and as if she'd never fit in anywhere. She went from that right into trying to keep Harry out of trouble, Voldemort, and horcruxes. Oh, she had moments of pleasure and happiness, for sure, but not the type that Susan was clearly under the influence of at the moment.

"You can ask what we're doing here, that's okay," Justin said with a wry smile.

"Okay," she said. "I'll ask then. What are you doing in Liverpool?" She almost said at my bookstore, but it wasn't hers. Well, technically she supposed it was but she'd never lay claim to it.

"Taking in the sights," he said. "I'm a big Beatles fan. Well, Dad is a big Beatles fan and brainwashed me. I'm sure you know how that goes."

"Ah," she said with a knowing nod. "Doctor Who was my dad's thing to brainwash me about when I was little. He was pretty mad when it went off the air." She paused, thinking a moment on that. "God, that was before I got to Hogwarts. So, ten years ago?"

Justin nodded knowingly, obviously familiar with Doctor Who.

Hermione had to admit it was refreshing to mention Doctor Who, or The Beatles, to a wizard who understood the reference. The one time she'd tried to explain Doctor Who to Harry and Ron it had ended up sounding very much like an Abbott and Costello skit (who neither were familiar with either) so she'd given up. Harry, it seemed, had some recollection of the TARDIS but not much more than that about the show. It had actually impressed her, given his treatment by the Dursleys, that he even knew the TARDIS.

"So, are you actually looking for books?"

"Well, I thought I'd look around to see if there was anything here that I can't find elsewhere. It would be a good Christmas present for my dad."

"Well, the owner does have very particular tastes in books," she said. "He also happens to like classic rock and obviously knows Beatles fans will come here so there just may be. Or we may be able to order one if you have a title in mind. I'm sure he'd ship it to you even."

He wouldn't be happy about shipping it to this particular customer she was pretty sure, but he'd do it if it meant getting the sale.

"Good to know. Do you work here then?"

She chuckled softly. She saw the look in his eye. He was judging her. She, the brightest witch of her age and Harry Potter's best friend, was relegated to working retail in muggle Liverpool. She liked Justin, he was nice, but she couldn't imagine that he'd ever be caught dead working retail.

Born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

At least, unlike Draco, he wasn't a prick.

It didn't mean he wasn't judgmental, though, and that there were things that he thought were beneath him. Her parents did well, so some might think it was wrong of her to judge but her parents taught her that work was work. And this wasn't her last stop on the job ladder. This was just the first rung, something she needed to do while going to school.


"Good assumption, just weekends and weekdays around my class schedule. You know, have to buy those outrageously priced textbooks," she said with a slight shrug.

Her parents financial situation was above average before she'd sent them off to Australia, but not to the point of Justin's. At least that was the impression she had anyway. For all she knew he was a blowhard who couldn't rub two knuts together, but she didn't think that was the case.

She knew Justin didn't know about having to work to ensure a roof was kept over his head. She suspected Susan probably did, and wondered if that wasn't the reason behind their engagement. In Hermione's experience with people like Draco and Sirius, as much as she hated to think it because it was completely against how she'd been raised, purebloods and more than a few half-bloods tended to not want to have to work for their money.

She hated being so pessimistic, especially knowing nothing about their relationship.

She was a realist, though. And yet, maybe they were truly in love.

Being a realist didn't mean that she believed there was no such thing as love. She hoped there was or the world was kind of doomed. She'd spent seven years fighting hate. It was time for love to prevail.

It wasn't her business why they were getting married, so she should just assume they'd reconnected and fallen in love. That was what they fought for, after all. So that Justin could marry a witch without fear of blowback.

Susan's eyes dropped to the ring on Hermione's left ring finger. It was obviously old, ornate, and expensive. If circumstances were different Hermione would have kind of enjoyed the look of envy on Susan's face. Not that she was shallow or vindictive, she really wasn't.

Hermione just had very little experience with people being envious of her over anything but her academic achievements.

"Are you planning on working in the muggle world full-time then?" Justin asked, his arm tugging Susan a little closer to him. It was sweet actually. Not possessive from what she could tell anyway. He just clearly seemed to want to touch his witch.

She sighed a bit, admittedly a little envious. Maybe one day she'd be that witch, too? They'd get to the point where they were no longer getting to know one another and adjusting to living with someone else. They'd get comfortable with their situation and one another.

Wouldn't they?

They had to! He wouldn't have made the offer if he didn't at least plan on trying. Would he have?

"I'm actually going to university. Studying to be a psychologist. Then I'm hoping to open a practice where I can service both muggle and wizarding London and possibly consult with St. Mungo's before I can open my own wizarding practice."

"I think that's a great idea," Justin said while Susan was notably confused by Hermione's chosen career path.

"Psychologists are kind of doctors, but for the mind. Mental health and what not," Justin explained to Susan. She nodded, clearly getting it now.

"Oh, well, yes, I can't think of anyone else to bring such a thing to the wizarding world and have it be accepted."

"Thank you, I sure hope so."

Hermione wasn't sure if Susan was sincere or not, but she sure truly hoped she was. More than that, though, she hoped the witch was right. She knew old-school wizards and witches like the Malfoys and Weasleys wouldn't understand and would likely scoff at her efforts and the very idea of unloading their thoughts and feelings on an essential stranger.

It was what led to her breaking up with Ron. He didn't think what she was doing was as important as having more Weasleys. He also didn't understand why anyone would use the type of services she wanted to make a career of providing.

Susan, on the other hand, likely would understand since Hermione thought most of her family had been wiped out between both wars. Ron, other than Fred of course, had gotten off quite well in comparison. Yes, she knew Mrs. Weasley lost her brothers, but Ron was so little he didn't even remember them. She wasn't sure either that using Mrs. Weasley as the norm for the grief process was a good gauge either.

Not that it wasn't still a loss. Of course it was. Ron had no recollection of his uncles since he was so young when they died. Hermione wasn't sure Ginny had ever met them. George lost his twin. Hell, she missed Fred and couldn't imagine how his parents and siblings were feeling. It was different, though. They still had other family members. Susan did not.

Sure, she wanted children. One day. They were not all that she wanted from life, though. She wanted someone who would not just support her work but encourage it. She wanted someone who would be faithful to her probably most of all. Ron couldn't understand the former want and seemed incapable of adhering to her desires regarding the latter.

"So you and Ron," Justin asked, gesturing to her left hand and the adornment there that indicated she was someone's wife.

Funny thing, Severus had only found the ring a couple of days ago. He'd told her when he'd given her the plain gold band the day they married that he had a different one for her but wasn't entirely sure where it was since it had been his mother's. How or why his mother had it since her family had disowned her he didn't seem to know.

"Broke up shortly after the final battle," she said.

Susan's eyes drifted to Hermione's ring finger again. The final battle had been only a year and a half ago.

"No," she said simply to Susan's unasked question.

Susan's eyes widened a bit and Hermione imagined what the other witch was thinking. She didn't waste any time finding someone other than Ron if she met someone within the past year and a half and was already married.

Just wait until they found out who her husband was!

She knew what Ron would think. And say. He would not be kind. To her or her husband. He'd accuse her of being the one who had been unfaithful. Hardly. They weren't even officially a couple!

Despite knowing without a doubt that they were not involved while she was a student he'd say something mean spirited about her grades being earned on her back instead of through hard work. It was part of the reason she stayed away.

Really she, Hermione Jean Granger, the brightest witch of her age, was in this position because she'd been presented with a deal that she just couldn't see how she could turn down. There was quite a process in getting her parents declared dead since she'd changed their names. That was on the way to being done now, thankfully.

Getting financial aid of any kind based on their income had been … difficult. Not to mention her academic records were sketchy-seeming since she'd left the magical world and hadn't been back to get Headmistress McGonagall, or anyone else for that matter, to help her.

She thought she was going to have to drop out before she even began. She could afford classes and books, but room and board was too expensive. She'd left her advisor's office in tears after they'd crunched the numbers together. She hadn't prayed in a very long time and felt guilty for doing it then because she'd been taught praying wasn't a gumball machine where you put a prayer in expecting to get something to come out immediately. She had gone to the church she'd attended as a child and did it anyway.

It was a result of those prayers though that she'd stumbled into this bookstore, and its owner, the next day. At least she liked to think so because she'd never been in the vicinity of the bookstore before then. She normally didn't venture away from the university campus. She really had no reason to. Something had made her, though. She wanted to get away, see if there was anything she could find to help her.

She'd seen the display in the window as she passed by and was drawn in. She still hadn't asked him if he'd bespelled the display somehow to get people to come in. She preferred to think it wasn't his influence and something else entirely at work.

She'd taken it as a sign.

He'd taken it as an invasion of the privacy he deeply craved, earned with years worth of blood, sweat, and tears, and viciously protected. She couldn't blame him for that.

She'd talked him into letting her work for him. Certainly she'd be better at dealing with customers and computers than he was, and her being there would free him up to buy the rare and coveted texts he prided himself on stocking.

Or whatever it was Severus Snape wanted to do with some free time. Brewing was in there she'd known.

She wasn't earning a huge wage, but he had given her more than she could fathom someone who'd once upon a time disliked her giving her.

For her future.

Their flat was above the store, which was right along the Mersey not far from the University of Liverpool campus.

And here they were. Living a somewhat normal life. It wasn't an arranged marriage, but it was one of convenience. She liked to think they were slowly becoming friends, though.

Only her husband knew the truth and only he ever would. He'd offered her a deal, she'd taken it. Some would say she prostituted herself, but she didn't see it that way. He hadn't even really kissed her let alone expected sex from her. She hadn't figured out exactly what he got out of their deal other than the potential for an heir once she was established in her career.

An heir.

One.

He didn't want a half dozen or more. He wanted one. Of course that would mean at some point they'd have to share a bed, but she'd cross that bridge when it came. The idea today was less … unfathomable than it had been two months ago when she'd initially agreed.

She hadn't found the idea offensive or anything. He probably thought that she would or had. Not so. She wouldn't have agreed if she had. He just seemed … above such things. He wasn't totally human in her eyes at the time. He was slowly becoming so, though.

When she was established in her career suggested, too, that he was willing to wait a few years. That certainly wasn't selling her body, or her soul.

In exchange for the potential of an heir he assisted her with payments for school, gave her room and board, and employed her so she had pocket money of her own. The only thing he requested out of her was fidelity.

That was easy to give as paper-only or not he was her husband and she would never betray that. She wouldn't insult him in that way. He'd been through enough, and she didn't even know all of it! He hadn't asked for a wand oath or anything, just took her at her word that if she said she'd be faithful she would be.

She wasn't built that way and he seemed to know that. She suspected that was the reason he'd made her the offer he had. She couldn't see him making it to anyone else. Hadn't she proven to be faithful by standing by Harry through all of his shenanigans for six years?

"And you two?"

"Well, Susan and I ran into each other at one of the memorial services in the spring."

Hermione nodded. It made sense. Justin was a pretty good person overall and Susan was, too. He wasn't a pure or even half-blood, but he was from a well-off family so probably was accustomed to many of the nicer things Susan was.

"I'm working at the Ministry," Susan said. "Entry level but hopefully that won't last long."

"They'd be a fool to let you sit too long," Hermione said sincerely. She didn't get to know Susan real well, but she hadn't stood out as being someone like Pansy or Lavender. Dunderheads as her husband would call them. They'd gotten along for the most part when their paths crossed.

"And I'm, like you, a university student. I am living with my parents for the time being."

"It's so fascinating," Susan gushed, beaming at Justin.

"The muggle world can be that," Hermione admitted.

"I felt the same way when I first went to Diagon Alley," Justin said.

"Me, too! My parents and I couldn't believe it," Hermione said.

She imagined the excitement she saw in Justin's eyes thinking of the memory of her first encounter matched her own.

She wasn't mad at the wizarding world. She didn't want to abandon it forever. She just wanted to have her life in order before she returned completely because when she decided to, the shit would probably hit the fan. She wanted to be ready to get to work.

"Right? Within our grasp the entire time."

"It is rather impressive that the two worlds are kept apart."

Justin nodded.

"So, are you just here for the weekend?"

"Yes. I just happened to see your store and thought I'd stop in. I know stores like this one are the ones that have the good stuff."

"I know he tries," she said.

"Well, we'll browse for a bit. Maybe we can have dinner or something while we're in town?"

"I'd have to check my schedule."

"Your husband, too, of course," Justin said. "I have to admit if it's not Ron I'm curious."

"Um, well," Hermione said.

Something told her the store hours or her studying weren't going to deter them. If they were vacationing they'd say they could meet for breakfast or a post-dinner nightcap later in the evening.

Crap.

Did he want to go public with their marriage like this? Because if Justin and Susan found out. Well, sooner or later they'd tell someone who would tell someone else.

And so on.

It wasn't as if it was a secret, exactly. He introduced her to patrons and work associates as his wife. Those people weren't magical people. He may tell people his wife helps with his brewing, but as far as she knew he'd never told any of those magical customers exactly who his wife was.

****

He stood on the other side of the storeroom door, sighing softly. He hadn't sworn her to secrecy or anything. Even he knew making the offer of marriage but suggesting she couldn't tell anyone would not be received well. He wasn't a complete dolt despite what many thought about him when it came to social endeavours. They had married the muggle way at a courthouse not in the wizarding world for a reason. She would know that as she wasn't a dolt either.

He knew that he was the reason for her hesitancy in accepting the dinner invitation. He hadn't exactly gone to any effort to show her off. He talked about her, of course. She'd seemed okay with that, though. He didn't see her rushing off to introduce him to those she knew at university either. Neither wanted to be in the Daily Prophet again anytime soon.

Why he actually went through with marrying her when she shockingly said she would accept his offer he still couldn't say. He should have said it was a joke, he'd still assist her with her school finances, and they could find some way for her to pay him back later once she was established. She was obviously determined to pursue this career path. He found listening to her ideas that she had a valid thought process. He suddenly found himself alive long after what he believed his expiration date to have been.

She'd needed help, he'd needed a clerk. The potential for an heir. Well, in truth, he'd never hold her to that. When her schooling was finished and she'd started on her career he'd give her an out. She had agreed, though, without any apparent revulsion at the thought of being in the position to produce an heir with him. She wasn't a naive chit either and knew very well what producing an heir would entail.

He was no closer at forty to having an heir than twenty years ago. He'd be hard-pressed to have a more suitable woman to bear him a child when it got down to it. She was intelligent and not frivolous. She was grounded and he knew when she agreed to his condition of fidelity that she meant it and would not break that commitment.

She'd looked so distraught when he'd seen her initially that he'd gone against everything that was normal for him and offered her tea.

And an objective, non-judgmental ear.

Lord, how she'd talked.

Endlessly.

He'd managed to escape being a Death Eater with only one death on his soul. That of his only friend. Someone who'd forced him to do it for the greater good. Supposedly. Severus could admit it had worked, but he couldn't help but think there had to have been a better way. He hadn't come up with an alternative, and it frankly didn't matter after the fact.

Listening to her go on and on (and on), though, had made him question his sanity and wisdom in … extending himself as much as he had. He'd listened, though, he was proficient at that by now.

She'd come back a couple of days later and offered herself as his clerk on a part-time basis so she could save for a flat that would be appropriate yet affordable for a young single woman in muggle Liverpool.

She had money, he knew. Between an inheritance from her parents' due to their deaths (despite her efforts to hide them) and the stipend from her Order of Merlin, First Class she wasn't destitute. The fact that she wanted to work despite that means had impressed him.

He'd come to find out when they ironed out their agreement that she was still working on getting her parents declared deceased. It wasn't as easy as it should have been since they were living under an assumed name and hadn't named her in any of those documents.

She'd undersold her worth (and he didn't mean financial worth either) and he knew he was going to hire her as soon as she mentioned the possibility of being his employee at the wage she'd mentioned.

He'd sweetened the pot, though, by offering her room and board. In addition to the flat above the store, the building had a basement. Currently, it housed his lab for the potions business he did on the side. With her as his employee he could focus more on his brewing, expand his reach which he very much looked forward to doing. If need be, he could do some remodeling so the basement was habitable as a second domicile yet still retaining its obvious business appearance if he chose to move on from this venture one day.

She'd left, beaming at him. He hadn't understood the reaction. No one beamed at him.

A few days of them working together and he realized that she wasn't nearly as tedious or annoying as he'd believed her to be as a student. She had good ideas on how to organize the store and knew more about things like the muggle Internet than he likely ever would.

He broached the subject of marriage, to give her a name (not that there was anything wrong with her own) and assistance with her schooling. He had expected her to say no. He'd assumed she'd laugh at him, truthfully.

Who in their right mind would want to marry him, after all? Especially a witch not yet twenty with her whole future ahead of her. Even for monetary reasons.

She'd said yes, though, after thinking about it for a day or so.

There had been no tension or uncomfortableness between them as she thought over what her decision to his question would be. They both went about their days as they normally did. One would be hard-pressed to tell she was thinking about a decision that could affect the rest of her life.

And his.

They were married in a civil ceremony the day after her decision (which as it turned out was her birthday, but he hadn't known that until later). Two days later they went to the church she'd been raised with and the priest who had baptized her sanctified their marriage.

Just like that he had a wife, something he certainly never saw himself being able to lay claim to.

Fact of the matter was, two months into this arrangement he'd grown more than just rather fond of the witch on the other side of the door who now carried his name. She'd wormed her way into his life to the point he couldn't go to sleep until she was home from campus on those evenings she stayed late.

It wasn't out of fear that she was doing things she shouldn't be either. That would be easy to do. There were no doubt younger as well as loads more personable and attractive options available to her. Yet, she'd promised fidelity, hadn't batted an eyelash or flinched at the audacity of his expecting it from her.

So, no it wasn't fear she was engaging in activities she shouldn't be so soon into their nuptials.

He was concerned.

Worried.

He cared.

Things he swore never to feel again. And if he were being truthful, very different from what he had experienced with Lily.

So, did he present himself to Miss Bones and Mr. Finch-Fletchley as her husband? Or as her boss?

Neither had any desire to go into the wizarding world for the time being so they hadn't really discussed what they'd say, who'd they tell. The chances of meeting anyone who knew them from that world were really quite slim. What were the odds someone would show up in Liverpool at his small bookstore along the Mersey?

Or so Severus had thought.

Evidently, the odds were pretty good.

Who knew?

Of course Finch-Fletchley's father was a Beatles fan and would pass that love onto him who'd decide to spend a weekend with his fiancee here.

His wife seemed rather oblivious to his growing feelings for her. He chalked that up to her being busy working and attending school full-time. He didn't work her like a dog. He was more than lenient with the hours she manned the store. Her education was far more important than him not having to deal with customers for an extra hour or two a day.

Would his former students, and her former classmates, recognize his feelings? Would she be embarrassed to have him publicly make a claim on her in such a fashion?

Get a hold of yourself, Man.

You were a spy, survived two wars, and rounds of torture including the cruciatus curse. You can face two former students and convince them that you and your on-paper-only wife are more than that. After all, how pathetic would it be for them to find that out after what Potter shouted from the rooftops about you and your pathetic love life prior to the fall of the Dark Lord that you couldn't even get a wife in the proper way?

He took a deep breath, forcing himself to get himself under control and into his store owner persona. Thinking about Potter would not do that.

Of course it wasn't much of a persona. He was, in fact, a store owner. Two if one wanted to get technical even if his potions business was only mail-order.

For now.

He pulled open the door and walked out, eyeing the couple who had their backs to him so weren't aware of his presence yet. His eyes fell on her and she looked panicked.

Beautiful to his eyes, but panicked.

About him?

"Mrs. Snape. Are you in need of assistance?"

She didn't look upset.

That was good.

"You may be able to help. You remember Justin, Severus. He's looking for something regarding The Beatles he won't find anywhere else."

"Ah," Severus said with a slight nod of his head. If it was information about The Beatles the young wizard wanted, Severus would provide it happily.

"A fan of The Fab Four, Mr. Finch-Fletchley?"

"Yes, Professor," he said. "I mean, my dad is and I guess therefore I am."

"That is often the way it works. I will gladly show you a couple of texts that may interest you, or your father. However, I am not your professor any longer."

"Right, sure, Mr. Snape. Habit," he said, following Severus.

"You're married to Severus Snape," Susan said none too quietly because Severus heard her quite clearly. Perhaps it was years of trying to glean anything from conversations around him. Or the witch was just not subtle at all.

"I am," Hermione said. "Susan, you work at the Ministry. Justin seems to be in the muggle world. We're kind of…"

"I get it. You don't want the Daily Prophet to get wind."

"Exactly! I mean, he's my husband, but we'd prefer to do things in our own time. We're just trying to take some time we both need. You know? He almost died. I spent a year on the run. I want to finish my education and then we'll decide when we want to return. When we do, we'll decide when the timing is right. Together."

"I'd say you're obviously doing something right," she said with a knowing smirk and a saucy tone that made her meaning clear.

"Miss Bones," Severus said quickly. "Don't be crude."

"Sorry, Mr. Snape," she said, looking properly chastised. "I'm sorry, Hermione, I wasn't trying to be. I'm glad you found someone. I know it wasn't easy. I don't know what that year was like, I can imagine."

"No," she said simply "You really can't. I know you at Hogwarts had your own issues. I'm not saying ours were worse."

He scoffed silently at that. Of course her issues were worse. Hogwarts at least had heat, warm beds, and proper food.

"Were you and Snape…"

"It's Mr. Snape, and no, of course not!"

Severus and Miss Bones' fiance returned to them. The younger wizard had two texts regarding The Beatles he was going to purchase. Severus knew whether they were for his father or if he ended up keeping them he'd be happy with his purchases.

"She found and helped care for me while I healed, Miss Bones. And the rest they say," he said, sliding an arm around Hermione's waist. "Is history." He leaned down, kissing the top of her head.

"And the future it would seem," Justin said.

"How fun. Congratulations, Sir," Miss Bones said.

"Mr. Snape will be fine. Or if you'd still like to join us for a meal, Severus would do."

"Really? Yes," she said. "We'd love to," her wizard said, overlapping with her comment.

Hermione glanced up at him, clearly surprised by his agreement to eat with them.

"The store, Severus?"

"I can put a closed sign on the door very easily."

"If you're sure."

"Maybe we could talk them into a muggle film as well. You deserve a break from studying for an evening."

"Yes! There's a movie starring Drew Barrymore and David Arquette that looks really funny," Justin said. "Susan's never been."

"Sure," Hermione said, staring at Severus as if he'd grown a second head.

He supposed he should up his wooing game a bit if he ever hoped for their marriage to become a true one in every sense of the word. He realized they'd never even had an actual date. Mentally he chided himself. They were both so busy it was easy to put it off.

"Are they a couple in it?" his wife asked. "She does a lot of romantic comedies lately it seems."

Susan looked as confused by the question as Severus was sure he did.

"I don't know," the other wizard said with a chuckle. So whatever he said must have been amusing. "I guess we'll find out. Should we meet you here?"

"That would be fine. Our quarters are upstairs," Severus said, hoping admitting to such wasn't a mistake.

"Say six o'clock?" Justin said.

"Great," Hermione said, offering the other couple a smile.

She ran her thumb along the band of her wedding ring. It was a nervous habit she had much like biting her lower lip. He often wondered what was going through her mind when she did either of these things. It was something he wanted to get to the bottom of.

One of many somethings about his witch he wanted to get to the bottom of. Literally and figuratively as it so happened.

"I came up to see if you had those invoices for me," he said as he followed the other three to the counter so Hermione could check them out.

"Oh, yes," Hermione said. She found the invoices in question and gave them to him.

"Thank you, Hermione," he said, kissing her politely before taking said invoices from her so that he could return to his lab. He had a raven he used for deliveries and living on the water as they did no one paid much attention to birds flying around or where they went. "Prepare a sign to put on the door with our early closing time."

"Absolutely," she said, looking rather amazed that he was really doing this.

Truthfully, he was a little amazed himself. He couldn't deny, though, that spending some time with others from the magical world knowing it didn't mean being back in it with both feet held appeal to him. And the happy look on her face did, too. She deserved a break.

"Great, time to make Huginn earn his keep," he said. "See you later then, Miss Bones and Mr. Finch-Fletchley. Mrs. Snape," he said, bowing his head before taking his leave through the door that led to a hallway. The stairs to his left would lead to their quarters upstairs and his lab downstairs. The storage area and small office for the store was back here, too.



"He brews downstairs," she said by way of explanation once he'd left.

"Ah. He seems different," Susan said.

"Different?" Hermione said.

"Yes! First of all, he called you Hermione and he kissed you!"

"Well, he is my husband, Susan. He's more than allowed to do both."

God, she wished he'd do more than both! He'd been more than kind and generous so she hadn't pushed her luck, but the more time they spent together she wanted to truly be his wife. Or at least start on the path of that happening. That would mean kissing, wouldn't it?

"Thank you, Hermione," Justin said when she gave him his purchases.

"Thank you. See you guys in a couple of hours."

"We'll be here," Justin said.

"You'll love muggle movies, Susan," Hermione said.

"I've enjoyed most everything Justin has shown me about your world."

Hermione smiled a little at that. She watched them leave, sighing softly. She spun her wedding ring around on her finger with the thumb and index fingers of her right hand. Would they tell anyone? Would Susan let it slip to someone at the Ministry? No one knew exactly where she was right now. Harry knew she was in muggle Britain attending university. She wanted it to stay that way for now.

She'd written to him, of course, told him that she needed time. She sent a letter every two to three months or so just letting him know that she was, in fact, alive and well. She assumed he passed the information along to whoever else might be concerned and that Ronald would realize by the fact that she wrote to Harry and only Harry that she had moved on.

Her right hand dropped from her ring to her abdomen, rubbing lightly. She'd see the wizarding world again in fifteen or so years if nothing else assuming she got pregnant right away. She had to admit the idea of having a child with someone as brilliant as Severus was about as ideal as it could get for her. The possibilities for that child were pretty outstanding as far as she was concerned. She knew Severus wouldn't begrudge him or her a magical education when that time came.

Return to Top


***Chapter Two***

Severus closed the store at five o'clock so that she had time to get ready. She appreciated that. She took her time in the bath cleansing, shampooing, conditioning, exfoliating, and ensuring everywhere needing shaving was.

They hadn't really been out together since the day they were married. Not like this.

Was it a date?

She didn't know. She was treating it like one, though. A date with her husband. Odd perhaps, but she didn't care. She hadn't dressed up and primped herself since…

Yule Ball probably.

Well, she wasn't going to think about that.

Not tonight.

Black skirt with a white peasant top that showed a good amount of cleavage and just a bit of her stomach and a pair of dressy black boots with a nice heel without being crazily high she was good as far as her outfit went. A little bit of makeup to show she put forth an effort but not so much that it looked like too much of one.

"You look lovely," he said when she made her way to the living room.

The compliment made her blush. Did he find her lovely? Or was he just being kind because he knew she'd put in some effort and it was expected of him to say that? She wished she knew. He was incredibly hard to read, the war being over didn't change that.

She hoped he did at any rate.

"Thank you," she said, ducking her head a bit.

She could acknowledge that she liked that he took the time to notice what she was wearing so she'd accept the compliment as if he meant it. That meant he paid attention. She liked that thought.

He'd dressed somewhat for the occasion, too, she noticed. Black trousers instead of jeans (not that she minded him in jeans at all!) and a black silk shirt that she couldn't help but wonder if it would feel as smooth as it looked. She swallowed as she realized like her scars showing with her chosen top, he'd left the collar of his shirt open as well.

"Glamour?" she asked, holding out her left arm.

She'd found him casting the glamour was more potent. She didn't hide the word on her arm, but muggles would see a tattoo. Those from the magical world saw the real thing. She was not hiding who or what she was from anyone. She just didn't want muggles asking questions that she couldn't answer truthfully. Mudblood would make no sense to a muggle. She did not want to lie to friends she met on campus about everything.

"And you look nice yourself," she said.

He bowed his head slightly as he cast the glamour that would make muggles see a rose and heart instead of a word that meant nothing to them. He had vowed to work on a salve and a spell he was hoping would pull out the curse and allow the wound to finally heal. To this point, the salve he had on hand was making a difference. It was no longer infected looking at any rate. She couldn't wait to see what one he made designed with this wound in mind might do if this one was already improving it.

He held his free hand up once he was done with the glamour, presenting her with a rose.

"Severus," she said, taking the beautiful flower and sniffing it. "It's lovely, thank you."

He cleared his throat, clearly not comfortable with her praise. She found it rather endearing. "Thank you for agreeing to spending the evening with me socially."

She bit her lower lip, stifling the quiver of a smirk she wanted to give him in response. He was her husband, it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities they'd spend an evening socially together. "You are welcome, of course."

"You are aware that I may not talk much, correct?"

She smirked full-on with that. "I am aware as are Susan and Justin, I'm sure. That's okay. I imagine Justin and I will do more than enough talking for you."

"That was my presumption," he said. "I just didn't want it to come back and bite me later."

"It won't. I promise."

"Thank you. Shall we then?"

He gestured to the door. Was he going to open it for her? Her heart skipped a beat at that thought. He hadn't thanked her for going on a date with him, but socially implied that. Didn't it? And he wanted to open the door for her?

Was she reading into things? She took a step toward the door, realizing she still held the rose.

"Oh, let me put this in water before we go! It's lovely, really, I don't want it to be dead when we get back."

He smirked at her, and she realized how ridiculous that sounded. They were magical, they could bring it back to life. She wasn't sure how good that was for things, though. It deserved to be treated properly.

He waited while she found a tall glass that would serve as a vase well enough and put some water in it before putting the lone rose in. He didn't have much reason to have a bud vase on hand, she supposed. She could transfigure something into one, but that was just not necessary. If he got her one again she'd think about getting one.

Or maybe he would.

She took a deep breath, hoping the butterflies in her stomach would calm down. She'd never gotten a flower for virtually no reason before.

"Did you get lost?"

"Funny wizard," she said, joining him. Their flat was not that large. "I'm ready now."

He did indeed help her into her coat and open the door for her that led from their living area to the hall. They made their way downstairs into the store, seeing that Justin and Susan were waiting for them outside. Severus slid his hand to the small of her back as he opened the door, allowing her to exit first. He locked the door and with a flick of his wrist set his wards wandlessly.

"Impressive," Justin said.

"Thank you, Mr. Finch-Fletchley."

She could tell, though, by his tone that he'd found Justin's compliment somewhat amusing. His magical abilities were impressive, but all one had to do was realize that if Tom Riddle could not defeat Albus Dumbledore but believed Severus Snape might, that meant that wandlessly locking their door and setting the wards was kid stuff to him.

"You know, that's a mouthful. You can just call me Justin."

"Very well," he said. "And mine is Severus, of course. To you as well, Miss Bones."

"Susan," she said, clearly surprised.

Severus offered Hermione his hand, which she took. She laced her fingers through his, and he squeezed her hand slightly.

"There's a restaurant not far from the theater where the movie is showing. Do you want to eat before or after?" Justin asked.

"Either works."

"After," Justin said.

So they made their way to the movie theater first.

 

"That was not so bad," Severus said against her ear when the credits started to roll at the end of Never Been Kissed. She shivered slightly, hoping he didn't think she was offended or something he got so close to her. "I'm not sure I'm familiar with anything she's done except that movie about an alien."

"E.T.," Hermione said. She turned to look at him then. He knew that movie? "Did you see it?"

"No, muggle movies weren't really my thing at the time," he said somewhat dourly. "I saw a poster for it I believe, and heard people talk about it."

"Oh," she said, thinking over when E.T. had come out. She supposed he had a point.

How had he even heard of it then? Muggleborns in his classes maybe? It was the only thing she could think of that made sense. She didn't imagine at that point in time he was spending much time in the muggle world.

Then again, he was spying by then. Wasn't he? No, Voldemort would have been defeated by then she believed. Still, though, he imagined he was under a lot of pressure and scrutiny. Maybe he went to the muggle world to get away once in a while. There was something to think about. What did twenty-something year old Severus Snape do when he needed a break from Dumbledore and wizarding London?

Things about him she didn't know and she really didn't feel right asking him. It was a long time ago and a point in time she knew he was not proud of. Maybe one day!

"Well, obviously she's still gainfully employed as you can see."

"Indeed. And again it was rather enjoyable," he admitted.

The four of them had laughed, some louder than others.

They made their way to the restaurant down the street from the theater Justin had mentioned. Hermione was thrilled Severus held her hand the entire way. The butterflies in her stomach were quite active all the way until he pulled her chair out for her at the table. She could definitely get used to this. Was it for the benefit of Susan and Justin he was doing these things? Or was this what he wanted to do?

"So, when are you two getting married?" Hermione asked once they'd ordered. It seemed a good question to ask.

"In June actually, the twenty-forth."

"How nice," Hermione said.

She'd have to remember to ask Severus if June weddings were a thing in the magical world, too. She presumed so, if Susan chose the date. Or maybe that was just when they wanted to get married.

"And you two?"

"September twentieth," Severus said.

"Neither of us wanted a wedding," Hermione said.

"And since we were married the day after her birthday I'll either always forget or remember both."

"Is that why you chose that date?" Hermione asked.

"No," he said. "I wanted to marry you and didn't want to wait until the next week or next month. It just so happened to be the day after your birthday."

"Sneaky bastard," she muttered, leaning in to kiss him lightly so he (and the couple they were with) knew she was teasing.

"Yes, well, you read the warning labels before agreeing to be my wife and I'd say sneaky bastard was probably tops on the list."

"He's not wrong," Justin said with a laugh.

"No, he's not," Susan agreed.

Hermione rolled her eyes, but couldn't argue with any of them. He was alive and breathing, married to her here in Liverpool as a result of being a successful sneaky bastard.

"So, what else have you done while you've been here?"

"A bit of this and that. Museums and just walking around. Shopping, of course."

"And you go back tomorrow?"

"Yes, unfortunately. Classes won't wait, and Susan has to go back to work. How are your classes going?"

"Very well," she said with a nod.

It was an honest answer. Now that she didn't have to fret over money and how she was going to eat and sleep she was really enjoying school. University was so different from Hogwarts. Yes, of course, there were some there who didn't want to do their work, but mostly she was surrounded by people who wanted to learn and do the work to get their degrees so they could become successful and contributing adults. It was rather nice.

"How far ahead are you?"

Severus scoffed next to her and she blushed. "Pay no attention to him! Not that much, really. I do read ahead when I can."

"Apparently I have more influence over her than Potter or Weasley ever did because she'll actually join me in watching television once in a while in the evenings."

"What he isn't telling you is that in addition to the store he also brews. All of the time!"

"You help."

"I know. I love helping you, you know that I do. I'm just pointing out that you're not exactly a man of leisure with unlimited freetime yourself."

"Very true, and that is why we are well-suited. Neither of us like to have idle hands or minds."

 

They stayed for hours. As he said before the evening even began, Severus did not talk much. He did listen intently as Susan filled them in on goings on in the magical world. Harry's activities were still reported on pretty much daily in the Daily Prophet. Ron's supposed numerous affairs seemed to be popular fodder as well for Rita Skeeter.

Hermione suspected this was pure conjecture on Skeeter's part. Susan mentioned that she hadn't seen any evidence that what Skeeter printed was actually true about anyone. As if there was anything else! While she believed Ron was not living life as a monk. She knew he wasn't trying to be the next Hugh Hefner either. She had no doubt that he was dating, but a date did not always include sex. He really was a better man than that.

Hermione not being seen was causing some gossip it seemed, but Harry assured anyone he could that she was alive and well attending university and preferring to be left alone at this time. He'd told everyone that she had earned that right and there was no doubt in his mind, or Ron's, that she would pursue university education once finished at Hogwarts. Anyone who thought otherwise didn't know Hermione Granger's thirst for knowledge.

"Do they know?" Susan asked.

"No," Hermione said. "I've sent Harry letters, so he knows I am really alive and well. I'm just," she sighed. Severus took hold of her hand and squeezed. "It's just still a bit much to process."

"Hey, you have to do what's best for you. Only you know what that is," Justin said. "I felt bad that I quit, you know? Guilty. I had, too, though. My parents were freaking out. I'm surprised yours left you at Hogwarts."

"They didn't know. Not the extent of everything. They trusted me to tell them if I wanted to leave."

"And you never did? Maybe that was my problem, I told them too much. They asked, though!"

"I never did. Harry is my best friend. I would never have left him to die. I'm not the only one who kept him alive, but I certainly helped give him a better chance."

"You did," Susan said. "He's said so many times."

Their dinner and conversation finished, the couples went their separate ways. Justin and Susan walked, presumably, toward their hotel while Severus and Hermione went to their store. They went around to the other side where the entrance to the building was from the water. Here they didn't have to go through the store in order to get to their quarters.

"Telly?" Severus said once she slid off her boots.

They were one of the most frivolous, girlie things that she'd ever invested in. The heel wasn't obscenely high, but it certainly made her less than the six inches shorter than Severus she normally was when she wasn't wearing them.

"I wonder how long I'll be able to wear those?"

"What?" He frowned as he looked from her to the boots. She smirked a bit at his confusion. She supposed it wouldn't occur to him that she wasn't used to wearing heels so high.

"Bad weather and heels," she said.

They weren't overly comfortable for long periods of time, honestly, and weren't the type she would want to wear on icy walkways and streets. They were stylish, and Hermione had fallen in love with them when she saw them even if she knew they'd be impractical a few months out of the year walking around a campus.

"Ah," he said. "Well, you probably shouldn't be wearing heels that high when you're walking around campus in the winter anyway." As if he knew what she'd just been thinking! It was eerie sometimes when he said things like that, echoing her thoughts.

"Afraid I'm going to trip and fall?"

He closed the distance between them, cupping her chin with the palm of his hand. His hands weren't what most would normally find soothing. They were scarred, calloused, and rough in places but if one truly watched him use them they'd realize how graceful he was. He talked about foolish wand waving, and there were times now she thought it was a shame he used his hands for potions work instead of that. Of course she could watch him for hours preparing his ingredients for whatever brew he was working on. When he used his wand, though, or his hands to do wandless magic. Well, it was entrancing and she didn't believe he had a clue what he looked like. How powerful and sexy he looked.

Then again, she wasn't sure anyone had gotten close enough to him to be able to observe him in the same way she had the past couple of months.

"I don't want anything more to mar you, Madam Snape. Certainly not on my watch."

She moved her head a bit so that she could kiss the palm of his hand. "That's very sweet, Severus. Thank you."

"I speak the truth."

She tried to ignore the heat in her belly that simple statement caused. He wanted to keep her safe! She was no helpless melodrama heroine, but it was nice to know he wanted to protect her. She wanted to protect him, too. She knew, for instance, the movie tonight. Being social. Neither of those things were his idea of a great Saturday night.

"Did you have a horrible time?"

"It wasn't horrible, no," he said. "It was a nice change."

"I'm glad."

 

She truly was. She knew spending an evening with two magical people had not been on his immediate list of things to do. He'd agreed, though, she presumed for her. She appreciated that. That also meant, she just realized now, that he'd heard part of her conversation with Justin and Susan earlier in the store. How much she wondered?

"Now if anyone shows up on our doorstep…"

"I don't think they will. I think they understand."

He nodded, but his eyes were serious as he regarded her. "Understanding and being able to keep a secret don't always go hand in hand."

"You're right."

"Are you prepared for that, Madam Snape?"

"I am," she said, lifting her chin defiantly. "I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of. I'm certainly not embarrassed about being Madam Snape."

He smirked slightly at that. Why did that amuse him?

"And instead people will think I confounded and took advantage of you before you could realize what was truly going on."

Ah!

That was why that amused him.

It wasn't true amusement, but assumption that his character would be called into question - again - about something that had never once come up during trials. He wasn't a pedophile and would not have abused his power as someone's professor in such a fashion. She knew that. Anyone who had him as a student would know that. There were some, though, that liked to forget or create drama and gossip where there was none.

She moved her hands to his neck, sliding them over his shoulders.

"I will never allow anyone to believe that, Severus. Ever."

"I know," he said. "I mean I know that you wouldn't and I appreciate you saying so. That will not stop some from thinking it, Hermione."

"Well, we'll just have to convince them it's not true."

"How do you plan on doing that?"

She leaned up and kissed him then. A real kiss, not the brush of lips they'd done a time or two before. Both had been careful not to cross that line. There had been a couple of times she thought he'd wanted to, but held back. She did, too, because she wasn't sure if she wasn't reading him wrong. Could a man like him really be interested in her?

She wanted to tonight, though. Evidently, she'd misread his intentions and he didn't as he wasn't kissing her back.

How embarrassing!

She started to pull back when he didn't respond right away. He stopped her, though, sliding his arms around her waist and drawing her even closer against him. She went willingly.

Her lips parted and she groaned softly as she felt his tongue glide along her lower lip before sliding into her mouth slightly as if asking permission. She darted her tongue along his, a wordless invitation to continue and he did.

Wordlessly, he lifted her and she broke the kiss only long enough to let out a startled squeak. One that didn't sound very seductive in the least. He chuckled and she couldn't blame him. That squeak had not sounded very brave or strong at all. He carried her to the couch, breaking the kiss to sit and draw her onto his lap. His hands rested over her arse but he made no move to touch or caress her more than that.

She reached behind her, grabbing one of his hands and slid it up along her back on the skin that was in between her top and pants. He took the prompt, stroking her skin there with his thumb and she groaned, envisioning that thumb and those fingers touching her. She wondered if he had any idea how fascinating they were to her. How much she admired them. They were warm against her skin.

She slid her fingertips along the scars on his neck and he hissed softly at the contact. She drew away, both from his mouth and his neck.

"Did I hurt you?" she asked.

"Not at all. I feel essentially nothing, but the fact you would willingly…"

She leaned in then, kissing the spot on his neck she just touched.

"Why would I not want to touch the very thing that is proof that you survived? That you are a hero?"

She grazed the scar with her tongue, shifting a bit on his lap.

"I guess when put like that," he murmured.

"Are you going to avoid touching mine?"

"Is this a trick question, Hermione?"

She giggled softly, kissing his neck. "What makes you think that? You do plan on touching me I hope."

"Merlin, Hermione," he murmured. "You want…"

"I want to be your wife, Severus."

"You are," he said. "That ring and the piece of paper say so."

"Don't be obtuse. You know what I mean," she said, resting her head against his shoulder.

"Do you know what you mean?"

"I do." She slid off his lap then and offered him her hand. "I make no promises for tonight, Severus. I may freeze up," she shrugged.

Even though nothing had happened to her in that way at Malfoy Manor, she knew how close she'd come to that not being true. So while the desire was there she wasn't entirely confident her mind would cooperate.

She still had nightmares about Greyback. Bellatrix, too, of course, but she was dead. As far as Hermione knew, Greyback's presence was unknown. He wasn't in Azkaban and he hadn't been among the dead at Hogwarts after the final battle. So, to her mind evidently, he could come after her to do what he'd intended to do that night. It was part of the reason she chose to leave and live here.

She knew Severus was aware her sleep wasn't always peaceful. His wasn't either for that matter. He had many more years' worth of things to dream about than she did. Silencing charms only went so far, especially hours into the night.

"I want to be with you in every sense of the word before I graduate, before we decide to try for a child. So if you're okay with the possibility that I may just want to sleep beside you tonight after a bit of snogging…"

"Yes," he said and she smiled that he wouldn't even let her finish. Even just snogging him after two months sounded rather divine.

He stood then and led her to her room. He'd done the courteous thing and given her the largest of the three bedrooms. She'd balked at him doing so. That wasn't right, this was his flat. He'd insisted. Ultimately she'd accepted, hoping in the back of her mind exactly what seemed to be happening would occur. This was a little sooner than she'd expected. She wasn't sure when or how she'd expected it to come about, but she'd been in a mood the past few days.

Never having experienced such a thing before now she wasn't entirely sure what it meant. Obviously she did, she understood how hormones and arousal worked. She just had never truly experienced them to realize that they could happen with little stimulation. She assumed there would need to be something external to stimulate her.

Evidently not.

Regardless, she knew that she wanted to try tonight. With him.

"There is one rather interesting side effect about eating regularly to where my cycle is back to normal again."

"Oh?" he asked, releasing her hand.

That eating regularly thing was in part due to this man. He practically fawned over her to ensure she was eating or had food for the school day and so forth. Well-balanced dinners were a regular part of their week. Sometimes they heated up a pizza, but he really did try to go out of his way to ensure she ate well. And with the pizza he tried to include a small side salad with it.

"Mm, I've found myself incredibly in a mood," she said with a slight blush.

As if it wasn't bad enough she was talking to him about her menstrual cycle now she was confessing to him that she was horny. Sure, as head of Slytherin he probably had to talk about these things with witches or Poppy or whoever, but this was different somehow.

Intimate.

"Hermione," he said, sounding cautious.

"That's not why! And we are married. I mean, I hope I get lots of these moods over the next couple hundred years or so. I assume you don't want to sleep separately for the rest of our lives."

"Of course not, but I also know that you just turned twenty and weren't planning on being married this soon in life, let alone to me."

"I make no promises tonight and I'm not trying to be a tease. As long as you don't think that I'm trying to lead you on if I can't I want to try," she stood by the bed, realizing that neither of them were really dressed for bed.

"I should change into something more suitable for sleeping," he said.

Again, it was as if he knew what she was thinking. She'd never had that!

She took that as agreement and understanding that she may not be able to do more than kiss him. She felt bad, but she just wasn't sure she could. She loved when they were on the same page like this, though.

"Meet you back here in five minutes?"

"As you wish."

She changed into something acceptable for sleeping with someone else, something she'd never done in her life truthfully. Her parents she supposed. She stopped in the bathroom to brush her teeth before returning to her room and turning back the covers. She was wearing a nightshirt and shorts. One thing about living in the muggle world again, they had heat and were not reliant on fireplaces. She sat on the edge of the bed, wondering if he'd change his mind. Should she not wear the shorts?

He came back a minute or so after she'd finished getting ready for bed and she sighed in relief. He must have heard it because he arched a brow at her.

"Thought I'd run away?"

"I wouldn't blame you."

He snorted at that but said nothing else.

"Do you have a preferred side?" she asked, gesturing to the bed.

"Well, the protector and gentleman in me would tell me to sleep closest to the door, but I have no true preference and have never had to choose a side until now."

"Worried we're going to be attacked in our sleep?"

"You can't take fighting in two wars and twenty years of spying out of a man."

"I suppose not."

She slid into bed, biting her lower lip as she scooted over to the side furthest from the door. They were really doing this. She had initiated it, she realized but he was here. To sleep with her. To snog her. Maybe to have sex with her? She was both incredibly excited and nervous.

"You are certain?"

"Severus," she said.

He sighed, but joined her and she snuggled closer to him, resting a hand on his chest. She could feel his heartbeat and wondered if hers was going as fast as his was. Probably. She slid her hand lower, finding his hand and lacing her fingers through his. He gave a soft, almost content sounding sigh at the gesture, tightening his grip on her hand and she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Can we start with this?" she asked softly. Feeling a bit like a tease, but this was… Nice.

"Of course."

"I've never even done this much."

He scoffed softly.

"What? I'm not lying."

"That's not what I meant. You think I have?"

"You haven't?"

"Slept with a witch? No. My few and far between experiences did not include sleeping as part of the act. They were presumably more than happy to be rid of me once finished."

"Few experiences?"

That surprised her for some reason. He was a powerful, intelligent wizard. Hell, with Dumbledore and Riddle gone, was there any more powerful than him? She just assumed other witches saw that and would … want it.

"I was not a wizard driven by such things. I couldn't risk the distraction for one. I also did not trust the witches who were part of the Death Eaters. I am aware of what I am, Hermione. A good looking wizard that women want to spend the night with is not it. It's okay. I've long ago accepted that."

"I suppose," she said, grazing his hand with her thumb. "I don't want to be rid of you and I do want to spend the night with you. Nor do I find you unattractive."

"You are delusional. I do not want to be rid of you either, Witch, so we are on the same page."

She turned onto her other side, facing away from him. She reached behind her for his hand, drawing him to her. He took the hint and moved onto his side behind her.

"Do you think Susan and Justin will really keep our location to themselves?" Hermione asked once Severus had extinguished the lights in the room wandlessly as well as wordlessly.

Show off. She could do it, too, but not as effortlessly as he could.

Yet. She was determined to be able to give him a run for his money when it came to things like that. She did not want people to look at them and wonder how someone as powerful as him had ended up with her. She would learn and she suspected that he would help her do so.

"I don't know. I don't know that I really care at this point, other than the rumours about an untoward relationship occurring between us while you were my student."

"I truly wouldn't let anyone think that, Severus."

"I'm aware you wouldn't, but they may think it without saying so."

"I suppose."

He kissed the top of her head, bringing her closer against him and she sighed happily. This was nice. She never imagined this, not really. It was strange, certainly closer than she'd ever imagined being with anyone, but nice nonetheless. Definitely something she could get used to.

And safe.

Whichever side of the bed he'd chosen she knew that he would keep her safe at all costs. Just as she would for him.

"We'll weather it whatever happens."

"I like the sound of that."

"What?"

"We."

"That is what we are now, Hermione." He slid his hand to her abdomen, settling it there. He was quiet for a moment, as if waiting for her to scold him or remove his hand from where it was. "We. I've never had it either."

"I'm glad it's you," she said sincerely.

She really was.

One day maybe he'd tell her why he came up with this idea of his, but for now she just knew that she was glad it was him who'd made it. She didn't think she would have taken the offer from just anyone. That wasn't it.

She had thought about it for a few days before accepting.

Why was he making the offer?

Was there some downside that she was missing?

The heir part.

Well, while not offensive to think about she hadn't understood why he'd make that a requirement. The more she'd watched him: in the store, in his lab, and in their flat. Well, she'd realized that having a child with him wouldn't be abhorrent. He evidently thought she would think so. She was pretty sure of that. Had he expected that thrown in there would lead to her declining his offer when she might otherwise agree to it?

She really wasn't sure. She just knew that away from Hogwarts and the magical world he was … kind. She wouldn't say nice, though that had come. She was very aware the first time she'd run into him here she'd driven him bonkers talking so much. She was so nervous, though, that she couldn't shut up!

And now? Well, she still wasn't sure why he'd made the offer, but she'd accepted and they were about to spend the night together. In the same bed. They'd snogged!

"You are a curious witch, Hermione."

"No, I mean it. You're smart and, well, I know you won't be a pushover. I need that just as much as you do I think."

He snorted softly, but she heard a low chuckle afterward so knew he was amused not insulted.

"You may be correct in that."

She laced her fingers through his resting against her abdomen. He gave a squeeze and relaxed his arm over her a bit. "You don't think I'm a tease?"

"No," he replied. His mouth was near her ear so she felt his breath against her hair and the skin there. It was warm and rather … comforting. And arousing. It was a new sensation. She wondered if he felt it, too.

She turned her head then enough to kiss him. "Good night, and thank you for your patience."

"Unexpectedly, I have nothing but time, Hermione."

Return to Top


***Chapter Three***
December 1999

Severus looked up from the potion he was bottling up for Huginn to take to his customer when Hermione entered the lab. It was the last potion of a rather large order destined for Hogwarts. Poppy was aware, of course, he was the potion master supplying Hogwarts. He wasn't so sure about anyone else, not even St. Mungo's. He imagined they had to, though, as boastful sounding as it was. His quality was second to none. They would have to recognize that. Unless they were staffed with nothing but dunderheads, of course. He had no idea who was in charge these days.

His potions side business was quickly becoming profitable to the point that if he hadn't hired Hermione to work for him he would have been hard-pressed to keep up. Yes, he had to work weekdays due to her being in class, but he kept to a pretty strict schedule that worked for them. Her being a studious type who enjoyed spending her time at the university's library played in his favour. He could brew before and after the store's hours of operation and didn't feel as if he was being neglectful or ignoring his young bride. On weekends she actually enjoyed helping him so while he was technically working he was still spending time with her and she liked the brewing work as much as he did.

"You look nervous," he said.

"I am," she admitted, buttoning her coat. Her missing a button on a coat he'd seen her button probably a hundred times already clued him into her nervousness. That and the nibble at her lower lip.

"You don't have to go."

They'd discussed and agreed after their run-in and impromptu double date with Justin and Susan that it was time that she physically assure Harry Potter that she was truly all right. Today she was going to see him. Thus the nervousness.

"I do, though! It's time," she said. "He deserves more than just notes."

"No one else does?"

"No," she said simply.

She knew full-well what he was asking her and she gave the appropriate wifely answer. She also knew full-well that he was aware that she knew. Her former paramour did not even deserve notes. As far as Severus knew she had not corresponded with anyone but Potter. He wasn't jealous. He certainly couldn't rail at her for being in contact with Ronald Weasley considering the rumours abounding about him with regard to Lily.

There was one difference, though.

Lily Evans was dead. Ronald Weasley was not dead.

Okay, possibly two differences.

Severus never spent months alone with Lily. She didn't talk about their time on the run much and he knew nothing physically happened between his wife and Weasley. That didn't mean that … interest wasn't there. He'd had years to figure out Lily really wasn't ever interested in him. He knew they'd kissed after the final battle. He also knew that Weasley's unsupportiveness with regard to Hermione's goals was what led to her leaving.

If he changed his mind, his opinion, would she change hers? If he saw her succeeding would he try groveling? Severus certainly would for someone like this witch. Weasley wasn't a complete imbecile.

He liked to think that she would not do that especially now that their relationship had moved from being platonic toward being a real marriage.

He eyed her over the cauldron. She looked nice but not as if she'd gone to any huge effort to look that way trying to impress her friend. She was fiddling with the cuff of her coat and he sighed softly.

More evidence of nerves.

Man up, Severus. Act like a husband should. Help your witch.

"Would you like me to accompany you?"

He saw relief in her eyes. Fleeting. He'd seen it there. He sighed, realizing he'd asked the right question. He was not good at this, didn't pretend to think he was even to himself.

"I'd love for you to come with me, but it's not necessary. Thank you for offering."

She was understandably nervous about seeing her best friend for the first time in a year and a half. He was pleased that she would want him to accompany her in this errand, but equally so that she did not find it necessary. He was in no hurry to see Harry Potter again any time soon.

"If you are sure, Hermione. You know that I will."

"I think I'm uncomfortable enough telling him I'm married."

A few weeks ago he would have taken that statement personally, as a slight aimed at and meant to be about him. Being married to him. He knew now, though, after weeks of getting to know her in ways no other wizard would if he had anything to say about it that she wasn't ashamed. If she had been, she wouldn't have agreed to dinner and a movie with her former classmates last month. He knew it was fear that Harry Potter would overreact. That others would cut her off. That bad things would be said about her because of her aligning herself with him. She obviously wasn't going to tell anyone that they'd married because he made the offer he had.

"You don't have to tell him."

"You want me to take my ring off?" she asked, gesturing to her wedding ring.

"No," he said quickly and she gave a soft laugh.

It bothered him a little that she knew that he liked that token of their relationship being visible to all. He could admit to being a possessive person when it came to others knowing about her. He wasn't sure exactly what that said about him, but it was what it was. The idea of a wife had never occurred to him as the remotest of possibilities prior to eighteen months ago. So these feelings, attitudes, were very foreign to him.

Even post-war if this witch had not come into his bookstore he likely still wouldn't consider it a possibility to this day. So, yes, he could admit that he liked that she wore that symbol.

His symbol.

She was his witch.

He had a witch.

He was still wrapping his mind around that fact.

Maybe that made him a possessive arse, he didn't know nor did he care. He truly loathed the idea of her meeting Potter, but at least it was just Potter and not Potter and Weasley. Weasley in the mix would have made him nervous.

A part of him, a part he hadn't realized he'd had until now. A part that he realized made him just like every male in the world who had an attractive, intelligent wife. He wished they had actually consummated their marriage and that that fact would be obvious. He suspected the former would come quite soon judging by their current nocturnal activities the past couple of nights stopping just short. The latter obviously was just wishful, prideful desires on his part. A part of him he never knew existed until now. He could admit that yes he, Severus Snape, wanted others to know he could bed and please a witch.

And she'd certainly seemed quite pleased with their activities, both his and hers, to this point.

"I'd like him to be godfather when we get to that point," she said. "I'm not just going to throw it at him that we have a baby. So, he needs to know that we're married and get used to that first."

"I suspected as much. Obviously we have time. Unless you have immediate plans of conceiving that I am unaware of, but I have no argument against that choice."

"Really?"

"Really," he drawled. He admittedly was pleased to surprise her. He liked surprising this witch. "He's not his father anymore than I am mine," he said.

It had taken him a while to draw the parallels. He'd presented Hermione with his idea to marry as a way to help her. He didn't want to be a cuckold or made a fool of in any other way so he'd thrown in the promise of him begetting an heir with her as part of the deal.

He truly had not believed she'd agree. The longer she took to decide the more certain he was that she would tell him to take his offer and shove it up his arse. How anyone knowing of his childhood would want him potentially raising a child was beyond him. If she could accept that he was not Tobias Snape why did he have such a hard time accepting Harry Potter was not James? Why did he assume that James' bad traits would override Lily's good ones? (Not that she was perfect either he'd come to realize over the years.)

"And Ginny?"

"Ginevra is an acceptable choice as well," he said. "I assume they're marrying eventually so it makes sense. Again, we have time. You don't need to rush out to see him for something that's years from happening, Hermione."

"I would assume so, but I guess I don't know anymore. Their marrying I mean."

"That is the trouble with one-way correspondence. You may give him our address here if you'd like."

She brightened at that, and he wondered if she'd thought until now that she needed his … permission to tell her friend how to reach her. She hadn't mentioned wanting him to correspond back so he'd never brought it up. She knew Ronald Weasley's reaction to her life goals had left her hurt.

That was very understated.

"Thank you," she said.

"You don't have to thank me, Hermione. If I have given you the impression that you need to ask permission or that you are akin to a prisoner here."

"You haven't. I just know that you value your privacy so I'm not going to give out our address."

"If you were handing it out to everyone I'd probably wager a complaint or request you to cease such activity. I trust you."

"That is good to know. As far as the years from happening. There is always a chance and while I realize we have not done anything yet to create that chance I presume we will."

He nodded then, realizing those simple words rather … excited him. That meant she was truly thinking about it.

Consummating their marriage.

Becoming his wife in every way.

Making love with him.

She walked to him and hugged him, drawing away enough to kiss him. It was short, not dismissive but there was definitely no attempt at prolonging it. While they were both rather amorous during their nightly activities neither seemed particularly comfortable displaying much affection during the day. He hoped one day that would change, too. He truly did want to be affectionate with her regardless of where and when they were. It was new and slightly uncomfortable to this point.

"You have money and the gifts that you have purchased for him?" he asked.

"Yes. You think I look okay seeing him for the first time in a while?" she asked.

She meant more than the gifts. She'd obviously gone through some effort to dress for the outing. Not to the extent she had for their night out with Susan and Justin, but an effort nonetheless. He'd made an effort to take her to dinner, or even just on a walk on evenings she was tired or had a heavy schoolwork load, since that first date they'd had. Once or twice a week. It was good for both of them to do something not work or school related.

It let her know, he hoped at any rate, that he did want a wife in every sense of the word. Not just in bed.

"For meeting your best friend? Yes. For meeting the queen? Probably not."

"Well, it's a good thing I was already booked when the queen asked then."

"Indeed," he said. "Run along now, Wife. The sooner you leave, the sooner you'll be back and I'll no longer have to man the store."

"Hmm, that almost sounds like you'll miss me."

"I'll miss your customer service skills for certain."

"Bastard," she said, smiling though so he knew she was being as cheeky as he was being sarcastic. "Glamour?" she asked.

He cast the glamour that would disguise her in the event Harry did not show up alone as she asked him to. Subtle differences that he'd see through once she approached him or she removed it. Until she did either of those things she would blend in and look like anyone else around her. More subtle than Notice-Me-Not, it was a spell that just made one blend in and seem average.

It was clever and he was aware that Hermione could not wait to cast it herself, but today she wanted the strength of Severus' magic (and his confidence in casting it) behind it. She did not want to see Ronald or Ginny yet. Petty perhaps but he took a bit of pleasure in that fact. He knew that she trusted Harry, but wasn't entirely sure that she believed he'd keep their meeting secret from Ginny who would of course tell her mother who would tell Ronald.

In all honesty, Severus believed it was a legitimate fear. Harry Potter didn't always think before acting.

Severus finished portioning out the potion into the vials, leaving the rest for after Hermione returned. He had a store to man after all.



Hermione apparated from the section in the storeroom upstairs from the lab that allowed it after checking to be sure she did indeed have the gifts for Harry and Ginny. She'd sent him a note ten days ago, asking Huginn to wait for a response this time. If Harry had recognized the raven he hadn't said so in his reply agreeing to meet her.

She arrived in the alleyway near the muggle mall where they were meeting. She took a couple of reassuring breaths and then walked in the direction that she hoped would lead to a good meeting with her best friend.

She missed him.

She hadn't realized how much until Susan and Justin had walked into the store. She did not miss the wizarding world to the point of wanting to return yet, but she missed her friend. Her brother.

It probably would sound terrible to an outsider, someone who didn't understand her, that it took her this long to realize it. She wasn't a social person by nature and she had truly been focused on school and trying to get everything with her parents sorted out. So she just hadn't taken the time to miss him. She was glad Severus understood that because many wouldn't.

He was hard to miss with his unkempt, unruly hair. He hadn't changed his glasses either. She smiled, a skip in her heartbeat at the sight of him. She felt tears in her eyes as she took him in. He was really all right. He was alive. He was here. He looked a little nervous, but he looked fine. Healthy. Whole.

She took a moment to take that in.

She was so relieved. A part of her was sure he wasn't. She waited for a few minutes, observing to be sure he was alone. She gave a slight push to detect other magic in the vicinity and only found Harry's familiar signature. Eighteen months apart or not she'd recognize it anywhere. It was that familiar to her. Severus' was getting to be that, too.

Wandlessly, she removed Severus' glamour and walked toward Harry.

"Hermione!" He stood from the bench he'd been sitting on when he saw her.

"Hello, Harry," she said, walking straight into his offered hug without hesitation.

"I've missed you! I know you've sent letters, but I'm glad to see you're really all right."

"Same. I'm sorry for what probably seems like a secretive meeting, but I'm just not ready yet for everyone else."

"It's okay. You are missed by everyone else. I understand, I do and I'm not mad. Hurt maybe, but the letters you've sent helped me know at least you were all right. I'd get yelled at by Ginny if I didn't tell you that part. Well, about being missed."

"We ran into Susan Bones and Justin Finch-Fletchley a few weeks ago. It made me realize I was overdue."

"Susan and Justin? Really? Together? Where did you see them?"

"Liverpool," she said. "That's where I'm living currently."

"They were together?"

"Yes! Engaged. They evidently connected at one of the memorials or something."

"There've been tons of those," he said sourly. The roll of his eyes told her that he wasn't exaggerating either. No doubt he'd be expected to at least make an appearance at all of them, too. That was one of the reasons she and Severus had no desire to go back. They really didn't want to be a part of the Ministry's efforts to improve their image at their expense. "Well, I'm glad to see something good came out of the war."

"Yes, they seem very happy."

"Well, good. It's good to know something good came out of all of that. And who's this we?"

"What?"

"You said we, Hermione." He took her hand, raising it. "I know I'm a little thick at times and you had to force me to study, but I noticed your ring as soon as you approached."

"Oh, yes," she said with a sigh. "Well," she said, lowering their joined hands and gestured for him to start walking. He fell into place beside her without her having to say anything. She just didn't want to sit still yet. He seemed legitimately fine, happy to see her as she was him so it wasn't real awkward or anything. A little, but not what she feared when sending the letter to suggest this meeting. She wasn't ready for the contact to end yet.

"I've been married for three months."

"Married? Hermione! How did you have time to meet anyone to get to know them well enough to marry them?"

"Mm, yeah, that. That wasn't really a problem. It's someone I already knew. We already knew actually," she said, nibbling on her lower lip. This was the sticky part. She really wasn't certain how he would react.

Was Severus still the git potions instructor? Or had he had time to realize the man had done what he'd had to do as a spy? Had he gone overboard a time or two? Probably so. It was one of the things she'd thought pretty hard about when deciding on whether to marry him. He could be very cruel. She knew most of it was an act, but probably some of it wasn't. If any of it had been true, no matter how much, that could make for a very miserable life with him.

It boiled down, for her, to the fact that by the time Tom Riddle came back he was probably incredibly stressed. (Understatement of the decade, for certain.) It probably got to a point, too, where he was just constantly in that role of evil git.

Her teeth? Yeah, it had hurt, but the incident had allowed her to get her teeth fixed without the lengthy orthodontic treatment process her parents wanted her to go through. And it wasn't as if Neville's bogart incident wasn't cruel toward him.

"Okay," he said, clearly trying to figure out who they'd both know that she'd be able to live with in the muggle world. She'd say hide, but they weren't really hiding. They were using their names and weren't going out of their way to avoid anyone. Severus was supplying potions to the wizarding world and he mentioned Madam Pomfrey was aware he was Hogwarts' supplier.

She took a deep breath. "I'm Hermione Snape now, Harry," she said.

He stopped walking and dropped her hand. He turned then, staring at her. He looked as if he was sussing it out, deciding if she was pulling his leg.

"You're married to Severus Snape?"

"Yes," she said.

"How?"

"Quite the usual way, Harry." She knew it wasn't the answer he was looking for. Truthfully, she was still wondering how herself some days. There had to be something more to it than him just wanting an heir.

"That's not what I meant. How did you two even get close enough to get married?"

"It just happened," she shrugged. "I stumbled across him actually and helped him heal. The rest is history, I guess."

"You're married to Snape?"

"Professor or Master Snape. Or Mister Snape, I suppose if you want, but yes."

"Are you even happy?"

"What kind of question is that? Of course, I am! Do you think I'd marry someone I wouldn't be happy with?"

"What about Ron?"

"What about him? Harry, you know we would never have been happy. Not truly. I'm not sure I was ever going to completely get over him leaving us as he did. And well, there's more, Harry," she said. And here she got excited and knew he could tell.

"More than you being married to Snape?"

"I'm going to school. I'm really doing it," she said. "It wasn't easy with Mum and Dad and everything, but I'm making it work."

His eyes widened. He'd been the one to totally be in her corner when she'd talked about wanting to go into psychology and bring that branch of medicine to the wizarding world. He had totally understood. Hermione realized he'd understand because after his childhood and then going to Hogwarts and everything that happened, he likely could use the services himself. He'd be familiar with the idea being raised muggle

"Is that why you got married?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Harry, do you really think Severus Snape was going to ride to my rescue like a knight in shining armour?"

Of course he had, but she'd never tell anyone that. She doubted Severus would either. She knew he'd been surprised she agreed. If it had just been marriage he probably wouldn't have been as surprised. He'd thrown the heir into the offer as an expectation. She still thought he had done it to frighten her off. In truth, she was curious enough about the man once she got over the fact that he had been cruel at times at Hogwarts but he had not been in Liverpool to say yes. He'd listened to her babble about her school and parent problems for well over an hour. She knew he'd been hoping for someone else to come through his doors, but he'd stayed and listened. And hadn't said one negative thing.

"Well, no, I suppose." He took her hand and squeezed. "I'm happy for you. I mean, if anyone can do what you talked about doing, it's you. I know Ron and I had our doubts. My doubts weren't about you or your abilities, but about the wizarding world's chance of accepting what you want to do. They are not prone to accepting or enacting change very fast. I'm still not sure I see it happening, but if anyone can convince them it is something beneficial. Well, that's you, Hermione. I'd never doubt you. Well, not anymore. I know I did a time or two, but I more than learned my lesson."

He nodded then, taking his hand away. She missed the contact but he more than made up for it by hugging her again.

"I'm so proud of you, though, for continuing your dream. Really, I am. If I did anything to make you think I didn't think you could do it. Well, I'm sorry."

"I know. You didn't. Not really. We were all in shock I think. I have time yet, as far as getting them interested in even accepting the concept. I'm sure he'll help me ensure any presentations I do come up with are flawless."

"And I can't tell anyone?"

She sighed. "I'd rather you not yet, Harry. About being married. I'm not ashamed, but he really wants his privacy right now. He doesn't want people showing up. I realized running into Susan and Justin I missed you. I don't miss the wizarding world enough to jump back in today. I want to get my schooling done without distractions. You know as well as I do that Rita Skeeter would have a field day, and I don't want her showing up on campus or something crazy. I don't want that for Severus either. He's happy. Content even. Really, if you could see him you'd know what I mean."

"What's he doing?"

"He owns a bookstore and brews potions out of a lab in the basement. I work there on weekends and some evenings as studying allows. I help him brew sometimes, too. He provides potions to Hogwarts and to St. Mungo's I know. It seems like his business has been picking up the past couple of months. I don't know if he's taking on more because I'm there full-time now that we're married. So he knows I can man the store more."

"Sounds like something Snape would do," he said with a shake of his head. "What about my mother?"

She shrugged. "What about her, Harry? It was a long time ago. He's almost forty years old, I don't presume to think he had no life before me."

"Yeah, all right," he said. "It's just, it seemed like he was still in love with her two years ago."

Truthfully, Harry had voiced the question that was probably the reason she held off actually having sex with Severus.

Lily Potter nee Evans.

How could she compete with a ghost? A gorgeous ghost who the man had loved for over twenty-five years?

Oh, she'd thoroughly been enjoying the foreplay they'd been engaging in the past few weeks. She was quite certain she'd thoroughly enjoy sex with him, too. She didn't want to come up lacking, though. Not being someone or something he was wanting. She also didn't want to be his consolation prize. Someone he was settling for or with.

She had discovered, though, even without actual penetration she definitely did not have an off switch. He was lucky she had classes during the day or she'd never let him out of bed. Whether that was her hormones regulating themselves after a more than sketchy time of things for a while or just how she was normally she didn't know yet.

It was a scary idea, though, losing her virginity to someone only to find out later she was insufficient. Or that she wasn't good. Or that he would prefer being with someone else during the act.

"I don't know where you just went, but come back, Hermione."

"I'm fine, Harry. Right here."

"I recognize that look. Don't start thinking about something you need to solve, please. I haven't seen you in over a year!"

"You're right, of course," she said, smiling. "So, tell me about yourself, Ron, Ginny, and everything else you can think of."

"Yeah, well, training has been tough. I had to prove I was there because I deserved to be, not just because I'm Harry Potter." He shrugged.

He understood what having a famous name meant more than any of them, but Harry wasn't one to snub his nose at doing work. Yes, she'd had to get after him a lot, but what teenaged boy wanted to do homework?

"I understand," she said. She did, and she knew if there was anyone who could prove themselves it was Harry Potter. When he put his mind to it anyway.

"Lots of travel, finding former Death Eaters. It's starting to calm down some in that regard, but there are still a number of minor followers who never took the Mark we're looking for. And Ron," he shrugged. "He didn't quite want to deserve to be an auror. He wanted to be one because he was Ron Weasley and I think he wanted to work with me. That didn't last long. He's helping George at the joke shop for now. He's on girlfriend number seven or eight, I think. He hasn't been real serious with any of them. He dates them for a week or two and then gets bored or something. He's not sleeping with them or anything. I think he's just restless. I'm not sure working for George is going to help that." He shrugged, scowling. He looked at her then, tilting his head. She knew that look in his eyes. He was going to say something he thought would get him in trouble. "I hate that you're the one who left, Hermione," he whispered, sounding so sad.

"I know, Harry, and it was nothing personal."

"I know, I just, it hurts. You are the sister I never had. Those weeks Ron was gone and it was just us we got close, which I know still drives Ron insane. Well, and plus, I don't want to be famous and I know you don't want to either. Sometimes I hate being around him because he craves it."

"I feel the same way. And Ginny?"

"Chaser for the Holyhead Harpies. Lots of traveling for both of us. We see each other when we can. We try to surprise each other when we can."

"You're okay though?"

"Yeah, I'm planning on asking her to marry me over Christmas actually."

"Oh? Exciting. Have you asked Arthur?"

"I have," he said, nodding his head in acknowledgement.

"I wish I could be there."

"You can, you know. You'd be welcome."

"I know I would and I know Severus would be individually. I'm just not sure we would be together, and frankly, I'm not sure either of us wants to find out yet."

"The offer stands. I'm hosting Christmas Day so you know where we'll be. I'm sure Molly will still do most of the work even though the idea is to give her a break."

She chuckled. He was right. Molly wouldn't know the meaning of the word break when it came to a holiday meal. "Thanks, Harry. I'll mention it to him."

"Are you hungry? Or can we get tea or something?"

"Yes, let's," she said, sliding her hand through the crook of his offered arm. He wanted to keep talking to her! She took that as a great sign.



It was late when she got back to the storeroom. She'd enjoyed her time with Harry more than she thought she would. Not that she thought she'd have a bad time, she was just scared it wouldn't go well. He promised he wouldn't tell anyone anything beyond that he'd seen her, she was attending university, and seemed fine. She'd given him their address so he could send mail to her. He was going to visit her on campus after Christmas break, which excited her more than it probably should. She loved learning and that he said he wanted her to show him around made her day.

"I was beginning to think I was going to have to call the authorities on you, Madam Snape," Severus said.

"I'm sorry, it did get much later than I figured we'd be out."

"Was it a good visit then?"

"It was."

"And you're alone so he's not here with a pitchfork or an unforgivable to take me down for sullying you."

"No," she said with a laugh, sliding out of her coat. They both knew Harry wouldn't be able to take him down even if he wanted to. "No, not at all."

"That pleases me to no end."

"I'm sure you were worried."

He probably wasn't really, but she did wonder if a part of him was just a little bit. She'd come to find the past few months that he was really quite human under that stoic exterior he presented to everyone. So it was very possible he did experience some … concern that she was going off to meet Harry. His former friend's son. And what the result of that meeting could be.

"Horribly."

She hung her coat up and made her way to the couch and sat next to him. She was quiet for a few minutes unsure how to approach what had been on her mind since Harry mentioned Lily. Was asking about her going to be a mistake? Would it set them back from the progress and closeness they'd established over the past few months? And especially the past few weeks they'd been sleeping together?

"May I ask you a question, Severus?"

"You may ask me anything you wish, Hermione," he said.

"Is it because of Lily that you did this," she said, gesturing to herself and her ring.

"I'm sorry?"

"Is it because you feel you're incapable of …" she sighed. "Loving anyone else so you settled for me?"

"Is that what Harry said?"

"No, of course not. She did come up, of course, and it made me wonder. I guess a part of me has been wondering even before today."

He sighed. "I don't know why I made the offer, Hermione. I really don't. Please don't take offense to my saying that today about an offer I made months ago. It's not a reflection on you in the least. I have no idea what made me do it. I will admit that unlike other rather important decisions made in my life it is the least … upsetting thus far. I never envisioned myself surviving the war let alone getting married. Yet here I am. And I don't consider marrying you settling. You shouldn't think of it that way either."

"Yes, but, twenty years…"

"I had time to think about things before you stumbled into my shoppe and discovered you'd found me, you know."

"Yes," she said cautiously.

He shifted on the couch so that she could lean against him, resting her head on his chest. They both liked this position, the closeness. Neither had said so, but it was a position they ended up in a lot recently so she could only assume that he liked it as well as she did.

"I'm not going to lie to you and say I didn't love her. I will never lie to you, Hermione. I did, but she never loved me back. Not in the way I wanted. Eventually, had events not unfolded as they did, I like to believe that I would have come to terms with that fact on my own. I think it was the fact that it was James Potter more than anything that I refused to believe she could truly love him. He was such a prat."

"I've heard. I'm sorry."

"So, I loved her. I don't think I was in love with her. There is a difference I believe. She was my only true friend. As pathetic as it may sound to anyone else, I had never had one before her. No one. The people after her, they only liked me because I could do things for them. You actually made me realize that she was perhaps not as nice to me as she should have been."

"Me?" What did she have to do with Lily Potter?

"Yes. I knew Mr. Weasley had left you two. Phineas' portrait reported such to me."

"Oh, of course, I should have realized he would have."

"Yet, you forgave him. You were in a life and death situation, carrying around an item cursed and by leaving instead of splitting time with that item into thirds you and Harry had to divy it up between the two of you. Yet, you forgave him."

"Well, of course," she said with a slight frown, running her fingers over the ribbed collar of his faded Rolling Stones T-shirt. She blushed a bit looking at the tongue logo on the shirt. She very much enjoyed the things Severus did with his tongue. Everywhere. Probably not the time to think about it, but the shirt reminded her of it.

"And yet my friend when we were not in a life and death situation, when I had been humiliated and defended by the last person I wanted to even see me in such a vulnerable position…"

"Chose not to forgive you for saying something bad?"

"Yes."

"Severus," she whispered. She could hear the pain in his voice over twenty years later and felt bad she'd caused him to feel that, no matter how inadvertently.

He kissed the top of her head. "I said a horrible thing. It was in the heat of the moment. I was hurt and humiliated so I lashed out. I begged her forgiveness and she refused." He sighed and she fiddled with the ends of his hair. "Then I realized the prophecy was about her. You know the rest," he said.

"I do," she said

"I spent the years in between her dying and Tom's return dreading having to teach James Potter's son so much that I really didn't think about the rest of it. My feelings. Our friendship. What I thought friendship should be. My version of what a friend should be. Albus didn't help much in that, didn't let me think about anything except the debt I owed."

"Understandable. You were still hurt and you thought you were responsible, which you weren't."

"I know that. Now. I mean, I was, but he had contacts inside the Ministry and everywhere who's to say he wouldn't have heard it elsewhere. The Potters trusted Pettigrew, I still don't understand why to this day. Albus could have done more to ensure they were protected. The Longbottoms could be dead, I realize their state isn't a thing to celebrate but if we find a cure for the effects of exposure to the cruciatus curse they could recover. We all could have done better and the ‘what if' game will drive you nuts. Believe me, I know. I was on that path."

"Right."

She leaned up a bit to look at him. It sort of broke her heart how literally alone he'd been his entire life.

"If it means anything, I would have forgiven you."

"I know that you would have, and that's why I say marrying you is not settling. Lily was overall a good person, but I've come to realize that she was not without her faults and it took me a very long time to acknowledge that. Albus may have had something to do with that delay."

"The headmaster?"

"He needed me on his side, his spy, under his thumb. He drove home the ‘you promised Lily' rhetoric."

"What a conniving…"

"Yes, well. I made my bed, Hermione, I had to lie in it. I've come to realize, too, that instead of spending ten years dreading teaching James' son I could have looked forward to teaching Lily's. I'm not sure until recently I saw him as anything but James Potter's boy," he shrugged. "So, to answer your question, no Lily has nothing to do with us. And she never will. If anyone says otherwise I will apologize in advance for their inconsideration and lack of knowledge."

She closed the very slight distance between their mouths, kissing him.

"Want to come lie in the bed you've currently made and are occupying?"

"You know I do."

"One of these days you're going to say no because you're tired of it going no further."

"Hardly. It's been enjoyable actually. I've never experienced foreplay for foreplay's sake. Merlin, I never truly experienced foreplay. I like getting to know you. It's rather intoxicating discovering all the various ways I can make you squirm and yell my name."

"Do you think Hogwarts will survive our children?"

"Children? Is there something you're not telling me?"

"Hypothetically, I presume we'll have two. A boy first and then a girl, of course."

She smiled wickedly at the blush those words brought out of him. Oh ho, so he hadn't really thought too hard on them having children. Kind of as she expected. The heir was an attempt at making an offer but scaring her away from accepting it. From accepting him.

"You do?"

"I do. Naturally. Now, let's see who makes who squirm tonight."

"Saucy witch," he said.

"You seem to like that about me."

"Indeed, Wife, lead the way then. I look forward to that challenge."

Return to Top


***Chapter Four***
December 1999

Severus entered the store when he heard the bell ring indicating someone had come inside. It would alert him if he was in his lab or their private quarters, too. He'd been in the office working on invoices, but realized about the time a customer showed up that he'd have to wait for Hermione. He just wasn't computer savvy.

Prior to Hermione, he'd done them by hand. The wizarding world wasn't unaccustomed to handwritten invoices. However, the computer generated ones were superior in that they were always legible, no one could say they misread what he'd written, and they were faster. He just wasn't proficient enough to feel comfortable doing them without her around in case he ran into some issue.

His luck, he would erase everything and then she'd be more than just a little upset with him. He had no desire to ever have Hermione Granger more than just a little upset with him.

He frowned when he spotted the younger wizard perusing the shelf of newly released books that was on display. He'd like to say he was surprised by this turn of events, but if he'd been in Harry Potter's shoes he'd be doing the exact same thing. Regardless of what Hermione had said the evening after seeing him, he knew it was Harry's mention of his mother that led to the questions she'd asked that evening.

He wasn't upset, it was bound to come up. He'd been truthfully shocked she hadn't asked them before that night. He was also glad it came up before they'd consummated their marriage rather than after. The foreplay they engaged in was … exceptionally pleasing. Probably more than actual sex had ever been to him truthfully. However, if she'd decided after they'd had sex that she couldn't deal with the shadow of Lily that would always surround him. Well, he could admit that would have been pretty devastating.

So, if his best friend was now married to the man who'd been in love with his mum he'd likely come talk to the husband, too.

"Mr. Potter," he said, trying to refrain from his tone appearing rude or snide. He thought he accomplished it, but it was hard to tell. Years of saying the wizard's name with disdain were hard to brush off.

"Hey, Mr. Snape," he said, smiling at him.

"Hermione is not here."

"Oh, I know. Well, I guess I didn't know that for sure, but took the chance since she's in school and it's a school day that she'd be on campus."

"Okay." The word came out clipped, sounding more cautious than he'd intended it to.

"I wanted to see you, Sir."

"I'm no longer your professor, Potter."

"Yes, well, I took my cue from you addressing me as Mr. Potter."

"You are my wife's best friend, I think Severus will do."

"Thanks, and Harry, please," he said, smile widening.

"All right then, Harry. What brings you to my doorstep today?"

"Well, I wanted to extend an invitation for the both of you to attend Christmas Day at my home personally. Just so you, and Hermione, know I really do want you there. I'm sure she thinks I offered just to be nice or something."

He'd invited them to Christmas? She hadn't told him that. Why? Did she not want to go? Did she not want him to go? Was she going to go without him? And more, why did Potter want them there?

"Why?"

"Because she's my best friend and you're her husband. Aside from being her husband you are a hero and were friends with my mum. You are always welcome in my home. I realize Christmas Day may not be your ideal time to announce you're married, but you'd see everyone that matters to Hermione at one time."

"That's a selling point?" Severus knew what the younger wizard was getting at, but he wasn't sure he liked the idea of getting it all done at one time.

He shrugged. "I thought it might be, kind of like a plaster, you know, just rip it off to get the exposure. I also had another idea."

"Go on, enlighten me further."

"Well, what if I brought Luna with me the next time I visit Hermione. She mentioned giving me a tour of campus after the holidays. Well, if Luna came along, the two of you could do an interview with her for the Quibbler."

"Why would we ever care to do that?"

"To get the upper hand on Rita Skeeter and the Daily Prophet, knowing your story would get out on your terms. You know once it's discovered that you won't be able to tell it. I think we can handle those in attendance on Christmas to not say anything. I mean they're all Hermione's friends so they're not going to sell you two out to Skeeter. They wouldn't do that to Luna if nothing else."

He bowed his head slightly in acknowledgement. Harry was right.

"I'll think about it. Neither of us is in any hurry to return."

"You don't have to return, but neither of you should feel as though you have to hide either, Severus. You're heroes, both of you. You deserve to be left alone, to heal, and to figure things out now that you don't have to be a spy anymore. Believe me I get that. You deserve to have your happiness known, too."

"This wouldn't be so the Prophet has something else to report on but your comings and goings?"

"No! Ron does just fine in that department."

Severus scowled at the mention of the youngest Weasley boy. He hated to admit it and he'd never say it but he was somewhat jealous of Ronald Weasley. That he'd had a friend such as Hermione. That he'd gained her affections even if for only a short while. Severus hadn't gained them. He'd made her an offer. She'd accepted. Now they were married.

"I just want my friend, you know? I get not wanting to live there, but you both deserve more than Christmas by yourselves."

"Mayhaps we like Christmas to ourselves, Harry."

The look on Harry's face made Severus believe he'd struck a chord with that statement. Some people preferred their solitude. Neither he nor Hermione enjoyed crowds of people. It was one of the reasons he had put forward his offer toward her, he knew their personalities suited one another to some degree in areas he felt it was important.

Not that he claimed to know one whit as to what was truly important to make a marriage work.

"That may be, but you deserve the choice."

"Your concerns and invitation have been heard," he said simply.

"And what of my mother?"

"What of Lily?"

"You don't find it a bit odd you love her for almost twenty years and then marry my best friend instead?"

"My feelings for your mother were quite complex. The memories you received were … inadvertently shared."

"What do you mean?"

He frowned. Had he really just asked that?

"How much more direct can I be? I didn't intend to share them with you. Those were my memories!"

"I didn't even know you knew my mother until then. Not like that."

"Yes, well, now you know. And, no, I don't find it odd. Hermione is a smart and beautiful witch who is loyal and kind almost to her detriment."

Harry tilted his head as if thinking on that statement, nodding after a moment's thought.

"You're right. From that standpoint, it doesn't seem odd. It's just, she was my Mum, you know? Supposedly everything you did was for her. I just don't want to see Hermione get hurt. She's wicked smart, you know that as well as I do even if you did everything you could to make her think that she wasn't while we were students. There are some things books just can't teach. Guarding your heart is probably the biggest one and I'm afraid she feels so completely that she's going to end up hurt when she finds out that she can't compete with a ghost."

"She was my friend, Harry. A person I knew before Hogwarts. Think about your time before Hogwarts, your living conditions. Tell me that a person who'd befriended you wouldn't be significant."

Harry nodded simply at the statement so Severus knew he'd struck home with that comment. Hermione had told him how Harry had grown up, and while he had no love for James Potter the fact that Albus left the child under the care of Petunia Dursley nee Evans knowing how the woman felt about magic and the magical world. Well, his respect for the wizard decreased immensely with that information. It was a wonder Harry survived to make it to Hogwarts if only just some of the things Hermione had told him about happened.

"I wanted the parties responsible for her murder, and the murder of countless others, dealt with. I owed it to her, to her memory, to finish what I'd embarked on when I came to Albus to ask for his assistance. Now, that's enough on that subject, Harry."

"Yes, Sir," he said. "I'm sorry. I just want Hermione to be happy."

"As do I, so our goals are not just very similar but eerily the same in this. If you're implying that I cannot make her happy, well that would be an argument I would recommend keeping to yourself."

"Who's going to take care of a child if one happens while she's in to school?"

"The wonders of owning my own business, I don't have to clear such things with a boss. I would."

Harry eyed him suspiciously, and Severus could practically feel the doubt and disbelief rolling off of the younger wizard.

"You are going to take care of a baby?"

"We're not trying for one, Harry, I assure you that is not even on our minds at this point. As a potions master I think you can assume an accidental pregnancy will not occur. My wife has plans for her future and I have no interest in thwarting them by having her with child at every turn."

"Okay," Harry said.

He didn't look doubtful exactly but clearly surprised. He supposed it wasn't the usual attitude wizards had. Lucius Malfoy had never said it outright, but Severus assumed there had been issues even before Draco's conception that prevented more Malfoys. Only having one was not the norm for purebloods.

"And really, Harry, if that were to be an issue do you think your friend would leave a baby with someone she didn't feel was capable of caring for him?"

"No, of course not. Hermione would never do that."

"Then have faith in her even if you do not in me."

"If I were to get you both tickets to a Harpies game, just the three of us, would you go?"

"Possibly," he said.

"Ginny misses her, too, you know."

"You act as if I'm keeping her here against her will. I assure you I am not as evidenced by the fact she met with you and told you where we live."

"You live here?"

"Yes, our rooms are upstairs," he said, gesturing to the floor above them. "My lab is downstairs."

"I should have known it was you."

"What?"

"That she was with you when a raven delivered her letters."

Severus chuckled at that. He'd gone with a raven thinking it would look less strange in this area than an owl being seen frequently coming and going.

"Yes, well, Huginn is rather fond of the treks Hermione sends her on to deliver your letters." He glanced at the clock on the wall when the mail carrier entered to deliver his postal service-related mail for the day. "Did you need anything else then? Are you confident that I'm not keeping your friend against her will? That she actually has a roof over her head and she hasn't shackled herself to me and a life of poverty?"

"Well, yes," he said simply. "I mean, no I don't need anything else. Just please don't hurt her."

"I have no intentions of doing so," he said, resisting the urge to sneer at the younger wizard. "As to your question about the tickets. You'd have to ask Hermione. If she's agreeable I would be, too."

"Okay, I will. And don't forget, Christmas Day."

"Why are you hosting and not the Weasleys?"

"They're doing Christmas Eve," he shrugged.

"I see. I will talk it over with her."

"Thank you. I know she'll listen to you if you're in favor of it."

Severus snorted at that. "You do realize it's not the way I wish to spend my Christmas?"

"Of course," he said, smiling widely at that. "Are you going to tell her that I came here today?"

"Well, I'll have to if I'm going to discuss attending a Harpies game and Christmas Day with her, won't I?"

"I guess so. Good."

"You want her to know?"

"I want her to know we can get along without her acting as some sort of buffer."

Is that what they'd done? Severus scoffed, realizing they had in fact done precisely that. Would wonders never cease. "Very well. I trust you can see yourself out."

"I can," he said. "It's nice to see you alive and well."

"Thank you, you as well, Potter."

He left then, leaving Severus to thumb through the day's offerings of mail. One item caught his attention as it was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Severus Snape. Mail was addressed to them individually as a rule. In fact, he couldn't recall a single item until now being addressed to the both of them. He pulled it out from the rest, rolling his eyes at the return address indicating it was from Justin Finch-Fletchley. It was too early to be a wedding invitation, Severus believed anyhow. As if he had any true knowledge of such things. He knew at those he'd been a guest at, invitations came weeks, maybe a couple of months prior to the date not six months.

He opened it and saw it was an invitation to Christmas dinner.

"Aren't we just the popular couple this Christmas," he murmured, setting the invitation aside to show to Hermione when she returned later.

Return to Top


***Chapter Five***
December 25, 1999

As it turned out the invitation to join Justin's family was for early in the day. Harry's invitation was nowhere near as formal and they assumed they could show up whenever they wanted to if they chose to go. Since they hadn't formally (or informally for that matter) accepted, they surmised they wouldn't be expected to eat dinner whatever time they arrived.

They had accepted the Finch-Fletchley invitation.

Severus didn't particularly want to, but he knew that being married to someone who somewhat desired social outings, it was something he'd have to do. That and it would be rude to turn down an invitation from his former student's family who extended such an invitation to him.

He supposed he should look at getting the fireplace in his lab registered and connected with the wizarding floo network, but he was a long way off from that point. The fireplace in the basement and their flat were part of the reason he'd purchased this building. He had no idea if someone magical had built, or designed, it. It was an old enough building that the fireplaces were not thought of as odd additions. There hadn't always been electric heat. The only reason he thought of it today was that it would be far easier to enter Potter's home at Grimmauld Place without being seen via the floo.

And neither of them particularly cared to be seen yet.

"You look lovely," he said.

Her clothes weren't what drew his attention first. She had heels on, and he could admit to finding that he was a sucker for her wearing them. He'd had no idea he had such a … fetish. Until now.

"You clean up very well yourself," she said.

He was dressed all in black as per usual with the exception of his tie, which was Slytherin green in color of course. His socks were the same shade of green, not that anyone would catch more than a glimpse of those. She saw them, though, and laughed with a shake of her head at his choice in matching socks and tie.

She was wearing a black velvet dress. It wasn't Gryffindor red, but she'd seen it and thought it was appropriate for Christmas. She'd come home from shopping and thought he was going to be upset with her for spending as much as she had. He could honestly say, looking at her now, that whatever she spent was more than fine.

The hem fell just above her knee. It had a pretty low decollete so her scars showed, but Severus had assured her it looked fine without a glamour or anything in place. The love bites he'd left on the side of her neck just under her ear and the top of her breast last night also showed. Those she'd bargained with him on glamouring. She really had not wanted Justin's family to see them, which he found amusing as they were married.

So at lunch with the Finch-Fletchleys they would be hidden, the rest of the time not. She would allow him his need to claim his territory in front of her friends later since he was accompanying her to both of these places because of her desire to go. He knew exactly why he wanted them to be seen. She evidently did, too.

Not knowing if their hosts were teetotalers they brought both a bottle of wine and a box of excellent chocolates as gifts.

"Do you want me to glamour your arm?" he asked.

"No, not today," she said.

"You are certain?" That surprised him.

"Yes, I get the impression Justin's family is rather stuffy. I'd rather they see a scar versus thinking I have a tattoo."

"Don't want them thinking he's friends with a wild witch?"

"Well, I did marry you. I'm not sure they'll think anything but."

His lips quirked into the hint of a smile. "Touche, Madam Snape."

Gifts in hand they apparated near the Finch-Fletchley household. Severus let out a low whistle once they'd walked the short distance to the home from the apparition point Justin had told them would be safe to apparate to and from.

"I knew they were well to do. I mean, I didn't pay him much attention at all, but you can tell by how someone carries themself."

"I know what you mean. I think Justin told me once they are distantly related to the royal family. I guess that's not saying a whole lot, it seems most anyone can probably claim to be that from some distant branch of their family tree anymore."

"It would appear they really do quite well on their own."

It wasn't Malfoy Manor (where they'd be ending their day later tonight), but it was an impressive muggle home that had more rooms than a family could possibly have need of. It was a home that Severus Snape would have envied when he was Hermione's age. His mother had given up living in a home that exceeded this one to marry his father.

He imagined their home in the fifties when his mum and dad had first started their lives together was nice. It was a nice neighborhood and they had clearly put some effort into the furnishings and decor. He distantly recalled the stove and other appliances being new when he was a boy. Layoffs, alcohol, and misery led to things not getting taken care of, which led to basically nothing more than squalor. Even in the beginning, though, their home had not come close to this. This went beyond merely nice.

He wondered again, not for the first time how and why his mum had done it. For that matter, how had his dad gotten her to give it up?

"It would seem so," Hermione agreed.

A servant answered the door.

"Hermione and Severus Snape," Severus said without hesitation or any disdain coming through in his tone. Visiting homes with servants was not uncommon in the circles he had traveled. He wondered if it was for Hermione. He didn't imagine she had much reason to. Certainly the Weasleys didn't have servants. He knew her parents did well, but he didn't think they were to this level.

"Happy Christmas," the young woman said. She couldn't have been much older than Hermione. She was dressed in a black dress, rather plain and simple. Clearly, servants' attire.

"Happy Christmas," Severus and Hermione both said.

"May I take your coats? The others are in the reception room," she said, gesturing to the closed doors to their right.

"Thank you," Hermione said to both Severus and the servant. Severus helped her out of her coat before handing it off and then slid out of his own.

He dropped his hand to the small of her back, stroking her there with his thumb. He was aware that she liked him doing this (so did he), and walked with her to the reception room.

There were about twenty other people there. Susan's eyes lit up immediately upon seeing them. Severus never thought he'd see the day a former student was … happy to see him. Well aside from the one next to him anyway. He imagined it was an indication that she wasn't overly comfortable here in a house full of muggles. He didn't get the impression there had been any other witches or wizards in Justin's family tree.

"Hermione! Severus," she said their former professor's name with perhaps a little less enthusiasm as well as a bit of caution. "You made it."

"It was very easy to find," Severus said.

"I'm so glad."

They took seats next to Susan and Justin where Hermione joined in small talk with them about this and that. Severus joined in periodically, but mostly listened and observed. It was rather loud, clearly everyone else in the room knew one another. They were talking amongst themselves. Severus imagined distant relatives who saw one another at Christmas, Easter, and maybe one other time a year. Families like this had picnics and such. Foreign to Severus, but he knew they occurred.

The wizard thought that lunch was more than bearable. The Finch-Fletchleys seemed like decent people. It was clear they were in mixed company as far as knowledge of the magical world, so conversation was entirely about the muggle world and interests. Somehow during the course of the meal and the time that they stayed afterward before heading to Grimmauld Place they agreed to another movie and dinner night with the couple the weekend after next.

Never in his wildest imagination did he picture his life encompassing double dates.

Justin and Susan walked them to the door as they were leaving. They were the first to leave, making their excuses that they had another engagement to get to. Severus had been shocked the man's father shook his hand and seemed … pleased to do so. He was unaccustomed to parents of his former students liking him.

"I'm glad you came," Justin said, shaking Severus' hand. He was not used to this much physical touching. It was odd. Not in a bad way, just odd. "I was sure you were going to blow off the invitation."

"I won't deny the thought occurred to me, but you saved us the effort of cooking and having to clean up afterward."

Justin laughed heartily at that. "Well, I am glad we were able to do that then."

"Your father didn't seem to care for me much initially," Severus said.

"Well, I may have complained about you a few times over the years," Justin said, blushing at the admission. "He warmed up to you as the day went on, though."

"Ah," Severus said with a nod. "And he did. He was probably more pleasant than I would have been to him, assuming those stories are anything like I'd tell."

"I assured him that you more than made up for any mistreatment I may have perceived to have been on the receiving end of with your role in the war."

"At least he can't hex me."

"He wouldn't do that anyway."

Hermione hugged Susan.

"Say hi to Harry," they both said.

"I will."

"Try not to hex anyone," Susan said with a smirk at Severus.

"Only for Hermione's sake will I refrain, believe me. I have no doubt that I will be tempted more than once before the night is over."

They took their leave then. Severus glanced back at the house for a moment.

"They seem nice."

"This surprises you?"

"Well, yes. I mean, Lucius was not inherently nice. Nor was anyone with the means this family seems to have, including my maternal bloodline."

She slid her hand around his arm and tugged him closer. "I'm glad you are able to see that not everyone is like that."

"This is the most social I've been in my entire life," he drawled as they returned to the apparition point to make their way to Grimmauld Place.

"Do I have to worry about your health?"

"Not yet. Ask me again after we deal with people who the last time I saw them were wanting me dead."

"Not everyone wanted you dead," she protested.

"Other than you that is."

She shrugged, apparently unable to argue with him on that point as they apparated to the step leading to Grimmauld Place.

Hermione reached across him and rang the bell with her right hand before sliding it back into his left. She squeezed and he returned the gesture.

"It will be fine."

"Says you. These people like you."

"They'll like you, too. They don't know you, Severus, not really. You can change that. If you give them a chance, if you let down your walls even just a little bit and interact with them they will."

He snorted. They absolutely would not. At least not tonight. Maybe eventually, but tonight he'd be the evil wizard who somehow ensnared her.

"It's kind of you to say so."

He wasn't going to argue with her. He knew better.

Harry opened the door, cutting off any further comment anyway. Surprise showed in his eyes at the sight of them. He was dressed rather festive, muggle, but festive nonetheless.

"Oh," he said, clearly surprised. Of course, Severus had years of observing this wizard to know his moods.

"Hello, Harry, Happy Christmas," she said.

"Hermione," he said, stepping out from the door to hug her. "I really didn't expect you'd come."

"Should we not have? Did you not want us to?"

"No, of course not. I do! Truly. I wouldn't have invited you if I didn't want you here. I'm just surprised. What did you say to convince him?"

"Well, I promised him a good shag in the bath later if he acted like a good wizard for the day."

Harry coughed and Severus smirked. Oh, he liked this side of Hermione. He'd have to ask her another time if shagging in the bath was on her list of things to do. They hadn't experimented in the bath yet.

"Seriously, Harry, we decided to come. Are you going to let us in? Or should we leave?"

"No, come in," he said, stepping back inside so they could follow him.

"Thank you," she said.

Severus moved to release her hand once they crossed over the threshold, but Hermione wouldn't let go. His eyes widened at her in surprise. He assumed she'd want the contact to end once they were among people who knew her well. He couldn't deny he liked the contact.

"Look who I found on the doorstep," Harry said once they were in the parlour where everyone else seemed to be gathered.

"Hermione!" came the cry from several voices, sounding excited to see their friend. A few noticed him, but were not paying close enough attention to see their intertwined hands. Or so it seemed anyway.

"Happy Christmas," she said, regarding everyone in the room.

It seemed that she knew most of the people, but there were a few she did not know or even seem to recognize. He knew this only by the slight look of question in her eyes as she looked at them. He assumed they were aurors, people Harry had met through work.

"What's he doing here?" Ron said from his seat. Ever astute and blunt. Weasley.

"I'm with him," Hermione said, squeezing his hand.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ron asked.

"Well, Ron," she said, letting Harry take their coats. "I wouldn't show up on Christmas without my husband."

"It's Christmas not April Fool's Day," he said.

"I'm aware of the day and we came because we were invited."

"I'm sure the invitation was only for you."

"No, it wasn't," Harry offered.

"You knew she was married to the git and said nothing?"

"His name is Severus, or Mr. Snape I suppose to you, and it wasn't my secret to tell."

"You're on a first name basis with him now?"

"He's married to my best friend. Our best friend. He was friends with my mother. He saved our lives. More than once. Maybe you as a pureblood yourself don't put much stock into what he did, but Hermione and I raised by muggles sure do. We like having the option of a place in the wizarding world."

Molly had escaped into the kitchen Severus noticed, looking none too pleased. He was sure the older witch had assumed Hermione would return to the magical world and fall into her son's waiting arms thinking that she'd have no idea he'd dated his way through a couple of quidditch teams' worth of witches from the sounds of it. Severus realized the rumours might not be true. It really didn't matter whether they were or not. Molly likely expected this witch to be her daughter in-law. Wanted it. Severus couldn't blame her.

It was part of the reason he'd made the offer to her he had. He'd been afraid if he didn't that she'd end up back in the magical world in the other wizard's arms for lack of being able to attend university as she desired. Did he know that would happen? No.

Weirder things had happened when people felt their situation was helpless!

He should know.

He hadn't expected to actually develop feelings for her or her for him. Neither had spoken of the existence of feelings to this point, but he could only presume that she wouldn't engage in the activities they did each night if she didn't feel something for him. He also knew things about the ring he'd given her that she was not aware of.

When making the offer he assumed he'd aid her and set her free when she'd finished her schooling, but by then she wouldn't be tempted to end up with Weasley. She deserved so much better. He wanted her to have better. He wanted her to achieve what she'd left the war wanting to do. Of all the students he'd taught over the years, she deserved to do so.

"Well, I don't want him ruining my Christmas," Ron said.

"Then you can leave," Harry said. "I invited them here. This is my house. You know where the door is. That goes for anyone else, too."

Ginny chose then to walk up to them, throwing her arms around Hermione.

"I'm so glad to see that you truly are alive and looking very well. Harry told me of your letters, but it's nice to see it for myself. And you, Professor, you are looking well, too."

"Miss Weasley," he said, nodding his head slightly. He had to admit, Ginevra was not too tedious. "Thank you. You are looking very well yourself."

Ginny took hold of Hermione's left hand and raised it. "My, you don't do anything halfway, do you, Professor?" she said, her thumb grazing over the stones on Hermione's ring.

"You may call me Severus, Miss Weasley."

"I'd be honoured. Ginny, please."

"Ginevra," he said with a nod and she gave a cheeky giggle.

"That's better than Miss Weasley at any rate. Don't let Ron bother you," she said, dropping Hermione's hand and waving in her brother's direction. "He'll get over it."

Severus followed his wife and Ginevra Weasley further into the room. A spot where they could sit next to one another opened up and Severus took a seat, offering his hand to Hermione so she could sit as well.

"There's no record of a marriage at the Ministry," Ron said in the background. "We would've heard about it I'm sure if there was. It would have been news! It would've been everywhere."

"Because we didn't get married in the magical world, you imbecile," Severus hissed through clenched teeth. Was he really going to do this here and now? Question the fact that they were actually married?

"Then it doesn't count!"

"I'd say the priest who married us would say quite different, Mr. Weasley."

Ron's face reddened at that.

Hermione chose to sit on his leg instead of next to him, sliding her arm around his neck as she adjusted herself on him.

"We are married, Ron, legally and officially and have been since September."

"You're crazy. He's confounded you or something."

"No, he really hasn't, Ron," Harry said.

"I actually think it's great," George said from his spot in the room.

"Thank you, George," Hermione said. "I happen to think so, too."

"Hmm," Severus said, watching the others as they alternated between staring at the unlikely couple and purposely looking at anything but them.

He had to admit it was a little fun. He would love to be here later, disillusioned, to hear what everyone said. Then he probably didn't want to, not really.

"Molly left the room," he whispered into Hermione's ear.

"I noticed. I have nothing to apologize for. I did not leave owing anyone or having promised anything."

"Good for you," he whispered, leaning in to kiss her.

"Gross," Ron said, obviously having been watching them.

For good measure he refrained from ending the kiss with any haste involved, drawing away from her only when necessary to breathe. It wasn't obscene or anything, even he wasn't classless as to do that. Severus was quite certain the redheaded wizard saw at least one of the love bites he'd left her last night. He was pretty sure Ginevra had as well. She'd smirked where Ronald had scowled. Immaturely territorial perhaps, but he couldn't resist. He'd known the wizard would be here. And truthfully he had never had a witch to be territorial about before. He wanted to enjoy it a bit. And flaunt it some. He wasn't sure what that made him.

"I think it's romantic," Ginny said. "And actually makes sense. They're both so smart and able to do whatever they put their minds to."

"Thank you, Ginny," Hermione said.

Eventually, Ron seemed to settle down and Severus and Hermione fell into various conversations with everyone there. He did continue to glare at them, but he at least kept his snide comments to himself.

Eventually, the only ones left were Ron and his date who must have been wondering what she was doing with someone so rude, Longbottom and Luna who appeared to be together as well as Harry and Ginny.

"So are you going to come for New Year's then?" Ron asked.

"I don't think so," Hermione said. "I think this was more than enough for us for the time being."

They had talked with Luna to meet for an interview. With Harry's assistance, Luna would come to the store two Sundays from now and sit down with them so that the wizarding world could be told about their situation. Those that were here tonight promised not to say anything until after the interview came out.

No one wanted to be on the bad side of Severus Snape. War hero or not, they all knew he had the ability to be viciously mean and no one wanted to be on the receiving end of his wrath. Hermione wasn't someone to be messed with either. He hadn't thought about it until now, but they were well suited in that regard as well, assuming that viciousness wasn't directed at her and vice versa, of course.

He wasn't sure that boded well for any disagreement they might have that might escalate into a full fledged argument.

"It's my first time ringing in the New Year as a husband, Mr. Weasley, I have no desire to spend it with anyone but my wife."

"Do you plan on getting out of bed at all that night, Severus?" Ginevra asked.

"Only when nature calls," he quipped, causing Hermione to blush profusely. He found that rather endearing. Neither Ron nor Neville looked too pleased at this topic but neither said anything.

"Well, that definitely sounds like my idea of how to ring in the New Year," Ginevra said.

"It's even a better idea when the witch in question is my wife."

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me, Harry," Ginevra said. She slapped his knee. He assumed this was good natured.

"It wasn't my secret to tell. I wasn't even sure they were going to come today."

"I get it, but still. I'm your girlfriend, Harry Potter!"

Severus suspected somehow that wouldn't be the end of the discussion on keeping secrets from his girlfriend.

"Harry," Hermione said, standing from the couch and tugging on Severus' hand. "There are a couple of books in the library I wanted to show Severus. Is it okay if I do that?"

Ron scoffed, shaking his head a bit with a knowing smirk. "At least some things haven't changed. She's still interested in nothing but books."

"I assure you, Mr. Weasley, she has other leisurely pursuits. It evidently just took the right wizard for her to see that doing can actually be more fun than just reading."

Ron blushed at that. He said nothing further.

"Go right ahead, Hermione, you know the way," Harry said. He looked amused and not uncomfortable, which sort of surprised Severus.

"I do, thanks," she said.

"Am I in trouble?" he asked once they were alone in the library with the door closed. He was not expecting her to slide her arms around him and kiss him deeply.

"I guess not," he said, murmuring against her lips.

"Feeling amorous, Madam Snape?" he queried, finding her neck and the bite mark he knew was already there.

"Mm hmm," she said.

They were normally in bed by this time in the evening doing their nightly exploration of one another before sleep overtook them.

She reached down to the front of his slacks, squeezing lightly as she moved her hand along his length. He wasn't hard yet, but she was quickly changing that with her efforts. Her hands on any part of his body always aroused him.

"Hermione," he murmured, moving so her back was against the door instead of his.

He slid his hand over her thigh and along her thigh, pushing the skirt of her dress up as he went and she gasped into his mouth at his touch. Her sounds were enough to undo him most of the time. She was so sincere. She wanted, desired, his touch. His hands on her aroused her.

He realized as his hand felt her bare upper thigh, hip, and arse cheek that she wasn't wearing nylons that went all the way up to her waist.

Or knickers.

"Merlin, Hermione, you left the house like this?"

His not being hard was no longer an issue. At all.

She gave a soft giggle, kissing the side of his mouth.

"Just imagine what Justin's parents would think if they knew."

He scoffed, he had no doubt they would have perished over their first course salad if they'd realized this witch was sitting at their very formal dinner party with no knickers. "Just what did you have in mind this evening, Witch?"

"I wasn't really sure, but knew I wanted to do something fun in this house."

"Fun?"

She giggled again, working the front of his trousers open so she could touch him.

"Yes."

"What is it you have in mind now?"

"Do you really need to ask me that when I have my hand wrapped around your cock and I'm wearing no knickers?"

"You've had your hand on my cock while wearing no knickers several times now, Hermione."

"I want you, Severus."

"Hermione, my witch, I refuse for your first time to be in this house with your friends probably listening at the door with those extendable ears George Weasley sells because they don't believe we are truly married."

"I was looking forward to giving the portraits something really scandalous to tell Walburga Black and on Christmas Day no less."

"Another time, Wife, I assure you I would be more than willing to assist you in putting her even further out of her mind."

She laughed then. "That kind of turns me on."

"I think with you most anything would."

"Not true."

"No?"

"Mm, Kreacher not so much."

He chuckled, nuzzling her neck. "That is exceedingly good to know, especially given your interest in house elves once upon a time."

"Bastard," she murmured with a laugh.

"Does this invitation extend to our bed when we get home?"

"I'm pretty sure it does," she said.

"Then let's get the hell out of here so we can visit Draco and get home sooner rather than later."

"Anxious, Wizard?"

"Mm, intrigued by just how pleasant being inside of you completely will feel."

"Me, too," she whispered.

"And I repeat, let's get the hell out of here," he said, moving her hand out of the way so he could put himself together again.

He repeated the process for her, straightening the skirt of her dress. A quick wave of his hand and neither of their clothes were wrinkled in a suspicious way. A second wave of his hand and her makeup and hair were refreshed.

She leaned up and kissed him.

"Let's go say good night."

He grabbed her hand, preventing her from opening the library door just yet. He kissed the back of it, eyeing her curiously. He had not expected this tonight.

"This isn't because I came here today, is it? Or to try to get out of seeing Draco?"

"Severus, no! Why would you think that?"

He shrugged. He had no doubt that she did in fact desire him. As odd as he believed it to be, she did. They'd engaged in enough activities for him to know her reactions were sincere and genuine.

"It's just rather sudden. And here in the Black library?"

"I told you I want to be your wife in every way weeks ago, Severus. And I do. You. Not because of anything or anyone else. You've made getting to this point more than enjoyable and a little frustrating when I can't go further I assure you."

He knew why she could go no further. He saw it in her eyes every time they got close to consummating their marriage. She got scared. While nothing had happened to her in that way while being held captive at Malfoy Manor, the threat had been there and it was taking a while to get over that fear. She certainly had no problem with any other act they'd done. Weeks ago he'd dipped into her mind at such a time when he saw the fear overtake her. He wished he could kill Bellatrix himself. Greyback, well, he'd get his Severus knew, if the werewolf hadn't already.

He hoped stopping at Malfoy Manor was not a mistake.

He'd brought it up since they were making an appearance in the wizarding world and Draco was his godson. He almost asked if she wanted him to glamour her arm, but realized she would not want that. Not because she enjoyed making anyone uncomfortable but she wasn't going to hide what happened to her. Offering to glamour it would make her think he was choosing the Malfoys' comfort over that of his wife. That was not the example or precedence he wanted to set.

They made their way downstairs and said their goodbyes mostly to Harry and Ginevra. The others that remained were distant even if they did bid them good night and Happy Christmas.

"Are you sure you're up for this?"

"No," she admitted. He knew it wasn't easy for her to be so open with her response.

They both had demons when it came to Malfoy Manor. She was aware of that. She didn't ask about his, which he appreciated.

Immensely.

He laced his fingers through hers, squeezing it a bit.

"Permit me the privilege of doing a side along with you."

"Of course," she said, adjusting her coat just enough.

He wondered if she found it as odd as he did to be going to magical places in muggle clothes. Probably not. Certainly not as strange as he found it. He couldn't recall the last time he'd worn muggle clothes in the wizarding world. With a deep breath, hoping this was the right thing to do, he focused on Malfoy Manor.

They didn't stay long, enough to give Draco a present and for godfather and godson to enjoy an after dinner drink. The tension between his godson's mother and his wife was palpable. Narcissa had made herself scarce once the formal pleasantries surrounding their visit were finished. His godson and wife had been pleasant to one another even if the visit was a little strained.

Lucius had been unable to buy his way out of a stint at Azkaban this go around, but from what Severus heard he hadn't tried that hard in order to ensure his wife and son stayed free. It was, in Severus' eyes, the most honourable his old friend had ever been. Draco's house arrest ended this past spring and he was now rather lost as no one wanted to give him a job.

Severus knew his godson had enough money, even with the restrictions the Ministry put on the Malfoys. Draco didn't seem to want to live on the Malfoy money alone. He wondered what Narcissa felt about her son … working. He could only imagine.

Hermione had suggested muggle university and Severus could tell his godson would think long and hard on that option even if he'd feigned scoffing and brushed it off as being beneath him. Draco had tells so he was aware of his godson's thoughts mayhaps more so than the young wizard was. He would never allow Hermione to know that, but he would think about what she'd said. She'd even offered to look at various options with him and the coursework he might be interested in. At their place not here, but she'd still extended the offer.

He would, at some point, need to support himself. Severus had faith that his godson would eventually want to become his own person. Not Lucius Malfoy's son and heir, but Draco Malfoy. He wasn't sure he'd get that in the wizarding world as soon the young wizard would like. People still brought up things Severus had done twenty years ago trying to show that he was loyal to Voldemort all along.

"Will we see you for New Year's then?" Draco asked as they were taking their leave for the night.

Severus scoffed. "I think not."

Hermione being agreeable to coming here for a quiet night just the four of them was entirely different than getting her to agree to a party. He doubted it would be as grand of an event as New Year's Eve had been previously in this house. However, it was still more than she would want to do. He wouldn't even ask. In truth, he didn't want to go either. Draco he cared about. Narcissa not as much. He, in fact, considered it his duty now more than ever to try to help the young wizard find his footing in this new world.

"Well, the invitation stands of course."

"Yes, well, I presume we'll be happily occupied just the two of us."

Draco paled a little at that. "Way more than I wanted to know."

"Happy Christmas, Draco," Hermione said.

"Happy Christmas," he said, bowing his head properly.

"That should do me as far as socializing until next Christmas."

Hermione sniggered softly before they apparated back to their place. Both sighed, grateful to be home even if neither said so outright.

He did not go to sleep that night regretting having stopped at Malfoy Manor in the least.

Return to Top


***Chapter Six***
January 2000

It was a Monday afternoon when his second visitor from the wizarding world showed up in his store in less than a month's time. Harry's visit had neither shocked nor annoyed Severus. Potter just wanted to verify his best friend was truly okay. In fact, Severus respected the younger wizard for taking the initiative to do so. It wasn't something he'd given him credit for. He wasn't sure why, underestimated how deep their friendship ran. Underestimated Harry Potter's ability to truly care for someone else's well being.

Molly Weasley, however, had no business being here. Not really.

Hermione owed her nothing. Molly was not Hermione's friend nor was she her mother, as much as she might have wanted to be by marriage.

His witch was upstairs working on a belated birthday dinner for him. She'd asked him the day before what he wanted to do for his birthday. Presented with the possibility of anything he could think of for his day (because he knew his witch would grant him anything he wanted within reason) he opted for neither of them to get out of bed other than to take a bath and get themselves food they could feed one another all day.

It had been very possibly the best day of his entire life. He wasn't sure if that made him a pathetic excuse of a man, but it was what it was. Now that actual sex was a part of their relationship he was (exhaustingly) thanking Merlin for her appetites. She was more than willing and able to try and make up for the time they missed.

He was willing, too, more than obviously. What man in his right mind wouldn't be? The able part was catching up with him as he barely made it out of bed this morning to work in his lab before the store's opening. A price he was more than willing to pay and he certainly wasn't about to wager a complaint.

And now here was Molly Weasley, looking fit to be tied. He was in no mood to have her ire directed at him. He'd been on the receiving end of it more than just a time or two over the years as professor to her spawn. Today, though, she was not here as a mother. Well, she likely was but she had no business doing so. His marriage to Hermione was none of her concern.

"Molly," he said, sounding cautiously stoic. It wasn't just him hearing that in his tone either because she stopped briefly before approaching him.

"Severus," she said.

"In the market for some muggle reading material now that all the offspring have flown the coop?"

"What?" she asked with a frown and Severus chuckled.

"Your children are all done with their schooling so perhaps you have downtime now that you haven't had in the past to read."

She scowled and huffed, removing her gloves. Evidently she didn't like the suggestion she'd want to pick up a book and read. He knew there were those who did not find reading … enjoyable. She'd attempted to blend in with muggle Liverpool, but she still managed to stand out. The hat, for one, was nothing a muggle her age would be caught dead in. He wasn't even sure Hermione or Ginevra would wear it. It had maybe been popular in the late seventies by someone like his mother.

Brown eyes assessed black ones.

"What can I do for you, Molly, as I'm quite certain you are not here as a customer despite this being my place of business."

"What game are you playing, Severus?"

"My days of game playing are over, Molly. As are my days of talking in or trying to decipher others' riddles. If you have a question, ask it."

"You stole that girl from Ronald."

He scoffed. Of course that was how she (and likely her son) would see it.

"That is not a question, however, I will answer you. I did no such thing. First. She is a grown woman or witch if you prefer, not a girl. Second. Ronald Weasley took himself out of contention as a suitor when he abandoned my wife and Harry Potter for weeks with a possessed locket."

"It had to have been worse for him due to him being a pureblood."

"If that's what you need to tell yourself to sleep well at night about the fact that your son abandoned his supposed best friend and the witch he loved. That the well-being of our world could have ended because he couldn't handle it and he left his friends to do it on their own."

"She's young enough…"

"To be my daughter. Technically that is true I suppose, however, I can assure you that I have no illegitimate children roaming around so it's not as if I have a son or daughter within a year or two of her age. More importantly, neither she nor I have an issue with the age difference. Ironically enough, you're not her mother nor are you mine, thankfully. What's more, you are not included in our marital decisions so your opinion means little."

"You're using her to bolster your reputation."

He scoffed, gesturing to his store. "Does it look to you, Molly, as if I'm missing the wizarding world? Does it seem as if my reputation needs any bolstering? Last I heard I was to be given an Order of the Merlin: First Class when I present myself next to the Minister. My reputation seems to be in good standing. We went to Potter's home because he invited us and Hermione thought it would be a good way to assure her other friends not named Potter that she was indeed safe and sound."

"I just don't understand why you would do that to my son."

"I didn't do anything to your son. Molly, really, think long and hard before you put Hermione in the position of having to choose between her marriage and life with me and her friendship with your son. The fact that she's written to only Harry should tell you what her choice will be. Do you really believe Hermione Granger, most brilliant witch of her age and very possibly the brightest witch Hogwarts has seen, would have been happy with your dunderhead of a son when all's said and done?"

"How dare you!"

"How dare I what? Speak the truth? I didn't come to your domicile or place of employment and insult you. You came to me. You have your head shoved up your arse if you think that Ronald Weasley would have gotten through even his first year without Hermione's assistance. If you think for one moment that he's even fit to wipe her boots you're sorely mistaken."

He took a deep breath.

"My wife didn't have to go with Potter on his hunt for the horcruxes. She could have erased her parents' memories and fled once they were out of harm's way. She's astute enough to know how not to be traced or found if she cared to do that. She stayed, though, and fought for the betterment of a world that she didn't even know existed until she was eleven and that shunned her because of her blood status. She didn't have to nurse me while I healed and she certainly didn't have to continue coming around to ensure I was all right. She did, though, because that's the kind of person my witch is. Now, if you're done with your crusade I have work to do."

"Do you even love her?"

"My feelings are between my wife and myself, Molly, they are not for you to gossip about. And if I hear or read one word of our marriage being public knowledge or this conversation I will hold you responsible."

"I wasn't the only one at Harry's house."

"No you weren't, but everyone else there was a friend of Hermione's, aside from your husband I suppose but something tells me he would agree with my assessment of the situation. The only others were associates of Potter's. I trust if he invited them he trusts them. They would respect her wishes for privacy until she decides on her terms to return to the wizarding world. I'll know it was you because I know how you work. We are married, Molly. Legally and according to her muggle God we are man and wife. No amount of gossip or backstabbing is going to undo that. Perhaps young Mr Weasley should have been more attentive and not a selfish imbecile so the witch didn't find him lacking. His loss is my gain so please be sure to thank him for his inability to appreciate what he had within his grasp."

He peered at her, enjoying the flabbergasted look on her face. He held back from saying everything he cared to say to this woman because she had been the one to kill Bellatrix. It was the only fact keeping him from delving further into his thoughts on Molly and Ronald Weasley.

"Now, if there's nothing else."

"If I find out that you are harming her."

He scoffed. "I've done nothing to the witch she hasn't asked me to do, Molly."

Hermione chose that moment to make her way into the store. He was glad she hadn't come down a minute or two ago.

"Severus, do you mind checking the roast to see if it's done. It looks like it is to me, but you've more experience than I do."

"Of course, my witch," he said evenly.

"Mrs. Weasley," she said, seeming to just now realize there was someone there.

"Hermione."

"Is Ginny all right?"

"Of course, why wouldn't she be?"

"Why else would you be here?"

"I wouldn't be here regarding Ronald?"

"I presume not, no," she said, glancing at Severus. He shrugged. He stopped trying to figure out the mind of the matriarch of the Weasley clan.

"Excuse me, Molly, I apparently have a roast to look after."



"I assumed you'd be at work or school," Molly said once Severus had left. Hermione was glad she spoke because for once in her life Hermione had no idea what to say to this woman.

"I have the afternoon free from classes and took a break from the library to cook Severus a birthday dinner since we didn't get to it yesterday," she said, blushing profusely at that.

They'd made love so many times yesterday that she was absolutely positive she had a sign on her forehead that said "thoroughly shagged". He'd given her a potion when she woke up this morning for any discomfort she might experience as a result and looked rather proud of himself while presenting it to her.

"You should have told Ronald."

"Told Ronald what?" Hermione asked. What did this woman think she owed him? And why? Because of a kiss? Because of years of being unable to decide whether he was interested in her? Because of laughing at her about her lack of a date for the Yule Ball? Because of him throwing it in his face that he was with Lavender?

"That Severus was courting you."

"I didn't owe Ronald anything. I didn't tell anyone, Molly."

"An indication you were ashamed, obviously."

"No, neither of us wanted the wizarding world to report on our relationship. We are both happy here for now," she said, gesturing to the store. "We've talked of returning when I've finished my degree, but we'll see then where things take us. Harry has known for months that I'm fine, just not how to get a hold of me. That was the way I needed it. It had nothing to do with shame. I needed time."

"Hermione, how can he possibly provide for you?"

"He's providing just fine," she said. "I work here part-time on weekends to keep myself from doing nothing but studying. I don't need to nor do I want to justify myself to you. If Ron left the final battle with ideas in his head."

"He says you kissed him."

"Yes, I did. I didn't think we were going to make it out alive. You were there. It was chaotic and exhilarating. I'd seen my best friend die and come back to life. I was relieved, overjoyed. I kissed my other best friend out of joy. I did not promise or commit to anything. Honestly, if we hadn't run into two of my Hogwarts classmates I probably wouldn't have met with Harry a few weeks ago. I was pretty content."

"But Hermione…"

"Mrs. Weasley, I don't mean to seem rude, but I have things to do. I appreciate that you may have been under some sort of impression regarding my relationship with Ronald. That was his doing, though, not mine if he led you to believe something that wasn't true. The fact I left the wizarding world and wrote to only Harry should have been a huge clue. And if he is so in-love with me and upset over my being gone please tell me why he's on the eighth or ninth witch now?"

"So you married someone else because he's dating around?"

"I married someone else because I didn't love Ron and never said that I did. I cared for him a lot, I won't lie about that. That time on our own made me think about a lot of things. He never even asked me to be in a relationship with him. Severus is who makes me happy, understands me, and supports me in everything I'm endeavoring to do where Ron ridiculed and laughed at my idea. I certainly try to do the same in return for Severus. One day we'll return to the wizarding world I'm sure but not for now. Maybe not even until our children go to Hogwarts. I don't know. Now, I really do have dinner to see to or he's going to do it all himself again and the whole point of this was him not having to cook for his birthday."

Severus came downstairs then, sliding an arm around her waist once he was by her side.

"The roast is indeed done, Hermione."

"Thank you. I wouldn't want to make you sick."

He chuckled softly. She was by no means the world's greatest cook, but she was doing fine. She was learning as well as they went, which was fine with him. In truth, most evenings he had time to cook where she did not so he did not mind making dinner.

"You did very well. I left it out of the oven so you can do whatever else you were planning now."

"I'm glad to see you're well, Mrs. Weasley, even if you cannot accept or understand the decisions I've made with my life."



She returned upstairs then, Severus was kind of surprised Mrs. Weasley didn't leave. How he wished she would, but even he had his limits as to how rude he could be to this woman. He was indebted to her for ridding the world of Bellatrix, if for no other reason than what the crazy witch had done to Hermione. He saw the remnants of that every night. The physical scars weren't all that had been left behind either.

"You'll be good to her, Severus?"

"Does she look deprived or mistreated to you, Molly? Really?"

"No," she said, "but you live…"

"In an apartment above a store in a building that I own, Molly. I have a lab in the basement where I have a rather profitable potions business going. She's close to campus, and works the store when her homework allows. We are far from being destitute. Truly this store is more of a side business now that my potions are selling. Despite what you may have thought about me over the years I prepared for a rainy day, or my survival as it turned out. If there will be nothing else," he said, gesturing to the door which he wandlessly and wordlessly opened just in case she couldn't take a not so subtle hint.

He made his way upstairs to their rooms once Molly left. The wards and bell would alert him of someone entering before closing time came. He wanted to ensure Hermione was truly all right after Molly's unexpected visit.

He slid his arms around her waist, brushing his cheek against her jaw, and kissed her ear.

"Is she done scolding us?"

"For today," he shrugged. "I can't blame her."

"For thinking I owed Ronald something because I kissed him?"

"I prefer not to think about that at all, my sweet. However, she is not a stupid witch. Her son marrying the brightest witch of his age would have been quite the feather in the Weasley family cap."

"I suppose," she said, leaning against him. "Is that really all I was to her, do you think? A way to increase their social standing?"

"Oh, I have no doubt she likes you, Hermione. You're a likable witch. However, that doesn't mean that she's not disappointed a witch of your calibur has slipped through her fingers. The younger Mrs. Weasley is not in the competition for brightest witch of her age."

"Fleur is…"

"Yes, I'm aware of what she is. She is still nothing compared to you. Trust me, your husband is a wise wizard," he said, chuckling against her ear. "Now, are you done cooking for the moment?"

"Well," she said, glancing at the stove. "I do still have things…"

"Nothing pressing then," he said, working the buttons on her top from behind her.

"Severus."

"I assume since you're cooking me a birthday dinner that my birthday present still applies."

"I'm beginning to wonder if I've created a monster."

"Mm," he said, kissing her neck. "Something tells me that is not the case."

"Why?"

"Because your curiosity in all things is not because of me. That's you. If it was not how you are, I'd have a lifetime of missionary position in my future."

"That is true," she admitted. "I do enjoy discovering…"

"Yes, well, let's stop talking about those discoveries, and see if we can't make a new one."

"The store…"

"I'll trade you quick now for not so quick later. I do want to eat dinner sometime today after all." He moved then, taking her with him so he could settle her on the table.

"Would you be disappointed if it is just because this is all new to me?" she asked as he did his best to ensure she was ready for him.

"Mm, as long as you don't delegate me to a separate bedroom, no."

"Really?"

"Really."

"I would never want you sleeping separately from me again."

"I will remind you of that when we argue," he said, chuckling. "Now, I believe I have more of my present to enjoy before dinner."

Return to Top


***Chapter Seven***
June 24, 2000

Hermione chewed on her lower lip as she regarded herself in the mirror. The clothes looked nice and everything. Her hair, well, she'd finally found a stylist who could tame it so while it was the same length as she'd worn it for years it was far more manageable and controllable. So it looked nice today.

She knew she looked healthier than she had two years ago. That wasn't saying much, but she was still very glad that they did not have any magical mirrors. Severus assured her that she looked fine. She just felt as though she had not gained a proper amount of weight back from that year on the run. He assured her that she did not look unhealthy to him. She also felt bad because for this event he'd treated her to a very nice dress. Nothing nice she had from before the war fit her anymore, between the weight loss and her figure changing.

He assured her it was no hardship to buy her one dress when some wives would demand several. He wanted her to feel good about what she was wearing and how she presented herself to not just him but everyone she encountered. At the bookstore or on campus.

She believed him, but she still felt as if she was taking advantage of his generosity rather horribly. Yes, he paid her a wage, but not enough to do a complete wardrobe overhaul.

"Are you sure this looks all right?" she asked him.

"Hermione, Love, you look fine. You are truly breathtaking without distracting from the bride, which I do believe is frowned upon in these instances."

"I just," she took a deep breath.

People were going to see them together for the first time knowing they were married at this wedding today. A lot of people. She wasn't sure how many magical people would be in attendance since it was a muggle ceremony. She knew more than a few would be, though. There would be people from the Ministry there, no doubt. That would include reporters surely since they got together at a war memorial service.

They'd done an interview with Luna in January as they'd arranged at Christmas. Harry, Neville, and Ginny had come with and the six of them had a nice day overall. No mention of Ron, or his absence, had been made. She'd felt his absence, because clearly if the four of them had come, Ron had been invited too and declined. She was pretty sure he'd be there today so she'd see him again whether she wanted to or not. Not that she was mad at him. She wasn't. She understood his reaction. He was hurt, but his reaction was hurting her. It wasn't just Ron, other magical people would be there. And they'd know. They'd look at them. They'd wonder if they'd been involved when she was a student despite their denials.

She didn't really care, other than people thinking she'd do that. She was most concerned about  Severus. He was right, people were going to think what they wanted to. They couldn't go overboard with their denials, that would be suspicious, too.

From her understanding the article had met with mostly favourable responses. Not being active in the wizarding world they didn't know for sure. Both had declined Luna's offer of sending them any owls she received directed to either of them. There were some who'd replied to the article quite disgusted at the idea Luna told Hermione (not Severus), but she assured Hermione those responses had been far fewer than the ones indicating they were glad Severus had found peace and happiness.

It was Susan and Justin's wedding Hermione was dressing and fretting over her appearance for. It was a muggle wedding because while Justin's parents knew of the wizarding world there were just too many guests on his side of the guest list to give all of them the knowledge.

She took a deep breath as she cast a spell to pile her hair on top of her head with some stray strands purposely left down. The stylist she'd found tried to show Hermione something new she could do with her hair every time she went in for a trim. She told Hermione she took it as a challenge. Hermione wasn't sure if that was good or bad, but she was learning to care for her hair in different ways. Ways she liked. It was kind of fun, and Severus seemed to enjoy seeing the different things she did with it.

She put the finishing touches on her makeup and then slid on a new pair of dressy flats versus heels and she was ready. She was hoping that Severus would dance with her a few times and did not want her feet to ache by the end of the night. She was as ready as she was ever going to be. It was a formal wedding, so Hermione's deep emerald green gown coordinated very nicely with Severus' (obviously) black suit. He'd opted for a gray shirt, which she had to admit looked very nice on him. She'd never seen him dressed up like this, he was always dressed nicely but casually at the store. She was pretty sure she wasn't going to be able to take her eyes off of him all night.

"I assume by that rather possessive look in your eyes that I pass your inspection?"

"You'll do," she said, smirking at him.

She closed the distance between them after grabbing the wrap he'd given her to wear with her dress in case she got cold (silver of course, which made her roll her eyes with a chuckle when she saw it) and her clutch. The dress was entirely too expensive, but he'd insisted she deserved something not transfigured for tonight. He seemed to think how she was dressed would be more of a reflection on him than what he wore. She reached up on her tiptoes and kissed him, tugging lightly on the lapels of his suit coat.

"In fact, you'll do so well I cannot wait to get you out of that suit later."

"I assure you my thoughts are very inline with yours then."

"Well, that bodes very well for the night for both of us, doesn't it?"

"Indeed."

He offered her his arm. Justin and Susan had set up rooms in both the church and the reception site for wizards to apparate to, which was appreciated by many. Severus and Hermione elected to close the store for the weekend and drive, however, because they rather enjoyed doing things the muggle way for now. A weekend away was welcome, too. He admitted he hadn't had much occasion to drive prior to the last year or so, so he enjoyed it.

He'd owned the car prior to her running into him. She would have paid good money to see Severus Snape buying a vehicle. The stories her father had told about his experiences left Hermione wondering if anyone was hexed during Severus' experience.

She took a deep breath in the church parking lot while Severus got out and walked to her side in order to open the door for her and hand her out. They didn't go out real often, certainly when they did it was nothing fancy or formal so it surprised her almost every time how well-mannered he was. She'd wondered more than once why a witch hadn't snapped him up. Their loss was her gain, though. She was very happy with the way things had turned out and considered herself rather lucky.

She hoped he did, too. They didn't talk about stuff like that, though. It wasn't that they avoided topics like it, they just didn't come up. She knew he was happy as she was, but putting voice to that seemed somewhat more than either of them were ready to do yet.

They made the way up the church's steps and into the foyer. It was a pretty old church, not unexpected given Justin's heritage. There was quite a crowd. Judging by the number of people not looking at the church and the muggle-dressed people she guessed most were muggle, or at least muggleborn.

"Hermione," she heard Harry call to her from their left.

She smiled, offering him a quick wave, and took another deep breath.

"We will be fine," Severus whispered in her ear. It was as if he was reading her mind.

She nodded, squeezing his arm just a bit. They walked toward her friends. She imagined he was probably as nervous as she was. These were her people not his.

Hermione scanned the room quickly to see if there was anyone Severus might know that wasn't a friend of hers, and there wasn't. She supposed there wouldn't be really, Susan nor Justin would have invited someone like Draco to their wedding.

"You look amazing," Ginny said, giving Hermione a hug.

"Thank you," she said. "You do, too."

"Thank you," Ginny beamed.

"Severus," Harry said after a moment's hesitation, offering the other man his hand. Severus took it, looking very much as if he was coming to terms with the fact he was going to be on a first name basis with his archnemesis' son.

"Harry," Severus offered. Hermione was pretty sure all standing together at that moment let out a breath of relief.

"Ginevra, you do, in fact look lovely."

"Thank you, Severus," she said, stammering a bit over his name.

"Luna, Neville, Weasley. Nice to see you as always," he drawled.

"You, too," Luna beamed with a look on her face that said she knew things others didn't.

"Yes, Sir," Neville said and Hermione smirked at her former classmate. "Severus I mean."

"We should sit," Luna said.

Ron said nothing, but he did sit with their group. There were a few other students from Hogwarts there but not many and none they knew real well.

There was someone there from the Daily Prophet, but at least it wasn't Rita Skeeter. She likely didn't realize the Golden Trio would be there. They'd cut a break there.

"No doubt our appearance will make the paper tomorrow," Severus said against her ear once they were just waiting for the wedding to start.

"I know," she said. "I just hope Susan and Justin's wedding is not overshadowed by that," she said.

"It won't be."

"I hope not. I would feel very bad."

"You cannot control reporters, Hermione, muggle or not. Our appearance with Mr. Potter to a function such as this is an expected occurrence I would presume. If the Prophet makes a big deal out of it, that's on them not you."

"I know that."

"Good."

She slid her hand to his cheek and kissed him. "Thank you."

"Anytime, Love."

They'd never actually said ‘I love you'. Him calling her love was the closest they'd come. Sometimes she thought she should say it, but she still wasn't entirely sure he loved her and that scared the crap out of her. If his calling her love was just a thing he did and he didn't mean it as in I love you and this was still basically an agreement to him. Well, she was fairly sure it'd crush her. Not to mention the embarrassment of him knowing she'd taken an agreement and turned it into something he'd never meant it to be.

So she kept quiet, preferring not knowing at this point in time. Foolish and weak she realized but it was what it was, especially since she didn't really believe in divorce. She'd much rather not know he truly did only want an agreement. She didn't think he did, she just wasn't ready to find out.

Overall the night was fun. Harry and Ginny rode with them to the reception so Ginny could experience riding in a muggle car. Ron spoke very little to Hermione and said nothing to Severus but was on good behaviour for the most part. No hexes or dirty looks happened. She considered that a win.

And he did dance more than just a few with her. She could tell he didn't really want to but knew she did. And that made her fall in love with him just a little bit more than she already was.



Sure enough there'd been more than one picture in the Daily Prophet of Hermione and Severus as well as Harry and Ginny, Neville and Luna, and Ron with his date. Thankfully none of them took away from Susan and Justin's wedding. She was an employee of the Ministry after all.

They were a little more than merely sidenotes, though, with quotes from their friends (even Ronald) saying that they were a private couple, they absolutely had not been involved romantically until well after Hermione left Hogwarts, and any information as to their being ready to rejoin the wizarding world would be carried by the Quibbler not the Daily Prophet.

Hermione told Severus they owed everyone quite a bit for those statements. Severus agreed without hesitation. There were times that it was good to be best friends with The Boy Who Lived. This was definitely one of them.

No one found them, though, so evidently Molly Weasley hadn't sold them out. Hermione was relieved. She knew Severus was, too. They were both busy over the summer and didn't want to deal with reporters or curious bystanders coming to see them. It helped, she supposed, they'd closed the store down a couple of times to take small excursions, over nights like they did for Susan and Justin's wedding. School would start for Hermione again and their ability to do that would be greatly reduced. Severus always gave notice before closing the store. He mentioned hiring someone part time so that she could focus her attention on her studies. He hadn't to this point, but she knew he'd think harder on it before next summer.

Hermione's favorite had been a long weekend in Paris.

They'd done the touristy things like visiting the Louvre, the Opera House, and the Père Lachaise Cemetery. Interestingly, the cemetery had probably been Severus' favorite. Bizet, Moliere, Wilde, various people associated with Napoleon (good and bad), but the most impressive to him seemed to be an American singer.

Her not knowing who Jim Morrison was led to an evening listening to not just The Doors but other sixties psychedelic rock bands like The Byrds, Yardbirds, Jefferson Airplane as well as more soul sounding artists like James Brown and The Temptations.

She'd been shocked to find out that Starship was a later incarnation of Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship. She had no idea and had heard "We Built This City" and "White Rabbit" more than a few times in her life.

She wasn't sure she would forget the excitement in his eyes at playing these bands for her for a very long time. It was probably the most animated she'd ever seen him. He was like a kid and she found it incredibly charming and humbling that he'd expose himself to her in that way. She suspected no one else had seen this side of him.

And if she was keeping tally on such things, she'd say that they'd had probably the best sex to date afterward. Not that sex between them was bad or unfulfilling. They'd spent so much time getting to know one another from a foreplay standpoint before actually getting to sex that she'd be insulted if it was bad because he certainly knew what pleased her. However, there was a rawness, an innocence, an almost childlike wonder in him that night that she'd accepted his sharing such a personal piece of him with her and didn't find him less.

Less what she wasn't sure. He had been raised a muggle until he went to Hogwarts so why he thought anyone would judge him or think less of anything about him because of his love for muggle music or art was beyond her.

The next school year started and little had changed as far as their involvement in the wizarding world or their existence being rather private. Harry was a frequent visitor, seeming to know they weren't going to step foot into the wizarding world more than they already had yet. Ginny came with him sometimes.

Today it was just Harry.

"No Severus?" Harry asked.

"He's downstairs."

"Avoiding me?"

"I don't think so. When school is in session he has to brew around when I can work the store. He prefers to get as much as he can done during the week so we have some free time to spend together on weekends."

"Oh," Harry said. "That's actually … nice."

"Well, yes. Were you expecting something else?"

"I don't know. I've never really seen him be nice," he shrugged, giving her a rather shy smile.

"He wasn't mean at Susan and Justin's wedding!"

"Well, no, put like that. Okay, considerate. It's actually considerate that he wants to spend time with you."

"Once the store is closed I'll go down and brew with him," she said with a shrug.

"Do you like that?" He shook his head then and laughed. "Of course you do!"

"Yes," she said simply.

"So," he said and Hermione didn't need to be a mind reader to know he wanted something. He was here for a reason today. He didn't usually come by unannounced these days.

"Yes?"

He cleared his throat. He was clearly nervous and she wondered what that was about. Had something happened? No, if that was the case, he'd just come out with it. "You know Ginny and I are getting married in April."

She laughed softly with a nod. "Yes, I'm aware. I'd have to be living under a rock not to be."

"Well, I wanted to know if you'd stand up for me."

She stared at him for a minute, certain she'd heard wrong.

"For you?"

He nodded, smiling widely as if he enjoyed the idea of getting one over on her. "Yeah. I know it's untraditional, but I'd feel like our marriage was getting off to the wrong start if you don't."

"I, um."

She wasn't even sure what to say. She'd assumed when Ginny hadn't asked her that she and Severus would just be guests. She was fine with that. A little hurt, but knew it was weird to have her away from their world. She also knew she hadn't been a very good friend to Ginny after the war. She knew Ginny understood, but she wasn't going to be mad at her friend for choosing someone else to be in her wedding.

"I've left you speechless?"

"Well, yeah, I just assumed," she shrugged.

"That we weren't going to ask you? No, actually we haven't really fought about much to do with the wedding, but who was going to ask you was something we actually almost ended our night not speaking over."

"Harry…"

"I'm serious, Hermione. You're family. I don't get someone to walk me down the aisle like Ginny does. I don't have my parents or Sirius. I have you. I want you standing next to me. Who else is going to fix my glasses for me?"

She laughed softly, feeling tears in her eyes at the memory. He didn't need anyone to fix his glasses anymore, obviously. It was nice of him to say so, though.

"If you're sure."

"Yes!"

"Of course I will, Harry, I'd be honoured to be your … best woman?"

"Well, second best, but yes."

"That means Severus is going to be sitting alone."

"Yeah, well, I assume Charlie or George will sit with him."

"I'm not sure that's going to sell him on the idea, Harry."

"I think he actually likes them. I mean at least somewhat."

"Do me a favour?"

"Okay."

"Let me talk to him about it tonight and I'll owl you if my answer changes."

"Why do you think it might?"

"My being Ginny's bridesmaid is a little less attention-grabbing than being your best woman, Harry. The Prophet…"

"Yeah, I know. I'll take care of it. I promise. I mean, your name will appear, obviously, but I am on it. I don't want them there either! It's my wedding day."

She sighed. She trusted Harry and knew he wouldn't want the attention anymore than she did. "Okay. I just don't want to take the focus away from your day. Susan and Justin's wedding was different. We were just guests and Severus wasn't expected to be there."

"I know."

"I trust you."

"By the way, Ron's dating someone."

"Oh? That's good, isn't it?"

"I think so. I just wanted you to know. I didn't want it to be a surprise and have that be turned into something sinister by anyone."

"Thank you. Is he serious enough that you think he'll still be dating her by April?"

"I was thinking about Christmas…"

"Oh, Harry, I don't know. At your house?"

"I can arrange for something to be at my house if that means you'll come."

"That I really have to talk to Severus about. Last year we did way more than either of us was expecting, which was fine. I'm just not sure he's up for a repeat."

"It'd just be the two of you otherwise, though."

"We're okay with that, Harry. Really. Last Christmas was almost too much. I'll talk to him about it and let you know. Maybe we could do something just the four of us or six of us if Ron's agreeable."

"I'll talk to him and find out."

"I think I might be able to get him to agree to that easier than another night at your home."

He grimaced. "It's not so … dark anymore."

"I imagine you've done a lot to prepare for Ginny to be living there."

"Yes! I'd love for you to see it now. I think Sirius would be proud."

"I'm sure he's very proud, Harry, of everything you've done."

They stood from the table they were sitting at then and hugged before she walked him to the door.

"Take care, Harry, and thank you. I'm very flattered."

"You're family. There's really no other option for me."

"Let me know what Ron says."

"Will do. Good luck with school."

"Thanks."

He left then and Hermione returned to the bookkeeping she'd been doing when he showed up. Fortunately, Severus was as detailed as she was so it wasn't difficult to pick up from where he'd left off. She had an order to place, too. There were times she wondered how Severus kept this store and did his brewing before she'd come along. Then she supposed he hadn't had anyone or anything to take him away from working.

Working himself to an early grave.

She knew, too, that after nearly twenty years of working as a spy, a professor, and potions master that he probably didn't know what to do with any amount of what he'd view as excess time on his hands.

And anyone who said he wasn't spying during the years Voldemort was inactive didn't know the man or what exactly Albus Dumbledore had expected from him. Contacts had to be kept, an image had to be presented and maintained, and pureblood students had to be treated preferentially. If he'd taken one wrong step between 1981 and 1995 then the outcome of the war would have been very different.

And he'd have been killed, likely in 1995. Possibly, Dumbledore could have found someone else to spy, but it was doubtful they would have been able to accomplish what Severus had.

Life would have been very different for everyone without Severus Snape.

It still mystified her why he'd made the offer he had to her. She didn't understand it, but she'd stopped trying to figure it out or she'd drive herself crazy. And wonder if they'd ever truly be happily in love. She'd like to think so. He deserved that as much as she did.

She closed up the store when it was time, extinguished the lights, and made her way downstairs to his lab.

"Hi," she said after she'd watched him for a few minutes from the doorway. He knew she was there. He had wards on the lab to alert him to interlopers. Huginn didn't look like much, but he would protect his owner's property.

"Harry has left already?"

"Yeah, he wants me to be in the wedding."

He glanced at her then, curiously. Clearly he was not understanding why that surprised her.

"You expected that, no?"

"As his best woman."

"Oh," he said, brow furrowing as he let that sink in. "And you said?"

"Well, I said yes but that I'd talk it over with you, too. I mean, that will likely draw way more attention than if I'd just been one of Ginny's bridesmaids."

"You and I both know it was matron of honour, or well, the route Harry's gone. Did he have reasoning?"

"He said he doesn't get someone to walk him down the aisle and he wants his family next to him."

"What's there to discuss, Hermione? He's the groom, it's his day…"

"Well, it'd mean you'd sit alone. He thought Charlie or George might sit with you."

He nodded after a moment, as if thinking over that statement. "They are tolerable," he said.

She snorted softly. "He thought you might not be too troubled by them."

"I don't need people assigned to me as if I'm hopeless. I can sit alone and be just fine with that."

"I think he doesn't want you to have to, Severus. I think it's important to him that you not feel like you're there by yourself. That you're more than just my plus one."

"Noted."

She watched him as he portioned out this, mixed that, and poured things into vials. She didn't know what he was working on today. She loved watching him work, his hands were really lovely to watch. When he used them on her particularly.

"What else is on your mind, Witch?"

"Nothing."

"The blush on your cheeks says otherwise."

"I was thinking of your hands on me," she said.

She wasn't used to speaking so boldly. She hoped they'd get there sometime, but it was still new to them to where talking about their sex life away from the actual act wasn't done often. He was by far better at it than she was.

"And this makes you blush?"

"When I think of your hands on me while your fingers are inside of me, yes, it does."

"I see," he said, his voice deepening a bit in a tone she knew went hand in hand with arousal.

"I'll let you finish…"

"Hermione," he said.

"Yes."

"Give me twenty minutes and you can have my hands and fingers, or any other part of me, wherever you wish."

"But we haven't even had dinner."

"Mm, we are adults last I checked and can eat dinner whenever we wish to. We can even eat it in bed if we so choose. If my wife is thinking about carnal things this early in the evening I would be a fool not to ensure those thoughts come true."

"Do you need help? The sooner you get done…"

He peered at her over his cauldrons and equipment set out for the potions he was working on.

"That time again?" he queried.

"I don't think so."

Now that she was eating consistently and food that was not just nourishing but filling, her hormones seemed to be a little more under control when it came to feeling like this at different points in her body's cycle. When they'd first started exploring she'd been turned on all day, every day it seemed. That hadn't necessarily changed, but she wasn't quite as needy. Maybe it wasn't her body and was just the fact she had an outlet for those moods now. Every month though within a day or two of her period starting she was insatiable. That wasn't the case today.

"Well, by all means then, Wife, come assist."

She crossed to the table he was working at then and waited for his direction as far as what he'd want her help with.

His hand fell to her hip as he brushed her hair away from her neck with his cheek to kiss it.

"Is now too soon?"

His voice was a warm caress against her neck before he closed his lips over a spot. She groaned softly as she felt him suck and lick at the skin there.

"Your potion…"

His hand at her hip was pulling her skirt up slowly. Too slowly and she cried out when she finally felt his skin against her thigh before he reached to cup her bum and slide his hand down between her legs. She wore stockings, but ones that stopped at her thigh. He liked those a lot. Today was no different it seemed.

"Mm, a skirt and the stockings I like. Was that with this in mind?"

"Not consciously."

"Mm, subconsciously then perhaps. Your mind is a wondrous thing."

He kissed her neck then and she gasped as he cupped her mons with his palm.

She gripped the table in front of her with both hands as he slid one and then a second finger inside of her, shifting against him to adjust. She went to the balls of her feet to get the right position. His thumb found her spot and she cried out, biting her lower lip to stop from being too loud.

"No, don't," he murmured against her ear. "Cry out, Hermione. Let me hear you come undone around my fingers. I know how much you like having them in you. I know they're not my cock, but you always seem to find them a more than suitable substitute in moments like this."

She whimpered as she pressed herself against him, taking his fingers deeper inside of her as the pad of his thumb hit her nub just right. She wasn't sure what came out of her mouth but it was something along the lines of praising Merlin such talented fingers were hers. He chuckled against her ear, whispering how wet and warm she was around his fingers as he worked to bring her higher and higher toward that point she wanted to be.

"Fuck, Severus," she said when his thumb got just the right movement and pressure to bring her off.

"I will do that later. I promise," he whispered, kissing her cheek once he was obviously assured she'd finished. He brushed her ear with his nose before kissing her there. "Okay now?"

"Uh huh," she murmured. She pressed back against him and he hissed.

"I want you, too, Love, you know I do. Give me twenty minutes, Hermione, and you can have your wicked way with me the rest of the night."

"Promise?" she asked and he chuckled.

He drew his hand away and she watched over her shoulder as he licked each finger. He smirked, knowing very much that she got aroused just watching him do that. She didn't think he realized why she liked it, but the reason didn't matter. It got her hot and he liked making her that way. So, win-win for both of them.

"Want me to pinky swear, too?"

She scoffed. "I could have waited…"

"I did not want you to wait."

"But you didn't…"

"I didn't need to in order to obtain pleasure, Love. Hearing and feeling you come undone brings me immense pleasure."

"I could still help?"

"You could help by taking yourself upstairs and getting into our bed."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," he said.

"I didn't cause you to ruin the potion, did I?"

"No, this one is not as dependent upon the temperature when transferring it to the vials as some are."

"Good," she said, sighing softly as he drew completely away from her and adjusted her skirt back into its rightful place.

"I like when you wear skirts," he said, caressing her bum through the skirt.

"Me, too," she said and he chuckled softly. She knew that he did. She did, too, for exactly this reason. "I'll see you upstairs then."

"Indeed you shall, Wife. Oh, and Hermione?"

"Yes," she said, pausing in the doorway.

"That would have been worth a ruined potion."

She knew she was blushing again, which caused him to laugh, not just chuckle. She left then, taking herself upstairs to wait for him.

Return to Top


***Chapter Eight***
September 2001

"My," Severus said when he came into their flat upstairs after his day and saw the table full of his favorites. "Should I be suspicious?"

"Well, no, I would like to talk to you, though."

"Okay," he said cautiously.

He'd had a very long, but also incredibly profitable day. He had a new client that had the potential to be huge, but they were testing him. They clearly didn't know who they were dealing with. He pinched the bridge of his nose as he sat at the table, exhausted. He'd only slept a couple of hours last night.

Was this it then?

He sighed heavily at the thought, but he couldn't imagine what else she'd have to talk to him about other than for whatever reason ending their marriage. She had to know by now he hadn't meant the heir business.

How ironic, too, since he'd arranged to surprise her with a trip away next weekend for her birthday and their anniversary. The dates of both fell during the week, but with school in session weekends were what he had to work with if he wanted to do that for her.

"I was thinking that next weekend while we're away."

"I'm sorry?" Had she just said that?

She rolled her eyes so evidently she had. "Really? You didn't think I'd notice a reservation confirmation?"

"I really need to get a personal email account," he muttered.

"Yes, well," she said. "May I finish?"

If she was talking about next weekend this had to be something other than what he'd assumed it was about. His heart felt a little lighter with that realization. He just assumed …

Well, Severus Snape wasn't allowed to have nice things. That meant he could only assume this that he had currently would end at some point. It had to. Sooner or later she would come to her senses and realize she could do better.

"Pray tell, Wife, please."

"I was thinking we should try."

"Try?"

She blushed profusely and he wondered what he was missing.

"For a baby," she said with another roll of her eyes.

"I'm sorry. What?" he asked.

"Well, if we wait until I'm done with school completely, that could be like six years from now depending on how far I go."

"Okay."

"I just thought that you wouldn't want to wait that long," she shrugged.

"Have I given you the impression that I'm on some sort of a timetable?"

"Well, no, but your offer didn't take into consideration advanced studies that psychology requires and I presumed," she shrugged. "I don't know. That you don't want to wait ten years for at least the potential for an heir. We both know realistically I'm not going to be able to start a practice as I hope to do and then be able to take time off to have a baby immediately."

He was stunned and knew he was staring at her. So, she did want out of the marriage? If she gave him an heir she will have fulfilled her part of their agreement.

"So, I was thinking if we tried as I've done the diagnostics and believe next weekend would be optimal. Well, then the baby would be born in June or so during my summer break. That would be convenient timing, don't you think?"

"Are we having a boy then?"

"Well, I wouldn't know."

"You're hoping for one, though?"

She frowned at him. "I'm not sure what you're asking me. I mean, there's a fifty-fifty chance."

"If we have a boy, though, that frees you up then…"

"To do what?"

He scoffed. She was deliberately being obtuse. She had to be.

"Go on about your life."

"I, well, no. I mean. I suppose. I'm really just trying to think of the timing. I've looked at my cycles the past few months because I've been keeping track for a while now and I should be ovulating next weekend."

He scoffed again.

"I'm not sure why you're doing that. Isn't that what you want? I mean, I don't particularly relish being thirty and a new mum."

"And my being closer to fifty would be embarrassing. Am I too old? Is that what you're implying?"

"No!"

She stood from the table then and walked to the stove. She turned to face him, crossing her arms over her chest. She did not look … pleased to say the least. Well, good, if she thought he was going to make it easy for her to leave him now she was sorely mistaken. Truthfully, he wasn't sure he would have made it easy for her two years ago.

"Severus, I don't know why this is turning into some sort of quarrel. I think it would be a good time to try for a baby. Is that not what you want?"

"No," he said simply.

She frowned then. "But you…" And then her face fell. "I don't understand. Have I done something wrong?"

"No," he said.

He watched as she twisted her ring. She did that when she was nervous he knew. She looked at him, tears in her eyes. "I don't understand."

"I was never going to hold you to the heir stipulation, Hermione."

"You weren't?"

"No," he said with a shrug. "Of course not. I'm not a monster. If that had been my intent we certainly wouldn't have waited months to consummate our marriage. I threw it in there, certain that you'd say no."

"Why?"

He scowled. Wasn't that obvious? "Because I couldn't imagine that you'd wish to create a child with me."

"But I agreed."

"You did."

"So you don't want a child?"

"At that time? No. I do now, yes, but not because of an agreement made two years ago that you think you have an obligation to adhere to."

"I'm not, Severus. I've had two years to think about it. A child I mean. I want to."

"I planted the seed, though. You're twenty-two, certainly not old. You should be thinking about finishing school and not fitting a baby into that. You did enough carrying Potter and Weasley for six years. Take some time for yourself before bringing a baby into the world."

"But … I don't understand. Was this a game to you?"

"Quite the contrary," he said. "Your future is not a game."

She had no idea. He wanted nothing more than to take full advantage of her research and knowing when she would be most likely to conceive. He had no desire to have a child two years ago when he'd made the offer. He assumed she'd say no! He certainly did now. With her. Under the right conditions. He couldn't say that, though. She deserved so much better than that. His goal was to help her achieve her dream.

She deserved a career, to make a name for herself by doing something so very necessary in the wizarding world. He'd seen it as a professor. Students and staff alike over the past twenty years who did not recover from the war, the first one as he had no experience with students after the second one. People who could not admit that fact to anyone for fear of being ridiculed or losing their job.

She left the kitchen then. He heard the soft click indicating the door to the bedroom was shut. He wasn't sure which was worse, the slam he'd expected or this. It opened a bit later and he assumed she'd join him.

"I want to have a baby, Severus, because that's what you do when you love someone. Have a family so that the love continues on. At least that's what I thought. Yes, I assumed you wanted one because of the agreement we entered into when this started. That agreement is not why I want one now and didn't enter my mind when I realized the trip you'd planned could possibly end up being very memorable for us both. Being Mum to your child is what was on my mind. I'm sorry that I disappointed you somehow, but you didn't tell me that you had changed your mind."

She left the flat then and he heard the soft pop of apparition before he could even react to what she'd said.

He stood about thirty minutes later when she had not returned, walking to the bedroom out of morbid curiosity as to where she might have gone off to. He sucked in a breath when he saw that while none of her belongings were gone (a sign she would return, yes?), in the spot next to where her hairbrush was she had placed her ring.

He raked his fingers through his hair and exhaled sharply.

He picked the ring up and slid it over his pinky finger, feeling the soft thrum of magic that he assumed only he could feel given he was the blood relation to its heritage.

He'd never lived with someone before. Hogwarts as a student was the last time and that certainly wasn't the same as this. Those were dorm mates. This was sharing space. Sharing life. Sharing a bed.

He wondered when it was that she'd turned this room into theirs not hers. He had no idea. The walls were a different color than they'd been two years ago. There was a muggle picture of them on her dresser taken the day of their wedding.  One, too, someone had taken at the Potter wedding they'd been at in April. There were a few more from their trip to Paris last summer.

God that had been an incredible trip.

Yes, the museum and Opera House were magnificent buildings, housing works of art that were impressive and historically significant. She'd willingly walked through a cemetery with him, though, for hours. And then when they'd come home she'd sat with him for an additional day while he introduced her to the music that had very much been an influence on him. He'd never shared a piece of himself like that with anyone before and he doubted very highly he would again.

"Damn it, Severus Snape," she said from behind him so suddenly that for the first time in over two decades he was truly surprised. "Do you really think that I would suggest a child merely because of some sort of an agreement that we entered into two years ago?"

He turned to face her, wondering for a moment if he hadn't fallen asleep and wasn't dreaming. Surely she wouldn't have come back this soon. He expected to have to … do something to get her to come back to him. Grovel or something.

And he would get her to come back. He wasn't sure he would know what to do without her anymore.

He had no idea when that had become fact, but it was. This witch was very firmly cemented in his life.

"You said when I was done with school. If I was doing it for you, for that, I'd nurse that for all it was worth and make you wait until I was done with school and had my practice firmly set up and established. And then I'd come up with some excuse about how I can't do it now because my patients count on me and we've managed this long without one, what's another year or two."

She was right, of course. He knew that. If she truly did not want to she would have milked him allowing her to finish her education for all that it was worth.

"I know," he said softly. "I," he sighed.

It was his turn to fiddle nervously with her ring currently on his finger. Did he admit the truth? Did he bare himself to her in such a fashion? He wasn't good at doing so and wasn't sure how it would come out.

Or how she would react to it.

"I assumed you were telling me that you wanted to end this. Us."

She stared at him for a moment, long enough that he wondered if he'd actually spoken or that had just been in his head. Either was possible right now.

"Why?"

He shrugged. How to explain it?

"Why else would you have made everything I like?"

"Because I wanted to treat you? Do something kind for you? I knew you were having a busy day so I thought I'd save you the time and effort."

"Yes, well, no one's ever done that before. So I assumed you were setting me up."

"I have cooked your favorites before. I realize not often because you seem to like cooking so I let you. I should think about divorcing you for your asinine thought process. That I had any thought other than being nice to you. That I could think of having a child with you out of some sense of obligation. Do you think I'd willingly share my bed, forget my bed, Severus. Do you really think that I would share my body with you if I didn't love you, Severus?"

No, no he didn't. He didn't even have to think about it. She wouldn't.

"Where did you go?"

"I apparated to a park near my parents' house where I used to play when I was little. I thought it would bring me comfort, being near my home. I realized that you are who I wanted to talk to about my bad day. Not Harry. Not Ginny. You. You are home to me now, Severus."

"As you are to me," he said. He slid her ring from his finger. "This ring wouldn't accept you - us I suppose - if I didn't love you, Hermione," he said softly.

"I'm sorry?"

"I lied when I told you I couldn't find it the day we married. I knew exactly where it was. It won't go on someone's finger without love involved. I don't know how it works. It's a Prince heirloom and as I mentioned when we married one of the few things Mum had. It would not have allowed me to put it on your finger if my reasons for doing so were not true to my heart. And yours. It's very old magic. It's why I waited to give it to you. I felt it thrum in the palm of my hand one day and I knew. Prior to that it was just a piece of metal," he shrugged.

That also meant that at one point his parents had loved one another.

That had been a difficult pill to swallow until he'd felt the magic of it pulsating at him in the palm of his hand. He wasn't even sure why he'd thought to try the day he did. He knew how he felt by that point but was not certain about his wife.

Hope?

The idea that maybe he wasn't as bad at … this as he thought he was and she had, in fact, developed feelings for him. He certainly had no idea how to go about getting a witch to love him. Clearly. He wasn't entirely sure what he'd done to get it from her, truthfully.

"So you've known that I love you for almost two years?"

"It would seem so," he said.

He hadn't quite thought about it that way. Stupid, he realized now, but he just hadn't. She hadn't exactly shouted her feelings for him from the battlements. He called her Love, she didn't have a pet name for him. Not that he minded, he didn't want to be honey or sweetheart.

The look in her eye told him this wasn't over yet. Her hands at her hips and her hair moving ever so slightly of its own accord told him she was getting angry again.

"So why did you think then that I was only suggesting a child as part of our agreement?"

"A moment of stupidity. Loving me doesn't mean you wish to have my child and you hadn't said you love me. I could only assume that while you did you either didn't want to admit it or, more obviously, didn't want to have such feelings for me."

"And yet every time we've made love, Severus, the chance of a child coming out of that exists."

"We have used the potion…"

"And potions never fail?"

"Not mine."

"I'm glad you have that confidence in it. I do as well, but you know as well as I do it is not one hundred percent. There's always a chance."

Well, put like that…

"I don't want to wait five or six more years, Severus. If we decide for a second one, that would be a good time for that."

"My opinion about what your focus should be is not wrong, Hermione."

"I managed to study for my NEWTs while hiding in a tent, caring for two teenaged boys who couldn't manage to do most anything for themselves, and hunting horcruxes. Something tells me with the help of my husband, the baby's father, that I can handle a baby and school."

He stepped toward her then, taking her hand. He watched her face as he slid the ring back onto her finger, its rightful place.

"I love you, too," he whispered. "I apologize for forgetting for a moment that this ring knows our hearts even if we do not."

"So if we stop loving one another…"

"I can't recall the last time I saw my mum wearing this ring. It was before primary school. I do not know for certain as she never said, but have to assume it could not be worn."

"Hmm," she said.

He smirked at that. "Don't like that idea?"

"No, that just means we have to endeavour not to fall out of love with one another."

"That is a tall order to fill, Madam Snape. I will strive to ensure from my end anyway that doesn't happen. There's still a meal to eat in the kitchen. Will you join me? I want to hear about this plan of yours for next weekend. Will there be varying positions involved to ensure the best chances of conception?"

She blushed profusely and he chuckled. That meant there probably were going to be. He had no complaints on that even if a child didn't result from their efforts.

"There could be," she said.

"You mean you don't know?"

"I only know that by my calculations it would be the optimal time to try."

"I see. Perhaps we could take the next week and research the topic … thoroughly."

"You want me to look for books on positions?"

"No, Madam Snape, I want to spend the next week thoroughly investigating which are most pleasing to my wife. I can't help but think the more she's pleased the better the chance of conceiving."

"Or at least more fun while trying."

"Are you suggesting it's not fun otherwise?"

"Well, you know, it can be such a chore catering to your hefty demands."

He scoffed. He wasn't sure there'd been a time since their relationship had turned physical that he'd had to initiate or if he did initiate that he thought his desire for her would not be received enthusiastically by her.

"Do we have to eat dinner now, Severus?" she asked.

"I think it would be wise if we do, Hermione. I do not want you to regret sharing yourself with me in that way later."

"I won't!"

"Within the past hour you removed your ring and left. You didn't take any belongings so I had to believe you'd return, but I knew even before we embarked on the physical aspect of our marriage that you would keep to your word on fidelity."

"I didn't take off the ring to cheat, Severus! You were being insufferable and hurtful and I knew of no other way to tell you that's how you were making me feel."

"Do you still feel that way?" he asked.

"No," she said. "But, Severus, you have to know I would never do anything, least of all bring a child into the world, if I didn't want to."

"Why did you marry me then thinking that I would hold you to that?"

She shook her head. He didn't understand the look in her eyes just now. Was his question unreasonable? He didn't think so. "If it was anyone but you I'd assume you were fishing for compliments. You dolt, I wanted to have a child. With you."

"Even then?"

"Of course even then! I wouldn't have married you if the idea of being intimate with you was abhorrent. I realize there are people who have those types of marriages. You've come too far, as have I, to have that type. You said when I was done with my schooling, so I figured we had plenty of time to get to the point where it wasn't an obligation or a chore to either of us. I guess it was going to Harry's wedding that had me thinking…"

"Why? Are they trying?" He was not going to embark on trying to be a father because she thought she and Harry had to have children at the same time as if it was a competition.

"I don't know! That's not why. I mean, of course, I'd love for our children to go to Hogwarts with children they'll know, but no it's not a contest. I was thinking that day, though, that as it was closing in on the end of my second year that I have another year here plus three more years as well as any clinical work I need to do first. I imagine St. Mungo's would require me to do something as well."

"I would suspect so." It wasn't unreasonable to expect that, especially considering what she was wanting to bring to their world was new. No one would just allow her to start a practice that boasted to be medical in nature without some screening.

"So, it got me thinking if we had one, timed it around my school year as much as one can time such things that would be reasonable."

"So you started keeping track of your cycles more than you already do?"

"Yes. I ran diagnostics at various times during the months since then and logged them."

"I see."

"And based on what my body is telling me next weekend should be a perfectly compatible time. Would you like to see?"

He chuckled softly. "Your notes? Or your body? I don't need to see your notes and you know the answer to the second."

"You're the one insisting we have to eat."

"You went through the effort of cooking a meal for me. I want to enjoy it, and give you time to ensure you are no longer mad."

"I wasn't mad. I was hurt. There is a difference."

"Will you eat with me, Hermione?"

"Yes," she said, and he kissed her then.

"My plans for next weekend are changing it seems," he murmured.

"How so?"

"Well, I wasn't counting on your request so I'd assumed we'd have time to do things."

"And we still will. We can't have sex twenty-four hours a day."

"Pity," he said with an agreeable nod. "I will still look at our options and temper down my enthusiasm for activities. Your offer is much more tempting."

"You say that now…"

"I did not want you thinking you owed me something."

"I promise, Severus, never to do something because I feel I owe you. I mean, something life altering like a child or a career. I do think you are owed a great deal so things like your favorite meal are my attempt at doing something to show you that you do mean something to me."

"Let's go eat then and you can tell me more about your plan to conceive."

"You think I have a plan?"

"Hermione. I know you. I have no doubt that you have ideas on positions that supposedly enhance the chance for a boy."

"You behind me," she said.

"Really?"

"Among others, but yes," she said. "Not that I believe in such things. I've read that not having an orgasm can enhance the chances for a girl. Me, not you obviously. There would be little chance of conception if you didn't. I don't particularly like that option so you may just be stuck with boys."

"I'm not so sure I like that option either, but you did mention wanting a girl."

"Are you planning on my not having an orgasm for an entire weekend, Severus?"

He chuckled as they both worked at warming the food so it wouldn't be tasteless and cold. They both knew she'd be hard pressed not to orgasm for three full days. It might be kind of fun to try, though. Well, for him anyway.

"Are we trying for the girl first?" he asked.

"Well, my parents would certainly argue the point in my favor, but a girl isn't technically an heir so…"

"Mm, I see prolonging our arrangement, Madam Snape?"

"Mm hmm. Does forever sound acceptable?"

"Quite."

They were quiet for a moment as they got plates and other things necessary to eat. She wasn't leaving. She loved him. She wanted a child with him. Her thought for timing was a sound one.

"And I apologize I overreacted," he said softly.

She inhaled sharply, clearly not expecting that. He didn't apologize frequently. To anyone. For anything. This, though, she deserved an apology for.

"We both did. I apologize, too."

He nodded then, breathing a sigh of relief that whatever this was that just passed between them ended in a positive way. He truly wasn't sure what he'd do without her anymore.

Return to Top


***Chapter Nine***
February 2002

Harry stepped out of the fireplace and smiled at the headmistress. She probably wondered what he was smiling at because she would know he wasn't thrilled at being thought of for this task. He'd said yes, realizing she must have been desperate. And then his job as an auror interfered.

Thus the smile. He was relieved to get out of it, admittedly.

He wished he could stay for the aftermath of what he was about to drop on her, but he couldn't.

Not today.

He would be heading back to the Ministry as soon as he finished here. Then he and a team were off to some little town in Poland he'd never heard of, nor could he pronounce, to work with their local authorities about a rumoured nest of wannabe Voldemort followers who were escalating in their violence.

In Poland!

It never ended!

They hadn't even finished rounding up all of Voldemort's actual followers. Now they had groups who seemed to think the wizard had some good ideas.

He had to admit, dealing with the situation in Poland was preferable to being here, though.

"Hello Harry," she said from her spot behind her desk.

She offered him a kind smile, one that represented love and home. One that very few ever saw because she didn't want to appear biased. Gone were the days, though, that she had to pretend she didn't care about him.

"Minerva," he said with a polite bow of his head.

It had taken him about six months to feel comfortable calling this woman, his former head of house and the current headmistress of Hogwarts, by her first name. Eventually, though, it became second nature to the point he could no longer recall why he didn't think it was appropriate when she'd asked him to.

"I thank you for your willingness to step in on such short notice. I'm afraid Professor Robillard had a terrible fall and is in the infirmary for at least the next day or two."

"No problem at all. Except that I can't."

She pulled her glasses off, regarding him shrewdly. She was clearly confused. His smile widened a bit as her lips tightened, an indication she was trying to compile her thoughts.

"I'm sorry, but you're here. What do you mean you can't? Why are you here then? And if you can't, how am I supposed to find an appropriate substitute if you waited until the time you were to be here to tell me that you could not?"

"I am here to introduce you to the replacement I found. I know you wouldn't have asked me if it wasn't pretty crucial. I mean if you're asking me to fill in as a teacher then you have to be desperate. I'm not teacher material, we both know this. I'm always happy to do a demonstration or to be a part of a lesson. I've told you as much. To teach a day's worth of classes, though? And as it so happens I'm, unfortunately, embarking on a rather pressing assignment that I can't delay leaving for any longer than I already have this morning."

She shook her head and gave a soft sigh. She wasn't pleased. She'd get over it, though, pretty quick Harry imagined. "Harry. I don't want a replacement."

"You haven't even met them, Minerva."

Her lips thinned rather severely and her eyes narrowed. She was not at all pleased, but she didn't put up more of an argument. He took a deep breath, knowing he was giving her a cheeky grin before he turned to face the fireplace. He spoke into it after ensuring the other party was there.

"Hi. She's right here. You can come through now," he said and then stepped away from the fireplace to allow his chosen replacement to do just that.

He stood against the wall, arms crossed over his chest, and watched Minerva's face as recognition set in once Hermione stepped out of the fireplace. She looked positively elated, giddy with excitement. If Minerva McGonagall ever displayed such emotion, which most would say she did not. It was her eyes, though. He knew how to read them well enough after all of these years.

She was thinking this was better than Christmas or catnip, depending on which form was expressing their excitement at seeing her prized pupil standing in her office after almost four years away.

"Miss Granger?" Minerva said, clearly having regained her composure. That he'd surprised Minerva McGonagall was something he could be proud of.

"Well, technically that's not accurate. It's Madam Snape now, which I know that you are aware of, but please call me Hermione. And hello."

"Of course, my apologies, and Minerva, my dear. What are you doing here?"

"I'm Harry's replacement," she said.

"You don't even know what lessons …"

Harry scoffed at that. The very idea that the headmistress would think he'd be better prepared than this witch to do anything in a classroom.

"Really, Minerva, you're going to use that with Hermione but think I'd be any better prepared to teach on a moment's notice? You asked me via floo at dinnertime yesterday. This issue came up very suddenly, like two hours ago suddenly. So I called in a favor."

"Valid point," she said with an audible sigh.

Astute eyes were taking them both in.

Harry could tell the headmistress really was positively giddy at this turn of events, though even after a few minutes of realizing Hermione was truly here she showed none of that. She wanted Hermione back. She'd told Harry that many times, probably thinking that he had any influence over Hermione's decision to return.

Minerva truly missed Hermione. It had bothered many when they were students, but that was no longer the case. Current students, though, who still heard things like ‘Hermione Granger would have …'. Well, they didn't like that so well. Or so the rumours went. Harry didn't know that first hand. Everyone knew that she missed her favorite student, though.

"Harry has told me several times that you are truly all right, Dear, and I know that I saw you at his wedding last spring. I never imagined you'd be here in this castle again the more time went by."

"I really didn't either," she said, looking at the portraits on the wall and noting the changes she'd made to the office if Harry knew anything about his best friend. And he did know her. Even if they didn't see one another or talk every day did not mean that he didn't know her any more.

"Are we all right then? You're no longer questioning my choice in replacements," Harry asked. "I really do have to get back."

"Yes, of course, your replacement is more than sufficient," Minerva said. "Thank you, Harry. Come visit when you're through with whatever is taking you away and be safe."

"I will and you're welcome, Minerva. If you need anything, Hermione, just let me know."

"I will be fine," she said after a moment's pause.

He wasn't talking about teaching the class. She knew that, too. He just wanted her to know he was an owl away if she needed anything after being back here when she hadn't really been expecting to come back. Then, he hadn't really had to force her into agreeing to come today. The idea had come to him when he'd been told about this trip.

Harry knew it wasn't easy for her to come today, but Harry thought this was a perfect way to dip a toe back into the magical world - and Hogwarts truthfully - without jumping into the deep end doing a cannonball.

She only had one year left at university. He knew she had some post-graduate work to do, but if she wanted to start a practice in the wizarding world that catered to behavioral health she had to be present.

She had to be seen.

She had to prove that respect she'd earned by fellow students and professors alike when she was a student had been warranted and was still valid today. She couldn't expect people to show up five years from now after not seeing or hearing from her in almost a decade.

He was surprised she'd agreed, honestly. He expected to plant the seed. She'd know he was right. Evidently, she knew it really was a good idea.

He wondered how surprised Severus was that Harry Potter came up with a good idea. They got along better, certainly, but he had no doubt that Severus still thought he was that clueless eleven year old wizard who couldn't function without Hermione Granger.

"I'll walk with you to the classroom, of course, but unless my eyes deceive me you have some exciting changes coming up," Harry heard Minerva say as he stepped toward the fireplace. He knew they'd be fine. He knew Hermione would be quite excited at the prospect of teaching. Did she tell Severus she was excited, he wondered? What did her husband think about her coming here?

"I'd rather not talk about my personal life here, Minerva," Hermione said and Harry knew she was most likely looking at Dumbledore's portrait as she made the statement. His friend was not going to be throwing a posthumous parade for the wizard anytime soon he knew.

With that thought, he stepped into the fireplace and called out his destination in the Ministry and disappeared.



Hermione eyed the portrait behind Minerva's desk. She saw the twinkle and look of interest in the former headmaster's eyes and scowled. He saw it, too. She only knew that because the twinkle diminished just a touch.

"My, Madam Snape, he has taught you very well," the former headmaster said. "It's good to see you nonetheless and I wish you both congratulations. I hope one day you will convey my excitement to him."

"I'd be happy to talk to you on the way to the classroom," Hermione offered, ignoring the former headmaster for the most part.

"Of course. Albus, behave or she won't return."

"She'll return, Minerva."

"I'd like it to not be another four years from now!"

The twinkle left his eyes completely with that admonishment by Minerva and he shook his head. "Very well. Excuse me then, ladies. I'm sure there's something going on at the Ministry I can observe."

"I still don't feel comfortable."

"I understand. He's pouting," she shrugged. She grabbed a cane that Hermione hadn't seen until now and approached Hermione. "Well, Dear. Let's walk and talk, shall we?"

"Oh, Headmistress, if you shouldn't be…"

"I'm fine. Just ever since that stunner I have moments."

"I didn't realize," she said. She felt terrible about that, too. She honestly hadn't given things like that much thought. Minerva was alive and well, that was all she needed to know. She felt rather stupid and selfish.

"Nothing to concern yourself with, Dear. Poppy and the healers at St. Mungo's all say I'm fit as a fiddle otherwise."

"Okay," she said as they stepped out on the staircase and into the hall that would lead her to a classroom.

The classroom.

She hoped that was true. Despite her absence, she truly cared for Minerva. Seeing her at Harry's wedding had been a huge reminder of how much this witch meant to her. Was she using a cane then? Hermione hadn't noticed it if she was.

Merlin, that was awful.

"And, yes," she said finally, setting her hand over her abdomen. "A little over halfway along."

"Do you know what you're having yet?"

Hermione knew she was blushing profusely and Minerva glanced at her questioningly.

"It's, um, a girl," she said softly, biting her lower lip.

She had no idea if the three days her husband deprived her of release had anything to do with it, but he seemed to think it was a point toward that being a truth. She assumed it was just the luck of the draw and told him now that they had their girl if he did that again she'd give him a piece of her mind.

"I see," Minerva said, smiling with a bit of a blush herself. "I'm guessing there's a story behind you blushing as you are, but I won't ask you to tell. Severus wouldn't like us talking about him."

"No," she said. "Certainly not about that."

Minerva laughed then and stopped walking.

"Are you okay, Headmistress?" Hermione asked.

"Minerva, and I'm fine, Dear. I just realized that I hadn't hugged you yet."

"Oh!" Hermione said, not having thought of that either.

She stepped into her former head of house's open arms then and hugged her just as tightly as Minerva was hugging her. She breathed in the familiar smells that were not just Minerva McGonagall but Hogwarts.

She really had missed it here. She knew Harry expected her to say no when he'd visited her last night. She wanted to say no. In fact, she did at first, but Harry hadn't said a word. He'd let her think and puzzle out her feelings on coming back here without his influence. Once he knew she was contemplating it is when he'd mentioned the benefits of showing up now for any possible future endeavours of hers.

In other words, if she truly wanted to be successful, the wizarding world to accept psychology and mental health being just as important as physical health she'd have to be seen. He was right.

"I have missed you so, my dear witch."

"Me, too," she said. She sniffled then. "Oh, goodness, I swore I wouldn't cry!"

"Well, some things are just a way of life, Dear. Now," she said. "May I?" she asked, gesturing to her abdomen.

"Of course," Hermione said. Minerva set her hand over her abdomen through her robes and gave a soft tsk. It was her turn to get tears in her eyes.

"Severus is having a baby. I never thought I'd see the day."

"Well, I'm the one having it, but yes."

Minerva gave a low chuckle.

"Of course. When are you due?"

"Um, the end of June."

"And Ginny?"

"The end of August I think?"

"So you and Harry will have children coming here together?"

"So it would seem. Unless I suppose their son is stubborn and waits until after September first. If you're asking if Severus will refuse to send her here, no."

"Excellent," Minerva said, tapping the end of her cane against the stone floor as emphasis. That was exactly what she'd been asking then. "Hogwarts won't know what hit them with a Potter and a Snape entering its walls together. And as friends."

Hermione hadn't thought of it that way. It was an interesting twist.

They made their way to the classroom and she giggled slightly at the sight of the door. She never in a million years imagined she'd be here, about to teach this class. She'd think she was dreaming except Severus had sent her off to school today after a most satisfying wakeup call. She'd never dream that!

"Who is my first class?"

"Mm, second year Gryffindor / Slytherin I believe."

Of course it was. How appropriate.

"Okay," she said.

"Do you want me to go in with you?"

"I think I've got it from here, Minerva. I was told not to let them see I'm hesitant. If you come in with me that would display that I think."

"Have you been assisting him?"

"Yes."

"For four years?"

"Give or take," she answered evasively.

"Then they are in very capable hands," Minerva said.

She placed a hand on Hermione's shoulder and squeezed.

"In case I forget to say it later, I am very happy for you both. I know a moment ago I mentioned Severus having a baby. I've known him since he was eleven, you know, so my first thought today was of him. His last year, that I didn't believe in him. At first when I heard, I won't lie, I wanted to hex off his bollocks."

"Oh, Minerva, please don't do that. I like them exactly where and how they are."

Minerva chuckled.

"Yes, well, clearly I didn't follow through with that idea. The more I thought on it, the more I found it made a bit of sense. I think in some ways you're more mature for your age than you should be. That's not a criticism, Dear, just that some people I think are older than their years. You're one of them. Severus would not go for a simpering witch."

"No," she said, unable to deny she was correct.

"Anyway, the more I thought about it, and the more Harry made it known that you were happy. That both of you seemed to be. Well, I can't deny that I was happy. For you both. I like Mr. Weasley, of course, but he was not a match for you. At twelve and thirteen, of course I wanted that to be true. He wouldn't be a challenge, though, and I think you need that perhaps most of all."

Hermione giggled softly. Ron had been a challenge, while at school, getting him to notice her as a female and not just one of them . The more time she spent away from Hogwarts and with Severus it became obvious that her infatuation was just that and nothing to base a life together off of.

"If you need me, send a patronus. Otherwise, I've been told the lesson plans are located in the top desk drawer."

"Very well," she said.

"Oh, and Hermione. You'll sit next to me at lunch?"

"I'd be honoured, Minerva."

She took a deep breath and exhaled, patting her subtly noticeable swollen abdomen before opening the door. It had to be a Gryffindor/Slytherin class to start her morning off with. She wasn't as big as a house, but anyone who knew her well (as Minerva did) would certainly notice.

"Good morning, class. Professor Robillard is out today, but should return in a couple of days I've been told. My name is Hermione Snape," she said, gesturing to the blackboard with her hand where her name showed up in her precise script. "As I'm not a professor nor am I potions master, just substituting, you may call me Madam Snape, or Mrs. Snape is acceptable if that's what you prefer."

She sat behind the desk and opened the drawer and pulled out the lesson plans. She thumbed through them, admiring Professor Robillard's very neat script. And the detail in the lessons, as if he knew something was going to happen to him.

Or he expected to get sacked at any moment so wanted his replacement to be prepared.

She didn't know anything about him to know which was true.

Or perhaps he just preferred to be that detailed.

Severus was, too.

"It looks like brewing the Fire Protection Potion was on the agenda for today. Any questions?"

A hand shot up. Hermione glanced at the class list and seating chart.

"Yes, Mr. Blackwood."

"Are you married to Severus Snape?"

"I am, yes. As he's no longer teaching he would be Mister or Master Snape to you."

"Is it true he can't ever come back?"

"No. Absolutely not. We were at Harry and Ginevra Potter's wedding just last April."

"Why did he work as a spy and then turn his back on us?"
"Why won't he teach us anymore? My brother says he was strict but he learned so much. Professor Robillard is only all right."

"What's it like being married to him?"

"All right, class, I think we've gotten a little off the subject of why we're here. Potions. Master Snape will return to the wizarding world when he feels it's time. No earlier, no later. He doesn't hate the magical world, but I think he is relishing his privacy for now. I cannot speak for him despite being his wife. As to whether he'd teach again, I highly doubt it though, again, I can't speak for him. I will not answer questions about our personal life."

"But you're pregnant!"

"Good observation, Miss Yara. Now, get on with your potions work or I will start taking points."

It took them a few minutes, but they begrudgingly got to work. She had to admit she had kind of missed this. The sounds of the potions classroom. It was very different from the sounds of Severus' personal lab. It brought back so many memories, though. And this being Gryffindor/Slytherin combined even more so. She glanced at the tables where she, Harry, Ron, and Neville had sat. Here eyes moved to the table Draco had claimed. Hard to believe it was almost ten years since they'd been second years.

"Your slices are too thick," Hermione observed as she walked through the classroom.

"You slice the mushrooms and crush the Wartcap powder, as it's a powder there's nothing to slice. However, you don't want to crush the mushrooms."

Eventually, everyone seemed to be working efficiently and safely. She still walked the classroom, nodding or offering input as she was asked. She tried to remember what Severus had said about Neville. He had to do it, her doing it for him did him no favors. Yes, he was a successful herbologist now, but she knew looking back that Severus had made a valid point.

After the morning's classes had finished she made her way upstairs to the Great Hall. A seat next to Minerva was indeed vacant.

She got lots of looks as she made her way to the chair from staff and students.

Minerva stood then.

"For those who have not yet had Potions this morning or won't today, our substitute teacher while Professor Robillard is out is Madam Hermione Snape. Please welcome Hermione back to Hogwarts as it's been almost five years now since she's been here with us in an educational capacity and we'd like to see her again sooner than that next time."

A round of applause, some startled looks on students faces, a few on some staff members faces. Sybil Trelawney looked positively beside herself and Hermione couldn't help but snigger inwardly at that. Severus had told her about the Divination professor's attempts at wooing him over the years.

"Minerva," Hermione said.

"I don't want to make it easy for you to just leave, Hermione. Hogwarts and the magical world miss you both. I miss you both. You are both needed."

"I know," she said.

"Now tell me what you've been doing, because I know it's more than taking care of Severus."

Hermione told her about her university studies and her plans.

"Ronald laughed?"

Hermione shrugged. She couldn't say she was entirely surprised he had. It hurt a little less now than it had four years ago. How could she expect him to support something he truly wouldn't understand no matter how much Harry or she tried to describe her intentions.

"I'm sorry he did that. I think now he would react differently. You are so very much on the right track, Hermione, as if I would expect any less from you. Truly, I wish someone had thought of this twenty years ago. Have you spoken to Poppy?"

"Madam Pomfrey?"

"She could give you some thoughts, maybe." Minerva leaned in closer. "She might even be able to tell you if Hogwarts could use a, what's it called, psychologist?"

"Minerva, I want to help everyone, not just students."

"There aren't just students at Hogwarts the last I checked, many of the non-students were here in some capacity through both wars. Nor would we have to be your only client."

Hermione was stunned. That would be huge if she got the backing of not just Hogwarts' headmistress but their respectable healer.

"It's been almost four years, but look out at those tables and think of how many remember Death Eaters getting into this castle. Think of how many witnessed horrific crimes. I'm sure I don't need to tell you part of Ronald's issues may very well be what you're talking about. As far as I know he's never spoken to anyone about the war, about what you three went through while you were on the run."

"He wouldn't," Hermione said. "You've given me something to think about, and I'll look for Madam Pomfrey before I leave today."

"Excellent."

"I'd like my focus to be the magical world," she said. She truly had because there were psychologists everywhere in the muggle world. There weren't any here and she thought it was so necessary. "I just assumed it wouldn't be able to be. At least at first. I expected much more pushback and denial."

"I cannot deny what I've observed with my own eyes, Hermione."

"No," she agreed.

"Well, if you need help…"

"I know where to come. Thank you, Minerva."

"As I said, I will not make it easy for you to just walk away. Forget everyone else. I want you here, Dear."

Hermione smiled, sighing softly. In truth, as she'd spent the morning looking at and listening to students and the noises of Hogwarts. She wanted to be here, too.



At the end of the day she used the floo to get to Harry's and then apparated to Liverpool from there.

"How was the day, Professor," Severus said when she found him in the store. So there must have just been a customer. If she wasn't mistaken he sounded both amused and proud.

"Not too bad. Believe it or not, you are missed."

He scoffed. "You must be delirious."

"No, I had more than one class ask me why you left and why you were no longer teaching. Or if you were coming back. Some variation of that."

"Intriguing."

"Minerva likes my idea. She says she wants me to think of Hogwarts first."

"Meddling witch."

"No, Severus, I think this could be very good. My concern, my reason for thinking I'd have to open a practice that muggles and magical alike could find was because I was afraid the magical world wouldn't accept psychology. I mean, look at Ron, even Minerva brought him up. If I have the support of Hogwarts' headmistress and Poppy that would be huge. Minerva mentioned at lunch wanting me to look at the students, many of them were there that year we were on the run. How many of them saw horrible things," she said cautiously. "Family members murdered or tortured."

She knew his year as headmaster was still a touchy subject for Severus. It was, she thought, one of the main reasons that he refused to go back to the magical world. He loved Hogwarts and he'd had to allow atrocities to happen within its walls in the name of being a spy. She couldn't fix that for him, though. That was something he'd have to tackle himself. She'd help him, of course, push in that direction but he had to take that final step on his own.

"So I talked to Poppy and she agreed that there were a number of students who probably could use such services. I mean, I won't be ready yet, obviously, but the fact that they're both open to the idea is huge. She asked me for a timetable and when I told her three to four years she said she would start marking student records with notes of anything she observes that could be useful to me even now."

"You're right, it is," he said, nodding in agreement. "I understand your concerns and you are correct."

"Would you ever use the services?"

"From you?"

"Of course not, don't be silly. I wouldn't ask you to, nor would it be ethical."

"Probably not."

"Why?"

He shrugged. "The things I have in my head, Hermione. I have murders and rapes and robberies and…"

"I understand."

"I'm not sure that you do entirely. Not to say that they don't deserve to be punished, assuming they aren't already in Azkaban. I'm relatively safe as long as former followers believe I'm keeping my mouth shut. If it were discovered I was using such services…"

"Oh, yes, I get it. I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for. I'm sorry because I believe you. I believe in you. I believe in your dream. I've been listening to you, you know. I engage in conversations with you about your studies. I do realize that it would probably be a very useful thing for me. I prefer being alive though and that you and our daughter are safe. So I will refrain and do my own forms of therapy."

"Want to do some of it now?" she asked.

"You know, your hormones were bad before…"

She snorted knowing he didn't mind in the least, already heading to their bedroom. "Well, if you're too tired, you can watch while I…"

"As exciting as that may be, you know that I am never too tired for you, Witch." he followed her to their bedroom. "I was thinking today."

"Yes." 

"They know you're my wife," he asked, running a finger over her jaw and neck.

"Yes. I presume so. I mean I didn't shout it off the battlements, but my last name is Snape."

He leaned down and kissed her and she groaned softly. She wanted him, not to have a conversation about students knowing who she was married to right now and he knew it! She knew who she was married to for crying out loud and that was all that mattered right this second.

"Want to borrow my robes tomorrow?"

Her head jerked back then, pulling away from his kiss and he chuckled. He knew he'd scored points when something distracted her from sex these days.

"Shut up," she said.

"Is that any way to talk to your devoted husband?"

"You're teasing me!"

"I would never. About this anyway. They'd have to be shortened … quite a bit actually, but the idea is a serious one. And, well, that may lead to a very enjoyable evening tomorrow when you return."

She smiled cheekily. Severus had a fantasy. Who knew? "Me in your robes?"

"Mm hmm. I cannot wear them for you, I would not feel … comfortable doing so, but you could wear them."

"Yes," she said. There was probably more enthusiasm behind that one word than should be, but Morgana that was an exciting thought.

"Excellent. Well, let's see to that appetite of yours tonight and then we can think of all those buttons for tomorrow."

"I can't wait to watch your hands undoing them all."

"Mm, funny, neither can I."

"Oh, God, Severus, I'm not going to be able to think of anything else all day!"

He chuckled, clearly pleased with himself.

"Oh you will, trust me. Forget being concerned about your well being around potentially exploding cauldrons, you are carrying our daughter so you will be attentive. Those thoughts of my working those buttons one … by … one … will seep through occasionally, though. And that will excite me to no end."

"Me, too."

Return to Top


***Chapter Ten***
May 2, 2002

"Ready?"

Hermione asked as they approached the fireplace in his lab.

They'd had the fireplace in the lab connected to the floo network since Hermione had substituted at Hogwarts more than once since that first time three months ago. She also had a standing engagement with Poppy. While she did not have her degree yet, Poppy was taking advantage of having someone thinking students' mental wellbeing was just as important as their physical and picking Hermione's brains on various "problem children".

"No," he said with a pout and she leaned up to kiss the side of his mouth, brushing some of his hair away from his face.

His eyes fell closed at the contact. He still thought after all of this time that he didn't deserve affection of any kind. Most particularly though this sort. Touches. Kindness. It made her want to do it all the more.

"I know you're not. We can stay home… No one will know."

"No," he huffed, the pout increasing and she gave a soft giggle as she kissed his lower lip. "You'd know," he said. He kissed the palm of her hand, an attempt to hide the vulnerability in those two words no doubt.

And that was the crux of it. He did not like appearing weak to her. Not that deciding that he was not ready to visit Hogwarts today for the first time in four years would make her think that of him.

He thought it would, though.

Together they made their way into their fireplace and to the headmistress' office. Hermione had insisted that Albus be elsewhere or Severus would not come. The former headmaster had pouted and stammered, but ultimately he'd agreed. He wanted "his boy" to come home just as much as others did. She hoped the meddler kept to his word.

Her first glance was to the empty portrait, as was her husband's she noticed. She felt a bit of the tension leave his body at that and she knew she'd made the right decision. She didn't like to meddle. She didn't want to be that wife that kept things from her husband or meddled, but she knew that his first time here he would not want to see Albus Dumbledore, portrait or no.

Minerva had agreed not to be there as well. Once they arrived, Severus whispered the command that she imagined secured the floo so that no one else could get through.

He took in the office, eyes darting between all of the portraits. She saw a slight nod of acknowledgement between Severus and Phineas. Otherwise, the room was too quiet despite all but Dumbledore being present in their portrait. No doubt they knew Severus was coming and wanted to see him. She'd expected someone to say something to the man.

As they started toward the door that would lead from the office the room was suddenly filled with the sound of applause and even a whistle or two. Severus paused, but did not turn around to look at the portraits. He merely shook his head and lifted his hand to wave with his back to them. She heard a soft sound that might have been him trying to choke back a sob. She slid her arm around his waist, resting her head against his shoulder. She didn't say anything. She didn't look at him. She knew he would not … like that.

Despite their comfort with one another and the change in their relationship once they had both admitted their feelings, she knew there were things he was very private about. Displaying emotion like this, showing vulnerability, was not something he was good at. He may realize she heard and knew, but he would not want her to see him in what he considered a weak moment.

He nodded after a minute or two and she knew Severus Snape was back and lifted her head from his shoulder and brushed the back of his hand with hers. He took the offered hand, clasping it a little tighter than usual for a second or two. And then it was business as usual.

They took their leave then, making their way down the stairs, passing the gargoyle to which he nodded, and then on their way through the halls. His hand clutched hers just a bit tighter every time they passed someone. No one said anything to him. A few said hello to her, knowing her from the substitute teaching stints she'd done. They stared, but were quiet as if sensing the man next to her did not wish to be addressed.

He stopped periodically, looking at this or that, but he said nothing and she let him walk silently, taking it all in. He hadn't asked her anything about Hogwarts itself when she'd come home from her teaching over the past couple of months. Questions about the classes or the curriculum, but never about the castle. At first she'd been surprised, but after the first time she realized it made sense.

This had been his home and had held his secrets for years. Only Dumbledore and Hogwarts knew the truth about him. He'd had to be headmaster for a year, allowing things to happen on his watch that he knew went against the very principles of the school he loved so much. Having suffered many hurtful and embarrassing things himself as a student he was especially disgusted with that year.

She thought that of all the people who loved Hogwarts he was one of the few who would be in the running for loving it most of all. She'd heard rumours, read articles in the Prophet, that accused him of not caring, implying that was the reason for his absence. Quite the contrary, as Hermione was learning the closer they got, he cared entirely too much.

He didn't want others to see that side of him. Severus Snape didn't care. Severus Snape was not kind. Severus Snape did not love.

Finally they made it to the grounds where others had gathered and all but a few stopped talking and turned to stare. She supposed they made quite the picture if they weren't expecting them. Whole, and obviously continuing life's journey with a child soon. Together.

She unlaced her fingers from being intertwined with his, but he grabbed on. She nodded simply, twining them together again. She wasn't sure if he wanted even that little bit of demonstration of affection visible to all. She was happy to give him whatever he needed.

They sat with Harry, Ginny, Ron, Neville, and the others. Justin and Susan sat near them, too. Severus' arm stayed around her shoulders the entire service. He did not fidget or touch her hair as he sometimes did when they were out and his hand was behind her. It was there, though, warm, strong, and comforting at her shoulder. She imagined she brought him comfort and strength, too. Knowing that he was providing it to her would give it to him.

She talked with others after the service, keeping an eye on Severus all the while. He hadn't moved from his seat. A few approached him, he shook their hand or nodded his head in acknowledgement but they went on their way quickly. She didn't get the impression he was rude, but he could still be prickly when he wanted to be and she imagined people didn't quite know what to say to him.

Eventually, she joined him, kicking off her shoes and making fists in the grass with her toes much like John McClane did in Die Hard.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"Yes, fine. Just resting my ankles and feet for a bit."

He stood then and she wondered where he was going, but he didn't leave. Instead he sat on the ground in front of and faced her. He took one foot in between his hands and rubbed. She groaned softly and whether it was that or just the fact that Severus was rubbing her foot at all, they were drawing all sorts of attention.

"I told you not to wear those shoes," he said, inclining his head toward the offending footwear.

"Yes, well," she said with a shrug.

"It was more than acceptable," he said, gesturing with his head and a shrug in the direction of the podium where Minerva and others had spoken.

"It was," she agreed.

"Thank you for talking me into coming."

"Well, it's time. Don't you think?"

"I didn't really, no, but you wanted to come. Happy wife, happy life or something is what I hear quoted to me in the store by men who cater to their wives inane desires for the latest erotic romance novel no matter if it's even any good."

"Mm, should I read the new releases to see if they're of quality before we put them on the shelves."

"With your hormones where they are currently I'm not sure that wouldn't put me in the hospital."

She giggled softly.

"I'm glad you came, Severus."

"As am I, Wife."

Eventually, Harry and Ginny as well as Justin and Susan came and sat near them. Ginny swatted Harry's shoulder when she saw exactly what Severus was doing to his wife's foot.

"You don't do that for me."

"I," Harry said, glancing from his wife to Hermione who merely shrugged and then to Severus who shook his head.

"I cannot offer you an out on this one, Potter," he said simply.

"Um, when we get home?" Harry said.

"But that will just lead to what got me into this uncomfortable state to begin with!"

Severus shook his head and closed his eyes.

"I may take back my earlier statement of being glad I came," he drawled.

Harry and Ginny stared at him.

"You are?" Harry asked.

"It was … not terrible."

"There's a ball…"

"No," Severus said. "Hermione didn't even mention that to me so she knows my answer."

"But she'd be able to dress up."

"Potter, no," Severus said.

"I'm not trying to sound petulant, really. I understand. It was just nice to see you here. You belong here. And I don't mean just at the memorial service, Sir."

Severus turned his head in the direction of the castle and nodded simply.

Hermione smiled a bit as he slid a hand up just a touch higher than her foot and ankle. Nothing indecent, but it felt nice before he switched to her other foot.

"Whatever you put in his coffee this morning, Hermione," Ginny said. "You should sell it."

Hermione laughed lightly as she shifted on the chair a bit. "I didn't put anything in his coffee. He's actually quite thoughtful. When I come home from a full day of classes he has a tub with soothing potions waiting for me."

"That's actually sweet."

"He is," she said.

"Please do not let anyone else hear you say that," he hissed but the lift of his lips told her he was teasing.

"Don't worry, you can be the evil git if you want to be. Only Harry, Ginny, Justin, and Susan will know the truth."

"How are you feeling, Mrs. Potter."

"Ginny, or Ginevra as you prefer, please."

"Well?" he queried again but nodded slightly. So he'd heard her.

"Fine," she said. "Really, I can't complain."

"You are getting your potions from Madam Cord?"

"I do."

"Good. Those are mine so you are then getting the best."

"St. Mungo's must know that, they referred me to her."

"They are aware, yes." He regarded Hermione then after a final stroke of his thumb over the heel of her foot. "Better?"

"Yes," she said.

"Better enough to walk some with your husband?"

"Always," she said.

He helped her with her shoes.

"We'll see you next weekend then, yeah?" Harry asked.

"We will," Hermione agreed. They were having dinner, the six of them.

She stood then, smiling when Severus took her hand in his. They walked around the lake a bit before heading back into the castle. It was late enough in the day by now, most everyone who didn't belong here had left.

Minerva found them in the dungeons. They had been standing outside his former classroom for a good ten minutes. He'd made no effort to enter it. He said nothing. He just leaned with his shoulder against the wall, staring. She didn't think he was looking at the door to the classroom specifically, but rather the general area of the hallway they were in as a whole. As many questions as she might have right now about everything, not just how he was feeling, she knew now was not the time to be inquisitive.

"I thought I might find you two, or three I guess, here."

"Mm," Severus said.

"Have you gone in yet?" she asked.

"No," he said.

"Will you join us for dinner? Both of you, of course."

Hermione glanced at Severus. The decision was his. She would not influence him anymore than the suggestion of coming to the memorial service today. She would not push. This he would have to do on his own time.

"We will think about it."

"Well, there's always a place for you both. Even if it's not tonight."

"Thank you," he said.

"And I will make no announcement," she said, glancing at Hermione who nodded.

"That certainly improves the chances," her husband said.

"All right, well, I will leave you alone for now. Continue on with your impromptu tour."

"Thank you," he said.

"Your previous quarters are untouched. In fact, no one knows where exactly they even are and are unable to gain access via where we think the entrance is to this day."

He nodded in acknowledgement, lips lifting ever so slightly but Hermione knew he was … amused and proud that his wards were still intact this much after he'd even used the quarters. Minerva went back the way she'd come.

"Those must be some strong wards," Hermione said.

He sniggered. "You could say that. I didn't want to get my throat slit by a student pissed off they'd gotten a troll."

"I can imagine that was of concern to you rather frequently."

"Wouldn't that have been ironic? Survive being a Death Eater and a spy only to be taken out by a pissed off student."

She brushed her hip against his. "Don't even joke about that."

He shrugged and gave a contemplative sigh. "It was my life."

He pushed off from leaning against the wall and closed the distance to the door leading to his former classroom. The door opened for him almost as if bespelled to. Maybe it was. She honestly wouldn't put it past him to do that. She heard him gasp as they entered and she squeezed his hand. She couldn't imagine the memories and feelings this was bringing to the forefront of his mind.

She wished she could do something for him, but she supposed she was doing it by being here beside him.

"Minerva told me nothing down here needed much rebuilding," she said.

"I would imagine not. Who'd come down here? Few knew the dungeon halls well enough to want to fight down here."

"You did."

"Of course," he said. Some would take the statement as him being cocky. And he was, she supposed, but was it cocky when what he was agreeing to was true? No one knew these dungeons as well as Severus Snape. "Have you met this Robillard? I presume he's French?"

"I have, and yes, he is. He's nice."

"Nice," he said.

"Yes," she shrugged. What else could she say? She hadn't sat for tea with him. She'd barely said more than two words to him beyond filling him in on what she'd done in his absence.

"There's no room for nice with potions."

"Is that right? I can think of some very nice things we've done in your lab, and with some potions you've made for us."

He chuckled softly, and she saw just a hint of colour on his cheeks.

"Care to see where the bat of the dungeons called home for years?"

"Really?" Was he kidding? Of course she wanted to see it! He knew her better than to have to even ask. She'd chalk it up to emotion, though anyone else would wonder what emotion she was referring to.

He led her through the classroom to his office. She'd only ever been in it once or twice as a student. When she'd filled in for Professor Robillard she really hadn't had need to and didn't feel comfortable using someone else's private space.

In the corner, or at least what looked like the corner he waved his wand and an opening appeared.

"I wonder if Professor Robillard knows he's being shorted on his office space," Hermione said and Severus chuckled.

"I won't tell if you don't."

They stepped through the opening and with a wave of his hand it sealed up again. Little Miss chose that moment to give Hermione an almost violent kick. She had been quiet most of the day so it was welcome but surprising because it seemed to come out of nowhere.

"Luminous," he murmured.

She wasn't sure what she was expecting when they got into what had clearly been his quarters. Bare. Little comfortable. Nothing personal.

She'd been partially correct.

The furniture, while worn from obvious age and use, was obviously comfortable. A wave of their wands and dust and such was gone from various surfaces. And books. So many books. There were no pictures. No plants. No knick knacks. No evidence that someone with any sort of life to speak of called this space home.

Except the books. That's where his personality came through loud and clear.

"You just left these here?" she asked.

"Only you would understand the difficulty in my having to do that."

"I'd say."

It truly looked as if no one had been here for years. Had he come here at all during his time as headmaster? She hoped he'd been able to come here to get away. Then maybe he wouldn't have wanted the taint of that year, what he'd had to allow to happen to be brought within these walls.

"I guess the elves don't know how to get here either?" she asked after a moment of quiet between them.

He was looking at things the same as she was. She spotted a crystal tumbler that was dry, but the dried up residuals of what looked like leftover whisky were still at the bottom. The decanter next to it had the stopper in place so it still had liquid in it.

"No," he said. "They could not. There was one, at the headmaster's direction, who would assist on the real bad nights but he wouldn't betray that confidence even after all of this time."

"He wouldn't come clean?"

"No, that was not his job. His job was to heal me when I couldn't go to Poppy."

"I see," she said.

"Not what you were expecting?"

"Not exactly. I expected something more utilitarian I guess."

"Well, it's certainly not designed to be homey."

"No, but," she said, running a hand over the sofa and then the back of a chair. Again, they weren't stylish or anything. They'd obviously been well used, though. "Obviously you wanted comfort when you were here. As you deserved," she said, meeting his gaze.

"Are you okay?" he asked after a moment.

"She has been moving a lot since we came in here."

"Really?" he asked.

"Yes. From the moment we left the office."

There were times Hermione had him run a diagnostic on her to ensure the baby was okay because she was so quiet. It was better than the alternative she supposed of feeling as if her insides were being used like a football. She certainly did that, too, but those violent kicks were few and far between.

Until now.

"Interesting," he said.

He crossed to her then and set his hand over her abdomen. That was responded to with another round of almost violent kicks. She loved the look on his face when he felt their daughter kick and move. She loved knowing that no one else would see that look. He wouldn't allow them to. Well, maybe their daughter when they had another one in a few years. She considered herself lucky indeed.

"Can she feel you, I wonder? Your magic?"

"This is where it was strongest. I valued my privacy and I ensured it wouldn't be violated at all costs. I don't have the drastic security measures at our home that I did here."

"Maybe she's telling you that she could have gotten past them."

"That is a challenge I would enjoy participating in."

"In about eighteen years."

"More like four years."

"You are not!"

"Our child? Are you serious? She will learn and learn young."

"She may not have our thirst for knowledge, Severus, and she deserves a childhood."

"Of course, she can be a child all that she wants, but she will learn all of her father's secrets."

"Lucky girl."

He leaned down then, kissing her. "Her mother already knows them."

"Not all of them."

"So you think," he murmured. "I do have one secret her mummy can help me with."

"Oh?"

"Help me chase the demons of these rooms away."

"Oh!" She smiled widely. He knew he wouldn't have to pose the idea twice. Very rarely did he have to ask once these days. "Your wife agrees to this proposition."

"Does she? I'm shocked," he quipped with a low chuckle.

"Where shall we start?"

"Start?"

"Well, we're not going to chase demons away with just one time."

"I suppose that could be true."

"So I repeat where shall we start?"

"Right here?"

"My, you are naughty, Master Snape. You want me over the arm of the sofa?"

"Yes."

"Well, what are you waiting for," she asked as she shed her robes and crossed to the other side of said sofa so that she could be where he wanted her to be. The heat and wonder in his eyes brought her to her knees nearly every time. This man, this incredible man, truly still didn't believe that she would have him anywhere, anytime he wanted. Pregnancy hormones or not.

"Twenty-one year old me would be incredibly scared right now. Not that twenty-one year old me would have ever imagined a witch like you in my rooms."

"Twenty-one year old you wouldn't be able to keep up with me, Husband."

"He certainly would have enjoyed trying, though."

Return to Top


***Chapter Eleven***
June 2002

Hermione came down from their flat to the store, surprised to see Severus engaged in an obvious meeting with someone. She returned upstairs without interrupting. She'd never seen the man before. He wasn't magical. Well, she assumed he wasn't because he looked too muggle. That was incredibly prejudicial to think, but it was true. Spending the past four years in muggle Britain she was far better now than she had been before at picking out magical people who were living as muggles.

They had an aura, a presence about them that she was able to identify. Severus told her not everyone could do that. He suggested it was a sign of a powerful witch or wizard who could detect another's magical presence.

Severus came upstairs about an hour later, looking distracted but kissed her on his way to changing out of his work attire.

He returned a few minutes later, still looking distracted but calm. Not that he hadn't been calm earlier. Severus was always calm.

"That was someone interested in buying the building," he said as if he knew that she was dying to ask.

"Oh?" she asked. "Are you selling? Are we moving? Is everything all right?"

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose and shook his head. He turned to look at her and then looked at the wall behind her.

"Minerva has offered me a job."

She was quiet as she thought over that statement.

Was she surprised the headmistress wanted him back? No, not at all. Was she surprised that he was contemplating it to the point he'd met with someone about the building? Yes. Was she surprised he managed to get to the point of talking to a potential buyer without her even having a hint that he was thinking about something pretty huge? Also, yes.

Then she remembered who exactly her husband was. Former spy who'd fooled Voldemort for years. So, no she supposed she shouldn't be surprised by any of it.

"That didn't take her long," Hermione said.

She regarded him then and realization dawned on her.

"You're going to take it."

"I think I am. I mean, not without discussing it with you first. I had to find out, though, if I'd be able to get out of this," he said, gesturing to the building. "Mr. McTierney has offered to buy this property off of me several times the past few years. I've always told him I was not interested, of course. I had to find out just how serious he was. There could be other buyers, but I figured I'd start with him."

"And?"

"We will make out very well on the deal. I will probably try a couple of other buyers, but I'm not looking to start a bidding war. I've done some modifications and improvements as you know."

"I do."

"The Mersey being right here helps."

"Of course."

"I'd find another home for us. A real home for you," he said, gesturing to her and then placed his hand over her abdomen. "And this child and any others we may have."

"Severus. I don't mind living here."

"I know you that don't, but you deserve so much better than this."

"Severus, if the reason that you're thinking about this is for me, please don't. If you want to, truly want to. Then I will of course support you whatever you decide."

"I miss it," he whispered.

Oh boy. She knew that was not only incredibly difficult for him to admit but to say it aloud.

"I know," she said.

She did know.

He hadn't specifically said it, but he hadn't had to.

She saw it in his eyes. She saw it in the way he'd set a hand against this wall or that portrait. The way his grip on her hand tightened ever so slightly when they'd entered the Great Hall for dinner together. She saw a look in his eyes she hadn't really seen before. She was a little jealous of that look, truthfully.

Not here. Never here. This place was a means to an end.

Home.

She knew he loved her. She knew their place and business was a home to him. It wasn't, however, home. And there absolutely was a difference.

"And you have indicated wanting to return to the magical world when done with your education. With the support of Minerva and Poppy and that she is already seeking from you on various students I can't help but think it won't take you as long as you originally thought to work solely in the magical world if you so choose."

She nodded. He was right. She was very surprised at how open Poppy and Minerva were and receptive to her ideas. She had no idea. She'd expected more pushback. Of course, they were just two people, but it certainly gave her hope others wouldn't think she was crazy.

"You're right. But we wouldn't be able to live together?"

He chuckled, but then seemed to realize she was serious.

"Oh, my little minx, if you think I'm letting you out of my home or most importantly my bed even for one night you are not as bright as I thought. I figured we could rent something, a house and preferably one with a fireplace, for now until your coursework is done. That home will be connected to the floo network so you can go back and forth from our quarters at Hogwarts. I can arrange it with Minerva so that if I have to sleep at the house I can."

"And the baby?"

"We will make arrangements. Molly Weasley is always an option as is Ginevra for that matter since she will be having theirs about the time you'd go back to school. Not right away, I realize, but we will find someone if Molly is unwilling. Poppy may be an option, as well as Rolanda. I also thought Justin may know someone. They'd be muggle obviously, but you could bring her with you to our home and leave from there once the sitter arrives."

"You've thought about this."

"I have," he said. "This building was the last piece."

"And you said nothing to me?"

"I will not make a decision without you. If you do not wish me to return I will not, but I had to be able to approach you with all of the facts. Telling you three weeks ago that I was thinking about it but having no thought as to whether I could sell this building or anything wouldn't have been prudent. I could have gotten your hopes up for nothing, or initiated an argument for no reason."

They'd had a few disagreements since that night she'd taken her ring off and left for a while. That night seemed to have driven home the point to him that she truly was his wife. There was no agreement at work any longer (if there ever truly had been). Any decision she made regarding him and their future was because she wanted a life with him. Disagreements were of course going to happen between two people as opinionated and well read as they were.

"If you check our email there is one message from a realtor with a handful of homes that I believe would be agreeable to us both. All are rentals so we would not be committed beyond a lease, and all after the one year lease is concluded would allow us to rent month to month as long as we give sixty days notice before we vacate so they can attempt to fill before we leave."

"Really?"

"I was quite adamant about that."

"Evidently this realtor knows who they're dealing with."

"So it would seem."

"I will look at it after dinner."

"So?"

"I think we should do it. You need to be home, Severus. Hogwarts is home. I know I make you happy, and this little girl will make you happy, but there's a piece of you. A hole in your heart, if you will not to sound overly dramatic, where Hogwarts has a place and you need it. I think it needs you, too."

He nodded then and she saw tears in his eyes. She stepped up to him, hugging him, his head against her chest since he was sitting and she was not. She kissed the top of his head and slid her arms around his shoulders, holding him tight.

"I love you, Severus. I, we, want you happy and whole. Hogwarts will go toward that end."

"Thank you," he murmured, his voice sounded hoarse and she loved that sound there.

Not because she enjoyed seeing, hearing, that he was hurting. No, but she knew that she truly was his witch for him to be vulnerable like this in front of her.

"Oh, my wizard, you don't have to thank me for wanting all of us whole and healthy. We will have your rooms then."

"I assumed you would not want to live in the dungeons…"

"Oh no, Master Snape. In fact," she said, drawing away slightly and he tilted his head up to look at her. His chin was resting on her already swollen breasts and she patted her very pregnant tummy. "The next one, if and whenever we decide to try for him or her. That bed, under that canopy with those snake bedposts."

"Pushy witch," he murmured and she laughed.

"Your daughter liked it there, Severus."

"I am to be ruled by the women in my life, it seems."

"As it should be," she quipped, leaning down as best she could these days to kiss the tip of his nose. He grimaced but allowed her the show of affection.

"Truly, Hermione. Thoughts?"

"I have no career yet to speak of. I am working on my education. As long as I'm able to continue toward that end, which you've said I will be, then we will go wherever you go."

"We?"

"Mm, if you think she's going to be in here much longer you're in for a rude awakening in a matter of weeks. Or so I've heard."

He chuckled. "I vaguely recall Draco's birth. I wasn't there for that part, obviously, but the sleepless nights."

"Lucius had sleepless nights?"

"They had tried for a while before Draco came along, so yes. He was concerned for his son's wellbeing."

"What changed?"

Severus chuckled. "Please don't say that to anyone else but me."

"I will try to refrain."

"So you are okay?"

"I am. As long as it's truly what you want and you're not doing it because you somehow think I want you to. I want you happy, and if Hogwarts is what does that then Hogwarts it is. As you say, we can rent a home here until I'm done with school and then we can take the time to find a house we not just want but love."

"Private, of course."

"Of course. Maybe we can find an uninhabited island."

"I like the sound of that."

"You would. I'm not sure I'm ready to be that reclusive, Severus."

He chuckled. "Okay, an island with a dozen other people on it."

She rolled her eyes. "Smart arse."

"That's too many? I think it would be."

"I know you would. Go owl Minerva your answer. Where's Professor Robillard going?"

"Mm," he said. This was followed by a telling smirk. "He's not going anywhere."

"Oh?"

He chuckled. "I neglected to tell you, I'm to be the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor and Deputy Headmaster."

"You did not tell me that. I'm even more confident in my answer then. Yes. You will be an exceptional professor for that subject. Why Deputy?"

"Evidently Minerva has been having some … difficulties. The castle it seems still recognizes me as the position was never officially turned over to her. There are procedures in place. Albus assumed I would be placed there so prepared for that inevitability prior to his death."

"Oh?"

"I offered, of course, to do just that, but she said she wants one day when it's her turn to retire for me to resume the role."

"Severus, that would be excellent."

"You think so?"

"I do. I know it's scary, but you deserve the chance to perform that role, that position, under ordinary circumstances to prove not only your worth but your love for the school and its students and their education."

"Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me. You have been supporting my crazy idea for three years without question even though it's never been done in the wizarding world before."

"If anyone can do it, it's you."

"I feel the same way about you." He kissed a breast through her top, rubbing his cheek against her. "Will staying in your rooms work then? If you're not teaching Potions?"

"It will. The entrance will just be moved. You're sure you want the dungeons?"

She shrugged. "One day maybe I'll tire of it, but how can I argue with your preference and obviously our daughter's."

"You can't."

"Mm hmm," she said, kissing the top of his head again. She rested her cheek against him there then and sighed softly.

"Ferris Bueller was right," she murmured.

"What?"

"John Hughes movie? Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

"I think I missed it. The film I mean."

"Oh, well then to pay me back for telling me nothing of these plans we will have a John Hughes movie night before classes start for both of us again."

"Will I find these movies so horrible that you consider this payback?"

"I hope you won't. They're definitely teen movies. He has some comedies, too, but I'd have to think about which one of those to start you with. Uncle Buck maybe."

"I take you at your recommendation."

"So the position is no longer cursed, right? I mean, you're not taking the position only to have to leave in a year?"

"No, we believe once Riddle passed the curse was broken. Minerva is just unhappy with the current instructor and thought she could use the position like catnip."

"She doesn't know that you truly didn't covet that position?"

She hadn't known that herself until about two years ago. It had been part of his cover. Dumbledore's unwillingness to give it to him was something that Voldemort believed gave him power over Severus, something to keep Severus loyal.

"No, only you know that. I'm not even sure Albus is aware I truly didn't want it. In the beginning, yes, but I was far better at Potions."

"Not safer."

He snorted. "Certainly not when Longbottom was there."

"Speaking of Neville."

"Yes, I am aware that he's still an apprentice."

"He should be finishing up soon?"

"I would think this next year if he didn't this year. I am aware he was still there this past school year."

"You will be … polite to him?"

He snorted. "You were going to say nice, but yes I can endeavor for polite."

"Thank you."

"Now, go look at your emails, see if any of the homes appeal to you."

"How soon are we looking at being out of here?"

"He said by the end of August if the paperwork is in order, which it is."

"And the inventory?"

He sighed heavily. "I will have to figure that out. I was thinking we could store it and perhaps attempt to sell them to other book suppliers, or the internet. People buy books on it from my understanding."

She smirked, running her fingers through his hair. "They do," she said.

"I do have a couple of contacts that I believe will fairly take my inventory off of my hands."

"Contacts?"

"Other small bookstore owners like myself. You know, I have a customer needing XYZ and I see that you might be interested in ABC. If you send me XYZ I'll send you ABC and twenty pounds, or whatever the value difference might be. I have done more trading to than from so I have accumulated some, what is the phrase, markers."

"Yes, that would apply."

"So, it will be taken care of. I have a question for you, Hermione," he said.

"Oh? This sounds serious, you said my name."

"I often say your name."

"No, you don't. I'm not complaining. I don't mind being your witch or whatever, but when you say my name I know it's important."

He looked at her, lifting an eyebrow as if thinking about what she'd just said. "I will endeavour to do better."

"Severus, that wasn't what I meant. Go ahead with your question."

"What would you do if someone were to ever discover the reasons behind our marriage?"

"How would they ever find out? There was nothing in writing. Our lives have not suffered because of our marriage." She shrugged. "I'm not sure what you're asking me. Are you planning on telling someone?"

"No!"

"Nor am I. To this day I don't know why you made the offer, but you did. I accepted, and there is no when I give you an heir I can walk away. I said I do, I had my parents' priest bless our marriage."

"Very well."

"And if someone did find out and ask. Who cares how or why our marriage came about? We are married. I mean, people have arranged marriages. We at least came to an agreement without our parents doing it for us when we were two without either of us having a say in it."

"Valid point."

"Of course it is."

"I was just curious. We are returning to a world where our names carry a certain amount of weight individually let alone jointly. I imagine there will be people, the likes of Skeeter, who will dig and dig."

"Ah," she said, understanding now where the question came from. "All we can do, Severus, is go about our lives. If we give them no reason to question that we are married and committed to being a family they won't think to look."

"I've never had that," he said.

"It's scary?"

"It is," he whispered. His hand went to her abdomen and their daughter reacted with a kick as if she knew. "I worry."

"I am not worried, Severus."

She slid her hand under his chin, lifting his face so she could look into his eyes.

"I have known you since I was eleven years old. I know you don't like being reminded of that fact, but it's the truth. I have known you to be bitter and mean, but I have also known you despite the fact we were breaking rules left and right to save our lives. I know that despite loathing Harry's father you did what you could to save his life for years. I know that you did not have me expelled for stealing from you. Was my being a cat penalty enough for my thievery," she shrugged, grazing her thumb over his jaw.

"Perhaps so, but you still could have had me punished. I know that you acted as a spy. I see evidence of the lengths you went to to carry out your role, the torture you were on the receiving end of. I was there when I came into this store for the first time and despite considering me a pest you offered me tea and lent me a somewhat friendly ear. You came up with a plan to aid me, presumably you were under the impression I'd say no but you could at least tell yourself that you'd offered. I have watched as we went from virtual strangers, really, sharing living space to friends and now much more. I have seen the look of disappointment, of fear, in your eyes when we argue. Yet, through it all, I have never seen you lift a hand as if you were going to strike. I have never seen you with a look of rage in your eyes. I'm sure you have, I'm sure you've had reason to feel that but you never displayed it to me or around me. Eleven years, Severus. I have no concerns about your ability to parent our daughter."

She laughed softly as their daughter kicked again under his hand. "Obviously she doesn't either."

"Apparently. She must get that from you."

"Obviously," she said. "Now if you're done pouting and fretting I will go look at house listings."

He chuckled. "I am fine."

"Good. And just so you know it's not just you. I wonder every day how I'm going to do this," she said, gesturing to her belly. "It's okay to be nervous and fret, but you are not a monster or a bad person. I wouldn't have married you if you were. I wouldn't have agreed to work here if you were."

He nodded simply. He sighed as she stepped away and she smiled a bit at that. She liked being close to him, too. She loved that he did as well.

Return to Top


***Chapter Twelve***
August 2002

"Oh, Morgana, Hermione, she's perfect," Ginny said.

"She is, isn't she?" Hermione said. To some that would sound conceited, but she didn't mean it like that. She was truly astounded that she and Severus had … created something so perfect.

"You doubted you'd create something perfect?"

"Well, yes," she said with a shrug. "It's all DNA and genetics, Severus and I really have nothing directly to do with the process. I mean, well," she said and blushed profusely. Ginny laughed.

"So, are we matchmaking little Evelynn and James before they even know what hit them?"

"I think not," Hermione said with a soft laugh. "I should tell Severus that, though, just to see his reaction. Could you imagine my telling him I want to marry our daughter off to Harry's son."

"I can almost picture how that conversation would go," Ginny said. "I fear he'd never talk to Harry or me again! So, let's not."

Hermione chuckled softly.

"How are you?"

"Ready to be done!"

"Yes, I remember that feeling well." It was only a little more than ago and as much as she enjoyed being pregnant overall, those last few weeks. It wasn't the discomfort, though that was certainly part of it.

She wanted to meet her daughter.

"I can't believe Mum did this seven times!"

Hermione snorted. She snorted because in truth she couldn't imagine doing it more than twice herself. She would absolutely try one more time for a boy, only because she knew Severus wasn't hung up on having to have a boy for their child to matter. She knew, though, that after having Evelynn he'd want another. There was a look in his eye the first time he actually held Evelynn that told her so.

"So, you're all settled then in both places?"

"We are."

Ginny was babysitting today so that Severus and Hermione could do one final cleaning of the building before turning the keys over to the new owner. All of their existing belongings went to the rental house they'd found not far from campus that would suit their needs (that being primarily a fireplace and a room big enough for his potions equipment). It was temporary, and while Severus felt she was being shortchanged she truly didn't plan on spending much time there so she wasn't bothered by it being a little small. She was fairly certain he would never use the potions equipment there, but he'd wanted it just in case.

Their rooms at Hogwarts were all set for them. The floo was connected to their house and only Hermione and a few others knew what it was named to access it. It all happened so fast. Her only concern was with and about him. That it would be too fast for him. That he'd get back to Hogwarts and realize he wasn't ready to be back so permanently and visibly. She was worried for him not for herself.

"Are you excited or sad?"

"I'm excited. Minerva has assured Severus that he can continue his business. Professor Robillard was not interested in supplying St. Mungo's or the infirmary, so it worked well. No toes were stepped on in the process. For all that we both needed some time away, he missed it. I saw it on the day of the memorial service." It was that knowledge that made her think this wasn't a bad idea.

"It's good it has worked out then."

"I agree."

"And you'll be helping him?"

"Probably. I enjoy it, too. I'd never make a career out of it, but I do enjoy watching him work."

"Do you now?" Ginny said.

"I do. Honestly, he's so good at it. So precise. I don't know if you've ever been to an orchestra's performance. As a child I loved the music, but I would watch with my eyes glued to the conductor as he worked. I could do the same with Severus when he's working."

"That's sweet. I was so jealous at the memorial service."

Jealous of her? Ginny? She was married to Harry Potter! What was there to be jealous of Hermione about? "Why?"

"Harry would never do that in public."

"I think Severus doesn't particularly care what anyone else thinks, but he also spent so long having to play a role that he realizes he will have to prove that he's not truly like that. Plus," she shrugged. "He is good to me."

"That's all that matters."

"It is," Hermione said. "If there had been hundreds of people sitting there at that moment I'm not sure he would have done it. He was," Hermione shrugged. "I think he was feeling vulnerable, needy. He wanted me without telling anyone else he did because he can't be weak in front of anyone. He was asked to do a lot for many years with no one being the wiser."

"And blamed for a lot."

"He was."

They were both quiet for a bit after that. No doubt thinking about all that Severus was blamed for. All of the names he had been called. All of the times he'd risked his cover as a spy to save their lives. If it had gotten back to Voldemort that he'd helped them in the Shrieking Shack, for instance. That could have been very bad. Of course, that had happened before Voldemort had returned, but there was the possibility it could have been reported back to him eventually.

"Harry gets so angry with Dumbledore when he thinks about it all."

"Me, too," Hermione said.

She wasn't going to speak for Severus on this point, but she knew he wasn't too keen on his former boss either. Anger was an understatement. She knew that one of the conditions of his return was that he would only meet with Minerva in the headmistress' office if Albus was gone from his portrait. And that their daughter was not to be brought into that office for any reason.

Ginny shrugged, handing Evelynn back after giving her a soft kiss. She knew this subject was still uncomfortable for people. Guilt. Embarrassment. Both played a role.

"I want a girl," Ginny said.

Hermione laughed. She wasn't surprised to hear her friend say that. "You will have another chance I'm sure."

"I know. I just," she said. "I think about Mum. I don't want to have seven and have a girl last."

"I can't imagine," Hermione said. She truly couldn't. She supposed after two it probably got easier.

"Well, no, you wouldn't. I don't want seven either."

"Thank goodness. I'd never judge you if you did, but I'd like to have my friend when we're older. You know, forty and we can go out to the bars because our kids are old enough."

"Is that what we're going to do?"

"Of course it is!"

"I'll mark it on my calendar then."

They laughed then. The idea of them barhopping at forty was rather preposterous, but she wasn't lying completely. She was glad they were having children at the same time, which meant their oldest would be done with school at the same time (assuming James was born before September first). That meant that they'd be "free" at the same time. Presuming Ginny didn't end up with seven children anyway.

As it happened, Andromeda knew someone willing to babysit for Evelynn until Ginny felt comfortable doing it. If she never did, well they'd deal with that. Ginny had promised her that she would be honest if she decided she didn't want to. Neither witch saw that happening, especially with Ginny already seeing her at least a dozen times in six weeks and falling in love with her. The sitter would come to Hogwarts, which meant that they didn't have to worry about a babysitter seeing any accidental magic (by Evelynn or them doing something not realizing they were seen).

"And three more years you think?"

"Yes. This is my first year for my postgraduate doctorate, which should be another three years. Maybe if I work hard, but honestly with Evelynn I'm not sure I want to. It was sort of the reason we thought it'd be a good idea to have Evelynn now. And then possibly after postgraduate, before I start a practice, a second one. We'll see."

"And are you going to start a practice?"

"I will talk to Minerva when the time comes. She's in favor of it, so I know she'll give me some insight and ideas on how to go about it. I don't want people to rebuff or laugh at it, especially parents thinking their children don't need help. We don't need Evelynn being told her mum is a quack."

"A what?"

"A fake doctor."

"Ah. But if you're already working with them at Hogwarts and their child says so…"

"That's kind of what I'm hoping. Then again, Hogwarts may be interested and pay me enough to make it worth my while not to look elsewhere. I may also have to go the route I originally planned, and setup an office somewhere that both muggles and magical can find."

"Well, if Minerva has anything to say about it, considering you're her favorite."

"I am not."

"Hermione, it's okay. You were and still are. It's always been so obvious, and rightfully so. No one hated you for it or anything."

Hermione wasn't sure what to say to that. She really never thought of herself as being Minerva's, or anyone's, favorite. Not really.

"Oh," Ginny said, standing slowly from the sofa.

"Yes," she said, standing and positioning Evelynn before she followed Ginny. She followed Ginny.

"Harry wanted me to show this to you," she said, removing the sheet that had been hung over Walburga Black's portrait.

"It's gone," Hermione said. That made her … smile.

"It is. Harry had her brought to the attic and told her if he heard one word out of her he'd burn her."

"He didn't!"

"He did."

"Wow," Hermione said. In Walburga's place was a nice landscape. It certainly was more welcoming than Walburga's face had been. It seemed to be magical as the water flowed and birds could be seen flying. It looked at the moment like a breeze was passing through as the blades of grass  and visible flowers were swaying gently.

"So that means you no longer have an excuse not to come over anytime that you want."

"Ginny, that's not why I didn't come here."

"I know, Harry knows. He wants you to know, though. We've been trying to do what we could to keep the home the way it was while making it our own. It's a nice house, but Morgana it was awful in some places."

"It was," Hermione said, remembering that from their time staying here years ago.

She could still picture bringing Yaxley with them when they retrieved Slytherin's locket. She shuddered thinking about it. How different those months might have been if they'd been able to stay here even just a little bit longer. She sighed. There was no use thinking about it. The three of them knew they'd have to leave eventually.

"Hey," Ginny said, setting her hand against Hermione's shoulder. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I was just thinking about something. It's okay, Gin. Memories, you know?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't even think. You seemed fine at Christmas. I should have brought Evelynn back to you at your place."

"No, it's okay. It's just when we came here for Christmas I didn't really stop to think about things like that. I was so nervous about seeing you all for the first time and telling you that we were married." She reached for Ginny, grabbing her hand and squeezing tight. "I'm fine. I promise. We were so young, though," she said, thinking about the three of them contending with that evil locket. She shuddered.

"Next time…"

"Next time, Evelynn and I will come here!"

"Okay. Some friend. I didn't even think."

"Harry's okay," Hermione asked.

"Yeah, for the most part. He'd hate us talking about him, but our husbands are alike in that I guess. He has dreams sometimes, but there have been fewer with time."

"Good," Hermione said. Her nightmares were dwindling, too. Severus still had them fairly regularly, but they didn't seem as intense as they were when they'd first gotten married. "And Ron?"

"I don't know. Mum hasn't said and if he's not sleeping no one says anything to me about it."

"I guess of the three of us, he'd be the one to be better faster." She held up her hand. "I don't mean that in a bad way. I just think he's less serious than Harry and I are so he probably has ways to cope that we don't."

"I get it, and I'm not offended. Don't worry, it would take more than that to make me mad at you."

"Okay," Hermione said, running a fingertip along the frame of the landscape that was in Walburga's place. She smiled wickedly.

"I see that look," Ginny said. "There's that vindictive streak we all know is there. You're thinking about her in the attic, aren't you?"

"I am," Hermione said.

It was time to go, Evelynn would be waking up soon most likely and hungry. Hermione knew people who did it, but she wasn't comfortable feeding her outside of their rooms yet. She imagined once she started school that might change, but for now she did what was comfortable for her. 

"Okay, thank you for tea and for watching her while we finished. Evelynn's going to need me soon so I'm going to head home. You let me know as soon as little James makes his presence known."

"One of us will."

Ginny reached in and ran her thumb along Evelynn's forehead and sighed softly.

"Have a good night."

"You, too. Tell Harry hello," Hermione said, making her way to the fireplace so she could return home.

"I will, of course."

Hermione waved before tossing the floo powder in and calling out their quarters.



"So are Evelynn and James to be married as soon as they graduate Hogwarts? Or are we giving them a year or two afterward to find their footing in the adult world first?"

Hermione laughed softly, kissing the top of Evelynn's head as she moved to sit on the sofa nearest Severus. He, of course, had chosen not to accompany her to Grimmauld Place to fetch Evelynn from Ginny. He used the excuse of staying behind the building to ensure everything was in order but she knew.

"Neither. I figured maybe Evelynn will be really cutting edge and go for their daughter when she comes."

"Oh, I see, a younger woman."

"Well, it would keep in line with her parents, wouldn't you say?"

"Ouch," he said.

"What's hurtful about that? I am, in fact, younger than you."

"Yes, but I didn't go for you. Not in the proper sense anyway."

"Mm, so you would have proposed marriage to anyone?"

"Of course not. You were tolerable company."

"Glowing endorsement for wedded bliss."

"This isn't going to turn into an argument, is it? I was teasing, Hermione. Truly."

"So was I, so no argument. We are not betrothing them to one another before either of them can walk."

"That is shockingly fantastic news. I will sleep easier tonight, for certain."

"You'll sleep easier because I'm still not comfortable using you as an outlet for these hormones."

He chuckled. "You act as though we have engaged in no activities."

"Well, no, but I know it's frustrating."

"You just had a child, Hermione. I realize there are physical limitations as a result of that. I am not frustrated. You have been more than accommodating. If you haven't noticed, I enjoy touching my witch."

"I have."

She just felt exhausted and not at all attractive. She had of course done for him the same as he had for her the past couple of weeks. She knew it wasn't the same.

"How is she?" he asked, taking a moment to peer at their daughter.

"Sleeping, but she'll be awake soon I'm sure."

"Did you want to rest until then? I can sit with her while you do."

"Are you sure? You're not busy?"

"I think I can manage," he said wryly.

"I know you can, but I know you're preparing."

"I can prepare some things while she's sleeping just fine. Go, rest."

"Should I be worried that you're going to use her to get Sybil's affections even more?"

He scoffed.

"Yes, that is indeed my plan and has been all along. You've caught me. I mean, I wouldn't want to have a child with that crazy bat, but letting her raise someone else's would work out incredibly well I'm sure."

"I swear every time she sees me that she's going to hex me, or spike my drink."

"She wouldn't dare."

"No?"

"No, she's seen me angry."

"That would make you angry?"

He snorted with a shake of his head. "Only slightly, yes."

"Well, it's better than barely."

"She will not hurt a hair on your head so long as I have breath in my body. Now go rest, Witch. I will bring her to you as soon as she needs the sustenance only you can provide."

"God, if you could find a potion for that!"

He chuckled no doubt realizing she was joking. "I'll be sure to work on that."

"I mean, there's formula, of course…"

"Go, now, or I will do it for you."

She huffed. "Excuse me for wanting to talk to you."

"This isn't talking, Madam Snape, this is rambling. Go! You are still healing and need your rest. If you truly wish to discuss potion options for nursing or some such later I will of course do so."

"Fine," she said, but she smiled cheekily and left to go to their room.

She loved their bedroom.

They'd worked on it first to make it a little more … comfortable than it had been. He had not scrimped on his bedding, though. She imagined when you were getting little sleep you would want to ensure what you did get was sufficient. The bedding was still green, she couldn't talk him out of that. It was new and there were signs of life here where there hadn't been when he'd first shown her the rooms.

A picture of them from their vows at her church by their bed. A picture of her he'd taken unbeknownst to her on campus one day shortly after they'd married. A picture of her very pregnant by the lake. A picture of him holding Evelynn for the first time. He'd refused for the first day or two, saying he was too rough. True, he wasn't accustomed to being gentle, but she knew from their months of foreplay before they'd actually gotten to sex that he could in fact be tender and soft.

Now, he still wasn't overly comfortable but he no longer insisted on her being nearby when he took her.

She slid onto his side of the bed. She never rested well if she tried to use her side without him anymore. His pillow smelled like him and she could pretend while she closed her eyes that he was there instead. The first time she realized this she tried figuring out when it had happened. When had she become reliant on him for something as basic as sleep! She had no idea.

She drifted off to the sounds of Severus reading from one of his journals to Evelynn. The child didn't stand a chance of not knowing what beetle eyes were used for before she could walk. (He certainly couldn't read from the Defense Against the Dark Arts texts he reasoned when she'd asked him about his choice in reading material.)

Return to Top


***Chapter Thirteen***

Another school year started.

It was not at all like his previous first day.

It should have been familiar. He hadn't been gone that long.

It was new to Severus as he was teaching under very different circumstances than his previous experience had been. There was no duplicity in play here. He was free to … teach.

Hermione for her part was in a different world, too, working on her doctorate.

As it turned out they hardly used their rental house, and they'd talked about getting out of it entirely once the year was done. However, for Hermione to go to school she needed an official address. An unplottable magical castle was not going to work. He still had the Spinners End property, but he refused to have her use that as her address.

The sitter Andromeda recommended, Patrice, was working out splendidly. She took good care of Evelynn without overstepping her boundaries as a caregiver versus being a parent. Ginevra was backup if needed, but all had agreed not having to transport children (whether it be Evelynn or James) daily was easiest. As Patrice was willing to stay on they'd left it as is.

No hard feelings, which had been Hermione's fear when she and Severus had discussed keeping Patrice on.

Severus being in the building where Patrice and Evelynn were helped immensely. He was only a patronus away if something urgent truly came up.

To this point it had not. Neither knew nothing about babies really, but thought they'd done very well for themselves when compared to other babies they'd seen. No colic or any other issues.

Hermione had a late start today and decided after breakfast to stop in and observe Severus' class before heading out.

She'd seen his lesson plans and everything, but there was something different about seeing it playing out for real. And, in truth, she loved watching him do the foolish wand waving he made look so regal.

She slipped into the room, but not unnoticed by him. The students noticed, too. It was his third year Slytherin and Hufflepuffs, so her presence was met by a pretty drastic difference. The Hufflepuffs regarded her with interest. She had married this wizard. This former spy. The Slytherins did, too, but in a very different way. They were analyzing just what Severus Snape was getting out of a marriage to her.

She'd wondered that a few times, too, when he'd first proposed marriage to her. There had to be more for him than simply the potential for an heir. He could get that anywhere! From anyone! He could do it if he wanted to without the conventions of marriage. He was Severus Snape and had taken to living in the muggle world.

"Good morning, class," she said since everyone had stopped listening to him anyway. "Master Snape," she said with a polite bow of her head in his direction.

"Madam Snape," he drawled.

There was a glimmer in his eye that absolutely did not belong in a classroom. How anyone could look into them and see nothing but coldness or evil she did not understand. Right now she was getting tingly in places she had no business having happen right now. She had to go to school and he'd also done a very thorough job of taking care of her before Evelynn had woken and they had breakfast this morning.

"Do you not have other commitments this morning?"

"Actually, no, not for a couple of hours so I thought I'd come see what we're learning today."

"Excellent," he said.

She noticed a couple of mouths agape at his response. There was no sarcasm behind it. This was not the Severus Snape these third years had heard rumors about. He turned his attention to the students.

"Shall we show my wife what we're working on today then?"

There were a couple of giggles and scoffs heard before they went about doing just that.



"Off to class now?" he asked once the classroom was empty except them.

"Yes."

"This was unexpected," he admitted.

"Unexpectedly bad?" she asked and he could hear the uncertainty in her voice.

"No, it was … nice," he said.

He hated using that word, but it had been nice to see that she took an interest in what he was doing. She could have stayed in their rooms and spent her additional time with Evelynn. She did not. Not that it was a competition, but it made him feel almost giddy inside that she'd chosen him.

"It was. I think it's important, too, that they see you are, in fact, human."

"Ulterior motives then, Wife?"

"No, but they've heard stories. Probably dramatic and embellished, but stories nonetheless. They need to see you're real, just the same as everyone else."

"Harry has the same problem."

"Harry did not disappear for essentially four years."

"True," he said.

"All right," she said, standing on her tiptoes to kiss him. "Have a good day."

"You, too," he said as his next class started to filter in. These were sixth years so not too far removed from her own days as a student here. He wondered how she felt about that.

"Try not to hex anyone, honey," she said with a wink.

He shook his head with a scoff. "I will try to refrain."

"Be good for Professor Snape, class. I think he might actually be in a good mood this morning!"

"What my wife fails to realize is that you lot can change my mood rather quickly," he said.

"Which is why I suggested they be good so they can enjoy your good mood and let the next class ruin it instead."

"All right, Madam Wife, off with you to your own studies. We don't want your professors in a bad mood today either. Do we, hmm?"

"Of course, Severus," she said.

She rarely called him Severus in front of students. Then again he didn't really go out of his way to call her Hermione in front of them either. He wasn't sure why. Everyone by this point in the school year knew they were married and had a child.

Evelynn and Hermione were favorites out by the lake on weekends. Occasionally he'd join them, but while the weather was holding up Saturdays and Sundays one could usually spot Hermione and an appropriately dressed Evelynn on the lawn. Hermione with a book in her hands, of course, while Evelynn enjoyed the fresh air and the occasional butterfly or what have you that landed on her nose.

As September turned into October Evelynn's outdoor attire had certainly changed despite the fact it was still appropriate to bring her outside. In September it had been heavier weight, long sleeved clothes and a bonnet. Now, the bonnet was replaced by an actual hat and the clothes were covered by a jacket. And leggings if she wore a dress that day.

It was interesting to watch this and how Hermione just seemed to know what to do in these circumstances. She didn't laugh at him or anything when he asked questions.

Why does she need a hat when a bonnet was suitable a week ago?

Why does she need leggings under a skirt?

Why does she need sunscreen even when it's cloudy?

Why do you put shoes on her feet when she isn't walking?

Having never been around babies for any length of time he just didn't know and felt incredibly … dumb for a change that he had to ask such questions. Some of her answers were simply "because that's what you do, Severus". So, she didn't really know either, just that was what her parents did for her so it was what she knew.



He was called up to the headmistress' office before lunch as he dismissed his class. He was in a pretty good mood if he wanted to be honest with himself. That was certainly new compared to previous school years. He'd started the day in a most pleasing way with his wife followed by breakfast with said wife and their daughter. She'd taken time out of her day to visit him in class, to let his students know however discreetly that she cared. That she wanted to be a part of his life.

So, he was not expecting the absolutely violent reaction to seeing Minerva holding his daughter on her lap behind that desk.

"Why is she here?" he asked.

"Patrice wanted tea, Severus," Minerva said.

"That does not answer my question, Minerva. There are rules in place. She is not to be in this office."

"Severus," she said.

"And where is Patrice?" This question came when it was dreadfully obvious their sitter was not present in the office. That meant his daughter was alone here!

"I told her I was sending for you so she could go back to your rooms and you'd bring little Evelynn with you when we were finished."

"No," he said. "I will fire her the next time this happens."

"Severus, my boy," Albus said from his portrait.

He wasn't in it, Severus observed, but he was clearly close enough to hear what was going on. That was exactly why he did not want his daughter in this office. Ever. If he took over as headmaster, Albus' portrait would be moved somewhere that was not this office.

"Do not," he said sharply. "Give me my daughter and do not attempt such subterfuge again or I will leave, Minerva. I don't need this job. I don't need you."

"You need Hogwarts, Severus."

"That may be, but I have survived four years without it. I will again. My child, any of them, are not allowed in his presence. Did I not make myself clear when we talked about my returning?"

"He's not here, Severus. He's just a portrait. He wanted to see your daughter."

"I do not care what he wants. When he asks you to kill him, to soil a part of your soul for him, when he asks you to watch after and protect a child only so that said child can be slaughtered later. My only friend's son! Well, then you can talk to me. Until then, keep him away from my wife and daughter."

"It's not Minnie's fault, Severus."

Evelynn started fussing then, likely because she'd never really had the occasion to hear raised voices until now. Yes, she'd been around boisterous Weasleys and Potters, but that was a different sound even Severus knew that.

"I am not speaking to him. I'm speaking to you, and my deal was with you, Headmistress. This office is off limits. Now give her to me and I will talk to Patrice."

"You are going to scare her if you go to her like this, Severus. Really. You'd think I…"

"Went against my only stipulation for returning? Yes, yes I think that you did precisely that. You're lucky I don't clear out now."

"Severus. You can't avoid…"

"I can avoid his portrait for as long as I damned well please."

He strode to her then, taking Evelynn from her who had worked herself into quite the fit now. She didn't cry uncontrollably often, but when she did she certainly let him and Hermione know that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her lungs. He settled his hand at the back of her head and bounced her slightly the way that she liked. He wasn't sure it would work now because this was a different kind of fit.

"I trusted you, Headmistress," he hissed. "You gave me your word."

"I'm sorry, Severus, months in I didn't think…"

"Obviously, you did not think. We'll leave it at that or I am liable to say something I can't take back nor apologize for later. If this happens again I will be out of here. Are we clear? There is no months in or years in. I will not change my mind about that egomaniac seeing my children. For filling their heads with tales of how I don't truly love their mother or she is second best to a dead witch I was never involved with and haven't loved for almost twenty years who happens to be the mother of my wife's best friend. Do you not see the problem here, Minerva? I do not want him meddling in my life or that of my wife or children. The Dark Lord was defeated and my role as spy has been completed; he no longer has the right or control over me."

She huffed, he saw tears in her eyes and for a fraction of a second he felt bad. Overall, he liked Minerva once he got past his experiences with her as a professor while he was a student here.

He took his leave then. It was, he had to admit, almost like the past. Students and staff alike scrambling to get out of his way. The only difference this time was the gentle way he held his daughter as he stalked through the halls.

He had calmed some when he got to their rooms in the dungeons. He knew this only because he did not slam the door behind him. He laid Evelynn down in her crib before returning to the sitting area.

"I understand Minerva can be very convincing, Patrice, but if I did not make my objections obvious to my child being anywhere near that office. Let me try again here and now. Evelynn is not, under any circumstances, to be in that office. If Minerva requires your presence for some unearthly reason, she can come here or meet you somewhere other than that office. Given that you are not staff here and are in fact employed by me and my wife not Hogwarts she should have no need to need you in that office. You, on your time, can do as you wish. If you wish to visit her in that office then please do so on your own time."

"I didn't know…"

"I realize. It is not Minerva nor the office itself I have issue with. It is a portrait in it that I don't want to have any interference with my life any longer. That includes interaction with my children."

"I apologize, Master Snape."

"Will it happen again?"

"No, Sir, of course not," she said. The fact this woman who was Andromeda's age was calling him sir made him chuckle inside.

"Then no need for apologies. You care for Evelynn very well from what my wife and I observe."

"She's a joy to care for."

"She does seem to be rather that," he said. "As I have no other babies to compare her to, it's hard for me to know if I'm suitably objective. I do find Potter's infant tolerable as well, but I don't find I'm as indulgent of his crying fits as I am Evelynn's."

The witch smirked at that. "That is normal, I believe."

"Thank you," he said. He hadn't been looking for that confirmation really, but it was nice to receive it nonetheless. "I will return to my day now. If the headmistress gives you any difficulty as a result of this morning please inform my wife or me and we will take care of it. She can be quite convincing when she wants to be, I am aware of this."

"Of course."

"Thank you."

He shook his head before stopping to look in on Evelynn one last time before he headed back to his classroom for the rest of the day. Oh, would he have dinner conversation for Hermione tonight.

Return to Top


***Chapter Fourteen***

"Why exactly are we here, Sir?"

"Severus," he said dryly.

"Okay, sure. Why are we here, Severus?"

"Because I need a gift for my wife and daughter and am not sure what to get either of them."

"Oh, well, Evelynn won't care what you get her. She's a baby. A stuffed animal or something will go over well."

"And Hermione?"

"What have you thought of getting her?"

"Well, I thought of going to her university's bookstore and buying her …"

"No," Harry said with a smile.

Severus scowled at the smile. That meant the wizard was laughing at him. At his incompetence at not even knowing what to buy for his wife. It hadn't mattered before. He always put thought into her gifts, but this was different. They were back in the wizarding world, for one. And, second, she had given him a daughter. He knew that deserved more than a book.

"I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm sure she'd love whatever book you pick out for her. I think you'd know very well what would appeal to her. She's like that, you know, would never complain. Clearly you realize that's not what you should buy her, though."

"It's her first Christmas as a mother."

"Right," Harry said.

Severus watched as Harry glanced around at the muggle mall, his eyes honing in on a jewelry store.

"Well, how about something she can wear."

"What do you mean?"

Severus knew what he meant, of course. Harry likely was aware, too, but said nothing.

Thankfully.

Harry led him in that direction. Severus had only been in a jewelry store once in his life. To buy Hermione's wedding band before he'd given her the one she wore now. He was completely out of his element.

It still seemed somewhat unreal to him that he had a witch and a daughter to buy jewelry for. He never imagined he would be the type of wizard to buy trinkets and yet as he eyed the various items in the window display he found nothing there that came close to equaling her worth.

"Well, you could give her something like a necklace with a pendant that has Evelynn's birthstone. Or I know Dudley's grandmum had this bracelet that had the silhouettes of girls and boys heads on it. I think it was his dad's mum because I wasn't on the bracelet. Anyway, Dudley's head had his name on one side of the boy's head and his birthdate on the other."

"Mm," he said.

"All you've given her is that wedding ring to this point, right?"

"Yes," Severus hissed softly.

Was that wrong? Was that some error he didn't know about? He didn't know these things. It's not as if his parents had gifted one another trinkets and baubles. Hermione didn't seem the type to want a different diamond for every day of the week.

"Don't panic. I'm just making sure. I don't see her wearing anything but the ring so assumed that was the case. So, you could get her anything, really, and it will be special. It's Hermione so I'd go with something like a necklace or bracelet. Maybe a ring for her other hand, or another finger on her left hand. Earrings are probably out."

"Why?" He actually … liked earrings.

"Who would ever see them?" Harry asked and Severus nodded in understanding. That made sense and was not something Severus thought of. Unless they were going to be going to balls or outings routinely where her hair was up, earrings were a useless purchase.

They browsed.

"Oh," Harry said, seeing a silver porringer and spoon in a display case. "This would be nice."

"For Evelynn," Harry clarified, obviously having seen Severus' arched eyebrow.

"Oh," Severus said, regarding the items.

He nodded simply, filing them away in his mind as an idea. He could always come back, or go to another jeweler if he decided to go that route. He was more concerned about his wife's gift than Evelynn's.

Jewelry for Hermione did make sense, though.

He decided on a necklace for her with a pearl pendant. It was elegant and pretty yet simple. It was something she could wear with a dress or the muggle T-shirts she liked to wear around their rooms on weekends.

"So, how is being a father suiting you, Harry?" Severus asked as they made their way out of the mall. He had more than one idea for Evelynn, but would take a day or two to think about it. Harry had stopped to purchase a couple of muggle items for Ginevra and James.

"I like it. It's a little nerve wrecking, though, isn't it?"

"How do you mean?"

Severus found it incredibly so, but wondered what Harry's thoughts were behind it. It wasn't as if he had anyone else to discuss their respective infants and the … nerve wreckingness of it.

"Well, I don't have an example. I mean Vernon wasn't a dad to me at all. So, I have this child I'm responsible for doing things with and I really don't know the first thing about what a dad is supposed to do with his child."

"I know this thought process well. I had a father, of course, but he was not anyone I want to model my fathering after. I do what Hermione tells me to do with her," he said simply.

"Really?" Harry asked.

"Really. This surprises you?"

"I don't know. Kind of."

"I am not good with fragile things, Harry. Evelynn is about the most fragile thing I've handled. So if Hermione tells me that doing this or that is acceptable then I do it."

"But if she were a potion ingredient…"

"Oh, that I'd have no qualms about handling," he said with a low chuckle.

"It's nice to hear you laugh, Severus."

"It is remarkably nice to have something to laugh about. That wasn't the case for years. Too many."

"I imagine that was rather lacking in your life for quite some time and then I came along and didn't help make it any easier."

Severus shrugged. "I can admit I did not handle your presence well, Harry. I'd spent ten years dreading seeing James' son."

"I'm Lily's son, too."

"I know that. Now."

"Does it bother you I named him James?"

"Are you going to raise him to be a pompous arsed bully?"

"Of course not."

"Then it shan't bother me in the least. In fact, I look forward to a James Potter raised right and being a productive member of wizarding society."

"I'm sorry," Harry said.

"Whatever for?"

"For all of that. I mean, obviously I wasn't around for it, but no one deserves what any of them did. I'm sorry."

"Oh, Harry, you have nothing to apologize for. I wasn't entirely blameless either. I wasn't the most … pleasant fellow, and it turned out they were right as to their concerns about me. Obviously."

"Yes, but…"

"No buts, Harry. We could what if and if this had happened this way until we're gray-haired wizards. Your apology while unnecessary is appreciated. Thank you."

"And, if I may be so bold."

"What's stopped you until now?"

Harry scoffed. "Mum would have forgiven you. Long ago."

"I hope so, Harry. The idea that I was at all involved in harm coming to her is a weight I carried for many years."

"He would have found out anyway. Or if he didn't, more people would be dead because he wouldn't have known to focus on Neville and me."

"Quite," Severus said, having thought about that.

He doubted there was anything anyone could tell him that hadn't already occurred to him at some point or another the past twenty plus years.

"Are we done with the heart-to-heart for today?"

"Yes, I'm sorry. I just don't get you alone very often."

"Indeed."

"I'm sure that's by design on your part, but you invited me today so."

"Taking advantage of my moment of weakness?"

"Yes."

"Anything else you wish to apologize for?"

Harry laughed then. "No."

"And Harry," he said.

"Yes?"

"You are a better friend than either of your parents ever was. You recognize that Hermione and Ron are human and will make mistakes, sometimes hurtful ones. James and any other child you may have could do far worse than you for a father."

"You're not under the Imperius or anything are you?"

"No, not today."

"Thank you."

"And thank you for accompanying me without question on this task."

"It's Christmas shopping, it's not a task."

"It's a task, Potter."

"Mm," he said. "If you say so."

"I do," he said.

"I have a question," Harry said as they got to the apparition point. He'd go to Grimmauld Place where Severus would return to Hogwarts.

"Yes?"

"Did we spend a couple of hours together and get along?"

"It would seem so."

"Kind of like … friends. Wouldn't you say?"

"I suppose so," Severus said, unable to disagree with the conclusion.

"Huh," he said, smiling widely. "So I can tell the guys from work that I hung out with a friend today. Cool. They always ask what I do on weekends and I never have anything good to tell them. Ginny and James. I think they are beginning to think the great Harry Potter has no life. That's embarrassing! So, Christmas shopping in muggle London with a friend is a nice change of pace. Thanks!"

And then he was gone, leaving Severus to mutter to himself about reconsidering his answer to the last couple of questions after all.

Friends with Harry Potter.

He knew when he and Hermione had married that it was inevitable the boy would be around eventually. Granted, it had happened a little sooner than he'd expected it to.

He could only hope that he was in fact right about Harry being a better friend than both his parents were. James was really no great prize when it came to friendship either. He certainly hadn't helped Peter or Black when all was said and done. Pettigrew betrayed him. Black ended up in Azkaban for years. Lupin was the only one who might have been okay, but he hadn't been as bad as James and Sirius had been to begin with.

Remus had wanted to be accepted. He'd found it, sadly, with bullies.

Severus had wondered more than once during the 1993-94 school year how his life, and Remus', might have been different if Remus had realized someone as good at potions as Severus was may have been a good friend to have back when they were students. Severus could have brewed wolfsbane for him as soon as the release of the potion was discovered. He wouldn't have been confined to the Shrieking Shack for more full moons than were necessary at any rate.

And yet, Severus realized with the wolfsbane potion a factor in Remus' life earlier than it was, things might have gone very differently. He and Nymphadora may not have gotten together and there would be no Edward Lupin. Severus had seen the young boy more than once recently and had to admit that he was a good boy. Smart. He liked asking Severus questions even at so young of an age. Hell, with a Gryffindor on his side he may not have been taken in by the Dark Lord's rhetoric.

Severus huffed.

Pretty to think about. Once upon a time he'd wished for a different life, but if he'd taken a different path he wouldn't have Hermione. Or Evelynn. And that idea bothered him more than just a little bit.

As he told Harry he could "what if" himself to death about pretty much his entire existence. It would get him nowhere.

No matter how shitty his life had been, no matter the mistakes he'd made (and he'd made numerous of them). He had a wife and daughter he loved with all of his heart. And who loved him in return. Well, Evelynn didn't know any better yet, but Severus vowed to do nothing to make his daughter change her mind on that.

He made his way to Hogwarts. A benefit of once being headmaster and the castle still apparently recognizing him as such, he could apparate directly into their rooms (and something that drove Hermione batty because she wanted to know how it worked. How the castle knew such things and could differentiate between people). It was chilly enough this evening that it was a welcome shortcut.

And, yes, he could admit it was welcome to get home to his wife sooner.

Return to Top


***Chapter Fifteen***
September 2007

It was Thursday, they’d been married eight years today. That also meant that she was now twenty-eight since her birthday was the day before. She still laughed when she thought about the fact it hadn’t even occurred to her that he’d have it either very easy remembering her birthday and their anniversary or he’d be in trouble gloriously every September.

He had yet to forget.

Tomorrow they were going on another trip. And, little did Severus know yet, they would hopefully accomplish the same thing they’d done on their last anniversary trip. Without the no orgasms for Hermione. She hoped not any rate.

“Mummy," Evelynn said, running toward her with her still somewhat clumsy five-year-old legs.

“There’s my sweetheart. Did you have a good day?"

“Yes," she said.

“Good. Are you excited to go stay with Auntie Ginny and Uncle Harry for a few days."

“Yes, but I don’t want James to pull my hair," she said.

She liked her hair in braids. Two full braids along each side of her dark hair. She had some wave, but not like her mother’s. Hermione thanked the stars that was the case.

“Well, I’ll be sure to tell Ginny and Harry to watch out for that. Frederick doesn’t pull your hair?"

“No, sometimes as an accident."

“By accident, but that’s good that you understand he doesn’t mean to," she said.

Frederick was two to Evelynn and James’ five so accidents did happen with things like hair and earrings and whatever else he could get into his hands or mouth.

“Where’s Daddy?"

“His office. Can I come with you?"

“Sure," she said.

Evelynn knew the way so didn’t need to hold her mum’s hand anymore, but she always did when they walked from their rooms in the dungeons to his classroom or office. She didn’t care for the stone steps much.

She was quite popular with the students who all knew her by now, except the first years she supposed. Evelynn could be seen following Severus around the castle like a little shadow when he wasn’t teaching. She took breakfast and lunch with him at the head table some days and if Hermione knew she was going to be late, dinner, too.

So, it was no surprise to Hermione as they walked through the halls that several students bid her daughter hello with a hello to the girl’s mother almost as an afterthought. Hermione would take offense except she knew she wasn’t seen here as much.

“Hallo, ‘fesser Filius," Evelynn said as they passed Filius in the halls. Filius was one of Evelynn’s favorites. Hermione suspected it was in part because of his height. Her daughter loved adults, this adult though wasn’t quite as much taller than her as the other adults in her life.

“Young mistress Snape. How are you? We missed you at breakfast today."

“Did you not have breakfast?"

“Nope," she said. “Daddy and I ate in our rooms." This was said in a whisper. An attempt of one anyway. The amused look on Filius’ face suggested he’d heard her and perhaps this wasn’t the first time Daddy and Evelynn had eaten in their rooms instead of the great hall.

“Oh, I see," Hermione said, wondering what brought that on. She’d left for her day and it sure looked as if Severus and Evelynn were ready for their days.

Evelynn settled closer to Hermione’s side and tugged on the waist of her robes.

“I wanted chocolate pancakes," she whispered. This was a true whisper, so she knew no one was supposed to hear it. Chocolate pancakes were not something she was supposed to get during the week.

“Oh," she said. Now she saw exactly what had happened. “Daddy let you have those during the week?"

She nodded, biting her lower lip just as Hermione did. It was eerie to see her habits reflected back at her. “I’m not s’posed to tell," she said.

“No, I imagine you aren’t. I won’t tell either, okay. Were they good?"

Hermione didn’t really care that he indulged the girl her love of chocolate chip pancakes during the week. It was just that the chocolate and syrup (because she had to have both) tended to make her rather high strung. They’d learned that with Patrice and agreed chocolate pancakes would be a once in a while weekend treat.

“Mm hmm," Evelynn said.

“Well, I’m glad. And school?"

“Fine," she said.

She was bored because the rudimentary things like writing letters and recognizing numbers she’d been doing for almost two years now was tedious. She and Severus were trying to cure her boredom by giving her more challenging things at home that wouldn’t make the next year boring as well. It was a fine line to walk. They wanted her to love school, didn’t want her so far ahead of her peers that she didn’t want to go. Or to where she was bullied or made fun of because she knew it all already.

“Good," she said.

Evelynn set her hand at the door when they’d arrived at Severus’ office. It recognized her, of course, and opened for her straight away.

“Ah, there are the Snape ladies," Severus said. “I was beginning to think you weren’t coming home tonight."

He was teasing her, of course. He knew damn well she was looking forward to this long weekend as much as he was.

“No, I just had to ensure everything was done. I don’t want to come back on Tuesday to work that I left for myself. It’s been a busy week."

She was based out of St. Mungo’s, but since she was new at this and it was new to the wizarding world she pretty much went where she was needed. If a healer had someone they thought she should see who wouldn’t come to her, Hermione went to them. Being this far removed from the war there weren’t as many students with issues as there had been three and four years ago. Not that students didn’t have their own set of problems without the war in play. They did, of course, and Poppy knew that Hermione would always make time, weekends and evenings even, if a student needed it.

No student would fall through the cracks or feel as if Hermione couldn’t make time for them.

To this point, it was going … well.

Slow.

Magical people were suspect, and her services weren’t exactly ones people were going to run out and tell others about her helping them. It wasn’t like a chiropractor or something. These were proud people who would have to admit to wanting to talk to a third party about whatever was on their minds. They would be admitting to others they were unable to cope without assistance, which could appear weak to a group of people who when all was said and done were quite proud. However, St. Mungo’s and the others who referred their patients to her did follow up with the patients she saw for feedback and such. That was how she got new patients.

“Understandable. I admit I’ll be doing much the same thing this evening."

“Would you like help?"

“I can’t ask you to help me when you had a full day’s work yourself."

“Well, you didn’t ask me, I offered. I want you relaxed this weekend, too."

“Very well," he said. “Are you off to your aunt and uncle’s house now, Evelynn?"

“Yes, Sir."

“Good. You behave and mind your manners. Most of all, have fun."

“I will," she said with a slight pout, scraping her black patent leather shoe against the floor.

“I wish I had another girl to play with like I do at school."

“Well, we can’t really do anything about that. Harry and Ginny only have sons, but perhaps one weekend we can have one of your friends over."

“Really?" she asked, brightening at the thought.

She attended primary school with other magical children in Hogsmeade, some were children of other professors and staff. They just didn’t live in the castle. Hermione hadn’t realized that was even an option. She was learning many things about Hogwarts and the magical world being on this end of things. No doubt Evelynn was learning them, too, growing up at Hogwarts as she was.

“We’ll have to see, and we’d probably do just a day to start with. I’m not sure your mum and I are ready for more than that."

“Okay," she said.

“All right. I’ll see you Monday before bed. Remember when Monday is?" They’d been through this because Evelynn was quite distraught at being separated for days from her parents.

She held up four fingers. “Four sleeps."

“Right," Severus also held up four fingers, wiggling them slightly which made Evelynn giggle. “Then we’ll be back."

She’d never been separated from them for more than one night at a time. So this would be a true test. Of course, it helped that James was her age. She was pretty sure Harry had arranged for Teddy to come at least for one of the days if not a night. And who knows, maybe Ginny would realize Evelynn would like a girl to play with and invite Victorie, too.

“Love you, Daddy," she said as he bent down to receive a hug and a kiss from his daughter.

“Daddy loves his girl, too."

She held up four of her small fingers again as she drew away from Severus. There were unshed tears shimmering in the young witch’s eyes. Hermione tried not to let it bother her that Evelynn seemed more upset about being away from her father for four sleeps than her mother. There were no tears about separation from mummy.

“I will see you shortly I assume then, Hermione, sans child?"

“Yes," she said, blushing a bit and Severus chuckled.

“I see your mind is right in line with mine. Excellent. Hurry then, Madam Snape, away with you and our daughter. Four sleeps undisturbed sounds incredibly titillating to your husband."

“Same," she said, taking Evelynn’s hand. Evelynn turned, looking over her shoulder and waved to Severus with her other hand. Hermione was pretty sure Severus didn’t hear the quiet little sob that Evelynn choked out as they started their journey to Grimmauld Place via floo.



“This is … nice," she said much later on the floor in their sitting room.

“I’m not sure I’d describe what we just did as nice, but if you want to."

She laughed softly, settling her head against his shoulder.

“I have a question for you."

“Mm hmm," he said, fingers going through her hair.

“Can we not use the charm this weekend?"

“Mm, is it time for a brother or sister then?"

“I think so," she said.

“I would be agreeable to that."

“I haven’t taken my potion so…"

“I see. You were assuming I’d agree."

“Well, yes, but I didn’t want to say something and then we have to wait a month."

“That would have been disappointing indeed." He chuckled, kissing her. “Of course there’s nothing saying it will be as easy as the first time."

“You think so?"

“It depends on how much time we spend out of our room I guess."

“I like the sound of that."

“And we still have time tonight to add to the chances."

“True," she said. “Anywhere other than the floor you want to increase those chances on?"

“Wherever you go, Witch, I follow." He laughed then. “We didn’t use a charm that time."

“No, you could have cast it afterward if you were really opposed."

He shrugged his shoulder a bit so she’d look at him. She lifted her head to do just that. He wasn’t mad, but he was looking serious.

“After this one I would appreciate more of an actual conversation."

“I know, Severus."

“I’m not trying to be difficult. We had mentioned two the first time we discussed it and I’m not saying that I wouldn’t be agreeable to a third but I’d rather have the conversation about a third with clothes on and not having just enjoyed the temptation that is my wife’s body. I knew the day would be coming sooner or later now that your schooling is done and you’ve found work without needing the muggle world."

"Do you not want another?"

“I think Evelynn would do well with a sibling. One. I also won't deny that you pregnant was … quite fun."

She laughed softly, kissing his shoulder. “Are you suggesting that I’m not fun now, Husband?"

“I’m not sure. Do that again and I’ll let you know," he said as she did exactly as he asked and kissed his shoulder. That led to her kissing his neck, which then led to a second use of the floor.

She was pretty sure he thought she was still fun now.

Return to Top


***Chapter Sixteen***
January 2008

"You're still here, Hermione?" Poppy asked her.

She'd been putting the finishing touches on a few files of students she'd seen during the week. Hermione had balked about leaving the files here, but in the end she knew that Poppy protected her patients' privacy as much as Hermione did. In all of the times they'd talked the past few years she'd only hinted at having cared for Severus as a student. Hermione knew, of course, but the fact that the healer almost thirty years after his days as a student held that confidence told her a lot.

"I am. I was wondering if I could ask you a question."

"You know you can ask me anything, Dear. Is young Evelynn okay?"

"Oh, yes, she's wonderful. Excited for spring already, of course."

"Good. And Severus? I haven't seen him as a patient in years as you know, I'm sure."

"I think he prefers it that way. He still has some stiffness some days, his neck bothers him at times. He makes do."

"I'm glad. And he can make his own potions as required."

"Yes, of course. It's nothing like that. We're fine, all of us. Um," she said softly, wondering why she could talk to children about all sorts of things but then get flustered talking about herself.

"Do you need a cup of tea? Something stronger?"

"No!"

"Oh, I see. Well, talk to me then, Hermione. What's on your mind?"

"We've been trying for a brother or sister for Evelynn for a few months…"

"Ah," she said. "You conceived her easily, I presume?"

"Yes. Well, I mean," she cleared her throat and knew she was blushing again thinking back to the weekend Evelynn was conceived. "There were certainly no problems conceiving her when we set our minds to it."

Poppy smiled a bit, but said nothing. Her eyes, though. She was amused, yes, Hermione saw that there, but the woman was happy. For Severus more than likely, she realized. How many injuries, how many bouts of Cruciatus had she nursed him through?

"Would you like me to check? Is that your question? You think there might be something wrong?"

"Could you? I mean I can see it's possible I miscalculated ovulation one month, but I don't see how it's possible I messed up two or three in a row."

"Mm," she said, leading her out of her office and to a bed. "You're also a little older as is Severus. And you have stressors in your lives that likely weren't there then, too. Not to mention sometimes our bodies don't stick to a schedule. Go ahead and hop up on this bed so we can have a look. Add to that not everyone gets pregnant after the first attempt or two."

Hermione did and let Poppy run her diagnostics. It'd been years since she'd been tended to by the healer. She'd forgotten how pleasant her bedside manner was. Hogwarts was very lucky to have her. Truly. Being sick when away from home could be scary.

She understood it didn't happen immediately all of the time. Honestly, she was surprised it had happened so quickly and easily with Evelynn given the amount of times they'd been using the potion and charms. She'd run all of the diagnostics, though, and she wasn't incapable.

It was probably a good thing in the end because if she'd gotten pregnant in September he or she would have been born around Evelynn's birthday. As excited as Hermione expected Evelynn to be about becoming a big sister she would not relish the idea of sharing her day with said younger sister or brother. She was a bit of a prima donna. (A bit was putting it nicely. All of the professors and staff adored her and she knew it!)

Who would really?

They no longer had to worry about Hermione's school schedule so it didn't really matter when she got pregnant. She just wanted to know if she was doing something wrong.

"Everything seems fine, dear. In fact," she said, waving her wand over Hermione's abdomen one more time. "I think maybe you got a false negative. It can happen. Did you or Severus do it?"

"I did. I think after the second month he was…"

"Didn't want to see the disappointment in your eyes?"

"Yes."

"Well, it can be tricky doing it to yourself. Would you like to know what it is?"

"I," she said. She stared at the healer for a moment. She'd done the diagnostic wrong? She was pregnant? That was what she was saying. Wasn't it? "You're serious?"

She waved her wand and suddenly there were various things visible to Hermione above her abdomen. Blood pressure, heart rate, and so forth. Poppy pointed various things out that indicated she was with child. Some like the heart rate were doubled.

"Mm, so there you see. Yes. I'd say about four weeks? About the size of a poppy seed." The healer chuckled, obviously finding that play on her name and the food amusing. "Growing well, though, healthy so far. I can't tell much more than that at this stage. You ran the test so you must have suspected? I assume you were late?"

"Yes, the other months I wasn't. I just wanted to know as soon as possible. This time I told myself I wouldn't rush anything. In case."

"Diagnostics wouldn't alter anything, Hermione. You know that, but I understand the superstition behind the thought. Is that a yes or no to wanting to know?"

"I," she stared at the ceiling. Did she want to know? Would he be disappointed if it was another girl since he said he really didn't want more than two? Would it being a girl affect him wanting a third?

"Yes, I think I would like to."

Poppy chuckled lightly.

"Well, let's just say you'll be needing all new clothes for this one. I don't think pink will be quite as much his color as it is Mistress Evelynn's."

"Madam Pomfrey," someone called from the other room. "Come quick. Merrie isn't feeling well and she's green. Like literally green."

"Oh dear," Poppy said. And just like that she had gone from being the kind, matronly person who was more Hermione's friend these days to the serious, adept healer Hermione knew her to be. "Fix yourself, Dear." She squeezed Hermione's hand. "And be assured you are fine. Your little son there is fine. It just took a little while longer this time. It happens."

"Thank you, Poppy."

"You are welcome."

Hermione stood from the bed, fixed her clothes and sighed softly.

"What have you gotten into today, Miss Tilly," she heard Poppy ask. Hermione couldn't help but smirk a bit at that. She knew Miss Tilly quite well by now. She was … curious to put it kindly.

She slid her slippers on and made her way to the main room.

"Did you need help, Madam Pomfrey."

"I don't think so, Healer Snape. I'll see you tomorrow I imagine."

"You will."

It made Hermione giddy that people called her a healer. She knew she was healing her patients, just in a different way than the wizarding world was accustomed to. She had taken some healer courses at St. Mungo's and assisted Poppy more than a few times with medical situations since she wasn't squeamish. She wasn't a full-fledged healer, but between the rounds she'd done at St. Mungo's and with Poppy and her time on the run with Harry and Ron. Well, she could hold her own.

"And be sure to bear in mind what we talked about. You'll need to get some things from Professor Snape, too, I imagine."

"Yes, Ma'am," she said. She'd have to get the prenatal potions from Severus.

She made her way to the dungeons. She shivered a bit. It was always colder down here than the rest of the castle. She knew Severus was waiting for her to say she'd had enough of the cold dungeons. To this point, though, she liked being there. True, it was a bit dark and cold, but they were pretty much left to their own devices down here. Known spy or not, people didn't go out of their way to cross Severus Snape. She was surprised to see Evelynn sitting on the floor outside Severus' door when she got there.

"What are you doing out here, Sweetie?"

"Daddy had a student."

"Oh," she said. "He's working this late?"

"Mm hmm, he let me slice the mushrooms."

"Did he?" Hermione asked. She smiled a bit at that. She dropped her hand to her abdomen. She hoped Evelynn and their son knew how lucky they were to be taught such things by this man. Yes, he could be difficult and short but no matter what he taught them they could be assured that they would learn from one of the best.

"Yes," she said. She scrunched her nose a bit, making a face. "They're kind of squishy."

Hermione smiled a bit at that, stifling the laugh. Evelynn did not like being laughed at. "Yes, they can be."

She offered her hand to her daughter who took it and stood.

"Do you want to go into Daddy's office with me?"

She bit her lower lip lightly, shaking her head. She glanced up at Hermione with a pair of brown eyes that were lighter than her daddy's but darker than Hermione's.

"Daddy said to wait right here," she said. "Until Mr. Barris left. He hasn't left yet."

"I know he did and you obviously did a very good job of doing exactly what he asked. I should have known Daddy was still with his student if you were sitting here. I wasn't thinking. We can send him my otter."

Those brown eyes brightened in sheer excitement at that offer. Evelynn loved her otter.

"Oh, Mummy, can we?"

"Of course." She cast her patronus. Her otter squeaked and weaved excitedly, waiting for direction. "Tell her what to tell Daddy."

"Please tell Daddy that I went home with Mummy," she said. "Um, this is Evelynn Snape."

"Good girl," she said. Her otter dashed through the wall, not having far to go since they were right outside his office.

"Did you have a student, too, Mummy?"

"No, just files to update tonight."

"Did you see Madam Poppy?"

"I did."

"She knew Daddy a long time ago."

Hermione smirked. She was pretty sure Severus wouldn't like hearing it described like that. "Yes, she did, when Daddy was a student here."

"She knew you, too."

"She did."

"You were a cat?"

Hermione rolled her eyes with a shake of her head. "I was not a cat!"

She and Severus did both have registered animagus forms, but neither were cats. Hermione matched her patronus and was an otter. Severus ironically was a coyote. Ironic because coyotes tended to prey on otters.

"Oh." Evelynn sounded somewhat disappointed with Hermione's answer. She reached for Hermione's hand, squeezing and tugging on it a bit. Hermione stooped down and Evelynn set a hand on each of Hermione's cheeks. "Can we get a cat?"

"Oh, sweetie, let me talk to Daddy. I do miss having a cat."

"Crooks?"

"Yes," she said. "His name was Crookshanks, but Crooks is good enough."

"Uncle Harry says he was kind of ugly."

Hermione laughed. "He was kind of ugly, but he was loyal and mine. I'll talk to Daddy."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now, let's get you a bath and ready for bed."

"Not tired."

"You're up past your bedtime."

"Hi Evelynn," a first year Slytherin said as he passed them. Judging by the books he held, Hermione guessed he was going to his common room from the library. "Madam Snape."

"Hi, Flip," Evelynn said.

"Philip," Hermione corrected. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right. Good night, Ma'am."

"Good night."

"Flip is funny," Evelynn said.

"How so?"

"He can do tricks with balloons."

"He can?"

"Uh huh. He made me a butterfly."

"Really?" Hermione asked. Where was she? She would have remembered seeing Evelynn with a balloon animal and was confident her daughter would have shown it to her. Several times.

"It popped though." She shrugged. "And he didn't have no more balloons."

"Any more."

"Yes. He said he'd make me another one when he gets more after Easter holidays."

So, this was recent? That would explain her anxiousness for spring. Just how much time did her daughter spend with the Slytherins that she was on a first name basis with them and they were making her balloon animals? She thought back to finding her just now outside of Severus' office. Did she go with him to house meetings and such? There was an interesting thought. She wasn't sure why it hadn't occurred to her before now that she might accompany him … well everywhere. She supposed the evenings she worked he had to do something with her since they no longer had a sitter for her.

"Do you see Philip often?"

She nodded.

"In Daddy's office?"

She shook her head.

"In the Slytherin room."

She nodded.

"And the other Slytherins?"

She nodded again.

"Greta. Do you know her?"

Hermione had seen Greta, but she didn't actually know her. The only students Hermione really knew anymore were the ones she saw professionally. Greta was not one of those.

"I know of her."

"She drew me a picture of a snitch," she said once they were back in their quarters.

"Did she?"

Hermione grimaced inwardly at the question. She'd managed somehow to have a daughter who loved quidditch. She thought she'd dodged that bullet by not marrying Ron. Evidently not. She couldn't get enough of the sport. To the point the three of them took in quite a few professional games as their schedules allowed. And she could fly like the wind, her daughter.

Viktor found this amusing and sent Evelynn autographed things all of the time. Not always autographed by him. He'd cleared the gift giving with Severus before doing so apparently because Hermione was sure her husband would not take someone Hermione had liked at one time (however long ago) sending their child gifts. Harry and Ron got her quidditch stuff, too. Viktor's though, were always by far her favorites because she knew they'd come from a professional player.

"Yes."

"May I see it?"

Evelynn led her to her bedroom where sure enough on her desk with other things was a very well done picture of a snitch. The snitch pictured was much larger than a real snitch, but the girl, Greta, had put a lot of effort into the details.

"She's very good," Hermione said.

"She draws all of the time."

"Good for her. What year is she, do you know?" Hermione asked, regarding the picture of the golden snitch a little closer. She had shading and shadowing in there. Hermione could almost see that the sun was just off the parchment that way from the way she'd drawn it. Something gold couldn't have been easy to draw either.

"Sixth," Evelynn said, but there was a question to her voice that made Hermione realize she wasn't certain.

"That's okay. I'll ask Daddy."

"Is she in trouble?" She bit her lower lip again, looking quite concerned which was an unusual look for her. "Please don't be mad. It's just a snitch, Mummy."

"Oh, no, sweetheart. I'm not mad at all. That's very nice. I'm glad Daddy's students like you. Now, bathroom with you so we can get you a bath and a story before bed."

"I want Peter Rabbit."

"We'll see what we can do."

She was maybe a little too old for Peter Rabbit anymore, but it was one of her favorites. It was one of Hermione's favorites, too. It was, for whatever reason, one of the purely sentimental and virtually useless  items that she'd thought to grab from her parents' home before leaving it. She didn't grab much that had no significant meaning to her. This book, though, she remembered sitting in a rocking chair with her mum or dad being read to, and eventually as she got older reading it to them. It had been her mum's when she'd been a girl. She loved that her daughter loved the story as much as she had. (Severus was probably sick of it, but that was the way of parenting from her understanding.)

He obviously wasn't that sick of it, though.

For Christmas last year Severus had given Evelynn (though Hermione strongly suspected that it was really for her) a Beatrix Potter jigsaw puzzle that he had found. She and Evelynn had had the best time putting it together. She'd never told him the significance of this particular book. He hadn't asked. He hadn't needed to as he was an observant wizard even today. The book's age was obvious. The fact it was well-read was as well.

Usually jigsaw puzzles were taken apart and put back in the box for another time. This one, though, made its way onto matting and into a frame. And was on the wall in their living room. Not Evelynn's bedroom.

As if he knew.

Bath tended to, pajamas on, hair brushed out to be braided again tomorrow, and teeth brushed they were in Evelynn's room reading when Severus came in. He found them easily enough, kissed Hermione, and then took over reading the last part of the story.

"Bad evening?" she asked when he'd joined her in the living room.

"Boys being boys," he shrugged. "You? You were late in returning to get Evelynn."

"I wasn't that late."

"No, you weren't. She was seated by the door as I told her to do?"

"She was. Maybe next time give her some parchment to color on or something."

"I asked her! She didn't want anything."

"Oh." That wasn't entirely unusual. Like her parents she enjoyed her quiet time with nothing to do but go through things on her mind.

They were quiet, thinking their own thoughts for a while. Some evenings they didn't say much. Some evenings they sat near one another and read. Some evenings he or she had work to do. Tonight they both seemed to just want the closeness that came with sitting with one another. Evelynn was in bed, surprisingly easily tonight. The rooms were quiet other than the crackle of the fire.

"So, no impending crises we heads of house need to be aware of?" His voice was barely a whisper when he asked the question.

She giggled. "No."

"Excellent."

She slid her hand into his, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he said, leaning over and kissing the top of her head.

"Whatever for?"

He shrugged. "I know you'd hoped…"

"Oh, Severus. You have nothing to apologize for. I think we took for granted Evelynn was conceived so easily."

He scoffed. "You call all that work easy? You didn't let me out of bed for days! Now, wolfsbane potion comparatively…"

"Bastard," she murmured.

"Mm."

"I shouldn't tell you then that I was late because I was, in fact, late, but didn't want you to run the diagnostics again and either of us be disappointed. So, I asked Poppy to be sure everything was, you know, okay with me. I mean, there were no complications with Evelynn, but you know maybe…"

"And?"

"Mm," she mimicked back to him.

"Cheeky witch. Are we having a baby or not?"

"I should make you wait."

"And have to continue to expend all that energy? I think not."

"So you're not going to make love to me for the next eight and a half months, Mister Snape?"

He reached then, his arms going around her as he drew her onto his lap.

"I admit I rather looked forward to that appetite of yours again so I expect yes, I shall have to."

"Have to? I could find a volunteer to take my place."

"Oh, Madam Snape, you do not want your husband and the father of your children in Azkaban so I don't think you want to go down the path of seeking volunteers."

She snorted softly. Both knew she'd never do that anyway.

"Am I really that different?"

"Well, in ways, yes," he said, sliding a hand to her abdomen. "Very enjoyable ways. Things are different this time I realize. It's not just us, both of us have jobs that have a rather strict and tiring schedule, but I do hope you know I am up to the task of ensuring your needs are met."

"Mm, me, too," she whispered, kissing him.

"Oh, I know you are. I'd worry that you're trying to put me into an early grave in a most pleasing way, but then I look around at your prospects to replace me and know you'd never do that."

She snorted, kissing his neck. "Smug bastard."

"Yes. Well. It's the same reason I know that volunteer business is preposterous. Facts are indeed facts." They were quiet, his arms around her and she settled against him comfortably.

"Are you really with child, Hermione?" This was whispered so softly she almost missed it.

"I am, really. You shall have a son shortly it seems."

"That would be we."

"Well, yes, of course. I'm the one doing all of the work after all!"

He snorted. "So you are. I guess I need to get busy brewing then. I think I have an order I have yet to send to St. Mungo's I can give you one or two from that."

"Thank you."

More silence. Comfortable. Closeness.

"Evelynn says you allowed her to slice mushrooms tonight."

"I did. She wanted to try. I was behind her, my hands on hers the entire time."

"I'm not doubting you, Severus. I know you'd never do anything to harm her."

"Thank you."

"She wanted to learn?"

"She did. She enjoys watching me brew, and she knows that she is not to talk to me unless I tell her that she can."

"She mentioned Greta drew her that picture of a snitch."

"Yes."

"Have you seen other examples of her work?"

"I have. I don't have any, but she draws non-stop."

"Would you set up an appointment for her to come see me?"

"Why? Certainly drawing is not a sign of some buried trauma…"

"No, but I would like to talk with her about options that may be available to her if art interests her. Professor Franklin, while a good Muggle Studies teacher, doesn't seem to ever suggest to anyone they could have a career in the muggle world."

"Greta is a half-blood."

"I assumed being in Slytherin she was at least that, and I'd never suggest a muggle career to her. However, a muggle university that has a good art program…"

"Ah. Yes, I will let her know you asked to speak with her."

"Thank you."

"As my witch requests."

“Oh, really?"

"Yes."

"Well, I am feeling rather peckish."

"Did you not eat dinner?"

"Not for that, Severus."

"I see. Well, let's go get ready for bed then, Dear."

"I thought you'd never ask."

Return to Top


***Chapter Seventeen***
March 2008

Minerva and Hermione were at the Three Broomsticks for a witches night out. Evelynn was sleeping and under the care of an elf if she woke and needed him. It was Easter holidays so the castle was empty with very few exceptions. A handful of students, but they wouldn't bother him in this errand

Errand.

It made it sound far more casual and less nerve wracking than it was.

He paused at the gargoyle, whispering the password he knew would still allow him access to the stairs leading to really the last place he wanted to be. There were a few places that he could think of being that were worse, but not many.

Hermione had told him more than once that he needed to talk to the portrait. She understood his reasons for avoiding it, but felt that it was very out of character for him to go out of his way to do so. One day he would be headmaster again, they both knew it barring him deciding to leave Hogwarts again permanently. She thought that dealing with it now, before that happened, would be better. She said she would stand by him if after talking to it (they both knew it wasn't truly Albus so it was an it not a him) he still felt so ardently that their children would not ever see this particular portrait.

He paused at the head of the stairs, feeling the acceptance at the door wash through him. The castle still recognized him. Was this a mistake? He wasn't sure, but doing it now was best. Few students, Minerva gone for the night. That meant no one to stumble upon him. He didn't want any witnesses to this.

Not even Hermione knew he'd decided to come here this evening. He preferred it that way. If this was a mistake he didn't want anyone else knowing he'd instigated the conversation.

It's just a portrait. It's not truly the man.

These were his thoughts as he turned the knob.

"Back so soon, Minnie," Albus' voice came almost as soon as Severus opened the door. Severus had to fight the scoff that threatened to come out.

"No, it's not the headmistress. I don't imagine they'll be back for some time yet."

"Really? I understood that your wife should not partake at this time."

Severus would like to be upset that he knew Hermione was expecting again, but of course he would. Even if Minerva didn't tell him, he'd hear it somehow whether through his portrait here or at the Ministry. Or someone else telling him who overheard the news.

"That is true, but that does not prevent her from enjoying time with the other women on staff. She gets along with all of them."

"Of course. Minerva still adores her."

"Understandably so," Severus said.

Albus was wisely silent as Severus took in the office. Other than the one time he'd been in here to get Evelynn and the five year anniversary event he hadn't been in this office in close to ten years. He had not taken the time to … take it in on either of those occasions.

"May Headmaster Dumbledore and I have some privacy, please," he said.

Interestingly, no one protested or balked at his request. He gave them a few minutes, not missing the smile on Phineas Black's face before he left.

Silence as Severus regarded the portrait and the man depicted in said portrait seemed to do the same.

He'd thought over this conversation many times over the past ten years. Now that he was here about to initiate it he truly didn't know what to say.

"You used me," Severus said simply.

The portrait looked at him over the rims of his glasses. Evidently opening with that surprised him. Good.

"It was a war, Severus. I used all the tools and weapons I had available to me, my boy."

"Do not call me that. I have not been a boy for a long while nor was I ever your boy. I wasn't sorted into the correct house to be that."

"Oh, Severus, you were sorted exactly where you belonged."

Severus closed his eyes, turning his back on the portrait. He clenched his right fast and expelled a deep breath.

"You raised that boy like he was no better than livestock. You let him get away with every careless thing he did so that he'd keep pushing, keep getting bolder in his deeds, thinking he was more powerful than he truly was. You knew he had a piece of the Dark Lord in him. You knew that piece of the Dark Lord gave him advantages. You knew that he was going to be slaughtered. It was pure luck he was the one to end up with the wand. You purposely left him in a horrible muggle home so that he'd know nothing about his heritage and magic. You let him come to our world, wide-eyed and continually be praised as The Boy Who Lived. You let him get away with everything under the sun with little more than a slap on the wrist as punishment."

"And if he had grown up in the magical world, Severus. What would your reaction to his starting Hogwarts have been?"

Severus turned then, regarding the portrait.

"What would anyone's reaction have been for that matter," Albus prompted.

Severus huffed with a shake of his head. "You couldn't have placed him with someone better? Someone who would actually take care of him?"

"Like who, Severus? We were at war. The Potters were gone. The Evans' were gone. Who was I to leave him with?"

"There were options. Never mind you didn't check up on him. They kept him locked in a cupboard. My wife tells me nightmarish stories. I at least had better than scraps of food."

"Severus," Albus said.

"Forget it. I don't even know why I came here."

"I did what I had to do. It was a time of war."

"So you keep saying. War doesn't excuse speaking in riddles and withholding pertinent information as if it's a game. You sent three teenagers armed with little actual knowledge out to hunt possessed items with no clue as to what to do with them. Actually, scratch that. You entrusted one to do it alone. Only by pure luck did he get assistance due to having loyal friends. You had me hold on to Gryffindor's sword for weeks while they were cold and starving to death."

"It was about timing, Severus. If they'd destroyed the locket too soon…"

Severus shook his head. What if Hermione had died out there? He'd never have any idea of what not just love but happiness was. Of course she was alive and well so his thinking that way was pointless. Still. It had been a real possibility. They almost didn't make it from getting the locket to begin with. And then which way would Albus' war have gone?

"You can defend it any way you wish to, but you could have armed others with information so they weren't helpless. I could have helped them if I'd known they had Phineas' portrait. I could have gotten food to them. Something."

"Did you truly care then, Severus? Or are you saying this now as a man in love?"

"I would not have wanted three innocents to starve, no. And if you think that I would have even then then you truly didn't know me at all and did a very poor job of choosing your spy."

"Are you happy, Severus?"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"It's a simple question."

"Yes," he answered, not sure what trap Albus was trying to set but he would not say otherwise. He would not lie. If he said otherwise it would surely get back to someone who would tell Hermione.

"I understand you do not agree with my methods. Could I have trusted others more? Perhaps, but then too many people would have had information. That was a risk I was not willing to take. I knew that you would not betray me willingly, Severus. No matter what you may think I trusted you, but there was a risk Thomas would see things. I could not take that chance, and only you could have come close to guarding the secrets."

"True," Severus said. It was a valid argument. There wasn't anyone Severus knew who could have capably hidden information from Voldemort if they'd been captured.

"You are here, though, Severus. Married, with a daughter who I hear is as charming as they come who has the entire staff wrapped around her little finger. And a son soon from my understanding. You are back here teaching and from Minerva's comments the students like your classes. Tell me twenty years ago you would have thought that was possible. You have a business of your own that is profitable and your products are coveted by many. You are forgiven by most. There will always be those who question your true intentions. There would be no matter which side you'd come out on. Your wife I'm told is living up to being the brightest witch of her age and bringing the wizarding world into the modern age when it comes to treating the mind as well as physical ailments. Between you and me, the Ministry is thinking of starting a unit at St. Mungo's just for that and asking your wife to head it."

This was news but not surprising to Severus. As successful as Hermione's idea and practice were, there were still some who would be hesitant to go to her. She was muggleborn and she was a woman. Those two things would prevent more than one person Severus knew from seeking out her services.

"I thought I was your friend, Albus."

"You were, probably my closest friend."

"You asked me to kill you."

"And it worked, did it not? And your soul is intact enough to take a wife and be good with her and your child."

"You did not know that," he hissed.

"Of course I did, Severus. I knew you. Do you really think I would have asked you to do something if I thought it would truly harm you?"

"And getting tortured endlessly was a walk in the park?"

"That was the role you agreed to, many years ago. You knew what it meant when you agreed. You cannot compare what I asked you to do almost thirty years ago to what I asked you to do ten years ago. We were very different people. You were a very different person. The first I was asking you to make up for an error. The second I was asking to ensure the war would be won the way we both wanted it to be."

"You couldn't have known!"

Those eyes. Even in portrait form they sparkled. "Do you think your wife, scarred herself as she is, would have felt comfortable, accepted by someone who did not have his own?"

"I hardly see how that has anything to do with this. She could have ended up with Harry if all she required was another scarred wizard."

"Untrue. There truly only was one for either of you. You found your way to each other, without my interference I might add."

"You're saying that we were…"

"Fated? Destined? Would that be so farfetched in the world we live in? You are after all having a conversation with a portrait, Severus. But no, I don't think anything magical was at work. Unless you consider attraction magical. You are both academics, intellectuals. Who else could be right for you? And vice versa for Madam Snape?"

Severus took a deep breath, nodding simply. He was right. If it had been anyone else who crossed over the threshold to his bookstore complaining about having to leave school due to financial reasons he would never have made the offer he did. He could not think of one other witch who he would have felt comfortable possibly spending his life with.

He wasn't sure he really felt better, but he did feel as if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. It was just a portrait, it wasn't truly Albus, and Severus knew that by avoiding it this long he'd given it unnecessary power.

He took a deep breath, shaking his head as he glanced at his feet.

"I still don't want you interacting with my children."

"I can respect that, Severus, and I can swear to you that I will not go behind your back to see them again. I have not since the one incident. I had hoped seeing her here would help you heal. However, one day you will be back in this office as you should still be. I knew you needed time, anyone in your shoes would have. You cannot keep them from me forever."

"Try me, Albus. They don't have to come to this office."

"I suppose that's true. Do you really believe after I testified on your behalf that I would truly fill their heads with hurtful things?"

"Honestly, Albus, I do not know what you might say, which is why I do not want you near them."

"Very well. As I said moments ago I will not try to circumvent your wishes on that matter again. Now, if they come to me…"

"You will send them away. Do you understand me, old man? You will send them away."

He could very easily see Evelynn, curious to know things about Daddy that only this wizard knew, coming here and asking Albus questions. Albus wouldn't be able to resist telling her things because portrait or not Albus liked gossip. She could get into this room even now, the wards were still keyed in part to him. To his magic. She was made partially of his magic.

Albus huffed. It was humourous hearing that come from a portrait. "I will do as directed."

"Thank you."

"Do you feel better now, Severus?"

"No," he said. He did somewhat, and likely Albus knew that was true. "I just knew that I couldn't avoid you forever, though, and as you pointed out with the upcoming birth of my son I knew the time had come. I am not a coward nor do I wish to avoid this office forever."

"You will make an excellent father to him, Severus. Minerva and other staff sing your praises for your interactions with young Evelynn. She is very obviously a daddy's girl." The old wizard in the portrait peered at him again through the tops of his glasses. "You are not Tobias Snape, Severus. You may be of his blood but you have made the Snape name honourable and one to be praised. That was not him. It wasn't me either. You did that and if I haven't said it enough I am proud of you."

"I have learned this to be true through my dealings with Harry."

"The fact that you can look and talk about James and Lily's son as Harry…"

"He is Harry. He is them and yet he is not. A sum of the parts. I know how it works, Albus. I have not loved her for a very long time."

"I know," Albus said.

"What?" Severus asked. "You certainly did a wonderful impression of reminding me that you thought I did."

"Well, I had to. I had to remind you exactly why you were doing this. You thought for quite some time it was for her. I knew it had stopped being about her years before Thomas' return. You, however, did not."

"I'm not sure that I ever did. Love her, I mean. I'm not denying I embarked on this war with you as your spy for her."

"No?" Albus asked.

"No, now, looking at Hermione and Evelynn, seeing the true affection they have not only for me but for one another. Seeing how Hermione interacts with Harry and Ronald."

"This surprises you?"

"Not anymore. I'd had time to think, you know. The year as headmaster. I was alone."

"You had me."

"Not the company I needed really. And this visage is not truly you," he said, gesturing to the portrait he was currently engaging in a conversation with. "Anyway, Weasley left them for a while, you know. Maybe you don't know. I truly don't know what you've been told. They took him back when he returned, of course. That baffled me. The only person I truly betrayed in such a fashion was Lily and she never forgave me. You, nor anyone else for that matter, seemed to find that overly strange. Perhaps she would have given the chance if she'd survived. I do not know, but I tend to think not. I called her a mudblood," he said with a hiss afterward. "It was wrong and I could justify my reasons behind doing so which I know now does not make it right in calling her that. My wife has been called that by Draco Malfoy more than once and was, in fact, tortured in his home and is pleasant and courteous to him. Will they ever be fast friends? No, but because of me, for me, she is willing to put it aside. She does not want Draco to be without anyone on his side. I, in return, have done the same with Weasley. Harry is tolerable."

"That is high praise coming from you, Severus."

He snorted. "Yes, well. I'll deny having said it to my dying day."

Albus chuckled. "I won't tell a soul."

"They'd think you'd finally fallen off your rocker if you repeated it anyway."

"Probably so," Albus said with a heartier chuckle. "And I knew, Severus. I knew it wasn't love thirty years ago. I also knew what you felt, what you'd experienced leading up to that point to make you think that it was love. You didn't know any different. I knew, too, that you would find it one day and finally be able to understand that not everything about life will end in you suffering and alone."

"And you knew it was with her?"

"Eventually, yes. It made the most sense. Not immediately, of course, she was twelve. I did not meddle," he said again and Severus scoffed. "No one knew where either of you were for me to even if I'd wanted to. You survived, I would of course have wanted to see to the happiness you deserved. So if you'd both been here and acted stubborn I will admit I would have meddled and not thought twice about doing so. However you came together, you did that, Severus."

"I am aware."

He never once thought anyone was behind it. He still to this day nine years later wasn't sure what made him even make the offer. It went against everything he stood for, really. Buying her hand in marriage in essence. That was what he'd done.

And, yet, here they were. About to welcome child number two into the picture in a matter of months.

"And, Severus, for what it's worth I did not enjoy asking you to take my life. I truly did not. I knew that it would crush you, that you'd think I committed the ultimate betrayal against you. Our friendship. It was that emotion I knew you'd call upon to do the deed. And it needed to be done. I was dying anyway, Severus, at least my death was put to good use."

Severus nodded simply. He'd said what he needed to say. Albus had probably said what he'd needed to say. He wasn't going to lie to himself and say everything was fine, but he no longer felt dread when thinking about this office. Seeing the portrait. He could only hope he'd keep to his word about not talking to his children.

"Good night, Albus."

"Good night, Severus. I do look forward to you being back in this office one day soon."

"Not too soon. I'd like to see my children through school before I become a full-time administrator."

"I will see what I can do with Minnie."

Good, give him something else to focus on for the next eighteen or so years aside from his children.

At the foot of the stairs he paused before heading back to their rooms. Instead as he was still dressed for the day he apparated to Hogsmeade. He paused outside of the Three Broomsticks. Would this look foolish? Too needy? He really wasn't sure.

What was more, he realized that he did not particularly care.

He pushed the door open, spotted his witch engaged in conversation with Rolanda, Pomona, and Minerva. Ginevra Potter was here, too, as was Luna Lovegood. Interesting. He hadn't realized they would be.

Several sets of eyes watched as he made his way to their group of tables. They did Hogsmeade weekends together (Minerva's reasoning was that Hermione was, in essence, a member of staff and it kept Severus from pouting that he had to interact with anyone else for hours) but it wasn't often people really saw them interact together.

"Severus, what are you doing here?" Pomona asked.

"Is Evelynn okay?" Hermione asked.

"Evelynn is fine, Love. I'm here to see my wife. Is that not allowed?"

"Of course it is," Pomona said, elbowing Hermione. "He missed you."

"He did," Severus agreed, offering his hand to Hermione. "Could I impose on your evening amongst the ladies for about five minutes?"

"Can't be for anything good if he's only asking for five minutes," Rolanda said.

"Oh, Rolanda," Ginevra said. "This is Hermione and Severus. I don't know that I even want to imagine what they could get up to in five minutes."

This led to laughter and Hermione blushing deeply as she took Severus' offered hand and stood. He led her to a corner.

"Why did you say yes?" he asked.

"To what?" she asked, frowning slightly.

"To marrying me," he said.

"Because I thought we made a suitable match. I thought that we would be able to talk about scholastic things if nothing else and presumed that would lead to other topics so we would never run out of things to talk about. Ultimately, I thought you could make me happy."

"Despite the way I treated you?"

"You were under a lot of stress. We didn't help you with that at all. I did do more work than was necessary. Were you cruel about it at times?" She shrugged, biting her lower lip. She didn't shrink from looking at him, though. She didn't loathe him or hold his actions against him "Perhaps so, but I can't say what I'd do or say if I was getting little sleep and surrounded by dunderheads all day. Nor can anyone else who was not in your shoes, Severus. Add to that one of the few who was not a dunderhead turned in extra long essays when I was getting little sleep as it was. You were beaten and tortured, working as a spy." She ran a hand along his cheek and his jaw, stroking the skin there not seeming to care he was well past a five o'clock shadow. "I said yes because while I didn't feel there was anything to forgive you for. Not truly. I forgave you all of it, Severus. It was a war. We all did things we didn't want to do to win. You have proven not only to me but to so many that your cruelty is not who you truly are. Are you still mean and scary at times? Of course, you would not be you otherwise, but the students know that when you get mean and scary it's truly because you fear for their safety."

"Thank you," he whispered.

She frowned a bit, reaching in to kiss him and then brushing her cheek against his jaw.

"Is everything okay? Are you okay?"

"Everything is fine. I just had this overwhelming need to see my wife."

"Oh, well," she said, sliding her arms around his neck. "Should we show them what we can get up to in five minutes?" The question was murmured against his lips. He captured them easily with his. Of course she was more than willing so he didn't really need to do much capturing.

Her hands moved from his neck to his hair. He drew away and he kissed her jaw and found her ear.

"Wake me when you get home?"

"You mean I can't just have my way with you?"

"If you can make that work, by all means, Witch."

"You doubt my abilities, Wizard?"

"Never," he murmured. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Severus." She slid her hands to his cheeks, drawing his face away from her neck so she could look at him. "What happened?"

"Nothing," he said.

"You say that, but your eyes, your kisses do not say that."

"I spoke with him tonight."

"Him?" Realization dawned on her without him having to provide the answer. "Oh. And that led you to come to me?"

"You are the best choice that I have made in my life, how could I not want you to know that whenever possible."

"I am so glad we are your choice, Severus. Every day. Evelynn is, too. She adores you perhaps more than I do."

"Impossible," he whispered.

"I don't know. You have her fooled into thinking you can do no wrong."

"She just accepts facts."

Hermione laughed, kissing his nose. "That must be it. Obviously our son will do the same."

"Undoubtedly. You are feeling well tonight?"

"I am feeling fine tonight."

"Fine enough to wake me later?"

"I promise. I already said I would."

"Very well. Enjoy the rest of your evening then."

"You could join us," she said, gesturing to the table. "No one would mind."

"No, thank you. I know how it works."

"May I tell Minerva?"

"I am sure Albus will tell her anyway, so why not."

"All right. I'll see you later then."

"Soon?"

Her lips lifted into a smile. "Yes."

"I will be waiting."

"Me, too," she said, kissing him again before she headed back to her table.

He remained where he was for a moment, watching their group.

All but Ginevra and Luna had known him for years, most since he was a student himself. All had believed he murdered Albus, that he was a Death Eater all along. They were supposed to, of course. That was the idea.

They all, though, were currently sitting with his wife and her friends talking about whatever females talked about as if they hadn't a care in the world. As if they didn't care she was married to the man they had truly thought was, well, evil. They'd all apologized to him in some form or another since his return. As far as he knew no one had told his wife she was crazy for being married to him and he had heard nothing negative when it was revealed she was pregnant a second time. Everyone in fact seemed overjoyed at the thought. It had been too long, many said, since there were young children in the castle.

It was all very odd to Severus.

He'd expected more abrasion upon their … his … return. Yet none had come. Ronald and Molly Weasley were the only two who had expressed true displeasure at their union but seemingly gotten over it. Both, Severus knew, had ulterior motives behind the objection. Hermione could have married Viktor Krum and they would have felt the same way.

Hermione turned her attention to him again, tilting her head in such a way that he knew she was asking him if he was okay. He nodded simply in response and turned to leave.

He returned to the castle and their rooms unsure what the point of visiting her was. He'd seen her in the morning and before she went to the Three Broomsticks so it wasn't as if days had gone by. For some reason, though, he'd felt the need to touch her after his conversation with Albus.

Raw.

Needy.

He wanted her warmth. The reassurance of her presence. Her. He saw no harm in it so gave into that need.

And now, he sat in a chair in his daughter's bedroom, watching as she slept.

Unlike her parents she'd never had a nightmare. She didn't know who Voldemort was or what a Death Eater was. She didn't know that her mummy's best friend was slated to die before he turned eighteen. She didn't know anything but a bright future. Hermione, Harry, Ronald, he, and so many others had fought to ensure that was true. His son would know the same thing.

Peace.

He watched Hermione as she worked with various students who she thought might do well with muggle university to guide them in the process. She did the same with his godson and he knew Greta would be no different. It didn't matter to her their house affiliation or blood status.

That future, the ability to choose muggle university and not be shunned or disowned was done by them. The efforts in the war. There was still a stigma, there likely always would be to some. Gradually, though, he hoped by the time his children were that age they would know they could truly do whatever they set their minds to.

Astronaut for Evelynn? Done, so long as she had the stomach for space travel.

Professional football player for his son? Done, so long as he understood that he had to ensure he was saving and educated for a future when he would not be playing the sport. And that he would likely never be the next Pele.

Severus would ensure it. He'd move heaven and earth to make it so they could do anything at all.

Yes, he supposed this, these very feelings, was how Albus knew his love for Lily was not real. His desire to help her was purely selfish. He wanted her. Whether she wanted him was irrelevant. What she wanted to do with her life didn't matter.

He knew now, sitting here looking down at his daughter watching her tiny lungs make her chest move up and down while she breathed, that anyone before Hermione was wishful thinking. Evelynn gave a soft hum of contentment that he'd come to find only children made. If he could bottle the sound and sell it he'd make a fortune because everyone he knew responded positively to it.

This was real and everything his seventeen year old self could have asked for.

And it had started with a to this day secret-kept deal.

The End

Return to Top

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com