***Chapter Sixteen***
January 2008

"You're still here, Hermione?" Poppy asked her.

She'd been putting the finishing touches on a few files of students she'd seen during the week. Hermione had balked about leaving the files here, but in the end she knew that Poppy protected her patients' privacy as much as Hermione did. In all of the times they'd talked the past few years she'd only hinted at having cared for Severus as a student. Hermione knew, of course, but the fact that the healer almost thirty years after his days as a student held that confidence told her a lot.

"I am. I was wondering if I could ask you a question."

"You know you can ask me anything, Dear. Is young Evelynn okay?"

"Oh, yes, she's wonderful. Excited for spring already, of course."

"Good. And Severus? I haven't seen him as a patient in years as you know, I'm sure."

"I think he prefers it that way. He still has some stiffness some days, his neck bothers him at times. He makes do."

"I'm glad. And he can make his own potions as required."

"Yes, of course. It's nothing like that. We're fine, all of us. Um," she said softly, wondering why she could talk to children about all sorts of things but then get flustered talking about herself.

"Do you need a cup of tea? Something stronger?"

"No!"

"Oh, I see. Well, talk to me then, Hermione. What's on your mind?"

"We've been trying for a brother or sister for Evelynn for a few months…"

"Ah," she said. "You conceived her easily, I presume?"

"Yes. Well, I mean," she cleared her throat and knew she was blushing again thinking back to the weekend Evelynn was conceived. "There were certainly no problems conceiving her when we set our minds to it."

Poppy smiled a bit, but said nothing. Her eyes, though. She was amused, yes, Hermione saw that there, but the woman was happy. For Severus more than likely, she realized. How many injuries, how many bouts of Cruciatus had she nursed him through?

"Would you like me to check? Is that your question? You think there might be something wrong?"

"Could you? I mean I can see it's possible I miscalculated ovulation one month, but I don't see how it's possible I messed up two or three in a row."

"Mm," she said, leading her out of her office and to a bed. "You're also a little older as is Severus. And you have stressors in your lives that likely weren't there then, too. Not to mention sometimes our bodies don't stick to a schedule. Go ahead and hop up on this bed so we can have a look. Add to that not everyone gets pregnant after the first attempt or two."

Hermione did and let Poppy run her diagnostics. It'd been years since she'd been tended to by the healer. She'd forgotten how pleasant her bedside manner was. Hogwarts was very lucky to have her. Truly. Being sick when away from home could be scary.

She understood it didn't happen immediately all of the time. Honestly, she was surprised it had happened so quickly and easily with Evelynn given the amount of times they'd been using the potion and charms. She'd run all of the diagnostics, though, and she wasn't incapable.

It was probably a good thing in the end because if she'd gotten pregnant in September he or she would have been born around Evelynn's birthday. As excited as Hermione expected Evelynn to be about becoming a big sister she would not relish the idea of sharing her day with said younger sister or brother. She was a bit of a prima donna. (A bit was putting it nicely. All of the professors and staff adored her and she knew it!)

Who would really?

They no longer had to worry about Hermione's school schedule so it didn't really matter when she got pregnant. She just wanted to know if she was doing something wrong.

"Everything seems fine, dear. In fact," she said, waving her wand over Hermione's abdomen one more time. "I think maybe you got a false negative. It can happen. Did you or Severus do it?"

"I did. I think after the second month he was…"

"Didn't want to see the disappointment in your eyes?"

"Yes."

"Well, it can be tricky doing it to yourself. Would you like to know what it is?"

"I," she said. She stared at the healer for a moment. She'd done the diagnostic wrong? She was pregnant? That was what she was saying. Wasn't it? "You're serious?"

She waved her wand and suddenly there were various things visible to Hermione above her abdomen. Blood pressure, heart rate, and so forth. Poppy pointed various things out that indicated she was with child. Some like the heart rate were doubled.

"Mm, so there you see. Yes. I'd say about four weeks? About the size of a poppy seed." The healer chuckled, obviously finding that play on her name and the food amusing. "Growing well, though, healthy so far. I can't tell much more than that at this stage. You ran the test so you must have suspected? I assume you were late?"

"Yes, the other months I wasn't. I just wanted to know as soon as possible. This time I told myself I wouldn't rush anything. In case."

"Diagnostics wouldn't alter anything, Hermione. You know that, but I understand the superstition behind the thought. Is that a yes or no to wanting to know?"

"I," she stared at the ceiling. Did she want to know? Would he be disappointed if it was another girl since he said he really didn't want more than two? Would it being a girl affect him wanting a third?

"Yes, I think I would like to."

Poppy chuckled lightly.

"Well, let's just say you'll be needing all new clothes for this one. I don't think pink will be quite as much his color as it is Mistress Evelynn's."

"Madam Pomfrey," someone called from the other room. "Come quick. Merrie isn't feeling well and she's green. Like literally green."

"Oh dear," Poppy said. And just like that she had gone from being the kind, matronly person who was more Hermione's friend these days to the serious, adept healer Hermione knew her to be. "Fix yourself, Dear." She squeezed Hermione's hand. "And be assured you are fine. Your little son there is fine. It just took a little while longer this time. It happens."

"Thank you, Poppy."

"You are welcome."

Hermione stood from the bed, fixed her clothes and sighed softly.

"What have you gotten into today, Miss Tilly," she heard Poppy ask. Hermione couldn't help but smirk a bit at that. She knew Miss Tilly quite well by now. She was … curious to put it kindly.

She slid her slippers on and made her way to the main room.

"Did you need help, Madam Pomfrey."

"I don't think so, Healer Snape. I'll see you tomorrow I imagine."

"You will."

It made Hermione giddy that people called her a healer. She knew she was healing her patients, just in a different way than the wizarding world was accustomed to. She had taken some healer courses at St. Mungo's and assisted Poppy more than a few times with medical situations since she wasn't squeamish. She wasn't a full-fledged healer, but between the rounds she'd done at St. Mungo's and with Poppy and her time on the run with Harry and Ron. Well, she could hold her own.

"And be sure to bear in mind what we talked about. You'll need to get some things from Professor Snape, too, I imagine."

"Yes, Ma'am," she said. She'd have to get the prenatal potions from Severus.

She made her way to the dungeons. She shivered a bit. It was always colder down here than the rest of the castle. She knew Severus was waiting for her to say she'd had enough of the cold dungeons. To this point, though, she liked being there. True, it was a bit dark and cold, but they were pretty much left to their own devices down here. Known spy or not, people didn't go out of their way to cross Severus Snape. She was surprised to see Evelynn sitting on the floor outside Severus' door when she got there.

"What are you doing out here, Sweetie?"

"Daddy had a student."

"Oh," she said. "He's working this late?"

"Mm hmm, he let me slice the mushrooms."

"Did he?" Hermione asked. She smiled a bit at that. She dropped her hand to her abdomen. She hoped Evelynn and their son knew how lucky they were to be taught such things by this man. Yes, he could be difficult and short but no matter what he taught them they could be assured that they would learn from one of the best.

"Yes," she said. She scrunched her nose a bit, making a face. "They're kind of squishy."

Hermione smiled a bit at that, stifling the laugh. Evelynn did not like being laughed at. "Yes, they can be."

She offered her hand to her daughter who took it and stood.

"Do you want to go into Daddy's office with me?"

She bit her lower lip lightly, shaking her head. She glanced up at Hermione with a pair of brown eyes that were lighter than her daddy's but darker than Hermione's.

"Daddy said to wait right here," she said. "Until Mr. Barris left. He hasn't left yet."

"I know he did and you obviously did a very good job of doing exactly what he asked. I should have known Daddy was still with his student if you were sitting here. I wasn't thinking. We can send him my otter."

Those brown eyes brightened in sheer excitement at that offer. Evelynn loved her otter.

"Oh, Mummy, can we?"

"Of course." She cast her patronus. Her otter squeaked and weaved excitedly, waiting for direction. "Tell her what to tell Daddy."

"Please tell Daddy that I went home with Mummy," she said. "Um, this is Evelynn Snape."

"Good girl," she said. Her otter dashed through the wall, not having far to go since they were right outside his office.

"Did you have a student, too, Mummy?"

"No, just files to update tonight."

"Did you see Madam Poppy?"

"I did."

"She knew Daddy a long time ago."

Hermione smirked. She was pretty sure Severus wouldn't like hearing it described like that. "Yes, she did, when Daddy was a student here."

"She knew you, too."

"She did."

"You were a cat?"

Hermione rolled her eyes with a shake of her head. "I was not a cat!"

She and Severus did both have registered animagus forms, but neither were cats. Hermione matched her patronus and was an otter. Severus ironically was a coyote. Ironic because coyotes tended to prey on otters.

"Oh." Evelynn sounded somewhat disappointed with Hermione's answer. She reached for Hermione's hand, squeezing and tugging on it a bit. Hermione stooped down and Evelynn set a hand on each of Hermione's cheeks. "Can we get a cat?"

"Oh, sweetie, let me talk to Daddy. I do miss having a cat."

"Crooks?"

"Yes," she said. "His name was Crookshanks, but Crooks is good enough."

"Uncle Harry says he was kind of ugly."

Hermione laughed. "He was kind of ugly, but he was loyal and mine. I'll talk to Daddy."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now, let's get you a bath and ready for bed."

"Not tired."

"You're up past your bedtime."

"Hi Evelynn," a first year Slytherin said as he passed them. Judging by the books he held, Hermione guessed he was going to his common room from the library. "Madam Snape."

"Hi, Flip," Evelynn said.

"Philip," Hermione corrected. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right. Good night, Ma'am."

"Good night."

"Flip is funny," Evelynn said.

"How so?"

"He can do tricks with balloons."

"He can?"

"Uh huh. He made me a butterfly."

"Really?" Hermione asked. Where was she? She would have remembered seeing Evelynn with a balloon animal and was confident her daughter would have shown it to her. Several times.

"It popped though." She shrugged. "And he didn't have no more balloons."

"Any more."

"Yes. He said he'd make me another one when he gets more after Easter holidays."

So, this was recent? That would explain her anxiousness for spring. Just how much time did her daughter spend with the Slytherins that she was on a first name basis with them and they were making her balloon animals? She thought back to finding her just now outside of Severus' office. Did she go with him to house meetings and such? There was an interesting thought. She wasn't sure why it hadn't occurred to her before now that she might accompany him … well everywhere. She supposed the evenings she worked he had to do something with her since they no longer had a sitter for her.

"Do you see Philip often?"

She nodded.

"In Daddy's office?"

She shook her head.

"In the Slytherin room."

She nodded.

"And the other Slytherins?"

She nodded again.

"Greta. Do you know her?"

Hermione had seen Greta, but she didn't actually know her. The only students Hermione really knew anymore were the ones she saw professionally. Greta was not one of those.

"I know of her."

"She drew me a picture of a snitch," she said once they were back in their quarters.

"Did she?"

Hermione grimaced inwardly at the question. She'd managed somehow to have a daughter who loved quidditch. She thought she'd dodged that bullet by not marrying Ron. Evidently not. She couldn't get enough of the sport. To the point the three of them took in quite a few professional games as their schedules allowed. And she could fly like the wind, her daughter.

Viktor found this amusing and sent Evelynn autographed things all of the time. Not always autographed by him. He'd cleared the gift giving with Severus before doing so apparently because Hermione was sure her husband would not take someone Hermione had liked at one time (however long ago) sending their child gifts. Harry and Ron got her quidditch stuff, too. Viktor's though, were always by far her favorites because she knew they'd come from a professional player.

"Yes."

"May I see it?"

Evelynn led her to her bedroom where sure enough on her desk with other things was a very well done picture of a snitch. The snitch pictured was much larger than a real snitch, but the girl, Greta, had put a lot of effort into the details.

"She's very good," Hermione said.

"She draws all of the time."

"Good for her. What year is she, do you know?" Hermione asked, regarding the picture of the golden snitch a little closer. She had shading and shadowing in there. Hermione could almost see that the sun was just off the parchment that way from the way she'd drawn it. Something gold couldn't have been easy to draw either.

"Sixth," Evelynn said, but there was a question to her voice that made Hermione realize she wasn't certain.

"That's okay. I'll ask Daddy."

"Is she in trouble?" She bit her lower lip again, looking quite concerned which was an unusual look for her. "Please don't be mad. It's just a snitch, Mummy."

"Oh, no, sweetheart. I'm not mad at all. That's very nice. I'm glad Daddy's students like you. Now, bathroom with you so we can get you a bath and a story before bed."

"I want Peter Rabbit."

"We'll see what we can do."

She was maybe a little too old for Peter Rabbit anymore, but it was one of her favorites. It was one of Hermione's favorites, too. It was, for whatever reason, one of the purely sentimental and virtually useless  items that she'd thought to grab from her parents' home before leaving it. She didn't grab much that had no significant meaning to her. This book, though, she remembered sitting in a rocking chair with her mum or dad being read to, and eventually as she got older reading it to them. It had been her mum's when she'd been a girl. She loved that her daughter loved the story as much as she had. (Severus was probably sick of it, but that was the way of parenting from her understanding.)

He obviously wasn't that sick of it, though.

For Christmas last year Severus had given Evelynn (though Hermione strongly suspected that it was really for her) a Beatrix Potter jigsaw puzzle that he had found. She and Evelynn had had the best time putting it together. She'd never told him the significance of this particular book. He hadn't asked. He hadn't needed to as he was an observant wizard even today. The book's age was obvious. The fact it was well-read was as well.

Usually jigsaw puzzles were taken apart and put back in the box for another time. This one, though, made its way onto matting and into a frame. And was on the wall in their living room. Not Evelynn's bedroom.

As if he knew.

Bath tended to, pajamas on, hair brushed out to be braided again tomorrow, and teeth brushed they were in Evelynn's room reading when Severus came in. He found them easily enough, kissed Hermione, and then took over reading the last part of the story.

"Bad evening?" she asked when he'd joined her in the living room.

"Boys being boys," he shrugged. "You? You were late in returning to get Evelynn."

"I wasn't that late."

"No, you weren't. She was seated by the door as I told her to do?"

"She was. Maybe next time give her some parchment to color on or something."

"I asked her! She didn't want anything."

"Oh." That wasn't entirely unusual. Like her parents she enjoyed her quiet time with nothing to do but go through things on her mind.

They were quiet, thinking their own thoughts for a while. Some evenings they didn't say much. Some evenings they sat near one another and read. Some evenings he or she had work to do. Tonight they both seemed to just want the closeness that came with sitting with one another. Evelynn was in bed, surprisingly easily tonight. The rooms were quiet other than the crackle of the fire.

"So, no impending crises we heads of house need to be aware of?" His voice was barely a whisper when he asked the question.

She giggled. "No."

"Excellent."

She slid her hand into his, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he said, leaning over and kissing the top of her head.

"Whatever for?"

He shrugged. "I know you'd hoped…"

"Oh, Severus. You have nothing to apologize for. I think we took for granted Evelynn was conceived so easily."

He scoffed. "You call all that work easy? You didn't let me out of bed for days! Now, wolfsbane potion comparatively…"

"Bastard," she murmured.

"Mm."

"I shouldn't tell you then that I was late because I was, in fact, late, but didn't want you to run the diagnostics again and either of us be disappointed. So, I asked Poppy to be sure everything was, you know, okay with me. I mean, there were no complications with Evelynn, but you know maybe…"

"And?"

"Mm," she mimicked back to him.

"Cheeky witch. Are we having a baby or not?"

"I should make you wait."

"And have to continue to expend all that energy? I think not."

"So you're not going to make love to me for the next eight and a half months, Mister Snape?"

He reached then, his arms going around her as he drew her onto his lap.

"I admit I rather looked forward to that appetite of yours again so I expect yes, I shall have to."

"Have to? I could find a volunteer to take my place."

"Oh, Madam Snape, you do not want your husband and the father of your children in Azkaban so I don't think you want to go down the path of seeking volunteers."

She snorted softly. Both knew she'd never do that anyway.

"Am I really that different?"

"Well, in ways, yes," he said, sliding a hand to her abdomen. "Very enjoyable ways. Things are different this time I realize. It's not just us, both of us have jobs that have a rather strict and tiring schedule, but I do hope you know I am up to the task of ensuring your needs are met."

"Mm, me, too," she whispered, kissing him.

"Oh, I know you are. I'd worry that you're trying to put me into an early grave in a most pleasing way, but then I look around at your prospects to replace me and know you'd never do that."

She snorted, kissing his neck. "Smug bastard."

"Yes. Well. It's the same reason I know that volunteer business is preposterous. Facts are indeed facts." They were quiet, his arms around her and she settled against him comfortably.

"Are you really with child, Hermione?" This was whispered so softly she almost missed it.

"I am, really. You shall have a son shortly it seems."

"That would be we."

"Well, yes, of course. I'm the one doing all of the work after all!"

He snorted. "So you are. I guess I need to get busy brewing then. I think I have an order I have yet to send to St. Mungo's I can give you one or two from that."

"Thank you."

More silence. Comfortable. Closeness.

"Evelynn says you allowed her to slice mushrooms tonight."

"I did. She wanted to try. I was behind her, my hands on hers the entire time."

"I'm not doubting you, Severus. I know you'd never do anything to harm her."

"Thank you."

"She wanted to learn?"

"She did. She enjoys watching me brew, and she knows that she is not to talk to me unless I tell her that she can."

"She mentioned Greta drew her that picture of a snitch."

"Yes."

"Have you seen other examples of her work?"

"I have. I don't have any, but she draws non-stop."

"Would you set up an appointment for her to come see me?"

"Why? Certainly drawing is not a sign of some buried trauma…"

"No, but I would like to talk with her about options that may be available to her if art interests her. Professor Franklin, while a good Muggle Studies teacher, doesn't seem to ever suggest to anyone they could have a career in the muggle world."

"Greta is a half-blood."

"I assumed being in Slytherin she was at least that, and I'd never suggest a muggle career to her. However, a muggle university that has a good art program…"

"Ah. Yes, I will let her know you asked to speak with her."

"Thank you."

"As my witch requests."

“Oh, really?"

"Yes."

"Well, I am feeling rather peckish."

"Did you not eat dinner?"

"Not for that, Severus."

"I see. Well, let's go get ready for bed then, Dear."

"I thought you'd never ask."

Return to Top

Part 15 | Part 17

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com