***Chapter Fifteen***
September 2007

It was Thursday, they’d been married eight years today. That also meant that she was now twenty-eight since her birthday was the day before. She still laughed when she thought about the fact it hadn’t even occurred to her that he’d have it either very easy remembering her birthday and their anniversary or he’d be in trouble gloriously every September.

He had yet to forget.

Tomorrow they were going on another trip. And, little did Severus know yet, they would hopefully accomplish the same thing they’d done on their last anniversary trip. Without the no orgasms for Hermione. She hoped not any rate.

“Mummy," Evelynn said, running toward her with her still somewhat clumsy five-year-old legs.

“There’s my sweetheart. Did you have a good day?"

“Yes," she said.

“Good. Are you excited to go stay with Auntie Ginny and Uncle Harry for a few days."

“Yes, but I don’t want James to pull my hair," she said.

She liked her hair in braids. Two full braids along each side of her dark hair. She had some wave, but not like her mother’s. Hermione thanked the stars that was the case.

“Well, I’ll be sure to tell Ginny and Harry to watch out for that. Frederick doesn’t pull your hair?"

“No, sometimes as an accident."

“By accident, but that’s good that you understand he doesn’t mean to," she said.

Frederick was two to Evelynn and James’ five so accidents did happen with things like hair and earrings and whatever else he could get into his hands or mouth.

“Where’s Daddy?"

“His office. Can I come with you?"

“Sure," she said.

Evelynn knew the way so didn’t need to hold her mum’s hand anymore, but she always did when they walked from their rooms in the dungeons to his classroom or office. She didn’t care for the stone steps much.

She was quite popular with the students who all knew her by now, except the first years she supposed. Evelynn could be seen following Severus around the castle like a little shadow when he wasn’t teaching. She took breakfast and lunch with him at the head table some days and if Hermione knew she was going to be late, dinner, too.

So, it was no surprise to Hermione as they walked through the halls that several students bid her daughter hello with a hello to the girl’s mother almost as an afterthought. Hermione would take offense except she knew she wasn’t seen here as much.

“Hallo, ‘fesser Filius," Evelynn said as they passed Filius in the halls. Filius was one of Evelynn’s favorites. Hermione suspected it was in part because of his height. Her daughter loved adults, this adult though wasn’t quite as much taller than her as the other adults in her life.

“Young mistress Snape. How are you? We missed you at breakfast today."

“Did you not have breakfast?"

“Nope," she said. “Daddy and I ate in our rooms." This was said in a whisper. An attempt of one anyway. The amused look on Filius’ face suggested he’d heard her and perhaps this wasn’t the first time Daddy and Evelynn had eaten in their rooms instead of the great hall.

“Oh, I see," Hermione said, wondering what brought that on. She’d left for her day and it sure looked as if Severus and Evelynn were ready for their days.

Evelynn settled closer to Hermione’s side and tugged on the waist of her robes.

“I wanted chocolate pancakes," she whispered. This was a true whisper, so she knew no one was supposed to hear it. Chocolate pancakes were not something she was supposed to get during the week.

“Oh," she said. Now she saw exactly what had happened. “Daddy let you have those during the week?"

She nodded, biting her lower lip just as Hermione did. It was eerie to see her habits reflected back at her. “I’m not s’posed to tell," she said.

“No, I imagine you aren’t. I won’t tell either, okay. Were they good?"

Hermione didn’t really care that he indulged the girl her love of chocolate chip pancakes during the week. It was just that the chocolate and syrup (because she had to have both) tended to make her rather high strung. They’d learned that with Patrice and agreed chocolate pancakes would be a once in a while weekend treat.

“Mm hmm," Evelynn said.

“Well, I’m glad. And school?"

“Fine," she said.

She was bored because the rudimentary things like writing letters and recognizing numbers she’d been doing for almost two years now was tedious. She and Severus were trying to cure her boredom by giving her more challenging things at home that wouldn’t make the next year boring as well. It was a fine line to walk. They wanted her to love school, didn’t want her so far ahead of her peers that she didn’t want to go. Or to where she was bullied or made fun of because she knew it all already.

“Good," she said.

Evelynn set her hand at the door when they’d arrived at Severus’ office. It recognized her, of course, and opened for her straight away.

“Ah, there are the Snape ladies," Severus said. “I was beginning to think you weren’t coming home tonight."

He was teasing her, of course. He knew damn well she was looking forward to this long weekend as much as he was.

“No, I just had to ensure everything was done. I don’t want to come back on Tuesday to work that I left for myself. It’s been a busy week."

She was based out of St. Mungo’s, but since she was new at this and it was new to the wizarding world she pretty much went where she was needed. If a healer had someone they thought she should see who wouldn’t come to her, Hermione went to them. Being this far removed from the war there weren’t as many students with issues as there had been three and four years ago. Not that students didn’t have their own set of problems without the war in play. They did, of course, and Poppy knew that Hermione would always make time, weekends and evenings even, if a student needed it.

No student would fall through the cracks or feel as if Hermione couldn’t make time for them.

To this point, it was going … well.

Slow.

Magical people were suspect, and her services weren’t exactly ones people were going to run out and tell others about her helping them. It wasn’t like a chiropractor or something. These were proud people who would have to admit to wanting to talk to a third party about whatever was on their minds. They would be admitting to others they were unable to cope without assistance, which could appear weak to a group of people who when all was said and done were quite proud. However, St. Mungo’s and the others who referred their patients to her did follow up with the patients she saw for feedback and such. That was how she got new patients.

“Understandable. I admit I’ll be doing much the same thing this evening."

“Would you like help?"

“I can’t ask you to help me when you had a full day’s work yourself."

“Well, you didn’t ask me, I offered. I want you relaxed this weekend, too."

“Very well," he said. “Are you off to your aunt and uncle’s house now, Evelynn?"

“Yes, Sir."

“Good. You behave and mind your manners. Most of all, have fun."

“I will," she said with a slight pout, scraping her black patent leather shoe against the floor.

“I wish I had another girl to play with like I do at school."

“Well, we can’t really do anything about that. Harry and Ginny only have sons, but perhaps one weekend we can have one of your friends over."

“Really?" she asked, brightening at the thought.

She attended primary school with other magical children in Hogsmeade, some were children of other professors and staff. They just didn’t live in the castle. Hermione hadn’t realized that was even an option. She was learning many things about Hogwarts and the magical world being on this end of things. No doubt Evelynn was learning them, too, growing up at Hogwarts as she was.

“We’ll have to see, and we’d probably do just a day to start with. I’m not sure your mum and I are ready for more than that."

“Okay," she said.

“All right. I’ll see you Monday before bed. Remember when Monday is?" They’d been through this because Evelynn was quite distraught at being separated for days from her parents.

She held up four fingers. “Four sleeps."

“Right," Severus also held up four fingers, wiggling them slightly which made Evelynn giggle. “Then we’ll be back."

She’d never been separated from them for more than one night at a time. So this would be a true test. Of course, it helped that James was her age. She was pretty sure Harry had arranged for Teddy to come at least for one of the days if not a night. And who knows, maybe Ginny would realize Evelynn would like a girl to play with and invite Victorie, too.

“Love you, Daddy," she said as he bent down to receive a hug and a kiss from his daughter.

“Daddy loves his girl, too."

She held up four of her small fingers again as she drew away from Severus. There were unshed tears shimmering in the young witch’s eyes. Hermione tried not to let it bother her that Evelynn seemed more upset about being away from her father for four sleeps than her mother. There were no tears about separation from mummy.

“I will see you shortly I assume then, Hermione, sans child?"

“Yes," she said, blushing a bit and Severus chuckled.

“I see your mind is right in line with mine. Excellent. Hurry then, Madam Snape, away with you and our daughter. Four sleeps undisturbed sounds incredibly titillating to your husband."

“Same," she said, taking Evelynn’s hand. Evelynn turned, looking over her shoulder and waved to Severus with her other hand. Hermione was pretty sure Severus didn’t hear the quiet little sob that Evelynn choked out as they started their journey to Grimmauld Place via floo.



“This is … nice," she said much later on the floor in their sitting room.

“I’m not sure I’d describe what we just did as nice, but if you want to."

She laughed softly, settling her head against his shoulder.

“I have a question for you."

“Mm hmm," he said, fingers going through her hair.

“Can we not use the charm this weekend?"

“Mm, is it time for a brother or sister then?"

“I think so," she said.

“I would be agreeable to that."

“I haven’t taken my potion so…"

“I see. You were assuming I’d agree."

“Well, yes, but I didn’t want to say something and then we have to wait a month."

“That would have been disappointing indeed." He chuckled, kissing her. “Of course there’s nothing saying it will be as easy as the first time."

“You think so?"

“It depends on how much time we spend out of our room I guess."

“I like the sound of that."

“And we still have time tonight to add to the chances."

“True," she said. “Anywhere other than the floor you want to increase those chances on?"

“Wherever you go, Witch, I follow." He laughed then. “We didn’t use a charm that time."

“No, you could have cast it afterward if you were really opposed."

He shrugged his shoulder a bit so she’d look at him. She lifted her head to do just that. He wasn’t mad, but he was looking serious.

“After this one I would appreciate more of an actual conversation."

“I know, Severus."

“I’m not trying to be difficult. We had mentioned two the first time we discussed it and I’m not saying that I wouldn’t be agreeable to a third but I’d rather have the conversation about a third with clothes on and not having just enjoyed the temptation that is my wife’s body. I knew the day would be coming sooner or later now that your schooling is done and you’ve found work without needing the muggle world."

"Do you not want another?"

“I think Evelynn would do well with a sibling. One. I also won't deny that you pregnant was … quite fun."

She laughed softly, kissing his shoulder. “Are you suggesting that I’m not fun now, Husband?"

“I’m not sure. Do that again and I’ll let you know," he said as she did exactly as he asked and kissed his shoulder. That led to her kissing his neck, which then led to a second use of the floor.

She was pretty sure he thought she was still fun now.

Return to Top

Part 14 | Part 16

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com