***Chapter Five***
December 25, 1999

As it turned out the invitation to join Justin's family was for early in the day. Harry's invitation was nowhere near as formal and they assumed they could show up whenever they wanted to if they chose to go. Since they hadn't formally (or informally for that matter) accepted, they surmised they wouldn't be expected to eat dinner whatever time they arrived.

They had accepted the Finch-Fletchley invitation.

Severus didn't particularly want to, but he knew that being married to someone who somewhat desired social outings, it was something he'd have to do. That and it would be rude to turn down an invitation from his former student's family who extended such an invitation to him.

He supposed he should look at getting the fireplace in his lab registered and connected with the wizarding floo network, but he was a long way off from that point. The fireplace in the basement and their flat were part of the reason he'd purchased this building. He had no idea if someone magical had built, or designed, it. It was an old enough building that the fireplaces were not thought of as odd additions. There hadn't always been electric heat. The only reason he thought of it today was that it would be far easier to enter Potter's home at Grimmauld Place without being seen via the floo.

And neither of them particularly cared to be seen yet.

"You look lovely," he said.

Her clothes weren't what drew his attention first. She had heels on, and he could admit to finding that he was a sucker for her wearing them. He'd had no idea he had such a … fetish. Until now.

"You clean up very well yourself," she said.

He was dressed all in black as per usual with the exception of his tie, which was Slytherin green in color of course. His socks were the same shade of green, not that anyone would catch more than a glimpse of those. She saw them, though, and laughed with a shake of her head at his choice in matching socks and tie.

She was wearing a black velvet dress. It wasn't Gryffindor red, but she'd seen it and thought it was appropriate for Christmas. She'd come home from shopping and thought he was going to be upset with her for spending as much as she had. He could honestly say, looking at her now, that whatever she spent was more than fine.

The hem fell just above her knee. It had a pretty low decollete so her scars showed, but Severus had assured her it looked fine without a glamour or anything in place. The love bites he'd left on the side of her neck just under her ear and the top of her breast last night also showed. Those she'd bargained with him on glamouring. She really had not wanted Justin's family to see them, which he found amusing as they were married.

So at lunch with the Finch-Fletchleys they would be hidden, the rest of the time not. She would allow him his need to claim his territory in front of her friends later since he was accompanying her to both of these places because of her desire to go. He knew exactly why he wanted them to be seen. She evidently did, too.

Not knowing if their hosts were teetotalers they brought both a bottle of wine and a box of excellent chocolates as gifts.

"Do you want me to glamour your arm?" he asked.

"No, not today," she said.

"You are certain?" That surprised him.

"Yes, I get the impression Justin's family is rather stuffy. I'd rather they see a scar versus thinking I have a tattoo."

"Don't want them thinking he's friends with a wild witch?"

"Well, I did marry you. I'm not sure they'll think anything but."

His lips quirked into the hint of a smile. "Touche, Madam Snape."

Gifts in hand they apparated near the Finch-Fletchley household. Severus let out a low whistle once they'd walked the short distance to the home from the apparition point Justin had told them would be safe to apparate to and from.

"I knew they were well to do. I mean, I didn't pay him much attention at all, but you can tell by how someone carries themself."

"I know what you mean. I think Justin told me once they are distantly related to the royal family. I guess that's not saying a whole lot, it seems most anyone can probably claim to be that from some distant branch of their family tree anymore."

"It would appear they really do quite well on their own."

It wasn't Malfoy Manor (where they'd be ending their day later tonight), but it was an impressive muggle home that had more rooms than a family could possibly have need of. It was a home that Severus Snape would have envied when he was Hermione's age. His mother had given up living in a home that exceeded this one to marry his father.

He imagined their home in the fifties when his mum and dad had first started their lives together was nice. It was a nice neighborhood and they had clearly put some effort into the furnishings and decor. He distantly recalled the stove and other appliances being new when he was a boy. Layoffs, alcohol, and misery led to things not getting taken care of, which led to basically nothing more than squalor. Even in the beginning, though, their home had not come close to this. This went beyond merely nice.

He wondered again, not for the first time how and why his mum had done it. For that matter, how had his dad gotten her to give it up?

"It would seem so," Hermione agreed.

A servant answered the door.

"Hermione and Severus Snape," Severus said without hesitation or any disdain coming through in his tone. Visiting homes with servants was not uncommon in the circles he had traveled. He wondered if it was for Hermione. He didn't imagine she had much reason to. Certainly the Weasleys didn't have servants. He knew her parents did well, but he didn't think they were to this level.

"Happy Christmas," the young woman said. She couldn't have been much older than Hermione. She was dressed in a black dress, rather plain and simple. Clearly, servants' attire.

"Happy Christmas," Severus and Hermione both said.

"May I take your coats? The others are in the reception room," she said, gesturing to the closed doors to their right.

"Thank you," Hermione said to both Severus and the servant. Severus helped her out of her coat before handing it off and then slid out of his own.

He dropped his hand to the small of her back, stroking her there with his thumb. He was aware that she liked him doing this (so did he), and walked with her to the reception room.

There were about twenty other people there. Susan's eyes lit up immediately upon seeing them. Severus never thought he'd see the day a former student was … happy to see him. Well aside from the one next to him anyway. He imagined it was an indication that she wasn't overly comfortable here in a house full of muggles. He didn't get the impression there had been any other witches or wizards in Justin's family tree.

"Hermione! Severus," she said their former professor's name with perhaps a little less enthusiasm as well as a bit of caution. "You made it."

"It was very easy to find," Severus said.

"I'm so glad."

They took seats next to Susan and Justin where Hermione joined in small talk with them about this and that. Severus joined in periodically, but mostly listened and observed. It was rather loud, clearly everyone else in the room knew one another. They were talking amongst themselves. Severus imagined distant relatives who saw one another at Christmas, Easter, and maybe one other time a year. Families like this had picnics and such. Foreign to Severus, but he knew they occurred.

The wizard thought that lunch was more than bearable. The Finch-Fletchleys seemed like decent people. It was clear they were in mixed company as far as knowledge of the magical world, so conversation was entirely about the muggle world and interests. Somehow during the course of the meal and the time that they stayed afterward before heading to Grimmauld Place they agreed to another movie and dinner night with the couple the weekend after next.

Never in his wildest imagination did he picture his life encompassing double dates.

Justin and Susan walked them to the door as they were leaving. They were the first to leave, making their excuses that they had another engagement to get to. Severus had been shocked the man's father shook his hand and seemed … pleased to do so. He was unaccustomed to parents of his former students liking him.

"I'm glad you came," Justin said, shaking Severus' hand. He was not used to this much physical touching. It was odd. Not in a bad way, just odd. "I was sure you were going to blow off the invitation."

"I won't deny the thought occurred to me, but you saved us the effort of cooking and having to clean up afterward."

Justin laughed heartily at that. "Well, I am glad we were able to do that then."

"Your father didn't seem to care for me much initially," Severus said.

"Well, I may have complained about you a few times over the years," Justin said, blushing at the admission. "He warmed up to you as the day went on, though."

"Ah," Severus said with a nod. "And he did. He was probably more pleasant than I would have been to him, assuming those stories are anything like I'd tell."

"I assured him that you more than made up for any mistreatment I may have perceived to have been on the receiving end of with your role in the war."

"At least he can't hex me."

"He wouldn't do that anyway."

Hermione hugged Susan.

"Say hi to Harry," they both said.

"I will."

"Try not to hex anyone," Susan said with a smirk at Severus.

"Only for Hermione's sake will I refrain, believe me. I have no doubt that I will be tempted more than once before the night is over."

They took their leave then. Severus glanced back at the house for a moment.

"They seem nice."

"This surprises you?"

"Well, yes. I mean, Lucius was not inherently nice. Nor was anyone with the means this family seems to have, including my maternal bloodline."

She slid her hand around his arm and tugged him closer. "I'm glad you are able to see that not everyone is like that."

"This is the most social I've been in my entire life," he drawled as they returned to the apparition point to make their way to Grimmauld Place.

"Do I have to worry about your health?"

"Not yet. Ask me again after we deal with people who the last time I saw them were wanting me dead."

"Not everyone wanted you dead," she protested.

"Other than you that is."

She shrugged, apparently unable to argue with him on that point as they apparated to the step leading to Grimmauld Place.

Hermione reached across him and rang the bell with her right hand before sliding it back into his left. She squeezed and he returned the gesture.

"It will be fine."

"Says you. These people like you."

"They'll like you, too. They don't know you, Severus, not really. You can change that. If you give them a chance, if you let down your walls even just a little bit and interact with them they will."

He snorted. They absolutely would not. At least not tonight. Maybe eventually, but tonight he'd be the evil wizard who somehow ensnared her.

"It's kind of you to say so."

He wasn't going to argue with her. He knew better.

Harry opened the door, cutting off any further comment anyway. Surprise showed in his eyes at the sight of them. He was dressed rather festive, muggle, but festive nonetheless.

"Oh," he said, clearly surprised. Of course, Severus had years of observing this wizard to know his moods.

"Hello, Harry, Happy Christmas," she said.

"Hermione," he said, stepping out from the door to hug her. "I really didn't expect you'd come."

"Should we not have? Did you not want us to?"

"No, of course not. I do! Truly. I wouldn't have invited you if I didn't want you here. I'm just surprised. What did you say to convince him?"

"Well, I promised him a good shag in the bath later if he acted like a good wizard for the day."

Harry coughed and Severus smirked. Oh, he liked this side of Hermione. He'd have to ask her another time if shagging in the bath was on her list of things to do. They hadn't experimented in the bath yet.

"Seriously, Harry, we decided to come. Are you going to let us in? Or should we leave?"

"No, come in," he said, stepping back inside so they could follow him.

"Thank you," she said.

Severus moved to release her hand once they crossed over the threshold, but Hermione wouldn't let go. His eyes widened at her in surprise. He assumed she'd want the contact to end once they were among people who knew her well. He couldn't deny he liked the contact.

"Look who I found on the doorstep," Harry said once they were in the parlour where everyone else seemed to be gathered.

"Hermione!" came the cry from several voices, sounding excited to see their friend. A few noticed him, but were not paying close enough attention to see their intertwined hands. Or so it seemed anyway.

"Happy Christmas," she said, regarding everyone in the room.

It seemed that she knew most of the people, but there were a few she did not know or even seem to recognize. He knew this only by the slight look of question in her eyes as she looked at them. He assumed they were aurors, people Harry had met through work.

"What's he doing here?" Ron said from his seat. Ever astute and blunt. Weasley.

"I'm with him," Hermione said, squeezing his hand.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ron asked.

"Well, Ron," she said, letting Harry take their coats. "I wouldn't show up on Christmas without my husband."

"It's Christmas not April Fool's Day," he said.

"I'm aware of the day and we came because we were invited."

"I'm sure the invitation was only for you."

"No, it wasn't," Harry offered.

"You knew she was married to the git and said nothing?"

"His name is Severus, or Mr. Snape I suppose to you, and it wasn't my secret to tell."

"You're on a first name basis with him now?"

"He's married to my best friend. Our best friend. He was friends with my mother. He saved our lives. More than once. Maybe you as a pureblood yourself don't put much stock into what he did, but Hermione and I raised by muggles sure do. We like having the option of a place in the wizarding world."

Molly had escaped into the kitchen Severus noticed, looking none too pleased. He was sure the older witch had assumed Hermione would return to the magical world and fall into her son's waiting arms thinking that she'd have no idea he'd dated his way through a couple of quidditch teams' worth of witches from the sounds of it. Severus realized the rumours might not be true. It really didn't matter whether they were or not. Molly likely expected this witch to be her daughter in-law. Wanted it. Severus couldn't blame her.

It was part of the reason he'd made the offer to her he had. He'd been afraid if he didn't that she'd end up back in the magical world in the other wizard's arms for lack of being able to attend university as she desired. Did he know that would happen? No.

Weirder things had happened when people felt their situation was helpless!

He should know.

He hadn't expected to actually develop feelings for her or her for him. Neither had spoken of the existence of feelings to this point, but he could only presume that she wouldn't engage in the activities they did each night if she didn't feel something for him. He also knew things about the ring he'd given her that she was not aware of.

When making the offer he assumed he'd aid her and set her free when she'd finished her schooling, but by then she wouldn't be tempted to end up with Weasley. She deserved so much better. He wanted her to have better. He wanted her to achieve what she'd left the war wanting to do. Of all the students he'd taught over the years, she deserved to do so.

"Well, I don't want him ruining my Christmas," Ron said.

"Then you can leave," Harry said. "I invited them here. This is my house. You know where the door is. That goes for anyone else, too."

Ginny chose then to walk up to them, throwing her arms around Hermione.

"I'm so glad to see that you truly are alive and looking very well. Harry told me of your letters, but it's nice to see it for myself. And you, Professor, you are looking well, too."

"Miss Weasley," he said, nodding his head slightly. He had to admit, Ginevra was not too tedious. "Thank you. You are looking very well yourself."

Ginny took hold of Hermione's left hand and raised it. "My, you don't do anything halfway, do you, Professor?" she said, her thumb grazing over the stones on Hermione's ring.

"You may call me Severus, Miss Weasley."

"I'd be honoured. Ginny, please."

"Ginevra," he said with a nod and she gave a cheeky giggle.

"That's better than Miss Weasley at any rate. Don't let Ron bother you," she said, dropping Hermione's hand and waving in her brother's direction. "He'll get over it."

Severus followed his wife and Ginevra Weasley further into the room. A spot where they could sit next to one another opened up and Severus took a seat, offering his hand to Hermione so she could sit as well.

"There's no record of a marriage at the Ministry," Ron said in the background. "We would've heard about it I'm sure if there was. It would have been news! It would've been everywhere."

"Because we didn't get married in the magical world, you imbecile," Severus hissed through clenched teeth. Was he really going to do this here and now? Question the fact that they were actually married?

"Then it doesn't count!"

"I'd say the priest who married us would say quite different, Mr. Weasley."

Ron's face reddened at that.

Hermione chose to sit on his leg instead of next to him, sliding her arm around his neck as she adjusted herself on him.

"We are married, Ron, legally and officially and have been since September."

"You're crazy. He's confounded you or something."

"No, he really hasn't, Ron," Harry said.

"I actually think it's great," George said from his spot in the room.

"Thank you, George," Hermione said. "I happen to think so, too."

"Hmm," Severus said, watching the others as they alternated between staring at the unlikely couple and purposely looking at anything but them.

He had to admit it was a little fun. He would love to be here later, disillusioned, to hear what everyone said. Then he probably didn't want to, not really.

"Molly left the room," he whispered into Hermione's ear.

"I noticed. I have nothing to apologize for. I did not leave owing anyone or having promised anything."

"Good for you," he whispered, leaning in to kiss her.

"Gross," Ron said, obviously having been watching them.

For good measure he refrained from ending the kiss with any haste involved, drawing away from her only when necessary to breathe. It wasn't obscene or anything, even he wasn't classless as to do that. Severus was quite certain the redheaded wizard saw at least one of the love bites he'd left her last night. He was pretty sure Ginevra had as well. She'd smirked where Ronald had scowled. Immaturely territorial perhaps, but he couldn't resist. He'd known the wizard would be here. And truthfully he had never had a witch to be territorial about before. He wanted to enjoy it a bit. And flaunt it some. He wasn't sure what that made him.

"I think it's romantic," Ginny said. "And actually makes sense. They're both so smart and able to do whatever they put their minds to."

"Thank you, Ginny," Hermione said.

Eventually, Ron seemed to settle down and Severus and Hermione fell into various conversations with everyone there. He did continue to glare at them, but he at least kept his snide comments to himself.

Eventually, the only ones left were Ron and his date who must have been wondering what she was doing with someone so rude, Longbottom and Luna who appeared to be together as well as Harry and Ginny.

"So are you going to come for New Year's then?" Ron asked.

"I don't think so," Hermione said. "I think this was more than enough for us for the time being."

They had talked with Luna to meet for an interview. With Harry's assistance, Luna would come to the store two Sundays from now and sit down with them so that the wizarding world could be told about their situation. Those that were here tonight promised not to say anything until after the interview came out.

No one wanted to be on the bad side of Severus Snape. War hero or not, they all knew he had the ability to be viciously mean and no one wanted to be on the receiving end of his wrath. Hermione wasn't someone to be messed with either. He hadn't thought about it until now, but they were well suited in that regard as well, assuming that viciousness wasn't directed at her and vice versa, of course.

He wasn't sure that boded well for any disagreement they might have that might escalate into a full fledged argument.

"It's my first time ringing in the New Year as a husband, Mr. Weasley, I have no desire to spend it with anyone but my wife."

"Do you plan on getting out of bed at all that night, Severus?" Ginevra asked.

"Only when nature calls," he quipped, causing Hermione to blush profusely. He found that rather endearing. Neither Ron nor Neville looked too pleased at this topic but neither said anything.

"Well, that definitely sounds like my idea of how to ring in the New Year," Ginevra said.

"It's even a better idea when the witch in question is my wife."

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me, Harry," Ginevra said. She slapped his knee. He assumed this was good natured.

"It wasn't my secret to tell. I wasn't even sure they were going to come today."

"I get it, but still. I'm your girlfriend, Harry Potter!"

Severus suspected somehow that wouldn't be the end of the discussion on keeping secrets from his girlfriend.

"Harry," Hermione said, standing from the couch and tugging on Severus' hand. "There are a couple of books in the library I wanted to show Severus. Is it okay if I do that?"

Ron scoffed, shaking his head a bit with a knowing smirk. "At least some things haven't changed. She's still interested in nothing but books."

"I assure you, Mr. Weasley, she has other leisurely pursuits. It evidently just took the right wizard for her to see that doing can actually be more fun than just reading."

Ron blushed at that. He said nothing further.

"Go right ahead, Hermione, you know the way," Harry said. He looked amused and not uncomfortable, which sort of surprised Severus.

"I do, thanks," she said.

"Am I in trouble?" he asked once they were alone in the library with the door closed. He was not expecting her to slide her arms around him and kiss him deeply.

"I guess not," he said, murmuring against her lips.

"Feeling amorous, Madam Snape?" he queried, finding her neck and the bite mark he knew was already there.

"Mm hmm," she said.

They were normally in bed by this time in the evening doing their nightly exploration of one another before sleep overtook them.

She reached down to the front of his slacks, squeezing lightly as she moved her hand along his length. He wasn't hard yet, but she was quickly changing that with her efforts. Her hands on any part of his body always aroused him.

"Hermione," he murmured, moving so her back was against the door instead of his.

He slid his hand over her thigh and along her thigh, pushing the skirt of her dress up as he went and she gasped into his mouth at his touch. Her sounds were enough to undo him most of the time. She was so sincere. She wanted, desired, his touch. His hands on her aroused her.

He realized as his hand felt her bare upper thigh, hip, and arse cheek that she wasn't wearing nylons that went all the way up to her waist.

Or knickers.

"Merlin, Hermione, you left the house like this?"

His not being hard was no longer an issue. At all.

She gave a soft giggle, kissing the side of his mouth.

"Just imagine what Justin's parents would think if they knew."

He scoffed, he had no doubt they would have perished over their first course salad if they'd realized this witch was sitting at their very formal dinner party with no knickers. "Just what did you have in mind this evening, Witch?"

"I wasn't really sure, but knew I wanted to do something fun in this house."

"Fun?"

She giggled again, working the front of his trousers open so she could touch him.

"Yes."

"What is it you have in mind now?"

"Do you really need to ask me that when I have my hand wrapped around your cock and I'm wearing no knickers?"

"You've had your hand on my cock while wearing no knickers several times now, Hermione."

"I want you, Severus."

"Hermione, my witch, I refuse for your first time to be in this house with your friends probably listening at the door with those extendable ears George Weasley sells because they don't believe we are truly married."

"I was looking forward to giving the portraits something really scandalous to tell Walburga Black and on Christmas Day no less."

"Another time, Wife, I assure you I would be more than willing to assist you in putting her even further out of her mind."

She laughed then. "That kind of turns me on."

"I think with you most anything would."

"Not true."

"No?"

"Mm, Kreacher not so much."

He chuckled, nuzzling her neck. "That is exceedingly good to know, especially given your interest in house elves once upon a time."

"Bastard," she murmured with a laugh.

"Does this invitation extend to our bed when we get home?"

"I'm pretty sure it does," she said.

"Then let's get the hell out of here so we can visit Draco and get home sooner rather than later."

"Anxious, Wizard?"

"Mm, intrigued by just how pleasant being inside of you completely will feel."

"Me, too," she whispered.

"And I repeat, let's get the hell out of here," he said, moving her hand out of the way so he could put himself together again.

He repeated the process for her, straightening the skirt of her dress. A quick wave of his hand and neither of their clothes were wrinkled in a suspicious way. A second wave of his hand and her makeup and hair were refreshed.

She leaned up and kissed him.

"Let's go say good night."

He grabbed her hand, preventing her from opening the library door just yet. He kissed the back of it, eyeing her curiously. He had not expected this tonight.

"This isn't because I came here today, is it? Or to try to get out of seeing Draco?"

"Severus, no! Why would you think that?"

He shrugged. He had no doubt that she did in fact desire him. As odd as he believed it to be, she did. They'd engaged in enough activities for him to know her reactions were sincere and genuine.

"It's just rather sudden. And here in the Black library?"

"I told you I want to be your wife in every way weeks ago, Severus. And I do. You. Not because of anything or anyone else. You've made getting to this point more than enjoyable and a little frustrating when I can't go further I assure you."

He knew why she could go no further. He saw it in her eyes every time they got close to consummating their marriage. She got scared. While nothing had happened to her in that way while being held captive at Malfoy Manor, the threat had been there and it was taking a while to get over that fear. She certainly had no problem with any other act they'd done. Weeks ago he'd dipped into her mind at such a time when he saw the fear overtake her. He wished he could kill Bellatrix himself. Greyback, well, he'd get his Severus knew, if the werewolf hadn't already.

He hoped stopping at Malfoy Manor was not a mistake.

He'd brought it up since they were making an appearance in the wizarding world and Draco was his godson. He almost asked if she wanted him to glamour her arm, but realized she would not want that. Not because she enjoyed making anyone uncomfortable but she wasn't going to hide what happened to her. Offering to glamour it would make her think he was choosing the Malfoys' comfort over that of his wife. That was not the example or precedence he wanted to set.

They made their way downstairs and said their goodbyes mostly to Harry and Ginevra. The others that remained were distant even if they did bid them good night and Happy Christmas.

"Are you sure you're up for this?"

"No," she admitted. He knew it wasn't easy for her to be so open with her response.

They both had demons when it came to Malfoy Manor. She was aware of that. She didn't ask about his, which he appreciated.

Immensely.

He laced his fingers through hers, squeezing it a bit.

"Permit me the privilege of doing a side along with you."

"Of course," she said, adjusting her coat just enough.

He wondered if she found it as odd as he did to be going to magical places in muggle clothes. Probably not. Certainly not as strange as he found it. He couldn't recall the last time he'd worn muggle clothes in the wizarding world. With a deep breath, hoping this was the right thing to do, he focused on Malfoy Manor.

They didn't stay long, enough to give Draco a present and for godfather and godson to enjoy an after dinner drink. The tension between his godson's mother and his wife was palpable. Narcissa had made herself scarce once the formal pleasantries surrounding their visit were finished. His godson and wife had been pleasant to one another even if the visit was a little strained.

Lucius had been unable to buy his way out of a stint at Azkaban this go around, but from what Severus heard he hadn't tried that hard in order to ensure his wife and son stayed free. It was, in Severus' eyes, the most honourable his old friend had ever been. Draco's house arrest ended this past spring and he was now rather lost as no one wanted to give him a job.

Severus knew his godson had enough money, even with the restrictions the Ministry put on the Malfoys. Draco didn't seem to want to live on the Malfoy money alone. He wondered what Narcissa felt about her son … working. He could only imagine.

Hermione had suggested muggle university and Severus could tell his godson would think long and hard on that option even if he'd feigned scoffing and brushed it off as being beneath him. Draco had tells so he was aware of his godson's thoughts mayhaps more so than the young wizard was. He would never allow Hermione to know that, but he would think about what she'd said. She'd even offered to look at various options with him and the coursework he might be interested in. At their place not here, but she'd still extended the offer.

He would, at some point, need to support himself. Severus had faith that his godson would eventually want to become his own person. Not Lucius Malfoy's son and heir, but Draco Malfoy. He wasn't sure he'd get that in the wizarding world as soon the young wizard would like. People still brought up things Severus had done twenty years ago trying to show that he was loyal to Voldemort all along.

"Will we see you for New Year's then?" Draco asked as they were taking their leave for the night.

Severus scoffed. "I think not."

Hermione being agreeable to coming here for a quiet night just the four of them was entirely different than getting her to agree to a party. He doubted it would be as grand of an event as New Year's Eve had been previously in this house. However, it was still more than she would want to do. He wouldn't even ask. In truth, he didn't want to go either. Draco he cared about. Narcissa not as much. He, in fact, considered it his duty now more than ever to try to help the young wizard find his footing in this new world.

"Well, the invitation stands of course."

"Yes, well, I presume we'll be happily occupied just the two of us."

Draco paled a little at that. "Way more than I wanted to know."

"Happy Christmas, Draco," Hermione said.

"Happy Christmas," he said, bowing his head properly.

"That should do me as far as socializing until next Christmas."

Hermione sniggered softly before they apparated back to their place. Both sighed, grateful to be home even if neither said so outright.

He did not go to sleep that night regretting having stopped at Malfoy Manor in the least.

Return to Top

Part 4 | Part 6

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com