***Chapter Forty-Eight***
July 1999

Hermione shuddered around him, the wet tips of her hair leaving little beads of water on her breasts as Severus continued pumping inside of her. His hands at her hips were gripping her tight, fingertips clutching her arse hard enough there'd likely be a bruise or two when they were done. With as good as he felt, she didn't care. Her back rubbing against the pond's wall probably wasn't that great either. She'd been unsure of skinny dipping in a pond with him, but he'd used his tongue in a most pleasing way to convince her that maybe it would be a good idea.

A very good idea indeed.

"Fuck, Severus," she cried out because he wasn't near done yet from what she could tell.

"I thought that was what I was doing," he murmured, finding one of the beads of water on her breast and licking it off before sucking on the skin there.

"So good," she murmured.

He shook his head, not removing his mouth from her breast. He'd developed the habit of leaving a mark or two on her breasts and she never minded. The first time or two, he'd looked almost (adorably not that she'd tell him that she thought so) bashful. Until she'd reciprocated. He thought she'd find them … childish. She personally didn't care what they did together as long as they both liked it. She loved the sound the water made sloshing around them as he thrust in and out of her. She could tell from that when he was nearing completion, bringing her hand between her legs to help herself climax again since his hands were occupied.

He raised his head from her breast then, pressing his forehead against hers. She gave a soft laugh at the sound of his breathing. Then hers wasn't exactly at a resting pace either. She loved an out of breath Severus. That she was the cause of it, made things inside of her clench in ways she hadn't imagined being possible until now.

"Remind me never to scoff at your sex ideas again," she murmured against his hair.

He chuckled, finding her ear and nipping at it.

"This right here makes me want to take them up on their offer…"

"Mm, Severus Snape likes outdoors sex then?"

"With you, yes. It would seem so."

"Well, that is good to know because if it was another witch…"

"No, no, no other witches but you."

"Well, we have about four more weeks, and plenty of outdoors to explore here."

"That we do."

She slid her hands to his hair, bringing his head to meet hers for a kiss.

"Love you," she whispered, kissing his chin.

"And I love you," he said.

She wiggled her hips against him, noticing he hadn't completely pulled out of her yet.

"Not done yet?"

"I was thinking about it."

"Really now?"

"Yes," he hissed as she clenched around him. "God you are amazing. Every inch of you."

"Well, there aren't as many inches on me as there are on you." She waggled her eyebrows at him. "And may I commend you on using those inches I don't have in an exceptionally good way."

He chuckled. "I am relieved my extra height pleases you so, Madam Snape."

"It wasn't your height I was referring to, Severus."

"No?"

She laughed, kissing him again and neither said anything for a while after that. Eventually, they made their way out of the pond and onto the towels they'd brought with them. The sun had just set so it would get cool soon, but for now they were comfortable. Hermione liked the feeling of the light breeze brushing against her bare, and still aroused, nipples.

"You are a nymphomaniac, I am beginning to be sure of that diagnosis being true," he muttered after she'd let a soft groan escape her lips when he was doing nothing to her. "Not that I'm complaining."

"I am beginning to think you're right. Or you're just addicting."

"Mm. Well, you are very much like a drug, so we are even."

"We should probably get back though before it gets dark," she whispered.

"Scared to be out here alone with me all night?"

"No, I am confident in your abilities to keep me warm and safe. I, however, am famished after that."

He snorted.

"Let's go get you fed then," he said.



Cooking with him was more comfortable this summer than it was last summer. She was better at cooking for one, and he felt less like a guest than he had before. She supposed it helped, too, that they were just in general more comfortable around one another. Inadvertent touching of hands didn't much matter now, where last summer it had been different. New. Uncertain.

"No word from Draco yet?" he asked.

She chuckled. Not at his question necessarily, but that they were just now getting to talk about her job. Or his job. Or anything but having their hands on one another. "No," she said with a shake of her head.

Draco had not reacted to the news of their marriage well. She wasn't sure why. He'd known they were involved. Harry and Severus thought he was jealous. She didn't think so, but she wasn't great at reading things like that.

"He'll come around."

"I know. Harry doesn't understand it either," Severus knew this. "He's asked Draco about it but didn't have anything to tell me." She shrugged.

"Maybe we bruised his ego. He does think he's rather irresistible."

"I never showed interest in him! Ever."

"I know that, and think he does, too. Even the Halloween you dressed as Catwoman, it was clear you didn't consider him your escort or anything. That is why I think he'll come around."

"I hope so. I kind of miss him," she said with a sigh. Morgana, thinking back to her first year, she never thought she'd say that about the wizard.

Harry worked at the Ministry, as the DMLE was based out of there, so she saw him somewhat regularly. Draco was doing who knew what, so he was not as visible or readily accessible. She got the impression he was living off the Malfoy money.

She couldn't understand that thought process, and it was one of the reasons that she loved Marie and Erik. Their kids and their kids' kids' kids were all learning that hard work was a part of life.

Her parents, on the other hand, while it took them a few dinners to … warm up to Severus, and the fact that they were able to get legally married the way they did, liked him. She wasn't sure he and her dad were going to sit around the telly watching Manchester U play over drinks anytime soon. They were tolerant of him, and seemed to understand that she wasn't prone to bouts of irrational behaviour. So they trusted she knew what she was doing. That was good.

Marie and Erik, for their part, had sent them a congratulatory owl (well, Marie had, but included Erik's name), but that was the extent of their comment on the fact they'd eloped.

"Speaking of Harry," she said.

"Were we actually talking about him?"

"Ha ha. Indirectly. I saw his mum and dad the other day at work." She knew she sounded … cautious. She didn't mean to. She wasn't threatened by the witch, but it was sort of an odd situation.

"Oh?"

"Yes. His mum congratulated us, and told me to tell you hello."

"Mm, you can certainly return the sentiment the next time you see her. She looked well?"

"She did," she said with a shrug. She'd seen Harry's parents a few times over the years, but didn't know them really to know if they looked well from one visit to the next.

"I'm glad that is so. And James?"

"He didn't say much to me. Looked at me a little oddly."

He scoffed. "Yes, well, I'm sure he's wondering how it happened."

"Oh, I told him you were hung like a centaur," she said with a wink.

"While I would be grateful for that … embellishment, I know that you said nothing of the sort."

"I know. I didn't. I thought it, though. I wouldn't embarrass you like that. I think he was just confused a bit when I told him that I was staying here."

"Ah, that makes sense, since I have my own home, and most would presume you'd be staying there."

"Right. I guessed that was the case. I told him that. I mean, that I'd committed to housesitting. It's not as if you have pets or we have children to whether you stay here or there matters."

"You're fine, Hermione, they can't, and don't, bother me."

"It's just weird sometimes."

"Only sometimes?"

"Stop. I mean, if I wasn't married to you, they'd be my friend's parents: Mr. and Mrs. Potter, but because I am married to you they're suddenly Lily and James."

"I find it equally weird, trust me."

She tilted her head a bit, thinking on that. She imagined it was odd for him, too. Even if he didn't see them. He had to know their paths would cross at the Ministry building even just occasionally.

"I'm sure you do."

"It also helps that you have already been delegated as supervisor of your own division within the Archives. You've earned their respect. That wasn't via me. That was you, your hard work, your organizational skills, and your mind."

She was now the supervisor of the Department of Records, a sort of subdivision of the Archives. Basically, historical documents that covered births, deaths, marriages, and divorces as well as legal documents such as wills and deeds, property ownership, and so on.

Of course these things were documented before, but they weren't easily accessible or kept in a very organized fashion. That might have been the blame of clerks in control of those documents not caring for their jobs. Eventually, her plan was to talk to every department who filed documents within the Ministry to find out how she could ensure proper records were actually kept.

She planned on adding newspaper articles eventually, too. She wasn't to that point yet. It was a new division, created for her because, until now, there'd been no system or organization to these records. She was starting small, and figured she could add to her focus as she went along.

So, in theory, someone could come looking for Great Great Grandpa Winston's will because a portrait told them that there was one that had never been read. It was a process that she was still working on the organization and flow chart of, because documents had to be cross referenceable. Great Great Grandpa Winston married someone else's great great aunt and her family only know her by Beauchamp. Well, Great Great Aunt Beauchamp had no property specifically, but she might by way of her husband's name, Winston.

Or, for that matter, genealogy. There were families outside the Sacred 28 who had family trees, but why more weren't curious surprised her.

She hoped eventually to add classes on the subject, but wanted to be organized and get a family tree or two put together to use as an example first. She'd thought of doing Erik and Marie, but realized that would be a little awkward. There would be no parents, no ancestors. It seemed silly to draw attention to that fact when they'd successfully avoided anyone digging deeply into their roots to this point. So, she shelved that idea. She hadn't even mentioned it to Severus. She didn't want him thinking she was pushing to do his family tree. (Though she was kind of curious because he knew absolutely nothing about his father's side of things.)

Part of her job also required her to visit homes. This is what she was waiting for a response from Draco on. Sometimes Grandpa Winston's descendants didn't want the original to be kept at the Ministry. So, she'd visit them, copy it, certifying it as a magical copy. They kept their precious piece of parchment. The Ministry had a record. So, at least it was filed. Merlin, she wondered how the Sacred 28 knew who was and wasn't a relative of theirs!

Once this was done, she planned on tackling other projects similar in nature. Things had to be easier to find! Once she tackled these type of documents, she'd move onto the historical documents that weren't personal in nature. That would be interesting, as she imagined there were some documents that were going to read very differently than they did the original go around.

Especially Thomas Prins' Hogwarts experience and career.

She hoped to be able to talk to Marie and Erik about them when she got to that point. Marie had mentioned they still had the original Hogwarts: A History as well as a few other books that they'd brought with them.

The best part of her job? She didn't really deal with anyone else. She was left to her own devices for the most part, and she got to read through documents. So she was learning while she worked. She was the supervisor, but she had no one else working for her at this time. So, she was the division for now. She hoped that would change eventually, but for now she had to figure out a system. She didn't want too many of them working while she was trying to establish that.

"And tomorrow night?"

He scoffed. She knew this part of being married to her was going to drive him nuts as the years went on. She had a department dinner, that of course included spouses much to his chagrin. "I will be by your side, as required and expected of your groom."

"Thank you," she said, smiling at him.

"So long as I don't have to hex anyone because of a Catwoman or Arabian dancer costume."

"I don't think you have to worry about that. It's just a dinner at Maximus' house."

"I know, Dear. I will be on my best behaviour, and even refrain from scowling."

"Thank you. That is most appreciated, as your scowl can be quite scary. And since I'm certain there will be people there who've had you as a professor, I'd like to avoid them being scared."

That was an understatement, as pretty much everyone had him for a professor, in one form or another.

"My concern is you being displeased with my behaviour, Hermione, not them."

"I know. However, I have to work and deal with these people."

"Why couldn't you endeavour to be a librarian, too."

She laughed softly. "Why? So you could spy on me and make sure I'm not doing anything untoward?"

He huffed.

"Oddly, because I should perhaps be worried about that, however, no, I know you well enough to know you would not stray. You're not built that way. No, that's not my concern. I just hate … being social."

"I know. I promise we'll leave as soon as we are able to. Surely you have things for Hogwarts?"

"Other than staff meetings, not usually. You know the others, the parties and dances, head of house duties. Otherwise, no. I'm sure it will shock you to discover that Albus does not call on me to do things that require someone with a bubbly personality in order to make Hogwarts look good. He knows I'm not his man for that."

"I know. I'm teasing."

"I have, however, been invited to be a speaker at a potions conference over the upcoming Christmas holidays, in Greece."

"Really?"

"I just received the request this week. I hadn't said anything because I was looking over the material to see if I wanted to go. I've decided it would be worthwhile so thought I'd see if you wanted to take the entirety of the break and make a trip out of it. The conference is only three or four days, and I don't think I'd be required to be there other than the day of my actual presentation."

Morgana, that sounded incredible. She'd been to Greece with her parents once. She was fairly young, and there would be something special about seeing historical things with him.

"I'd love to!"

He smirked, and she wished she could be upset about being so … easy to please.

"I figured you might be interested in such a trip."

"Are you serious?"

"Do I appear to be in a joking mood, Hermione? Why would you think I am joking?"

"Well, no, but Greece?"

"One of the benefits of being a leader in my field."

"So we can see The Acropolis, walk where Plato walked, and well, a trip to the beach would be nice, too?" Her parents hadn't taken her to the beach. They hadn't been very interested, and she was too young to really care.

He chuckled. "We can do whatever you like."

"I'm not sure what to do with you this agreeable. Are you okay?"

He snorted. "I am fine. Though we do need to talk about your accommodations once Erik and Marie return."

"I just assumed I'd live with you, which is why I didn't bring anything with me from Mum and Dad's beyond what I need day to day," she frowned. What an odd subject to bring up. She didn't have a home, so where else would she live? "Oh," she said then, realization dawning on her. Her heart plummeted a bit. They hadn't talked much about what was going to happen once the summer was over, Erik and Marie returned, and Hogwarts was back in session for him.

"What, oh?" he asked.

"You're not assuming that I'm guessing."

"You would be happy in my home, Hermione?"

"Well, that would be the idea being your wife and all, Severus, yes."

"It is not this," he said, gesturing to the house of the kitchen they were sitting in.

"I know it's not. You think that bothers me."

"I have seen your parents' home. Mine, while not anything to be ashamed of, is nothing to brag about either."

"It's what's inside that matters, isn't it? Honestly, Severus, you're talking about taking me to Greece. I'd much rather do that than live in a monstrosity of a house and never do anything."

"You should have both," he said, lips tight. That meant he was thinking something.

"Mm, I assume you're talking about Draco, and you think that's why he's not talking to me."

He shrugged. "Realistically, I know that's not the case. His father would not approve, and he's not man enough to buck the patriarch of his family. And his money. However, Harry Potter's not lacking for means either."

"Harry's like my brother, Severus, don't be silly."

"He has a sister. Two of them actually. You are not either of them."

"So you what? Think I'm having buyer's remorse a month later?"

"I think that you are not yet twenty years old and just strapped yourself to a man who has done nothing with his life but remain hidden at Hogwarts for almost three quarters of it."

"Untrue. You invented potions and spells, Severus. You did that. Erik purposely didn't, so that you could still come up with them. You worked with me for years so that I could excel and, whether you know it or not, those hours in your lab helped me immensely. I was able to turn it off: thoughts, pressure and just focus on what our project was for that day or week. I can talk to you unlike anyone else, other than Marie I suppose, but she's always been more like a grandmother than anything. I always just assumed she took pity on me. You, on the other hand, challenged me. You made me want to do better."

"Those encouragements, the ideas came from her."

"Yes, but you told me when I was doing better. I'd never gotten that from you before. I still have the first paper you returned to me with an O on it and no scathing remarks about regurgitating from books."

"As if you don't have a hundred of those going back to primary school."

"Not from you! You are such an incredible professor. I wish you could see that. Your personality makes it difficult for a student to approach you, so I think you believe they dislike you. Yes, I know to some you come across as mean and short, probably angry. However, it meant so much to me that you had nothing to say. I knew for sure then that what Marie had told me was valid. Until then, I wasn't entirely sure how much I should listen to her. And, well, it's how Draco and I became friends. Speaking of. Did she tell you she punched him?"

He chuckled. "No. I assume he deserved it?"

"He was an arse from what she showed me, so I'd say so."

"So, little has changed then? He's just a more likable arse this go around."

"Something like that. His father doesn't seem to have changed much."

"They never do."

"Do you truly think I'd bond with you on a whim? Without thinking it through?"

"It was a whim, Hermione."

"Shows what you know. I knew on Halloween I wanted to marry you."

"I will admit there were times over these past months since our first time that I've wished your potion had failed."

"Mm, really?" That surprised her. She could admit, the thought never occurred to her, but she wouldn't have been upset.

"Yes, not the reason to marry I realize, but yes."

Exactly what she was just about to come to the conclusion of. That was not the reason to get married.

"I would love to have a child with you, Severus. Why, though?"

He shrugged. "I'm not sure it's an explainable thing, other than I've never belonged. I am getting better with my mother, but I still never really belonged with, or to, her. To have that, to create that, with you is very appealing. Again, not the reason to have a child, I realize."

She nodded a bit. She imagined Erik felt much the same way, actually probably worse. He pretty truly had no one until Marie. No one who wanted him for him at any rate. How foreign that must have been for him to have anyone treat him with genuine kindness and affection.

Then her Severus had never gotten much true affection either. Yes, Marie and Erik loved him, but they had to be careful for a variety of reasons. It probably didn't matter so much with Marie, but Erik certainly couldn't be perceived as showing favouritism. There was a difference between being attentive to a gifted student and obviously putting them above others. Never mind Erik would have had grandchildren at Hogwarts at the same time.

"Can you picture doing that here?" she asked, broaching the offer of them being able to purchase this house and the property.

"Do you really want that work, Hermione? I'm not of the mind that taking care of the house is the woman's work. You know I'm not I hope, but much as Erik was, I will be at Hogwarts ten months out of the year. I'd like to think about leaving, but not yet. I want to make certain of my path before I do. It sounds like Headmaster Dippet was accommodating of his needs to go home weekends once in a while, but I'm not sure Albus would do the same. Times are different now. The crops and livestock could go, but it is still a large home."

"I know, but they didn't leave here."

"Your point?"

She huffed.

"Yes, it was different. I know that things did and didn't happen in certain ways. However, they are still … us. I walk through these rooms and think ‘I would have chosen this, too'. And they built a happy life here. In this home, despite knowing the family who lived here before them weren't given the chance to do that. It's very private. You don't think he thought of the fact he was given this, despite it probably being insufficient payment for his sacrifice even today? That he didn't think this … wasn't truly his? He hadn't earned it? I think most, if they knew, would say a house, with no guarantee of anything else, wasn't enough."

"She did it, too."

"She did, because she believed in him, Severus."

He huffed.

"Oh, come on. I can assure you that if she'd been presented with the idea with someone like Remus or Sirius she would not have done it. He seemed surprised during their initial conversation that she would want fidelity from him. Remus, yes he probably would have been able to abide by that before they were intimate. Sirius, though? I wouldn't have been able to do it, thinking he was sleeping around either, no matter my age. That's not what marriage is for, and it would be hard to present a happy one if she knew he was doing that. So, no. She believed in him, just as I believe in you. It was what bothered me so much my first year that you wouldn't do much more but dismiss me. I knew even then that you were a person worthy of talking to. I craved that, and I have rarely found it in someone in my peer group. Neither had she. If you weren't part of the decision, I would live here and they would likely end up leaving it to me in the event something happened to them since I had been the caretaker for so long. You are part of the equation. I like it here, Severus. It's peaceful, and our world is rather chaotic at times. I love the feeling of, well, love that I get when I'm here. So much of it. I can sense it in my soul. I feel it when I walk through the halls. I can almost hear the echoes of children's footsteps and playing. Laughter and tears, as I'm sure there have been plenty of both here over the years. Maybe others wouldn't because they're not connected, but I hope that you do, too. I want our children to have that. I've enjoyed coming here after work and having nothing to disturb us. We can sit out on that patio and there are no lights, no cars, no sounds. Nothing but nature. And you."

"It is nice," he said, sounding as if he didn't like admitting that right now. He likely didn't.

"They're not doing this because they think you can't provide for me and any children we may have. They're not doing it because they feel sorry for you or anything else. I think they just simply know we'd love it as they have, and that's important to them. I can understand that. The only thing that makes me sad is that we won't have an us to leave it to, but who knows by then if it will really matter. If you really don't want to, then we won't. We'll leave here in August, I'll go to my parents and get what's left of my things, and bring it to your house. Or Hogwarts."

"I get the impression this was always more her home than his," he murmured.

"What do you mean?"

"She came here every day, even if she spent the night with him at Hogwarts. She was the reason floo access was maintained for years after it likely would have been cut off for anyone else. He came here on the occasional weekend and summers, but I get the impression they were busy summers doing things."

"Yes, I agree."

"Let me think more on it. I do not … like taking things from people."

"I understand that, Severus. I absolutely do. I don't want to make you uncomfortable, which is why I am saying we can call your house home and be done with it."

"The bathroom is nice."

"And that closet!"

He chuckled.

"Are you already planning on how you can fill it?"

"Oh, yes, you know me, the most materialistic person there is."

"You do not shun nice things."

"I don't, you're right. I don't endeavour to collect them just to have them in my possession, though. Yes, I like nicer robes, they fit and feel better. I work in them all day, so I don't want to wear things that I loathe or that I think people are judging me for. I do not collect shoes or expect a different diamond necklace for every day of the week."



Tucson, Arizona

"You came here as a girl?" he asked as they browsed the art gallery.

"Yes, I'd honestly forgotten until I visited Hermione and saw the artist's paintings on the wall."

"I see," he said.

"So," she said, as she flipped through some prints they had for sale. She hadn't seen any of the needlepoints she had done as a child. That was not surprising, but a little disappointing.

"I don't know," he said simply. Answering her unspoken question.

"A sure sign we've been together too long," she said with a wink.

"You're easy to read at times."

"Mm," she said.

The magical community here was nice. This was their first venture into the No-Maj part of Tucson. Thomas had helped them find a suitable place to stay for their three weeks here. The Minister for Magic of Britain had some clout it seemed and the American MACUSA equivalent was happy to oblige. (And likely would think he would be owed a return favour at some point in time.)

"If it were up to her, I think that the answer would be yes."

"I think so, too," she agreed.

"I think he, like me, will find it difficult to accept such a gift."

"Agreed." She knew that. There were some things about this man that were very much the same. Pride was one of them.

"It will depend on how truly enamoured with her he is."

"Oh?"

"If he, like me, will move heaven and earth to please her, then they will accept."

"So, if I wanted to end up here?"

"If I have not come right out and said so, I will now. I go where you go, Marie."

She smiled, brushing a kiss against his lips. "You know, one of the things I thought of," she said, coming back to print copies of the two paintings her parents had in their home. "We could not be Erik and Marie here."

"I'm not sure I would know what that would be like anymore."

"I'm not either, truthfully. There was a time I longed to hear my true name other than said as a paranoid whisper by you."

"Same."

"Do they know how much we've left them?"

"No, we agreed not to divulge the entirety of what we've done for them until they decided one way or another on the house. I did not go against that."

"Mm," she said.

He chuckled. "You assumed I would?"

"He will be difficult about it, so yes, I thought that you might to … prepare him."

"Valid, but no."

"I don't think either will be pleased yet not overly surprised."

"Agreed."

"Then I didn't see them marrying the way they did either."

He chuckled. "You seduced me in my lab, Marie Rose. Wearing my shirt, mind you. You're truly surprised she took the initiative?"

"Well, yes," she said. They'd gotten Thomas' patronus about the marriage, but Hermione had also sent them an owl. So they had more details than what Thomas was aware of. "I mean, there's settling his fears, and there's marrying him."

"You don't want them married? You instigated him getting to know her during her first year. Please don't tell me you're having doubts now!"

"I do want them married nor am I having doubts, you know that." She sighed heavily, running a finger along the outline of one of the Native American girls in the picture she was holding. "Never mind," she murmured. It was ridiculous really.

Silence and she knew that he was … thinking. Taking her in. Analyzing her and the situation. What she wasn't saying.

"Ah, you wanted to see it," he said.

Pain and understanding crossed her husband's face and she shook her head, as he slid his hand to her cheek. They truly did know one another so well. It was unsettling, yet incredibly humbling, that he let her get to know him so well. She had little choice in the matter, wearing her feelings on her sleeve for the most part.

"I am very sorry that you were deprived of that, twice now. Truly. I didn't even think…"

"It's okay," she whispered. She was so glad that he understood without her having to explain. She was not upset that they got married. She had assumed she'd be there when it happened.

"Clearly it's not. I had assumed Charlotte's wedding was sufficient. I mean, I realize that she wasn't you."

"It was." It truly was. Her only daughter, so the only wedding they were primarily responsible for financially. She'd gone all out. It was the mid-fifties, so there'd been plenty to go all out with.

"And yet…"

"Oh, Severus, it's ridiculous. I know it is," she said, knowing there were tears in her eyes.

There was nothing she could do to stop them either. She hadn't said a word about it since getting Thomas' patronus. She hadn't even realized she'd feel anything or was … wanting something. It was ridiculously stupid. Petty. They'd had a good life. She had no regrets about anything.

And yet, a part of her she hadn't even known existed until word of Hermione and Severus eloping got to them. She wasn't mad or hurt. She just…

"I wanted to see her. I wanted to see what kind of dress I wore. What kind of flowers I had. Who my bridesmaids were and what they wore. What colour my garter would be. I wanted to give me my something old. I wanted to see Mum in a mother of the bride dress. I wanted to see Dad give me away. Ridiculous, isn't it?"

He closed the distance between them then, sliding one arm around her and the other still at her face he used to wipe the few tears that escaped away. "No, it's not. You're the least likely person to be prone to fits of whimsy. So if it's something you desired, I am truly sorry that I have deprived you of it twice. I love you."

"I love you, nothing changes that. I just," she shrugged. "It's dumb."

"It's not dumb. You are not dumb, Hermione Jean Snape. Nothing about what you just said is dumb. Let's buy your pictures and go back home. I know just what the professor ordered to help you."

"Oh?" sounding hopeful.

He snorted softly. "I was thinking a bath, but that could probably be arranged, too."

"Thank you for not making fun of me."

"What's to make fun of? I never had such dreams, so it never occurred to me. I don't imagine he did either. The fact is, though, they are married."

"I know."

"Tell me about the pictures," he said, pointing at the two she'd chosen.

"Mum and Dad have copies of the paintings in our sitting room."

"You are missing them?" he asked, sounding cautious.

"I am. I don't know why."

"I would imagine it's because she's at the point where she's going to be leaving them, she gets to say goodbye, and you did not."

"Maybe."

"Why don't you meet them?"

"I'm too scared to. I'm afraid I'll cry or look like an idiot."

"You could never look like an idiot, Marie Rose," he whispered.

"Says you."

"Yes, says me. Think about it. I've gotten to know my mother in a way I never imagined I would. Let's go get our bath, and the rest."

"Okay," she said, reaching up to kiss him. "I love you. Even if I never have been Hermione Jean Snape a day in my life."

"I'm aware," he whispered. "It was one of the reasons I said it. I wanted to remind you who you are. Where you come from. How we got here. Your tears, while damaging to my pride, are not stupid."

He bowed his head slightly, brushing his cheek against hers.

"I love you," she whispered.

***

"Oh, hello," Hermione said to her visitor. She heard the footsteps, assumed it was Harry. The only other person who visited her really was Erik, but he was wherever he and Marie were off to.

He offered her his hand, which she took, knowing she looked confused.

"We've already met," she said. Maybe he didn't remember?

"I've met Hermione Granger. I haven't met Hermione Snape, my best friend's wife, that he never formally told me he was even courting."

She gave a soft laugh. "Fair enough. It's nice to meet you then."

"Lily and James tell me that you don't always take lunch in the cafeteria, so I took a chance and brought it to you."

She glanced at her watch, realizing it was about lunch time. She hadn't realized it was so late.

He set a small bag on the counter, tapping it and her stomach growled almost instantly at the smell of the delicious sandwich and chips she smelled from one of her favourite muggle places that was nearby.

"Does Severus know you're here?"

"No," he said.

"Mm," she said with a slight smile. She shook her head, laughing. She gestured to her office and he took the bag, joining her.

"So," she said. "This isn't weird or anything."

"Well, I find it weirder that he successfully hid you…"

"We weren't hiding!"

"You're not pregnant?"

"Morgana, no!"

He nodded then, watching her as she sorted out her sandwich.

"Our age does not bother you?"

She scowled a bit. A bit to the point. She imagined he was just coming out and asking what others thought. She regarded him as she bit into a chip. She closed her eyes, savouring the taste. She brought her lunch more often than not, so this was a nice change of pace.

"No," she said, finally. She sat up straighter then, tapping her fingers on her side of the desk. "Listen. I'll save you the third degree. I'm not pregnant. I'm not going to hurt him. I didn't marry him for his money or his position or anything else. I fell in love with him. You're his best friend. Why do you find that hard to believe?"

"I don't," he said, sliding a hand to the back of his neck and she thought she saw a blush there. She had to be mistaken, though. And yet. Well, what did he have to blush about?

"There is a witch, a little older than you. She has hinted…"

"Ah," she said with a slight nod.

"Severus does not have my … affliction."

"No, but everything Severus has told me about you says that you are an intelligent and kind man. I'm sure she sees that."

"You don't think it would be … cruel to pursue someone, knowing we shouldn't have children?"

She shifted a little in her chair. Well, how difficult was that for this wizard to say? Did Severus know the witch in question? Did he know his best friend was worried about children?

"I think you should ask her out on a date and see how things go before you worry about having children with her. When the time comes, I'm sure she will listen to reason."

"Would you?"

She bit her lower lip, casting her eyes down a bit. "Remus. Really. Are you attracted to the witch?"

"I think that I am."

She slid a chip to her mouth. "Why don't you see if she wants to join us for a movie? A double date, if you will, one evening?"

"Oh, I couldn't…"

"Why not? If you don't get along. Well, then you know."

"That wouldn't be weird?"

"Mm, no. I mean, if you've never spoken to her before maybe."

"No, we do. She seems to be the auror I work with a lot for pack business."

"Oh," she said. "So you know up front she's aware of your condition, and she's still hinting she is attracted to you?"

"Yes."

"I'm no expert at this, Remus, but I'm sure I could talk Severus into a movie."

He gave a soft chortle. "I think you likely have the power to talk him into just about anything."

"Mm. I couldn't get him to kiss me while I was still at Hogwarts."

He tilted his head back and laughed. "Let me guess, Catwoman?"

She blushed profusely and he laughed harder. "Well, yes."

"I had no idea. He probably hated me, and every other wizard in that hall that night."

"Maybe," she murmured.

"The fact that he wouldn't doesn't surprise me."

"It doesn't surprise me either," she admitted.

He laughed again, as if realizing that meant she still tried . She wasn't sure she should be embarrassed or not. She didn't really think he'd kiss her, but he did enjoy the idea that he was tempted. He admitted he had been.

"He's not the easiest person to get to know," he said.

"He's not. I don't guess you are either," she said.

There was that blush again, and she found it rather adorable. The fact that this man turned into a werewolf and she was thinking he was adorable was a little strange, but it was what it was.

"I think the fact you let the witch get close enough to you for you to know that she's interested says something. You're friends with Severus for a reason. I get that you're rather private. No one has to know."

"I will think about it."

"Well, you'd better think fast, because once Hogwarts starts again, Severus won't be available until Christmas for a movie."

"Are you going to stay at Hogwarts with him?"

"Probably," she admitted. "We haven't figured that out yet."

He nodded.

Eventually, he stood to leave after they'd both finished their lunch. It was … odd and a bit uncomfortable, but it wasn't awful. At least he didn't seem to think that she was a gold digging harpy who married his best friend for his money and planned on offing him. (Not that she'd be able to off Severus Snape!)

He offered her his hand again, which she took as she had when this lunch began.

"It was nice to talk with you, Hermione."

"You, too, Remus." He bowed over her hand, kissing the back of it politely and she blushed at that. "Thank you for lunch."

"Thank you for indulging me."

"You wanted to meet me away from him?"

"I did."

"Well, I'm glad I passed your test."

"Lily says you already have people talking about modernizing the wizarding world a bit when it comes to their record keeping. Lily is muggleborn, too."

"I know," Hermione said.

"I suppose you would. I'm sorry. I just," he shrugged. "Anyway. I think the wizarding world can do with a bit of modernization."

"Can I tell Severus I met you?"

"I assumed you would, yes."

She bowed her head politely then, glad she wasn't being asked to keep this meeting a secret. That would bother her. Starting off their marriage keeping secrets didn't seem like a good thing.

(Her mother's biggest piece of advice was that communication was key. No matter how small a matter seemed.)

She watched the wizard leave, wondering who the auror was he was talking about. Would Severus know if she mentioned it? Maybe Hermione could extend herself to the witch and work the movie invitation in that way if Remus didn't follow through. Not that she was very good at making friends, but maybe Harry could help her bridge that gap.

Return to Top

Part 47 | Part 49

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com