***Chapter Ten***
Late August 1927

Severus sat on a blanket with Hermione and little Thomas near the lake of Hogwarts' grounds. They'd staked a claim on a nice spot where Thomas could move around without fear he'd scoot himself into the lake. Not that he was that fast yet at this scooting he'd just started the past week or so, or that either parent took their eyes off of him, particularly this close to the lake.

If memory served him correctly, this was the precise spot of his favorite place to sit when he was a student. The tree he'd leaned against countless times through his years as a student was but a baby now.

They weren't the only staff members with the idea to relax today. To take a day and enjoy the nice weather and the quiet and calmness that would end very soon. He was both less nervous than last year and more.

Less because he'd finished a school year without anyone loathing him, or his class. That had never happened before. There were some who were clearly not proficient in the subject, but he tried to assist them. And they were appreciative. They more or less just didn't want to fail his class, but they were appreciative nonetheless. So, he knew that he could teach and not be cruel and hated.

More because his wife would be nearby all of the time now and would be in a position to hear what students said about him . Would she tell him? If someone said something disparaging about him, would she think less of him? These were things he never had reason to care about previously.

The students would arrive Thursday, professors and staff would be busy the next few days ensuring everything was ready. His wife was staff now herself, working in the library. The former librarian left suddenly because she had to care for an ailing parent. Hermione had been hired on in somewhat of a contingency basis. Basically, the job was hers as long as she proved she wasn't in over her head. They'd even come up with the idea of a small area off of her administrative area where Thomas could be. The headmaster had gone for it only because there hadn't been too many other options on basically three weeks' notice. And the staff attested to the fact that his wife likely knew the library better than Gretta Jamison had.

They had toured her small office, and Thomas' playroom, this morning. It was essentially an open double room that she'd be able to put a barrier up to keep him from getting out and getting into mischief. It wasn't soundproof so she'd hear him if he needed her. Everyone, staff and students alike, already knew and had grown rather fond of the baby, so no one seemed to mind. Even better, the room was large enough that if she decided to homeschool Thomas instead of sending him to muggle primary school, he would be able to have his desk and supplies in that same room.

Four years into the future that obstacle was, and yet he was counting on the fact that his wife would retain the job if she wanted it. He had assured her once again when they discussed whether she should take it so soon, Thomas wasn't even one yet, that she did not have to work. He was fine with her decision either way. They agreed she'd try it, both believing their home and what she was doing there was far more important. He understood, though, that livestock and crops didn't fulfill her intellectual needs.

He and Hermione had liked that idea of that separate room, being able to keep school separate from home. They hadn't really talked about his schooling yet, but Severus was pretty sure she'd end up teaching him herself. She was certainly capable, and it would also instill in Thomas that women could be just as intelligent as men. He wasn't sure he'd trust anyone else to treat and teach him appropriately. Most would treat him as if he didn't know better. From the sounds of it, Albus seemed to think Thomas Riddle knew better at a very young age.

Homeschooling in their quarters, or at their home, it would be too easy for both of them to fall into teacher mode all of the time and never turn it off. He knew Tom Riddle was smart, of course, but even smart children needed downtime; time to play and just be a child.

Things Thomas, and Severus himself if he was being honest, originally lacked in his young life. They hoped that would help make a difference. They hoped so much would make a difference. Unfortunately, they wouldn't know for years yet if these changes worked.

"I wish we were back home," he whispered, running a finger along her nose and cheek as she rested her head against his leg. Thomas was quite the expert at sitting up now, but Hermione still had an arm out nearby to catch him if he fell. It was instinctual to her, Severus noticed. She had truly taken to being a mum and run with it.

He wasn't sure why he was surprised, but knowing who the child was. Knowing what that child seventy years from now had tried to do to her best friend and what that child thought of her in that time.

Well, some would be tempted to do the bare minimum. Of course, the bare minimum would likely end up with nothing, or little, being changed. That would defeat the purpose of them being here to begin with. She wouldn't have hauled her arse to 1926 just to do the bare minimum. They were here in the hope of turning a powerful wizard who'd used his abilities to do evil into a productive member of wizarding society.

No question about it, that was their goal. It wasn't just to stop him from turning evil. It was to ensure that power was for the side of Light, the Order. And that he, hopefully, in twenty or so years produced more powerful wizards and so on.

They'd been busy at their house this summer.

Well, he'd been busy at their house this summer.

She'd been busy at their house year-round since they arrived here so it was nothing new for her.

They had not spent much time there together during the school year. Now that Thomas was born and Hermione "recovered", his excuses requiring him to go home weekends were null and void. The few times he had been there in the winter he hadn't walked around the grounds much to see what all she'd done.

Granted, she had the help of a handful of elves willing to do field work, but she had turned their defunct-looking property into one that maybe wouldn't be described by others as thriving exactly, but certainly one that was on its way to being able to sustain them. That had been her goal, and he knew she still had plans she wanted to implement.

Fruit trees and bushes had been tended to so they'd grow well. Vegetables had been planted in addition to the garden off the conservatory being a rather impressive flower garden. They'd sat on the small patio they'd made shortly after they first arrived more than one summer evening, saying little, just enjoying a glass of wine, and looking at what was theirs. What they had made theirs. She had an assortment of livestock, including a bull which would help produce calves for them to sell. And butcher. Goats. Sheep. Pigs. Horses. Chickens. They had it all. She had it all. He'd done nothing but give her money, and go with her to purchase something when they wouldn't allow his wife to do it without him.

"Why's that?" she asked.

Just like last school year, she'd spend her nights here, but go to the house once she'd gotten up for the day to see to her household chores. Their request to keep the floo connected was granted for that reason, and had been a condition of her employment. That employment would be the difference this school year. She'd do those chores before coming here to work at the library. The only stipulation was that her hours here be consistent, which he knew she'd have no problem with.

Weekends she was generally up before him because she had animals that required attention even on Saturdays and Sundays. That was her choice, not wanting to get in the habit of depending on the elves they had. It had taken them a while to adjust to the fact that their mistress was indeed going to work beside them. It was not because she didn't think they were capable of doing a satisfying job, but because she wanted to do the work, too.

He was pretty sure their handful of elves would lay down their lives for Hermione without her having to ask. They adored their mistress even if her ways were mysterious and still a bit unsettling to them. No punishments, no beatings, and she was just as likely to apologize to them as she was to expect them to do so to her.

They were not nearly as fond of Severus, but that was because they didn't know him very well. He showed up essentially months after they'd gotten used to it being Hermione and Thomas so it was an adjustment.

They were fortunate the headmaster approved of the arrangement, but when Severus told him what all his wife had done in her "spare" time from young Thomas. Well, the headmaster hadn't forced the issue of his floo remaining connected to his home. He wasn't having parties in his quarters or unauthorized guests. His wife just wanted to get home to care for their home.

"Mm, watching you swim naked in our pond would be a lovely way to pass today."

"Mm, I quite agree. We could go home for a while…"

"As much as I would like to do exactly that, I cannot."

"I know," she said, tilting her head back a bit on his leg so she could smile at him.

He found himself captivated by that smile, and the twinkle in her eyes that told him while she did know that he couldn't, she would go home with him if he wished to. They'd spent quite a few hours in the main pond off the house on the property. It was a great way to cool down after working under the hot sun.

Or at least that was the excuse they'd used the first time or two. After those first couple of times, they no longer needed an excuse.

They'd discovered five ponds on their property of various sizes and worked at stocking them. Three were stocked with minnows and goldfish and such. Two were stocked with fish that could actually be caught and eaten. Neither had done so yet, but Severus knew he should try sooner rather than later, so he'd know what to do if and when the time came it was essential.

It was, Severus had to admit, enjoyable to get his hands dirty in such a fashion. Yes, he'd planted and harvested potions ingredients. This, though, was different. This was anticipating in the near future needing these items to sustain his family and plotting and planning, with his wife, so that they would be okay. And it was … satisfying.

His eyes drifted from her to the activity around them. Some staff members were, like them, just enjoying the day outside. Some were playing games, others had brought work with them. He saw more than one, though, eyeing the three of them with … if he wasn't mistaken envy.

It was a look he had never seen directed at him before, so it took him a while to identify what it was. He liked it!

"Would you like to go to Hogsmead?"

"Really?" she asked.

He shook his head slightly. They did things over the summer, an overnight here or there with Thomas, but with a still as of yet quite young baby it was difficult to just pick up and go places. They'd known that was the case, but things like dinners out or spontaneous excursions just didn't happen as often as he probably should have ensured they did.

She deserved them.

"Lunch at the Three Broomsticks?"

"At least I don't have to worry about Rosmerta flirting with you."

She sounded as if she was teasing, but there was a lilt to her voice that suggested the statement wasn't entirely in jest. He hadn't even looked at another woman since she'd agreed to this. (Not that he had much prior to her agreeing to this.) She'd requested fidelity, which wasn't a hardship for him to commit to. He wouldn't have married someone to cheat. He wasn't built that way. So, to hear her … voice a potential concern about another witch was surprising.

"This would really worry you?"

"Well, sure, she wasn't overly subtle about it either and was built to garner attention. I mean, not to someone like Harry or Ron, obviously. I saw it, though, when Remus would go in there or Sirius," she shrugged. "There's flattery, an appreciative glance at someone's partner, and there's homewrecker behavior."

"I assure you she could not wreck our home, even if she was here. And I can also say with confidence that she has nothing on you when it comes to the way she is built."

She smiled at him, drawing herself off of his leg, and he found he missed her being there immediately. It wasn't just the warmth of her against him either. It was something … other that he had put a name on almost nine months ago now, but he had not vocalized it yet. He liked that she wanted to be close to him. That it wasn't just Thomas she was touchy with. She leaned on her elbows then, glancing at him over her shoulder as she checked the hat Thomas was wearing to ensure it was still secure. She always did things like that.

Caring. Loving. Motherly. Wifely.

Because these things she did weren't just for young Thomas either.

Even for and with him she did them. Ensured his robes were straight. His cravat properly in place. He'd missed a spot shaving a time or two and she quickly fixed it for him.

"I'd sit in your lap and kiss you, but I fear 1927 Hogwarts isn't ready for that kind of public display of affection, so instead I'll simply say that was an excellent response."

"It's the truth. I didn't realize there was legitimately a concern on your part."

She was truly worried he'd stray? From her? Was she daft?

"When do I have the time? Never mind the time, the opportunity?"

She knelt then and kissed him.

"And you'd appreciate my being ogled even if you know I'm faithful?"

Oh, she had no idea that he had to deal with precisely that, every day. Even thinking she was almost twenty instead of the eighteen she truly was, more than one of the sixth and seventh year wizards had eyed her with interest toward the end of last school year. They knew, of course, she was his wife and a new mother. And this was the twenties not the nineties, so no one did anything disrespectful, but he saw the looks in their eyes just the same.

Watching.

Admiring.

She was smart, more than capable in all subjects taught at Hogwarts (except Divination), attractive, and personable (even if she thought that she was not). She was enticing. He could easily see himself at their age finding her intriguing.

She had, in fact, the last few months of the previous school year instituted group tutoring sessions. An hour each evening Monday through Thursday anyone could come to his classroom for assistance. At first only a very few took advantage of the offering, but by the end of May there were evenings she had to turn students away because there were no available seats in the room. It could only be magically enhanced so much. And the hour was seldom only an hour. She cut it off at two, but if someone was truly struggling, she'd stay even longer to assist that student with whatever their assignment or project was.

The fact that she would tutor them with a newborn strapped to her most of the time (some evenings he'd take Thomas off of her hands, but she seemed to like the closeness) didn't seem to lessen that look he saw in the young wizards' eyes.

To her point, though, she was right. None looked at her as if they wanted to bed her, or were picturing her in various states of undress. He'd hex anyone he caught doing that! And because none (not even Albus) knew his abilities, they wouldn't know what hit them either.

"You are correct," he said finally.

"Thank you."

She stood then, stooping to pick up Thomas and then he stood. They collected the blanket and then he took her hand, lacing his fingers through hers as they walked toward the gates that would take them to Hogsmeade and lunch at the Three Broomsticks.

He really needed to endeavour to try harder to entertain her more than he did. She worked so hard with very little free time, it was easy to forget she was only eighteen and deserved some downtime, too. Downtime that was fun. He did, too, for that matter.

This wasn't the first time this thought had occurred to him, but she was not overly demanding or pushy, so it was easy sometimes not to realize that weeks or months had gone by since they'd set foot off of grounds that didn't belong to Hogwarts or their home.

It was a different world than what they were accustomed to until the past year and a half, of course. There weren't bars, restaurants, and movie theaters on every corner. Yes, they could apparate to London at any time and partake in any of its offerings, but there was Thomas to consider. People bringing infants with them wasn't commonplace in this time.

The walk to Hogsmeade was leisurely, neither in a particular hurry since there were no students to wrangle or schedules to keep to. He took Thomas off her hands very early into the walk. The sling was helpful, but he knew Thomas got heavy even in it.

He saw it here, too, while they sat at the Three Broomsticks. They ate slowly and talked long while they had a couple of butterbeers. People looked at them and he saw envy in their eyes.

"People are watching us," he whispered, wondering if she noticed.

"You notice it, too?" he asked when he saw her blush for no reason and said nothing in response.

"What?" she asked.

"The looks."

"Sometimes."

He leaned in then. "What does it mean?"

She tilted her head at him then, clearly surprised he asked the question. He wasn't prone to admitting he didn't know things. She was likely the only one he would ever outright do so with. He had no idea if she knew that.

"Well, for one we're still relatively new, unknown, so they're curious about us. Second, they see that we get along. You are respectful to and of me, even if only the staff heard you say I could tutor students they might have told their spouses or friends. You are not afraid to touch me, not indecently but gently nonetheless. They presume, I would think, that we are a love match rather than an arrangement. I would imagine in this time there was still a lot of that. Arranged marriages. I mean, if Draco was expected…"

"Yes."

"At school, they see that you like my company and I yours. We talk, and you are not shy about asking for my input as if you believe I, a woman and your wife, have something to contribute to the conversation. You are kind to our son and are not afraid to take him from me sometimes. These are things I would imagine people, even in our world, would be envious of and curious about."

He sat back then, bringing the drink to his lips as he allowed himself to take in the room again armed with this information. He met the gaze of a few that he'd seen looking at them. Is that what they saw? A true marriage? Something others were envious of? He certainly wanted that to be the case.

It was still new, but he didn't see himself becoming his father. He certainly didn't see her becoming like his mother. He'd always been so envious of people like Lucius for finding "it". He slid his gaze to her then, knowing when it was he'd realized that he had obtained "it". When this had changed from an arrangement into a marriage. For it was truly a marriage now, and he endeavoured to keep it that way for the rest of their lives.

The physical aspect aside. There was more to marriage than sex. Even he knew that.

There were countless other little things, though.

Like when he would talk to her about trouble students, or students he saw promise in. She listened, she provided feedback, and she offered tips or ideas that he wouldn't think of without her. Not that he was stupid or incapable, but she was naturally a more caring, positive person than he was. So she had a very different perspective to offer on things. That aided him in decision making. It was also new to him, to want to help students be better if he could. She helped make him a better, more personable and less scary professor.

Her tutoring sessions alone made his classroom seem less ominous. The students knew it was like any other classroom in the castle, it just happened to be housed in the dungeons.

Or when he wanted to get away from the staff room after a meeting had finished so he could tell her the ridiculous goings on by the current Charms professor, Batilda Clayburne, and Albus. He had gotten to where working alone in his lab felt lonely versus claustrophobic when someone else shared his space with him.

He had long ago started looking at her and Thomas and realized that he had what most people dreamt of. (Potential for psychotic egomaniac in the future aside, of course.)

"I don't deserve you," he murmured.

Her eyes shot up to meet his. She'd been focused on Thomas, so hadn't seen him looking at her. He doubted she even realized he'd been deep in thought.

"Well, that kind of thinking won't put that look in their eyes," she said, an amused smirk on her lips.

"It's the truth. You were forced into this…"

She settled her hand over his, and he wondered when that had become something he craved. Her touch. Her acceptance. Her love. How he wanted that.

"Oh stop. I wasn't forced into anything. I was presented with an offer. I made a decision, the same as you did. We could have both said no. I'm here, and while it's different and I'm doing things I never imagined doing in my life," she shrugged.

He knew that was true. She never would have thought of herself as being in charge of a family farm.

"I'm here, and I plan to make the most of it. With you, and with Thomas."

She leaned in, clutching his hand before bringing it to her mouth to kiss the back of it. She set them back against the table then. "I know where the item that brought us here is, Erik. There is nothing stopping me from taking Thomas and going somewhere else entirely. Nothing except you. You and Thomas are my life. I hope one day he'll have a sibling, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

He stared at her, dark eyes assessing lighter brown ones. She was sincere. She did not get twitchy, or shift her gaze away from his intense one.

"I can still think I don't deserve you."

"Well, that may be. I can't stop you from thinking what you think. However, you could," her lips quivered into that cheeky grin she gave him on occasion. He was the only recipient of it, he knew. "Endeavour to deserve me every day for the rest of our lives."

He squeezed her hand. "It is a solid plan, and one I am trying to figure out how to put into action. It is foreign to me on a variety of levels."

"Just love us, Severus. That's all you need to do to deserve this," she said, gesturing to her and to Thomas.

"You have made it impossible for me to do anything but," he said.

It was the closest either of them had gotten to speaking their feelings. What this was, what this had become. He could acknowledge it was unlike anything he ever imagined it would be. He imagined a wife as a shrew of a woman who stopped him from doing anything worthwhile or enjoyable. Instead, she engaged in those things with him.

Potions experiments? She was in.

That experimentation even extended to their garden. They wanted to see for next year if they could produce a lighter red, not pink, rose so they'd (hopefully) perfected cross pollinating with a few trial bushes. They'd see next spring how well it worked.

"Then stop saying that nonsense. We're yours, so you obviously do deserve us. Did it happen in the conventional way, no, but it happened nonetheless."

He huffed but nodded slightly. He wasn't so sure it was that simple, but there was no sense arguing because there was nothing saying she was wrong.

"Would you like to walk?"

"I'd love to," she said.

He took Thomas from her, sliding his hand over the boy's dark hair. He realized seeing Tom at this age, and recalling various pictures of him through the years, why he'd been the one Albus thought of first as to this plan. If they went the route they did, claiming him as theirs, they'd need someone who could remotely pass for his true parent. With his coloring, he realized it was plausible. Obviously, Severus wasn't the only one who met the requirements, but he was the only one with no attachments and essentially nothing to lose. That and the brain capacity to keep up with a brilliant wizard.



"That was nice," she said once they were back in their rooms.

They'd walked, browsed a few shops, looked at various window displays, and bought a few sweets for later because they both enjoyed a sweet now and again.

"That an impromptu afternoon in Hogsmeade brings that reaction out of you tells me that I should do better."

"Oh, Erik, that's not what I meant! It was just nice to spend one of your last free days with, well, you. I like sitting on the grounds, you know that."

"I do."

"I'm going to put him down. He should sleep like the dead for a while after all that fresh air."

"Good."

"Would you like to spend a bit of one of your last free days doing some baser things with your wife while he sleeps?"

"You do not need to ask me twice."

"I'll put him to bed then."

"I will be waiting for you in our bed."

"My favourite place for you to be waiting for me."

"Mine, too," he said, bowing his head slightly as he moved to do exactly that.

Return to Top

Part 9 | Part 11

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com