***Chapter Two***

"What do you mean Hermione's gone?" Ron asked when they gathered in their common room the morning after Harry told Hermione the headmaster asked to see her.

"She's not there and obviously hadn't slept there," Lavender said, not sounding at all disappointed in this turn of events. "Professor McGonagall collected her things and said that she wouldn't be back."

"I'm going to find out what's going on," Harry said. That wasn't like Hermione. At all. Was that what the headmaster wanted with her? To send her away? Why wouldn't he let Harry say goodbye? When would she be back?

He made his way to Professor McGonagall's office, knocking on the door lightly. He wished he could go right to the headmaster, but that wasn't possible. If this was his fault. If something had happened because of him. Well… he wasn't sure he could forgive himself. His thoughts had always gone to the Weasleys, something happening to them because of Ron's involvement with Harry. They at least knew what they were up against with Voldemort and had a chance of protecting themselves.

"Mr. Potter," their head of house said when she opened the door. "Why aren't you getting ready to leave?"

"Where's Hermione?"

Her eyes widened a bit, her lips tightened as she peered at him over the tops of her glasses. "The headmaster hasn't gotten word to you?"

Harry swallowed hard at that. So something had happened. "No," Harry said.

She sighed heavily and ushered him further into her office, closing the door behind him.

"I'm afraid there was what the headmaster, Professor Snape, and I considered to be a credible threat from a reliable source against the Grangers."

"What kind of threat?"

"Not one I'm privy to discuss with you, Mr. Potter. Hermione was escorted home last night. They will have a day or two to get their affairs in order and then we will get them to safety."

"But if they're in danger…"

"Mr. Potter. I assure you that we know what we're doing."

"Assuming Snape isn't giving you misinformation to get Hermione exactly where the death eaters and He Who Must Not Be Named want her. Away from the castle she's most protected in!"

"Mr. Potter. Are you questioning not just the headmaster but my decision making as well?"

He bowed his head. It did sound as if he was doing just that, didn't it? His shoulders slumped a bit. He trusted the headmaster and his head of house. So did Hermione for that matter.

"No," he said.

"I assure you they are not unguarded while they prepare to leave. Albus was supposed to get word to you, but he might still be occupied with the situation. I will let you know as soon as I am aware they have been taken away to safety."

"Thank you. She didn't like, say goodbye or anything?"

"I'm sure she'll have something for you. It was all very sudden and we had to act quickly. Give her a moment to ensure her parents are truly safe."

"Thanks," he said. He shoved his hands in his pockets. He had no idea what to say. Her parents were in danger. Because of him. Because she was his friend.

"Now, go get ready, Mr. Potter."

"Can I tell Ron?"

"You may tell Mr. Weasley as she was going with you to his home. He will of course notice she's missing. No one else. Do you understand me? We can't take the chance that anyone will leak information to someone they shouldn't."

"I do."

Neville could be trusted, but there was no sense telling him anything that he didn't know the details of anyway.

"The headmaster will speak to Arthur and Molly, I'm sure."

"Thank you," Harry said. That was his next thought. Were they going to be told anything? They'd be expecting her. Ginny would be, too.

"Try to have a good holiday, Mr. Potter. She is protected and in good hands. I assure you."

He huffed softly, but nodded before scratching the scar on his forehead. It wasn't bothering him, but it was instinctive when something didn't seem right these days to seek it out.

"I will." He turned then and returned to their common room.

Harry shrugged. "I don't know much," he said. He checked to ensure they were alone with no one listening. "She went home early."

"Home?" Ron asked.

"Yes, home."

Ron glanced around the common room and nodded a bit, as if he understood Harry couldn't tell him more than he had. At least not here.

"Right. Well, we'll see her Sunday I'm sure for dinner."

It didn't sound like that was true, but Harry simply shrugged. He'd get Ron alone when they got to his house and fill him in on what McGonagall had told him. Not that it was much.

What kind of threat? Sometimes he hated being The Boy Who Lived. Whatever the threat was, it was his fault. She was his friend and in danger because of that. He put her, and her parents, in danger. He'd have to live with that if something happened to her.

And he was supposed to just sit here and keep quiet!

He hated this!

Could he get away from the Weasleys and call her house? He wasn't sure Mrs. Weasley would let him out of her sight long enough to do that. He couldn't really ask Ron to run interference for him, because he'd want to come with. Ginny. Well, she'd probably get mad. She didn't seem jealous of Hermione, but there were times he felt the younger witch thought there was more to his relationship with Hermione than friendship. Not true. Beyond, he supposed, family like he never had with the Dursleys.

He huffed realizing, unless an opportunity appeared out of nowhere, he wasn't going to get away to make a phone call. And, well, as much as he loved Hermione and wanted to be sure she was, in fact, okay. He couldn't put himself at risk for a phone call. The Burrow was safe. He knew that was why he was going there.

Return to Top

Part 1 | Part 3

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com