***Chapter Seven***

Severus stirred, knowing something was wrong. Okay, wrong might have been incorrect phrasing.

Different.

Again.

His arm was positioned more than comfortably, as if it belonged, over Hermione's hip and thigh. He knew who it was first and foremost because she was the only witch he'd ever woken up to, however abruptly. He knew, too, by the scent of her even without opening his eyes. He knew he should say something. Wake her up and send her back to her rooms. Or at the very least because he knew she didn't get enough sleep as it was get up and go to his couch.

Her breath hitched in her sleep and Severus could hear the gasp that he knew from his duties as Head of Slytherin house and having tended to more than one witch in the infirmary over the years that it had come as a result of crying.

Why had his witch been crying?

He hadn't seen her other than meals. He assumed she'd join him for brewing or grading but as the evening progressed she had not shown.

Briefly he'd wondered where she was.

And with whom.

She'd looked pretty at breakfast. He couldn't help but wonder which of the admiring fools that was for. They both were quite taken with her, that much was obvious.

It wasn't until later, when she hadn't shown as she had every night for weeks that he realized he was jealous.

She was his wife!

He'd thought back to that morning and the look she'd given him when he'd finally gotten out of bed. She'd looked not at all put off by what she saw.

Some spy he was not noticing a witch appearing in his bed.

Yet it happened again tonight and he hadn't noticed then either.

He sighed, allowing sleep to claim him once more until morning.

He woke a second time to his hand no longer on her hip but instead her abdomen and she was pressed firmly against him. Her glorious hair close to his face was evidence of just how close they'd gotten.

He huffed softly, thinking that whatever was at work here might just be the cruelest thing done to him yet. To wake up to this witch. A witch he knew he didn't deserve (which was why he had not done more than think about asking to court her or to escort her to the Halloween dance). Taunting him as if to say if he'd walked a righteous path this could be his.

He knew the proverbial rug would be pulled out from under his feet soon enough. Minerva was going to consult with Kingsley tomorrow. This time Tuesday she could be a single witch again.

Why did that thought make his chest tighten?

His being a single wizard didn't have the same effect on him. He'd presumed for the past twenty years (longer if he was being honest with himself) that he would die alone never truly having known the love Albus spoke so highly of.

Those gasps again. They made his heart do and feel funny things.

"What is the matter, Hermione?" he whispered.

The gasps stopped. The sniffling did not. Had she been crying all night long and he'd somehow missed it?

"Now you want to know how I'm feeling," she murmured. It was more of a mumble and he wasn't entirely sure she'd meant for him to hear it.

"You have not refrained from telling me how you feel for months now."

She scoffed and started to move away from him. His hold on her tightened. He did not want to let her go.

"Hermione," he murmured.

"You didn't ask me to brew with you," she said.

"I didn't realize at this point you require a formal invitation."

"Well evidently you and Minerva are making decisions for me so I presumed my presence wasn't welcome."

He huffed again. What in the devil was the witch talking about?

"I'm not sure I understand. Did Minerva tell you not to brew with me?"

He'd have a chat with the headmistress if that were the case. In truth, he relished their evenings together. It didn't matter to him how they spent them. He'd done nothing to warrant keeping the witch away from him.

"Never mind," she whispered. "It's not important. I'll go back to my rooms now."

His hold on her increased again. He knew full well from listening to the married wizards he knew and had occasion to be privy to their inane personal trifles that anytime a witch said it was not important she most of the time meant the exact opposite.

"Hermione," he said.

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure Minerva and the Minister will figure it out and you won't have to concern yourself with me anymore."

"Now you're being sarcastic and it isn't becoming in the least."

"Let me up, Severus," she said.

"Not until you tell me what is bothering you."

"Why does it matter? You and Minerva have already decided what to do."

"About what?"

She laughed but it wasn't the good kind. She sounded bitter and sad. Very odd of a laugh to come from one usually neither of those things. It was one of the things that baffled, and intrigued him, most about the witch. Nothing ever seemed to get her down. He'd helped treat her for various things over the years and she never wavered in her desire to stand beside Harry Potter until the end. He'd seen her concerned, serious, studious, and all sorts of things. He'd never seen her look defeated. So bitterness was not something he ever thought to associate with this witch.

"Neither of you even asked me what I want, which I assume means you told her you don't want to be married to me. It does make me curious though, Severus Snape. If the idea of my being your wife is so abhorrent that you'd rather the stigma of a wizarding divorce. What exactly did you hope to get out of courting me? Sex? I thought of that but surely you can get that anywhere without the formality and strings of courtship. So I am for once unable to research a question I have. Now let me up."

They both knew very well she was powerful enough if she wanted up she would already be so.

"I'm not the one getting whistled at," he said. "You think I enjoyed seeing the woman who now bears my name dressing to impress someone much younger than myself?"

Evidently that was the wrong thing to say. How did he know that? Her magic started flowing more than just subtly and her hair, the hair he'd not so long ago admired for being glorious, was crackling as a result.

Just like that his arm was pulled from her rather violently.

And then he was alone in his bed. Moments later he heard her call the apprentices sitting room and knew now his rooms were devoid of anyone but him.

He stood then, not at all certain what had happened or what she was thinking.

Witches.

He readied himself for the day, a Sunday, which meant catching up on some work-related reading. He made his way to breakfast only to find she wasn't there. The empty seat between him and Apprentice Longbottom was taunting him.

"No Hermione this morning, Apprentice Longbottom," he asked after enough time had gone by for her to surely have joined the head table for breakfast.

"No, Sir," Neville said.

"Since when do you call any of the apprentices by their first name?" Einar asked from the other side of Neville. The Defense Against the Dark Arts professor had never claimed a different spot once students had arrived for some reason. Neither had the Transfiguration professor.

"And you care why, Professor Bergman?" Severus asked sardonically.

"No reason, other than you're calling her Hermione and Neville Apprentice Longbottom."

"As if it is any of your business how I address anyone. However, it so happens that I don't particularly like Apprentice Longbottom to where I'd care to be informal with him. Hermione has been assisting me with brewing since before the school year started. And said assistance is tolerable."

Einar scoffed. "All that work she does for you for free I might add and you find her tolerable. I'm sure she'd love to hear that."

Severus scowled. "Like myself, Hermione enjoys knowledge."

"Evidently not today," Longbottom said. "She told me she'll be back in time for classes tomorrow."

"She left?" he asked. That alarmed him. Why did she leave? Where did she go? Would she do something stupid in an emotional state? Had there been more he could have done earlier that morning?

"Yes. Said she hadn't been sleeping well the past couple of nights and was going home for the day."

Severus' lips thinned at that. He had no idea where home was for his witch. With Potter? The idea of the other wizard. Of Weasley (either of them). Of anyone knowing what had happened bothered him immensely.

Severus was quiet the rest of breakfast and made his way to the headmistress' office afterward.

"Just what exactly did you and Hermione discuss yesterday, Minerva?" This question was asked once the formalities of bidding one another good morning and asking how their evenings were had transpired.

"I'm not sure what you're asking me."

"She's gone home for the day unexpectedly."

"And you think that I had something to do with that?"

"Didn't you?"

"No. I told her that you and I had agreed to let Kingsley see what he could find out as to why or how this happened as well as what could be done to void the bond."

Severus glanced at Albus' portrait as Minerva spoke.

"Is this your doing, old man?"

"I'm dead, Severus."

"Somehow I'm not sure even death could stop you from meddling in my life."

"What happened, Severus?"

He shrugged and explained how she'd come to be in his bed again. How the sounds he knew to be of crying had prevented him from sending her back to her rooms. And their conversation this morning, ending in her more than hasty retreat after an impressive display of wandless and non-verbal magic.

Albus' eyes in his portrait were sparkling with amusement. Minerva's were, too, for that matter.

"Oh, Severus. You are right in that it obviously is important to her."

"Well, that's obvious or she wouldn't have fled the castle! I'm not sure how laughing at me is going to solve the problem."

He stood then, very aware Minerva and Albus were laughing even harder now at his expense as he headed toward the stairs that would take him out of her office.

"Should I have told him, Albus?"

"No, my dear, this is one thing he needs to figure out himself," came Albus' response.

He huffed as he took his leave. What could they possibly know that he didn't?

It was almost dinner time when he finally gave up all hope of accomplishing anything. He dressed to leave the castle and made his way to the gates so he could apparate.

He arrived on the step outside of Grimmauld Place, scowling in distaste at ever coming here again. He swore once the war was over he wouldn't.

He knew Hermione had bought a home, but he did not know the location of said home beyond the town. Not knowing what alias she'd chosen to buy said house under, going to the town to ask about her would prove fruitless.

He wasn't so certain a visit to Potter wouldn't be any less so.

"Professor Snape," Harry said, clearly surprised to see him standing on his doorstep.

"Mr. Potter. I'll save the both of us the more than uncomfortable pleasantries we would exchange and get right to the point. I was wondering if you'd seen Miss Gr…" he scowled, forgetting briefly about his inability to call her by her maiden name. "Hermione."

Harry's eyes widened a fraction at his use of her first name. Likely her best friend was aware of the time they were spending with one another so would not find it completely unusual.

"I, uh, no, Sir. She did send me a patronus letting me know I wouldn't need to go collect her mail this week."

Harry watched him for a moment. He could see the emotions clearly in his eyes as he went from confusion over why Severus was here looking for her and to concern at thinking their former professor's presence meant danger. All knew Harry, Hermione, and Severus would likely never be truly safe again.

"Did something happen? Does someone have her? Is she in danger?"

"She's fine, Potter. Might you tell me where her home is? I'm aware of it being in Hartlepool but not the exact location."

Harry seemed to think this over. Likely he'd been told no one under any circumstances was to be told.

"Just a second, Sir. Do you want to come in while I get it for you?"

"Thank you, I'll wait here."

Harry nodded and turned away, disappearing further into the house but returning moments later with a piece of paper (not parchment) and an address written on it in ballpoint pen ink versus quill ink.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter," he said.

He'd been to Hartlepool before. It'd been years so he stopped at the local muggle library to consult a map on where he could apparate within close proximity to her home without risking being seen. He knew she'd have wards on her property.

He found a spot he thought met his needs and from the empty bathroom of the library he made his way to said place. She was very secluded here. He could see why it would appeal to her, but defending it would be a nightmare. If someone ever did find her no one would get to her quickly enough to save her.

"The war is over, Severus, quit thinking like a spy."

With a deep breath he made his way in the direction he knew her home to be based on the map he'd consulted.

He knocked on the door and waited. He wasn't sure what she needed with a house so large. He knew she was there. He could feel her. Not just her magic either.

Just her.

She opened the door after pausing on the other side of it for a moment. No doubt recognizing who it was by his magic.

"Harry," she said simply. "I will have to reiterate to him that no one means no one."

"Oh? And you'd want me to inform him of the fact that as your husband I certainly have the right to know where my wife has run off to?"

"Why do you care, Severus?"

"I was concerned."

"As you can see I am fine. As you can feel I have sufficient protection around my home. If there's nothing else," she said, preparing to close the door.

"Witch. Will you talk to me?"

"About what?"

"Why you are behaving in such a manner."

"Don't worry about it, Severus."

"I'm here, aren't I? So clearly it's a little late cautioning me against doing so."

She sighed. "What do you want?"

"I've just told you!"

"Is it because I'm not Lily?" she asked.

"I'm sorry? What has Lily to do with any of this?"

"Do you not wish to be bonded to me because of Lily Potter?"

Did she really just ask him that? Did she really think that?

"She has nothing to do with it."

"So it's just me then? I'm deficient somehow?"

"Hermione, you know that's not the case."

"Then what?"

"I told you I thought of asking permission to court you."

"And to escort me to the dance, which is less than two weeks away! I suppose you expect me to be available at the last minute."

Well, put like that it did seem as if that was what he was doing.

"No, Hermione. I didn't think you'd say yes to either request so I refrained from asking. I enjoy our evenings together quite a lot in truth. I didn't want to be responsible for them coming to a close by making you uncomfortable."

"And you don't think divorcing me without even talking to me about it doesn't make me uncomfortable?"

"We didn't get married, Hermione!"

"Evidently, the Ministry says we did. You and I both know that it said bonded and blood. That isn't a mistake nor is it something they're going to just let us out of."

"Hermione." He frowned. Why was this witch so confounding? "You can't possibly want to be married to me."

"And yet I am. We are."

"Surely Professor Bergman or someone would be more to your liking. You certainly didn't think twice about dressing for him. Or cavorting about in a bathing suit that left little to the imagination."

She scoffed, preparing to shut the door again.

"For being an intelligent wizard, Severus Snape, you sure are acting daft. I asked you to go outside with us that day if you recall. I wanted to have a day of fun, knowing work would start in the next day or two. I also thought it was good to make those newer and maybe intimidated by my history. Neville's history. Make them feel welcome, like we weren't a clique they were going to be on the outside looking in. And for your information, I didn't dress yesterday morning to impress anyone but you," she said, taking the opportunity to poke her finger into his chest. "Clearly it wasn't a good enough effort. Now if there's nothing else I'm sure you and Minerva have something more to decide without consulting me."

"What would you have me do, Witch?"

She shook her head. "Good night, Severus."

"Madam Snape," he said, setting his hand on the door. "You've asked me to talk to you. I am here trying to do just that. What do you want from me?"

"First and foremost I want you to want to know how this came to pass. Instead of focusing on dissolving our bond, find out with me why it happened. Will we suffer if we dissolve it? Will it just happen again? I mean clearly something is at work here. Something or someone wanted us not just married but bonded by blood. Brightest witch and wizard of our ages, you and me. I want to figure it out! With you! You seem to be more concerned with being a single wizard again yet throwing at me my name and that I'm your wife. Yet get seemingly jealous thinking I'm dressing for another wizard. Are you one of those? Like other old-fashioned wizards I've come across, who believe their little witch should be sitting at home pristine and loyal while they can bed any other witch they want? You don't strike me as the type to do that, though. You are loyal and I think any witch would be lucky to have that loyalty aimed at them. The only reason I've been able to come up with as to why you're focusing more on dissolving it than why and how it happened is because I don't meet your strict standards of a wife."

"Hardly as I'd never entertained having a wife to set standards for one. May I come in?"

She stood for a long moment, looking at him closely before she finally allowed him entry.

He crossed over the threshold and felt her magic … accept him. He didn't know how else to describe it. It was different than if he were crossing Potter's wards or anyone else for that matter. He knew because of their bond he could now return uninvited if he so chose.

They stared at one another. He was truly taken aback. She had dressed for him? No one had ever done that before.

She thought she wasn't sufficient.

How ironic because he knew he wasn't.

He took a deep breath, making a decision that he'd probably come to regret later. "Before we talk any further. Would you accept my offer of escorting you to the dance?"

"I would," she said softly, eyes not quite meeting his.

"If there's someone you'd rather …"

"No!"

"Very well then. And thank you for agreeing to accompany me."

"I'm flattered," she said and he could tell she was sincere.

Odd.

"Hermione I will gladly research with you but I assumed that you would want this mistake rectified quickly. Your reputation…"

"You think you are going to ruin my reputation?"

"If it's discovered you don't recall binding with me, yes. That will call what you're doing with me into question."

"Is that why you didn't ask to court me?"

"In part."

"The other part?"

"I was not sure how to ask."

"Severus," she said, sounding frustrated.

"I've never asked a witch such a question so have no idea how."

"Certainly you've seen it."

"Of course. Narcissa Black couldn't hold a candle to you when it comes to intelligence so her simpering acceptance of Lucius' request was not what I imagined you'd say."

"I think there's a compliment in there somewhere."

"There is. You are not simple. I would expect you to want the best from a suitor. Intelligence, certainly, but a means to support you emotionally, physically, and financially, as you should go into such a commitment expecting. I am not aware of how to do any of those things. Not that I am galleonless or without means to support you. I have no example to feed off. My parents and I barely survived."

"I understand."

"I will, of course, research with you. I cannot speak for Minerva but my thoughts were solely about you; your reputation and your future by focusing on the legal issue."

In truth he'd been in such shock the past day or so that the idea that if they dissolved the marriage that it may just happen again hadn't occurred to him. She was right, though, blood bonds were difficult (putting it mildly) to get dissolved.

He decided for now a moment of levity might be in order.

"Will you show me your home?"

"Thinking that I could be a progressive witch and financially support you instead of the other way around?"

He smirked with a low chuckle.

"The idea would be a sound one for some wizards I imagine. Not for me, though, no. I find myself with too much time on my hands now as it is.  In truth I would just like to see your home. You bought it and I assume there's a reason for it."

She gave him a tour ending in her kitchen where she began to brew them tea. She didn't have biscuits or anything to offer him since she hadn't intended on returning home until Christmas.

"What research have you done?" he asked.

"None. I've been a little shocked and well mad."

"I should have consulted you. You are correct. You are an adult. You have proven to be anything but flighty or unable to make difficult decisions. It will not happen again."

"Somehow I suspect it will, Severus, but I appreciate the sentiment."

He snorted his agreement because he had to admit she wasn't wrong. It should bother him that she knew him well enough to know that. It didn't, though, not in the least.

"Will you return to Hogwarts with me and we can begin in the library together instead of brewing this evening?"

She looked tentative, as if she thought he was going to go behind her back and do something again. He loathed being responsible for that look being on her face at all.

"I can do that," she finally agreed.

"Now will you tell me why you purchased such a large home?"

"You don't like it?"

"I didn't say that. It's a lot of house for one witch."

"Oh well," she shrugged. She looked at her kitchen which in his estimation could easily fit a table to seat eight to ten people if she desired.

"I liked it, obviously. The realtor told me though that due to the rumor of the house being haunted the owners were willing to sell it for quite a bargain."

"And is it?"

"I have seen no evidence of anything like that, no. Of course it wouldn't bother me after six years at Hogwarts anyway."

"Quite."

"So now I'm known as ‘that young lady who bought the haunted Morrison place'. I was fortunate to strike up a cordial friendship with a local mechanic who, despite the rumors, offered to help me winterize my car and garage for storage."

Severus snorted. "I'm sure he did it out of the goodness of his heart."

"Yes, well, I wouldn't embark on a relationship with someone built completely on lies. He doesn't even know my real name."

"What name did you choose?"

She smirked. "Sarah Toby Williams."

"I take it that means something to you?"

"Somewhat. A fictional muggle reference but I don't think any Death Eaters or Snatchers will have seen the movie and think I'd combine two characters' first names, one being a boy."

"Probably safe in that assumption. You should probably send Mr. Potter an owl or a patronus to let him know that you are alright. I could tell he was concerned when I came looking for you."

"I will," she said, calling up her otter patronus and having a message delivered that she was alive and well and safe and that Severus had found her.

"Let me collect my mail and then we can leave," she said.

"I can clean up while you do that," he said, gesturing to the tea service. He figured it was the least he could do since she prepared the tea for him. Would she have even eaten if he hadn't come today? A glance in her kitchen cabinets told him there wasn't even dry or canned goods for her to have eaten. He'd have to remedy that in case she chose to escape here often.

And then he wondered when exactly it was that he started caring as to whether this witch ate. She had not gained weight back from her time on the run. He'd noticed that fact the day she'd been with the others outside in her bathing suit. Not that he'd seen her in such a state of dress prior to that day, but he had seen her a few times in the infirmary to be aware of what her form looked like pre and post horcrux hunt.

She made her way out the front door and to the mailbox by the road. He noticed the mailbox and trusted in her ability to know she was safe but he watched through the window anyway once he'd started their tea dishes to washing.

"That's all?" he asked when she returned with maybe three or four pieces of mail.

"Sarah Toby Williams isn't a real person. I don't get much mail aside from the expected household bills. I did get a credit card, one under each name, to start establishing myself in the muggle world. Hermione Granger's bills go to Harry's home to keep up the deception that I have no official home."

"I see," he said. "Mail of course could not start showing up there for Sarah Williams."

"Exactly."

"That's not bad thinking, actually. Just be careful."

"I'm sorry?"

"With the credit cards."

"Oh, right, I know. I charged a few inexpensive things on each and paid more than the minimum payment the past couple of months. This next month I'll pay the balance in full. Repeat and recycle until Hermione and Sarah both have a record of paying their bills timely."

"Good. I had a muggle neighbor who fell into that trap and couldn't ever get himself out of it."

"Oh?"

"It did not end well for him. He lost his job, started charging everything, and well," he shrugged.

"I can imagine that it's easy to do."

"It is."

"On the other hand, I bought his house and the one on the other side of him and now I have quite the yard for a garden, magical and muggle."

"You didn't!"

"It was one of the first things I did when I was able. I'd admittedly been eyeing the lot on the other side of his for years, but didn't want to deal with having someone in between my home and my ingredients, food or potions. Not to mention I didn't expect to live past the war so what was the point? The area is not a good one so I think the bank was just happy to get it off their hands. Finding a buyer was not going to happen."

"And the houses?"

"I started renting out the third one to a family about a month ago, letting them know that next spring I may use some of their yard as a garden. The wife admitted to not having much of a green thumb so said she would just be happy to look at flowers and such as they bloomed. So, that one will be more of a hobby garden. Why they wanted to rent there I have no idea, but they were vetted. The house next door I had torn down and have been working on plans for a greenhouse in my spare time this fall."

"That sounds nice. I was thinking of doing something similar next summer. I have more than enough space, but had no time this year to plot it out and plan what I might like to grow. The research, too, as to what will grow best here."

"I can certainly assist when you get to that point."

"I'd like that, Severus, thank you."

He was about to suggest they return to Hogwarts when a very imposing elk found its way into her living room.

I'm glad to know you are alright and that Severus found you. I anxiously await your impromptu dissertation stating why I shouldn't have given it to even him at a future time. Have a good day.

"An elk?" he asked, regarding the creature. It was rather magnificent if he wasn't being biased in his feelings toward Harry Potter.

"It changed," she said softly.

"When?" He was curious because he hadn't had the stag for very long, to change in such a short time with no event to alter it was unusual.

"About the time he realized that his father wasn't exactly the hero Sirius made him out to be," she said.

"I see," he said, stepping around to take in the complete form of the patronus of the son of the man who was the bane of his existence.

"It is rather imposing, isn't it?"

"It is," he said. "I might even be inclined to give points to Gryffindor for such a well put together patronus."

"I'm sure he'd get a good laugh out of that. I will remind you when we return."

"Please do. I might also recommend to Professor Bergman that he use Potter when he gets to a Patronus lesson."

"Mine's not good enough, you mean?"

"I didn't say that. I'm sure he already has you earmarked for such a lesson. Yours however has not changed, and no offense but yours is an otter."

"Not very threatening, you mean?"

"Well, yes," he said with a nod as the patronus they were discussing dissipated.

"Um, have you actually researched otters and their aggressive behavior?"

"I guess I have not."

"I'll loan you a book, Sir," she said with a giggle.

"And you called me Sir," he said, not sure he liked that turn in events.

"Habit."

"Well, try to refrain from doing so, please. It's rare I grant someone the ability to address me informally. I'd hate to have to retract the offer."

"Yes, well, I'll be sure to tell Minerva you're making your wife call you Professor Snape and Sir if that happens."

He snorted.

"Well, then, Wife, do you have what you need so we can go back?"

"I think so," she said, leading him out of the front door so she could reset her wards. He followed her to a gardening shed in the backyard that was big enough for both of them to fit in but that was about it.

"That was a yes to the dance, yes?"

"I should make you sweat it out for thinking that you could ask me now and expect me to say yes."

"I did not expect you to say yes, thus the reason I did not ask."

"Hmm," she said, eyeing him with apparent interest. He was reminded of the fact she'd seen him in less clothes than anyone ever had (barring his mother and father he supposed) and had not seemed to mind the view. She cleared her throat softly as if knowing what he was thinking about. "Shall we then?"

"You're waiting for me?"

"That was the idea, yes," she said.

"Very well," he said, offering his arm so they could sidealong back to Hogwarts.

Return to Top

Part 6 | Part 8

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com