***Chapter Two***

Kenny sat on the other side of Professor Bergman as he had at dinner last night. So Hermione got the pleasure, or lack thereof depending on differing points of view, of sitting next to Professor Snape again. He'd basically grunted at her when she'd bid him good morning.

"Did you have a good night, Professor?" she asked once he'd taken a few sips of his coffee.

"It was uneventful."

"Well, that has to be an improvement over previous Augusts."

He scoffed, turning to look at her. He wasn't scowling or frowning at her. Indeed, he almost appeared as if he was trying to refrain from smiling. The look in his eyes suggested she'd surprised him with her cheeky statement. Surely though, she wasn't wrong. She shuddered to think what he'd gone through in his efforts to help defeat Voldemort.

"Very much so," he said so low it was clear he only meant for her to hear his answer.

"And you, Apprentice Granger?" he asked after a few moments of silence.

"Yes, thank you, Sir. Neville, Kenny, and I talked until after one o'clock I think," she said. "We may have depleted the castle's wine stock by a couple of bottles in the process."

The potions professor snorted, taking a moment to glance at the two wizards she'd mentioned. Hermione did, too, and noticed Kenny in particular was watching her. She blushed, ducking her head a bit to focus on eating. She couldn't help but notice Professor Snape's scowl in the other wizard's direction.

"That was Hermione," she heard Neville next to her say to Professor Bergman.

"What was me?" she asked.

"The witch who went to the Yule Ball with Krum during the TriWizard Tournament," Neville said.

Hermione felt herself blushing again.

"Did you know Viktor, Professor Bergman?" Hermione asked.

"Ja," he said. "I was seeker prior to him."

"Oh," she said with a nod. She hoped this wasn't going to lead to a conversation about quidditch. "Does he know you're here?"

"I'm not sure," he said thoughtfully.

"Well, I will certainly mention you to him the next time we exchange letters, Professor."

"Einar, please," he said. "And I recall him mentioning you."

"I hope it was something good," she said.

"As if there's anything bad to say about you, Hermione."

"Neville," she said, brushing her shoulder against his arm.

"It was all good. He was very disappointed you didn't visit him after he returned from his time here at Hogwarts I remember."

"Unfortunately, my parents had other plans for me that summer."

"And you still write to him?"

"Yes. He was here a few weeks ago actually."

"Krum was here?" Neville asked. "And I missed him?"

"Viktor was just here for a bit, Neville. He didn't see Harry or Ron either."

"But he saw you?"

"Yes," she said.

She was blushing again. Morgana's hair, could she be any more pathetic with all of the blushing this morning?

"He wanted to see in person that I was really okay."

"How heartwarming," Professor Snape said from beside her.

There was something in his eyes, though, that made Hermione think that while his tone was somewhat sarcastic his words were not meant to be. His comment while it could be scathing or insulting, the look in his eye almost made her think he was … jealous?

How odd.

How exciting.

"He actually came to pay his respects to you, Professor, and assumed, correctly I might add, that I'd be here studying."

"He does know you well then," he said with a slight nod. "Please tell Mr. Krum that I appreciate his well wishes and am sorry that I do not recall his visit."

"I will," she said. "He holds great respect for you, Sir."

Professor Snape nodded simply at that, letting his eyes linger on her face just a bit longer than was maybe necessary. She kind of liked how he looked at her. She wondered, coming from him, what it meant exactly.

"I was going to show Kenny and Professors Bergman and Laurent the grounds a bit. Do you want to come along?" Neville asked when they'd finished breakfast.

"Actually, I was going to go to Diagon Alley with Professor Snape to get some things."

"All right."

"If you'd rather do that, Apprentice Granger," Professor Snape said from behind her.

She turned to face him. Did he not want her to go with him? Why was he so impossible to get a read on? Of course, if he wasn't he would have been dead years ago, so she supposed she should be glad of that. There were times he looked at her as if he liked her. She found herself looking at him that way, too, after their talks this summer. She absolutely would not make a fool of herself, though. A friendship would be sufficient, she loved the conversations they had and couldn't imagine ever being bored by him. He challenged her, and she thought she did the same to him even if he'd never say so.

"No, of course not. I really do need to get some things. I've sort of avoided Diagon Alley as much as I could this summer. Unless you'd rather I not accompany you," she said, realizing maybe he didn't want her to. Then again, if he didn't, why had he mentioned he was going at all?

He nodded in understanding. She was Hermione Granger. She'd testified for and against several people. People were incarcerated or walking free in part because of what she said. Reporters and civilians were all hoping to catch a glimpse of her doing something that would tarnish her sterling reputation (despite Rita Skeeter's attempts at besmirching it).

"I wouldn't have offered you to if I didn't. I don't make it a habit of saying things I don't mean, surely you know this by now," he said. "I'll meet you at the main entrance in about ten minutes then. If that's enough time?"

"I'm already set to go," she said, retrieving her beaded bag from its spot next to her chair.

One thing she'd like to do is find a bag to replace this one. It was pretty hideous looking and, worst of all, stood out. She'd prefer something like a muggle backpack or satchel that would look more commonplace with anything she wore. It would do for now until she found what she wanted to replace it with. After toting this around for months she knew better now what she would like in a bag like this.

"Alright then," he said. "I'll be there in less than ten minutes then."

"Great," she said, following Neville, Kenny, and Professors Bergman and Laurent outside onto the grounds just in front of the main entrance. The five of them talked a bit while she waited for Professor Snape.

"I'll join you if you're still out when we get back," she said.

"All right," Neville said, leading the other three wizards away from the castle.

She and Professor Snape walked toward the gate so they could apparate.

"Do you have an opinion on Einar?" Hermione asked, glancing at him as they walked.

"Not particularly. I know he's recently qualified to be a professor."

"Has he actually dueled?" Not that dueling was all that was required of the Defense Against the Dark Arts position.

"Yes," he said simply. "I've heard he's rather good."

"Could he beat you?"

He scoffed and then met her eyes, seeming to realize she was sincere with her question. "No."

"I wouldn't think so," she said. "And the other apprentice?"

"Not Mr. Longbottom, you mean?"

"I already know your opinion of Neville, Sir."

"Indeed. I haven't had enough time to form an opinion."

"I see," she said.

"You're not going to ask me about the esteemable Professor Laurent?"

"No, I'd love to hear it if you have an opinion. I assume since she hired him that Minerva approves of him."

Professor Laurent wasn't too much older than Einar. Hogwarts was definitely getting some fresh blood with those two hires and the three apprentices. Severus Snape was no longer the youngest professor on staff as he had been for almost twenty years.

Would that bother him, she wondered? She'd have to see if she could determine if it did or not on her own. She'd never put a voice to that question.

They did a side-along apparition to Diagon Alley so that they were sure to arrive at the same place, collecting themselves for a moment. Well, Hermione needed a moment, Professor Snape looked as he normally did. Their presence was noticed almost immediately, but being early in the day there weren't too many people out. They got a few curious glances. Severus was on the receiving end of a few frowns and dirty looks, but no one approached them. None of those who'd spotted them seemed as if they were running to the Prophet at any rate. She imagined that was his reason for choosing the time he did.

"Do you really need my help to purchase robes, Apprentice Granger?"

"Well, Sir, I was hoping you would help me, yes. I want to be sure they're appropriate as an apprentice, but then I'd like to get a couple that are appropriate for brewing, too."

"Is Filius expecting you to brew?"

"No, I was hoping you'd let me help you."

"Why on earth would I do that?"

He sounded more amused than put out by her suggestion. Until this summer she'd never thought of an amused Severus Snape being a positive thing. And until this summer she never would have noticed the difference.

"Because I'd like to learn more. I paged through your book, the one Harry used in our sixth year. You were so brilliant even then. I'd like to work with you. I know I have much more to learn."

"You are Filius' apprentice."

"It won't cut into my time," she offered quickly. Surely he knew that! She managed to do her work and keep Harry and Ron current with theirs for six years. Surely she could do a Charms apprenticeship and learn potions from him.

He sighed heavily. "I'll consider it."

"So, you'll help me consider a robe or two that would be appropriate for that?"

"Mayhaps," he said, but they both knew he would. He would have said no if he wasn't at least interested in trying the idea out.

They headed to Madam Malkin's first where she purchased enough robes to give her a bit of a selection, including ones acceptable for brewing. Much to his chagrin she then dragged him to Twilfitt and Tattings for some formal robes as the one she currently had no longer fit properly and transfiguring could only do so much for so long. She brought him along wanting feedback because she truly had no idea what she would be expected to do as an apprentice and how many formal events there would be. She wanted to ensure she represented herself, Filius, and Hogwarts appropriately. She didn't want to look like she was eighty years old either, though. It was a fine line. She knew Severus wouldn't allow her to cross it.

She accompanied him to an apothecary. She browsed, giving him space while he conducted his business. She kept an ear and eye trained on him, though, listening as he negotiated and finalized his purchases. After the apothecary they stopped at a store where they both purchased parchment and ink as well as quills. Her lips twitched at the amount of red ink he purchased. Their last stop was Flourish and Botts where they both browsed independently (though ended up in the same area more than once) for quite a while before purchasing a handful of books each.

"Are you ready then, Apprentice Granger?"

"Actually, Professor, would you trust me enough to sidealong with me?"

"Whatever for? We both know where the gates of Hogwarts are."

She blushed, hoping this wouldn't appear too forward to him. She knew shopping for robes was not what he really wanted to do with his day. Yet he'd done it. That had to mean something. Didn't it?

"I'd like to thank you for accompanying me today, and for allowing me to brew with you."

"I said I'd consider it."

"Sure you did, but we both know that means you will allow me to or you would have just said no and wouldn't have offered input on robes that would be appropriate for such a task."

"Apprentice Granger," he cautioned.

He wasn't mad, though. She knew his eyes well enough by now. She wondered if anyone else noticed them. She looked up at him then, brown eyes meeting black ones.

"Please, Sir?"

"Very well," he said with a huff, seeming to notice that standing still as they were was leading to more attention. They'd been here for a while and the area was definitely getting busier.

They removed their robes, Severus was obviously in a very trusting mood because he'd handed his to her to put in her beaded bag with hers before walking toward the Leaky Cauldron. She situated her bag appropriately before sliding her arm through his once they were in muggle London. She tried to ignore the feeling of … giddiness at the idea that she was touching Severus Snape. Granted it was through sleeves, but still. How many could say that? She doubted very many at all.

"Ready?"

"As I'll ever be, Apprentice Granger."

She closed her eyes, focusing on the empty area she wanted to arrive at hoping that she wasn't making a huge mistake. They arrived exactly where she wanted and she breathed a soft sigh of relief. She felt his hand move from under her arm, but he didn't let go. Instead he slid it around her to steady her. She felt him watching her and glanced at him, surprised that he would do such a thing. He hadn't that morning. She couldn't ignore the quickening of her pulse from the contact either. He drew it away eventually, but he wasn't too quick about it or anything.

Had he liked the contact, too?

"Worried?"

"Not at all, Sir, but it's been a few years since I've been here so I wasn't so sure this was still an appropriate place to apparate."

"I see," he said.

She started walking in the direction they needed to go and after a couple of blocks they found themselves in front of a very unimpressive looking diner. In fact most people walking past would probably go elsewhere.

"Don't judge," she said, noticing his reaction. For someone who had grown up rather poorly he sure could be a snob about things she'd noticed. (She wasn't certain which piece of information shocked her more: that he was not pureblood or that he'd grown up in Cokeworth.)

He nodded then, holding the door open for her. She smiled broadly at that, ducking her head a bit so he wouldn't notice.

"Thank you!" Who knew Professor Snape could be a gentleman? "They have the best chips I've ever had," she said as she went in before him.

"Really?" He sounded skeptical.

"Really," she said.

"Well, all right then," he said, following her in.

He set a hand at the small of her back as they made their way to a table toward the back of the restaurant. It was absolutely not unpleasant at all to feel the warmth of his strong hand touching her. There was that giddy feeling again.

She was hopeless. This was Severus Snape. He was being polite, nothing more.

He sat facing the room (and all exits), of course. Always the spy. It made her feel safe. Funny how events could change one's perception so quickly and easily.

They perused the menu once they were seated unnecessarily as they both ordered fish and chips with soft drinks.

"How do you know of this place?" The question came after a bit of uncomfortable silence between them as if they both realized they were doing something … different here. This wasn't a meal in the Great Hall or her sitting by his sickbed.

"My grandpa brought me here when I was little. Swore me to secrecy of not telling Grandma because she didn't want him to eat fried food."

"Did you ever tell her?"

"Of course not!"

"Why not?" he asked, actually sounding curious.

"I liked those times with him. He's my father's dad and they never had a daughter, and my parents only had me so I think he liked to treat me like the daughter he never had."

He nodded with a slight smirk. "Good girl," he said simply.

"So do you think Einar's going to last past this year?" she asked.

"He certainly has the potential. I reviewed his lesson ideas before Minerva hired him," he said.

"I remember," Hermione offered.

"What?"

She scoffed. "You thought I didn't know what you were hiding from me?"

"Impertinent witch," he said, but it lacked the venom it might have held once upon a time. In fact if she didn't know better she'd think he was teasing her.

How odd.

"I'm glad she had you review it, and him. I presume he's from Durmstrang and she wouldn't want to hire a known follower."

"Correct."

"So, any other opinions?"

"Plenty, but as far as Professor Bergman goes, no."

"He seemed nice."

"Is that because your paramour has spoken to him about you?"

She scoffed. "No, though that was of course flattering."

"It doesn't hurt that you're Hermione Granger, best friend to The Boy Who Lived. Twice."

"True," she admitted. "I don't play that card, though."

"I know," he said, watching her closely. For what she wasn't sure. She didn't look away, though. "I'm going to be brewing after dinner tonight, stocking up the infirmary."

"Is that an invitation to assist you?"

"If you're not too busy depleting the castle's wine stores."

She snorted none too ladylike.

"Two bottles of wine between the three of us is hardly depleting the castle's supply, but I'd be happy to assist you."

"I may have the latest Potion Master's Apprentice issue on hand as well."

She brightened at that. "Really?"

"Mayhaps," he said.

She hadn't even known such a thing existed until Minerva went through Professor Snape's post that had been piling up since his absence at Hermione's pleading. She wanted to find something to read to him while he was healing that he'd actually enjoy hearing about. There had been quite a few issues of Potion Master's Apprentice in his post and she'd read each of them cover to cover more than once.

"So did the fish and chips meet with your approval?"

"Passable," he smirked. The fact that there was barely even a crumb left on his plate told the truth.

"I'm sure Grandpa would be pleased."

"They are no longer?"

"Oh, they're still alive. I haven't seen them in a while. It's hard having to lie about what I'm doing," she shrugged. "My parents barely understood it all, and they didn't want to lie either. To my family, I'm away at a special boarding school. And now, well, looking at my grandparents, seeing them sad, knowing my parents' - their son or daughter - are really alive and well." She shrugged, taking a sip of her drink. "It hurts that I am causing them to feel pain."

"I see. Would they accept? The magical world, I mean."

"I don't know. I mean, I'm sure now they would. When I was eleven, though, I think my parents were afraid our family would think they were crazy for believing Minerva and Professor Dumbledore."

"Understandable," he nodded. "No siblings?"

"No. They evidently tried before me to no avail. I think there were some losses in there, but Mom hasn't told me details."

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Don't be. I'm very lucky. I'm sure if they hadn't tried so hard they would have been far less indulgent of me over the years. I'm quite certain I wouldn't have been allowed to go to Hogwarts."

"I suppose you may have a point. And I assure you, Apprentice Granger, you saved your parents' lives. They would've been home, you know that. So, yes, your grandparents are experiencing the pain of loss but you did what you had to do during a war."

"Thank you. I know, when you put it like that, of course. It just hurts they think they're gone. They love their kids." She reached across the table, setting her hand over the top of his. "I'm sorry you didn't have that same experience."

He shrugged, moving his hand from under hers but he didn't pull it away as if offended she noticed. "It is what it is. I don't need your pity, Apprentice Granger."

"I'm not pitying you," she said, exasperated that he'd think so. "Empathizing with you is not pity. Before Harry, and you, I never realized I grew up in an exceptional way."

"I see," he said.

"I would never insult you in such a way, Professor."

"I suppose you wouldn't," he said with a slight nod after studying her for a moment.

"I'm only sorry your memories had to be shared with others."

"No more sorry than I am, I assure you."

"I know you're a very private person. Harry didn't do it to be cruel. He really thought it was necessary. He showed them to me so that I could help him weed out which ones the Wizengamot absolutely did not need to see."

"I appreciate your attempt at discretion."

"So, any other errands before we head back?" she asked, wanting to change the subject.

She knew this was a sore subject for him. She was still getting over the fact he'd known Harry's mum and dad, and that James and Sirius had been outright pricks as young wizards.

"You were the one that needed to go shopping."

"I know, but I thought maybe there were things here you may need as well."

"I'm as stocked as I need to be for now with what I procured today."

"Okay."

She set her hand over his again when he attempted to pick up the bill.

"No, my treat, really. Thank you for coming with me. Not just here either. No offense to Filius, but I'm not sure he's who I wanted to help me pick out robes."

His lips slid up into the barest hint of a smile, and he gave her a slight nod, letting her pick up the bill so that she could pay for their lunch.

They apparated back to the gates of Hogwarts separately and walked to the main entrance together. One thing she liked about spending time in Professor Snape's company was that silences were not uncomfortable. They didn't have many when she sat with him over the summer, but they weren't stressful. Neither seemed to feel the need to fill any lulls in conversation with nonsense.

He opened the door for her when they got to the castle, resting his hand against her back again as he let her enter first.

"I'm going to put my purchases away and then see if Neville is still showing Kenny and the new professors around the grounds."

"I'll see you at dinner then."

"You could join us."

"No, I have things to do as well."

"Of course. So then I imagine you will see me at dinner. Thanks again."

"My pleasure, Apprentice Granger," he said with a polite bow of his head before he headed in the direction of his quarters in the dungeons. She only just now realized he hadn't moved his hand from her back until they'd parted ways.

And she hadn't minded at all.

"Hello, Isaac," she said to the portrait at the entrance to her quarters.

"Hermione! How lovely to see you. Did you have a pleasant day?"

"Well, it's not over yet, but it has been rather nice so far, yes."

"Good, good."

"Do you ever do any taming in your portrait?" she asked curiously, noticing again the animals seemed to be lounging with him.

"Occasionally."

"Should I be frightened?"

The portrait version of the lion tamer chuckled. "I should think not."

"Good to know."

She whispered her password, smiling cheekily as she made her way inside to put her things away. Isaac had assured her he wouldn't let anyone pass who couldn't pronounce it correctly. Other than Viktor, and he wasn't here, she felt pretty safe with the password she'd chosen.

Knowing she wasn't leaving the castle again, she changed while in her quarters into a pair of denim shorts and a tank top over her two-piece bathing suit with a pair of sandals. She was one of two muggleborns in the castle at the moment, so she imagined she'd get some looks but if she was going to be walking around outside she wanted to be comfortable. And enjoy the weather while they had it in their favor.

She'd enjoyed showing Professor Snape something about her that no one else would know, and likely no one else ever would. Harry would go to the place with her and probably love it, but she doubted Ronald would. He never seemed to care enough to get to know the world that she came from.

Another point against him.

If she were doing that sort of thing.

She frowned slightly thinking about Ron. She supposed she should owl both of her friends that she'd arrived and everything. She'd do it later, after she had more to tell them than simply she'd arrived safely.

She made her way toward the greenhouses, assuming that would be the direction Neville and the others would be. He would take them to his favorite place last.

Sure enough, they were by the lake.

"Any squid sightings?" she asked as she approached them.

"Hermione," Neville said brightly. "Welcome back."

"Thank you. I feel better now that I have some Professor Snape approved robes," she said.

Neville blanched a little at that, but offered her a smile. He had visited Professor Snape while he was in the infirmary, but only before he'd regained consciousness. She'd talked to him about needing to get over his fear of their former potions professor since he was apprenticing to take over from Professor Sprout so would one day, presumably anyway, be his colleague.

"So, have you introduced them to Hagrid?" she asked, glancing back toward the half-giant's rebuilt hut.

So many memories there, good and bad. He'd always been their friend, though, and a calm in the storm that was a crazy six years as a student here. Thinking of their time with him as calm was rather amusing since nothing about Hagrid could really be described as calm. Yes, he needed to stop wanting rare and unusual creatures, but his love for every living thing was what endeared her to the half-giant.

"No. I figured I wouldn't expose them to his rock cakes this early in the term."

"That's probably smart," she said with a giggle.

She accompanied them as they walked around, letting Neville continue with his narration. She didn't have much more to add anyway. It was nice to see him like this, truthfully. She wondered what these three wizards would say if they could see the Neville she'd first seen back in their first year.

Elara brought them a snack and the five of them sat by the lake and feasted on finger foods. It was, Hermione had to admit, one of the most perfect and wonderfully lazy days she'd had at Hogwarts ever and certainly in general over the past couple of years. Even the giant squid seemed to be quiet, though they could see an arm rising out of the water once in a while.

Kenny and Hermione introduced the three non-muggleborn wizards to Frisbee, which seemed to go over pretty well. At least it was something to do that wasn't quidditch! Today was their last free day, they all knew that. She wasn't sure about the two professors, but imagined they, like the rest of them, welcomed this little reprieve before the work for the next year started. Oh sure, until the students actually arrived they'd have some free time, but not like this. Tomorrow, the apprentices started working toward their mastery and the professors had classrooms and lessons to get ready.

"We were thinking of swimming a bit before heading back in," Kenny said once their impromptu picnic had been pretty well picked over and they all seemed done with Frisbee.

"Well, good thing I put my suit on," she said. "That was my plan if I didn't find you lot. The water is sure to be cold, but it's too nice of a day to waste it!"

Kenny transfigured them a volleyball so that they had something to do in the water. Jean-Pierre (Professor Laurent had told them they could address him by his first name) hadn't known what a volleyball was to do it himself.

Hermione thought she was really going to like having another muggleborn wizard around. For a change there was someone she could talk about something with and make the others around them wonder what they were talking about.

It was fun. She hardly noticed the three wizards new to Hogwarts as they eyed her scars. It was inevitable. She knew Pansy would have some rude comment aimed at getting Hermione to hide her scars, but she refused. She never wanted people to forget that children fought their war for them.

They all cast drying charms on themselves once they were done and ready to head back to the castle. It was closing in on dinner time. Hermione slid her shorts back on, but draped her towel and tank top over her arm as she walked with the four wizards to the castle.

"I trust you had fun," Minerva said, smiling a bit at the five of them. Hermione imagined this was what the headmistress had envisioned when she did the hiring. Okay, maybe not Hermione in denim shorts and a bikini top, but camaraderie. The tentative beginnings of friendship.

"We did," Neville said.

"Neville is a great tour guide, Headmistress," Jean-Pierre offered. "His fondness for the castle and its grounds is very obvious."

Hermione noticed Professor Snape frown slightly as he approached them and wondered what that was about. The frown seemed to be directed at her. Did she look that bad? She didn't think so. She rather liked the recent changes in her body.

"You didn't dry your hair, Hermione," Einar said, moving his arm as if he was going to cast a charm to do so on her behalf

"No!" she said quickly, throwing her hands up to protect her hair. "Drying charms make it more unmanageable."

"Jeg beklager," he said, lowering his arm. "I am sorry to have overstepped."

"Not at all. Just trust me, you'll have nightmares for weeks if you use a drying charm on my hair."

"I doubt that," Kenny said, nudging her with his arm. "Let's see."

"I am not going to show you to prove that I'm telling the truth, but I am going to go get ready for dinner."

She made her way upstairs with Kenny and Neville following pretty closely behind her after everyone said goodbye to the headmistress and Professor Snape.

"I like your painting," Kenny said, eyeing it from behind Hermione.

Hermione smiled brightly. "Thank you. I think he suits me. Right, Isaac?"

"Indeed, Hermione," he said, bowing his head politely at her as he stroked the ears of one of the tigers in his painting.

"So polite," she said.

After being on the run with Harry and Ronald and the chaos of the few months after the war. Well, polite and gentlemanly was kind of nice.

"You're on a first name basis with your painting?"

"Yeah," she said with a shrug. "Oh, it looks like you just missed the lion." She pointed to what looked like the tip of a lion's tail at the edge of the painting and the lion was gone from his usual place.

That answered the question as to whether Isaac and the animals could leave the painting.

"He will meet him soon enough," Isaac said.

Hermione whispered her password once Kenny made his way down the hall to his quarters. She bit her lower lip a little as she watched him walk away. He was nice to look at for sure, but she shook her head as she realized it wasn't nearly as nice as watching billowing robes and a much thinner figure under those robes.

She sighed softly as she realized the significance of that thought.

She liked Professor Snape.

She'd liked sharing her grandfather's favorite fish and chips place with him.

Somehow, someway she'd developed feelings for him spending so much time in his company the past couple of months. She shook her head, knowing the futility in such feelings. At least, she supposed, they seemed to be on their way to being friends.

"Change for dinner," she muttered to herself.

What did one wear to dinner after just realizing you liked the man who'd been sitting next to you for the past few shared meals?

She walked into the great hall with Kenny who was talking to her about a movie.

"They remade The Shining ?" she asked, confused. She'd seen the version with Jack Nicholson because her dad liked it. She couldn't imagine it being redone, though.

"Yeah, it was a TV-movie. I guess Stephen King wasn't really happy with Kubrick's vision."

"Huh, yeah, I think I remember reading that now that you say that. I liked the book more than the movie, but thought the movie was all right. It was very different, but all right."

"Haven't seen I Know What You Did Last Summer or Men In Black either?"

"No," she said, taking her seat between Neville and Professor Snape with Kenny on the other side of him. "I was kind of busy this past year."

Professor Snape scoffed beside her.

"Clueless dolt," he murmured just loud enough for only her to hear. (He was very good at that, she noticed.)

"Please pass the salt, Apprentice Granger," he said.

She handed the shaker to him and met his gaze, offering him a slight shrug. It wasn't Kenny's fault he didn't truly understand what they'd had to deal with. She felt him dip into her mind and he shook his head as she started to push him out.

He really needs to take lessons if he thinks talking about all the things a war hero missed while she was starving and trying to ensure the savior of the wizarding world stayed alive is the way to get said war hero's attention. It's certainly not the direction I'd take.

Oh? What direction would you take?

Why I'd escort her to Diagon Alley, of course, to aid her as I could in starting the next chapter in her hopefully violence-free life.

And just like that he was gone from her mind.

"Well, on one of our free weekends we'll have to catch you up."

Kenny was aware he wouldn't get a TV or VCR to work in here.

"Great," Hermione said.

Maybe they could do that? Have a muggle weekend at her house? Neville might enjoy it, too.

"What are you guys talking about?" Neville asked.

"Movies," she offered, explaining the concept to Neville.

"Oh," he said with a nod. "They're good?"

"Some of them," she said.

"Batman and Robin was not very good," Kenny offered.

"Well, that's disappointing, I liked the first two," Hermione said. "And Forever was okay. I liked, um," she paused, thinking of the actor's name. "Tom Jones? I know that's not right, he's a singer not an actor. He played Harvey Dent. I assume you know who I mean. He was good. So was the guy who played the Riddler. And, well, okay Val Kilmer was a pretty hot Batman."

"Who?" Neville asked.

Hermione smiled while Professor Snape scoffed again.

She leaned toward him a bit. He was clearly listening in on their conversation, which pleased her.

"You know who Batman and Robin are?" she asked softly.

She wasn't completely surprised, but she was a little that he'd admit it. He didn't seem to like being a half-blood, even today.

"I have a Batman first issue, Apprentice Granger."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"That's worth…"

"Fortunately, my father never realized what his collection was worth."

"Oh," she said, eyes widening. She wasn't a comic collector, but she paid attention to the boys in grade school who were enough to know that was a big deal. "Is it in good shape?"

"Pristine."

"Can I see it?"

He arched an eyebrow at her. Her question surprised him. In a bad way? She wasn't sure.

"I'm sorry?"

"Can I see your Batman first issue?"

"I," he said, frowning slightly. "I'm not sure how you would."

She frowned at that and sighed.

"Well, maybe sometime. My dad liked comics, and that was an issue that was his biggest regret."

She turned her attention back to Neville and Kenny then. This was going to be a very long school year she imagined. She'd worn her feelings for Ron very obviously on her sleeve. She only hoped she would be better at hiding them this time.

"How did you keep current on movies and go to Ilvermorny?" Hermione asked.

"Breaks," he shrugged. "I have four younger brothers."

"Are any of them magical?"

"Don't appear to be, no accidental uses of magic anyway and the next oldest two are already past the age where they'd get their letters."

"Are they sad?" Neville asked.

"I don't know, they haven't really said and I guess I haven't asked. I don't want to be that brother that rubs it in. Dad already works two jobs with a third one on breaks when I'm around to babysit."

"Wow," Neville said. "I can't imagine," he said. "I mean, obviously there are squibs so it happens even in the magical world, but I just can't fathom it. I mean, look at the Weasleys."

"Thankfully, this year is the end of the line for the Weasleys," Professor Snape added from next to her.

"Until they start sending their children here," Hermione said. "I wouldn't be surprised if Bill and Fleur have their first one soon."

"Bite your tongue, Witch," Professor Snape said, but he smirked as he said it so she knew he wasn't totally serious.

"Of course that's assuming they'd send their children here and not Beauxbatons."

"It will be interesting to see how that works out," Professor Snape agreed.

Return to Top

Part 1 | Part 3

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com