***Chapter One***
August 1998

"I still don't understand why you're going back there to stay, ‘mione," Ron said from the doorway leading from the hall to her bedroom. "What was the point in even buying this place if you're only going to be here a couple months out of the year?"

It wasn't meant to be a bedroom. She was using what was supposed to be a family room as her bedroom. She'd magically cleaned the second and third floors before closing and magically sealing them off since she did not need the extra space at this time. If she had guests or something she could open the second floor up. She wasn't sure she would ever use the third floor.

"You basically spent the whole summer there as it is."

"Because it's a great opportunity, Ron," she said, crossing to him from the bathroom once she was sure she had everything and all was as it needed to be for potentially four months empty. She was lucky the downstairs bath was a full one, it made closing up the second floor an easy decision. Of course, this was all unnecessary as she had spent little to no time here other than basically to sleep since she bought the place.

"You could do anything with your NEWT scores, though. Anything! Why go back to Hogwarts?"

She pushed past him into her office, checking in there, too. It wasn't much of an office, basically all of the things she'd taken out of her parents' home before leaving it a little over a year ago knowing she'd likely never be back were in here. She hated leaving the things behind, but she had to believe they were safe here. Only Ron and Harry knew where her home was and she'd used a muggle solicitor Professor Snape referred her to to purchase it under an alias.

Technically, Hermione Jean Granger was homeless. Everyone just assumed she was living with Harry at Grimmauld Place, which Harry was fine with. Rita Skeeter was having a field day, writing all sorts of rubbish like she, Harry, and Ron were all involved with one another now after their months of living away from adults who would prohibit them from engaging in threesomes.

As if!

She'd already done this when Harry came to say goodbye an hour ago, but she was being thorough. Her new home would not burn down or flood from her own carelessness. She was distracting herself from getting mad at the two most important wizards in her life. She knew this was a setup between her two best friends, Harry came first feigning something he had to get to. Ron came second hoping to convince her to stay. She was also doing what she could to avoid the elephant in the room.

"I don't want to be an auror and nothing else in the Ministry appeals to me right now. This does."

Why didn't he understand that? She had enough of chasing dark wizards and horcruxes. It wasn't the life she wanted to lead.

And there was the elephant.

They hadn't yet talked about the kiss they'd shared in May. She was sure he wanted to, but she didn't.

Ever.

As soon as the war ended Hermione had gone immediately into study mode when she wasn't helping testify for (and against) people in front of the Wizengamot. She'd gotten permission to sit her NEWTs without having to take her seventh year and wasn't about to pass that opportunity up. She'd worked too hard not to get those scores. She'd also bought this house. Impulsive maybe but it was important to her she not mooch off Harry's generosity and she needed a place of her own especially after the past year.

Studying for Hermione meant spending hours at Severus Snape's bedside in Hogwarts' infirmary, reading to him until he woke about three weeks after Voldemort's death. She'd kept coming back when he hadn't dismissed her or been snarkily rude to her. Professor McGonagall had insisted he be taken care of by Poppy at Hogwarts where she believed he'd be safest and out of the public eye.

A bare-bones staff and no students meant that Hermione was left to her own devices. She knew from when her paternal uncle had been in a coma that it was believed that he could hear. So, Hermione had taken to reading aloud to him during those three weeks.

Surprisingly, he hadn't kicked her out when he woke up so she kept coming back while his body healed enough for him to go back to his quarters in the dungeons.

Once he'd come out of the coma and after she'd sat the NEWTs she broadened her reading material to include some potions journals and other periodicals that she thought he'd enjoy. They, surprisingly, enjoyed more than a few conversations about the various subjects she had reviewed for her NEWTs. He was helpful and, she couldn't deny, rather kind. She wasn't sure what to make of it.

It had only been about two weeks ago that he was cleared of all charges and given the opportunity to return to Hogwarts as the Potions professor in the fall. Minerva had offered him the Headmaster's position, but he apparently hadn't wanted anything to do with it. (Who could blame him?)

Or that's what Minerva had told Hermione over tea last week. Hermione had been given a room in May near the infirmary since she spent the bulk of her time there. It had clearly been vacant for quite a while and was possibly intentionally close to the infirmary. It was divine to have her own small sitting area, bathroom, and fireplace on the days she needed a break from the noise from repairs being done or the occasional night she was too tired to even floo home. Or needed a break from Professor Snape. His being kind was relative and she'd found out more than once just because he'd survived and been cleared he wasn't going to turn over a new leaf overnight.

Hermione strongly suspected that it was Professor Snape's influence that led to Filius Flitwick offering her an apprenticeship once her NEWT scores had been released. She wouldn't have bought a house if she'd known she was going to end up right back at Hogwarts. She was flattered and hoped she didn't disappoint the man. 

Either of them.

"I just don't want you to be so far."

"We'll see each other, Ron. You and Harry are my best friends, my being at Hogwarts won't change that. You can come to Hogsmeade," she said, making her way to her kitchen to double check everything was unplugged or off.

"I suppose," he said.

Finally, she shrunk the things she was bringing with her to Hogwarts and gave a soft sigh, regarding her living room one last time as she put the things in the beaded bag that had been her life line until three months ago.

Her parents' house had been completely destroyed by fire (incinerated more accurately) at some point while she, Harry, and Ron were on the run. She still wasn't sure if she'd done something wrong before leaving (like leaving an iron on) or if it was Death Eaters. She suspected Death Eaters given their activities at that time but she'd likely never know for sure.

Her parents had been ruled dead as a result of the fire and she'd received a nice insurance settlement that allowed her to buy her current home near Hartlepool. She received a more than fair offer on her parents' dental practice as well as the lot her childhood home had been on. This in addition to a nice inheritance as a result of being their sole heir and her parents being wise in their investing.

She felt a little guilty accepting the money and not going immediately to Australia to try to return her parents' memories, but there were still Death Eaters and former followers of Voldemort out there so she thought this was for the best. She'd invested the money that came from the practice so if she was ever able to return their memories and they wanted to come back to England and establish a practice here she could give them that money. She hesitated selling the home's lot, but she knew that keeping it wouldn't be safe or wise for her or her parents.

After buying the house and furnishings she had more than enough left over for a nice muggle car, too, for when she needed it. Mainly she bought it for appearances, living in a muggle town. The car was currently parked in her garage ready for storage. She'd treated a local muggle mechanic she'd met at the local library ironically enough to a home cooked meal in exchange for him getting the car, and garage, ready for being stored likely until next spring. He'd promised to help her whenever she was ready to drive it again. He'd been cute and nice, relatively intelligent (surprisingly for a mechanic, which she knew was terribly stereotypical to think) and if she were anyone else she definitely would have looked forward to seeing him again. However, he didn't know she was Hermione Jean Granger, he thought she was Sarah Toby Williams. She couldn't justify actually dating someone she had to lie to.

Given how seldom she expected to use the car she imagined it would last her many years. The only other thing she'd splurged on was to buy herself some new clothes that fit properly. A year on the run combined with her body growing in the way a young woman's body did she was badly in need of a complete wardrobe overhaul.

She still laughed at the fact that it was Severus Snape who'd helped her set up her identity. Obviously working as a spy he'd come up against some questionable but useful people. She had identification and the legal documents necessary under both names. Everything about her "adult" life was under Sarah Toby Williams. She didn't mind it that way. Let people wonder what happened to Hermione Jean Granger. (If only she could do that in the wizarding world, too!)

Even after all that she still had more than a tidy sum from her parents' home left to put into investments in the muggle world. She'd get a stipend with the Order of Merlin, First Class that Minister Shacklebolt told her she'd be receiving, room and board was included with her apprenticeship, and she was going to earn a bit of a wage, too. If she got desperate for money, which she doubted would happen, she could always offer tutoring to students at Hogwarts. So she was not expecting to have to touch those investments for quite some time.

Harry had promised to go by her house every couple of weeks to collect any mail items (household bills) and owl them to her since she had no one in the muggle world to forward her mail to. She'd return her paid bills to him by owl and he'd put them in the mail for her. Ron had been put out by that turn of events, but Harry understood muggle postage and the postal system as a whole so it just made sense.

Plus, she wasn't sure she wanted Ron to have access to her mail or her house. She trusted Harry like a brother. He was family. He also wouldn't treat her any differently or expect different things if he saw just how set her parents had left her. Ron. Well, he'd betrayed her trust when he'd left them and despite the kiss they shared she still wasn't sure she could trust him.

Harry also understood that he couldn't just apparate to her home from Diagon Alley. He knew that there were still people out there who would like to get their hands on any of them, but especially Harry Potter's mudblood friend. He understood that meant he'd have to apparate a few times before coming here. She wasn't sure Ron wouldn't get lazy or forgetful after a busy day and lead a Snatcher right to her home. (And yes she believed despite Voldemort's fall that they were still out there.)

Thus her avoiding talking about anything serious with him just yet. If he were to pressure her right now she'd say no to anything more than friendship between them. Really, deep down she knew that was her answer regardless of when they talked. She was hoping that he'd come to the same conclusion without her having to say so and damage their friendship even more.

Everything was covered and ready for her to be gone for months. It was weird to think that she might not be back here until Christmas. In reality, she could go without seeing Ron or Harry until then, too. That thought made her a little sad, but probably not in the way Ron hoped.

This was why she'd avoided engaging in any conversations about the kiss or their future. She knew what Ron took it to mean, but she hadn't taken it that way.

They'd survived! Despite Harry being a horcrux and dying, he was alive!

She'd kissed him because of that. It didn't mean all was forgiven. It didn't mean she was in love with him. Yes, she had a crush on him and a year ago she would have said yes more than likely. She really couldn't say for sure with how he'd treated her first with Viktor and then with Lavender.

Now she just didn't know anymore.

As the summer went on and she studied she kept going round and round in her mind about what kind of man would he be going forward if he left as he had then. True, Salazar Slytherin's locket was evil and likely there wouldn't be another war or possessed heirloom affecting them. She understood that. However, it wasn't a good sign of how he'd react in tough times to come. One thing she knew by listening to her parents talk about their marriage and lives together, there had been some trying times. She wanted someone she knew she could count on. To this point, Ron had not proven he was that person.

So, she was hoping the separation would do her some good. Him, too. She really hoped he'd come to the same conclusion she had on his own. She didn't want to ruin a friendship because of one ill-timed kiss.

"Owl me?" he said.

"Of course," she said. "I'll bore both of you to tears with my letters about Hogwarts doings I'm sure."

"You sure you don't want me to go with you? Make a day of it?"

"No, Professor Snape is going to meet me at the gate."

Ron grimaced at her mention of Professor Snape. He still hadn't totally wrapped his mind around the fact their potions professor had truly been on their side the whole time. It was another reason she found herself distancing herself from him. Professor Snape may not have been the nicest teacher, but he'd obviously had his reasons. The man had saved their lives more than once despite how rude Harry and Ron had been to him repeatedly. That seemed to mean nothing to Ronald. He was also upset that Harry hadn't allowed him to view the professor's memories.

"Why Snape and not Flitwick?"

"I'd assume Professor Flitwick is busy and Professor Snape is not."

"Okay, well good luck," he said, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Not that you need it or anything."

"Thank you, Ronald, that means a lot to hear you say that," she said, giving him a quick hug. "I hope your training goes well."

She grabbed her bag and Crookshanks' carrier, walking outside with Ronald. He went ahead of her to the apparition point. She closed and locked the door, setting her wards before making her way to the gardening shed that served as her apparition point. Only Harry would be able to get in among the wizarding world until she returned. Muggles would feel the need to move on from her property. This was exactly the way she wanted it.

"Ready, Crooks," she said before closing her eyes, focusing on the gate to Hogwarts and letting herself be taken by the pull of apparition. It was not Crookshanks' favorite way of traveling, but she didn't have a choice today. At Christmas she'd ask to have her fireplace connected to the floo network. She'd avoided it to this point not wanting anyone to potentially gain access that way.

She suspected Alastor Moody would be impressed at her efforts of constant vigilance. Others would probably call her paranoid. She'd essentially lost her parents; she wasn't going to lose what they'd worked hard to leave for her because of carelessness on her part.

"Hermione," Hagrid called and she smiled at her friend.

"Hagrid!"

"I didn't know you were coming back this year. Didn't think any of you lot were."

"She's not a student this year, Hagrid," came Professor Snape's voice from behind her.

She turned to meet her former potions professor's eyes. He looked well and she was happy to see that. Still a bit on the thin side the same as she was after a year of eating little more than berries, mushrooms, and nuts. He looked well, though, obviously healing.

"She's Filius' apprentice," Severus said. If Hermione wasn't mistaken he sounded almost proud of being able to say that.

"Aww, yeah, of course, that makes much more sense. You don't need the NEWTs anyway, if ever there was one who didn't it's you."

"Oh, I took them Hagrid."

"You did?"

"Yes. Last month. Minister Shacklebolt let me sit them privately."

It was the least he could do for all the testifying she'd done. Snape's scoff made her realize that there wasn't much ‘letting' involved in the process. She'd insisted and Minerva had seconded her request so the minister agreed.

"Oh, sure. So Charms was what you had to work with then?"

Professor Snape scoffed again and Hermione glanced at him once more. Was he laughing at her? No, he didn't appear to be.

"Not my only choice, no, just the most appealing. I wasn't sure I wanted to apprentice in Transfiguration here when the professor himself is new this year and I didn't like the offers that Ilvermorny or Beauxbatons made."

They'd come fast and furious once she got her scores, but Professor Flitwick's offer had been the most appealing. Hogwarts was still home and she'd wanted to help it, and its people, heal after the battle and war. Beauxbatons' offer had been a little more generous; she'd chosen to return home.

"Well, I'm right proud of you," Hagrid said.

Hermione beamed at him, setting Crookshanks' carrier down to hug Hagrid.

"I'll come by for tea soon, okay?"

"Look forward to it. Fang will, too, I reckon. I got him a new puppy. He's getting up there in years you know," he admitted and Hermione grew a little sad at the thought of no more Fang. She was glad then that he'd gotten a new one.

"What's his name?"

"Ripper," he said.

"Hagrid," she said, regarding him. "You really need to come up with names for your pets that won't scare the students!"

"But I don't want them messing with him!"

"Oh," she said, understanding somewhat. She supposed Hagrid was someone accustomed to being the victim of pranks. "Well, Fluffy wasn't exactly friendly."

"I'll think about it for the next one," he said with a seemingly thoughtful nod and returned the way to his hut. Professor Snape eyed her as Hagrid walked toward his hut.

"Is that all you have?"

"Yes, Sir," she said.

He gestured to her beaded bag, arching a brow at her. "That's going to last you all year?"

She smiled widely and he scowled a bit, but it wasn't unfriendly in nature she noticed. "Yes, Sir."

"Okay," he said, sounding doubtful.

"I was hoping that maybe you'd accompany me to Diagon Alley sometime before the term starts."

"Me?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Whatever for?"

"Some robes suitable for an apprentice."

"I should think the professor you're apprenticed to would be a better choice," he replied, sounding cautious.

"Oh, yes, of course," she said, eyeing him curiously.

Had she imagined he seemed to rather enjoy spending time with her? How silly of her to think he had. Of course, he'd had no choice but to listen to her. He'd probably celebrated the day he no longer had to deal with her. She wasn't sure a part-goblin was who she wanted to give her tips on apprentice robes, though.

She sighed softly. So much for a friendship with Professor Snape. Evidently it was going to be back to normal.

"I can ask Professor Flitwick."

She knew she was unable to keep the disappointed sound from her voice.

"He had a last minute meeting and said he will meet up with you later today or tomorrow, so I will show you to your quarters and let you get settled."

"Thank you," she said.

"How are you?" she asked after a minute of silence.

They hadn't experienced these moments of discomfort this summer. At least she didn't think they had. There'd always been some topic to fill the gaps with. It was the first time she could remember feeling stimulated by someone. It was a bit disconcerting that it had been Professor Snape causing that feeling, but her brain evidently saw things she had not recognized in him. She wasn't looking for a relationship, but to have someone to talk to who was compatible was a very new experience.

"I'm well, thank you for asking," he said, sounding very much as if he was giving her a stock answer.

She stopped walking, wind blowing her hair in her eyes and he apparently realized after a few more steps she'd stopped.

"What is it?" he asked, turning to face her.

She approached him then, moving to touch his arm with her hand but let it drop back to her side at the last minute.

"How are you really, Sir?"

He shrugged.

"How do you think I am, Granger? I guess at least I have a job. I'll be sure to thank Mr. Potter for that."

"Oh, certainly others…"

"Yes, other institutions are chomping at the bit to employ a former Death Eater who was able to pull off lying to literally everyone for close to two decades."

Her face fell. That couldn't be true! Who wouldn't want someone so obviously dedicated? True, he hadn't been the kindest teacher, but Hermione had learned so much from him in both classes he'd taught. And there had been a reason he wasn't kind! Well, she liked to think so. He certainly hadn't been as abrasive over the summer as she assumed he'd be.

"Certainly people can't hold being a successful spy against you."

"It's unfortunate, but yes, they certainly can."

"But you had no choice."

"Didn't I?"

"Well, no."

"Too bad you're not interviewing for an open position, Apprentice Granger."

She scrunched her nose at that.

"Aside from the job? Are you all right," she said, eyes drifting to his neck where she knew the worst of his wounds had been.

"Healing," he said simply.

"I'm so glad, Sir."

"You helped ensure that I am doing just that, I understand."

She'd never told him how much she'd done during the final battle or while he was in his coma. Madame Pomfrey must have informed him. Hermione wished the healer hadn't. She didn't want him to feel indebted to her in any way. He just finished being indentured to two masters; she didn't want him thinking she was his new one. 

"Not really," she said, blushing. "I certainly didn't do anything no one else wouldn't have done."

"Poppy tells me otherwise and if you noticed, no one else sat with me while I was recuperating."

"It was nothing that you didn't deserve," she said.

They started walking again, making their way into the castle and through the halls to her quarters. The portrait guarding the entrance to them was a rather ancient-looking work, depicting what she presumed was a lion tamer reclining with a few tigers, a lioness, and a lion. His left arm appeared to be holding a lamb to him. She looked closer and realized he was in a cage. She wondered if he was able to leave their portrait despite the cage. Were the animals able to wander?

"Minerva." She heard Professor's Snape soft scoff when he noticed just what exactly it depicted.

"You'll want to set the password, of course, and don't tell anyone. Even your paramour."

"I'll be sure to remember that," she mumbled.

If she ever got one. She didn't see how that would happen, given she was now residing in a castle in the remote Scotland Highlands for the foreseeable future.

She smiled, knowing instantly what her password was going to be whenever she had a moment to set it. Professor Snape mentioning a paramour had planted the idea and she was going to run with it.

"He's a somewhat attractive man, isn't he?" she said, eyeing the lion tamer a little closer. And he was in a rather … pretty way.

"You are too kind, Miss," the tamer said. "Isaac A. Van Amburgh at your service." He bowed his head and offered her a somewhat flirtatious smile.

Professor Snape scoffed again.

"I don't have all day, Granger."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mister Van Amburgh, I'm Hermione Granger."

"And you, Miss Granger. They told me whose quarters I would be guarding and I am up to the task to ensure the brightest witch of her age who helped save the Wizarding world is safe."

"I am humbled, kind sir," she said with a polite curtsey.

"The Headmistress' idea of a joke, do you think?" she asked Professor Snape when they entered her quarters.

"I have no idea what goes through her mind," he said, sounding as amused as she was by it.

Wandlessly and without speaking he brought a fire to life in her fireplace. She set Crooks' carrier down, opening it. He'd come out when he was ready. Likely he was still upset with her about apparating. Snape remained near the short foyer that led from her door to the main room.

"Let me know if you have questions about anything," he said, leaning against the wall.

She couldn't deny being excited. The room Minerva had let her use this summer had been basically just that. A bedroom with an attached bath and a sitting area that was separate so it was it's own room but it was very small. This was nothing like that and it made her wonder if it was a room professors used centuries ago. Or perhaps it was for guests, family members of a student confined to the infirmary or something.

One door opened into a small kitchen. There was a small breakfast bar that could possibly fit three with some crowding. No muggle equipment. Good thing she'd gotten better at cooking with magic the past year.

Just outside the kitchen but connected to the sitting room was a dining area. Four, possibly five, could fit comfortably at the table. There was what her parents' referred to as a buffet cabinet against the wall. She had no idea what the magical term for it was and didn't feel now was the time to ask Professor Snape.

One door opened into what would be her private office or study. There were four bookcases standing empty and she couldn't wait to fill them.

A second door opened into her bedroom with two doors off it, one leading to a to-die-for walk-in closet and the other to a more than suitable bathroom. The four-poster queen-sized bed was very nice as well. There were lion heads on the top of each post and she smiled slightly at that touch of her house affiliation.

"Thank you, Minerva," she said, knowing her former head of house was behind that particular adornment.

She returned to the sitting room. There was a nice mantel around the fireplace where she could put photos and a set of candlesticks that had been in her parents' home. The candlesticks had belonged to her maternal grandmother and were given to her mum when she married her dad. There was a couch and two comfortable looking chairs with an ottoman between them. A coffee table and an end table completed the room's furnishings. Along the walls where there wasn't a door there was a bookcase.

"Hogwarts will accommodate your love of books," he said, sounding fond as he watched her looking around the room.

"And that one?" she asked, glancing at the door behind where he stood. He hadn't moved or said a word until now, letting her explore. She appreciated that actually since this was to be her living space basically ten months of the year.

"I presume it leads to the hallway near the office you'll be sharing with Filius, which of course will lead to your classroom. He will ward it to alert you if someone's at the office door looking for you."

"Oh, I'd wondered about that," she said.

"Hogwarts always provides, Apprentice Granger."

He sounded fond yet bitter at the same time. She realized there were times in his youth that he probably thought Hogwarts did not always provide for him.

Crooks had eased out of the carrier, sniffed at one of Professor Snape's dragon-hide boots, rubbed against the potions professor's leg with the left side of his smooshed face before wandering off to explore.

"And this one," she asked, opening another door that opened into what appeared to be another sitting room. How odd. Why would she need two?

"Minerva gave the three of you apprentices a shared sitting room. She figured you could use it to unwind together or if you had guests you didn't want in your private quarters."

She noticed three other doors in the room. The other two apprentices and the other one must lead to an entrance accessible from the castle hallway.

"That's very nice," she said, closing the door.

"You have an elf assigned to you, her name is Elara, and from my understanding she has willingly and enthusiastically volunteered."

"Oh, I'm sure I won't need…"

"Don't be so hasty to say that. You never know," he said. "You will be busy, trust me. You are also Hermione Granger so I imagine in addition to work here at Hogwarts there will be duties at the Ministry and so forth you'll need to be a part of around your apprenticing schedule. So, there may be mornings or evenings an elf will be most welcome."

"Of course, you're right. I can bring my own food and such," she asked, gesturing to the kitchen area.

"Yes, of course."

"Okay."

"Everything is acceptable?"

"Yes." Did he really think she'd say otherwise?

"There are two other apprentices as I mentioned. Their quarters should be near yours as well."

"Oh, do I know them?"

"Mr. Longbottom for Pomona. The other is not from Hogwarts, for Septima. Oh, and be prepared to be made Head of House for Gryffindor as soon as Minerva believes you are ready to assume that role."

"And you? Are you Head of Slytherin again?"

"I am," he said with a slight bow of his head.

"Okay," she said, storing that information away. Would she even want to be Head of House? She wasn't sure, but deep down she knew she'd accept if Minerva offered it to her.

So, there were three apprentices. She was interested in who would dare apply for an apprenticeship at Hogwarts so soon after the war. Or had the Headmistress been desperate and sought out help? For that matter how had she managed to fill the Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts position so soon after the war? She'd obviously been busy around the reparations that needed to be done on the castle.

"I'll leave you to it then."

"Thank you, Sir."

He paused at the door leading back out to the hallway. She glanced at him curiously. He looked as if he wanted to say something. Had she said something wrong already?

"I'll be going to Diagon Alley tomorrow morning immediately after breakfast. If you clear it with Filius you may accompany me."

"Thank you, Sir, I will check with him."

She spent the time before lunch getting her bedroom together as that would be most important. She made a list of things she'd like to procure for her kitchen and sitting room eventually. A second list of things she knew she had at home that had belonged to her parents she'd like to have here. She presumed Professor Snape wouldn't have the patience to let her shop for things like that tomorrow. Some things she'd want to get from the muggle world. There were some things that she didn't want to live without after starving for months. 

Her portrait's password was set to the Bulgarian word for lioness, which Isaac Van Amburgh seemed to approve of. It seemed appropriate, and she couldn't imagine anyone at Hogwarts knowing Bulgarian or that it was Viktor's nickname for her.

That done she made her way to the Great Hall in time for lunch, smiling when she spotted Neville. She'd seen him a few times over the summer only long enough to say hi or whatever at various trials or here at Hogwarts. (He didn't go near comatose Professor Snape unless someone made him she was pretty sure.)

"Neville!"

"Hermione!" He stood from where he was sitting at the head table and walked to her, hugging her tightly.

"I was so glad when Professor Snape told me there was someone else here I know," she said softly.

"Me, too!"

She took the seat next to him and her plate filled. She was hungrier than she'd realized, having skipped breakfast that morning in her excitement.

"This is Professor Einar Bergman. He's from Norway," Neville said to Hermione, gesturing to the man seated to the other side of Neville. "This is Apprentice Hermione Granger."

"What are you teaching, Professor Bergman?" Hermione asked politely, noticing Professor Snape taking the vacant seat to her other side.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts," he said.

"Oh, lovely," she said, wondering how Professor Snape felt about the DADA position going to someone else.

"Neville says he's apprenticing in Herbology. And you, Miss Granger?"

"Charms," she offered.

"And Professor Snape is Potions, correct?"

"Correct," she said, offering him a smile. She turned to look at Professor Snape. "Hello," she said.

"Apprentice Granger," he said. "Were you able to get some things settled?"

"Yes, thank you. I will be able to bathe and sleep properly tonight at any rate. I'm sure Crookshanks is enjoying being back. He loves being able to roam the castle."

"Yes, he has found his way into my quarters already."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Sir."

"I'm used to it," he drawled. He didn't seem upset or anything. How often did Crookshanks visit him, she wondered?

She frowned slightly at that, turning her attention to her lunch so she could finish and get back to her rooms. The sooner she was done unpacking the sooner she could relax, and finish her list of anything she needed.

She walked back up to her room with Neville and Professor Bergman. He seemed interested in seeing additional parts of the castle.

"This is me," she said in front of the lion tamer's portrait.

"See you at dinner then, ‘mione," Neville said.

"Please don't, Neville."

"Right, sorry, habit," he said, blushing.

"I know. It's just I really hate that nickname and I'd rather start the year without it."

"Got it."

"More exploring then, Professor Bergman?" Hermione asked.

"Ja," he said with a nod of his strawberry blonde hair. He was tall, she noticed as he was walking with them. She guessed he may have even been as tall as, if not taller, than Professor Snape. He appeared to be fairly young, too. A little older than her perhaps? Not much, though.

"See you at dinner then?"

"Ja, kveldsmat," he said with a nod as he wandered off.

She whispered her password with a cheeky grin, which Mr. Van Amburgh seemed to return in kind.

"May I call you Isaac, Mr. Van Amburgh?"

"It would be my pleasure if you did."

"Thank you, and please call me Hermione."

"As you wish."

"Where were you before?"

He shook his head and shrugged. "I'm not sure exactly, somewhere dark. I was selected for you," he said, standing tall as if he was proud of that fact. "Your quarters were quite the coveted spot to those of us in unused rooms."

"Of course you were," she said, smiling brightly at that thought.

The Headmistress must have an inventory of all the things in the castle. Otherwise, how would she know about this particular painting as it looked quite old.

"I'm glad that's the case and I think we will have a great time together as long as you don't try to tame Crookshanks."

"The half Kneazle is off limits," he said with an agreeable nod, crossing his arms in front of him. The sides of his hair moved with the nod.

She dashed into her room after watching where Neville's rooms were.

More were there for dinner, but again Hermione sat in between Professor Snape and Neville with Professor Bergman beside him. She assumed once school actually started she, Neville, and the other apprentice would be at the end of the table but for now it seemed rather casual. She did get permission from Filius to go to Diagon Alley the next morning during their meeting earlier.

"You are an adult and no longer a student, Hermione. You do not have to ask permission, but I appreciate that you did. Once students arrive your free-time will not be very frequent and I expect you to take the time to enjoy yourself when the ability arises. Like Severus, you deserve it, too."

"Oh, please don't compare me to Professor Snape. I did nothing nearly as important."

"You most certainly did, and I appreciate your humbleness. It's okay to accept that you played a key role into Voldemort's defeat also. I would say Miss Lovegood and Mr. Ollivander feel more indebted to you than Severus. I'm sure Griphook would have too had he had the chance to think further on your trustworthiness."

"I guess you're right. Thank you, Filius."

She and Neville were in their shared sitting room having some tea and discussing today's Daily Prophet before heading to their rooms for the night.

"Harry's going to start wishing he didn't give you his cloak this year," Neville said. This was in response to a play-by-play of everything Harry had done the previous weekend.

Hermione giggled softly. She had the map, too, not that she expected to need either but Harry wanted her to have them "just in case".

"Is it okay if I join you?"

"Of course," Hermione said. "I'm Hermione Granger. Charms apprentice. This is Neville Longbottom, Herbology apprentice."

"I'm Kenny Wright," a tall and pretty well-built wizard of color with at least two tattoos said. "Arithmancy."

"American?" Hermione asked.

"What gave it away," he said and she smiled widely. "The accent?"

"Nice to meet you," Neville said.

"Would you like some tea?" Hermione offered. "Or I could probably talk Elara into finding us something stronger."

They shared a couple bottles of wine while they talked well past midnight. Kenny was from Chicago they learned. Like Hermione, he was muggleborn. His dad was actually grateful to find out he was a wizard as the middle and high schools that he would have gone to weren't safe these days. She suspected there was a story, or stories, there but as she and Neville had their own both seemed to understand they shouldn't pry any more than they'd want people prying into their past few years.

It was nice to get to know him, and even better that he didn't seem to have any preconceived notions of who Hermione was. That scared her a little bit when Professor Snape had said there was going to be an apprentice here that she hadn't gone to school with.

Return to Top

Part 2

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com