TITLE: Losin' All Your Highs and Lows
AUTHOR: Susan / apckrfan
E-MAIL
DISTRIBUTION: My site, AO3, FFnet, LJ.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own any characters. They are owned by JK Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Brothers, etc. No profit is made from this fic.
RATING: FRM
SPOILERS: General, but canon divergent (EWE, Snape Lives)
SUMMARY: Seven years after leaving the wizarding world behind, Severus Snape is living a rather solitary and simple, but nonetheless pleasing life as an Unspeakable near a mining village. He starts helping the people who assume because of where he lives and him wearing black robes with a high collar that he's a preacher.
CHARACTERS/PAIRING: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape
DATE STARTED: October 2023
STATUS: Complete
WORD COUNT: 12,200 +/-
FEEDBACK: Please, I can't write better without it.
NOTES: This idea came to me seeing this picture (those on FFnet will have to go to this story on AO3 to see it). It made me think of a Pale Rider type scenario, but with Severus. I borrowed the idea of Severus' actual job from the show Warehouse 13 .
NOTES 2: I started this while I was out of town dealing with my sister's stuff. As you can maybe tell by the scene breaks, my intention was to make this a longer piece. After reading through it tonight, I decided while there is certainly more I could do, I'm going to end it here.


March 2005

Severus felt his alerting spell go off and gave a soft huff. He wasn't in the middle of anything important, tending to his garden. The one the other villagers could see. Things were starting to thaw, so he had things to see after. He finished the row he was working on before standing slowly. This section was the tomato plants. He was really just ensuring he didn't have to replace any of the stakes. He ran a hand along the small of his back with another huff before moving to adjust his robe's collar and then glancing at his wristwatch.

He lifted his arm a bit, waving to his trespassers.

They weren't really that.

He knew exactly who they were. They were here regularly at this time. Like clockwork.

"Preacher!"

He scowled with a mumble, hating the title. It was how he got away with wearing his robes, though. Muggle shirts did not offer him the protection around his neck he preferred.

"Hello, boys," he said.

"Here's your wagon," Sully said.

"Well, I just finished yours," he said, gesturing to the wagon in question. It was full of enough wood, milk, eggs, and some vegetables to get them through a couple of days. Both wagons were his. He actually had four. He always kept one back, so that these boys could just grab the wagon and go back to their house.

"Da says that Ma's fixing to give birth any day now," Cal said.

"I assume that's true. Tell your father I have my bag ready," he said.

"Thank you, Preacher."

He set a hand over first Cal's and then Sully's head. "You help your mother, boys."

"Yes, Sir."

He knew they did, their mum had been the one pulling the wagon up until about a month ago. Life wasn't easy up here. There was no such thing as bedrest for a pregnant woman. Not really.

They took hold of the creaking wagon then, pulling it behind them in the direction of their home.

His other wagon they'd brought back with them got brought into the barn where he cast a quick cleansing spell over it so that it was free of anything that would attract pests. That done, he went to work readying the next family's items for the day on it.

It was around nine o'clock in the morning when everyone who needed wood, milk, eggs, and the other items available to them from him were tended to. All of the animals had been cared for before the sun rose. The children were all at the one-room schoolhouse the small village offered. The parents were cleaning up from breakfast, or out trying to find gold. That meant he could finally take some time for himself.

He'd get some help with the animals once the students were done with their schooling. He always set impenetrable wards when he woke up mornings. He could get the animals cared for much faster with magic, and took advantage of that ability since he was just one man.

No one else knew, and it gave him a reason to seem tired and cranky with people most of the time if they thought he'd been up since three o'clock in the morning milking dairy cows and goats, and feeding the others.

Almost five years ago when he'd left the magical world behind him to find himself. At least that was what the wizarding world had been told.

He was a lone Unspeakable at what was essentially a library of the Dark Arts texts and items that had been recovered after the second war. The Minister for Magic wanted them in one place, guarded by one person who wouldn't forget the importance of keeping them properly hidden.

How the villagers survived prior to his arrival, he wasn't sure, because they had no way to sustain themselves. They bought everything from the nearby town. Never mind that taking the time to get there and back made them miss out on work. They had to go during the day, too, when it was light out. That meant that they couldn't send the older kids.

For whatever reason, their kindness in offering him tea and food that they didn't have extra of was most likely why he decided to assist them. To stay and help them become more self-sustaining. It also offered him a cover. A reason for being here when he might be questioned otherwise. (Not that he had yet to encounter someone magical around here.)

Honestly, the idea of living off the grid for a while had been welcome when the offer was made to him. He had to live somewhere . People had to know and recognize him, not as someone they saw once in a blue moon. The Daily Prophet was never going to let him just live his life. He'd lived decently for about a year after the war.

And then he'd gotten a … girlfriend. Such a ridiculous title at his age, but it was what it was.

And it was a setup. She was paid to collect information on him.

He'd left then, grateful he hadn't embarrassed himself too severely by confessing anything to her that would have bitten him in the arse later. His inability to trust people was a good thing in that case.

Draco had let him take one of his horses, and away Severus went.

That was what everyone believed anyway.

The girlfriend had been part of the minister's plan to get him away from Wizarding Britain without people wondering where he'd gone to. Or why.

He'd taken possession of the small church in the village. In part because it offered him privacy since it was a bit separated from the village homes. And, because of his robes and his collar, they thought he was a preacher.

Here he was. Offering the villagers all sorts of assistance. By helping them, he was helping himself.

Living off the land. Teaching others how to do that. Being magical, he was used to no electricity, so it wasn't difficult to do without. And, living out here, owls being in the area weren't unusual.

Men, women, and children came to him for guidance: spiritual and otherwise. The children had come first. Curious. No doubt knowing there was more to life than this way of living it.

About a month in, two families had shown up on Sunday morning for services. Severus had no idea what to do. So he talked with the parents. Listened. Offered words of wisdom as he could.

For the first time in his life, he had … friends. He still didn't trust easily, but simple, everyday conversation didn't always have to involve trust and revealing personal bits.

Now that the weather was turning nicer, they had bonfires every clement evening in the center of the village. This was something he'd encouraged, knowing some nights when he brought hot dogs or hamburgers with him that it was the only real meal some had that day. They were proud people, who didn't like handouts or to ask for help.

He always claimed this or that family helped him, so they all thought day to day they were helping one another.

Most everyone brought a chair, their beverage of choice, and stories to tell. Severus, of course, had few stories he could actually tell these people. With his throat's scarring, he didn't talk so well anyway, so he was usually forgiven.

Children like Cal and Sully weren't scared to venture down to the church property. They looked forward to it. They helped him. Like with all children, some required more coaching than others. Some were relegated to mucking out the animal stalls. Some were able to collect eggs. Some could milk the dairy cows and goats.

He wasn't someone people feared or loathed. Or gossiped about. (Though the adults of the camp likely did privately, wondering where he came from.) It was … heady. Healing. For the first time in his life he didn't have to defend himself from the moment he opened his eyes each morning.

And he was learning that even dunderheads had something to contribute.

Inside, he made his way to his kitchen, starting his lunch while he opened his journal. He kept track of things that he did in it, so that if he left, they could sustain their way of living. He had no idea if he'd stay indefinitely, but wanted them to live well even without him.

He had a second journal where he kept track of his magical tasks. What he planted, when. Any wards or spells cast on the property and what not he'd have to remember to remove at the end of his stay.

A third journal was at the library, which had been built off a cave about two miles, as an owl flew, from his home. He'd argued staunchly for the ability to live off-site. That journal contained every item that had been inventoried and why it had been brought to him. This was so that one hundred years from now, a dunderhead wouldn't let loose the soul of a banshee because they inadvertently uncorked the jug it was contained in, thinking it was an empty jug.

Time to get on with lunch and probably a bit of a rest or reading before he went back outside.

He glanced at the doctor's bag that he had placed next to the door days ago now in preparation of Polly going into labor. He knew her due date was quickly approaching. He'd never delivered a baby the muggle way before living here. This would be his sixth. Pictures of the first five were on the back of a door in his barn. A sixth picture would, no doubt, join it very soon. The first five had been relatively easy deliveries with all babies surviving, and healthy to this point. Listening to the villagers talk, he was good at listening after all. Babies - and mothers - surviving childbirth in this village wasn't always a given.

He shook his head, setting his pen down. The words in the journal made him think of his teaching days, wondering if anyone would believe he was doing these things. Helping people. Caring for them. He had decided to take on enough animals to supply the entire village. He didn't have to do that.

He didn't believe he was doing it, so had to believe others wouldn't either.

"Lunch," he said, closing the journal so that he could get on with his day.

*****

It was after midnight when he heard the echoes of an ear-piercing scream. It was extremely quiet here, so it carried the distance between the screamer and Severus' home. He knew, without Cal or Sully coming to get him, what it meant. Only five prior births under his belt or not, there was nothing he'd heard like the screams of those mothers in labor. He got out of bed, putting on clean trousers and a plain white button-up shirt before sliding into his robes and fastening his collar around his neck.

He slid into his boots once by the door. Not his dragon-hide ones, unfortunately. These were outdoor boots. Some around here wore cowboy boots, but he hadn't been able to buy a pair yet. While he rode a horse, even owned two (he'd returned Draco's to him by now so they were his), he was still a hiking boot person.

Just as he was buttoning the house up in preparation to be gone for hours, a knock at his door came.

"Come in," he beckoned.

It was Cal.

"Hello, Master Leighton," he said.

"Uh, yeah, hi, Da said…"

"Yes," Severus said with a nod.

Cal was about thirteen with Sully about eight. There were a couple of attempts after Sully that hadn't survived. Severus liked to think he had something to do with this current baby making it this far. He'd been able to ensure she got prenatal vitamins. He made sure she had proper food to eat for a woman expecting. He encouraged her sons to help their mother with any lifting and such they could.

He grabbed his doctor's bag then and gestured with his hand for Cal to go outside.

"When did she go into labor?"

"Um," he said.

"It's okay. How are you and Sully holding up?"

"She sounds so angry, Preacher."

Severus chuckled softly.

"Yeah, she likely is a little angry. It's not something we, as gentlemen, will ever understand. Just think of the strength it takes for your mom, and all of the moms in the world, to go through what they do to ensure the human race continues."

He supposed the boy was a little young to recall what happened when his brother was born. He set his hand on the top of the young man's head as they walked the rest of the way to their small abode.

He put the boys and their father, Hurley, to work getting clean towels, sheets, and some ice chips for their mum, and wife.

"Hurley?" he called out about an hour later.

"Yes, Preacher?"

"Did Dr. Rubin say anything about the baby not being head down?"

"No, Sir."

Severus frowned.

"All right. Leave me, please. I need her quiet and able to focus on my instructions."

"Polly," he said after Hurley left.

"It hurts, Preacher," she whimpered. "Worse than Cal and Sully did."

"I know it does." He adjusted the cloth that was resting against her forehead in an attempt to keep her cool. "I'm not a doctor. You know that."

"I do," she said.

Dr. Rubin was the general practitioner that the small town the villagers went to for supplies employed. From what Severus could ascertain, he was barely competent.

"I think your baby is breech. Do you know what that means?"

"Uh uh," she said.

"Well, I presume anyway when Cal and Sully were born their heads were down here," he said, gesturing.

She nodded. She knew what he was stating. Good.

"This one isn't positioned that way."

"That's why it hurts so bad?"

"Yes."

"Can you fix it?"

"I would feel better if I could get Dr. Rubin."

"He'll never come up here."

Severus knew it. The doctor in the town nearby didn't … like … these patients, and he did the bare minimum where they were concerned. Again, he seemed competent, but the fact that he hung his shingle in a village that few would judge him for doing the minimum. Certainly not many in this area would think to file a malpractice suit against him. Severus assumed there was a reason for that.

"All right. Close your eyes, take even breaths, and I'm going to see what I can figure out. Okay?"

"Uh huh," she said.

He smiled a little at her monosyllabic answers, unable to blame her. He'd meant what he said to Cal earlier. He never realized how … traumatic … the childbirth process was. He'd never had reason to be around a pregnant woman very much let alone seeing to their medical needs and delivering their children.

With his watch, as he ran diagnostics on her, he was able to gauge that her contractions were still nearly twenty minutes apart. That could be plenty of time, but given this wasn't her first child. Well, that might not be.

He was not equipped to deliver a breech baby. He did not want to be the reason that she lost another child.

He knew a doctor.

He knew an obstetrician, in fact. At least he thought that was what she was doing. Someone he knew he could get to and get her back here quickly, assuming she was willing to come back with him.

She would be.

She wouldn't risk a child's life. Or a mom's.

He summoned a potion out of his bag, pouring a dose into a spoon.

"Here, Madam Polly, I'm going to give you this. It will slow your body down a bit. I'm going to go get some help."

She clutched onto his forearm, swallowing the potion he gave to her.

"Don't leave."

"I want to give you and your child the best chance. I'm not it. I will be back. I promise."

She bit her lower lip. Despite it being March not August she was drenched in sweat. Her water had not broken yet. So that was a good sign.

He stood then, and returned to the main room where the father and sons were..

"I will be back. Keep up with the cool towel on her forehead and stay with her."

"Where are you going, Preacher?" Hurley asked.

"To try to get her help, Hurley."

The other man's eyes depicted pain in a way Severus hadn't seen in a long time. Since Narcissa lost a child after Draco. A man helpless to stop or ease his woman's pain.

He untethered his horse from in front of their home and headed down the path that would take him to town.

About two miles away he went off the path, tying Chestnut off. "I will be back," he said, rubbing his hand along his trusted horse's nose.

From there he apparated, focusing on an area he never thought he'd have reason to return to again.

He landed where he planned to, making his way through a park he swore he'd never have need to be in once more, and to the doorstep of the home only magical people could see, ringing the bell almost immediately. He had no idea if she still resided here, but knew that Harry Potter would know where she was if she didn't.

He rang the bell again when no one answered.

Technically, he supposed, he could just go in. He was sure the wards would still accept him, but that would be rude. Two more minutes…

Just as he thought that, he heard the door start to open.

"Severus?" Ginevra Potter said.

"I apologize for calling unexpectedly at such an hour, Mrs. Potter."

"My parents?"

"Are, I presume fine. I'm looking for Dr. Granger."

"Hermione?"

"Yes."

"Sure. Won't you come in?"

"She's here?"

"She is, but I have to get her. She's down in your old lab actually."

"I will go," he said, making his way quickly in that direction. He knew the way.

"Did I wake you, Gin? I'm sorry if I did, I just couldn't sleep…"

"It's not Ginevra," he said.

She spun on her heel and offered him a smile. A genuine one. She was one of the few he would tolerate as he was healing. He'd never forgiven himself for the look of … pain he'd seen in her eyes when word of a girlfriend started spreading. He thought it best, though. At the time he'd believed he didn't deserve someone like her. Now, well, he wondered if it wasn't fate that brought him here tonight. Bringing them together again. He certainly knew of no other obstetricians.

"Severus," she said.

"Doctor."

"Oh," she said, waving her hand. "Friends still call me Hermione."

He was incredibly relieved to hear her say that. He had thought they'd become friends.

"I need your help," he said.

"Okay," she said. "Well, then let's put some tea on and we can talk about it…"

"No, like right now, there's a breech baby. So, grab your go bag and we need to go."

"Severus?"

"I will explain later."

She huffed, staring at him intently. He let her look, let her see whatever it was she was looking for to decide whether to go with him or not.

"Fine. Do I have time to change?"

He glanced at his watch. He nodded, because it would look odd if he returned too quickly anyway with someone obviously not from the nearby town. Everyone knew he had a pickup truck, so it wouldn't be too strange, but just the same. A few more minutes would go toward him not being a wizard and apparating to and from their village. So, yes, she could take the time to change.

"And ensure my bag has what I'll need for such a difficult delivery?"

He nodded.

She ascended the stairs. He stayed in the basement to clean up and put the few things she was working on in stasis. He smirked, suspecting she left things this way knowing he would. When he returned to the main level again, after a glance at his watch telling him they really needed to get going soon, she was there, looking ready to go. The last thing she did was summon her bag to her once she put a cloak on appropriate for going out at night when it was still cool.

"I'll be back, Gin," she said.

"Again, Mrs. Potter, I apologize for the late hour."

"No problem at all, Professor. I assume it must be important if you're taking her with you."

"It is."

He'd only been gone about ninety minutes. He could only hope it wasn't too long.

"This is Chestnut," he said when he returned to the spot he'd left his horse.

"Um," she said, grazing the horse's ear. "Hello, Chestnut. I'm not a veterinarian, Severus, and she doesn't seem distressed as if she's in labor."

"I'm aware," he said. "She is not your patient."

He got on the horse and then offered her a hand so that she could get on behind him. He had practice doing this with the older kids in the village, otherwise he would have had to let her get on first.

And then they were off back to the village.

"Oh my God," she said when an ear piercing scream came almost as soon as their feet were back on the ground in front of the small home. Home was overselling it. The homes were little more than cabins.

"That's why you're here," he said. "As I said, she's breech."

"Severus?"

He led her into the house and the small room where Polly was having such a hard time delivering this baby.

"Who's this?" Hurley asked.

"She's an obstetrician," Severus said.

"We can't afford that, Severus."

"I know. We will work out something with Doctor Granger. First, let's worry about your wife and child."

She put him to work, as he hoped she would, once Hurley left the room.

"Keep her focus on you, I'm going to try to turn the baby."

"Yes."

That was part of his problem. He couldn't use magic alone. There was the chance she'd notice he was doing something muggles didn't normally do.

"You know Cal brought his math homework to me the other day," Severus said, hoping to distract the woman with conversation. As if he knew what else to say.

"He's not supposed to bother you, Preacher."

He noticed Hermione's eyes snap up to meet his, clearly questioning the title the woman addressed him by. She didn't miss a beat, though, with what she was doing.

"He's never a bother. None of the kids are."

"I'd believe him, Polly. He was my professor in secondary school. So, trust me, if Severus is telling you your kids aren't a bother, he means it."

"Thank you, Dr. Granger," Severus said with a bit of a scowl. He hoped he didn't truly look mad.

She gave him a cheeky grin before returning all of her focus on the baby. Clearly, he didn't truly look mad then. That was good. That would be just his luck, pissing off the person he'd enlisted to assist him in this.

A person who, now that she was here, he wondered what he could do to convince her to stay. Not to go back. 

Hours they were in there.

Ultimately, Polly delivered a happy and healthy girl. Severus dealt with the newborn afterbirth care while Hermione worked on the mother. This was not a normal delivery. He should have been better prepared for such an end. He was lucky Polly had seen Dr. Rubin at all. In fact, he had no idea whether she had seen the doctor the last month or so, to know the baby was breech.

Eventually, Polly was able to lay down on a clean bed with her daughter ready for nourishment.

"Thank you, Preacher. Doctor."

"You're welcome, Polly. I'm glad that I was home when Severus came to get me."

They closed the door behind them so that mother and daughter could be alone.

Cal and Sully looked like they weren't too sure.

"She's really okay?"

"She is. Both of them are," Hermione said.

Both boys wrapped their arms around first Hermione and then Severus.

"Thank you, Preacher. Doctor."

"You're welcome," she said.

They talked to Hurley for a bit. Hermione gave him a rundown of what to look for as far as infection or anything. No doubt the man had heard it before, but it had been a while since Sully was born.

He untethered Chestnut from the hitching post in front of the house and helped Hermione up on her again. The first time she sat behind him, he had been so determined to get back that he hadn't stopped to notice how nice she felt against him.

And that there was no ring on her left finger.

And that she was at Grimmauld Place, seemingly alone. She hadn't told Ginevra Potter to tell anyone she was leaving or anything. And she had yet to correct him addressing her as Dr. Granger.

"It's beautiful," she said, her cheek against his shoulder so she really only had to whisper in his ear for him to hear her.

"You haven't seen anything yet," he whispered.

The night's sky didn't do the village's surroundings justice. He didn't offer to take her back to the Potters' home, and she didn't make the request. He didn't know much about breech deliveries, but he knew, with as little as Hermione had available to her, that Polly wasn't out of the woods yet. No respecting doctor would leave their patient, knowing complications could arise.



He got Chestnut settled a little less thoroughly than he normally might have. She'd forgive him tomorrow.

He saw when she noticed the cross on the building that served as the village's church. It was used for a great many things: worship, potlucks, bible study, a community center where the children could come and play games or what not on the nights it was too cold to be outside but their houses were too claustrophobic.

Severus knew the feeling well.

"You are oddly quiet," he offered, closing and warding the barn door once he was confident he was done in here for the night.

Night.

It was dawn.

In fact. If he was smart…

"Want to help me tend to them," he said, gesturing to the various livestock. Really, the cows and goats needed milking. The rest. Well, there was nothing super pressing today.

"You're really putting me to work."

"Go on inside if you'd like to get warm. It's muggle, but I'm sure you can figure out how to get the fire going just the same. It won't take me long. This time of day, I don't have to be as cautious."

"Ah," she said with a knowing nod. "I was teasing, Severus, of course I can help."

They set about taking care of the cows and goats. He glanced at his wristwatch when they finished with that, and it was closing in on six o'clock in the morning.

He sighed, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand as he regarded the witch. She hadn't balked or wagered one complaint this evening.

This night.

It wasn't evening when he'd gone to get her.

"Thank you," he said finally.

"You're welcome."

"I don't know about you, but a warm shower, something to eat, and some sleep all sound fantastic."

She offered him a smile and a nod. "I concur."

"I warn you, I only have one bed. I, as it happened, just washed the bedding yesterday so it is clean. I am not outfitted for company."

"Some saying that would bother me," she said.

"I don't."

"No," she said.

He nodded simply, pleased to hear it. He wasn't sure. It'd been a while since they'd actually spoken beyond surface conversation.

He led her inside then. He could see her taking everything in (not that there was that much) as he led her to the kitchen.

"How long have you been here?"

"Almost five years," he said with a shrug.

He put some tea on before heading to the other side of the cabin. It was small. He had a kitchen, a living room, a bedroom, and a bathroom. All were built around the center wall, where the fireplace was. So in essence, it was one large room, with a wall in the center so there was a heat source throughout the whole room. He found clean towels and set them in the bathroom for her.

"If you want to shower first, I'll make breakfast."

"Oh, well, that's not fair."

"You did me a favor. Allow me to return your kindness by making you breakfast."

"Yeah, sure," she said.

"Besides, I think you need it more than I do."

She seemed to only now glance at herself, and realize that while she'd cleaned herself off after delivering the baby and all that came with that process, she wasn't clean. Add to that the work they'd done with the animals.

She nodded then.

"Thank you, then."

He set about fixing them something to eat that going to sleep soon after wouldn't make their guts ache. Eggs with some toast, bacon, and potatoes sounded about right.

"This is delicious," she said. She wore something she must have had in her go bag, because it wasn't what she'd been wearing earlier.

"The eggs and bacon are from here," he said. "Same as the milk as well as the onions and peppers I used in the potatoes."

"Impressive."

"I'm trying to teach them how to be more self-sufficient. They don't make a lot of money, as you can probably guess."

"I surmised."

"When I got here, they bought everything from the mercantile in town. Wasteful."

"I agree," she said, nodding. He still provided most of these things, but a couple other households have taken guidance from him and started their own garden or gotten their own cow for milking.

"Thank you for coming without question."

"Most people I'd question. You, not so much."

"Why?"

"You are the least excitable man that I know."

He sniggered softly. She wasn't wrong.

"So who's helping you?"

"Well, for now, until I decide I've had enough, I'm working with the older kids first."

"Why?"

"Talking with and listening to most of them, they do not care to follow in their parents' footsteps. So, I'm trying to teach them skills. Which I'm sure sounds like crazy talk to you, coming from me."

She reached over then; settling a hand over his. She squeezed gently. "Nonsense. I told you this before. You were strict. You weren't the worst teacher I've had. You wanted students to learn but were teaching a subject that they just didn't take as seriously as you'd prefer."

"True."

 "So the kids?"

"Yes. Those who truly want to get the hell out of here are quite … moldable. I have also suggested that they assist their mothers in the housekeeping duties. One never knows where they'll find a job. Any skills can be helpful."

She looked surprised.

After finishing breakfast, he made a sign to put out by his wagons while she saw to the dishes. He assured her that magic could be done in his cabin.

"I will be back shortly."

She glanced at the sign.

"I usually provide milk, eggs, and firewood for the families that need it. I'm just telling them I'll deliver later and to let their parents know to expect me. Most should be fine for today anyway."

She smirked a bit but said nothing. He slid his boots back on and made his way to the wagons, using a quick sticking spell so it would hang on one of the boards.

He glanced at his watch. Shower. Bed. He was ready. It had been a long night.

And he hadn't done the hard part. He'd have to ask her what he could've done himself later. The next time, if there was one, she might not be there to assist.

He closed the door once he got back inside, stomping his feet a bit. It wasn't that cold. There was no heat in the cabin, though, and while not January, it was still cold.

He bolted the door, casting the wards that would close them in safely for the next few hours.

She'd started a good fire, and Merlin love her, she put warming stones under the top sheet and blanket covering the bed so it wouldn't be freezing when they got in.

"Thank you," he said.

She spun on her heel. He'd clearly caught her off guard.

"For?"

"The fire. The warming stones."

"Well they were on the hearth," she said.

He knew. He didn't use them the majority of the time, but they were nice to have. And, if anyone ever came into his home here, it'd be suspicious if he didn't have them. Not that he'd had anyone in here until now.

"It's a nice setup having your bed right there," she said.

"To put it politely," he said.

"It really is, though. I haven't seen any other cabins, but having the fireplace in the center of the cabin and everything else around it makes sense."

He paused, regarding her. She was sincere. She wasn't poking fun at him.

"I agree. They're not all like this. I suspect because it was meant for a person of … stature."

"The preacher?"

"Yes."

"Why do they call you that?"

He pointed at his neck. The collar there, which he took off then, setting it aside.

"Ah," she said with a nod.

"Not preacher material then?" he asked, unbuttoning his robes.

She tilted her head a little, regarding him. She closed the distance between them, reaching for the button just above chest level. He guessed she wanted to unbutton his robes then.

"Oh, I don't know, listening to you talk about working with the village kids so that they can have a chance at getting out," she gave him a slight smile and he realized she was blushing. "Some might say you're an answer to their prayers."

"Hmm," he mumbled.

Merlin, he'd never had someone touch him like this.

Ever.

Mediwitches didn't count. He had no business … reacting to both her touching him and the very idea of her touching him. Willingly. During his convalescence, he'd contemplated asking her on a date. He'd chickened out every time because she'd talk about Harry or Ronald or Neville. And university.

She needed to pass her NEWTs. She needed to go to university undistracted. Hermione Granger would make a difference. In whose world, he hadn't known back in 1998, only that he knew she would.

He would only be a distraction. A weight. And then Kingsley made his offer, and here he was.

Eventually, between her fingers (which seemed to shake a time or two, seemingly unnecessarily by his mind) and his magic, his robes were removed and he took his leave to shower.

And hopefully calm his body down.

*****

She drew the covers back when he got to the side of the bed.

He let out a barely audible groan at the feel of the sheets.

"Warming charm?" he asked. He knew the answer, but the need to say something pressed on him.

"Yeah."

"Much better than warming stones," he said. "I'm honestly so exhausted most days that I don't even think to do magic."

She turned onto her side then, a hand resting at his abdomen. He tried not to react, thought he succeeded. And then she did the oddest thing.

She set her head against his shoulder.

"Thank you for coming to get me, Severus," she murmured.

"Mm," he said, trying not to focus on the feel of her pressing against him. Remembering how nice she'd felt behind him on Chestnut earlier. "You were the first one I thought of."

She lifted her head a bit, kissing his cheek.

"Good night, Severus."

"Good night, Hermione," he murmured.

Pleasantly surprised she did not move from her spot against him.

More pleasantly surprised when he woke an hour or so later to feel her hand brushing along his shaft, inside his sleeping pants.

"Hi," she whispered.

"What gave me away?"

"Your breathing," she whispered.

"Ah," he said. "And hi."

"Is this okay," she said.

"It is. So long as you know I'm not returning to London."

She vanished his clothes while he vanished hers, allowing her to straddle him. She reached behind her for his length and he gave a gasp. She slid down a bit, causing them both to gasp when the tip of him met her entrance.

Her mouth closed over his, muting her moan as she took him inside of her. He slid a hand to her cheek to deepen the kiss as he thrust into her as much as the position allowed. Eventually, she sat up so that he could touch her. And she could touch him. See him. She leaned down, kissing the line of scars before finding his ear.

"Finish for me, Severus," she whispered as she clenched around him.

Well, he didn't last much longer.

"I'd come here for that," she murmured a few minutes later.

He laughed, unfortunately resulting in dislodging him from being joined with her.

"Would you?"

"Mm," she murmured, kissing his chest before moving beside him.

He summoned an extra blanket, covering them with it as he ensured the fire was still sufficient.

He cast a cleansing spell on them both before he finally settled back to lay down beside her.

"Thanks," she whispered.

"For?" he said, voice sounded gruffer than he meant it to.

"The extra blanket. The cleansing spell."

"Oh," he said.

"Set an alarm for a few hours? I should really go back and check in on Polly."

"Yes," he said, doing just that.

They shifted, more than once, adjusting to sleeping with one another. He fell asleep behind her, his hand possessively palming her thigh. He woke to her behind him, cheek pressed against his shoulder, and hand under his arm resting against his chest.

She'd mentioned last night that she'd come here for sex.

He'd have her come here for this.

He'd never slept with a woman before. He couldn't risk saying something he shouldn't in his sleep. Said to the wrong person, that could have been deadly.

"Morning," she murmured, kissing his shoulder blade.

"Morning," he murmured in return. "Sleep well?"

"Not long enough," she said, sounding as if she was pouting yet not upset. How she could manage that he wasn't sure.

"I hear that," he said, clearing his throat. He glanced at the clock on the wall. They'd been asleep just under four hours. He'd set the alarm for four hours.

"I can drop you at Polly's before I make my deliveries."

"Oh, yeah."

He snorted. "Did you think I was going to make you walk?"

"Well, no," she shrugged. She moved to sit up from the bed, but he grabbed her by the waist.

"You can assist me with this problem I have at the moment first."

"Oh?"

She seemed to understand what he was referring to. She assisted him with that issue very well.

*****

Polly and baby were fine.

Milk, eggs, firewood, and such were delivered where they were needed. Hermione helped him with the animals, all got a little extra attention since he'd been somewhat neglectful that morning.

"So," she said when they were drinking tea in front of the fire, seated with their backs against his bed.

"Yes?"

"I'm learning as I go." He shrugged, realizing she was prompting him to talk. "You told me when I was in St. Mungo's that you didn't think I was a bad teacher."

"I still think that."

"I'm beginning to believe you."

She tilted her head, glancing up at him. "Really?"

"Yes. It's different. Even the Sunday services. I went to mass with Mum every week, but here it's less about religion and God and more about morality. This isn't a classroom, but I know what it's like to want to get out of where you are but knowing that you likely won't be able to. If it wasn't for magic," he shrugged. "Well, I guess I fucked up anyway."

She reached for his wrist, squeezing it. "You didn't fuck up. You made mistakes. Foolish ones, yes, but you didn't murder anyone, Severus Snape."

"Thank you."

"I'm glad you are enjoying it. Maybe there's something you could teach that's less academic?"

"I don't know."

"I was just thinking out loud really."

"Mm."

*****

He was running late the following morning. A new thing for him. He'd never had a … distraction before today to worry about his schedule not being adhered to.

So it was that he was coming out of the chicken coop with the required eggs for the day that he saw Miss Fallon about to knock on the door to his home. She obviously hadn't heard him in the chicken coop. Not surprising, since it was on the other side of the barn.

He gently set the basket of eggs down with a soft sigh before heading in the direction of his abode. He glanced at his wristwatch, realizing only now that he wasn't as late as he thought, given Miss Fallon's appearance.

He sucked in a breath at the view of Hermione he got, standing in the cabin's doorway dressed in only the blanket from the bed. Even from his vantage point she looked as if they'd done exactly what they had the night before.

And again this morning before he got up.

Though he wasn't entirely certain she'd recall that joining. She'd said yes, but she hadn't been nearly as responsive as the night before. He swallowed as he approached, spotting her clenching and unclenching her toes.

"Severus," Hermione said, looking relieved to see him.

"Good morning, Miss Fallon," he said with a polite bow. "I was just getting your things together. Would you care to join me?"

"Um," she said. Severus glanced from her to Hermione and back to Miss Fallon. She looked … angry, but that wasn't the right word. He shook his head. He had no time for female turmoil today.

"How long until you'll be up for breakfast, Severus?" Hermione asked him.

He arched an eyebrow at her.

"To make you breakfast."

"Oh. Hmm," he said, glancing at his watch again. "About thirty minutes?"

"Perfect," she said.

"Let's let Doctor Granger get back inside where it's warm, shall we?" he said, prompting Miss Fallon to follow him back to the area where the wagons were.

"Who's she?"

"She's a doctor. I went to get her when Cal and Sully's mom had difficulties that were beyond my experiences with her baby."

"Why's she still here?"

"Because, again, she's a medical doctor. Polly just had a difficult birth. She wants to ensure the baby and Polly are both fine."

"You delivered babies before."

"I have, you're right. Not like this one," he said. He'd have an idea now what to do after having watched Hermione work. He hoped he wouldn't have to put that knowledge to use, though.

They worked together, getting her eggs into a container she could take with her. Into the small wagon with firewood, milk, and some food for her household.

"Have a good day at school, Miss Fallon," he said.

She grabbed the wagon and tugged on it gently. And then set it down again.

"Do you love her?"

"I'm sorry?"

"The doctor?"

He froze, glancing at the sky a bit before lowering his head to look at her. He fiddled with the collar of his robe with a soft clearing of his throat.

"Why would you ask me such a question?"

"I don't know. I," she shrugged, and he saw tears in her eyes.

Merlin.

She liked him!

He'd never had a clue that was true. How long had that been true? Hell if he knew. She was all of fifteen. He was a lot of things, but he was pretty sure the difference between he and Hermione was as far as he'd go.

"You know, a doctor is a fine profession," he said.

"Huh?" she asked.

One thing he knew about Miss Fallon. She was smart. She didn't know it. She was a girl child, and had been taught mostly domestic tasks. She wasn't usually the one to come get the milk and eggs. He wagered she was the one who used them, though, since her mum had left during the winter and she was the only woman left in the house.

"Maybe when Doctor Granger checks on Polly and the baby after breakfast, you'd like to accompany her. See what that entails."

"I've seen the doc in town…"

"Not the same. Trust me. You'd be lucky if he was a legitimate medical professional."

Just like he wasn't a legitimate preacher.

"It was just a thought, Miss Fallon. Dr. Granger is a person, like myself, who enjoys sharing knowledge with those willing to learn. You're of the age you should be thinking about what you might do when you're seventeen."

She shook her head. There were more tears in her eyes.

"I was hoping to be a preacher's wife."

And, she said it. He preferred that she hadn't. That he didn't know for certain she had feelings for him.

"Miss Fallon. That is very flattering indeed, but you deserve someone who will love you."

"Pa says he didn't love Ma at first."

"That can happen." And might explain why her mum left. "Not all marriages like that come to have feelings involved."

She wiped her eyes with the back of her coat's sleeve. He wished he could assist her, but he couldn't cast a spell. And he hadn't put a handkerchief in his pocket this morning. He hadn't realized he'd need one.

"It's because of her," she said, angling her chin toward his home. "Isn't it?"

"No, it's not because of Dr. Granger. It's because I am a bitter man with secrets that the doctor is already aware of. It's because I am not the man for you, Miss Fallon. Audrey," he added for, he hoped, good measure. "You are fifteen."

"Ma was married …"

"And that is true. Just because your mom was, doesn't mean you have to be. There is more beyond this mining village to life."

"You live here!"

"I do Miss Fallon, and I think you'll find, as you get older and start to understand people better, that people like me choose to live like this for a reason."

She sniffled, and he sure hoped he hadn't bollocksed this up. He'd never had to have a conversation like this with anyone. Some students, sure, who were lusting after another student and proved … bothersome in their pursuits. That was different from the affection being directed at him.

"You are a good girl, Miss Fallon. You have a good mind. Use it to make your father proud of what you've done with your life. Not as if you settled."

"Oh, but you wouldn't be settling."

His lips quivered. "My past says otherwise. Be a teenager for a while longer."

He knew many motherly duties were thrust on her as the only girl and the oldest. Still. He couldn't order her father to allow her to be young for a little longer.

"I suspect most anyone will tell you that who they ended up with was miles different from their first crush."

He snorted softly at that, taking a second to glance back to his house.

He wasn't sure what they were going to do, but knew he wasn't going to just let her walk away from this visit. He meant what he'd said. He wasn't returning to London. Perhaps he could show her why he couldn't. His job didn't mean he couldn't ever leave this area, so it wasn't as if he couldn't visit her as he'd proven tonight. He just chose not to return to London or the wizarding world. He had no one he really missed anyway. Minerva, but even she wasn't enough to get him to return.

"Now, I have to finish up so that I'm not late for breakfast. Dr. Granger is not someone I want to make angry."

She smiled a little at that, as if she found it amusing he might be scared of the doctor. He wasn't scared of her, obviously. She wouldn't truly be mad. She would be able to put any food under stasis for any time he was delayed.

"Are you okay getting your wagon on your own?"

"Yes, Preacher."

"Good."

He watched as she left, waiting to finish up his work before returning to the house. Hermione looked out the window as he relayed the conversation to her, as if looking for Audrey Fallon to be there. He felt the need to tell her, though.

"Is that a first?" she asked after a while.

"I'm sorry?" he asked, unsure what exactly she was asking.

"You were a professor for seventeen years. You started when you were very young…"

"I was never inappropriate with a student … "

"I never suggested you were. I asked if this was your first experience with someone having a crush on you. Her teacher or not, it's not so different."

"Oh, well, yes," he said, unsure if that was pathetic to admit to, or not. "When I started, I had to do what I could to keep order in my classroom. So, I was harsh, and would never have risked even the whiff of anything inappropriate. It helped that Albus knew that I was not someone he had to worry about that with."

"Why not?" she asked.

"What kind of question is that, Hermione?"

She reached for him, settling her hand over his.

"I mean, Severus. You are a passionate man, a giving partner. Why wouldn't he have to worry about that with you? I don't mean with a student."

"First of all, it would be wrong to do such a thing. He knew I wouldn't do that. Don't ask me why he assumed I wouldn't perform other transgressions after taking the Dark Mark, but it is what it is. Secondly, there were no prospects. As far as anyone in magical Britain is concerned, I am above such things. I was more discreet than that."

"Mm. So no string of jilted witches to stare daggers at me like Miss Fallon did?"

He snorted. "Hardly."

He shook his head with a low chuckle. He did have a question, though. Some might think he was looking for flattery, but that was hardly the case. His need to be discreet were few and far between, and hadn't occurred since this witch arrived at Hogwarts. He thought about rectifying that after the war's end, but first there was his recovery. Then he was left scarred.

Recognizable.

Memorable.

Things Severus didn't like.

Especially knowing there were squibs and muggleborns out there he didn't know, who might recognize him.

And here he'd fallen into bed with this witch without much thought. Granted, he hadn't presumed sex would happen when he offered his bed to her. They were both adults, exhausted ones at that. He assumed sleeping wouldn't be a problem.

He cleared his throat softly. "You truly think I am … giving."

Her lips twitched. "You question my sincerity about giving but not passionate?"

"I question your sincerity in both, but most pressingly the giving part."

"Why?"

"Because you coming here from London for that would not be a problem. So, I would like to make sure my amount of givingness truly pleases you."

She laughed softly, blushing he noticed as she ducked her head to focus on her plate.

"And if your being here influences someone like Audrey Fallon to look elsewhere for their future…"

"Mm. I suppose some potions suitable for the villagers would be welcome, too?"

"Well, yes. I don't have a lab here, and as you could tell from Polly's home, and mine…"

"They were not really designed for year-round living."

"They were not."

Both glanced to the door. She no doubt noted the gaps between the logs the same as he did. They weren't feet wide or anything, but when it was cold and windy. Well, feet or inches, it didn't seem to matter with how miserable wind could make a room. And the rest of the villagers did not have access to warming charms.

She lifted her coffee mug to her lips with both hands, cradling the bottom of it in her palms.

"I find you giving enough."

"You are not just saying that?"

She laughed again, grazing the side of the mug with one of her thumbs.

"Why would I lie about that? And come back here for more, anyway?"

"Valid counterargument."

"It's a brave man to ask such a … pointed question."

"My experiences have never extended to the same woman more than once, so it's never been something I concerned myself with."

"Mm. Now, they might give you a different answer than I did."

"I assure you, I can attest to the fact that having emotion, even tolerable fondness, involved does influence my … givingness."

She snorted. "Tolerable fondness?"

"Well, I mean, if I said I was over the moon…"

"Oh, I would never expect that. Tolerable fondness sounds … acceptable."

"Good."

"She's not going to poison me or anything?"

"No. She'll realize, one day, I was right."

She set her coffee mug down then and stood, walking around the small table to him, and taking a seat on his lap. He accommodated her, happily. She slid her arms around his neck.

"I'm glad it was you, and not someone who wouldn't say no."

"As am I. There are some in the nearby town, particularly those that hang out in the pub."

She shuddered a bit and he did not like that he'd caused her discomfort.

"I have to go back tomorrow," she said.

"I'm aware," he said. She'd sent an owl to the Potters so they wouldn't worry about her and asking Harry to call her in absent to work for the next few days. She had mentioned her last time seeing Polly that the time for the most concern had passed.

She slid a hand to his cheek, grazing him with the back of her hand.

"Do you really want me to come back?"

He cleared his throat. "I would not be opposed to spending more time with you."

"Okay," she said, sounding curious.

"You are not otherwise involved that overnight visits to me won't result in an angry wizard coming to find me here?"

She scoffed. "Not at the moment."

"Proof people are dunderheads."

"Or I don't have a lot of time to make someone my priority."

"Understandable."

"I do believe there are a fair amount of dunderheads, too."

He snorted. She wasn't wrong. He'd say she was too young to be so jaded already, but she likely would have encountered them in spades in her line of work. From what he ascertained via the Daily Prophet and general gossip, her practice was a muggle one that magical people could go to, too, if they wished to. Otherwise, she assisted at St. Mungo's with high risk cases. He imagined she had quite a few stories to tell.

"So, take me on a typical Severus Snape day then," she said, sliding off his lap. He was rather disappointed at that turn of events, truth be told.

*****

"You look nice," Harry said as she came downstairs. She didn't really. Not super nice. She wasn't dressed for dinner at the Four Seasons, but she had attempted to dress in a way that suggested she wasn't going somewhere just for the purpose of having sex.

"Thank you," she said.

"That's been every weekend for two months now, hasn't it?"

"Yes," she said, knowing she sounded defensive.

"Do I need to go have a talk with him?"

"You most certainly do not. I'm an adult, Harry."

"You are an adult, but until now I've never known you to have sex without a relationship."

"We don't just have a sex."

"Okay," he said. "I just don't want to see you get hurt."

"I appreciate that, Harry," she leaned in then, bussing him on the mouth just as James and Lily came running into the room to hug her goodbye. She was incredibly lucky Harry and Ginny didn't mind her continuing to live here while she finished medical school.

One year left, and then she could decide if staying here in London was what she even wanted. It was why she hadn't bothered to buy a home.

"Mummy says you have a boyfriend," James said.

"Mummy doesn't have all of the facts. I have a male friend that I enjoy spending my free weekends with."

She stooped, kissing first Lily and then James. She grazed their heads with the palm of her hand lightly. She could admit there were times she was … jealous Harry had this

A home.

A wife.

Kids.

A family.

Then she remembered that she was only twenty-five, and wasn't doomed to live out the rest of her existence alone quite yet.

The fact that she was engaging in a … relationship that was hugely based on sex was new. She hadn't been dating anyone prior to the night Severus showed up to get her two months ago. It wasn't as if she'd met Prince Charming during the past two months and turned him down to continue having sex with Severus.

She suspected there was more to him living as he was than he was admitting. Regardless, it was sort of refreshing to be somewhere for a couple of days and have nothing to worry about. He had books in his house she could read when he needed to do things by himself. The need for him to do things by himself didn't come up really often, though. And she helped him.

She stopped by every other week, too, to see Polly, and her daughter, Siobhan. Severus admitted their funds were essentially non-existent, so going to see the town doctor wasn't going to happen. Was it in her habit to do pro-bono work? No, but if it helped this mother and daughter survive, and get healthy. Well, she didn't mind doing it.

And Miss Fallon?

It had taken one or two invitations from Hermione to join her when she visited Polly and Siobhan, but she eventually had joined.

And was full of questions.

Severus said it served her right.

She couldn't exactly argue with him on that.

"Will we meet him?" James asked.

"Maybe, one day."

"He never picks you up," James said. She imagined this was another thing his mummy mentioned.

"Mm, it's a bit complicated, but he does pick me up from where I apparate to."

"Oh," Lily said. She was such a cutie. "Can I see the baby?" she asked.

""Not this time."

"Is she good?"

"She is, Lily, doing very well. So is her mummy."

Hermione had talked to Polly about contraception options at her last visit a couple of weeks ago. She was really on the advanced-side of years to have more babies.

Lily and James had both heard Hermione talk about Polly and the breech baby she'd delivered with really no medical equipment available to her. At three, Lily was curious about babies. James, at five and having a baby sister, didn't seem as curious.

She also wasn't at the point of practicing medicine when Lily was born for James to ask to see her or anything.

There was going to be a third Potter child in a few months. Harry swore to her three was all they were having. She'd never heard Gin saying she wanted seven like her parents, not that it was any of her business anyway.

Another thing she was a little envious of him for. There was something to be said to having your children early as they were doing, and being done when they were younger.

Not the right reason to have a child.

And she'd need someone to have a child with.

She and Severus were very lucky she'd been taking the contraceptive potion, because neither had thought to cast a contraceptive charm the first weekend they'd been intimate.

He and Chestnut were waiting for her when she got to the spot he liked to apparate to and from. It wasn't too far from the muggle pickup truck that was there. It was Severus' he told her a while ago, and really for when the supplies in the small local town weren't sufficient.

His arms slid around her and his mouth closed over here almost before she had her wits about her. She licked his lower lip, tasting whiskey, before she drew away for a breath.

"Hi," she said.

"You're late," he quipped, sliding a hand along her hip, tugging a bit on her skirt.

"Uh, yeah," she said. "Lily was asking questions."

She wasn't exactly sure how, because she was pretty sure he hadn't used magic, but her skirt was up and her knickers were on the ground.

"And I guess you weren't really looking for the reason why I was late," she murmured when he slanted his mouth over hers again. This was timed with him gathering her up so she sort of had to wrap her legs around him.

Magic did come into play here as they both ensured his trousers were unfastened so he could …

"Merlin, yes," he growled, as he filled her with one quick thrust. He took a few steps once they were joined, backing her up against the door of the pickup truck.

She cried out, gripping his biceps, tightening her legs around his waist as he began an almost frantic pace, his mouth moved from hers to her neck. His hands were clutching her arse as she worked to move with him as best as she could.

"You feel so good," he whispered, grazing the spot on her neck he'd been focused on until now with his tongue.

"No better than you do, I assure you," she said.

He snorted. "It's you. It has to be you."

"You've been drinking tonight," she said.

"A couple shots of whiskey."

"Maybe it's the alcohol."

"I assure you, Hermione, I've had whiskey prior to tonight and had no problem keeping my cock in my pants."

"You had a problem doing that tonight?"

"Merlin, yes. Just the idea of you arriving made me hard."

She clenched around him, finding his neck and kissing him there.

"Really?" she asked. She nipped at his neck just below his ear. "So you were already hard and ready for me when I got here?"

"I was."

"That's arousing as hell."

"I'm glad I can do that."

"You always do that, Severus," she said.

She'd never left from a weekend with him feeling unsatisfied, used, or anything else like it. Did she wonder a time or two what they were doing? Yes, she could admit that, but she wasn't going to be the one to put the brakes on this. She'd never really enjoyed sex before now.

He slid a hand from her arse cheek between their bodies to pleasure her as he knew she liked.

"You get so wet for me, it seems I'm like a horny third year again."

She slid her hands to his cheeks, meeting his eyes as he thrust into her.

"You are so better than anything a third year could offer."

He chuckled, turning his face a bit to nip at her thumb that was near his mouth.

He pulled out once they'd both finished and caught their breath. He cast a spell to clean them both off before setting her back on the ground, ensuring her skirt was okay.

"I missed you," he said softly. So softly she wasn't sure she was supposed to hear him.

"I missed you, too."

She slid her hand into his, squeezing it.

"You can stay until Monday morning?"

"I can," she answered.

"I'd like that, I think."

She blushed. "Me, too."

"If I have left you thinking I'm an oaf of a man…"

"You haven't." She went up on her tiptoes, kissing the edge of his mouth. "I liked it, Severus."

"Really?"

"Yes. It's nice to feel … wanted."

"Agreed," he said after a nod and a beat or two of silence. As if he thought about whether he wanted to give a response. She was glad that he did.

"Put your arms around my neck," he murmured.

She tilted her head a bit in question, but did as he asked. And just like that he apparated them away. She was going to ask about Chestnut, assuming he apparated them to his house, but realized once she let go of him that wasn't where they were.

"What is this?"

"The reason I cannot return to London," he whispered.

She frowned a bit as she looked around what looked like an office. There was even a computer in it. Did Severus know how to use computers? That was unexpected, if so.

He offered her his hand, which she took, following him as he went to a secure door in the corner of the room. He opened that with a code of some sort, which led to a long hallway that was very dimly lit. And very musty-smelling. The pathway was really just packed down dirt.

"Just wait," he said, when she opened her mouth to ask questions.

They took the tunnel to the end. There were several secure doors along the way, but the one at the end of the tunnel was something a battering ram would have a hard time getting through.

She knew she was gaping. That her mouth was hanging wide open at what she was seeing.

"Where…"

"A speechless Hermione Granger."

She squeezed his hand before dropping it, walking toward a nearby shelf.

"I don't feel any wards," she said, recognizing that the antiquated-looking vase was magical. And not something to be trifled with. She could feel its … power without even touching it.

"There are none. In here. This was a natural cavern we made into this storage area. Only Kingsley and I know where it actually is. The workers were brought to and from here so they couldn't tell anyone what they were working on and where."

"And obliviated then?"

"Yes."

"Will I be?"

"No."

"And these are?" She scanned the room. Room wasn't doing it justice. It was essentially a giant warehouse.

"Dark items. Cursed items."

She turned then, regarding him.

"And you're their curator?"

"More or less. Kingsley and the DMLE heads were concerned post-war people would try to bring him back again. Or worse. He decided a neutral, non-magical place would be best."

"And you, being one of the experts on dark and cursed items left in the world, were chosen to run it."

"Mm," he said.

She stepped toward him then, taking his hand again.

"Still rather lonely. Not a spy, but still on your own."

"It's a fluke the town is even here, and that I found it."

"Lucky for you. And them."

He shrugged.

She ran her free hand along his arm. "Don't do that. It is very lucky. You help them, Severus. Polly might be dead if not for you."

"You did the work…"

"Yes, but without you, her husband may have tried to do it himself."

He nodded, as if he hadn't thought of that until now.

"A mother and a baby are alive because you were here to assist them."

"I can give you that."

"And judging by that taste of whiskey on your lips earlier, you were sitting out with them before you came to meet me." She knew he sat with them. There wasn't much else to do in their little village.

"I was."

"You like them. They not just like you, but trust you. True preacher or not, you give them faith. Something to believe in. Guidance. You're good at that."

"I know."

She nodded.

"I thought of moving elsewhere. Certainly to a nearby home that protects against the elements better than my current abode does."

"And?"

"Well, it was just me. It didn't matter where I lived. I found myself wishing you were with us tonight."

"I'm sorry my rounds ran late…"

"Do not apologize for doing your job."

"Well, it would've been nice to do that with you. We can tomorrow, yeah?"

"We can."

"Good."

"Assuming you'll let me out long enough to do that," he quipped with a low chuckle.

"Really? You couldn't even wait until we got back to your house!"

"I told you, I missed you."

She smiled. She couldn't help it. She couldn't imagine anyone thinking Severus would admit to missing anyone.

"You haven't said that before now."

"I didn't want to sound like a fool. And, well," he shrugged. "I can't very well ask you to give up London and what I'm sure will be a lucrative career in your chosen field."

Her heart skipped a beat at that.

"Do you want to ask me that?"

He purses his lips, eyes piercing in their gaze. He wasn't looking at her though. He nodded then, as if deciding something.

"I'd like very much to wake to you at my side every morning. I said in the beginning I couldn't lay claim to being over the moon for you. That has changed."

"Really?"

"You sound so surprised. What did you think?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. We haven't discussed feelings or intentions."

"I don't have sex randomly. I have never before now made love to the same person twice."

"And you want to keep having sex with me?"

"As proven earlier, obviously. I want it all, though. You as my partner."

She nipped at her lower lip, grazing the inside of it with her tongue.

"I'm not trying to make you decide anything tonight. I knew it was time to show you why I'm holed up here. Take all of the time you need."

"Thank you."

"It's a lot. I would, however, if you said yes, encourage the Minister for Magic to employ you, too." He tilted his head back then and laughed.

"What?"

"That appeals to you?"

"I can admit that. Not necessarily the position. The fact that you'd be here to tell me what all of these things are."

"Oh yes, we could spend days in here."

She slid a hand to his chest, resting it there lightly.

"To be clear. You are asking me to move here. With you."

"Asking? I suppose that I am, yes. Again, I am hesitant to put you in a position where you feel you have to leave a reputable practice."

"I'm not at a practice yet, though, Severus. And I didn't become a doctor to get rich."

He nodded. He knew that was true.

"Take me into town tomorrow? Let me see what's here. In the whole area. A traveling obstetrician that does housecalls may not be lucrative, but it would be rewarding." She flicked her thumb along his shirt with a sigh. "A baby is in this world because of our efforts."

"Your efforts. I did little."

"You did a lot. You recognized it was a dangerous situation, and got help."

She smiled at the bit of color that bloomed on his cheeks with those words.

"We can even take the pickup truck."

"Can we?"

"Can we what?"

She shrugged, knew she was blushing. "Have you ever in a car?"

He scoffed with a shake of his head. "No."

"Want to change that?"

"So long as we don't get arrested for indecent exposure, sure."

"That sounds fun. Not the getting arrested part," she added quickly.

"Trust me, getting arrested is not fun."

"And one last thing," she said softly before he lowered his mouth to hers.

"Yes?"

"There's nothing stopping you from spending your nights with me. You could apparate to and from Harry's."

"I'd be gone from here. From our village, I can see if anyone would be heading toward this area. Not to mention, people would wonder if I'm not home…"

"That's assuming people watch your house close enough to see when you go to sleep. You live alone, apart from everyone else."

"Valid point," he said.

"I'm not trying to make you go back on your word of not returning to London. I understand. This is your chosen job, and you need to be here. It just doesn't have to be every night you stay here. Alone. Show me the town, Severus, and we can decide from there."

"I can do that."

"Now," she said, drawing away, tugging on his hand back toward the tunnel they'd just come from. "No dark magic or cursed items in your office?"

"No," he said, sounding a bit puzzled.

"Let's go break that desk in."

He didn't look puzzled any longer.

They would make this work. She wanted to as much as he seemed to want to. Would a practice in the middle of nowhere be what she aspired to? Ordinarily, no, but to spend her time with him.

Well, she thought she'd be far happier with that type of practice, knowing she came home each night to him.

~The End~

Return to Top

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com