***Chapter Three***
November 1997

He couldn't say he hated being out of the Black house, bringing Yaxley along for the ride from the Ministry had (obviously) not been part of their plan. So they had little choice but to leave. He was too immersed in beginning of the school year Hogwarts business at the time of their escape from the Ministry originally for him to recall the specific day. Or even what had actually happened. The actual events were not what Severus recalled having been reported to the Dark Lord.

As a result, he'd been helpless to do anything but watch because he knew they needed to get the locket. Stopping them from going through with their plan wouldn't be prudent. Who was to say they'd get another chance?

He'd heard Yaxley had been punished for letting them get away. He never knew, until watching it unfold, how close he'd gotten to getting his hands on them. (Of course, Severus realized now that he did know, the death eater wouldn't tell anyone what truly happened. That would have been embarrassing, and could have potentially led to not just punishment but execution.)

They had, of course, quickly left as a result. He wished now , a couple of months later, he had taken care of the lone death eater before they left. It had just not been possible. He had been focused on keeping her safe, and she'd needed him to be a calming force when she was stressed. Taking out one random - and, most importantly, alone - death eater, though. Likely, too, one that would be even more blood thirsty if he found them again because I'd that event.

Well, he very much regretted not doing it now.

He'd gotten complacent after their escape from the Burrow and failed them - her - that day. He'd taken for granted that, in the secret-kept Grimmauld Place abode, they'd be safe .

Despite their fears about him , he knew that they were safe there. And he did find, as days turned into weeks spent with them, that he worried about all three of them, even if she was his primary concern. There was no doubt, though, that her friends were part of her. A package deal. If he was going to accept her, he had to accept them.

So it wasn't just her he'd failed. It was them.

He would not do that again.

She had been better prepared for this than he gave her credit for, with her bag with an undetectable extension charm on it. As if she'd known all summer that they may have to run. He couldn't recall one time in their month together prior to William's wedding that she indicated she thought they might. He had no idea what all she'd brought with her, but knew she was prepared for just about anything.

Unfortunately, these were death eaters, witches and wizards, with a great deal of experience - and nastiness - that she was dealing with. So, there might be things she wasn't prepared for.

He also knew one thing with absolute certainty: they did not have excess money or food.

They'd left Grimmauld Place without the chance to grab any extra. She didn't say anything to him, but he was aware enough of her going to sleep with a growling stomach more often than not to know what was happening. Potter and Weasley, too. He heard her whispered conversations with Ron and Harry, now just Harry, indicating they were running low on this or that. Most usually money. She tried to be discreet, because of him. She seemed more embarrassed that he'd think she was a failure than anything.

He'd had enough of it. Tonight he was going to do something about it.

He prowled the perimeter they'd set up around the tent that his witch had thought to bring with them. How had they … done this originally and survived? While she was prepared to an extent, none of them were trained for, or accustomed to, a nomad's type of existence.

They really had no money. Things were a little less dire with Weasley now gone, but his witch was not born or cut out to be a thief, and the times she'd had to resort to that. He'd been afraid she'd get caught. Evidently, her will to survive overrode her guilt. He was proud of her for that, though he knew it would bother her for him to say so.

They rarely had enough food. When they did, he watched as his mate went without, or took less, so that the wizards with her would get more. Well, now it was just the one wizard, as Weasley had abandoned them.

"What's wrong, Ziggy?" Potter asked when he exited the tent.

His mate was sleeping soundly. That was good, though the rumbling from her stomach told him it wouldn't last long. She'd wake up hungry, realizing there was still nothing to eat. With Weasley gone, she hated leaving Harry alone for any longer than she had to, which meant shorter foraging excursions for food.

He approached Potter, letting the wizard pet him. Eventually, he drew away, knowing that he had to get on with his errand.

"Woof," he said, leaving Potter's side and slipping through the wards.

He was pretty certain Hermione being the one to set the wards was how he was able to come and go as he pleased. Whether she knew it or not, her magic knew he was her mate. He had to be careful, though, to not be seen hunting around their camp. He didn't think Yaxley had seen him during the ruckus at Grimmauld Place. He did not care to risk it. He would not be responsible for leading someone right to them.

He made his way through the woods, marking his way as he went. Finally, a safe distance away so that Potter would not see him disappear, he apparated. A handful of apparations later, he arrived at Hogwarts, making his way toward his tunnel and then through the dungeons. He padded his way up to the headmaster's quarters. He briefly debated going to the office, but realized Albus could not see two of them together.

He had no idea how to get the headmaster's attention. His younger self had avoided changing into his animagus form to ask him questions until now. Severus had permitted it because there really hadn't been much to say. He didn't think the younger version of himself would have wanted to know he had a mate in August. He wasn't sure he'd want to know now, for that matter, but desperate times called for him demanding a conversation now. He could not sit idly by while their mate starved herself to death. He would get him to change tonight so that he could get her help.

He couldn't believe that Albus had him hold onto that sword for months . It made him sick to think that he could have helped them. Albus knew best.

He started barking then. Howling. It was the only way he could think of to let the other him know he was here.

It took longer than he thought it would, but eventually Severus came through the door that led to the office. He was very clearly not pleased with Ziggy's antics.

"Have you gone mad?" This was said in a whispered hiss he recognized well. He was not pleased with Ziggy's intrusion. "Alecto Carrow now wants to see my dog!"

"Woof," he said, ramming into his thigh none too gently. He didn't care about Alecto. He could come up with some excuse for an animal being in his quarters.

"What is wrong with you?"

"Woof," he said, batting against his thigh again. He barked, spittle flying out of his mouth at the intensity of it until, finally, Severus slipped into his animagus form.

"I have no time for this! If you are truly me from the future, you know what this year is like! What is it?"

"Our mate needs help."

Silence.

"Our what?"

"You heard me, and know who I am with. Do you need me to spell it for you? Don't be difficult, as I am short on patience and time. She is starving and broke."

"Are you trying to tell me…"

"Can we not focus on that for the time being? I need money, and some rations would be nice. Perhaps some supplies."

"And you're going to get it back to them how?"

"We are a wizard the last I checked. A more than slightly capable one at that. If our mate, at under eighteen, can create an undetectable extension charm on the fly, I'm fairly certain that we have the ability to do so ourselves. So, find a bag or container and do one. Tie it around my neck or my torso. Make it a barrel and tie it around my neck for all that I care. I'm sure the brandy would be welcome by this point. Just do it."

"And you think that I just have…"

"I know that you do. I am you. I was you here months ago. Unless you'd rather our mate continue to waste away."

He knew she survived, of course. That wasn't the point. He wanted, nay needed, to ensure that she did more than survive this. For that matter, he had no idea how long she survived. She didn't look close to death the last time he saw her before she left the shack, but he really wasn't looking at her in such a way as to notice her physical well being. He was rather focused on himself and getting Potter the memories.

"Fine. Wait here."

"I will."

"I have questions."

He huffed. The irony!

"There will be a time and place for those questions. The witch healed you without question. She stayed in our rooms, having to know you wouldn't react well to seeing her there, but she wanted to ensure that you were all right. Assist her."

"You are traveling with her?"

"I am." His tongue lolled a bit with the response. How else did he think he'd know about her current state?

"Phineas' portrait informed me - to put it politely - that she hid the one from Grimmauld Place with them."

"She did."

She hadn't said so in front of, or to, him, but he suspected it was to prevent him. The current him. From hearing and knowing where they were and what they were doing. He wasn't even sure she recalled that it was currently in the bag. Ziggy had forgotten about it truthfully.

"He says he hears them once in a while, so I presume it's with them. Her. Can you encourage her to use it?"

"I can try."

"I will move his portrait in here."

"I will try," he repeated.

His younger self snarled with a low growl. "Are you? Have you?"

"None of your business. You could also give her what she needs to go through her animagus training. The full moon is approaching unless my calculations are off. I heard them talking about it approaching, wanting to stay away from areas they might encounter werewolves."

"It is tonight," he said.

"She has nothing but time to herself, and I recall when an electrical storm occurs to complete the process next month also on the night of the full moon."

"Fine." He heard the derision in the younger version of himself's huff.

Silence as bullmastiff regarded bullmastiff. He saw question in the other dog's eyes. Sadness. Even in this form it was there. He thought his probably had that look less these days.

"Does he win?"

"I do not know," he admitted.

"How did you get hurt?"

"It was a war."

What more was there to say? Hopefully, if they did this right, he - the current version of him - would not have the same thing happen to him.

"You were physically attacked."

He snarled with a low huff. He really preferred not discussing another incident of near death, but he understood his younger self's need for answers.

"His snake."

"I assumed that would be who would do it."

"I'm aware. Continue taking the antivenin. If we help her, them, we might get a better outcome than what I know. I don't know. I'm trying to help as much as I can. She could help you, too."

"I do not need…"

"Were her healing abilities inferior?"

"No."

"She took care of you, Severus. I brought her to you, and all she knows is that you are her professor who might or might not be a spy, and might or might not be deceiving everyone in the Order. Yet she healed you, and didn't cut corners in doing so either. She didn't tell anyone either. She doesn't know we are hers, but she did it nonetheless. Not knowing for certain you are not a death eater."

"Fine. I will return. Be quiet!"

He snorted. "It's not as if I could send a patronus - your patronus - to the office. I didn't think it would be prudent for Albus, or any portrait, to see me. I don't know if any others are familiar with this form."

As far as he knew, Albus was the only one who knew. However, that did not mean the other wizard hadn't told someone.

"Valid."

"I will be here."

+++

He stood from the spot on his bed he'd been sleeping on when Severus entered the room. No offense to the sleeping accommodations he'd been partaking in the past couple of months, but he missed a good bed. Of course, good bad or no Hermione. Well, he made his choice.

"Really? My, our, bed?" There was a lift of the left side of his mouth that wasn't a snarl and almost looked like a smirk.

"Woof," he said, wagging his tail in happiness as he jumped off the bed. His human self was teasing him. Well, to a point.

"All right," he said, gesturing to what looked like little more than a purse. Where in the hell had he gotten it? It wasn't his. Theirs. He knew that much.

"Money. And food. Toiletries for her and the wizards traveling with her."

"Woof," he said. There was only one wizard traveling with her anymore.

"She is truly ours?" He sounded both skeptical and hopeful. Interesting. He hadn't really thought about how he might react to such news.

He barked rapidly.

"Okay. Okay. You will return when she needs anything else?"

"Woof."

"Get her to use Phineas' portrait. Or get her to be able to hear me. He says he's somewhere dark. I presume this bag of hers you mentioned?"

"Woof."

"All right. If you can get her to open the bag when she's alone and not in the company of Weasley or Potter to where they'd find it odd something from her bag was calling for her. I will try."

He fastened the bag over his back and under his belly, casting a disillusioning spell on it so if he was spotted no one would see a dog with a purse strapped around him.

Good thinking.

This was followed by a barrel he fastened around his neck. He couldn't be serious! He had been joking.

"Butterbeer. I presume they haven't had any in a while."

He barked in acknowledgment, shaking his head a bit at the feel of the item around his neck. Weightless charm, no doubt, but it was still something around his neck.

He panted as Severus pet him, distracting him from thinking about his scars. He liked that he did these things. He couldn't recall a year ago whether he would have cared about anything . He hoped that meant he was making a difference, even if he'd elected to go with Hermione and not stay here.

He really wouldn't have done Severus any good here. In fact, he likely might have brought suspicion onto him. And he certainly couldn't be seen here after being seen at the Weasley's. That would not do.

"I am glad you had her to care for you." This was said quietly. Ziggy wondered if Severus hadn't wanted him to hear.

"Woof." He was admittedly glad, too. Now. If he hadn't, he wouldn't know she was their mate.

"Do you need assistance getting out?"

He snorted, shaking his head. Ridiculous question!

"Very well. You should be able to apparate from here."

He cocked his head, tongue hanging out. Honestly, not having thought of that before. Of course he could have. Stupid. Of course, being as injured as he had been until rather recently, being able to run was enjoyable, too. And running in new places, smelling new scents, was welcome.

In the interest of getting the supplies to his mate expediently, he set about apparating from Hogwarts. He trotted the last bit of distance from his final apparition point, letting out a soft bark so whoever was watching would know it was him before crossing the wards into their camp.

"Must have been some walk," Potter said.

Ziggy walked up to the wizard and pressed against his arm. Potter petted the top of his head. Severus was careful not to let him pet elsewhere, lest he feel the disillusioned items. Ziggy let out a soft yip before making his way to the tent to find his witch. He seemed to bring Potter comfort, too.

It was easy until traveling with him like he had the past few months to assume he liked all of this. War. Being The Boy Who Lived. Attention. Adventure.

He had come to learn via listening and observing, nothing could be further from the truth. He felt guilty, especially now that Ronald had left them, that Hermione was stuck in this mess, too. He didn't know yet what she'd done to her parents so that she could come along on this task. Severus had no doubt that his feelings of guilt would only increase.

It was so easy to compare him to James Potter, but when push came to shove, James Potter went into hiding to protect his wife and young son. His mistake? Listening to Black. Trusting Pettigrew. Clearly, though, the hiding as he should have done pointed to the man having grown up. Changed. Just as Severus had done.

James Potter was dead. Severus Snape had a Dark Mark on his arm. Severus had the chance to atone for his misdeeds. James had not.

Harry was, when all was said and done, a good human being and a more than average wizard. Severus wondered if they'd met under different circumstances, most notably Severus not being a spy, if their association wouldn't have gotten off to a better start. He could admit his personal biases against a wizard named Potter hadn't helped. 

She was in the kitchen and he let out a low woof when he saw her.

"Oh, hey," she said. "Harry said you'd been gone for a while. Is everything okay?" she asked. He hated that he worried her, but also loved that she worried. Such a double edged sword. He'd just never had it before, so it was enjoyable!

"Woof."

He pawed at her foot. She was barefoot at the moment. And there was something very primal for him seeing this witch parading around the tent barefoot, tending to her best friend. He wasn't jealous exactly. He knew they were just friends, but somewhere in him it rankled him.

She stooped down, petting him as he hoped she'd do.

"Oh," she said as her hands came in contact with the bag and barrel straps. "What is this?"

"Woof," he said, shaking as if he had just gotten out of water and wanted it off. Something she'd seen him do plenty of times now. More than once she'd given him a bath. More than once a bath had resulted in him getting to be in her mouth. That primal thing was in play there, too. He loved the few minutes after he'd finished coming before he'd licked her face of any residuals. Knowing the next time her friends saw her they'd have no idea. Harry nor Ron seemed to find it odd she gave him baths. 

"Okay, okay," she said, casting the spell to see the bag and barrel then remove them from him. Her eyes widened when she opened the barrel and smelled the Butterbeer. She opened the bag then, reaching in and clearly surprised that it was larger than it seemed. "What did you do, Ziggy?"

"Woof," he said. I took care of what is mine.

She took the items out, eyes growing large and wet from tears as she unpacked various food items. There was fresh food for the fridge, but more importantly there were dried fruits and jerky-like meats that would come in handy if Ziggy wasn't able to get back to Hogwarts to replenish their supplies for some reason. Amongst the food items were, as Severus said, toiletry items both she and Potter could use like shampoo. There were also feminine items that Potter would not require. She found the items and potions she'd need to do her animagus training, eyes widening at that. And last, she found a pouch of money.

"Ziggy," she said, peering inside.

She wrapped her arms around him, crying uncontrollably now. He didn't like that at all. He knew it was from gratitude and relief, but the protector in him saw that his mate was hurting. He whimpered and she drew away after a few minutes.

She regarded the haul his other self had provided for her and then looked at him sternly.

"You didn't steal this, did you?"

"Woof," he said, shaking his head.

"Okay. I just…"

He licked her face, licking away the tears.

"So," she said, glancing at the Mandrake leaf and other items she would require for her animagus training. He panted in appreciation as she took all of these things in. Last, she spotted the chrysalis of a Death's-head Hawk Moth she would require. "This is a hint, I take it?"

"Woof!" No hint about it, Witch.

"I guess there's no time like the present since the full moon is tonight."

"Woof!"

"I wonder what I'll turn into?"

"Woof," he said, rubbing the side of his face against hers.

"You don't know that."

He licked her, nipping lightly at her neck.

"It's nice to think about, Ziggy, but don't be disappointed if…"

He bound away then, shaking his head again with a growl. He did know! He would not be disappointed. Well, he could be if she fled after finding out who he truly was.

"Okay, okay," she said.

"What's this?" she asked about another pouch. He had no idea what was in it. "Oh," she said, blushing deeply. He tilted his head curiously as she drew a vial out of the pouch. It was contraceptive potion. Merlin. Did he think she was going to sleep with Potter?

"Um, Ziggy, I don't need…"

And then it dawned on him. Taking the potion would aid in regulating her cycle so that she would know more precisely when to expect her monthly. How to tell her that, though. He trotted up to the personal items she'd strewn around her and sniffed them, nudging the potion she still held afterward. Then he lowered his snout to her thigh and entrance, nudging against it. He gave a soft yip.

Come on, Witch.

She glanced from the potion to the items and then to him, head tilted as she thought. He knew this gesture of hers. He whimpered, nudging between her legs and then the items again.

"It will help keep me regular?"

"Woof."

She put the potion back in the pouch then and set it down, going to him and kneeling.

"Did you go to Professor Snape?"

"Woof."

"He helped you?"

"Woof."

She sighed heavily. "He knows you know me…"

"Woof."

"Thank you. That was very brave and nice of you."

She put everything away, though she did take one of the potions before putting the Mandrake leaf in her mouth.

She took the pouch of money. Severus hoped his younger self knew to put more muggle money than galleons in there. They were a smart wizard, so would likely realize they were avoiding wizarding areas right now.

He licked away some fresh tears he saw spilling from her eyes.

"I'm okay. It's just… This locket, Ziggy. It's awful, and I'm so hungry all of the time."

He huffed. He knew. It was why he'd gone on this errand tonight.

"Well, Harry and I will eat well tonight and for the next little while. Thank you, Ziggy, and thank Professor Snape for me."

You already have, my witch.

"I guess I should save the bag for you. You're going to go back I presume." She slid a finger over the barrel, shaking her head with a light laugh. "This was a joke, wasn't it?"

"Woof." Yes, it was. Of course he was going back. He would keep doing so until he didn't have to. Presumably in May.

"Do you go see him often?"

He shook his head.

"Well, thank you."

He curled up then, watching as she put the various items away. The animagus training items she handled carefully, for obvious reasons. He walked to her own bag. He nudged it and pawed at it.

"What?" she asked, seeing him nosing into it.

His ears quivered to attention and he growled at the bag.

"What?"

He pushed the bag more toward her with his nose.

"Ziggy."

He whimpered.

And then she must have heard it. She cast a muffliato around her and leaned her face into the bag. A year ago he would have been beyond irritated seeing her use his spell. Now he was proud.

"Headmaster?" she whispered.

"Yes. I just wanted to ensure Ziggy did as I asked. Is now an acceptable time?"

"For what?"

"To go over the items that were given to you."

"Oh. Yes, the leaf is in my mouth."

"Good. And the potions should help regulate your cycle. I know in my experience as head of house, witches do not appreciate the apparent randomness of those things at times …"

"Yes, I figured that out. Thank you, Sir."

"You are welcome. Ziggy can return when your supplies run low."

"Okay."

"I have moved Phineas' other portrait into my chambers, so if you call for me and I don't answer, that is why. I moved a couple of others as well, so no one should think twice about his being gone."

She nodded, realizing he couldn't see her. "Of course."

"Perhaps we could set aside a time when it's convenient."

"Sure." She sounded uncertain, as if she wondered why the headmaster wished to speak to her. Ziggy woofed.

"Hello, Ziggy."

"Woof."

"So, what time is conducive to you being unobserved by Weasley or Potter."

"Um," she said. Ziggy observed her biting her lower lip. "It's just Harry and me right now."

Silence.

"Sir?"

"I didn't realize. Ziggy did not inform me of that. And you are all right?"

"Well, the items you sent with Ziggy will help a great deal. We are okay, just scared and hungry, and not really sure what we are supposed to be doing."

"There is plenty of food where that came from. Just send Ziggy back with the bag. You can keep the barrel, unless you want it replenished."

"Thank you, Sir."

"A time, Miss Granger?"

"Oh. Well, I usually have the last watch of the night. So early morning is probably best. I can bring my bag outside with me."

"Ziggy. This is true?"

"Woof."

"Why would you take his word over mine?"

"Just getting a second opinion."

She sighed with a huff and Ziggy cocked his head.

"You are safe for the night then?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Good night then. I will try to contact you tomorrow morning at about five o'clock."

"That should be fine."

"Be careful."

"You, too, Sir," she said.

She closed the bag then, cancelling the Muffliato with a sigh.

"You aren't leading me into a trap, are you?"

"Woof!"

This was followed by another shake of his head. He would never allow harm to come to her, even from this younger version of himself.

"I have to trust you. You haven't done anything to make me not. And well, the food and supplies are appreciated."

He yipped. He knew they were.

"Want to take a bath with me before I see to dinner?" she asked, sounding a little shy.

Hmm. It was late for dinner, even he knew that despite his inability to truly tell time. However, he'd seen the state of their rations prior to him going on his errand, so knew that neither witch or wizard had eaten well.

"Woof," he said. He didn't mind taking a bath with her one bit.



Hermione sighed as she glanced at her watch to see the time. She glanced at her beaded bag, deciding if she should communicate with the headmaster or not.

Ziggy had really done nothing to indicate that she shouldn't trust him. He'd brought her to Professor - Headmaster - Snape when he'd found him badly injured. Did they know one another? From her research, Headmaster Snape really had no friends. And those that he might have considered a friend defected once he killed the former headmaster.

Except … 

She tilted her head a bit.

"Are you Lucius Malfoy?"

She'd clearly caught Ziggy off guard with that question because his ears perked up with a tilt of his head. He growled then with a shake of that head. Not in the way he'd growled when she mentioned Sirius a few times either.

"Don't get mad at me. It's just, he's the only person I could think of who might like the headmaster right now." She regarded him, giving him a pet as she did. "I would have read something about Lucius Malfoy being missing, though, I guess. The thing is, I haven't read any reports of anyone going missing."

She hadn't kept up on the Daily Prophet since leaving Grimmauld Place, but they'd left two months after Ziggy landed in her bed. Someone would've - should've - been reported missing in two months! Then there were quite a few disappearances these days, so maybe not.

He yipped and she wished she could talk to him.

"Is that why you want me to do my animagus training?"

He tilted his head.

"To talk to me."

"Woof!"

"Will I know who you are?"

"Woof," he said. This one sounded … less enthusiastic than the previous one. Hmm.

"You don't want me to know who you are?"

He whimpered then. She sighed heavily, reaching into the bag to remove Phineas Black's portrait. She'd have to think about whether she knew Ziggy another time.

"Headmaster," she whispered.

"Good morning. Or I suppose for you it's good evening?"

She smiled a little at that.

"Yes. I'll sleep in a while."

"Good."

"We had a dinner last night thanks to you."

"You haven't had dinner?"

"Not much of them, no," she said. That was an understatement. "Money's tight. I have to make food last. With Ronald gone, I don't like leaving Harry longer than absolutely necessary."

"I understand. And Mr. Weasley really left?"

"Yes," she said softly. "A few weeks ago now."

"I apologize that he let you down in such a fashion. I would not have expected that out of him."

She wasn't sure she'd ever felt more betrayed in her life than the moment Ronald left. Forget a potential future with her. How could he do that to his friends?!

Ziggy pawed at her, grazing the locket with his paw. He tipped with a low growl at the locket. She'd think he was trying to distract her from thinking about Ronald, but she didn't think that was his point just now.

She looked from the locket to him to the beaded bag. She bit her lower lip. Did she dare?

"Am I supposed to tell him? That's what you're suggesting, isn't it?"

"Woof!"

"You're sure."

"Woof!" She gave his head a pet. She loved how … emotional his barks could be. Sometimes he barked just to bark. Other times, like now, he was obviously trying to tell her something.

"We, Harry and I now, are splitting time with this locket. It belonged to Salazar Slytherin."

"Oh?"

"It," she said, lowering her voice. "Has a horcrux in it."

Silence.

"It's horrible, Sir," she said, and she knew Ziggy saw tears in her eyes. "It really plays with our minds. Ron suffered most it seemed. Or just couldn't set aside the lies from reality."

"I suppose it would depend on what it was telling him."

"I don't know. He wouldn't say."

"And you are okay?"

"Well, no, I mean the food and supplies help, and I've made it this far. I'm not going to quit on Harry, but it's horrid, Sir. Until we can figure out how to destroy it…"

"Of course. I understand. Ziggy," he called out.

"Woof."

"Could you wear the locket?"

"Woof."

"Oh, no, Sir. I wouldn't ask him to do that."

"I'm thinking of Sirius Black's experience in Azkaban. Being in his animagus form eased the effects of the dementors. I'm wondering if Ziggy would have an … easier time."

"Oh, but, Sir." She eyed Ziggy, who looked very much as if he was thinking about this suggestion. He would want to wear it, too. She just knew that he would. "I'll think about it."

"All right. I should go. I'm usually in my office or, at the very least, visible to others awake by now. My absence could be noticed. Ziggy knows how to find me if he needs to."

"Thank you, Sir. For that, and for everything."

"Don't thank me yet, Miss Granger. Have a good sleep when you get there." She smiled a bit at the phrasing.

And she knew he was gone.

She wasn't sure what to do with a Professor - Headmaster - Snape being kind to her. Talking with her. Bidding her good night. Good night at half past five in the morning. Just the same.

So odd. She'd think she dreamt it, but she knew she was very much awake.

She could sense that Ziggy was … judging her by her hesitancy to give him the locket. It would be a solid plan if it worked to offset the effects. If it didn't though, she'd have someone wearing a cursed object who was already - seemingly anyway - stuck. That didn't seem right or fair. This wasn't his hunt. He didn't ask to come along to hunt these items.

"Let me think about it," she said, truly knowing somehow the look he was currently giving her was telling her to give him the locket. "It's evil, Ziggy."

"Woof."

"All right, go do your thing before we go inside for the day. I might actually have enough to give you a treat."

He nuzzled her thigh with a guttural sounding woof. She gave a soft laugh. She'd accuse him of having a dirty mind, but she wasn't offended.

"Not that kind of treat."

He whimpered. He sounded so disappointed, and she could admit she liked that he was. She liked their closeness. As odd as it might be to anyone else.

God, what Harry would think of her if he ever caught them. They weren't doing things on an hourly or even daily basis, but rarely did two days go by without them finding time alone to do something. Never in her wildest dreams did she picture doing what she was with him. Knowing he was really a wizard or not.

There were times he seemed to know they were short on time and he made her his focus, not even seeming to care whether he finished. What did that mean? She wasn't sure. That wasn't at all among the complaints she'd heard women make about men and sex, usually it was the opposite. On and off with little thought for the woman they were with.

All she knew was that every time he licked her between her legs she wanted more. And only from him. She didn't look at Harry, or Ron when he was with them, and think like that. She had no idea what it meant, but her gut had gotten her this far as far as trusting him. He'd brought them food and money! He'd gone to get that for them.

She knew they would survive without those things. It wasn't fun surviving this way (no doubt it's why Ron left), but she could breathe a little easier today knowing they were stocked for a few days. And the dried foods the headmaster included would last longer than that. And she wouldn't have to steal and risk getting caught! That was her biggest fear. What would Harry do if she got caught?

She laughed as he bounded off away from tonight's campsite. He was smart enough to know not to come and go from the same spot every time. She ran a fingertip along the locket's chain.

It was a sound thought, letting Ziggy wear the locket, but what would she tell Harry? He would want to know where the locket went. He deserved to know where the locket went. Why she would allow a dog to wear it. And then she'd have to explain that Ziggy was in reality a wizard who seemed to be stuck in his animagus form. One who'd shown up in her bedroom.

She could just hear Harry's reaction to that. It would not go over well.

She sighed, waiting for him to get back before going into the tent to see about breakfast. She had eggs and bread and cheese and vegetables and potatoes … God, her stomach was growling just thinking about such a breakfast.

"Thank you, Ziggy," she whispered again before setting about her task of making breakfast. He brushed against her thigh, so she knew he'd heard her.

Return to Top

Part 2 | Part 4

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com