***Chapter Nine***
June 2022

Severus watched as Frank Longbottom approached him. He could see the hesitancy in the other man's eyes. Severus was hesitant himself. He knew why the other man was walking toward him, and wanted none of it. This was exactly why he hadn't set foot on Hogwarts property until today, a day he had no choice about doing so. He'd avoided a face to face conversation with the wizard and his wife for almost sixteen years now.

He'd led a very private life, letting his wife do all that she wanted in the magical world. Yes, he allowed himself to be dragged along to Christmas dinners with the Potters or Weasleys. Only when he was assured it wasn't some public affair where hundreds would be gathered. Balls the Minister had tried to rope him into going? Hadn't done it. He thought the first one, before they'd married, that she'd call it quits with him when he told her there was no convincing him to be put on display in such a manner. Oddly, she hadn't balked. Odd, because he expected her to push. For a fight to result. For her to leave. She had, the day of, ensured he still wished to stay home and that he was all right with her going unchaperoned. (She hadn't said unchaperoned, but her question was obvious.) Other than a few dinners with people he knew and tolerated, he'd remained reclusive. Everyone accepted it, even if they didn't like it very much.

Severus Snape had earned the right not to be a people person. His wife talked very capably for both of them, and was much better at doing it politely.

That meant Frank and Alice Longbottom had not had the occasion until today, his oldest son's last day at Hogwarts, to talk to Severus about what he'd done for them.

He wished he could say he didn't remember vividly the day that Neville Longbottom was reunited with his mentally whole and capable parents. Or the hug the wizard had gifted him with. He'd be lying, though. He remembered it, and likely would for the rest of his life. And still grew… flustered remembering the hug. It had been off putting, yet felt exceptionally rewarding at the same time. A very foreign feeling for Severus. Especially with no … pain or anything involved. He figured something out, tested it on various subjects, it worked, and Neville Longbottom was willing for his parents to be the first people to try it.

"Severus, there you are," Frank said. "Alice and I placed bets on whether you'd even show here today."

"It was either show up, or have Hermione curse me. I prefer to live the rest of my days with my wife not estranged from, or angry with, me. So here I am."

Frank gave one of those half smiles. The kind that meant he wasn't altogether sure whether Severus was joking or not. The man had obviously not seen his wife truly angry. He should count himself lucky.

"It appears my grandson and your son are friends."

Severus had indeed noticed that his oldest son, Robert, and Neville's middle son were friendly.

"It appears so. Not surprising with as close as Hermione and Neville still are."

Severus could admit, as with quite a few things in his life, he had been wrong about Neville Longbottom. He'd started out slow, but had become a wizard Severus firmly thought could lead by example.

"Well, I won't keep you. I just truly was surprised to see you here. And I've never gotten a chance to actually thank you."

"No thanks necessary, Frank."

His eyes sought his wife on the grounds among the throngs of students, staff, and loved ones in attendance. He didn't like being thanked. Appreciation. He didn't know how to react to those things. Not from anyone but his wife anyway. No ulterior motives. It was utterly bizarre.

There she was.

His wife.

The very reason Frank and Alice were in the functioning state they were presently. He'd gotten the credit, but it was all her idea. She smiled at him with a slight nod, and he took a deep breath. He could do this. For her. For his son. He could play nice with the masses.

"I'm only sorry it took as long as it did."

"You were busy."

He hadn't been that busy, but it was nice of the man to give him that out. He just truly hadn't thought of it. His wife had though. It was what made her an exceptional healer to this day. Anyone who might be helped she tried to help. And she wasn't afraid to think past normal wizarding solutions.

"Is this your first time back?" Frank asked.

Severus fought back the urge to be snarky and short. This man who, forty years ago, wouldn't have looked twice at him. No, he hadn't made fun of him as the Marauders had, but Severus wagered the man never even noticed Severus despite their being classmates.

And yet, wasn't it up to people exactly like them to show that the past didn't have to be indicative of how the present had to be lived? That people could change? That biases could be left behind?

"It is. I wish I could say it's easier than expected, but it is not."

"I can imagine it's not. Neville has told me things over the years."

"I'm sure that he has. He lived through many things. He acted bravely on many occasions."

"Will you return for your daughter's graduation?"

Catlynn was four years behind Robert. "I imagine I'll have to. She'll expect me to be here, if for no other reason."

There'd be no way out since he'd come for Robert's today.

"Not before then?"

"Doubtful."

Frank extended his hand then and Severus took it, seeming to accept Severus' answer for what it was.

"I won't keep you. I've been told small talk is not your favourite pastime. I just wanted to finally say thank you in person. And to let you know that people would like to see more of you."

Severus nodded. He was aware. He wasn't ever going to be all in with the magical world again. Chances were he'd be gradually more present in it, though, as his children grew up and started doing things on their own. He couldn't very well never see them again, and while they didn't hate growing up in muggle Cokeworth (proof that it wasn't the house at all, but rather what was done inside of its walls), they were very much magical people!

He made his way to his wife. He didn't quite glare to keep anyone else from approaching him, but it was close. Obviously, people got the hint. He saw the curious looks on their faces. That couldn't be helped. He wanted to be near her for one. He also knew people would not approach him if he wasn't standing alone.

"Severus," Minerva said. "It's good to see you finally back at Hogwarts."

Hogwarts.

For nearly thirty years he'd called it home. First as a student, and then as an educator.

He'd fled Cokeworth, assuming Hogwarts was the answer to all of his hopes and dreams. More than that, his prayers.

It had let him down.

He still loved it and all it had to offer, but the rose would forever be off the bloom for him when it came to the castle and its significance.

"It's good to be back. I wish I could say that I miss it, but my wife has done such a good job making our house a home that I haven't wished to be anywhere but there."

"To hear you say that, Severus. If I had any doubts that healing is where Hermione belonged you have quelled them."

"Well, I should hope you haven't had doubts as to her chosen career path the past twenty years, Minerva."

"No, but one can wonder about chosen career paths, and whether they are the truly right ones."

"I have no doubt, Minerva, that Hermione is exactly where she should be, doing her part to ensure the wizarding world, both everyone individually she treats and as a whole, is better and stronger than when she started treating them. I speak from personal experience."

****

Robert and Catlynn were in their sitting room, waiting for their parents. Neither realized Severus had come into the room yet. They were about to leave on their yearly summer vacation with their grandparents. It would likely be one of Robert's last, Severus mused. A thought for another day, not that he minded the evidence that life went on.

"Is that what I think it is," Catlynn whispered, pointing at the mantel over their fireplace. Severus smirked because, of course, she was the first to notice it.

Robert's eyes followed his sister's finger, and Severus watched as his son's eyes widened. He'd read about it, certainly. He would never have seen it in person, but he would know that it had to be what Catlynn suspected it was. No other potion looked like it. Both he and his sister would know that, given who their father was. They had no choice but to have that knowledge.

"Father," Robert said when Severus finally joined them.

"Yes?"

"Why is there a bottle of Felix Felicis on the mantel?"

"You noticed that, hmm?"

"Cat did, actually."

Their father took a moment to kiss the top of Catlynn's head much as he still did with her mother.

"Of course she did," he said with a low chuckle, glancing at their mother who had just joined them, too.

"I found it, actually, and decided it deserved to be on display."

"Why?" Robert asked before his sister could. He was likely wondering how his dad could lose a potion such as it.

"Well," he said, glancing at their mother who shrugged.

They didn't lie to their children, but neither knew just how low Severus had been twenty-two years ago. There was no reason for them, too. He realized mental health could be inherited, but he firmly believed his issues had mostly been external with low self-esteem thrown into the mix. Things his wife insured he'd received support for. (And truly hadn't been insulted when he'd refused to unload twenty years of misdeeds to her when he had become ready for that step in the healing process.)

"A couple decades ago, Robert, before I was married to your mother but after the war, I was in a pretty dark place. I was hurt and confused. In a very weak frame of mind and spirit. I made that very potion intent on ending my life, but instead it lived up to its name of being liquid luck and made me see that your mother would give me a reason to want to live. It didn't happen overnight, improvement I mean. Slowly, though, I grew stronger and more accepting of not just living, but my past that had led me to that moment. It got shelved downstairs afterward with other things that I no longer needed. While I was cleaning out my stores I found it. I thought it deserved a prominent place because without it, not only would I not be here but neither would the two of you."

"Oh," he said.

"As it's been over twenty years it's efficacy is next to nothing, but I thought leaving the potion in the vial was more aesthetically appealing than an empty one."

"You really took it, Daddy?"

He smiled that his daughter still called him Daddy. He'd heard a few say she was too old for it, but it suited her. And their relationship. He was her daddy, and always would be, even if she was every bit as insufferable as her mother had been at this age.

"I did."

There were tears in her eyes as she stood from the sofa and walked to the mantel.

"Put a stasis on it, Daddy," she said.

"Why, sweetheart?" He, of course, could, and likely would, do as she asked.

"Because I don't ever want the luck to run out."

He walked to her then, casting the appropriate spell that would "freeze" the vial's ingredients.

"I'm not going anywhere for a very long time, Cat. I don't need a potion to know that to be true, but your wish is my command."

"Thank you," she whispered, so likely only he heard it.

"You're welcome," he replied just as softly.

"Now, who's ready for Alaska? I think I heard your mother mention something about polar bears and seals."

Robert didn't respond, but Severus could see that his son was interested. Cat's not overly softly squeal of delight was proof enough that she was. These summer trips were looked forward to by all six of them, even if Robert thought he was getting too old for them.

It was hard to believe that in a few years they could be including Robert's wife and possibly a grandchild on a trip.

He met Hermione's gaze. His wife was watching him lovingly, as if she knew exactly what he'd just been thinking about. And maybe she did. She didn't need legilimency to read him pretty clearly after this long.

"Are you ready, too, Wife? Your parents will be waiting for us, I'm sure."

She bit her lower lip and her eyes darkened a smidge, a look that he knew was only for him.

"For the trip," he clarified with a wink. That she still looked at him in such a way was both amazing and disconcerting at the same time. Only because he wasn't convinced on a day to day basis that he deserved all of this.

He glanced at the dusty bottle of Felix Felicis and realized that he accepted that, while he may not understand it, all of this was indeed meant to be his. With this witch by and on his side.

Albus had been right in his praise of love and its virtues.

He was a lucky man indeed.

~The End~

Return to Top

Part 8

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com