***Chapter Seventeen***
June 1999

Hermione quickly became a favorite among the staff, which Severus suspected was the case originally. He did not require her help, not really, so she floated from class to class listening to the lessons or helping when assistance was needed. She was willing to roll her sleeves up and get her hands dirty no matter the subject matter. (Except divination. She wouldn't get near Trelawney for anything.)

He thought for a moment the morning after her first night here that she would leave before they even had a chance to spend the summer together.



He was in his bathroom shaving after waking up in probably the most exceptional way (and mood) that he could ever recall. They'd showered together afterward. Now she was sitting on the counter, watching him. Deeply enough it made him a little uneasy to handle his straight edge razor. Looking at him like that the morning after couldn't be a good sign. Could it?

She bit her lower lip, opened her mouth as if to say something, and then went back to biting her lower lip.

"Spit it out, Hermione," he said finally.

"I just," she shrugged, glancing away from him.

His heart sank at her body language. She was rethinking their relationship having taken this turn. Or she had not found it as exceptional as he had and decided she didn't want him.

"I'm sorry," she murmured.

"For?" he asked, swallowing deeply.

She cleared her throat softly and ran a finger through a shaving cream droplet that had fallen onto the countertop next to her.

"You know, I planned everything out last night."

"Yes," he said, knowing he sounded cautious. She was a planner. It's what she did, and excelled at, so he expected that she hadn't just decided to get into his bed in only his shirt on a whim.

"I did not plan for Harry to come here. I guess I should have, it's still his home."

"It happened."

She lifted her head, meeting his gaze. "I didn't mean what I said."

His heart hammered in his chest. Did he want to ask the obvious question? No, but he had to. "You said a lot of things last night, Hermione."

"About him. About us."

Oh.

His eyes widened in understanding. She thought he'd be … upset at her comment about Harry joining them. He supposed that could have been the path he took

"You think I'm upset with you about what I knew to be a joke? You think I would have made love to you a second and third time if I thought at all that you legitimately desired for my guardian to join us?"

"You did?"

"Of course, Hermione. In none of our encounters, then or now, have I ever been left with the impression you thought of him as anything but a brother. So, I didn't imagine you wanted your brother to join us anymore than I wanted my guardian to."

"Yes, but…"

"Hermione. It's fine. Truly. Have you really been thinking about this since then?"

"Well, you didn't ask me…"

"I didn't have to."

"I just felt so stupid that I didn't think to shut the door when you came into our bedroom. So, I guess that I was embarrassed that I hadn't taken that into account. I hadn't ever read in a book or overheard anyone talk about what they did when someone walked in on them…"

He smirked then, immensely relieved at the turn in this conversation.

"Hermione, it's fine."

"That's good, because I don't want to go to Brazil."

He drew away from his spot at the counter and stepped between her legs, a hand dropping to her hips when she accommodated him. She was wearing his shirt again and he thought he rather liked her dressed in nothing but it. He hoped she wore exactly this frequently over the summer.

"I assure you that I have no desire to share you either, Hermione."

"Thank God," she whispered.

He chuckled softly, kissing her. Her nose was scrunched a bit as he drew away until he used his towel to wipe off the spots of shaving cream kissing her resulted being transferred from his face to her.

"You were nervous. Admittedly, I was, too. I was worried that I wouldn't live up to your expectations. If I hadn't been I may have taken that particular comment more to heart than I did. At the moment, though, I wanted to hex the wizard for walking in. I was also more concerned you were going to be embarrassed or think that we would have no privacy despite Harry no longer living here."

"Okay. I just. I didn't want you thinking that I thought that way about him. Or that I thought you'd do that. I know how much he means to you. That I'd even remotely suggest…"

"I don't. We're fine." He drew away a bit. "We are, right?"

"Yes," she said and the colour on her cheeks told him that they were.



And so, life went on as planned with her staying with him for the summer.

Harry assured him that he would never come by unannounced or uninvited again. Severus assured him he was welcome anytime, but the younger wizard seemed to understand that their dynamic had changed and notice would be welcome. They were very thorough in getting acquainted with one another, in and out of their bed.

She got invited to tea by Minerva and to the Three Broomsticks with Minerva and the other female professors. Hagrid, who Severus knew by now Hermione was extremely fond of, beamed at the witch whenever she stopped by his hut for tea and for a game of fetch with Fang. Hermione had shared more than one memory of her times at Hagrid's hut and it was clear the half giant was just as fond of her now as he had been originally. Perhaps more so because she was nearly twenty when he first met her this time versus the eleven originally.

Severus wasn't sure how many more years Fang would be in residence at Hogwarts. He was getting slower and slower every day it seemed. That concept seemed to bother his witch when he'd said just that in a casual comment when discussing her day with the half giant, leading him to wonder just how much time she'd spent with the gamekeeper originally. He guessed what memories she had shared were just the tip of the iceberg of what she had stored away in that mind of hers.

Today was the last formal day of the school year. Soon he would no longer have to worry about a student seeing or hearing something they shouldn't between his witch and him.

Lupin, the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, had enlisted Hermione, Harry, and Severus to duel. Harry was going to duel any students who volunteered and when the volunteers were finished he would duel Hermione so that the students could see first hand the differences in one who had been specifically trained with wandless magic.

Lupin seemed to think that was important.

Whoever of the two was left standing would then take on Severus.

Severus was quite certain Remus had no idea what he was signing Harry up for. Severus wasn't even totally sure to be honest, though Remus enlisted her assistance in his Defense Against the Dark Arts class more frequently than any of the other professors so maybe he did have an idea.

She had shown him memories of the final battle she'd lived through originally, but it was hard to know how she'd do in a duel. Or in this timeline for that matter. His Harry hadn't lived what her Harry had. His Harry had no memories of past battles or skirmishes to know how she might react.

A dozen or so students had signed up, which Remus seemed pleased with. Normally he did not stay overnight at Hogwarts, but these past couple of nights he had done so as he and Hermione worked with the students who'd signed up. Harry didn't since they'd be dueling him.

As a result, Hermoine got to see little Edward Lupin more than once and Severus thought he might just be in trouble judging by the look in her eyes at the sight of the baby. Well, toddler now he supposed. He was, now that he thought about it, the same age Harry was when he became his guardian.

That made him feel very nostalgic and just a little old.

Did he really want to go through it again? Nappy changes, toilet training, spit up on his robes at the most inopportune moment (and scourgify just didn't cut it sometimes), and everything else? It was the first time since their encounter at Easter that he'd seen her with a child not of Hogwarts' school age. For that matter, it was the first time he'd seen her interact with a small child at all. No one in his circle, or hers for that matter, had them.

Hypothetically saying he wanted to, to have children with her, was not the same thing as seeing evidence that she liked babies and likely would truly want one or two of her own. Their own.

She looked more comfortable holding Edward than Severus thought he'd looked holding Harry. Was it just innate to her? He had no idea. He knew it hadn't been to him. She hadn't brought up Edward once. He hadn't either. As if both recognized it was something he needed to figure out on his own.

"I see your mind working, Severus," Remus said as Harry and Hermione were playing with young Master Lupin.

"Mm," he said.

He opened his mouth and then shut it quickly. He was not making the same mistake twice.

"What is that look for?"

"The last time I opened my mouth on this subject I almost lost her."

Remus chuckled, glancing from Severus to Hermione and then to his son. He nodded his head as if he knew what Severus was thinking about.

"It is scary, isn't it?" the werewolf asked.

"I'm sorry?"

"You've already raised a child. You're done as are most of the others our age. Those that are aren't looking at starting over. They're looking at their youngest going to Hogwarts soon, not in thirteen or fourteen years."

"Lupin…" he said, cautiously. He did not want to have this conversation with one of his former tormentors.

"Do you love her, Severus?"

"More than life itself," he admitted.

Lupin was quiet, looking very much as if he had no idea what to say, and Severus glared at him. "What?"

"Oh, nothing. I just wasn't expecting that answer."

"What were you expecting?"

"Something bordering on dismissive. Non-committal despite the fact it's obvious to anyone with eyes who has some familiarity with you that you do."

"So why ask?"

"Do you think it doesn't scare the shit out of me? Never mind marriage, to someone also younger if you're not missing the parallels," he said, elbowing Severus gently. "I, a werewolf, have a child. What are you going to pass onto a child? Your preciseness? Your genius?"

"You would do it again, knowing others look at you?"

"Because I have a young wife and a small child? Of course they look at me," he shrugged. "She's worth it so yes, of course I would. I, however, didn't raise a child already."

"Mm," he said.

"Teddy loves her."

"Does he?" he asked.

He hadn't realized she'd seen the boy that much. He supposed if she was close to Remus, Tonks, and young Edward in her first timeline she would strive to have that again here.

"Yes. She and Tonks are rather friendly and they've had tea a few times."

"Of course they have," he said.

"Don't you want her to make friends?"

"Of course I do. I'm pleased that she is so accepted."

"When you were not," Remus said.

"More or less," Severus said. "I can admit some of that was my own doing."

"I didn't help," Remus said.

Severus shrugged. He was not going down this road with Lupin today of all days. He was not going to embark upon rehashing their own days as students here at Hogwarts.

"Is she any good?" Remus asked.

"I'm sorry?" Severus said and Remus laughed heartily enough several, including Hermione and Harry, stopped what they were doing to look at them.

"At dueling."

"Oh, I presume so," he said.

"You don't know?"

"I know Hermione and she doesn't do anything half-arsed so I would presume dueling is no different."

"Well, let's get started then, shall we? Everyone's here to watch dueling, not us talking."

"I'm following your lead, Lupin."

"And Severus, I'm no expert myself, but you'd make a good father. Sirius and I expected you to fail with Harry as did I'm sure just about everyone else. Yet despite those doubts he has grown to be a good, caring, and capable wizard. He also clearly loves and favours you. He's told me he asked to call you father and why you didn't feel it was right of him to do so. If you did that for someone else's child, honoured someone who to those who know the facts would say didn't deserve that. Just imagine what you'd do for your own."

"Mm," he said, eyes following Hermione as she played a game with her hands with Edward. He looked then to Harry, picturing him at this age and how much time had passed. How much older he was and yet Lupin was doing it.

The smile on her face. The look in her eye when Edward laughed. And laughed loudly at whatever she and Harry said to him, in sheer child-like delight. Those things gave him the answer to the question that had been plaguing him the past week or so.

Yes. He wanted it. He wanted her so if that meant children. Then yes.

He took his seat in the booth with Lupin and Filius, who was acting as judge of the duels as well. The stands were rather full despite this being a voluntary activity. They weren't as full as they were for quidditch matches, but still more than a few had come to watch the action. He saw faces in attendance that didn't come out for quidditch matches. Of course, it was much warmer at the end of June than it was for most of those.

Harry made pretty easy work out of the volunteers. Not unexpected. He doubted there was anyone, even the participants themselves, who expected to beat Harry Potter in a duel. He and the three judges offered each student constructive criticism on where they could improve.

"She's quite serious-looking, isn't she," Filius said.

Severus simply nodded. What else was there to say? She was rather serious. He assumed that was part of the reason they got along.

He'd cast a glamour on her arm so her scar looked like just a scar from a wound instead of that word since she was going without her robes for the duel. It was the last of the scars to still remain visible. Severus' salve helped greatly and it did appear to be fading as the others had. It was just stubborn about doing so it seemed.

She wanted to pull her hair back in a braid, but Severus had encouraged her not to. He could admit he preferred her hair down, but it was more than that. He was looking forward to seeing it and the reaction of the spectators to it while she dueled. Her hair when she was casting was almost as interesting to watch as she was. She'd left it down, he noticed now, and a piece of his heart warmed at the realization that she likely did it for him. He knew she was self-conscious as the breeches and top she wore left her scar exposed. She didn't want layers or a robe to get in her way, though. He had to trust she knew what she was doing.

"Should we ask who you want to win?" Remus murmured.

Severus sighed softly because it wasn't Harry and likely Remus knew that.

"Draco's here, too," Remus said, nodding off to the side.

Of course he was.

Lucius was as well, Severus noticed.

Interesting.

He hadn't seen either wizard enter the grounds. Showed how well he'd been paying attention. He noticed Black in the stands earlier. That wasn't a surprise. Despite their differences and the fact he hadn't wanted custody of his godson eighteen years ago, Sirius was good with Harry. And seemed to thrive on being a part of the wizard's life.

She was definitely a more defensive dueler than offensive, wandlessly and wordlessly combating most of the things Harry sent her way. He wondered, despite the differences in this Harry and the Harry from her memories, if she still knew him well enough to be able to anticipate what he might cast.

Harry's duels to this point had lasted fifteen minutes, twenty-five had been the longest. He and Hermione, though, went for over an hour, closer to ninety minutes.

As he'd imagined her hair was just as fun to watch as her casting. Harry seemed to think so, too, as it was evident a time or two he wasn't sure what to focus on. Finally, though, his witch was victorious by casting her patronus. While Harry (and pretty much everyone in attendance) was distracted by the all-too-real looking Thunderbird flying and screeching directly toward Harry Potter she cast an expelliarmus to disarm him.

The witch and wizard shook hands and Hermione handed him his wand back. She bowed politely to her Thunderbird, whispering something to it before it took off. It flew once around the stands with a loud screech before disappearing.

"Impressive," Remus said.

"You should have seen it the first time I saw it. In my bedroom. If I hadn't seen it come through the wall…"

"Yes, I can imagine that would have been a bit unsettling."

"Indeed," Severus said.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"This is what we committed to, is it not?"

"I could ask Filius? Claim since you've worked with her on dueling you feel it's an unfair advantage."

"Nonsense, this is the first time I've seen her duel."

"All right, Severus. Have it your way," Remus said. "I was giving you an out."

"She would not want me to do that."

Lucius made his way toward Severus as everyone took a few moments for the final duel to take place.

"Severus," Lucius said, offering his hand.

Severus took the offered hand. He hadn't seen his friend since Easter. They'd exchanged an owl, but that was the extent of their communication since he'd asked Hermione to send her patronus to Malfoy Manor. It wasn't altogether unusual during the school year for two months to go by in between visits.

"Lucius, I didn't realize you were going to be here today."

"Draco told me that Harry was dueling and that the winner was going up against you. He mentioned that he was going to watch so I thought I'd tag along. You're not really going to duel your witch, are you?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Severus…"

"If I have someone take my spot she will be insulted. Trust me. I know her."

"It wasn't that long ago…"

"And yet she is here with me for the summer, Lucius, clearly we worked through my talking without thinking through what exactly I was saying."

"So you have decided …"

"If and when I decide something pertaining to my future, Lucius, you will likely be the fourth to know."

"Fourth? Behind…"

"Well, myself, Hermione, and Harry."

"Ah, yes, of course. Have you talked to Harry about children?"

"No, why would I?"

"He may have thoughts on essentially becoming a brother at the age of twenty-one."

"Mm," Severus said.

He'd thought on that, actually, wondering how Harry would respond to a child. There were things Harry knew about Hermione, though, that no one else did. So, Severus liked to believe his charge would understand and welcome any child they had. Whenever they had one.

Silence as Lucius regarded his witch, looking … very much as if he was thinking. Likely thinking things Severus didn't want to know about.

"Were you aware of the scarring on her arm before today?"

Severus inwardly sighed. Of course Lucius would mention it. He was very grateful they'd glamoured her arm now.

"I was," he said.

"A lesser man…"

"She does not have a lesser man nor do her scars take away from her intellect or her attractiveness to me. I bear my own, as do you, Lucius. Hers was at least earned nobly."

He'd struck a nerve with that statement. Both men had scars as a result of their servitude to Voldemort. "Well, I wish you luck, my friend."

"Thank you."

"If you win, you will need it."

Severus shook his head, suspecting his old friend wasn't wrong in that assessment.

"That really is her patronus then?" Lucius asked, gesturing to the sky and where the thunderbird had last been seen.

"Yes. You thought I found someone at Hogwarts who had a thunderbird patronus and had them send it to you as some sort of subterfuge?"

"Well, no, but if anyone could manipulate a patronus…"

Severus scoffed.

"No, trust me, my thought that evening was not of attempting to amuse or startle you."

"I am pretty sure that Draco and ‘Cissy thought that we were under attack."

Severus chuckled softly. He had no doubt it wasn't just Draco and Narcissa Malfoy who thought that. Lucius would never say so.

"It made me realize, though, why you went after her," Lucius said.

"Oh?" Severus asked.

"Casting such a patronus at her age? She is clearly worthy of you, Severus."

"You weren't sure she was until then?"

"I admit ‘Cissy and I had our doubts. It was so … sudden, Severus. It was not a reflection on you or Miss Granger necessarily. Just, for years I've tried to introduce you to witches."

"I did not want other witches."

"Clearly. I am glad that your misunderstanding was settled."

"As am I."

"You settled it the correct way, right?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Well, she's here and still wearing the ring you gave to her. So I assume you came to a mutual agreement on whether your future will consist of children."

"There is no longer any misunderstanding on either of our parts, Lucius. I assure you. I would, however, like to enjoy having a witch to court before I start thinking of anything else."

"Understandable. Well, whatever your intentions with having her send the patronus, you did give all of our guests something to talk about. It was certainly an Easter dinner few will forget."

"Glad I could be of service."



The two wizards parted company and Severus made his way to where they were to meet for their duel, bowing politely at his opponent.

His witch.

The woman he was more than just casually contemplating marrying and creating a family with.

Yes, Harry was his ward and nothing would change that, even the fact he was no longer a minor. This witch, though, could give him what Lupin had. He saw it in the werewolf's eyes.

Belonging.

Family.

Love.

Wholeness.

Harry had given him love, but he had always been somewhat standoffish with just how much love he would accept from Harry.

She smiled at him and he wondered if she knew what he was thinking. If she knew how fetching she looked just now, fresh from a victory, her face flushed from adrenaline.

If I win I get you in the shower.

He arched a brow at her, noticing the rather saucy look in her eyes. No one else would know that look.

And if I win?

Well, some might say that would be you winning.

Quite.

But in the interest of sportsmanship. What would you like as winner?

You on the dining room table naked and blindfolded with accessories.

Accessories? He could almost hear the seductive tone of her voice.

Whipped cream, honey, perhaps some chocolate sauce.

Oh. Sounds like we'll be ending our night in the shower either way.

Yes, but with my winning it will be much more fun getting there.

Deal.

Lupin watched them, shaking his head, seeming to realize that whatever was passing between them was private before he gave them the signal to begin.

She was a formidable opponent. He knew she had memories of seeing him duel that he did not have. She'd mentioned him dueling Lockhart once.

He still couldn't believe Albus had ever hired that ponce regardless of the timeline.

She did not seem to try to use those to her advantage, though. She did get more offensive with him than she had with Harry.

Cheating, perhaps, but during a lull when they both seemed to be catching their breath as the duel was going on ninety minutes, he sent a thought her way.

I can almost taste your quim full of whipped cream. Your hardened nipples coated with it and a line going from each of them to your nub and below for me to lick and suck off while you come undone around my fingers and tongue, sticky from your juices and the sugary treat.

Merlin, he loved how receptive she was to such an idea. He loved that he could share such an idea with her and she would be receptive. And it was clear she was. He smirked then as she closed her eyes briefly, probably picturing exactly what he was saying.

He took the opportunity to claim her wand.

You let me win.

You painted a very appealing picture for me to allow you to be victorious, Wizard.

He tilted his head back and laughed heartily, bowing to her as she did to him.

Besides, you're their professor. They should respect you and see you as unbeatable. She set her hand against his forearm, squeezing lightly. They need to know they're safe with you.

You will be here, too, if I have anything to say about it, Witch.

She released his forearm.

"How did you know?" she asked.

"Your hair. You were too calm. I've seen you, and it, in all sorts of states by now."

She laughed softly. "Let's go play nice with the masses."

"Mm. I do plan on collecting my debt."

"Oh, I will ensure you do, Severus Snape."

Several witches approached her and he stepped aside, watching as she spoke to them. Harry was surrounded by people, too. That wasn't unusual for his ward, so he chose to focus on his witch instead.

She was clearly not comfortable with attention, but she engaged in those who approached her (wizards did, too after a while he noticed). He imagined some probably thought she got lucky in beating Harry Potter. Severus knew that she'd won by thinking and that was likely why she'd lived through her experiences during the war.

He turned his focus to Harry for a bit, too, no doubt he as Hermione would do was singing the other's praises versus taking any credit for anything. This witch thought of his ward in another timeline, another lifetime he supposed, as a brother.

Here in this timeline they were both his.

His family. Something he really never had. He and his mum had a more than amicable relationship once her health improved, however, Severus was basically an adult when that happened. And until Voldemort was defeated he was careful not to lead anyone to her.

This, though, these two. He loved them, in very different ways, but he did. And he knew they felt the same toward him. He wasn't quite sure how. He was incredibly lucky that when she regained her memories she chose to come see him instead of going the other route and realizing that she was crazy for having feelings for him. She could have very easily done just that.

The other wizard was who he chose to call family. The witch was who he was choosing to build a future with and expand that family. He had no doubt that one day Harry would meet someone and somehow children would enter the picture, making his family grow more.

No way in hell would he have imagined Harry Potter being a part of his family let alone potentially thinking of said wizard's children as his grandchildren twenty years ago. Life certainly was curious.

"Did she let you win, Severus?" Albus asked, stepping up beside him.

Severus glanced at his boss and old friend. "You'd have to ask her, Albus."

Albus regarded him, that sparkle in his eyes was there but it looked different today.

"It will be difficult when she goes back to school in the fall."

"I expect that it will," Severus said in agreement.

He knew it would. He planned to enjoy the two months they did have to their fullest and think about the fall later.

"With Harry officially gone now, I have wondered if you plan on leaving us."

"Not yet," he replied. He would not lie and say he hadn't thought about it. Albus knew him better than that, Severus suspected. "For the second time today I find myself telling someone that they will be the fourth person to know if I made such a decision."

"Hermione and?"

"Myself, Hermione, and Harry. This is his home, too. I wouldn't just leave without consulting him."

"You know, eighteen years ago I would never have imagined you liking him let alone loving him, Severus. Whatever reason you had for holding your ground so tenaciously about being his guardian it was the right decision."

"Of course it was. Have you actually met Petunia Dursley, Albus?"

"I have."

"And you question why I wouldn't want her to raise him? Any magical child?"

"I did then. I no longer do. And watching you with this witch. I saw you talking with Remus earlier. You have changed, Severus."

"I should hope so."

"Forgiveness looks good on you."

"And just who do you presume I've forgiven, Albus? The elder Mr. Potter, or you?"

He shook his head, the twinkle in his eye diminishing. "Severus."

"Oh, don't worry, Albus, I am not your judge nor would I wish to be even if I was given the opportunity to do so. You will have one, one day, I am certain of that. That is not my role. If you wish to atone it is far too late to do so with me."

His words pained his employer, Severus could see that clearly in the eyes that for a moment lost their twinkle and glean of happiness that always seemed to be there. Severus felt … momentarily bad, but it was this man's actions that caused him in part to have to wait for his Hermione. Who in their right mind sends seventh years out to hunt horcruxes? Who in their right mind sends them out on such a task without giving them information as if it was some sort of game? The notes and information she'd passed onto him back in 1981 had been her research.

He was guessing, too, the Severus in that timeline had access to Gryffindor's sword all along before it was brought to them. He would have had as headmaster and being in contact with Albus' portrait. He had no doubt when she showed him Harry returning to their camp with the sword that he, his other self, was the one who'd been sent to guide him to it. He'd seen a doe patronus, Hermione said. Odd because his hadn't been a doe since his days as a Hogwarts' student.

He didn't cast them often because his ability to cast one at all would make it obvious his soul wasn't as tainted as it was supposed to be as a follower, and former follower. Truthfully, he enjoyed casting one now and again around people who doubted whether he had truly changed sides at all during the war. His eagle wasn't as corporeal as Hermione's Thunderbird, but it was impressive in its own right.

He supposed it had been after her final visit to him that he'd had reason to cast one and discover the doe had been replaced by an eagle. Had the Severus in her original timeline manipulated his patronus so that Harry Potter would follow it? He had to be aware Harry would know his mother's had been a doe. It was the only thing he could think of.

He didn't miss the implied meaning of it appearing to be that so long after he and Lily had stopped being friends, and ultimately, after her death.

He just now finally understood why she'd asked if he was still in love with Lily Potter nee Evans when they'd first come to Hogwarts together the weekend of Harry's eighteenth birthday festivities. Less than six months prior, according to her returned memories, she'd been told his patronus was a doe, the same as Lily's.

And yet she'd still come to Britain after regaining her memories wanting to see him. That had to mean something, that she had known despite the doe patronus he hadn't truly loved Lily. Not in the romantic way.

Her strength and perseverance humbled him. Her portkeying across the Atlantic Ocean not knowing if he was in love with a ghost was enough to beg her to marry him here and now.

She had scars because of this wizard. He didn't care about them. He truly didn't, but he knew that she did and others like Lucius who saw them would. She was worried someone would say something to him that would make him decide to leave her.

As if.

"Are you leaving Hogwarts then?" Albus' question brought him out of his thoughts. Perhaps intentionally. He was an astute wizard even without having to use legilimency on him.

"I will give you the same answer I just did moments ago, perhaps you were not paying attention. You will be one of the first to know if I were to decide to make such a choice. I have not made a decision. Now if my performance is somehow lacking and you wish to be rid of me, just say it so that I know after years of servitude and atoning for my misdeeds I am to be released and can start looking for employment elsewhere."

The older wizard watched him, gave a nod, and seemed if Severus wasn't mistaken rather contemplative after Severus made that statement again. He was not planning on leaving, but certainly the ability to do so was an option now when it was not even just a year ago.

He had plans and dreams of what he would do once he could leave Hogwarts. However, as he thought of them over the past year or so since his ward's not so constant presence. He realized those plans had been made toward the beginning of their … arrangement. A time when he was certain that taking care of James and Lily Potter's son was going to be a fate worse than death.

Hermione had asked for so little in exchange for what she was willingly giving up. In fact she had asked for nothing. She had not even really vocalized expecting him to find her. She was willing to give up everything and thought of Harry Potter even ahead of herself. From the glimpses of her memories she shared with him of their relationship previously, it was an ongoing thing that she did this. Putting Harry Potter above all else.

His feelings now eighteen years later about what he might do and how he would obviously be glad to be rid of the Potters' child were quite different than when he'd originally imagined what he could do with his life when he was done fulfilling a promise to a witch who might not even remember he existed. Forget remembering he existed, she might not have wanted him.

Entirely possible.

"There are things we need to discuss, Severus. Sooner rather than later it seems. I'll review our calendars and arrange a meeting."

Albus took his leave then. Severus watched him for a moment, wondering if the wizard was actually contemplating releasing him of his duties as potions professor. It would be just like him, too.

Severus wasn't sure if he'd given the older wizard something to think about or not. Severus himself wasn't an innocent. He'd done and had crimes to pay for whenever the time came to be judged. He liked to think he'd atoned for them, that he was viewed to whomever it mattered as sincere in acknowledging his guilt and attempts at making things right over his early adult life decisions.

Albus, however, had far more than he did. And he'd supposedly been on the side of the Light the entire time! Severus was sure he didn't even know the entirety of the man's actions over the years. Would the previous timeline count against him? That would be interesting to find out.



The students were gone. Hogwarts was eerily devoid of the sounds and smells that had made it home to him for almost thirty years. He and Hermione were spending a week at his home. It was time he showed her some things.

"What is this?" he asked when she handed him a muggle binder filled with what appeared to be hundreds of looseleaf papers.

"I've decided to major in History and Library Sciences. No law school."

"Okay," he said.

He was unsure what that had to do with the binder she'd handed to him. Were these her notes as to why she'd made such a decision? Some would laugh at the idea, but his Hermione did nothing half-arsed or without weighing all potential consequences. So he could very well see her compiling hundreds of pages to ascertain her career path.

"I've decided that as much as I think legal defense is something the wizarding world needs I'm better suited to perhaps being a paralegal, someone who collects the facts of the case not presenting the case. So I may still pursue that avenue. Maybe with time I could find someone who is magical but practices in the muggle world and convince them to branch out to us."

He nodded. He couldn't argue with that. He knew from her published articles and what he'd seen of her this past year as well as his memories of her that she was a tenacious and meticulous researcher.

"You mentioned a Muggle Studies textbook."

"I did," he said with a nod, recalling that conversation.

She pointed at the binder. It suddenly dawned on him what was in the binder.

"You've written a textbook?"

"Well, the beginnings of one."

"When?"

"What do you mean when?"

"Hermione, you took a full load of courses and spent most every weekend with me. When did you have time to work on a textbook?"

"Oh, well, you had work even when I was here weekends so I kept myself busy," she said, biting her lower lip.

"Mm," he said, opening the binder and seeing her very familiar script looking back at him. He wasn't sure he'd ever admit to her how many times over the years he'd taken her notes out to read them, assuring himself he hadn't hallucinated the whole thing. Those papers along with her book and sandals were the only tangible thing he had to hang onto. "You wish for me to review it?"

"Please," she said.

"I will, of course, be happy to look over anything you've written. I would like a day, however, of no academic pursuits if I may."

"Of course, I just finished the lesson I'd been working on…"

"I understand, Hermione, and I truly am happy to read anything you've written. You know this."

He set it on the table next to his chair and stood, offering her his hand. She took it, smiling shyly.

"I wish I could say that I have in mind what you're thinking but I don't."

"You don't?"

"Not at this immediate moment. That is likely to change, I'm sure. I brought you here for a reason, Hermione."

She smiled, bowing her head a bit.

He led her to his childhood bedroom, waved his wand to remove the spell that made the wall fade away to a door with an electronic keypad on it. The spell was keyed to his wand. He had a secondary, unregistered wand that would work, too. That wand was kept in the hidden compartment Hermione's copy of Carrie and her sandals were in. If his wand ever got broken he needed to be sure he could get into this room.

"First, hold up your wand," he said.

She did without question. He loved that about her. He performed the spell that would now tie her wand to the area as well.

"The code is the date we first met. Do you remember it?"

"For me, or for you?"

"I never told you the date it was in my time so for you."

She entered in 063098 and just like that the door slid open. It was not a full-sized room. He had actually redone the wall of his closet himself the summer of 1979 while his father was at the bar. It hadn't been difficult to do and his mother had helped him magically when he told her what he was doing and why. There was no furniture or anything in the very small room. It was just stacks of papers and what not he wanted to ensure were kept safe: from magical detection, fire, and prying eyes. It was essentially a filing cabinet without the drawers.

"My mother is the only other one who knows this exists, however, she cannot get in here. Her request. I would have granted her access, but she didn't want it."

"Oh?"

"Accio Hermione's file," he said. And just like that a sealed legal pouch flew into his hands.

"You gave me tips."

"Oh, yes," she said with a nod as if she just remembered that.

"As I said, I invested some for myself, my mother, you, and well eventually Harry. These are your papers. Everything I invested in, you are as well. Some," he shrugged. "Weren't as successful as others."

She chuckled softly.

"However, quite a few in addition to the two you named have been profitable."

"I'm glad. Harry? I didn't tell you until after Apple's IPO to take him…"

"I may have altered his paperwork," he said with a shrug. "The perks of being a wizard and nothing back then was computerized."

"Why?"

"I know he has the Potter fortune, but I thought it was important that he be established in the muggle world should he choose to live as one. I would imagine he may have questioned why I did it then if he were to have seen it before I told him the truth, but other than the two of you no one would pay that close attention."

"You obviously did very well, Severus."

"The paperwork can remain here if you'd like. This space is fireproof and undetectable unless someone knows to look for it. I have enhanced the protection spells and wards on it Mother originally cast."

"Sure, of course," she said.

"I just want you to know where it is, that it's here, that you can be self-sufficient if you care to be."

"Are you trying to be rid of me, Severus? Have I done something wrong already?"

He chuckled, but then realized by the look on her face that she was serious. Oh this witch.

"No, of course not, Hermione. I just want you to know this is here. That you have choices."

"That is a relief," she said, turning from the closet to look at the room. Did she really think after this long that he'd just send her on her way? In truth, he was a little concerned she would come to realize that she was relatively well off without him, or any man, and go on her way.

"So, this was your bedroom?"

"It was," he said. "Harry has what was mum's sewing room when I was a child. Not that it ever got used as such much by the time I came along."

She looked around then.

"It's not much. I've modernized things a bit from when my parents first purchased it, of course, but as I spend very little time here…"

"It's fine, Severus, and even as is it is a place we could make our own if we wished to."

"Do you?"

They hadn't quite gotten to the point of talking about what they expected as far as a future went for them. He thought it was … implied and yet he kept waiting for her to wake up one day and realize committing to him was an enormous error in judgment.

She glanced at him then. He saw confusion in her eyes and he hated that he put it there.

"I wear your ring," she said, gesturing to the ring he'd given her at Christmastime. It was an answer, yet it wasn't completely. It was sufficient for now at any rate.

"What are your plans then, Hermione?"

She shrugged. "I still have at least two years of university left, possibly three since I decided on the second major late. I have an appointment with Minister Blanche's office this week."

That surprised him. She hadn't mentioned an appointment at the Ministry of Magic. Had she? Had she and he'd been so caught up in the end of the year and the dueling that he hadn't paid close enough attention to what his witch was doing?

"For?"

The question came because he truly had no idea what she'd want with the Minister of Magic, or the Ministry as a whole.

"I'm hoping that I can do an internship the next few summers as an archivist."

"Ambitious."

Unsurprising, but that she thought to schedule the appointment on her own was impressive. His witch wasn't going to ask for his help to succeed in London's wizarding world and he liked that about her. He would help her, of course, but that she wasn't sitting here waiting for him to do so made him love her all the more.

"Well, yes, you've known that is the case."

"I have. I ask because Albus has informed me that he is thinking of retiring."

"I'm sorry?"

He chuckled. Her surprise was about how he felt when Albus Dumbledore had dropped that bombshell on him.

"I know you heard me. It was part of the reason I invited you here today. Aside from it being time, I mean. Privacy. I can be assured no one but you will hear or know what we're discussing. He wants me to take over as headmaster."

"Oh," she said.

She didn't seem surprised. She did seem cautious, though. He understood why.

In her first timeline he had taken over as headmaster after Albus' death it sounded like.

A death he himself had been responsible for occurring. He doubted that time as headmaster with Voldemort in charge had been … pleasant in the least. Likely, though, it would have kept him away from Malfoy Manor where he'd taken over as his headquarters. She'd told him some things she'd heard while they stayed with Bill Weasley after their escape from Malfoy Manor as to what went on at Hogwarts.

The Carrows.

They were incestuous and sadistic even without Voldemort in charge. He'd shuddered at the thought of those two being in the same proximity as even one student let alone teaching them. Students he was supposed to protect.

"His plan was just to up my work load until I realized I was doing most of his duties. He seems to think that will no longer work. He told me at all, I believe, because he fears you will entice me away from Hogwarts."

"I love Hogwarts!"

"I know you do, it knows you do. Albus Dumbledore it seems is gratefully in the dark about such a thing being true."

"So what are you asking me?"

"Would you want to continue residing at Hogwarts? With me? Permanently? If you were working as an author and historian, I can't imagine that the Ministry wouldn't allow you to work remotely from there. You are Hermione Granger, the brightest witch of her age. All of your Ilvermorny professors have said so, your articles published drive that opinion home as being fact not fiction. They'd be foolish to let something like you working from Hogwarts prevent them from employing you. For that matter, be an independent researcher. Why limit yourself to just the British Ministry of Magic. Your work would speak for itself and I can guarantee you that you would be highly sought after."

"That idea does have merit. How long are we talking until he retires?"

"This next school year will be his last. He would be available for consultation afterward if I need it, but he's over one hundred and has spent over thirty of those years at war. I think he's looking forward to not being around students for a change."

"I can imagine."

"I suspect you, well us, and my perhaps being enticed away from Hogwarts moved his plans forward a bit. His options if I leave would be from within and I can't see anyone else doing it truthfully. Minerva would certainly be an acceptable candidate, but I don't think she wants the responsibility. So that would leave hiring someone, and as critical as I may be of him I can't see him doing that. I admit I'm not sure I'd want him to have to do that either. My love for Hogwarts thinks hiring an outsider would be a mistake."

"No," she said. "I mean, I agree, the idea of someone who doesn't love it is very wrong."

"It would be a commitment. I mean, obviously if I realized the position wasn't what I wanted that would be something to deal with. However, we're talking the next fifty or sixty years, possibly more. A child of ours would grow up there."

"Harry grew up there."

"For his safety and privacy. If he had been any other toddler I may have walked a different path. It is not easy, Hermione, living here. You and I can leave if we choose to. We can read a book or what have you to keep us busy. A child cannot do that. He had no friends really other than Draco. There might be some magical children in Hogsmeade, but overall it's a rather lonely existence. And as far as you. I was quite secluded myself, which I think you're like me and can't say that's a bad thing. However, social interaction is somewhat important and you do seem to enjoy friends. I watched you on the day of the duels and you were so vibrant and animated while talking with the students."

"I'd have the professors and other staff, and well, maybe you could change the tide with the ages of those professors. You'd have to hire someone to replace you, for example, and I know I've heard Minerva mention she's thought it might be time. I'm not suggesting replacing everybody," she said, holding up her hand as if she realized that was exactly what it sounded like she was suggesting. "I'm just saying, the reins for Hogwarts' future would be in your hands then, Severus. And maybe as a result of it being so our child wouldn't be the only one in the castle."

"Valid point," he said.

"Are we only having one?"

He stared at her, panicking for a moment. How was he supposed to answer that question? He was still coming to terms with the fact that this witch actually wanted a child with him let alone the potential for more than one.

"Do you want more than one?"

She laughed then. "Deflecting?"

"Somewhat, admittedly. I was presuming…"

"Mm," she said. "I think two would be nice. Just so as you say they're not completely alone in a castle."

"So, two?"

"I would think that would be more than enough. I never envisioned more than two, just simply not wanting a child to grow up alone."

"I can understand that," he said, thinking about his own childhood here in this home in fact.

"Oh, and I know someone who would be interested in being a potions apprentice and possibly a permanent position once completed."

"Prey tell, Witch?"

"Aiyanna."

"She would come to Scotland?"

"She would go wherever a good job awaited her, Severus, and truly she does not enjoy her family."

"I will be in touch with Professor Brown then to see of her interest. She'd be under me at first. Whoever I'd hire would have to take over her contract."

"Sure."

"Let me read this Muggle Studies book you've begun this week and I may have other suggestions for you."

"Oh?"

"I won't deny some of our texts are rather antiquated. Some things the old ways are fine, but there may be some room for updating."

"Severus…"

"You could meet with each professor at Hogwarts, find out if they're happy with their textbooks. Are there things they'd like to see added? Removed? Talked about or described differently? Maybe supplemental texts based on grade level or areas of focus. Perhaps an introductory text for children prior to their arrival at Hogwarts. We could go from there. You are gifted in every subject if I am not mistaken so it's not as if I'm suggesting someone who got a Troll in Charms write a textbook on it. If, as you say, I am to bring Hogwarts into the twenty-first century, I should endeavour to do so with our curriculum as well as our staff. That may be an encouragement to someone I interview, if they know I am thinking of updating things. For that matter," he shrugged. "Other schools may follow suit."

"Are you trying to get rid of me? I cannot imagine any school, other than Ilvermorny perhaps because they know me, embarking on such a task without my being present."

"Present for the interviews with their staff, yes. Present for the writing of the books? No. If you are successful with ours why would they question your methods? And I know you would be. Once that is completed, well, Hermione, you could likely write your ticket to do whatever you please. Education is important to you. Why not use that to improve our education system so that we churn out the best magical beings? With a proper Muggle Studies guide they may just aspire to do things outside the Ministry. Or a guide to what their options are post-Hogwarts. And that wouldn't be a bad thing. There is a whole wide world out there, let them think they might like to explore it. Perhaps your legal representative idea would take hold."

"You're serious."

"Why not? The Hogwarts portion you can do as your schedule allows. Work on the Muggle Studies book while you're getting your degree. I assume there are magical History classes for you at Edinburgh?"

"Yes."

Silence as they both seemed to be thinking over what they'd just talked about.

"You really are serious." she said.

"Why not? Who better than you knows how the education system essentially failed Harry the first go around?"

"Yes, but no one else will know that."

"It does not matter. I'm not suggesting we promote the teaching of the Unforgivables, Hermione. However, someone someday will aspire to do what Grindelwald and Riddle could not finish. It may not be in my lifetime, but it will happen. We cannot live in a bubble where we believe our world is perfect and evil was vanquished with the Dark Lord's death. I'd love next year for there to be a slew of students signing up to duel. So many think they don't need it, never mind that it is an enjoyable sport."

"You're right. I know if Lucius knew I was muggleborn…"

"Yes, well, he doesn't. No one does. Albus likely does, but he'd never tell. You have covered your tracks very well in that regard. The idea that squibs could have been next on Riddle's list was not entirely outlandish."

"I thought it was plausible. I didn't know at the time why I thought it was or why I felt the need to not be openly No-Maj."

"So, I have some reading to do this week then."

"Do I get to make you dinner?"

"Can you do that?"

She rolled her eyes. He chuckled. He wasn't trying to be insulting, merely trying to add some levity to the conversation that was so focused on their future. A future together. She had to know that he was asking her opinion because he saw her at his side (and vice versa), with him in whatever future he took.

"It will be edible. I've never had to cook until going to college so I'm still learning."

"Would you like to learn to do better than edible?"

"Are you volunteering to teach me?"

"I am."

"Then I absolutely want to learn to do better than edible." She stepped toward him, resting her hands on his forearms as she reached up on her tiptoes to kiss him. "I want to ensure I can take care of my wizard in every way."

"Yes, well, if we reside at Hogwarts…"

"You have a home we could escape to once in a while."

"I like the sound of that. Very much so."

He did enjoy the idea that she wanted to care for him and do things for him. He'd never had anyone in his life want to so it was flattering to think she did. And horribly common that he wanted that.

"So am I telling Albus yes?"

"I cannot make that decision for you, Severus, but if you are looking for my stamp of approval. I am not opposed to the idea. You know I love Hogwarts."

"I do, I will let him know then."

"Did you ever in a million years think that is a job you'd be accepting?"

"No," he said simply. "The thought never occurred to me. I'm still not entirely sure why Albus chose me."

"I think it's a logical choice and maybe, like you, he thinks that there needs to be more of an influence on the academics but thinks the Board of Governors won't allow him to make changes. He may realize change needs to be made but not sure how to enact it himself. Or to get people to listen to him."

"And they will allow me?"

"You were a successful spy and guardian to Harry Potter. You are one of the most intelligent wizards the world knows. Not to mention your knowledge of the dark arts is second to none. I also know from my memories that you are immensely strong and powerful, second only to Dumbledore I'd say. And Tom Riddle knew that, Severus. I watch people as they watch you. They know it, even if the second war didn't happen they know how capable you are. They will know there is a reason Albus Dumbledore is turning Hogwarts over to you. Couple that with the fact I would not send you into such a presentation anything but loaded for bear. I'd say yes they will listen to you."

"I appreciate the faith."

"Now shall we dress for dinner at your mother's?"

It wasn't the first time the two witches in his life had met. He was glad that they seemed to get along. Hermione knew things about her and his childhood that many did not, but she never treated his mother disrespectfully or as if she blamed his mother for anything. Of that he was appreciative. Especially since it was this witch who had gotten him to think about what to actually do with his mother to the point he'd found Prince relatives willing to care for her. To stand by her when she returned to this home.

"Yes, and afterward I will start reading."

Return to Top

Part 16 | Part 18

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com