***Chapter Fourteen***
November 1983

Hermione was in the Ministry cafeteria on her lunch break when someone sat down across from her. She hadn't really made any friends yet. There were a few possibilities, a witch from the lab that she'd talked to when she'd found out Hermione was married to Severus. Another was a wizard who she wasn't entirely sure had platonic interest in her, so she hesitated initiating anything beyond their brief conversations in the halls.

She looked up, certain the shock of seeing Arthur Weasley across the table from her was plain as day on her face.

"Good afternoon, Madam Snape," he said casually, as if this wasn't their first conversation. She'd seen him in the halls, but hadn't known how to approach him. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility she'd need something from his department or vice versa. She'd always been fond of Arthur Weasley.

"Hello, Mr. Weasley. Are you well today?"

"I am, thank you. And you?"

"Very well."

She'd gotten a job in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes, and had been working recently primarily in the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee. They were so impressed with her performance thus far that they were already talking of making her head of the division. To this point, none of her excuses had failed. That was apparently unheard of, especially for someone as young as she was who was just starting.

"Good to hear. And Severus?"

She eyed him curiously. He looked almost … shy. Interesting.

"Severus is very well. Busy, obviously with classes. He's started a club similar to the former potion professor's, focused on more taxing potions. It's based on grades, performance, and attendance as well, where I understand the previous professor didn't truly take much of that into consideration."

"Slughorn. And that is great to hear. I always knew there was more to Severus than met the eye."

She knew it was Slughorn of course, but Leandra would probably not know who preceded him in the position.

"He is a complex wizard."

Arthur laughed and Hermione couldn't help but reply with a smile. Oh how she'd missed this man. Prior to her sixth year, she presumed this man would become her father-in-law. Things hadn't gone in that direction, but she was truly fond of him. That hadn't changed. She had issues with Molly at various times of their acquaintance. She hadn't found one moment to be irritated with this man.

"I hear you're setting the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes ablaze," he said.

"Oh, I'm not sure of that."

"You don't hear what's being said, Madam Snape."

"That's flattering."

"You seem to know a bit about the muggle world."

"Yes, I have some experience with them." The answer was evasive, she knew that. She had to be careful in the current climate. She hoped there was a day she wouldn't have to be.

"I see," he said. "Well, I was hoping you and your husband, your children, too. You have young Harry and one of your own, correct?"

"We do. Everett is our son's name."

"Would you like to join us sometime for dinner? I'd love to show you some of my collection."

"Let me speak with Severus, but I'm sure he'd be agreeable."

"Great. I was thinking about a Saturday night, but whatever works. Let me know."

"I will let you know as soon as I've had a chance to talk to him about it."

"How is Harry?"

"He's fine. I think it was somewhat of a blessing that he was only a little older than one. We don't think he remembers much. Sad, of course, that he won't remember his parents."

"Quite. Poor boy. Molly and I would have …"

"You have your hands full as it is, though, from what I've heard, Mr. Weasley. It's only your oldest at Hogwarts, correct?"

"Yes. Charlie will start next year. His birthday is in December, you know."

"Ah," she said. "I promise that we are doing our best to raise Harry as our own while still ensuring he knows we're not his mum and dad."

"I have no doubt that's true."

"Thank you. I already love him so much," she said.

Arthur stared at her for a moment, clearly looking at or for something in particular. She hoped he found it, because she wasn't lying or hiding anything from him. Well, no more than she was from others anyway.

"I see that you do," he said with a nod.

They finished their lunch, talking about quidditch and various lighter topics before they returned to their respective offices.

x.x.x.

She arrived home later that evening before Severus did, which was not unusual. Albus wanted him to eat at least one dinner a week at school. He usually chose Mondays, so that it was done with.

"Paw," she called when she stepped into the living room.

The fireplace that was connected to Hogwarts and the Ministry came out in their study. The doors and windows were warded so no one could leave the room that wasn't recognized by them. Severus was taking no chances that someone would get into their house via the floo network.

"Hello, Mistress," Paw said with a polite bow.

"Did you have a good day?"

"Oh, yes, Mistress. Paw baked cookies for young masters."

"Oh I bet they loved that. Is their grandma still here?" Eileen spent the days here, but usually left around five o'clock. Paw could handle Harry and Everett for a little while.

"No, elder Madam Snape left a moment ago."

"That's fine, Paw. I'm going to go change for dinner."

"We be having shepherd's pie tonight."

"Delicious," she said.

Paw may have been a younger elf, but his culinary skills were not at all subpar. Albus had chosen well, as much as Hermione hated to give him the credit. Both were careful of what they said where Paw might hear them. Severus believed Paw was truly a gift to them, and not a spy. Neither would put it past the headmaster, though.

She made her way to the nursery, scooping up Everett after gracing Harry with a kiss. "How are my boys today?"

"Cookie," Everett said.

"Did you make cookies with Paw and Grandma?"

He gave a reply that sounded more like an excited squeal, but she took that as an affirmative.

"Well, let Mummy change and then you can show me these yummy cookies." She kissed Everett's cheek and set him down before ruffling Harry's hair. "Did you like the cookies, too?"

"Yes!"

"Good! Give me just a minute."

She looked at them before leaving the room. She couldn't believe Harry was over three and Everett was going to be two soon. The anniversary of Voldemort's defeat had just passed. To this point she and Severus had not attended any of the events that happened this year or last.

She'd been so proud of Severus when she'd read the Prophet the other day and a quote by him.

"Madam Snape nor myself will partake in any event that in essence celebrates the orphaning of our young charge, Harry Potter. I believe it's important not to lose sight of the fact that while evil was defeated there was immense cost. People died. An innocent child lost his parents. No one should have to experience that loss. We mark the occasion in our own private and tasteful way."

Truthfully, Albus didn't want him going anyway. He wanted there to be some question as to whether Severus truly was on the side of the Order for if Voldemort did make a return. He could certainly turn gaining custody into something he did to keep an eye on the baby who survived the killing curse. Or that his soul marked bonded mate insisted. Or both.

"I love you," she said before leaving the room.

She changed and gathered them to go downstairs for cookies and milk. That was what Severus came home to.

"There are my favorite people," he said.

"Cookies and milk," Harry said.

"I see that."

"Yummy," Everett said.

"Did you make those with Grandma or Mummy?"

"Gram," Everett said.

He made his way to Hermione and kissed her, lingering a bit.

"Chocolate chip I see," he murmured. "You missed a spot."

"Oh," she said, wiping her mouth.

"I took care of it."

She blushed and he chuckled. "You finished supper early then?"

"We haven't eaten yet."

"You're letting them eat cookies before dinner?"

She shrugged. "They seemed excited that they helped make them."

"Uh huh. You're going to be one of those mums that lets them eat dessert first, aren't you?"

"No! It was just a treat, and I knew you were eating at Hogwarts, so what difference does it make if they eat supper at seven instead of six. We ate one cookie each."

"Hmm. Okay." He chuckled. "How was your day?"

"Good. You'll never believe who sat with me at lunch."

"Not that Quamme fellow? Do I need to come visit you at work so he understands you are truly a married, bonded witch?"

"No, not him. Of course you're welcome to come have lunch with me at any time, Husband. Arthur Weasley."

"Arthur? Really?"

"Yes. He says he's heard good things about me."

"This surprises you?"

"No, but he seems to know I understand muggle things and has invited us. All four of us. To dinner at their home."

"Why?"

"I suspect they respect your wishes not to attend Order functions and such, but they'd presumably like to thank you in person."

"I do not want …"

"Severus," she said. She stood then, gripping his hand in between both of theirs. "They were like parents to me. They're important to me. All of them. I'd really like to. I think it would be interesting to see them now."

He sighed. "Very well. When will this happen?"

"He said we could name the date. He was thinking a Saturday. I think he wants to show me some of his muggle artifacts."

"Ah. Well, far be it from me to stand in the way of you impressing someone with your command of all that is muggle."

"Thank you," she said, bringing his hand to her lips and kissing it. "Paw made shepherd's pie. Would you like some? Or a cookie?"

"I will sit with you while you eat, of course."

"Then I was thinking we could play some cards later."

"For money?"

She sniggered. They played gin rummy for a penny a point. So far no one had paid up any of their monies. They'd just been keeping a running tally. They were to this point pretty even.

Usually whoever won the evening's play got to choose things in the bedroom that night. Hermione was pretty sure she was still glowing from the sixty minutes of oral sex she'd gotten last night.

She was more than pretty sure that she would not win tonight.

"Anything exciting at work today?" he asked later while they were playing cards. Harry and Everett were playing with their various toys.

"No."

"No promotion yet?"

"Nope."

"Hmm. I wonder why they're dragging their feet."

"I don't know. How about you?"

He sighed. "No. I will have to wake up early and brew some potions for Poppy. You know, that time of year."

"Ah yes. Cold and flu season in a drafty old castle."

"Sev works in a castle," Harry said. Severus really hated the name, but Harry couldn't quite put Severus together to sound like anything remotely close to what it should. So Sev it was for now.

"I know. You're going to be a student there one day," Hermione said.

"When I'm eleven," he said, holding up his two index fingers.

"You are right," she said.

"Your hard work is paying off, I see," Severus said.

She was working very hard to ensure Harry could count and knew his letters. Severus had worked with Harry on the birthday card he'd made for her in September. He hadn't just written out what Harry was to write. He'd asked Harry to pick out each letter and print it.

"Or he got lucky," she said.

"Doubtful. And you're sure you want to give up a Saturday for dinner with the Weasleys?"

They had been using their weekends to fix up the property as best as they could. The stables could now be habitable by horses. Their project for the spring would be to start on the buildings down in the small village. She was still (much to Severus' surprise and probably dismay) very adamant they try to make the little village thrive again.

"One isn't going to set us back that badly. It's not like anyone is counting on us."

"Narcissa asked if we were going to host something here for the holidays."

"I just bet she did," Hermione said with a soft snort.

"I told her it would probably be next year. I think she understands the property was vacant for forty years. They have offered us the use of elves again anytime we need them."

That was a hint. A not very subtle one at that.

"I'll keep it in mind when we get to the village."

"Thank you," he said.

"So are there Saturdays I should know about that you can't make it for dinner at the Burrow?"

"Not off the top of my head. You tell me which Saturday you choose, and I will ensure I have no rounds or anything that evening."

"Okay. Thank you," she said.

"You don't have to thank me. I thank you for reminding me that someone was important to you. It's easy for me to forget I'm afraid since I didn't see it."

"I know."

Return to Top

Part 15
Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com