***Chapter Thirteen***
September 19, 1983

"Anything else, Honey," Hermione's waitress asked her as she brought her a refill of her Coke.

"No, I'm okay. Thank you."

"You sure? None of my business, but you look kind of down."

"Oh, it's nothing. It's just my birthday."

"Well, that's a good thing, isn't it? You're too young to be worrying about birthdays yet. And from that nice ring on your finger you've got a fella at home waiting for you."

Hermione sighed, giving the waitress a smile. She had three fellas waiting at home for her technically. "It's just a weird day," she said. "I'm fine, though. Thank you for asking."

"Okay. Well, since it's your birthday, why don't you pick out a dessert."

"Oh, no," she said.

She grazed her teeth with her tongue, feeling how clean and smooth they felt after her visit to the dentist today.

She left from the appointment and walked around the neighborhood some. After a little while she spotted this restaurant, remembering coming here with her parents more than a few times for dinner at the end of their work day.

"Come on, Honey, I insist."

"Um, do you have any apple crumble?"

"I sure do. I'll bring you a slice."

"Thank you. That's very kind, it's one of my favorites."

"That seems to be the case today."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, a family was in earlier for lunch and got it for their daughter because she loves it." She brightened a bit. "It was her birthday, too, come to think of it. A bit younger than you," she said with a wink.

She sighed, offering the waitress a smile. "That's sweet," she said.

What she really wanted to do was cry. She'd be four now. She had no recollection of coming here for her fourth birthday with her parents or getting apple crumble for dessert.

She enjoyed the apple crumble, savoring it longer than necessary before she paid her bill, ensuring she tipped her waitress well for giving her the dessert, and left. She stepped outside with a huff. She thought at least seeing them would make her feel better.

It hadn't.

She glanced at her watch, realizing it was very late, Severus would be more than just a little worried that she wasn't home yet. So she found a spot nearby that she could apparate from and was instantly greeted with, "Where have you been? Madam Wright said you left work hours ago."

He took in her appearance, the fact she was wearing muggle clothing (no doubt knowing that her robes were in her bag) and frowned slightly.

"Are you well?"

She fell into his arms, clutching him tightly as she broke into sobs. God she felt ridiculous, but she really hadn't thought it would hit her like this.

"Leandra," he whispered against her ear, kissing the side of her head as he smoothed her hair down in a way he knew relaxed her. "Talk to me, you are scaring me. What is wrong?"

"I saw my parents today," she murmured against his chest. She heard his sharp intake of breath, felt his arms draw her even closer against him, into his warmth and safety. It was exactly where she wanted to be, too.

"I'm so sorry," he said against her ear.

"I thought it'd be okay. I scheduled the appointment under my maiden name. Rossi I mean, so they won't think anything of encountering a Snape, well you, later on."

"Right."

"They look so young, Severus. I really don't remember them looking like this."

"Of course not," he said. "What did you do after?"

"Walked some. Had a Coke and some chips at a restaurant we used to eat at. The waitress found out it was my birthday and gave me dessert. Turns out we, the Grangers, were there earlier and got the apple crumble for their daughter because it was her birthday, too."

He drew away slightly and kissed her.

"Why don't you go to our rooms and have a soak."

"Oh but I haven't seen Harry or Everett all day," she said.

"And they will be here when you get done with your bath. I'll have Paw bring you a glass of wine."

"Are you sure?"

"I am grateful that you are okay. I had no idea where to even begin to look. So please let me take care of you in this small way."

"Thank you, Severus," she said, drawing away after kissing him. "I'm sorry I worried you."

"Yes, well we will talk more about informing your husband of your activities so he doesn't die of a coronary before the age of twenty-five at another time."

"Hmm. Great."

She made her way up to their rooms and waved her clothes off once she set her bag down and kicked off her trainers.

Most everything in the house was acceptable as is. The Malfoys lent them some of their elves to get the place cleaned. Lucius had surprisingly forgiven Severus, apparently chalking his spying up to keeping Leandra and his unborn son safe, nothing more.

She wished she could assume that Albus Dumbledore's insistence Severus' duplicity not be on public record. Well, how long he'd been a spy. She wished she thought it was because Albus wanted Severus and his family safe. Not all death eaters got time in Azkaban. Not all death eaters got a lengthy sentence. If it was discovered he'd been a spy since the beginning, all along. Well, he and his family could have a price on their head.

She didn't think that was the case, though.

She and Severus agreed that in the event something was missed by them, and Voldemort was able to come back despite the horcruxes being destroyed, that he should continue his friendship. For all she knew, they hadn't gotten them all. She didn't think that was the case. It wouldn't do to burn that bridge, and well Harry and Everett would find life simpler with someone like Draco Malfoy not thinking of them as his enemies.

The one thing they had redone immediately was their bathroom, the bathroom the boys shared, and the bathroom on the first floor closest to the room they spent the most time in.

As a result, Hermione had an exquisite tub to relax in, and took advantage of her husband directing her to make use of it.

Eventually, she made her way back downstairs, still feeling a little melancholy but refreshed and rejuvenated.

"‘dra," Harry called out as Everett squealed "Mommy".

She stopped to hug and kiss both boys tightly.

"How are my boys today?"

"Happy Birthday," Harry said.

"Oh, thank you, Harry. I get a hug and a kiss from two of my favoritest boys. That is indeed a happy birthday!"

"Did Sev kiss you?"

"He did, Harry," Severus said from the doorway. He took her in, and she felt her body heat in places she was sure wasn't his intention at this precise moment. "You look well," he said.

"I feel better."

"The next time you wish to embark on such an errand, tell me. I will accompany you."

"You can't go to the dentist with me," Hermione said.

"No, but perhaps the next time it won't be there."

"I'm not sure…"

"I know you. There will be a next time."

She nodded simply. He was right. There probably would be another time. She wasn't sure he should meet them, though. She couldn't remember if they ever saw a picture of Severus. She was pretty certain she'd shown them one at some point.

"Now," he said. "Time for presents and dinner."

Harry gave her a homemade card he'd printed HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEANDRA. I LOVE YOU! on.

"Look what Sev did," he said. Just like that, the front of the paper was suddenly filled with floating images of Harry's and Everett's faces in various states of happiness. A couple were Harry and Everett together even.

"Oh, it's precious," she said. "Thank you," she hugged them both again. "I love you both very much."

Severus gave her an actual card and a necklace that had stones representing Harry's birth month as well as Everett's.

"It's gorgeous," she said. She lifted her hair away from her back so that Severus could put it on her.

He kissed the back of her neck. "I'm glad you approve." He slid his cheek against her shoulder, kissing behind her ear. "I have a much more personal gift in mind for later."

"I look forward to it."

"As do I. Happy Birthday, Love."

"Thank you."

"You are okay?"

"I am."

"They are okay?"

"They are."

"Good. And know that my personal gift can wait a night or two if you'd rather not tonight."

She closed her eyes, smiling a bit at that. She loved that about him.

"Thank you, I don't think that will be an issue, but I'll let you know."

"I know that you will."

"What did Paw make for dinner?"

"Well, sit down and find out. It's a good thing, I guess, I didn't request apple crumble for dinner."

She nodded slightly. Yes, she might have burst into tears if he'd done that. He asked the important question.

Her parents were okay. She knew they were, obviously, but seeing it with her own eyes was reassuring. Merlin. What would have happened if she'd run into herself at the diner? She hadn't even thought about that.

"Leandra?" Severus asked.

"I'm good," she said, moving to sit. Paw brought out dinner, and it was a meat and vegetable casserole topped with potato slices. One of her favorites. And perfect for tonight.

Return to Top

Part 14
Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com