***Chapter Twelve***
April 1983

"Leandra," Severus said as both Harry and Everett tugged on his robes wanting to be picked up. "I will have to go to Austria to check my account there to verify we can afford this," he whispered.

"Of course we can afford it," she said. "Do you think I would have even bothered to look at it if I didn't know that we could?"

They'd found a house not incredibly far from Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, yet not too near, they both loved. It was a bit further away than they'd anticipated, but both were taken with it. Plenty of property to allow them the privacy they desired (and would need as Harry Potter got older and people got more curious as to what happened to The Boy Who Survived the Killing Curse) and plenty of space in the house. It had stood empty for almost forty years because of a crime the owner had committed (off the property). Apparently, no one wanted to be associated with the wizard, even something as benign as owning his previous residence. Being in an area not specifically designated as magical, they reasoned it was just superstitious. Who knew? Severus nor Hermione couldn't care less.

The realtor stepped outside, seeming to realize they wanted to have a private conversation. This was their third walk through of the house and property. They both loved it, which was why they kept coming back to it.

"Enlighten me, Witch," he said, finally acquiescing and picking up Everett while he ruffled Harry's hair.

"Well, I don't know if you remember my telling you that I made a couple of stops before I came here."

"I do. One was to save Regulus," he said.

"Yes, who still does not wish to return yet," she said.

He gave a soft huff. She knew Severus wanted to see his friend. His reaction was more frustration because he couldn't convince her in bed to tell him where his friend was. He ultimately seemed to understand the other wizard would return if and when he was ready.

"I think Sirius believes I'm not being truthful."

"When you live in fear, it's difficult to come to terms with the fact that you are indeed safe."

"I do understand, and can imagine for someone like yourself and Regulus, it's different from what I experience."

"I know that you do."

He regarded her closely. She tried not to dwell on the fear that still enveloped her sometimes. She was safe, but if someone found out she was muggleborn … would she still be? Would Everett and Harry? Would Severus?

"Maybe the next time you attempt to get him to return, I can go with you. If he sees I am not only safe but indeed moving on, as if I expect to have a very long future, maybe he will be more convinced."

"All right. Maybe this summer when our comings and goings aren't so watched."

They both knew Albus kept tabs on them. Unofficially. Nosiness and curiosity more than anything nefarious, but neither cared to just hand Regulus Black to him.

"Yes," he said.

"So," she said, casting muffliato around them. "I made a stop to purchase stock in Disney and again McDonald's when they offered their initial public offerings. I met your mum for the first time in 1957. I told her who I was and what I'd done. I showed her my … her family's … ring and my visible mark. I gave her some of your money to invest in companies here and there so it wouldn't seem odd a second stock was bought suddenly. I gave her a list of companies she should steer clear of, but no other insights. I bought some for your mum, you, Regulus, and me under both names."

Severus was staring at her.

"And you're just now telling me this?"

"It hadn't really come up, Severus, but we can certainly afford to purchase this home. I also didn't know what we were doing. You and me. I didn't want you to think you owed me anything so stayed with me for that. Your mum knew."

He was quiet, and she wondered if she'd made a mistake in not telling him. She hadn't meant to keep anything from him, but it had been a bit busy the past two years. The war was over and they were separated for the first few weeks after that. Then she was at Hogwarts with two small children and later was teaching a subject she really preferred to forget about. Well, who could blame her when they weren't talking about finances to forget?

"You will show me what you've done?"

"Of course. I'm not intentionally withholding information from you, Severus. The files are in your basement's storage room. We've both been a bit busy, wouldn't you agree?"

"You're right. I think I'm more shocked that you would do such a thing not just for me but for my mother."

"I wanted her to be able to leave if she needed to," she said softly. "The childhood I knew you'd had, Severus, was not a pleasant one. I wanted her to know she had the means to leave. Evidently, just having the means made a difference. Not just for her, but for you as well. I wonder if that's why things happened differently. You at least seem to know she cares. You didn't originally."

He slid his hand out from helping in supporting Everett and grazed her cheek with the back of his hand. "You really want this home, Leandra?"

"I do!"

It was lovely.

More house and property than they would ever need. The land was old, as in belonging to a lord probably a century or two ago who, at one time, had a thriving village on the outskirts of the property. Those homes and buildings still stood and were in surprisingly decent shape. Structurally. Interior-wise they were rather beyond hope. Nothing that couldn't be repaired, though. There was a stable as well as buildings that fell within their house's immediate property obviously intended for carpenters, farriers, and blacksmiths.

"I love the idea of maybe having some businesses out here. We're far enough away, it wouldn't be competition to Hogsmeade. Those buildings are old, but we could fix them up and since we own them, rent them to people like George and Fred who have great ideas but maybe not the means to rent their own place right away. Affordable, certainly enough to meet overhead, but not gouge people."

"Who?"

"Oh. Weasley. They're twins."

"Oh, yes," he said with a shake of his hand. "You want this to be a thriving village again is what you're getting at."

"Yes," she said.

He stepped outside then, surveying the property again from probably a different standpoint than he had been initially. The realtor was watching him, Hermione could see the hungry look in her eyes.

He returned to her side. "And we have enough to purchase it outright? All of it?"

"Yes."

"And actually fix it up? At least the home and stables so they are completely usable?"

"You want horses?"

"Our children should learn and where better to do so," he said.

"Yes, Severus, we do. I sold some of mine already, prepared for this outcome. Not this property, but a property so our closing wouldn't be delayed waiting for money to free up and clear trading."

"I will pay you back …"

"Nonsense. You left me everything. It was the least I could do."

"I will ensure half of what you sold is returned to you."

"If you insist," she said. "I'd rather it be set aside for university for the boys if you really feel you must. Again, it was your money I used, Severus.."

"They're going to university?"

"I think we should encourage them in that direction, don't you? They need to know there's more than magical employment opportunities."

"Spoken like a true muggleborn witch."

"Yes, well," she said.

He set Everett down, ensuring the boy was steady on his feet before actually releasing him and approached the realtor.

"You may draw up the paperwork if they accept our offer."

"Of course, Master Snape," the realtor said. "I should have word for you within the next week."

"That will be sufficient," he said with a formal nod before turning to Hermione. "Anything else we need to do here today then, Madam Snape?"

"No," she said, gathering Everett to prepare to leave. Harry at almost three still liked to be held but seemed content with walking now because Hermione only had two arms.

"Very well," he said, shaking the realtor's hand. "I look forward to hearing from you."

The four of them apparated with the realtor following suit soon after (they assumed) and returned to Hogwarts.

"I will go speak to Albus," he said.

"Sure," she said, removing the boys' jackets and hats before letting them go on with their afternoon.

"You're sure about this?"

"You know it's what has to be done, Severus," she said.

He nodded, looking resolute as he left their quarters to go tell their boss that they were moving outside of Hogwarts, and that he would likely need to find a new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor for the next school year.

She had turned in a number of applications with the Ministry. She'd helped Poppy enough in the infirmary the past eighteen months the mediwitch was willing to attest to her capabilities. There was also the Ministry archives, which as it happened was looking for a new curator. Another position that intrigued her was the Department of Mysteries. She did not apply for a position there because she knew Leandra Snape nee Rossi's background would not pass a close inspection such as the Department of Mysteries was reported to do. Maybe, with experience in other departments, she could apply later and her previous background would no longer be so crucial a piece.

If all else failed, she could get a muggle job or, despite the ages of Harry and Everett, perhaps go to university herself.

Within about six weeks they were property owners and Severus had indeed transferred half of the amount of stocks she'd sold into her account. It bothered her to a point he felt he had to, but she understood. The stocks were ultimately bought with his money, but her wizard would always want to ensure she and their children were provided for. And Harry was included in that now.

x.x.x.

Their first night on the property, early July, Severus came in from touring the perimeter of what constituted their full property to ensure the wards he'd set were sufficient. Curious bystanders would feel the push to go elsewhere, but nothing prohibited someone from walking through. They were not allowed, however, to walk closer to their actual house. The wards around that were far more intense. Only his mother, Hermione, the boys, and he would be able to get past the stone wall and gates that separated the old keep from the rest of the land they owned.

He was exhausted. It was hours of work even just testing them. No harm would befall his family because he cut corners or took anything for granted.

Harry Potter would be safe.

Hermione Granger would be safe.

The very family he was concerned about ensuring remained safe were seated at a table in front of a nice, small July evening fire. The home was not quite as chilly as his dungeon quarters, but the fire was definitely a nice source of warmth. It appeared the three of them were working a muggle jigsaw puzzle. Well, Harry and Hermione were working the puzzle. Everett tried but for every piece he put in its rightful place, Hermione and Harry accomplished several more in the same amount of time.

His son did not seem to mind.

His son.

He was still wrapping his mind around the fact that despite what he'd done, the horrendous and unforgivable things he'd done in the name of being a spy, to keep up appearances that he was a believer in the pureblood purist ways, that all of this was his.

And there was no doubt looking at the boy that he was his, right down to the Prince nose sadly. Everett Herman. He knew what she did there. Everett was close enough to Severus without being it that he couldn't balk. Herman could be taken as the masculine form of her true name. He certainly wouldn't have given the middle name of Hermes. So it fit.

His wife.

He had a wife.

Not just any wife either. She was kind, beautiful, generous, intelligent, and put up with him. She'd come here from the future having lost him, unwittingly pregnant with their son, and not knowing what she would be up against with him or the death eaters.

And yet she came. She arranged ahead of time to ensure he and his mum could live if his mum decided to leave. He had no doubt the stocks in her names were more of an afterthought.

Hermione turned to look at him, offering a smile that he never fathomed seeing directed at him ever in this lifetime. He'd never understood writers, be it prose, poetry, or musical verse, being moved to write such things about love or romance.

He knew now.

"All to your liking out there?"

"It will do until we get people coming and going down there."

"Good," she said, not looking as if she had been at all concerned with his capabilities.

"Did you want some wine?"

"Trying to get me drunk so you can take advantage of me, Master Snape?"

"You caught me. We do have a lot of rooms to make our own in every way."

She blushed deeply and he crossed his arms over his chest as he smirked. He knew she would like that idea as much as he did.

"You don't need wine to get me to want to do that, Severus."

"No?" He knew he did not.

"I look forward to it."

"As do I," he said.

"I can see that," she said with a saucy grin as her eyes focused on the part of him in question. He refused to be embarrassed that his wife aroused him. Even when she'd done little more than look at him. "And you'll have to wait until the boys are sleeping."

He sighed, knowing she was right.

"Paw," he called out.

"Yes, Master Snape," the young elf Albus had gifted them with as a housewarming present said once he appeared.

"Madam Snape and I would like some wine please," he said.

"Yes, Sir," he said, disappearing.

He took a seat then at the table just as Paw returned with two glasses of wine.

"What are you working on, Harry?"

"‘Noopy and ‘Stock," he answered.

"Snoopy and Woodstock," he said. Harry loved Snoopy for whatever reason. He imagined Everett would, too.

"Do you like our house, Harry?"

Harry looked from the puzzle to him. Severus wondered if he'd ever get used to those eyes looking at him in such a fashion. Hermione squeezed his forearm, as if she knew what he'd been thinking.

"House big," Harry said.

"Yes, I'm not sure why Leandra thought we needed such a big house and property."

Severus knew when Harry and Everett got big enough that they'd be hard pressed keeping them away from the water near the house. In addition to a creek that the realtor had boasted being able to fly fish in. There was a waterway down in what would be the village portion, if they ever actually got to that point, where smaller containers could bring (and take away) stores' supplies and goods. He couldn't help but realize this had probably at one time been a thriving, albeit very small, village.

"As if after living at Hogwarts for basically the past thirteen years hasn't given you a taste for a home with room."

He wanted to deny it, but he could not. Especially after growing up in the home he had.

"And you try living in a tent for nine months, with two eighteen year old wizards, and tell me that you wouldn't want to ensure you have enough space."

He grimaced. She'd shared memories with him, but he knew she hadn't shared all of them with him. Truly, barring viewing them in a pensieve, he would probably never truly understand what she'd gone through during her years as a Hogwarts student.

"You have a tent, ‘dra?" Harry asked.

Severus chuckled. She loved when Harry called her ‘dra. Severus was difficult for him to say as well it seemed so he was Sev most of the time. Sometimes it came out as Sevus.

"I do. It's a fun tent. Would you like to see it?"

"Yes," he said.

"Well let's see if Severus wants to camp out tonight," she said.

Harry looked at him then, those familiar green eyes pleading. He was doomed, he realized, because he knew at this precise moment, if he hadn't understood before now, that he would grant these three people anything.

"Of course. Let Leandra finish her wine and then you two can go set it up."

"You don't want to."

"I've already seen it," he said. And had had some very enjoyable nights in it.

"Oh," the young wizard said.

So they drank their glasses of wine. Severus helped Everett put a few pieces of the puzzle in their proper place, and soon Hermione and Harry were headed outside. Her bag was already with her so she didn't need to fetch it.

He wondered if his witch would ever get to a point where she did not keep her bag close to her. Other than sleeping and bathing, he could honestly recall very few occasions of seeing her without it. The beaded bag had been replaced with a less flashy bag by now, but she never parted with it.

He hoped it would come with time.

Soon he and Everett joined them in the yard. It took him a moment to spot the tent because she'd set it up a bit away from the house.

"Sev," Harry cried out when they entered.

"Do you like Leandra's tent then?"

"Yes." He smiled and waved his arms as he turned in a circle. "Small house."

"Yes. It is like a very small house," he said with a chuckle. He set Everett down then, who took off to explore this new thing he was seeing. Severus slid his arms around Hermione.

"I ensured the second bedroom is usable," she murmured, kissing him.

"Did you now," he said, glad she seemed to recall the enjoyable things they did to pass their time in this tent before.

"Mm hmm," she said.

"Does that mean I'll be a lucky wizard tonight?"

"If you want to be."

"Yes and even more, yes," he said.

"Excellent," she said, chuckling as she kissed his jaw and nose.

He slid a hand from her waist under the top she was wearing, causing her to gasp softly as the tips of his fingers found her peak. She was no longer nursing Everett, but she had until about two months ago so they were still quite sensitive and hadn't gotten to the point of no longer producing milk. Severus didn't mind that at all, not even realizing it was unusual for her to nurse as long as she had until one of the female professors mentioned Everett seemed too old.

He felt it was none of her business, nor was it really his own when it got down to it. If Hermione wished to give their son sustenance in such a manner then so be it. And in truth, he liked tasting her, but he was mindful of the fact she didn't want to be producing it forever. Currently, his index finger was damp from some leaking and they both groaned as he traced a path with the drop around her areola.

When she was aroused, as she was now, more came out than usual these days. When she'd been actively nursing that had been a most enjoyable thing to toy with. He wasn't sure what it said but the first time he'd been inside of her and she came causing her milk to express into his mouth as he was sucking on a breast he'd finished very quickly afterward. Lifting his head and seeing both nipples damp not just from his mouth's efforts was an arousing image.

It almost made him want to try for another one so he could experience it all over again.

"Severus," she mewled and he practically growled as he claimed her lips. Her hands were at his neck and in his hair in an effort to draw him in closer. Not that he could get any closer at the moment.

"Love you," she murmured, drawing away.

"Love you, too, and we can finish that later."

"God, yes. I'd hex you if you didn't."

He chuckled. "Have no fear, Wife, I always take care of that which is mine."

"I know."

They turned their attentions back to the tent and the boys who were still busy exploring.

"Do you want to sleep here tonight, Harry?" Severus asked.

"Can we?"

"Absolutely," Hermione said.

Everett was going to be interesting to figure out since he still slept in a crib. Except he noticed in the smaller bedroom that he presumed the children would sleep in that there was a crib.

"Where did that come from?" he asked.

"The crib we had at first before moving to Hogwarts?"

"When did you put it here?"

"About the time we moved to Hogwarts," she said.

Severus shook his head slightly, a pain he didn't quite understand gripping his heart.

"What?" she asked, frowning slightly as she looked from him to the crib to the children and back to him. "Did I do something wrong? Are you mad at me?"

"What reason would I possibly have for being mad at you? It bothers me that you still live in fear for your life to the point you thought including a crib for our son in your tent would be a potentially necessary thing. I am not mad."

"I'm not sure it'll ever go away."

"I imagine not. I just want to fix it for you."

"Yes, well you have your own things to get over."

"Indeed," he said.

They both had nightmares. There were nights one consoled the other and two hours later the other needed the comfort they'd given earlier. At least they both knew and had nothing to hide from one another. He could not imagine doing this with anyone else.

He slid his left hand to hers, lacing their fingers together and watching as their marks glowed. There was a reason she was his witch. She was marked for him and he for her. Sometimes it was easy to lose sight of that fact.

"Come, Harry. Everett. Let's take advantage of sleeping outdoors and look at the stars. We'll start with Leo for you, Harry," he said. He kissed Hermione. "You're welcome to come with us."

"Sure," she said.

He wasn't at all surprised that Harry's favorite was Ursa Major and Minor. There was something appealing about spotting the Dipper.

Return to Top

Part 13
Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com