***Chapter Ten***
November 1981

Severus apparated into his parents' house for the first time in his life, knowing he'd get a lecture from his father if he was home about doing so. He had little choice in the matter. He was taking no chances tonight once he got permission to leave.

"Severus," his mother said. She was clearly startled yet thinking the same thing he was about his choice of travel to their home.

Leandra stood, looking as fierce as she could eight plus months pregnant with her wand drawn. The witch had the audacity to put herself in front of his mother.

He would talk to her about that later.

She would do her - or him for that matter - no good dead.

His mother would say the same thing.

"You scared us to death."

"I'm sorry, Mother. Leandra," he said, unsure if his father was home. He wasn't sure they could count on him to care about her safety. That led to his next question. "Is Father home?"

"No," his mum said, tight-lipped. He assumed that meant he was at a pub.

"Is that," Leandra asked, gesturing to the silent bundle encased in a blanket in his arms.

He saw hope and a deep affection in her eyes. Different from what he saw when she looked at him. He found himself a little envious of the baby, because no one had ever looked at him like that when he was a child. His mum was just not an overly affectionate person he was coming to learn. What he perceived as a child as being indifference or dislike was really just her protecting herself. And him. She could not show his father how much she loved Severus. It seemed, though, that his mum had figured out without him having to tell her that he was not truly a death eater. It went unspoken, but she knew.

She closed the distance between them, as if knowing the answer without him having to say anything.

"It is."

She was already reaching for the baby, her hand brushing over his messy albeit short dark hair as she grazed his newly scarred forehead with the pad of her thumb.

"Hello, Harry," she whispered. "I have missed you so much."

She leaned down, kissing his cheek and Severus felt a pang of not just envy but jealousy at the relationship his witch obviously had with the wizard currently in Severus' arms.

"I don't have a lot of time," he said.

"I understand. Thank you for letting me see him, letting me see that he - and you - are truly all right."

He knew she'd been fretting for days as it was becoming obvious there was nothing more they could do. He had been as well, worried that someone had discovered she was at his parents' home as things came to a head. She hadn't told him when it happened, but he could tell as weeks went by they were nearing the date she'd been hoping to avoid. Damn Gryffindors and wearing their hearts and emotions on their sleeves. The Dark Lord had been incredibly stubborn about going or being anywhere alone. They tried to feed Pettigrew false information a couple of times, but others had been sent to check out the lead.

At least he presumed this was the end she was trying to prevent from happening: Harry Potter an orphan.

"Severus," his mother said from the other side of the room. She hadn't moved an inch. She seemed to know what him bringing the baby - Harry - here meant. Surprisingly, Leandra had not figured it out yet. He chalked it up to shock at seeing him this small, and relief.

"I may have made a life altering decision without consulting you first," he murmured.

Leandra's gaze shot up to meet his. He saw questions there but also hope. Dare he hope that she would understand his decision and go along with it instead of cursing him?

"Dumbledore was going to give him to Lily's sister. Self-righteous, pompous cow. You once mentioned cupboards and such."

"Severus Tobias Snape!"

"You know it's true, Mum. You've met Petunia."

"You still shouldn't say such things. Certainly not in front of the baby."

"He's fifteen months old, Mother, not fifteen years."

"Just the same, Severus. It's a bad habit."

He sighed, knowing she was likely right. If only she'd put that belief into work when he was young. He had overheard and had his father say some very not nice things directly to him over the years.

"My apologies, Mum. I'm still rather raw from all that has transpired the past few days."

"Are you okay, Love," Leandra asked.

She placed a soothing hand against his forearm supporting Harry.

"I'm okay. Just," he shrugged. "Everything we did. I wish we could have found a way to save them. That he'd have his parents."

"I know," she said.

"I volunteered us," he said.

"Us?"

"To take Harry. Albus is now aware that we are already legally bound and soul marked for one another. I figured we're due to have a baby soon, so they could grow up like brothers."

"And you're all right with your son thinking of Harry Potter as his brother?"

"No one else was volunteering, and it makes sense, does it not? You already love him. I'm sure I will grow to, and ensure he has a better life than you knew him to have."

He thought it made sense. He heard Dumbledore talking about placing Harry with his next of kin. He was ashamed to admit that it took a few minutes for it to dawn on him just who that next of kin was.

He and Lily may have no longer been friends, but if Severus knew anything at all about her it was that she would not want her son raised by that bitch.

Remus couldn't take him for obvious reasons. Black loved being a godfather but hadn't seemed to want the actual responsibility of being a parent. At least not at this age.

No surprise.

"You want to raise him?"

"With you, and our son," he said. "I want us to raise him."

"Oh, Severus," she said, a hand going to her more than just slightly swollen abdomen. He saw tears in her eyes and he thought he'd really put his foot in it this time. "That is the nicest thing you've done."

"I'm sorry. What?" That hadn't at all been what he expected her to say.

"I know you don't like James. The idea that you would set aside that hatred. Your past. So that you can ensure Harry is raised right."

"I can't do this without you," he said.

She nodded then, tears streaming down her cheeks and he was waiting for the angry words to start. He sort of made a decision that meant she couldn't go back to 1998. She could, he supposed, but he didn't think she'd leave this child behind.

"May I hold him?"

He nodded, sliding Harry carefully into Leandra's waiting arms.

"Hi Harry," she said, grazing the side of his head with her finger as she bounced him in that way Severus had seen women do to their children. It must have been instinctual. "Imagine that. Me being like your Mum. You'd probably say it's not any different than what I had to do with you when we were at school. You might be right."

"Are you sure about this, Severus?"

His mum had moved beside him while watching and listening to what was going on.

"No, but I didn't see any other choice. I know if something happens to me, if I end up at Azkaban or something, Leandra will raise him well."

"Severus," she said cautiously.

"I have assured Dumbledore he will be safest with her. She will know how to hide him from anyone intent on harming the boy who survived the Killing Curse."

"Is that what they're calling him?"

"Have you not read a Prophet , Mum?" It'd been about a month ago, he supposed, when he sent an owl telling them not to dare venture into anywhere magical. He thought they'd done a convincing job at making people believe Leandra was not a muggleborn, but there was no telling what the death eaters would do.

"We've both been too nervous to go anywhere to get one."

"I suppose. I'm sorry if I frightened you."

"You worried us. There is a difference. She loves you."

"I know," Severus said, watching his witch hold his former best friend's son. A son who in another time had been her best friend.

"What will you do with them?"

"I will have to find someplace safe for them. All three of them. My work is not done yet, and they should not stay here. You I trust."

"May I make a suggestion?"

He nodded.

"I still have my tent," Leandra offered.

"He can't stay in a tent," Severus said.

"Why not? He's not a baby where he needs formula or anything."

"And what of you, Hermione? You are due just about any day," he countered. If she weren't as far along as she was, it would be a valid option.

"Will you listen to my idea?"

"I'm sorry, Eileen," Leandra said, looking properly chastised.

"I have a friend I know from Hogwarts. We've kept in touch. She is half-blood, raised as and lives as a muggle. She has a place that I'm certain she would let you use."

"Can she be trusted?"

"Her husband was muggle and killed in an attack two months ago. So, yes, I would say not only can she be, but as one who worked to defeat Voldemort, I would say she would be glad to help your family."

"All right."

"She has a cottage that is owned under an unknown name, as the family never updated the ownership. I know of it because she told me about it probably twenty years ago. If things with your father ever got to the point that I felt I had to leave, she wanted me to know she had a safe place for you and me. Unfortunately, she didn't think her husband was in danger. She assumed it would be her they'd come after for marrying him."

"And Leandra would be able to seek medical treatment?"

"Of course. I could stay with Harry while she's at the hospital."

He nodded then. "I have to trust you, Mum. I'm not in the position to research myself."

"I know, Severus. I would not put my grandson at risk." She glanced at Leandra and Harry. "Either of them."

"That is why I am trusting you."

"All right. Leandra," he said.

"Give me Harry, get your things together. Mum, please reach out to your friend. She has a telephone?"

"Yes," she nodded, going to the kitchen where their downstairs extension for the phone was.

"Are you sure this is necessary, Severus?" Leandra asked.

"I am being exceedingly cautious. Some death eaters may not react well when my subterfuge is exposed."

"I understand. I will guard Harry's life with my own."

"I know that you will. We will discuss later putting yourself in front of my mother when you thought you might be in danger at another time. Albus knows you may be in hiding."

She nodded, handing Harry back to him. She went upstairs then, he presumed to get her things together. He knew she wouldn't have much out of her bag. She never did. He couldn't say as he blamed her.

He stared at the baby who just hours ago had been witness to the horrific murder of his parents. Severus had tried to get there in time but was too late.

Now. Well. Now he had to believe that his faith in Albus Dumbledore was correctly placed. He knew the aurors would be coming for him. Soon. He didn't want Leandra to see him like that.

"I can bring you anytime," his mum said a little while later.

"I don't want to know where they are, Mum. Not yet," he said. He shifted Harry who had been sleeping for most of the visit. Rightfully so since it was still late, or early.

"You be good for Leandra. She will love and be good to you." He regarded his mum. "What will you tell Dad?"

She shrugged. "I'll tell him that you and Leandra found a place to live and I'm staying with her since you're at Hogwarts until the baby comes."

"He'll buy that?"

"It's not very far from the truth."

"I suppose," he said. "I will send my patronus when it is safe."

He realized then that was likely how his mum knew he wasn't truly a death eater. Maybe she didn't know he was acting as a spy, but he'd cast a patronus in front of her more than once the past few months. The first time was to show her that it had changed.

She nodded simply, taking Harry from him. He went upstairs then, finding his witch in his room.

"I apologize," he murmured.

"You have nothing to apologize for. I will of course care for Harry as if he is my own."

"That I made the decision for us but right now it's essentially you. That I'm essentially forcing you to stay here."

"I'd already decided to stay, Severus. I belong here, I wouldn't be going back to anything familiar. I want this present with you to be familiar. And, well, it'll be good practice being with Harry," she said, rubbing her swollen abdomen.

"I suppose so. Mum will stay with you. I will send a patronus when it's safe. Read the Prophet . If things get bad, Leandra, take them both and go."

She nodded. He'd used the same person who'd created their alternate identities in the future. He, of course, didn't remember and likely wouldn't ever know, considering they changed things as thoroughly as they seemed to have. He wanted to be sure, in case things got real bad, that she and their child could get away. He had duplicate sets made up under his pseudonym. She had one, he had the other. Running wasn't in his makeup, but he'd never had a witch and a son before either.

And now technically he had two sons.

She walked to him then, sliding her arms around his waist.

"I'm going to miss you," she said.

"No more than I will you, I assure you."

She sighed heavily, hugging him as tight as she could.

"You are sure that you have all of your identification? Muggle, too?"

She nodded against his chest.

"Good. Keep them all handy. I know you do, but I don't know what's going to happen. Dumbledore wasn't counting on you when he made his deal with me. He assumed he could twist the knife that was my love for Lily whenever he needed me to behave. So he has said he will clear my name, but whether he will actually do it is unknown."

"I understand. If you need me to testify."

"I will bear it in mind, only in desperation. I do not want to experience The Kiss if I can avoid it."

"Nor do I," she murmured.

He drew away, her eyes widened when he handed her a thick wad of pounds.

"I have money, Severus."

"I am aware. I am to act as his father, you are my witch. Take my money, damn it. Let me take care of you, Harry, and our son. Harry will need things. I don't know what. You and our baby will need things. Just as my older self did, I have named Leandra my sole beneficiary."

"Stop talking like that," she said. "Severus Snape! Dumbledore owes you the truth. You will get out of this alive and we will raise Harry and our son together. We will see them onto the Hogwarts Express in 1991 and 1993. Together."

"I want you to be right."

"I know," she whispered. "I am right."

"I hope you are. I'm trying to ensure that you are taken care of in case we are both wrong."

"I know."

"Thank you," he whispered, kissing her.

"Let's go then. We'll all be fine."

"One last request," he asked.

"It won't be your last but go ahead."

"We never decided on a name."

"No," she agreed, sounding hesitant. They'd had a few discussions, but neither of them seemed to hone in on two let alone one.

"I trust you, so long as Severus or Tobias are not one of the names."

"Could Severus be a middle name?"

He sighed and shook his head, cupping her cheek and kissing her.

"If you insist."

"I think I might, but will see what I can come up with."

"I trust you," he murmured.

He watched as she took a last look in his bedroom and the bathroom to ensure she had everything. They went downstairs where his mum was obviously enjoying Harry's company.

"I thank you, Mum," he said.

"It's the least I can do for you both," she said. Severus still did not understand the affection his mum had given so easily to Leandra. Like Severus, she was not quick to trust, but he was grateful for it at this moment.

"I will contact you via patronus as soon as it is safe," he said and then apparated away. He couldn't bear to see her tears or to say goodbye.

x.x.x.

Eileen and Leandra made their way to her friend's home via floo with Leandra holding Harry.

"I appreciate this very much," Leandra said. The past couple of months, here with his parents, she really worked at being Leandra. As she'd told Severus tonight, she was going to stay. That meant she couldn't, wouldn't, ever be Hermione Granger again. That name belonged to the two year old girl with her parents right now.

"Nonsense. I meant what I said, it's the least I can do for you, Dear."

No one was in the small room when they arrived. Eileen and Leandra stepped out of the fireplace. Eileen settled a gentle hand against Leandra's bicep.

"You stay here while I get the information. She's dying to meet you, but knows it's safer for all of us if she does not."

"Okay," Leandra said as Severus' mum left the room.

"So Harry. What are we going to do? This is a bit of a different mess than we've been in before."

She looked around the room, perusing the books, reading the titles aloud to Harry as if he'd understand.

Soon Eileen returned and they were back in the fireplace with Eileen calling out "great grandma Calvert's home". Eileen's shrug was the only response to Leandra's questioning gaze before they began their floo trip to the location called out.

Leandra stepped out first. Harry gave a soft cough and she glanced to be sure soot or ashes didn't get into his mouth or nose.

Eileen came out immediately after.

"She said cottage. I assumed …" Eileen said at the rather grand cottage.

"Yes, well, I've learned the rich tend to understate things."

Eileen snorted softly at that.

This room alone was big enough for the two of them.

"She sent some elves in advance so Harry should have everything he needs."

"Please thank her for me," Leandra said as she stepped further into the cottage.

Looking out the window, she could see why it was called a cottage. Woods appeared to be all around them. There was even a pond! Oh she could enjoy herself here while she waited to have her baby, even if it was November.

"This is only temporary, Harry," she said as they took a tour. "Don't get any grandiose ideas that this is your home, even if you do have the Potter fortune at your disposal."

Eileen seemed to leave her to her own devices as she explored in her own way.

It wasn't going to give Malfoy manor competition, but it was certainly more extravagant and larger than she'd been expecting. She was grateful Eileen's friend was loyal to the Order's cause.

She found the room obviously designated as the nursery. Two cribs and dressing table were there. The room wasn't quite big enough for two cribs, but she would make it work. The elves had obviously been busy because everything was clean.

Eileen found her sitting in a rocking chair with Harry. The chair had been positioned perfectly to look out over the pond and surrounding trees. Someone had sat here, nursing babies and enjoying the view. Leandra blushed realizing soon she'd be the one doing it.

"If you'll be okay, I'll head out and get some supplies for Harry: clothing, diapers, food, and such. There is some in the kitchen, so if he gets fussy before I return, he won't starve."

"Of course," she said. "Severus gave me some money. It's in my bag."

"Nonsense. Call it my contribution to the cause."

"Eileen," Leandra cautioned. She didn't want her to spend so much money.

"I won't be hearing an argument. He is now my grandson, the same as you are now my daughter."

"In-law," she said with a teasing smile.

"That will come in handy, you know."

"What will?"

"The visible soul mark. Someone who is truly foul, truly evil would not have a soul mate they could bond with."

"I never knew that."

"I don't know for certain. It is one of the stories told, but it's why Severus insisted you wear your ring in public and why he kept his charmed. He couldn't risk someone realizing he wasn't truly evil."

"Did you tell Severus that?"

"I'm sure I did at some point. By the time he would have met you originally, he may not have remembered. He probably doesn't now."

"Valid point. I would testify if I had to."

"He knows. He wants you all safe first and foremost. He is taking care of what is his."

"I never thought I'd see the day this Severus considered me his," Leandra said. "I truly thought I'd have more of a battle on my hands."

"The marks cannot lie. The papers and memories you shared with him cannot lie."

"That doesn't mean he had to accept it."

"He's not a fool, Dear, the Dark Lord business aside. I have known he wasn't loyal to him, but I know he entertained it."

"True," Leandra said.

Severus Snape could be accused of being a lot of things. A fool was not one of them. Some might argue he was foolish to get the Mark, but they'd find out soon enough that wasn't the case. Dumbledore would testify for him. He had originally, so Leandra was confident he would this time, too. He would admit it, too. Without the spying and taking the Mark, though, well, they wouldn't be here. Who was to say they would have ever met? Surely, he wouldn't have taught at Hogwarts. So, given their age difference, where else would she possibly have met him?

"I'm not complaining, mind you. After the last seven years I will take this."

"You will have to tell me one day."

"I will gladly."

"I look forward to it. All right, get some rest. Trust me, you will need it."

"I know. I just can't believe after six months of being here, I'm finally holding him."

"He's lucky to have you."

"I'm lucky, too," she said, bringing Harry up to her face so she could brush her cheek against his.

She watched Eileen leave and sighed, knowing she should put Harry down and rest but she just wanted to hold him and keep him safe. She wanted to stop him from losing his parents.

"Oh Harry," she murmured, watching as a bird flew from the pond to the branch of a tree right outside her window. In the woods, just out of her line of vision she swore she saw a doe and a stag, but it had to be exhaustion and coming down from the adrenaline rush.

Return to Top

Part 11

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com