***Chapter Seven***

"Leandra," Severus said as she tossed and turned in bed. "You have to sleep."

She reached for him, her fingers caressing his cheek and mouth. There was nothing suggestive in the touch and he found it oddly comforting. Odd because they were both lying in bed naked. Comfort from her touch wasn't something he'd imagine liking in his present state of undress. He presumed he'd want her hands … elsewhere.

He was quickly learning that her touch, sexual or not, was welcome. And deeply craved.

"I am just trying to decide what to do," she said. "I know what I want to do, but if I do that I'll be going against what you've told me to do."

She let her hand fall between them on the bed and he reached for it, settling his over it. He wasn't sure he'd ever grow tired of her letting him touch her. Sex aside, though that was rather awe inspiring by itself. These moments, though, things that meant they were together not just having sex. He'd never had anyone want to be close to him. To think he had to wait over a decade for it the first time. He thought it went toward explaining why his older self in her memories seemed rather bitter and unhappy.

"It doesn't sound like you need to make a decision at this very moment."

"I know, but we're almost done, Severus. I want to have a plan for when that happens. I need to be ready, or at least know if I have to wait."

"Sleep, Leandra, we'll go see Black tomorrow and go from there."

"Okay."

"Severus?" It'd been a few minutes but he knew she wasn't sleeping.

"Yes, Love."

"Was your dad okay?"

"I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, but yeah I suppose he was all right in the grand scheme of things. He lost his job a while back and started drinking more, but he hasn't gone on any murderous rampages."

"He never, like, hurt you?"

Oh. That was what she was asking then.

"No," he said, a little uncomfortable by the question.

Uncomfortable because there were moments growing up he'd thought for sure his father was going to tan his hide but good with his belt. It had never happened, though. He'd get this angry, almost murderous, look in his eyes, but something always made him stop from actually harming his only son. The look in his eyes couldn't be hidden, though. The twitch of his fingers as he reached for his belt couldn't be glossed over.

He'd never told a soul about those looks. About the fear of what his father would do with the belt if he ever did remove it from its place around his waist. They scared him as a boy. They scared him as he got older because there had been a few times at Hogwarts that Severus had seen that same look reflected back to him in a mirror.

He did not want to be like Tobias Snape.

"Your mother?"

He swallowed hard. Is that the past she knew for him? "Not that I know of. They don't have the most loving marriage I've seen, but they … tolerate one another's presence."

"And his opinion of magic?"

"Well, he hates it, which makes much more sense given what you say about him being a squib. Mom doesn't use it much, respecting his wishes I guess, but obviously she sent me to Hogwarts and she's remained friends with some magical acquaintances."

"Mm," she murmured.

"I take it that's not what you know of my past."

"No, it's not but I may have changed it. Unwittingly. I was just trying to help, and I guess I did. Just more than I realized I was."

"Am I supposed to understand what that means, Witch?"

"I can't tell you yet, so no."

"Okay. Well, if you know my past to be different in a bad way, and it being this way is your doing, I thank you."

"I didn't do it intentionally, but you're welcome. I'm just relieved you're all right. That you're unhurt."

"As am I," he said.

They talked well into the night. Something he shouldn't have let her do. She needed rest. There was something … more intimate about talking in the middle of the night. The room dark. The town had gone to sleep for the night, so all was quiet. Their voices hushed despite the fact they were alone.

She told him of her childhood and getting her Hogwarts letter as well as filled in the blanks of her life outside of the memories she had already shared with him.

He told her of his childhood, and it seemed even the bullying of the Marauders wasn't as bad as she knew it to be. His family wasn't a rich one, but he knew if he desperately needed or wanted something necessary, it could be gotten. That was apparently not the history she was familiar with. Second hand robes that didn't fit, used books, and parents who were all but absent from his life. None of those things were true for him. Potter, Black, Lupin, and Pettigrew were bullies. Well, Potter and Black were bullies. Lupin and Pettigrew were just riding their coattails and unwilling to stop the bullying. They'd loved to pick on Severus because his mum had been disowned. And because the Snapes were a common, blue-collar family.

His falling out with Lily had been over an argument about her wanting to borrow his notes from classes one day she'd ditched in favor of hanging out with Potter.

He'd never called her a Mudblood, and was horrified that this was the wizard his mate knew. In truth, he probably would have given Lily his notes, though he'd never aided anyone else who skipped class before. As far as he was concerned, that was on them. However, she'd asked him because Potter had asked her to. He refused to help the bastard who had been tormenting him for years.

She had been concerned about his interest in the Dark Arts and the people he hung around with. That was consistent it seemed in both of his pasts. The one she knew and the one her alterations had caused to occur. Lily never stopped to realize that if Potter and Black hadn't acted the way they had, he probably wouldn't have felt the need to get close to those Slytherins who could aid him if need be.

He had never spent so much time talking to someone in his life. The only time they didn't talk was moments they took to stop to kiss and touch once in a while, but that was as far as their activities went this night.

He loved sex, and doubted he'd ever tire of it, but he had to admit this was a pretty good night as nights went. He never imagined closeness could be addicting, but it was becoming something he craved.

"Hermione," he murmured as they were both finally on the verge of sleep.

"Mm," she said.

"I'd like you to stay. If I have any sway or influence over your decision. I want to have the next seventeen years with you, with our child."

She smiled, but said nothing, clearly too close to finally sleeping to answer him. Had she even heard him? He wasn't entirely sure. Subconsciously, he expected she had, which was the reason for her smile. Would she remember though? Did she want to stay? She wouldn't be going back to that Severus if she chose to go back. He wanted the next seventeen years for her to discover who he became firsthand. He wanted to become that man with her at his side, helping him.

x.x.x.

They woke the following day and made their way to the Hogsmeade post office. One thing Hermione did not know was where Sirius was living currently. She knew it wasn't with James or at 12 Grimmauld Place. Where he wasn't didn't tell her where he was, though.

Mr. Black,

I met you in Diagon Alley a few weeks ago with my fiance, Severus Snape. I was hoping you could give us a few minutes of your time. We are currently staying at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade while he shows me Hogwarts and the surrounding area since he'll be working here in the fall. And, yes, by we I am implying Severus is still in my company. I assure you, though, that you will want to hear what I have to tell you. I look forward to seeing you and becoming better acquainted.

Leandra A. Rossi

"What's the A for?"

"Allegra."

"Hmm," he said with a nod, sliding the letter back to her after he'd read it. "Is it wrong that I kind of like it?"

She gave a laugh. "No, because I admit I do, too. You chose well. Is the letter okay?"

He shrugged. "He's going to think you are looking for more than information from him, I suspect."

"He is not! I very specifically said you are still with me."

"And you think that would stop some witches? Or never mind some that might want to include him."

"I hadn't thought of that. I truly have not seen him that way, but if it gets him here…"

He sighed. "Fine."

"Thank you," she said. She let Severus handle the actual mailing portion of the note. All they could do from here was wait. And hope he'd come.

They thought about going for a run, but neither thought it wise to stray too far in the event Sirius was curious enough to show up quickly.

So they spent a second day walking through Hogsmeade. It wasn't a hardship to do so. Hermione had to admit that she liked spending time with Severus, regardless of when in time it was. It was also fun to see Hogsmeade through the eyes of a regular patron versus a Hogwarts student. (Even if she would have just finished being a student in her time.) Eventually, they returned to the Three Broomsticks and their room before dinner.

Hermione rolled her eyes at the conversation happening at the table next to them.

"Not a quidditch fan, I take it?"

She nodded, lifting her shoulders a bit. "Actually, both of my best friends and Ron's sister were pretty good, and I went to the Yule Ball my fourth year with a professional player. That is to say, though, no," she said with a soft laugh. "I didn't really like muggle sports either, though. You?"

He shrugged. "I was a Chaser."

"Really? Ginny is, was, a Chaser. Harry was Seeker, Ron Keeper."

"And your wizard?"

"Well, that would be a Chaser since that's you."

"The one who was able to escort you to the Yule Ball."

"Oh, Seeker."

He frowned. "How?"

"He was from Durmstrang. He was there for the TriWizard Tournament."

"Oh, really," he said, seeming to learn his lesson after scoffing at her escaping Gringotts on a dragon statement. "When did they restart that?"

"Just that year, actually, but if we take care of that problem, maybe it would be more than one. That's when he came back."

"I see," he said, clearly not entirely.

"Were you any good?"

He chuckled with a shake of his head and she blushed at that. "Well, I like to think so, yes."

"That would have been something to see. I guess I didn't even know you flew that well."

"I'd still like to get you up on a broom."

"No, really," she said with a shake of her head.

"Maybe tomorrow we can go to Hogwarts and the quidditch pitch. I know Madam Hooch always has brooms around, though mine would be better."

"I don't know, Severus," she said.

"Well, isn't this sweet? You two really do seem to be together."

"We are," Hermione said.

"I got your note. I admittedly was hoping you ditched him."

"Not likely," she said.

"I'm here," he said. "If he doesn't satisfy…"

"Stop right there," she said quickly. "Would you like something to drink, Sirius?"

"We're on a first name basis now? All right, Leandra, no. I'm here out of morbid curiosity, not to be social."

"Fine," she said, standing. She offered her hand to Severus. "I'm going to ask you to trust me. I know you don't know me, but what I need to talk to you about cannot be discussed here. We shouldn't be seen leaving together. I can't risk the safety of either of you. Have a butterbeer, act as if you were waiting for someone who stood you up, and meet us at the Shrieking Shack."

"Curiouser and curiouser. All right, Miss Rossi."

"Thank you," she said. "Severus, why do you keep bringing me places this rude wizard goes to."

"I didn't think he'd be here, Leandra. You'd do well not to insult my fiancee, Black."

"Yeah, what are you going to do about it, Snape," he said, and Severus was just as surprised as Hermione was that he'd used his last name instead of the usual insulting nickname.

She led Severus to the Shrieking Shack. Severus must have sensed her hesitation once they actually got there because he offered her hand a gentle squeeze.

This is where.

I'm here, Witch.

"I know," she said aloud. "It's still so raw. I'm mourning you, but you're here. It's admittedly more than just a bit confusing."

"I can imagine."

"Does he really have to be here?" Sirius asked once he'd arrived.

"Yes, he absolutely does," she said simply.

"God, this place hasn't changed," he said, looking around the shack. "So, why did you drag me here exactly?"

"Because what I need to tell and ask you can't be overheard."

"This ought to be good. I mean, if he's not wizard enough for you…"

"Oh my God, Sirius, stop. You're not at all my type."

"And he is?" he asked, glancing at Severus with a scoff.

"He is."

Hermione glanced at Severus who shrugged. "This is your show, Witch. I'm not sure what exactly your plan is."

She took a deep breath, trying to figure out just how to approach Sirius Black. She wasn't sure because, ultimately, she just didn't know him that well. She certainly didn't know this version of him well. He hadn't lost James yet. He hadn't been in prison for years yet.

"We need to get into your home, Sirius. There's an item in it that I need."

"Okay," he said, cautiously. No doubt that would make him cautious, as he'd never seen her before recently to know why she'd know of anything in his home.

"Your family home." She pulled a picture out of her bag, a sketch of Salazar Slytherin's locket. "This item. I believe it is in your home and we need access to it."

"And I should allow you access to either why?"

"I'm going to perform legilimens on you, Sirius."

"No!"

"I'm not looking in your mind! Trust me, I wouldn't want to stray through your mind for anything. I'm going to share some memories with you."

"Black, just let her do this. Do you really think she'd be asking to be let into your mind if she didn't need to be there? She's asking permission, not just doing it. That should tell you something."

The two wizards stared at one another. Sirius gave in, finally. He huffed, complete with rolling his eyes. (That gesture didn't change between now and 1993.). So he wasn't happy and, no doubt, thought this would be a complete waste of his time. She would do what she could to ensure it was not.

"Fine," he said.

Wandlessly, she cleared and cleaned off the bed so she could sit on it facing him. She took a deep breath, clearing her mind, only thinking about what she wanted to share with him.

"Legilimens," she said, dipping into his mind.

She did not want to be here. She really didn't.

She wasn't overly fond of Sirius Black,. The last place she wanted to be was in his mind, but they needed him. He gave a low chuckle as she pushed that thought to him.

She shared her memories of Harry from school. She knew he had to recognize that Harry was the baby currently in hiding. Of Sirius' appearance on Hogwarts grounds. Of her helping Sirius escape on Buckbeak. The battle he'd been a part of at The Department of Mysteries. She showed him some of Harry's life after Sirius was gone and her experiences with Severus. That was important to her, because he had to understand why she actually sought him out when she came back here.

She showed him the final battle. Harry dead from the killing curse and Severus as well. She pushed to him her taking the time turner and waiting for Kreacher and Regulus to come for the locket. She saved his life by having water with her for him to drink, instead of him being tempted to drink from the lake. She showed them leaving together, hiding him amongst the muggles. She showed him that she had checked on him when she had first come to the current time, that he was still alive and well, gainfully employed as a muggle bartender.

"He knew what the Dark Lord was trying to do, Sirius. He caught on. I haven't talked to him at great lengths about it because I was afraid if he got caught by a death eater they'd see me, or vice versa if I was caught. As you can see from my memories, I cannot have knowledge of who I am out there. Other than Severus and his mom, you are the only one who knows. Regulus doesn't know much of anything about me. He probably thinks I'm a seer," she said with a shrug. "He tried to stop him. He would have died if I hadn't been there. In fact, he did die initially, and no one in your family knew what happened to him. Kreacher eventually told us: Harry, Ron, and me. I waited nearly three weeks for him to come so that I could save your brother's life. You have the locket at your house. It has to be destroyed."

"Regulus," he murmured when she pulled completely out of his mind. She saw the look of surprise on Severus' face, too. She suspected Severus was friendly with Regulus, and wondered if her wizard was aware of the doubts the other wizard had been having. She doubted it. Whichever version of Severus, he would not have broached the subject of possible defection or doubt with anyone. Two years ago or now.

"Can you get me into your home, Sirius? I have James' invisibility cloak if that helps."

He scoffed at that, but the smile that made it to his lips told her he had fond memories of the cloak. Some of them probably involved Severus, but she wasn't going to focus on that right now. She'd evidently improved his past to some degree. She couldn't fix it completely. He wouldn't want her to if for no other reason. The improvements that she had caused were inadvertent.

"Kreacher," Sirius said. This was followed a few minutes later by the pop signaling a house elf's arrival.

"How can Kreacher serve...," he said with a bow.

The little elf scowled in anger, his beady eyes almost popping out of his head when he saw Sirius, but then his eyes fell on Hermione and he brightened cheerily (this was a reaction Hermione was not used to from Kreacher).

"Missy who saved Master Regulus' life!"

"You know this witch, Kreacher?"

"Oh Yes, Traitor to the Black family, Kreacher knows Missy. Kreacher was with Master Regulus when she gave him water he needed. She is good witch who saved Master Regulus."

"Kreacher," Hermione said, grabbing the picture of the locket that she'd shown to Sirius. "Do you know where this is?"

"Yes, Missy, Kreacher knows."

"Can you bring it to us?"

Kreacher eyed Sirius. "Kreacher does not think…"

"Didn't Master Regulus want you to destroy it, Kreacher?" Hermione asked, not wanting the elf to focus on Sirius.

"Yes, Missy. Kreacher has been unable to do as Master wished with the locket."

"I know how to do that. Bring it here, and I will let you destroy it. You will have fulfilled Regulus' wish. The sooner it's destroyed, the sooner Master Regulus can come back."

"Missy knows where he is?"

"I do," she said. "I had to hide him or he wouldn't have been safe."

"Kreacher has tried to find him."

"I hid him quite well, Kreacher. For his safety."

With a pop Kreacher left them.

"He's been gone for over a year."

"Yes."

"How did you gain his trust?"

"About the same way I did yours. He was sick, weak so not in a position to argue with me. Or push me out of his mind. I suppose he thought I was worth listening to since I'd saved his life."

"He really had doubts?"

"He did, Sirius. I know he'd love to talk to you about it, but not yet."

Kreacher appeared with the locket. Severus helped the elf after Hermione gave him one of the fangs so that he could destroy the locket as his master had asked him to do months ago.

"Regulus will be very happy, Kreacher."

"Master Regulus can come home now?"

"Not yet, Kreacher, but soon."

"Missy who saved his life," he said, bowing before taking his leave once again.

"One more left," she said with a huff. "Unfortunately, it's the most difficult one."

"Why?" Sirius asked.

"It's in your cousin's Gringotts vault."

"You need to be more specific."

"Bellatrix. In my time, I disguised myself with polyjuice and was able to gain entry. I had a goblin to assist me that I don't have this time, and even with him, we ended up having to escape on one of their dragons."

Sirius scoffed and it was Severus who spoke up first. "She showed me the memory, Black. She speaks the truth."

She bit on her lower lip as she thought about what their options were.

"I was reading through that book on the history of Gringotts Lucius let me borrow. I asked him to borrow it for a reason, hoping there was something in it that would help us. I haven't found much, not that might help us really, but one thing struck me. They do not question you on what you store in the vaults. I'm sure you both can attest to that. I've never had a vault, well, until Severus' I suppose, so I can only go by what I've heard and read. Their rules indicate they do not allow cursed objects. This item would be cursed, as the locket was."

"So what do you want me to do? More than getting the locket, which I did."

"Well, I presume you'd like to avoid Azkaban, so you might be interested in helping our cause to further prevent what I showed you from happening. I asked Severus if he could confound someone. I'm wondering if we couldn't get someone to inform Gringotts that there is a cursed object in a specific vault. It can't be any of us."

"And who did you have in mind, Miss Rossi?"

"Well, Mundungus Fletcher has been used in my time."

"He's a drunk."

"He is, but all we need is for him to somehow inform the goblins there's a cursed object. He won't remember where he got the information from."

"And if he's found out? You could be sentencing him to death."

"I don't think so, because once this item is destroyed the Dark Lord can be, too. For good."

"And you have a plan for that?"

"No, no I don't." She looked at Sirius and felt tears form in her eyes. "Severus is the only one who could get to him, but I think I'd rather my soul be tarnished than his."

"No!" Severus said. "I won't let you do that, ‘dra."

"Why not?"

"You're talking about killing someone."

"I'm talking about ending a psychopath's reign of terror on the wizarding world. I'm talking about ending it now before many more die. Before my best friend loses both of his parents and spends night after night until he goes to Hogwarts in a cupboard underneath the stairs because his maternal relatives loathe him and Sirius was in prison. I was thinking Regulus might, but he's had a year and a half to calm down some."

"Have you talked to him?" Sirius asked.

"I have not. Once the last item is destroyed then I can."

"Might I come with you?"

"Like hell you will," Severus said.

"You both can come with me," she said with a shake of her head. "The only other choice is if we don't stop him now is for you to tell Peter Pettigrew false information about their location, Sirius. And surprise him, all of us. Then no one would be fully responsible for killing him."

"What?"

"It's him," she said simply.

"I don't believe you."

She reached for his face with her hands, slamming into his mind with the memory of their encounter in this very place after Sirius' escape from Azkaban.

She drew away then, saw the disbelief and horror in his eyes.

"Living as a rat for years was not enough punishment for him. You don't know me, Sirius Black, and I understand it's difficult for you to trust a witch. I will not betray or lie to you. I am trying to save the world. Severus sent me back to do that. I will not let him down. I will not let Harry down! Even if he never becomes my best friend, I will not fail him. We want the same thing. You helped us at the Department of Mysteries, even though being caught would have meant being sent back to Azkaban. I'm counting on you stepping up now because you loved Harry, and have to want a better life for him than what he ended up with. Dead before he hit eighteen cannot be what you envisioned when you agreed to be his godfather."

The silence was thick in the little shack when she grew quiet. Both wizards were thinking over what she'd just said, no doubt. She knew Severus believed her. Sirius, though, hadn't had time to get to know her.

"All right. Let's go find Fletcher. Well, I suppose I'll go find Fletcher. Neither of you should be seen with him or me. I'll get that taken care of. Once it's done, you will take me to my brother, and the four of us will come up with a plan for the last of it. I have a contact on the inside of Gringotts who I can ask to inform me when a certain vault is dealt with."

"Do you trust that they won't tell anyone you asked?"

"Yes, it's a witch who I'm friends with. I helped her get out of a messy situation with a wizard," he shrugged. "I also know how to be discreet when I need to be, Leandra. To get information without directly telling her what it is I want. Being the blackguard of the Black family tree has its benefits sometimes."

Hermione glanced at Severus whose arms were crossed in front of him. He was scowling, but he seemed to know this was the way it had to be.

"Fine," he said simply.

"Where will you be? Here in Hogsmeade?" Sirius asked.

"Probably," Severus said.

"I'd like to get back into Hogwarts if we can, Severus. We can take the passage from here," she said, gesturing to the Shack.

"All right, Witch," he said with a nod.

Sirius left before they did, saying he'd come to Hogsmeade to look for them rather than owl to keep up appearances.

Hermione and Severus made their way through the passageway that would lead them into the castle. She led him up to the seventh floor where Hermione wished for a fireproof room and equipment where she could practice casting Fiendfyre.

"What is this?"

"You mentioned in the letter you'd like to see me try to cast Fiendfyre without my wand or verbal command," she said. "We practiced, you and me, and the counterspell."

"I remember. The letter, I mean."

"I've never tried, and haven't wanted to try on one of the items in case it fails and then we couldn't destroy it."

"Understandable," he said.

"So, now I want to try. This is a fireproof room for me to practice."

"Why?"

"Well," she shrugged. "Well, if we do give him false information and he goes into whatever house we direct him to, I could cast it …"

"You are a vindictive witch. Remind me never to cross you."

"I will, often I expect, Husband, but I am not vindictive unless someone crosses people I love. I want him gone, and I can't ask anyone else to do it."

"I take it you are straying from these events I told you not to alter?"

"I am," she said. "At least I'm going to try. Firenze indicated he did not believe fixed points in time truly exist. Merely the time I left is now a different timeline than the one I've created. If I go back, everything would likely be different because of what we have done here already."

"Do you want to go back?"

She sighed softly as she wordlessly tried to cast Fiendfyre.

"It's rather frightening to think about."

"Why?" he asked, watching her as she worked at casting the spell. It started out being little more than the bluebell flames she could normally cast, but after a few attempts there was more power behind it and it created a true fire.

The Room of Requirement had provided dummies for her so she could practice on them. It was such a difference from the last time she was here and it was on fire. Hogwarts was something else that would be spared damage, too, if they succeeded in this. Death eaters would not get in.

"Because I don't even know what I'd go back to, and I'd be bringing a baby with me. I have no idea, Severus. Harry, Ron, and I became friends because of the Dark Lord. If there is no Dark Lord…"

"Is that the only reason for your hesitancy?"

"No, but it is something to consider. Being alone is rather depressing, you know that as well as I do. I'm going to be spending months with you. This you. I don't think I'll want to leave you again, and well then there's the new you."

"I'm sorry?"

"Without the Dark Lord. You may not even teach at Hogwarts any longer. If we're able to destroy him now, you could open that apothecary I know you thought of."

"I'm not sure what you think is going to happen. You're going to leave and I'll forget about you for the next seventeen years? Even if that did happen, which it's not. You could do as you did with me when you first arrived and merely show them to me."

"I could, but I'm not sure a nearly forty-year-old you without the weight of the world on his shoulders would even want me."

"But it's me! I'm him. I mean you'll be going forward seventeen years from now, this today you've created. I know! I'd expect you because he's me!"

"Yes, but nearly twenty years is a long time, Severus. A whole new world could be available to you. You might not have to work at Hogwarts. You would not see me again until I showed up with your child. You might decide not to wait," she said.

In truth, that scared her more than anything. He could decide to hell with a baby and soul marks, that nearly twenty years was just too long if someone who appealed to him came along.

"Mm," he said.

"I heard you, you know."

"Oh?"

"In our bed."

"I will not deny I would like you to stay."

"Because you don't want to spend the next seventeen years alone?"

"No, because you are mine, and I'd like very much to raise our child with you. He is mine, too."

"We'll see," she said.

"As far as not waiting. It's a little late for that, isn't it? I suppose, sure, I could physically be with another witch, but they wouldn't be you, Leandra," he whispered. He took her left hand with his, letting their marks glow. "I didn't have to accept it either, you know. I could have said who cares what anyone thinks about it all. A witch leaving me certainly wouldn't be the worst thing people have to say about me."

"I know. It's just when I left I had a goal. Stop him. I really didn't take the time to think about how much I'd be changing by doing that. When you visited me when I was younger, you were very careful not to mess with anything. When I was young, our conversations were brief, a few minutes of conversation about bats, books, or whatever. Nothing was altered. I admit there's a part of me that wonders at the differences. I realize if I stay I'll find out, just in seventeen years instead of a few months."

"May I ask which way you're leaning?"

"Why?"

"Well, to know if I need to up my game, of course," he said.

She smiled wryly. "Staying would not be a hardship, but I believe most witches would probably like to be properly pursued and courted."

"You're already carrying my child!"

"Mm," she said. "Still…"

He huffed with a pout and Hermione couldn't help but bite her cheek to stop herself from laughing.

"Should we return to my home then? Or get separate rooms?"

"No!"

It was his turn to laugh then.

"It's not funny, Severus. You and I never slept together."

"Well, obviously we managed."

"We did, but that does not require sleeping together."

"Obviously."

"I admit I'm getting rather accustomed to it."

"As am I," he said.

She sighed heavily, so many things to think about.

"What do you think Dumbledore is going to say?"

"What can he say?"

She shrugged and stopped working on casting.

"I find it odd that he knew so much," Hermione said.

"What do you mean?"

"Honestly, I don't know, Severus. He just knew things. Too much. He supposedly knew when it was the right time to bring us Gryffindor's sword. We carried that stupid locket around for months, and he had the means to destroy it the whole time! I don't understand why, other than maybe he knew somehow we needed to get caught so that we could free Griphook, Mr. Ollivander, and Luna. We also learned during our time there that Bellatrix might have something in her vault, but he couldn't possibly have known that. I thought for weeks that he had basically led Harry to slaughter, but now I'm not so sure about that. He knew things, though, and he held his cards close to his chest. He never told you about the horcruxes."

"Explain."

"He liked Harry. He legitimately did. I can't explain it other than that I just don't think he was supposed to die. I can't help but think something happened. Something went wrong and didn't go the way Dumbledore expected it to."

"It was a war, Leandra."

"I know! You don't think I know that. You don't think I look in the mirror and see my scars every day and am reminded I fought in a war. And now I'm here where people didn't fight in a war, and I'm scarred and you're not."

"Leandra."

"Which leads me to you not wanting to wait seventeen years for me."

"I'm sorry?"

"You don't have many, Severus. When I knew you, you did. You saw them. You saw yourself in my memories. Maybe you don't want someone scarred."

"Do I look at you as if they matter?"

"No," she sighed softly.

"We have a story to go with your scars."

"Narcissa doesn't have scars."

"Narcissa is a married witch, and even if she wasn't, she's not my type."

"What is your type?"

"Obviously, you. Someone sort of handpicked you for me. So I can't get much more my type."

"But…"

He closed the distance between them, taking hold of her hands.

"Hermione. Leandra," he whispered. "I don't know what's going on in that mind of yours. I don't know you well enough yet to even guess. I don't have years as your professor to gauge. However, I can tell by the memories that you've shared with me that this doubt is not you."

"Maybe not."

"I meant what I said. I want you here. I want you and our son with me. Now. I want you as you are. Exactly as you are. As soon as this is over we can remove the glamour on the scar on your arm. I do not care. About any of them. I am no prize either."

"Oh, but you are! You're smart and loyal and …"

"As are you. You bear my mark, Leandra. You are mine. I will not stop you if you choose to leave when this is accomplished, but I will admit to being disappointed. Not because I'd have to wait nearly twenty years for you. I already don't know so much about you, your first nineteen years. I'd rather not have to miss the next seventeen and wonder and guess."

"I understand," she said.

Return to Top

Part 8
Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com