***Chapter Six***

The diary was destroyed.

One down.

They'd even manage to find a book in her bag that Severus indicated would be a book they'd have in the Malfoy library, had a copyright date that was appropriate for 1981, and was about the same width of Tom's diary that Hermione was willing to part with. (Yes, she probably would have parted with others if they'd fit their needs, but she was glad it wasn't one she thought she'd need one day. It helped that Severus promised to replace her copy. She tried to think of any other man who would have understood why giving up a book was problematic to her. Other than her dad maybe, she couldn't come up with another one.)

They were currently at Severus' home and he was upstairs packing to prepare for their journey.

"I love what you've done with your home, Eileen," Hermione said.

"Thank you," she said, reaching across the table and squeezing Hermione's hand. She got tears in her eyes and Hermione offered the woman a smile. "Really, thank you, Hermione. When you showed up on our doorstep that day, I thought you had escaped from an asylum or something."

"I don't blame you." Honestly, she was still surprised this woman gave her the time of day, let alone let her come into her home.

"But the statements started showing up just as you said they would. I've been paying on and checking the box you rented for me."

"I'm so glad."

"I cannot possibly repay you. We would have been virtually destitute for most of Severus' life, and I would have been completely dependent on Tobias without the option to leave if I'd wanted to."

"You don't need to repay me. Not ever. I do have one question, though. It's kind of personal."

She squeezed Hermione's hand again, releasing it then. "You can ask me anything, dear."

"Why did you stay?"

"I married him, dear. I took a vow and I took that - still take it - seriously. You gave me the confidence to know that I did have an out if I needed one, and that's what I can't repay you for. Our marriage has not been the most loving. We both have tempers that have flared over the years. Our arguments have been heated, but he only hit me once. I get the impression that is not the history you know for Severus, or for me. I think he knew, Tobias, I mean. He wasn't sure the why or how of it, but he knew if he did it again that I would take Severus and leave and wouldn't need him. He'd never have found me if I didn't want to be found. I don't use my magic as often as I perhaps should, but I do know what I'm doing when I do. He can be a mean drunkard of a man, but Severus and I have survived. We didn't live beyond our means, and I won't deny that there were times Severus lacked for things he wanted trying to keep up with the likes of the Malfoys and Potters. I couldn't give into him, though, because I was afraid if Tobias thought there was a pot of gold somewhere, he'd kill us while in one of his drunken fits. We made do capably."

"I am glad then that it turned out that way."

"That is truly not the history you were aware of?"

"No," she said.

One of Hermione's stops had been to 1957, to purchase some shares in Disney's initial public offering. It was perhaps not the proper thing to use the time turner for, but not knowing what her future was going to be, Hermione wanted a way to survive. Now that she knew she was pregnant and could be raising Severus' child alone, she was glad that she had.

She'd purchased shares in Eileen's name as well as Severus' and both her legal name and her alias. She hadn't been sure what she'd need. In order for that to work, though, she'd taken the risk of renting a post office box in Eileen's name and approaching the woman who was for all intents and purposes her future mother-in-law about her necessary role in what she'd done. The ring and the visible soul mark had gone a long way toward convincing her.

Hermione knew it still sounded crazy.

"Well, then, Hermione, you've already changed things for the better. We've lived a simple existence as to not draw attention to ourselves or to make his father suspect anything, but Severus has never gone hungry or wanted for anything reasonable he had his eye on."

That was a very different past for Severus than what she knew. She noticed the house looked better than it had in her time. She just assumed it was due to twenty years of neglect. She hadn't realized it was because there was any difference.

It seemed his mother had never completely dropped out of the magical world either. She wasn't hugely active in it and did not use magic in her home often, but she was still known and liked (despite being disowned for marrying Severus' father).

They had used that fact in going to the Ministry earlier today to get the document changed to reflect Leandra's name and the date of their soul bond being accepted ten weeks ago. Severus had balked at using James Potter's invisibility cloak, but there was no other way the two of them could come up with as to how to get the document suitably altered (and misfiled so hopefully no one among the death eaters would ever find it).

"What will you do when Severus is gone? To Hogwarts I mean?"

"What I've been doing for the past twenty years, I imagine. Living." She slid three large envelopes to Hermione. "I like Leandra."

"Your son chose it."

"He chose well. It's distinct, like Hermione is. I'm glad he didn't give you something common."

"As am I."

"You take care of my son."

"I promise he will arrive at Hogwarts in August in one piece."

"I expect so then."

"I am ready, Leandra," Severus called from the living room.

Hermione stood then, leaned over and kissed Eileen on the cheek. She took the envelopes Eileen had given her and slid them into her beaded bag. She imagined they contained the past twenty-four years of investment statements for Hermione Jean Granger, Leandra Maria Rossi, and a third person who was currently in hiding. She was still deciding on whether to use him or just leave him be until this was done and he could return. "Thank you for your help today."

"It had to be done. I don't want Severus' life endangered nor that of my grandson. Oh, and Hermione," she said.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Just in case you need to know, once you leave I will leave any statements that come in the room in the basement, but I have ensured Severus knows to keep that box paid current in the event something happens to me."

"I hope that doesn't happen for a very long time."

And then they were on their way.

They agreed to avoid anyone finding out Severus was in the area of the items of Voldemort's they were looking for to use the tent. He was quite impressed not just with the tent but with Hermione's ability to ward the surrounding area so well. He'd apparently taken for granted just how much experience she had with this particular task.

They found Little Hangleton fine, but discreetly locating the Gaunt shack was another matter. Eventually, they overheard some people talking about it their second week in town at The Hanged Man and were able to locate the shack.

The ring destroyed, they slept easy that night while they formulated their plan to get into Hogwarts so that Hermione could get Ravenclaw's Diadem. Hermione did not tell him they'd already changed so much.

Ginny wouldn't be taken in by the diary. The Chamber of Secrets would not be opened again. Dumbledore would not put the ring on and curse himself, resulting in Severus needing to kill him. The diadem would be returned to Hogwarts where it should be appreciated as the piece of history it was.

Hermione couldn't get enough of Severus and he was very much on the same page. Her breasts, while more sensitive than usual, craved his touch. He could suck on them for hours and she was quite sure it wouldn't be enough (not that he complained about this). She'd never had the opportunity to make love to him multiple days and nights in a row. It was heady and quite addicting.

What was more during the days neither complained or balked at the other doing things not with them. Severus wanted to read a book? Fine. She either did the same or took it upon herself to find something else to do. Neither were shy either about indicating they needed space if that was how they were feeling. Hermione was a little more accustomed to living with others than Severus was. She was also a little more of a social creature than he was.

He never let her pay for anything whether it be food or drink or a trinket from this place or that they visited.

A little over three weeks after leaving his home they decided to go to Hogsmeade and get a room in preparation for their visit to Hogwarts. They both figured this would not look strange if anyone was observing Severus' comings and goings as he'd mentioned in front of Lucius bringing Hermione to Hogwarts. He'd want to show her this part of his life.

Their first night in Hogsmeade they made their way to the Forbidden Forest and transfigured into their animagus forms. She changed first, allowing him to see her form for the first time in person as she'd seen his before.

They spent a few hours running. They both clearly wanted and needed it. When they transfigured back into themselves they took a while to lay on their backs, hands twined together as they just stared at the sky.

After a few moments of quiet between them. "I am going to send Firenze a message to meet us here. I'd like to find out who all is in the castle at the moment given it's Easter holiday break, not the end of the school year."

"Sure," she said, watching him as he grabbed his wand and cast a patronus. He frowned, glancing from his patronus to her. "I thought it was a doe." This was a falcon of some sort, nowhere near a doe.

"I did, too," he admitted. He shook his head, staring at the falcon. Clearly, he had not been expecting it. "I don't cast them often, as death eaters cannot cast patronuses. So, I avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Can you cast one?"

She did, her mouth opening wider at the sight of the female counterpart to his falcon.

"Yours changed to an otter before."

"Evidently the otter no longer suits either of us," he said. "Go find Firenze and ask him to meet Severus and his guest here."

His falcon went off while Hermione's stood at attention, waiting for directions until it faded away.

"What kind are they?" she asked.

"Looked like red footed falcons to me," he said.

She knew she was crying. Again and thought that he probably believed she did nothing but cry. She'd blame pregnancy hormones, but she was so overjoyed to see his patronus had already changed from the doe.

"Have I upset you?" he asked with a scowl. She could see in his eyes that he was genuinely … concerned he'd upset her somehow. She took heart in that (that he cared) yet felt bad. She didn't want him thinking he was going to upset her over every little thing.

"Hardly. I admit I just didn't want to see the doe tonight," she said with a shrug. "I'm sorry that's shallow and uncalled for. I promise I wasn't jealous of Lily before."

"I know," he said. "I could see that very clearly in the memories. Clearly, you have nothing to be jealous about. As you said, she is another wizard's wife, and a mother."

She threw her arms around him then and kissed him, which led to some touching that they had no business doing in the Forbidden Forest. The sound of a throat clearing told them both that very clearly and made them both jump apart as if they were errant children caught doing something wrong. The Centaur was amused not insulted, judging by the smirk and twinkle in his eyes.

"Severus. I thought I saw our local Fenrir running through the Forest."

"Indeed," he said, standing to greet Firenze.

"Leandra Rossi, may I present Firenze. My fiancee," he said by way of clarification to Firenze.

"More than your fiancee. I am pleased you have found your mate, Severus. Earlier than I saw, but you have found her just the same."

"I have. Can you tell me who is at the castle currently?"

"A dozen or so students and I believe three professors plus the headmaster stayed over the holidays. I haven't seen anyone leave this evening."

"Thank you."

"I wish you and your mate well in your endeavor, for all concerned."

"As do I, Firenze."

They made their way to the gates that would let them in. It wouldn't do for Severus to just appear on the grounds when he hadn't already been here today. So, they'd taken a bit of the long way to get to the gates.

"Severus," Hagrid said as he opened the gates to let them in. Hermione smiled brightly at the sight of the half-giant.

Her friend. The first person she was excited to see, knowing he'd always be Hagrid.

"Hagrid!" she blurted out without thought.

"Do I know ye?"

"No, I'm sorry, just Severus told me about you. I feel as if I know you."

"My fiancee, Leandra Rossi."

"Fiancee, yeah? Well, congratulations Severus. Or I suppose I should get used to calling you Professor Snape from what Headmaster tells me."

"Not yet, Hagrid."

"Well, you can go on up. I believe they're in the Great Hall yet, finishing up dinner."

They made their way into the castle and the Great Hall where they were, indeed, finishing dinner. Introductions were made all around between Leandra and the staff that were there over the holidays. The headmaster was clearly surprised. Hermione had to stifle a smirk. She imagined that was a pretty … unexpected change.

"If it's permissible, Headmaster, Leandra wanted to see Hogwarts while she's here visiting."

"You can of course give her a tour, Severus. She is not here full-time then?"

"Not yet," he said quickly and Hermione glanced at him curiously.

She didn't want to … hope that he wanted her here permanently. That was positively too good to be true. She hadn't broached the subject with him because she was somewhat afraid of his answer. She loved him. He had not really had enough time to get to know her to feel much of anything. She would very much like to stay here. So much had already been changed. She was almost afraid of what she'd be returning to. Afraid she would fit in even less than she used to.

"Well, we look forward to her being a more permanent fixture around here soon then."

"As do I, Headmaster," Severus said with a polite bow.

"Now where shall we start," he said within earshot of everyone else as they left the Great Hall once the normal pleasantries had been exhausted.

"Well, the healer in me would love to see your infirmary," she said.

He chuckled, offering her his hand. "Of course you would, my witch. I would expect no less."

She was granted access to the Room after wishing three times to find Ravenclaw's lost diadem.

"You said lost stuff, but I couldn't possibly have imagined."

She laughed as she took in his facial reaction to their surroundings.

"It's a proverbial junkyard."

"It is," she agreed. "Now," she said, "let me think." She closed her eyes, thinking back to that night. "This way," she said, leading him amongst the piles of junk, broken, and lost items that Hogwarts seemed to delegate to this room.

They stopped more than a time or two to look at various things, but eventually found their way to where she knew the diadem to be.

"We have the chance here to return a lost item to Hogwarts," she said once she'd found the diadem. "Obviously, we can't return it immediately, or he will know we've found it."

"Right."

"I just don't want you to think I'm stealing it," she said.

She regarded the diadem, something she had not had the opportunity to do the first time with the Room on fire and then it disintegrated on them.

"You will be found and back on display soon," she said, running her finger along the blue gem before sliding the now horcrux-free diadem into her bag.

"I don't think you're capable of such subterfuge, Hermione."

She smiled. "I love hearing you say my name, especially now."

"I am only sorry I cannot call you by it publicly. Admittedly, I'm trying not to, lest I slip. I shouldn't have done it just now"

"I know, I'll get used to it, I imagine," she whispered, but offered him a smile. "Now, take me to the Three Broomsticks so that I can tell you of my plan for the next item and maybe some dinner, my wizard."

"Deservedly so."

They spent a while longer walking through the halls of Hogwarts so that their short visit wouldn't seem suspect to Dumbledore. The headmaster was shrewd, they both knew this. Hermione trusted him less than Severus did because she knew the things he'd kept to himself that he should have shared. Horcruxes. Harry being a horcrux and needing to die. The fact he was basically leading The Boy Who Lived to slaughter and everyone had watched him do it!

Eventually, they made their way to the Three Broomsticks. Rosmerta was there, as always. Tonight she was eyeing Severus with interest, Hermione couldn't help but notice when they entered together holding hands. Of course, Rosmerta was not the only one looking at the two of them curiously.

"Maybe we should just go up to our room?"

"Nonsense," she said. "I'm proud to be seen with you, Severus, and your child is telling me he's hungry."

He grimaced, evidently forgetting as dinner got later and later that she was eating for his heir as well as herself.

"Fine then," he said, finding a booth as far from being amongst a group of people as he could.

They each ordered something to eat and then Hermione cast Muffliato around them.

"So, Sirius Black is how we're going to get the next item. I was going to have you wear the invisibility cloak again, but I realized after more thought on it, he doesn't live at his family home so I'm going to have to trust him enough to tell him the truth. He was a member of the Order, and I have something to show him in my memories that I believe will sway him into believing me. It's a locket," she said, describing it to him.

"I am going with you?"

"Yes," she said, reaching for his hand.

She gave a low laugh. She doubted she'd be able to stop him from going with her, even if she wanted to go alone. She was certain that she would want to go with, too, if the situation was reversed.

"I want you there. He needs to stop seeing you as he did at Hogwarts but you do, too. If things change, well, he'll be around, so you both need to learn to behave like grown up wizards around one another. I have to caution you, Severus. If he gets us into Grimmauld Place the locket is evil. I cannot stress enough that we will need to destroy it immediately. The diary was not as bad for some reason. I presumed being the first, it would be the worst, but maybe with more practice they got fouler? I don't know, nor do I plan on studying it, as curious as I am about how he did it. I'm not going down that path. Do not listen to it. Do not believe what it tells you. I am not going to choose Sirius Black over you. He is not the father of this baby. He is not a better wizard than you. You absolutely deserve to be the potions professor at Hogwarts this fall. Whatever it tells you. Whatever it is deep down you're fearing, it will latch onto that and tell you that it's going to happen. Or not happen. We destroy it and we will almost be done, and I have another plan for the last one. Are you able to cast a sufficient confundus?"

"I am," he said.

"I have never actually tried it, so I'd rather my first true attempt not be under these circumstances."

"Understood. Of course I will help, Witch. And I will destroy this locket if you think I am the one who should."

"Thank you. I suspect Sirius will have some questions for me."

They ate, she ate heartily which she knew pleased him because she was pregnant. It pleased him, too, because she told him how little she'd eaten the past ten or eleven months. One thing she had going for her as far as decreasing the odds Lucius or anyone recognizing her younger self in ten years. She didn't think, even if they noticed a resemblance, anyone would place this too thin version of Hermione with her younger self before their life on the run.

"I'd like to go back and speak with Firenze. You can accompany me, but I must ask that you not listen to our conversation, Severus. I have a question I think I need to ask him."

"All right," he said. They made their way to the Forbidden Forest and Severus again cast his patronus requesting Firenze's presence.

The Centaur appeared and Severus did as requested and took his leave, though she knew he wouldn't stray far.

"I seek counsel," she said.

"I expected your return," he said and she smirked.

No doubt he had. She hated Trelawney, but she liked Firenze. She wasn't going to run out and say she believed wholeheartedly in divination, but she knew he wouldn't steer her in the wrong direction.

"You seemed to know what I was going to do, then and now. I am currently faced with a dilemma. I'm not sure what to do. I am told I have to let a certain thing happen. That it is the equivalent of a fixed point in time, and could be catastrophic if altered."

"I see."

"I am doing what I have come here to do so that he can be destroyed for good the first time."

"Go on," the Centaur said.

"What if someone else ends him now? Well, not now but when we're done with this task. I have a few thoughts on who could be the one to do so. What if I can show someone what the Dark Lord asks of him to do with and to his son in the future, knowing that this wizard will do what he can to protect his family. His only son that I know they struggled to conceive and carry to term."

"Do you think that would work?"

"The intent has to be behind the curse from my understanding for it to work. I don't know any other followers who might be prone to revolt. Well, except one, but he's already thought dead. I don't want to pull him out of hiding before it's safe. He would be an option because he knows what the Dark Lord is endeavoring to do, and is thought to have died trying to stop it from happening. My problem is, I don't know his - the one with the son I mean - mindset well enough to know if he'd truly care at this point or report me to He Who Must Be Named before we can finish this task. My other option is my mate."

"He would certainly have intent enough to cast the curse, protecting you and his heir."

"Yes."

"You are trying to save your friend, your brother in all but blood, the pain of not knowing his parents."

"I am, but that's not all. Think of how many people die between now and then. I know you don't see actual numbers, and I wasn't alive or in the magical world for all of it so I don't have numbers, but I know of two friends in addition to Harry whose lives would not have huge losses. It's not just my friends either. There are so many. Magical and muggle. I could stop that."

"I think when your mate gave you these instructions, Hermione," he paused and smiled with a knowing twinkle in his eye at what she was sure was a shocked expression on her face. "He was thinking rather two-dimensionally. Your quest. Nothing more. He chose the time for you to be here based on convenience. The timing of it his being accepting of your arrival, and able to assist you. He did not take into consideration that you already know what and where the items you seek are this time."

"Correct."

"He evidently did not realize or stop to consider that it would not take you long to complete your task."

"I guess I hadn't thought of that."

"I do not believe there are fixed points in time, Hermione. I believe that we have choices and those choices lead us down one path or another. You have already changed quite a bit just by what you have done thus far."

"You don't think I've abused the laws of time?"

"I think that not knowing what your future may hold, wanting to ensure that you are able to survive whether it's in this time or your own is not an abuse. Would some question it? Yes, but you used legitimate means to do what you've done."

"It would also save an innocent man from going to Azkaban for years."

"I cannot tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I believe your mate believed that one event had to happen or everything he did, all the choices he originally made before and after it, would have been for nothing. As you already are aware, what you knew has already shifted because of the small advantage you gave your mate's mother years ago. She was a better, stronger person. That led to a better adjusted Severus than you first encountered. One who, this time, did not need the acceptance of the Dark Lord or his minions. I must also tell you, Hermione Granger, that the ‘present' you seek to return to will be different already. How different, I am unable to see. You may find if you are to return, though, that you do not like those changes. I do not mean that in a bad way, but it will be an adjustment with a small child versus taking the next little while to adjust to this time."

Hermione sighed with a nod.

"You're suggesting, like Severus is, that I just stay."

"I am not suggesting anything, merely offering an observation. There is a theory that the time you came from you cannot go back to, no matter what. Wherever you return to would be an offshoot of that timeline. Your past even would be different because what you are doing here would make it so. You can never return to things being exactly as they were."

"Thank you," she said, bowing her head politely. She knew. There was a possibility that she could return to a time where things were worse for whatever reason. She sure hoped not, but there was no way of knowing for sure. Worse than the Dark Lord winning? That made her shudder.

"If I can ever repay you for your counsel."

Hermione hadn't stopped to think about how different things would be without the threat of Voldemort even in their first year. No Quirrell. No troll. Would she even meet Harry and Ron? Or would she be destined to be alone forever as a result of changing what she had?

"You already are, Hermione Granger. You are saving us from certain darkness."

"I am doing my best."

"You are doing as well as we expected. Now, get some sleep. You both, well, all three of you, need it. I will send your mate to you."

"Thank you," she said, standing and waiting for Severus to return.

"Did you get your answers?"

"Not really. I mean, yes, but there's no precise answer. I have some things to think on tonight. Will you keep me company while I do?"

"You know I will."

Return to Top

Part 7

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com