***Chapter Four***
Malfoy Manor
Easter Weekend, 1981

"You are certain about this, Hermione?"

"Do we really have a choice? I mean, he believes we want a weekend away from your parents to be alone with one another. It would be suspect if we declined his offer, would it not?"

"It would."

His father had been at the pub when they returned last night, so Eileen led her down to the basement to let her go through some more of her things. She felt like such a freeloader, but his mother insisted she didn't mind.

"I had hoped maybe when we conceived Severus, the years of trying were behind us, and that maybe a daughter would use these things. Obviously that didn't happen."

"I understand. My parents had issues, too. I know they wished for more than one. I never had many friends growing up. Certainly no one I had slumber parties with, or who came over for family dinner on Sundays. So, when I got to Hogwarts and made a friend who could come home with me occasionally. Well, they wasted no time spoiling Harry as if he were their son. I'm sorry you couldn't have that."

"Yes, well, it is what it is. Obviously it wasn't meant to be, some would say it was probably for the best. I have you now, and a long life to spend with you and my son. And then," she shrugged a bit. "Well, I was thinking of a granddaughter one day after your first visit. So, I ensured they were carefully stored and preserved beyond just being in this room."

The room in question, Hermione knew, was really a larger than your normal cedar closet. Perfect for ensuring things like Eileen's robes and other belongings were safely preserved.

Hermione blushed profusely at that. Not embarrassed at the idea of having Severus' child, or children, one day. Just that this woman had thought of a granddaughter twenty or thirty years in the future because of Hermione's visit with her years ago now. The chests and blankets were here for Hermione in 1998 originally. Were they well cared for and set aside for a potential granddaughter originally? Hermione doubted that was true. She wagered Severus' mum stored these things away after marrying Tobias, and likely never looked at them again.

"And I've made you uncomfortable," she said when Hermione was silent.

"Not at all. I look forward to trying for a granddaughter for you one day." She blushed then, realizing what that sounded like. And she'd said it to his mother!

Eileen reached in then, bringing Hermione to her for a hug.

"Don't be embarrassed, my dear. I would be more offended if you hadn't given that response. I know exactly what you meant."

"Thank you," she said, hugging the woman tightly. She truly didn't want his mum to think she was  (as her original Severus said in his letter to her) a harlot out to abscond with her only son. She breathed in deeply, taking in her … scent and just her. She prolonged the hug, wishing it was her mum, but Eileen would likely be the closest thing she had to a mum going forward. So she would cherish every hug and every mother-daughter moment they had together.

The items had been well-preserved and were exquisite, even if they weren't the current style. Hermione didn't care. She imagined Eileen Snape was glad to see the clothes being used again.

"If he asks about the ring, by the way," Severus said. "Tell him that it was the only heirloom Mum has or something. Lucius knows I cannot afford that," he said, gesturing to the ring. "And he knows of my mother's estrangement from her family."

She laughed softly. She doubted they'd ask, as it was very obvious that it was old and ornate, not something Severus had bought recently. "And you're comfortable being able to do the charm tomorrow?"

"Yes," he said.

He cast the charm over her soul mark this morning and it had taken as strongly as his mother's had yesterday. Charms was not something he'd done very much work with since leaving Hogwarts, so he'd been unsure of his abilities. They didn't have a choice now, and both knew the charm would be strongest cast by someone other than her casting it on herself.

"I just wanted to be sure."

"I know. Just to be clear, we will be sharing a bed for the next two nights."

"I understand."

"And the elves will report if it's evident somewhere other than the bed was slept in."

"Really? They'd do that?"

"Oh yes, Lucius will absolutely  not pass up the opportunity to get dirt on anyone, including me. Everyone questions everyone else's loyalty and looks for the upper hand when it comes to their standing with the Dark Lord. If he could report that I have a fiancee who is unwilling to share a bed with me given the opportunity away from my parents' home, that would not go over well. We're friends, but I'm sure you know that I'm not truly friends with anyone, and everyone seems to know that. I have managed to gain the Dark Lord's favor despite being gone for essentially two years, and most are not pleased about that. Even one who calls me friend."

"Which is why you having a fiancee will surprise everyone."

"Yes," he replied even though she'd made a statement.

They packed their belongings, had lunch with Severus' mum (his father was sleeping off the imbibing he'd done the night before), and then they were on their way.

"One question," he asked her as they approached the gates of Malfoy Manor.

"Yes."

"Did you know Draco?"

"I did," she said simply. She wasn't going to say anything else, because hopefully, even his godson's future would be changed by what she came here to do. Some might argue Draco didn't deserve a change, but Hermione believed most anyone did. Draco wasn't a killer. Not really. Was he a product of his hate-filled lineage? Yes, and Hermione hoped the hate would not be so prevalent going forward. (Not that she thought it would ever completely disappear. There would always be prejudice and hate by people of others different than them.)

"Those personal things you said at the Leaky Cauldron, those tidbits were good, but try not to oversell it."

Honestly, she was surprised he hadn't asked her about her relationship or familiarity with Draco before this after she'd mentioned the wizard by name to Lucius. He seemed … jealous that she referred to Sirius by his given name when they spoke of him outside of Gringotts.

"Oh, I know you're not a sharer, Severus, and I'm sure Lucius does, too. However, I think he would believe he's important enough to you for you to report on the birth of his son. Yes, I realize I should not say too much. Just like in the muggle court of law, don't ask a question you don't know the answer to, and don't volunteer information not asked. I was trying to show that you mentioned your friend's joyous event, that we knew one another last summer, and that we are truly close. Close enough that you shared you became a godfather."

"And you succeeded. I envy him, you know."

"Lucius?" she said with a frown.

Why on earth would he envy Lucius Malfoy? Yes, he had money and a nice home, but he was a pompous prat. On a good day. He came to Diagon Alley the other day not to meet her, but to catch Severus in some sort of lie. To be able to report to the Dark Lord something was amiss. She wouldn't allow that to happen. Today, or any day in the future.

"No. Me."

She slid her hand through his arm then and pressed against him.

"Do you want to know me like that, Severus?"

"I think I would, ‘dra," he whispered.

"I liked that, by the way."

"Yeah?" She nodded. "It was a whim."

"I've never called you anything but Severus."

"Did I ever call you anything but Hermione?"

"No. Some called me ‘mione, but I really didn't care for it."

"Rather formal names, both of us have, it seems we wouldn't shorten them, even for one another."

"I agree, but I liked you went with ‘dra and not Lea."

The scar on her arm was glamoured to say GUINEA instead of Mudblood. If asked, she would say that she worked with a half-blood who had served in World War II, and thought in one of his hallucinating moments that she was the enemy. Hopefully, no one would see it, but it was the best they could do. She didn't want to disguise it as a tattoo. That would be too hard to do the same every time, and she had no idea how many times, nor how frequently, she would be seeing these people. Not to mention tattoos were not accepted (certainly on witches) by everyone in 1981, so a scar seemed safest.

"Are you ready then, Miss Rossi," he said.

"I am," she said after taking a deep breath. He left her arm where it was through his as they made their way onto the Malfoy grounds.

"It is lovely," she admitted.

"It is. I am sorry your experiences here make it difficult for you to appreciate that."

"Oh I can appreciate the ambience. It's not as if I got a tour of the grounds or house when I was here."

He grimaced, clearly not liking to think of those memories she'd shared with him anymore than she was. "I know, and if you need a break, just go to the bathroom as you did this morning. No one will question it."

This morning was the first time she spent any time with his father. He didn't say much, merely nodded to her when Eileen introduced her as their future daughter-in-law. And then went back to eating his breakfast. She hadn't been expecting a parade or a warm welcome by Tobias Snape, so his response wasn't unexpected.

"Thank you."

"When did we see one another last?" he asked.

"Um, that depends on you, I guess." He was the one whose comings and goings people would be aware of. Hopefully, no one would ever find out about hers.

"End of February or the beginning of March? You had a weekend furlough?"

"Sounds lovely. I think we should say we had to stay with my employer, otherwise, Lucius will think it's only been a month or two since we've been intimate." She just didn't think that only a month of not sleeping with one another would make them wish for time away from his parents' home. Then maybe to twenty-one year old men, a month was a long time. (She could admit it seemed like a long time to her. She had to stop herself this morning from inviting him to join her in his bed when she heard him stirring before the sun came up. She didn't want sex exactly, though yes that need was there. She wanted the closeness and intimacy of being pressed against him that would occur with both of them in a single bed together.

She hadn't asked, though.

"Perfect," he said simply.

"I suppose it would be kind of up to my schedule."

"Yes, for now. Obviously when I start teaching…"

"True." They'd be hard-pressed to see one another at all then. She couldn't be showing up at Hogwarts all of the time. He wouldn't be able to leave Hogwarts with any regularity either. She also had to think of the time. This was Easter 1981. Things would soon be escalating even more than they already had. In six months, Harry would become an orphan.

"And the library. I will try to get you in there, just the two of us."

"I know," she didn't doubt him at all. He didn't understand what the horcruxes were yet. He knew what a horcrux was, but he hadn't seen (or heard, or felt) one. She hoped that would change this weekend. "Thank you."

"You know what you're looking for?"

"Yes."

"And you have whatever you need to destroy it?"

"Yes, but I'm not sure we should do it here."

"Why not?"

"They are not quiet when they are destroyed. At least the ones I was involved with the destruction of. This one is the original one, from my understanding. I don't know if that's good or bad. It got stronger interacting with Ginny. Since we're not going to be carrying it around for months or interacting with it, I'm hoping it won't be bad. I don't know, though."

"Ah. Then I will aim for Monday, before we leave, but if a time presents itself sooner."

"I understand, but Severus."

"Yes, Leandra?"

She turned then, setting a hand against his cheek. She had to prepare him. She didn't want to. She didn't want to handle the objects again at all, let alone let him do it either. She had to, though. She'd come here to change things. She was going to do it, handling those cursed items again be damned.

"It's evil. Please remember that. They are evil and prone to fill your head with evil thoughts. If we have it in our possession for the night, it may get into both our heads. I'm used to it, I had to wear one of them for months before we could destroy it. I just want you to be prepared. Especially if what you and I suspected about the reason it affected Ronald more than Harry and me."

"And that would be?"

"Ronald is a pureblood. Father a squib or not, you are as well."

"I understand, and will be prepared."

"It may tell you that I couldn't possibly love you. That I'm not truly your mate. That I want him, not you."

"Is that not what you want?"

She shrugged. "Right now, yes, of course, but I like you, too, Severus. You are still him, just not totally."

"Why?"

Good question. She hadn't expected to. She expected him to be foul and very unlikeable.

"Well, you're not as prickly as I expected."

"I think if I guided you to this time, that was probably the reason. A year, or longer, ago, I'm not sure I would have been open to the idea of you, marks or not."

"I understand."

"Making a potentially grave error is rather humbling for someone like me."

"I can assure you, Severus, you don't make them often. And you didn't get past the decision stage."

"This time, but that is good to know. All right then, let's go be betrothed."

"Even though we're already legally married."

He scoffed. "Half of us is anyway."

"I have the paper saying we are."

"Yes, with a date that hasn't happened yet."

"Details."

"Clear your mind," he said as they approached the front entrance.

"I know," she said. She bit her lower lip, realizing that wasn't the right response to his nudge. He was being kind. He didn't know all of her experiences. She would say the same thing to him if their situations were reversed. "Thank you for the reminder. And I'm glad you can still read me."

"You get a look in your eyes that tells me your thoughts are going in twenty different directions."

"So I've been told. You get that look, too, you know," she quipped. He was a master in that look.

"I imagine I do. Were you really going to be a healer?"

"No, but I have some healing experience with you, and while we were on the run. I figured it would be the easiest way to explain why I'm not gainfully employed or working somewhere. And it went with our meeting while buying potion ingredients."

"Understood. I liked the idea. I was just curious."

"Thank you."

Hermione had to admit, even while a forced guest in her home, she had found Narcissa an immensely attractive woman. Granted, the last time she saw her, she didn't look nearly as put together as she normally was, so that attractiveness had been a little tarnished. Stress of having the Dark Lord living under her roof twenty-four hours a day probably got a little heavy after a while.

Hermione wished she could feel pity for the woman, but she just didn't have it in her. Did that make her a bad person? She didn't think so. Just as Lucius subtly prodded Hermione on her knowledge of what was happening here, Narcissa knew marrying Lucius what he was like. What his beliefs were.

She wondered, too, if back in her time with the war over, or at least Harry Potter dead and the Ministry and Hogwarts under his control, would the Dark Lord move elsewhere? Or would he continue to use their home as his base of operation.

Today, she was as glamorous as she imagined Narcissa Malfoy to be in a social situation at Malfoy Manor, even though from what they could tell they were the only guests for the night. She gave Hermione a polite handshake (very limp-wristed her father would have said) as Dobby led them up to their rooms. She had to bite her lip to stop from crying at the sight of the elf.

This was not the time nor the place for her crusade. Any alterations to the timeline could change Dobby being there to help them escape from Malfoy Manor. She couldn't risk that. Not just for her sake either, but for the others that had been held captive there. Mr. Ollivander had been there for two years!

Hopefully he would not need to rescue any of them, but she could not take the chance before they'd started on their hunt of altering anything. She had to believe Dobby saving them was one of the fixed points in time Severus mentioned.

Severus noticed, though. He looked at her curiously, sliding his arm around her as they followed the elf. She welcomed the gesture, nodding ever so subtly to thank him for offering her comfort. And strength to leave the elf alone, knowing he had years of bad treatment ahead of him yet.

After the horcruxes were dealt with. Then, she would talk to Severus about possibly doing something.

"Oh, Severus," she said, settling a hand against his forearm as they passed a painting of who had to be Lucius' father. "Is that Lucius' father?"

"It is, Leandra Rossi, Abraxas Malfoy."

"You have a lovely home, Sir."

"Thank you, Miss Rossi."

She smiled slightly at the painting and they continued to follow Dobby to their rooms.

"Will Potions Master Snape and his Missus be needing anything else from Dobby?"

"No," Severus said.

Dobby peered at Hermione then and she shook her head in agreement with Severus. "Nothing else, thank you."

"Everything is satisfactory in your rooms, Potions Master Snape?"

"Yes, as always."

"Dobby lives to serve."

"You have served my fiancee and me well, Dobby."

"Thank you, Potions Master and Missus," he said, bowing before leaving with a pop.

Hermione started when there was another pop a few minutes later. It was unusual for an elf to come back without being summoned from her experience. Especially in this home, from the stories she had heard anyway.

"Dobby brings something more suitable to drink for the missus and baby," he said, setting a tray alongside the one that contained a vast array of liquor and liqueurs. "My apologies, Potions Master Snape, Dobby was not informed. Please do not tell on me."

And just like that he was gone again. Of course Hermione wouldn't let Severus tell on him.

"Did he say what I think he said?" Severus asked, looking stunned.

"I," she said, swallowing hard.

She closed her eyes, trying to count back to when her last period was, but hell if she could remember. She wasn't even sure what day it was anymore. Her last stop after leaving her time before coming here had taken over three weeks, which she hadn't planned on.

"I."

"Yes, you already said that. You don't know?"

"No," she said. "That would explain my being sick so much the past few days. I assumed it was from the traveling I did. Like I said, I made a couple of stops before coming here."

"Lay down, Leandra," he said.

She did as he asked and watched, fascinated as he cast a spell over her abdomen. She'd never had reason to see the spell cast. She'd never known anyone pregnant, except for Tonks, and she certainly hadn't seen the diagnostics done on her to ascertain if she was pregnant.

"Well, Dobby is correct. You are indeed with child. Eight to ten weeks maybe, judging by the darkness of the line," he said gesturing to the line his spell had created above her abdomen. "I'd say closer to eight, but I'm not a healer, and have only seen this done. A boy," he said.

Tears formed in her eyes and she turned onto her side, facing away from him. She had no other choice. The past years, months, and weeks were rearing their head at this moment.

Pregnant.

Stuck in the past with someone she wasn't really certain would want her when all was said and done.

Finally, it all caught up with her and she started sobbing. Uncontrollable, very non-pretty sobbing. He surprised her by sliding onto the bed behind her, sliding an arm around her.

"It is mine, yes?"

She laughed, which came out sounding like something bordering on hysterical blubbering. As if there was any other option. She didn't take the question as him questioning or doubting her. Merely assuring he was correct in his assumption. "Yes."

XvXvXv

"Then we will have a baby," he said simply.



He wasn't sure what her plan was, whether she planned to finish this task and then leave. She hadn't said, and he hadn't said in his future self's letter to her. She would not be able to leave now, though, until after the baby was born. Likely he wouldn't have suggested she take the trip to the past at all if he'd known she was carrying his child.

"This rather changes things, doesn't it," he murmured.

"Why?"

"I'm more than slightly sure that I would have told you not to come here if I had known you were with child, ‘dra. In fact, I am confident I would have told you to run far, far away and ensure that our son lives."

She nodded simply, pressing into his embrace. It had to be instinctive, and he found it wasn't all that discomforting. In fact, it was quite the opposite. She … fit.

A boy. She was pregnant with his son.

"What am I going to do, Severus?" she whispered.

Their voices were barely above a whisper, intentionally he was sure. Threat of one word being overheard. He wouldn't put it past Lucius to do that. Her whispering as well led him to believe she believed his friend was capable of doing that, too.

"What are you going to do? We are going to do what you came here to do, my witch. It's a baby. I've heard tell that women accomplish all sorts of things while in your condition. Surely we can embark on this quest when you have months to go. If anything, it gives us more reason to see it to completion. I don't want my son raised in a world where Riddle is its ruler."

"I guess so," she said. "I don't either."

They were quiet for a while. His mind was surprisingly blank. He wasn't sure where to begin. What to even say. Good lord, how had his future self allowed this to happen? In the middle of a war! Was he mad?

A baby.

A boy.

A son.

Fuck.

"What can I do?"

"You're doing it," she murmured.

"I am?"

"Hold me."

"That is all?"

"For now."

He kissed the top of her head and she started crying again.

"Are you all right?" he murmured.

"It's the first time this you has kissed me."

"Oh," he murmured. He supposed it was.

"I'm going to look a fright," she murmured.

"Lucky for you you know this wizard…"

"I am a very lucky witch, indeed."

"Did you know? Truly?"

"Truly, Severus, I did not know. I left at the end of May. The twenty-seventh or twenty-eighth I guess, but I didn't come straight here. I spent probably four weeks total in other times before coming here. Eight to ten weeks, counting back in my mind."

She shrugged against him.

"We had Easter together at our house and we made love on the kitchen floor as well as in our bedroom and, well, the couch. I'd stopped taking the muggle pill after being taken here. I was close to running out of them anyway. I wasn't going to steal muggle birth control pills, and I couldn't have my name on file anywhere traceable."

"Right."

"I don't remember you casting the charm in your kitchen, and I'm sure I didn't because I counted on you to. The wrong attitude, I know, but you never failed to, even when I was taking the muggle pills."

"Okay."

More silence.

"Were we always so amorous?"

"Not always, we didn't always have an entire day to spend with one another either before that day. I can't recall there ever being a time where it was just one time, though. So, I guess."

"I see. That is something to look forward to, I guess."

She snorted softly at that.

"And you're all right with this, Severus?"

"I don't really have a choice, do I?"

"You do."

He sighed, shifting away from her and used his hand to turn her to face him. She thought he had a choice. She assumed he'd send her on her way and not think twice about it.

"No, my witch, I do not. You're talking about my choice being abandoning you. Our son. I imagine my older self would haunt me for the rest of my life if I did that."

"I don't want you to do something because of that."

"Does it bother me that I didn't have the privilege and, all right, the enjoyable part of creating the child with you? Of course, but the marks cannot lie. I have seen enough of your memories to know that you are a trustworthy and loyal witch. I posed the question of parentage, not because I thought you had been with anyone else, but wasn't sure if during your time here…"

"No," she said quickly. "Greyback certainly wanted to, but did not get the chance. And I am. Loyal, I mean."

"Probably to a fault."

"You have said so before. I, of course, don't see it that way."

"Of course you don't."

"Is Dobby going to say anything?"

"Mm," he said, nodding. He hadn't thought of Dobby. Yet. He was sure he would have once the shock of realizing he was going to be a father in seven or eight months. "Dobby!"

"Potions Master and Missus Snape is calling for Dobby?"

"I would request you not speak of Miss Rossi's condition to anyone. Nor our marital status. We have not told anyone yet, including our parents'. I understand if you are asked directly that you cannot lie to your master, but barring a direct question, do not speak of it."

"Yes, Potions Master Snape. Dobby will not tells anyone, but it is joyous occasion to gets a son!"

"Yes, Dobby, of course it is. We just need to tell our parents first."

"Dobby will say nothing."

"Thank you, Dobby," Hermione said.

"Dobby is welcoming to Potions Master Snape and his missus?"

"You are. That will be all, Dobby."

And he was gone.

"That should keep it under wraps anyway. I don't see why Lucius would directly ask him if you are with child, or whether we are already married."

"I should hope he won't."

XvXvXv

She turned onto her side to face him then, cupping his cheek with her hand. His eyes fell closed at the gesture and she smiled at that. She gave a soft hum at the familiar action. Even this young he was unused to being touched. The fact that, despite being unaccustomed to receiving comfort, he'd tried to comfort her just now was a bit overwhelming. She hadn't asked him to, he'd offered her comfort despite her knowing he wasn't familiar with the premise of comfort. Giving or receiving.

"We need to accept the bond, Severus."

His eyes flew open at that. He looked both panicked and excited at the same time. She found it endearing. And a little hopeful that he hadn't just assumed that it was a given they would anytime soon.

"What?"

"If we accept the bond, your mark will be visible. We can leave it to them to notice or not notice. We can say it was the last time we were together after you proposed and we accepted the soul marks, resulting in this pregnancy. Then we won't be having a child unmarried. We don't want our child growing up with that stigma."

He nodded a bit, clearly thinking over what she was saying. "All right, tonight…"

"No, Severus, now."

"‘dra, they will expect us to return."

"Eventually. They believe that we haven't been able to be alone since I've gotten here, and I'm sure they would remember being newly in love. Never mind they have a new son, which I cannot believe I'm going to see a baby Draco Malfoy."

He chuckled softly at that.

"Kiss me, Severus," she whispered.

"I, um…"

"I know," she said, not needing him to make a confession that would make him too uncomfortable right now. A twenty-one year old Severus admitting he was inexperienced would probably be a different animal than nearly forty year old Severus. They'd had more time before this moment the first time, too. He knew her better, so probably didn't feel as if she'd think he was lacking or anything.

"It couldn't be while you were wearing your other clothes."

She chuckled softly and wandlessly removed both of their robes.

"You are quite good at that."

"Thanks to you," she whispered.

"Oh?"

"Uh huh. Accepting the bond increased my already innate abilities. Now I asked you to do something, Severus."

"You are sure? Truly? We can figure something else out if you do not wish to…"

"Would it be my preference? No, not because of you. I'd like for us to know one another better, but I won't have our child be discovered and have that stigma associated with it. It wasn't quite as bad, at least in the muggle world, in the nineties. The wizarding world is still quite uptight about babies conceived out of wedlock."

He snorted softly, clearly he knew what she was talking about.

"All right. Far be it from me to keep my witch waiting."

She couldn't deny she loved hearing him call her that. It didn't seem to matter which Severus it was. She was, undeniably, his witch.

The marks did not lie.

He leaned in then, slanting his mouth over hers and she reached for him. She slid her fingers through his hair, drawing him deeper into the kiss. This wasn't that different. He'd obviously, now and for the next sixteen or seventeen years, observed people kissing well enough to get the gist of what to do. In her opinion, kissing someone for the first time was awkward anyway. Neither really knew what the other liked.

Not as if she was swimming in kissing multiple men more than one time, but still.

She parted her lips, darting her tongue out to meet his and he groaned into the kiss, meeting  her tongue with his and she giggled softly. He seemed to like that contact because he drew away, as if unsure she was okay with that but came back to find her tongue with his.

Instinct seemed to take over for him then,which she hoped would be the case. This whole situation was awkward enough without him thinking too hard on what to, or not, to do. He was an intelligent man who no doubt had heard conversations and what not over the years to know things.

His hands started doing exactly what they should have been doing, knowing he had a witch in bed with him wanting to make love to him. He started touching her. Everywhere. Little things she noticed, her breasts being a little more sensitive than they had been previously, and being able to smell his distinctive scent even more than usual. She had no doubt if he were to brew Amortentia, this is exactly what she would smell. Him. Books, potions, parchment, and something that was just him.

She'd been so busy, and shellshocked the past month or so that masturbating really hadn't even been a thought to her. So the sensitivity of her breasts was new.

She touched him back, pressing into his hand as she wandlessly removed both of their tops.

"Handy," he murmured as he nipped at her lower lip and she groaned.

And then his hand was moving lower, reaching into her skirt and knickers and she gasped as he found her nub. She arched into his touch and he seemed to follow her lead in what her body was telling him while moving against his fingers. She cupped him through his boxers.

No, no difference here either and that thought made her giggle.

"Something funny?"

"No, just remembering a day that I told you whoever made us for each other endowed you in a very pleasing manner to your witch, and I'm pleased to know seventeen years made no alterations to that endowment."

"Nor should there be, as I am a grown man not a child." He looked at her face here, not his hand between her legs. He looked so … bashful. Uncertain. A look not overly familiar to her from this wizard. "You think that I am sufficient?"

"More than," she whispered. She removed the rest of their clothing. "Let me show you how very more than sufficient you are."

She gasped as he slid inside of her, exactly as she hoped he would. He was hesitant at first, she could tell so she encouraged him. "You will not hurt me or the child, Severus. Trust me."

His lips met hers again and she cried out as he hit a truly wonderful spot inside of her. He was thrusting slowly, clearly trying to prolong their joining. His hands moved everywhere along her body: thighs, bum, arms, breasts (seeming to like the groans she gave when they were directly stimulated). Hers did the same, wanting to learn how this Severus felt.

"Be in my mind, Severus. Open up to me, too."

"What?" he asked, sounding rather panicked at the very idea. So panicked, he even seemed to forget to move inside of her.

"Severus. Please. Trust me," she said, cupping his cheek. "I will not hurt you. I would never hurt you, and you can put them back up when we're done."

He nodded. She knew it was a huge request. She knew as soon as he let his shields down as she did the same. He gave the most ecstatic sounding groan she could recall him giving as their merged emotions and feelings surrounded both of them.

"Now, Severus," she whispered. "Your hand," she managed to say. It was a bit overwhelming. Hormones? She wasn't sure. "Give me your hand." She draped her left hand over her abdomen to make it easy for him.

He seemed to know what she meant, sliding his left hand over hers, and she felt their bodies hum in a kind of contentment and excitement. Whether it was actually their physical bodies or their connection, she wasn't sure.

"Harder, Severus."

"I do not want to…"

"You will not hurt us. I promise. Please, take what you need. I love you, you know that I do, and want you to." God, she hadn't meant to say that, but damned hormones and heat of the moment.

He laced his fingers tightly through hers as he pumped inside of her, deep and hard. She moved with him, squeezing his fingers tightly as she reached between her legs with their joined hands to bring herself over. He cried out, evidently not expecting her to do that, finishing almost immediately after she touched herself. She wasn't too far behind him. It'd been too long, she'd been so stressed and tense, and she really did like sex with Severus.

And just like before there was that warmth and light coursing through him and her, wrapping around them and pulsating around and inside of them. She pushed to him a vision of Wonder Woman's lasso again, hoping she'd get to show him Wonder Woman this time as the light traveled over and through them.

Their minds still open to one another; she knew that he felt how much she loved him. She knew he could see how much she loved the fact that she was the only witch that would ever get this close to him.

"Not a sharer, huh?" he quipped, kissing the swell of a breast before reaching up to kiss her.

She giggled softly, kissing his chin. "No!"

"That is exceptionally good to know. So I take it that that does not happen every time?"

"No," she said with a shrug. "I assume it's to signify the bond has been accepted."

"I would presume so."

"You'll want to go to the Ministry, and soon, to alter the document with both my name and the date. At the time then, everyone was a little busy and it seemed no one discovered it. I'm not sure that will be the case this time."

"I understand, and will do it," he said, moving next to her. He didn't go far, though, which she was thankful for.

She ran her hands along his shoulder and arm, sliding a foot over his calf.

"Do we have to go downstairs?" she asked.

Now that they'd had sex. Well, she saw no reason not to again. Like now!

He chuckled. "Well, you do have to eat, Witch, you are too thin to begin with, and are eating for two."

"I know," she whispered. She gave a soft whimper of protest at the thought of leaving the room anytime soon. She pressed against him, grazing his arm with her breasts. "One more time?"

He chuckled. "I think that can be arranged with a bit of assistance."

"Oh, yes," she said, working at assisting his parts to the response she was desiring.

Showered and redressed they made their way back downstairs in plenty of time for dinner to appear as if they wanted to be social with their host and hostess. They kept both their fingers glamoured. It would not do for anyone to find out, unless accidentally, about the marks.

"How lovely to see the two of you looking so refreshed."

"Your bed has to be one of the most comfortable I've been in in a very long time, Lucius," Hermione said.

"I am glad that it provided you both the comfort you needed. I imagine that distances and parents can be quite trying."

"Indeed," Severus said simply, squeezing Hermione's hand.

"Severus, why don't you join me for a drink before dinner. We can leave our women to talk until then."

"Of course, Lucius," he said. He released Hermione's hand then, and kissed the top of her head.

"We'll be in his study if you need me," he whispered. She gave a slight nod, that she hoped would appear to Lucius as her tilting her head up to kiss Severus, not answering him.

Lucius chuckled at the gesture.

Hermione went toward Narcissa and sat beside her on the couch.

"London in April must be quite dreary compared to what you're used to," she said.

"It is, it's one of the things my mother hated about living here. I will have to get used to it since it will be my home once we are married."

"And you are willing to leave everything behind for Severus?"

She heard an undertone of … disbelief in Narcissa's voice.

"Absolutely. I can be a healer anywhere. I may not be able to continue the kind of training that I have been doing. At least not right away. One day, maybe. Severus tells me St. Mungo's is an admirable and reputable place to work, though. So I don't feel as if I would be giving anything up."

"Yes, of course. It is nice to see Severus finally settling down."

Finally?!

He was twenty-one. What was with the wizarding world assuming everyone needed to be married off as soon as they left Hogwarts? And yet, they had few divorces, so something must be working.

Of course she hadn't studied how many truly happy couples there were. There was a thought, and something under the guise of being a healer she could explore. Maybe. Could she do it without arousing suspicion that she was after such information and not just interviewing them?

Narcissa now was happy when Lucius' political leanings allowed her to live comfortably and without much knowledge of what being a death eater meant. In 1998, actually the day their child was likely conceived, Severus implied she was aware early on, but not of the full extent of their activities. Was she in 1995 when Voldemort came back and camped out in their home? Was she when her only son had been assigned the task of murdering someone? Murdering someone that would mark him for punishment by the Order if he'd done it and been seen doing it?

"I'm so lucky to have run into him as I did. He was so angry with me wanting the same ingredient he did," she said fondly. "His nose flares when he gets angry."

Narcissa laughed. "Yes, I've seen this phenomenon you speak of several times over the years. In fact, until today, I'd never thought Severus could be soft or kind. I am glad that he can be with you."

"As am I, truly. I understand he is a difficult man to get to know, so I count myself as the luckiest witch he has allowed me to do so."

"And your parents?"

"They are happy, of course. He comes from a good family overall. On the Prince side anyway."

Hermione could care less about either side, but she knew this was the appropriate thing to say. And Severus did not want anyone knowing about his father's true blood status. At least not yet.

"Where did they attend school?"

"Mum was privately taught. Her parents traveled a lot and she preferred the hands-on experience. Dad went to a private school just outside of Mirto, which is where I went. Nowhere near the size of what I assume Hogwarts to be."

"How lovely." She likely assumed "private" meant expensive, so was assuming the Rossi's were well to do.

"Yes, I know he visited Beauxbatons a few times throughout his education, and speaks highly of his time there."

"Oh yes, it's a quality school. We have property near there and I am trying to decide whether to send our son, Draco, to Hogwarts or there myself."

"Oh, yes, that would be a difficult choice." Of course, Hermione knew where Draco ended up going to school. Could that change? Wouldn't that be interesting. She doubted it, somehow. She just couldn't picture Draco anywhere but at Hogwarts.

"Would you like to meet him?"

"Draco? I would love to, Narcissa. Severus has mentioned him in his letters. He was so proud you made him godfather."

They left the sitting room then and Hermione followed her to the nursery where a ten-month old Draco Lucius Malfoy was laying in his crib.

He looked so … normal.

When had he turned mean? Cruel? Was it innate in him or was the hatred and cruelty taught? A little of both? It would be interesting to be able to study such a thing.

Of course if they succeeded in their hunt, Draco would likely be raised very differently. She hoped so anyway. Then, maybe not. Lucius Malfoy hadn't known for certain Voldemort would return, and he'd still been a hateful arse.

"He's adorable. So precious," she said, unable to say anything else. He was, in fact, adorable and babies were precious.

"It's not easy, Leandra. My husband says you know of our political views."

"Yes," she said cautiously.

"My only advice, since you're already in a pretty deep relationship with him. Don't ever let anyone else see you doubt him or his commitment."

"Of course not. I don't doubt either."

"Nor should you, but if you ever do. If you ever start to think twice, you cannot be his weakness. You cannot be the thing that gets him hurt, or worse."

"I understand," she said succinctly. She did, and she saw that determination in Narcissa almost twenty years from now.

She knew the Malfoys were not overly pleased about having the Dark Lord taking up residence at their home. They pretended they were, but even being tortured and kept prisoner there months ago, she knew that they were merely doing what was expected of them at that point.

She almost wondered if they'd changed their mind, if they'd come to realize in the time between the first and the second wars that blood purity was in actuality not that important. Not important enough to go to war over, anyway. Certainly, they still believed in it. She could never ask, but it made her curious. She knew about the wand oath Severus entered into with Narcissa, which meant she had doubts. Didn't it? Or was something else in play? Bellatrix was with her. Had she put her sister up to it, assuming Severus wouldn't do it? He said the crazy witch didn't trust him even at this time let alone in the future.

"See that you do. It is a good life, they are provided well for their support, but it does have its price."

"Of course," she said with a simple bow of her head in understanding.

Did she really think nothing of her husband being tortured? That he may, in fact, not come home one night as a result of that torture maybe going too far? Did she not mind that he tortured others? She couldn't ask, but she did wonder what the other woman really thought. Was she truly that cold and heartless? If so, was she always that way? Hermione didn't think she was the most emotional person around, but she couldn't imagine knowing her husband was out beating and killing people and going about her day normally.

"May I hold him?" she asked.

"You may," she said. "Would you like me to get him from the crib?"

"Please. I'm not very good at that part without waking them. As a healer, usually if I'm picking them up it's because I'm meaning to wake them so the being careful part I don't have down so well."

"It's about time for him to wake up anyway," she said, lifting her son in a way that depicted her devotion to this baby. They'd tried for a while for him; she remembered Severus telling her that. It was one of the reasons Severus believed Lucius indulged and spoiled his son as much as he did. She handed him to Hermione who managed to choke back a sob and make it sound instead like a hum of pleasure as she cradled the baby in her arms.

She rocked him in her arms and looked at his face. Bad blood between them aside, Hermione could admit that Draco Malfoy was attractive when she'd gone to school with him. He was no less attractive as a baby as it turned out. Something she'd never in her life anticipated finding out first hand. She even caught a glimpse of his eyes, that as his father said were close to the same color as his dad's but not totally.

"Is he always this good?"

"Yes, quite. We are very fortunate."

"I'd say."

They moved to a set of chairs in the nursery to continue their talk. Narcissa ordered a tea service for them. It made Narcissa seem a little more … human that she'd take tea with a guest in her son's nursery. Not even a guest, really. The guest of a guest.

Soon it was time for dinner and Hermione to let go of Draco. She kind of didn't want to, and wondered what her baby would be like. Look like. It was a boy both Severus and Dobby had said.

"Thank you for letting me hold him."

"Anytime, you are a natural."

"I hope one day to find out that's true."

"I look forward to our children being playmates."

"Yes," she said with a slight nod. Little did the other woman know their children would be not even two years apart.

Dinner was uneventful and not at all tedious with Severus and Hermione retiring to their room soon after. Lucius and Narcissa watched them leave the sitting room with a knowing look in both of their eyes as the younger couple took their leave for the night.

Hermione was pretty sure she'd created a monster because he was insatiable. It was well after midnight before they finally fell asleep in a tangle of legs and arms intertwined, her hair catching on the way past five o'clock shadow stubble on his jaw. Not that she was complaining, or didn't want to. She just hadn't expected him to be so amorous immediately after their first time. She sort of expected him to pull away, especially coming to terms with the fact he was going to be a dad in less than nine months. Still, Hermione loved this part, when he held her and made her feel safe. He was doing it tonight, too. Even now, not knowing exactly what the danger was, he did it.

And even better? This time she'd be able to spend the whole night with him. Neither had to leave. Her first time ever spending the whole night with him in bed. Neither had to leave. Neither had to hide that they had someone.

She hummed softly, content.

"I concur," he murmured and she smiled into her pillow. He'd just admitted to feeling content, too. Something she didn't think twenty-one year old Severus had much experience with before tonight.

Return to Top

Part 5
Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com