***Chapter Two***
April 17, 1981

Severus heard the doorbell ring, but knew his mum would get it. She was closer, and no one would be coming here looking for him.

He had to admit he was a little  curious who was calling, as the Snape household did not get many visitors. Once upon a time, when solicitors came door to door. He recalled, too, as a boy his parents had entertained once in a while in their home. It had been since long before he began at Hogwarts since that was done.

Either door to door salesmen or entertaining in the Snape home.

So long, Severus couldn't even remember the names that went with the entertaining. The block they lived on had changed a lot since he went to Hogwarts, so he couldn't quite remember anymore who lived where and who his mum and dad might have broken bread with.

Casual curiosity were not enough to encourage him to get up to see who was at the door. No one would be here looking for him anyway. He didn't have muggle friends, and magical ones wouldn't come here. Lily didn't even!

So he was content sitting in his childhood bedroom working on lesson plans that he wouldn't even give for over four months yet. He had to be ready, though. He could not let them see uncertainty, especially the students he'd be teaching who just three years ago were his schoolmates.

The people who'd heard the Marauders call him Snivellus. People who could tell others as to what he was like for certain instead of just rumors.

He could not believe that he was still stuck living here. With his parents. At twenty-one years old. It suited his … situation best, though, considering he was going to be residing at Hogwarts come September. He hadn't banked on finishing his apprenticeship in the time he had, so hadn't prepared to live elsewhere. It was only a few months, though. He could handle it.

And, well, being this close to his childhood, and the memories of Lily's friendship, served him right he supposed. He was embarking on this path for her and her family, to keep them safe. To counteract realizing he'd betrayed his only friend.

At his boss' insistence no less!

He still wasn't certain it had been the right decision, but it was hard to argue with the man who'd faced Grindelwald and lived to tell about it.

If he'd realized exactly what telling the Dark Lord would cause, however, he probably would have put up more of a fight. The only person who had ever been kind to him, even if she'd stopped after their falling out. The memories of their friendship were important.

Some days he thought that they were all that kept him sane.

To a person who had no one, nothing to love or to love him. Well, those memories were valued. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been touched. Not by the Dark Lord or a death eater out of violence or necessity. He shuddered as he remembered the last witch the Dark Lord had used to try to entice him into bedding.

Lily deserved better than hiding and living in fear that she'd lose her son.

Living here, though. He shook his head. Who in their right mind would want to continue living with their parents at his age?

His mum was fine, he supposed. Concerned about him. He could see it in her eyes. That look that said ‘I don't know what you're doing but you seem like you're finally out of the trouble you were in, so stay on this path.'

He'd never seen his mum cry. She was pretty stoic, and really, despite his sullen personality (which matched hers he might add), he hadn't given her many problems over the years. He did his school work, achieved exemplary marks while doing them, and finished his apprenticeship in record time.

If only she knew.

She'd seen his Dark Mark.

Once.

She wasn't stupid.

She knew exactly what it was despite his having tried to deny it. He'd seen disappointment in her eyes, of course. It wasn't a look he'd been the cause of for her often over the years, so it stood out.

Most of all, though, there was fear.

Fear for him.

Fear that she would be targeted, having married a muggle man herself.

Fear that people would find out and think that she'd done something wrong that he'd choose to follow the Dark Lord.

He couldn't tell her the truth as much as he might have liked to ease her mind.

He couldn't tell her that he took the Mark at Dumbledore's insistence, knowing his fellow Slytherins admired his intellect and what he might have to offer. Dumbledore wanted an inside man and, somehow, thought that Severus Snape would go along with his scheme. 

How Dumbledore had known Lucius and the others were courting him on the Dark Lord's behalf Severus would never know. He'd known by about the second "meeting" Lucius Malfoy and the Lestranges had brought him to that he wanted none of what their Dark Lord was offering. It had taken Severus a good chunk of his seventh year at Hogwarts to finally agree to Dumbledore's offer, though.

He agreed, selfishly not for any great aspiration to act as spy or save the world, but rather because as a result of his rather intense courtship by the Dark Lord, he heard and saw crimes plotted and committed. He knew where the man's base of operations was. He knew who at least some of the witches and wizards that followed him were.

He wished he could say he agreed because it was the right thing to do. That was not the case. Maybe that played a bit of a role, but not much of one. There was a part of him that thought if he'd said and done nothing and people died, that those deaths would be on his soul.

No, that was not ultimately why he'd agreed to Dumbledore's offer.

Severus feared for his life if he rejected their offer even if he didn't want to accept it.

He knew too much. He'd seen and heard too much. There was no way they were just going to let him walk away. So. Join the Death Eaters willingly? Or join them as the Order of the Phoenix's spy, even if everyone but he and Headmaster Dumbledore knew the truth?

He had a job out of it, too. A job he certainly wouldn't have gotten if Voldemort and Dumbledore weren't controlling him.

Dumbledore had assured him that being gone to the continent for his apprenticeship would keep him out of most of the melees the Dark Lord had in mind, and Dumbledore promised him there would be a job for him at Hogwarts once his apprenticeship was completed. He was confident Severus could make it to where the Dark Lord believed that it would be in his best interest, and his own idea, not Severus' or Dumbledore's, to work at Hogwarts.

To spy on Dumbledore for Voldemort.

He'd been right. It hadn't taken much. Oddly (or maybe not so oddly), the Dark Lord did want Severus employed at Hogwarts, wanting him to spy on Dumbledore and his Order of the Phoenix. Professor Slughorn was not opposed to retirement either, after fifty years of teaching. So, in Voldemort's eyes, it was his idea that Severus apply for a job at Hogwarts. He wanted Severus to get the Defence Against the Dark Arts position, but the headmaster had nixed that.

He'd been … punished for that, but it likely wasn't as severe as it would have been had he gotten no position.

It was the first time anything had worked out remotely the way it was supposed to. (Disciplinary action aside.)

So, both of his masters wanted him in the same place. That wouldn't happen until August, though.

He knew Mum worried, especially now that he was home again. She didn't want to lose him; be it to death or to Azkaban. The Dark Lord knew he was back, of course, but Severus was not summoned nearly as often as he expected to be. He was relieved that was the case. Dumbledore told him he was to do "whatever it takes to ensure your duplicity is not discovered". He hated having the foul acts he'd had to do on his soul. He knew he wasn't the only one who served as a double agent in a war, so had to do things that they wouldn't otherwise engage in, so he took heart in that.

He could do this. He'd get through it. He just hated that he had nothing to offset what he was doing. All of it. He didn't know anyone in Cokeworth anymore. Most of his neighbor friends had moved away by now. The one he knew of whose parents still live nearby was in university, so away. So he had no one or nothing to wind down with. His lesson plans. His books. Some evenings, though, they weren't enough.

And soon he'd be at Hogwarts where he really had no one he was remotely friendly with. The headmaster wasn't a friend. He was certainly different now from Severus' first few years as a student at Hogwarts. When Dumbledore first approached him with his idea, Severus had been certain it was a joke. The headmaster had never had a kind word to say to him in nearly seven years. And the things he allowed the Marauders to get away with.

Not that his fellow Slytherins, himself included, hadn't gotten up to mischief, too. He knew that.

So, his mother didn't know the truth and he felt bad for lying to her, because she really wasn't a bad mum when it got down to it. He couldn't tell her, though. No one could know. It would be just his luck he'd tell her, and someone would doubt him and think to ask her. She was not at all adept enough at occlumency to hide such information. Their household hadn't been the most loving, but he knew there were worse out there. He wanted to protect her. This place. As best as he could. It was the only home he knew, after all. And he wanted her safe. His father, too, when it got down to it.

His father left him alone, for the most part, the days he was aware enough to realize his adult son was living at home, so that was good. Be it booze or self-pity, or both, he was usually unaware for most of the time Severus was awake.

He assumed finishing his apprenticeship in record time would endear him to the Dark Lord. It had, but it hadn't gotten him the fast advancement he sought. He wanted to get closer, to get information faster. Surely, the sooner he got information that meant this would all be done with.

There were times he asked himself exactly what he had done to deserve this, especially the past few weeks being back in Britain.

For that matter, what about him made the Dark Lord think the headmaster would allow him close enough to garner information? For all the Dark Lord knew, Severus was little more than a pest to Albus Dumbledore. Why had the headmaster chosen him over the other students who were being courted by former students who were now death eaters?

Neither master was telling him, and he knew he couldn't ask. So he supposed, on this, he'd be left to wonder. The only thing he could ascertain was that there was history between his two masters.

Obviously.

Understatement of the year, Severus.

"Severus," his mum said, knocking on his door.

"Yeah," he said, grateful for the distraction from his thoughts.

His life was what it was. There was no sense dwelling on it. He made a choice, it was up to him to live with and follow that chosen path. He didn't particularly like it though. Things felt a bit different when he was away from the area working on his apprenticeship. It wasn't real . Back home, knowing one of these days he would be called upon more than occasionally. Well, now it was becoming very real.

She opened the door. She was at least respectful like that and didn't just barge in here. Not that he was often doing anything in here that he didn't want her to see. Still, he wasn't a child, and didn't want his mother walking in as if this bedroom wasn't his own space. No matter how cramped that space might be.

"There's someone downstairs for you," she said.

He scoffed at that.

Right.

She had to be joking.

No one he'd gone to primary school with would visit him. Lily never came here, and she was currently in hiding. So obviously not Lily, falling out aside.

"Not likely," he snarled, knowing he sounded bitter.

"She says she's a friend. I hope she is, because she's certainly of a better caliber than the last person who came around here looking for you."

Severus couldn't even remember who the last person that came looking for him was. One of the Dark Lord's people, he presumed. Most of them hadn't been to muggle neighborhoods, so they didn't know where the Snape dwelling fell in the grand scheme of the various available stations in life.

It was interesting that his mum had a caliber of person in mind for him. She certainly hadn't lived up to her bloodline expectations.

There was a look in his mum's eye that told Severus she knew more. It was one of those things she called mother's intuition. He didn't believe in such things any more than he believed in divination, but had to admit she had an uncanny way of knowing things. And her knowledge had nothing to do with divination. It wasn't magic either. She just knew things.

He scowled at that. His mum knew who Lily was, so would tell him if it was her. Then he thought of Petunia and the fact his mum might not know her.

Had something happened to Lily or her baby? They were supposed to be in hiding. Dumbledore promised, assured, Severus when they discussed Severus revealing the prophecy to Voldemort that they would be protected. If he'd done all of this and they all still perished, even James Potter. What would the point of all of it have been for?

Even if they were no longer talking, and she'd gone and married a prat like Potter, he wanted Lily happy and for her family to live. He'd contented himself during his time on the continent while doing his apprenticeship, that he'd mistaken friendship for more. The misunderstanding as to her feelings for him was his fault, though she played a role, too. She should have told him at some point when she realized that he was more fond of her than she was of him. He chalked it up to her not knowing how to, rather than her being cruel or wanting to lead him on.

"Fine," he said, knowing he was sounding little better than a pouting child.

He did not appreciate the interruption, no matter who it was. He closed the notebook containing the notes he'd been reviewing for his fifth year students, setting it aside. He couldn't do potions work here at the house, but he could write down his ideas for new potions and improvements on existing ones around lesson plans. At least he was using his mind. Dumbledore assured him if he truly needed inside Hogwarts to experiment on something it could be arranged, but until he actually started working there as a professor, it was probably best he not be seen there very often.

He was going to be a twenty-one year old potions professor at Hogwarts. Unheard of. Many of his students will have known him from his time as a student himself. That meant he had to prove himself from the very first day. Prove that he was worthy, and unflappable. He had months to work on class ideas and lesson plans.

He would not fail.

He would not be found lacking or laughed at.

He would also not be like Slughorn, allowing someone's family name, station, or fame buy them preferential treatment. Other than those family members who served the Dark Lord. He hated that part, but Dumbledore agreed it had to be done, that he had to pretend he hated even teaching muggleborns. And that he was one hundred percent Slytherin.

He opened the door once he got downstairs and stared at the young woman standing there for a moment. He didn't know her, had never seen her before in his life, and appreciated the interruption even less than moments ago. He'd remember her, too, he was sure. From the curly hair that looked very much as if it could be as difficult to control as his was. (He had a different issue, but still.)

A part of him reacted, though, in a way he'd never experienced before. Not even with Lily, when he'd first realized the girl at the park was a witch.

"You obviously have the wrong house," he said, moving to shut the door. He had no idea who she was, but he had no time for this.

Untrue, of course.

In actuality, he had what amounted to all the time in the world until August. His mum hadn't said one thing about him getting a job for the next few months. He thought about it, but thought that would be unfair to an employer, muggle or magical, to get hired and trained, only to leave. And, maybe without a job, Dumbledore would allow him to arrive at Hogwarts prior to August.

He could hope.

"Severus."

That stopped him from shutting the door completely.

"Yeah, that's my name."

Obviously not the wrong house then, as there was no one else around here with his name. Come to think of it, he'd never met anyone else with his name, so doubtful she had the wrong house. He hesitated in shutting the door the rest of the way as a result of that conclusion, but certainly wasn't welcoming her in.

She was … cute. Actually, more than cute. He'd say pretty. His mum would probably have something better to say. Lovely or something. A little thin, but so was he, so he wasn't one to judge. She also looked a bit skittish with dark patches under her eyes. He recognized those patches. He'd seen them reflected back at him in a mirror when he studied too long, or couldn't put a potion under a stasis so had to work through until it was completed.

"I," she took a deep breath.

She looked nervous or frazzled, he noticed. Both? She also looked a little green, as if she might be unwell. About seeing him? He scoffed at that thought. She came to him! Unannounced, uninvited!

"Um," she said, nibbling a bit on her lower lip. "Can you come outside?"

He peered at her through the space the slightly open door left her visible. Was this a trick? Was Black out there with her or something? That thought put him more on edge than he was a moment ago.

"And I'd want to do that, why?" He snarled the question at the thought of another woman doing Black's bidding.

"Severus Snape," his mother said from behind him. He glanced from the stranger to his mum, who was looking at him sternly. He could hear the ‘I raised you better than that' without her having to say a word.

He sighed with a huff, returning his attention to the visitor. He noticed the woman eyeing his mum with intrigue and, oddly, affection. There was also perhaps a bit of amusement in her eyes, matching the look he'd seen in his mother's eyes upstairs earlier.

What was that about?

"Yeah, fine," he mumbled. It was his mother's house after all. She wanted him to go outside. Well, he'd go outside. He opened the door wider so he could step outside.

He closed the door behind him, hoping this wasn't a mistake. (He was certain that it was.) He was living here rent free. He couldn't very well justify being rude to someone his mum seemed to want him to talk to.

Was this some sort of set up? His mum wanted him out of the house more than he was, so sent a girl to look for him? That didn't seem right, but he wouldn't put it past her. Except, she hadn't seemed unhappy that he was home. He'd gotten his favorite soup and sandwich for lunch more than once. (Evening meals were always made around Dad's favorites.) He was able to help with things his father couldn't. Or just didn't.

"I'm out here. What now?"

She huffed, regarding him with her head tilted a bit, as if she was taking him in. "You are a bit surly and to the point, aren't you?"

What was that for?

"You knocked on my door," he drawled.

"Right, I did. My name's Hermione Granger," she said.

"Okay," he said with an exhale. She didn't look too sure of herself. That sick look hadn't gone away either. "Is that supposed to mean something to me?"

"Not yet," she mumbled, but loud enough for him to hear.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

She sighed. She looked flustered. Good. Maybe she'd get on with this. Whatever this was. Or leave altogether, so he could get back to his planning.

"Close your eyes," she said.

"I'm sorry?" She wanted him to do what?

"I know you heard me. I know you don't know me, and that it goes against everything you know and think to trust anyone, let alone a stranger. But I'm asking you to close your eyes. Please?"

He sighed again. He looked into the window of his house, knowing his mum was likely watching to ensure he didn't scare away the only guest he'd ever had show up at their house that she seemed to find respectable. Not that many showed up ever before for her to consider at all.

"Fine," he said, closing them. He didn't like it, but he somehow didn't think his mum would set him up to be harmed in any fashion. "This had better be good, and if Pettigrew, Lupin, or Black sent you…" He almost mentioned Potter, too, but he couldn't have sent her. Well, Severus supposed the other wizard could from wherever he was hiding, but he hoped James Potter was worrying about more important things than Severus Snape and his quarrel with him.

"No, no, they didn't send me, Severus. I'd never hurt you," she said. With his eyes closed, unable to see her first, he had to weigh those words. And determine that she … meant them.

She grabbed his left hand then at the wrist. Hard. Not painfully so, but hard enough to let him know she wasn't going to let go, and that it wasn't inadvertent. She was a strong one, too, preventing him from pulling away, almost as if she expected him to not just let her touch him. He felt her set her palm against his. Her hand felt … warm, but more than that. Something base that made him want to simultaneously take his hand back and grab onto hers for dear life washed through him.

"Open your eyes," she whispered.

He did as asked, certain this was all just ridiculous and a waste of his time.

Her left hand was against his, which he knew, so that wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise? The mark on his left finger was glowing. Hers was, too, for that matter. For one of the first times he could recall he, Severus Snape, was rendered speechless. He simply stared at her, clearly she had some sort of explanation or reason for being here. She'd found him. How, when he was certain he'd never seen her before?

She inhaled sharply, as if realizing he wasn't pulling away and going back inside. He knew what the marks meant, even if he assumed him having one was a mistake of some sort. She was watching him, though and her eyes seemed as if they wanted to tell him … everything. Could eyes do that? He knew they could, through legilimency, but she wasn't attempting that.

"The first time Firenze saw you in your animagus form he said he thought that you looked like Fenrir," she said. She laced her fingers through his, but seemed to catch herself and stopped. "You think your form of a hellhound is evil. I, however, think it's appropriate for who and how you really are that no one but - well me - gets to see."

She wasn't wrong. About Fenrir, or his opinion about his animagus form, which was the reason he'd never registered. As far as he knew to this day, no one but Fenrir knew he had completed his animagus training. He swallowed, because she shouldn't know about it either. She certainly shouldn't know what he was, or what Fenrir had told him. Privately.

"How?"

"You told me. You also told me the marks wouldn't lie. Move your hand away from mine, Severus," she said softly, never taking her eyes off of him. It was a little unsettling, but he liked it. No one had ever looked at him as she was.

He did as she asked, not thinking too deeply on the fact that he hadn't pulled his hand away from hers until now, and he could have. At any time. He didn't want to let go, even realizing he could. For some reason his mind was telling him to grab on and never let go. He drew his hand away from hers, though, letting it fall to his side.

He could still see her mark. He scowled, certain it was a trick of the light. Or there was magic at play. Something. He looked at her face then, her eyes, and he saw no signs she was attempting to deceive him.

"Can you see mine?"

"No," she said.

"How?"

That shouldn't be possible. If she couldn't see his when they weren't touching, he shouldn't be able to see hers either. He was no expert, and he'd found very little in Hogwarts' library while he was a student about soul marks. Everything his mum had told him, and that he had heard, said he shouldn't be able to see hers.

"We have a lot to talk about, but I had to get you to want to talk to me first. I didn't know how else to do it. You told me not to go to Hogwarts, and said this Easter would be best."

He nodded a bit. She wasn't wrong, though he couldn't help but wonder when he'd told her these things, as he'd never seen her before today. To tell her secrets. Or to bond with her so that her mark was visible.

"I just finished my apprenticeship not that long ago, so am sort of in between things," he murmured. "I don't know you, though, so I couldn't have told you to go anywhere."

"Lucky," she said. "The apprenticeship part, I mean."

He scoffed at that and she smiled. There was … maybe not bitterness in that smile, but unhappiness.

"I didn't get the pleasure of sitting my NEWTs or a possible apprenticeship or internship."

"You are an odd witch," he said.

Who would want to sit their NEWTs? It was a necessary part of their education, but he hardly knew anyone who looked forward to it.

Except for himself.

He had, truthfully.

She laughed softly, tears in her eyes he noticed. Why on earth was she crying?

"I suppose that I am, but I know you looked forward to taking them as much as I was."

He bowed his head, unable to deny that. He'd never met anyone else who looked forward to sitting their NEWTs though. He was always the odd one out when it came to that sort of thing. Even when Lily was still talking to him, she hadn't understood his desire to study hard and to excel and strive for not just good grades, but the best grades.

She reached into her bag and pulled something out of it. "You told me to show you that you'd given this to me, too," she said.

His eyes widened.

He knew that ring she held in her hand.

Not personally, but he'd seen pictures of it.

It belonged to his mum's great grandmother. Maybe it was a great great grandmother. He couldn't remember. He'd been like ten when his mum told him about it. As if he cared about an old engagement ring his mum couldn't have.

Regardless, it was old, and it was from the Prince family. He was pretty sure other Prince's before his great/great great grandmother had worn it, too. His mom excluded, but she'd gone and married his father, a muggle, and been disowned.

"I couldn't have," he said simply. "Impossible. Whatever scheme you're trying to pull, you didn't do your research well enough. My mother would not have access to that."

"You're right, she wouldn't have, but you do."

He scoffed, wondering if he should get her some help. He knew without a doubt he had no such access to the Prince things.

"How?"

"Something to do with what I suspect is on your left arm," she said, glancing at his arm. She wouldn't see the Mark with the long-sleeved shirt he had on. How did she know? And if she knew, how was she so calm about it being there? "You accept the true wizarding ways or something." She shrugged. "I don't know. I wasn't there. You didn't tell me how you came by it specifically."

"Impossible, my father is a muggle. They disowned my mum. They'd never."

"Evidently they did, and also between you and me," she leaned in then, finding his ear. "Your father is not a muggle. He's a squib."

That was too much. Who the hell did this witch think she was? He would know if his father was from a magical family! His mum would have told him. "I don't know who you are…"

"He was a Travers," she continued, as if he hadn't said anything. "He was disowned himself, ironically, because of his rotten behavior as a result of being a squib. He changed his name and started living as a muggle. Your solicitor hypothesized that he pursued your mother, hoping a squib would produce a squib, and the Prince line would then be ruined. Why, he wasn't sure. If I'd had more time, I would have researched it myself. It might have just happenstance that he met your mother. You showed magical abilities very young, so his plan obviously failed."

"And he's basically ignored me all of my life as a result?"

"Evidently," she said. This was followed by a slight frown. Her eyes widened a bit, as if he'd said something interesting, or surprising.

Was what she said true? Could it be possible? Did his mum know? If she did know, why hadn't she told him before now? None of this made any sense.

Her being here, setting his soul mark to glowing, made no sense. He didn't like things that didn't make sense.

"Why are you here?"

"Well, I need to talk to you. We could go to that place a few streets over for fish and chips. You've said it was just as good when I knew you as it was when you were a boy. First, though. Can I? May I meet your mother?"

He scoffed. She was a bit presumptuous that he was going to leave with her. He still wasn't convinced this wasn't some sort of elaborate ruse. No one but his mum knew of his soul mark, though, so how anyone would know to use that to get him to lower his guard was baffling. Was this a setup by his mum after all? Did his mum even remember which finger he'd mentioned having a spot on it? It'd been years since they'd talked about it, like since he was pretty small and started taking baths on his own. He'd thought he was doing something wrong, unable to get the spot to wash off.

"Why would I go anywhere with you?"

"Because I'm asking you to, Severus. The marks cannot lie. You know that as well as I do."

"It could be a trick."

"By whom? You think, Vol… The Dark Lord? You think he'd want you to meet your soul mate and to know that it was me? I'm a muggleborn, he would not want that. You know it, I know it. So, no, I don't think so. So who else? James Potter or Sirius Black? No, they're rather busy to worry about bullying you anymore. Well at least James is as he, Lily, and Harry are in hiding anyway, are they not? Sirius, Remus, and Peter have better things to do than send me to muggle Cokeworth on the off chance you'll believe me. That's assuming, too, Sirius Black or the others would know about your soul mark. I'm betting no one does. Who have you ever told about it? Your mum, I imagine. Other than her? You wouldn't tell your dad, not knowing he was a squib and would know what it was."

He sighed heavily at the question. No one.

He'd never told anyone about the mark but his mother.

She was right.

Why would he dare admit to such a thing? That would have led to more torture by the Marauders, he was sure of it. They would never have believed that he was deserving of a marked soul mate. And if he was, why weren't they? Not that he knew they did or didn't have soul marks of their own, but Sirius Black and James Potter both were the type who would brag about such a thing. And, well, James wouldn't have married Lily if he had one. He didn't think he would, not at their age anyway, and he was pretty sure Lily didn't have one.

"Hear me out, Severus, and then if you want to send me on my way. Fine, but what I have to do would be a lot easier with you, at least your help, than by myself."

He turned and headed toward the front door, stopping as he put his hand on the door. She hadn't moved, and he was glad she didn't seem to be so certain of herself at this moment. She certainly wasn't lacking confidence otherwise.

"Well, are you coming in or not? I have to get my coat, if we're walking over there for fish and chips."

"Oh," she said, smiling brightly at him and he thought for a moment the smile was a pretty nice one. It did something to her brown eyes that he couldn't deny liking. He'd made her happy. He wasn't sure when the last time he'd made anyone happy was.

Voldemort and Dumbledore didn't count.

"Mum, this is Hermione Granger. We're going to get some fish and chips."

"Oh, okay," his mother said. His mother looked … relieved. That they were getting fish and chips? Or that he hadn't told her to leave?

"It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Snape," Hermione said, offering the older witch her hand Severus noticed.

"You, too, dear. Are you friends of Severus' from Hogwarts?"

There was a tone in his mum's voice that suggested to Severus she already knew the answer to her question. So why did she ask then?

"Sort of, it's a long story, madam, but I was in the neighborhood and remembered Severus telling me about that fish and chips place nearby. I figured he'd like a break from sitting in his room all day."

That comment was met with an amused chortle by his mum, and a scoff by him. The nerve of this witch! She wasn't saying anything untrue. Still, she didn't need to rub it in that he had nothing to do with his time but to prepare for his position in September.

He could watch television and stuff, sure, but honestly he felt so weird being here again full-time that sticking to his room was best.

And go to death eater events.

"It is delicious," his mum said.

He smiled a bit with a shake of his head. His mum was the reason he knew of the place. They didn't go often, but it was a place they'd go when he was in primary school more than just occasionally. They were never swimming in money, but if he had a really bad day, she always seemed to know, find an extra few pounds she hadn't known she had, and they'd find their way there.

"Can we bring you some back?" the witch asked.

"Oh, no, you don't have to…"

"We'd be happy to, Mum," Severus said.

His mum didn't indulge in takeaway very often, and she liked the fish and chips place this witch mentioned as much as he did. He wondered if she'd even been there since he'd gone to Hogwarts. He supposed she could go by herself, but wasn't sure she'd do that. He was a little ashamed this witch thought of offering and he hadn't, but his mum didn't treat herself very often. And she wouldn't ask.

"That does sound good."

"Not a problem," he said.

"Are you from Cokeworth?" his mum asked.

Severus scoffed. No one was from Cokeworth anymore. Certainly no one of Hermione's apparent station in life was. Apparent station, meaning she was dressed decently, and talked and acted as if she had been … raised right (his mother's words).

"No, London actually, like I said, I was just in the neighborhood, and took the chance Severus would be home."

Can you hear me, Severus?

Severus almost missed the sleeve of his coat at the intrusion into his mind. She shouldn't be able to do that! Dumbledore had worked hard with him those last few months of his seventh year and before he left for the continent to get him proficient at occlumency. Whenever they saw one another now they worked on it. The Dark Lord was one of the best legilimens around, which meant that Severus had to be as good, or better, at both it and occlumency to stay alive.

He nodded simply in response. Answering her aloud would make him sound crazy to his mum.

I have no muggle money, but I can repay you in galleons for all of our meals.

He nodded again, ensuring he had his wallet on him.

The nerve! No money, inviting herself to eat with him, and offer lunch for his mum, too.

On his dime!

"It's very nice of you to call on Severus while you are here. He doesn't get many visitors."

"Mother," he said cautiously. She didn't need to tell this witch how truly pathetic his existence was. He was twenty-one. He should have a social life. Friends. Sadly, he really didn't have either.

"He knew I would if I ever made it here."

"Did you have an apprenticeship, too?"

If he wasn't mistaken, his mum sounded a little cheeky again. He only noticed it because he was quite sure he'd never heard his mother use that tone in his life. Until today. He regarded the two of them again. Was this some sort of ploy? A trick? No, his mum wouldn't do that. She just wouldn't. His mum never saw his soul mark to know where exactly it was beyond on his finger. And she wouldn't have been able to make Miss Granger's stay visible.

"No, I had some on the job training, and found myself with a bit of a break. So here I am."

"I see," she said, and didn't seem all that confused or concerned by her answer.

Severus didn't think the answer made much sense, but he imagined that was part of what she said they needed to talk about. On the job training? For what? She didn't look old enough to have a job. She was younger than he was.

"Well, enjoy your lunch. It's nice to know Severus has a nice friend."

"Mum," he said with a shake of his head.

He knew she didn't like his supposed friends. That was the point, of course. She hadn't met many, but she knew the only friends he had these days were associated with the death eaters and the Dark Lord. She didn't know about the prophecy he'd been instructed to reveal, or about the agreement he'd entered into with Albus Dumbledore three years ago now. So she did not, and could never, know that he was not truly on the Dark Lord's side.

"We will," he said.

"No wards on the house?" Hermione asked once they left, glancing back at it.

"Not strong ones, no. Just enough to offer some protection. You didn't feel them?"

"No."

"Hmmph," he said.

That wasn't normal either. His wards were sufficient enough. He couldn't cast what he'd like to because of his father.

So, she should have felt them. He wasn't inept, no matter how subtle they were.

"You set them, I assume?" she asked.

"I did," he said with a nod. He shrugged then with a sigh. "Mum won't." It frustrated him that she wouldn't. Likely once he left for Hogwarts in August, the house would be unprotected until he returned.

"Well, maybe they're not that different from what you used later."

"How much later?"

She gave a low laugh, as if not being surprised he asked that question. He was surprised he was able to wait until now. Asking in front of his mother would have sounded crazy, though.

"It was 1997 when you first brought me here."

"I still live at my parents' home in sixteen years?"

Holy shit! Really? Was that the life he was to lead? Living at home for his entire adult life?

"Not with them, but yes."

He scoffed at that, glancing back at the house in question. "I'd assumed that place would be nothing but a distant memory soon."

"It doesn't work out that way. Where I come from anyway."

That could change, right? His future wasn't cast in stone was it? He did not want to live here for any longer than he absolutely had to.

"Apparently."

They walked in silence for a bit.

"So, London?"

She glanced at him, clearly surprised by his question. He wasn't sure why he asked it, other than the base fact that this witch had been chosen for him and evidently in sixteen years (less?) he - they - must do something to get her mark to be visible. He brought his left hand to the back of his neck, feeling himself blush despite the rather crisp spring day.

"Yes."

"Hogwarts?"

"Yes."

"But you didn't get to sit your NEWTs or do an apprenticeship?"

He wasn't sure what it said that he was most curious about that. He had plenty of questions for sure, but he didn't see himself being mated and marked with someone who would drop out of school. He would expect better, more, from his mate, just as he'd driven himself to succeed.

"Correct."

"Did you get in trouble?"

She scoffed and looked both amused and put out at the very suggestion. "No. I'll tell you everything, Severus. I promise."

If she knew him in 1997, and she looked like this now. Merlin, was she even alive yet at this point in time? How much older than her was he?

"How did you do that before at my house?" He decided to focus on a safer question, for now.

"Do what?"

"Talk to me that way?"

"You've been working with me on occlumency and legilimency for over a year. Your mind has never been completely closed off to me, even when you're occluding hard. Well, unless you're trying to test my legilimency skills anyway. I didn't want to admit in front of your mother I had no muggle currency. I thought that would look even more suspicious than just my showing up here. So I took the chance."

"It's been quite some time since anyone has been able to do that."

"I know," she said with a slight smirk he noticed.

They got to the diner, ordered their food, and he scowled as the witch had the audacity to cast his own Muffliato spell at their table. And she laughed! She laughed at his scowl.

"Is there anything of mine I didn't share with you?"

"Hmm, well, not that I'm aware of, no. I mean, I'm sure there's plenty I don't know."

"You're how old?"

"Nineteen. Or if you want to be technical," she said with a tilt of her head and sticking the tip of her tongue out a bit with a smirk. "I'm nineteen months old."

"So if you're nineteen, I would have been…" 

His eyes widened.

Good lord, had he molested a student?

Even at this age, that idea would never occur to him. If she was nineteen, she mentioned 1997, so he was at least eighteen years older than her. Soul mark or not, that would be absolutely abhorrent. He'd get sacked! Worse than that and the embarrassment of that disgrace after being hired as the youngest professor in Hogwarts history. Well, Dumbledore would see him in Azkaban for sure.

How had they even gotten close enough to find out they shared soul marks?

She must have known what he was thinking. She settled her hand over his, patted it lightly. "You did absolutely nothing untoward, Severus. You were respectful, truly. You did nothing wrong. You would not go to Azkaban for what happened."

"You're almost half my age, Hermione!"

"There were circumstances, Severus. If you'll let me explain."

"Fine," he said with a huff.

He knew he was not a particularly great catch even now, and couldn't imagine that improving over the next sixteen years. So, soul mark or not, why would someone bond themselves to him when he was nearly twenty years older than she was?

Peculiarly curious.

"First," she said. "Can I do something?"

"What?" he gritted out with impatience.

Was it not enough that he was here with her? She wanted more? Evidently so!

She stood then, reaching across the table, causing him to wince less than subtly. He should have known this was a trick of some sort. Except, she didn't strike him as he expected and prepared for. Instead, she merely grazed his cheek with her thumb as she slid some of his hair behind his ear.

"There, thank you," she said. "Now I can actually see you. You still do that, by the way. Use your hair as a shield."

He didn't know what to say or do to that. No one had ever dared touch him in such a fashion before. He was used to the type of attention that Potter and Black liked to pay to him, but this was foreign.

His cheek felt warm where she'd touched, and not like the usual warmth he might expect either.

He huffed again, tempted to put his hair back the way it was. In part to see if she'd do it again, but he refrained from being that petty.

Or needy.

Yes, he could admit to himself that he was that. She didn't need to know it, though.

He truly wanted to hear whatever this story was she had to tell him. He didn't want to admit it, but he knew his curiosity was piqued and he would sit here until she did.

He wanted to know.

"I'm surprised to be honest that you came with me this easily."

"As you say, the marks cannot lie. The ring cannot lie," he said, gesturing to it. "You wouldn't seek me out and show me a stolen ring."

"No," she said. "I mean some might be so brazen, but I'm not one of them."

He nodded simply. She didn't seem the type. Then at this particular moment, after everything that had happened the past few years, he wasn't sure if he was a very good judge of types and character. When Lucius, Bellatrix, and Rodolphus had approached him initially, he'd been intrigued. Intrigued enough that he'd been invited to a few of their gatherings to get a glimpse as to what the Dark Lord was offering.

His opinion of Lucius took a severe downturn after those first couple of gatherings. Could he not see what this was going to lead to? Was his somewhat friend that thirsty for (more) riches and blood purity that he'd follow someone he really didn't know? Someone who was not a pureblood himself. Did no one else see the irony in the fact that they were following someone who was not pure?

Severus wasn't sure who did and didn't know who Voldemort truly was, and that he was a half-blood. Severus only knew because of the headmaster. It was one of the few things he was forthcoming about. He wanted Severus to know who their enemy was, and to prepare Severus because he saw a lot of parallels between the two wizards.

Or so the headmaster said anyway.

"So, I have to believe you."

"I know that's not easy for you."

She canceled the Muffliato. "Let's eat, and then we can talk. This looks too good to ruin."

"Fine," he said, and he couldn't deny it did look good. Looking a little closer at her now, she looked like she could use a good meal or two. As if as thin as she was wasn't normal. The green tone to her face he noticed earlier was gone now, so that was good.

"This is delicious. I haven't eaten much the past few weeks, preparing to come here."

He scoffed at that.

"What?"

"I don't know you, but even I can tell as thin as you are isn't from only a week or two of not eating well."

"It's part of my story."

"Fine," he said with a shake of his head.

"These were really good the first time I brought them to Harry, which thank you for the recommendation if I didn't remember to thank you for it before. I realize you don't know either, but I don't remember thanking you so. That was in December I think. Hmm. Anyway. Having them here fresh instead of thirty minutes later after four apparitions in December is definitely better."

"And you had to apparate four times from here because?"

"To be sure I wasn't followed and also, I suppose, so that I wasn't tracked to our house as it's basically secret-kept since only you and I know where it is."

He regarded her. This witch certainly believed these things she was saying. What was he doing sixteen years from now that he found out this witch, who was years younger than him, was his marked soul mate?

The marks did not lie.

She was right.

His mother had told him many years ago what the mark was that he saw (but she couldn't) on his finger. He'd dismissed it as nonsense, though, when he met Lily. Eventually, he realized she was not meant for him. That left him believing that there was no witch meant for him, though, because Lily was the only person he let get close enough to to get to know him.

And yet this witch, judging by the fact her mark was visible and his was, as of yet, not, was truly his witch in every sense of the word. He wouldn't be able to see it otherwise without their hands touching. Thinking on it now, though, he must have held onto hope even subconsciously. He had to have, because he had had to do some quick thinking and fast talking to get out of some of the baser things the death eaters liked to indulge in the past couple of years. Being in the middle of his apprenticeship had helped.

His master was not a death eater, only someone who was sympathetic toward the Dark Lord, but neither of his masters wanted to risk losing their potions person with him ending up in Azkaban over raping and pillaging. He didn't want to do those things, though. He was marked for another. It was bad enough the things he had done in his role as spy. Bedding a woman who was not his marked mate just did not sit well with him. How would he explain it to her if he did meet her?

In truth, the idea of being so exposed to someone, of allowing someone to get that close to him, held absolutely no appeal. And any witch who would voluntarily let him take her to bed he would be naturally suspect of. 

To this point, the desire to wait until marriage and the use of potions that stunted erections kept him from having to engage in those activities. He had no idea how long that would be true now that he was back here.

Did he truly trust this witch that much that he allowed himself to be completely exposed to her? Forget clothes being removed, he knew full well clothing removal was not necessarily a requirement of the actual act. That wasn't the type of exposure that … bothered him.

Did she know? Did she know all that he had done and still accepted their bond? Even two years in without engaging in the raping, he'd indulged in some soul-tarnishing activities.

"You are muggleborn?"

"Yes," she said.

"You know what I am? What I have done?"

"I know many things about you, Severus, yes. I knew you liked this diner."

"It's not far from my home, so it's not unreasonable that I would."

"Eat here, yes, but not necessarily like it."

He shrugged. "True enough."

Silence as they both ate.

"How many courses would you have sat NEWTs for?" he asked.

"Ten."

"Ten? And I thought I was ambitious."

"The only one I won't sit is Divination."

He snorted at that. "I don't blame you there."

"Professor Trelawney is a charlatan," she said.

So Trelawney was still there at least sixteen years in the future. Interesting. He also hoped that she was a charlatan, but he thought it best he refrain from saying that at the moment. If she wasn't, that meant her prophecy was right, and Lily was in danger.

That comment led to a lengthy silence between them.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought her up," she said finally, evidently unable to stay quiet for long. "I know about the prophecy, and that you told him about it."

He shrugged. What could he say? He'd done exactly what she said he'd done. Only Dumbledore knew that he was the one who told Severus about the prophecy, and that he wanted the Dark Lord to know about it.

That led to a more uncomfortable bit of silence. What was she thinking? What if she didn't like this version of him and decided to go off on whatever she was here for on her own. To find a more suitable wizard.

Finally she spoke again after they were completely finished eating. She'd eaten everything, even some of his chips. He left them intentionally for her he only just now understood. She needed them more than he did. He wasn't sure where the desire to … take care of her came from, but she did obviously need nourishment more than he did.

"Can we go back to your house to talk? Your father won't be home for a while yet, right?"

"I suppose," he said. "And no he won't."

"I'd prefer privacy. I have things to show you that I probably shouldn't here where others might see."

"Okay," he said.

They ordered his mom's take-away before heading back.

x.x.x.

Hermione knew she had one chance not to blow this, and get Severus to come with her. Hell, she had one chance for him to believe her and not turn her out. Or worse, send her to the Janus Thickey Ward. She wouldn't accomplish her task if he did that, so she could not screw this up. The hunting for the horcruxes she could do alone, maybe. Getting the cup and diary would be challenging without help, though. She'd prefer it be him she got that help from. He would have an in to Malfoy Manor she did not.

And okay.

Forget coming with her, though, as important as that was. She wanted him to like her. That was important to her. Really important. On a base level so deep she couldn't explain or describe it if she had to.

"Mum," Severus said when they got back to his house. "We're back. We're going up to my room for a bit. I'll set your lunch in the kitchen."

He stopped in the kitchen to put the takeout container in there. She eyed them, Hermione noticed. She knew when his mom spotted the ring. She didn't miss the small smile and nod she gave Hermione.

"If you must."

"Thank you, Mrs. Snape," Hermione said politely.

Hermione followed Severus up to his room, as if she didn't know the way.

"Wow," she said. "This room is practically empty when I see it."

"It is?"

"Yeah," she said.

She went to one of the bookcases and let her fingers trail along the spines as she took in the titles. She found his copy of The Once and Future King , a book that he had given her as a Christmas gift the first time he saw her outside of Hogwarts without using the time turner or clouding her memories of the time spent with him.

"You like that book?" he asked. He sounded … suspicious. He likely was, because she hadn't told him much of anything yet.

She looked at him then, knowing she had tears in her eyes. God, she hadn't thought seeing a book seventeen years previously would make her cry. What was wrong with her?

"Yes, I do."

She slid her hand into her bag and summoned her copy. Well, it was his copy, of course, but he'd gifted it to her. Would it cause a problem having both copies of the book in the same place and time? She hoped not.

"You gave it to me for Christmas."

She handed him the book he'd given her. He took it, paging through it looking, she supposed, for some sign that it was a charm or something.

"What else do you have in that bag?"

She laughed softly at that, wiping her cheeks again as he handed the book back to her. She slid it back into the bag and took a seat on the floor with her back against the bed.

"All right. You seem to believe that I'm from when I say I am at any rate. I was prepared for more of a fight on that, honestly. I guess that whole the marks don't lie thing is valid in that, too. Because clearly if mine is visible and yours isn't, I'm not from now."

She wasn't sure she'd believe as easily as he did, truthfully. Though her mark being visible when his wasn't would mean something was going on.

"That was the selling point, yes," he said. He didn't sound happy about admitting that was true. She stifled the amused smile that wanted to come out. That wouldn't help right now.

She sighed softly, closing her eyes, debating on where to start. What to start with. She had so much to show him. She decided to go with facts, something he couldn't argue with even if he wanted to.

She started with things in his bag, actually most of her proof was in his bag. She wouldn't just leave it with him if he threw her out on her ear, but she could leave some things. It had the Daily Prophets and Quibblers as well as a few muggle newspapers that reported on the increasing violence, even if those reporting on it didn't know what it represented.

"You were actually quite organized in the event I had to make this trip," she said, knowing her voice was shaky. She couldn't help it. She loved and hated that he'd thought of all of this.

"Oh?"

"Yes. I was told not to come back just for you, only if he won. You seemed to prepare me for that. His winning. Set out things you knew would mean something to you."

"He?"

"The Dark Lord. I'm not sure of your mindset currently. You didn't tell me much about this time. I know you're going to start at Hogwarts in September, so I assume you are now a member of the Order."

"It seems I've told you everything else. Why not?"

"Our time together was rather short, Severus, and you were, I presume anyway, ashamed of some of your past actions. I didn't make you tell me things. Assuming I had the power to make you tell me anything. I know you took the Mark willingly, and I know you had second thoughts around this time."

His eyes widened a fraction at that. What had she said that surprised him? She shook her head. She would have time to ask about that later. She couldn't focus on a facial gesture now.

"So, am I to surmise then that I have met my end and the Dark Lord has prevailed in the time you come from?"

Straight and to the point. This Severus had no idea how much he'd gone through to the point in time she knew him. This Severus had no idea how much it gutted her that she wouldn't get that wizard again. No matter what. No matter if she stayed in 1981 or returned to 1998, he would be different from the man she'd come to know and love.

"Yes," she said with a shuddering breath.

He took a deep breath then, nodded simply, seeming to process that fact quickly and without … getting angry. She wondered if she would be able to, if their situation was reversed. She'd never find out.

He took the copies of the Daily Prophet and Quibbler from her. She was quiet as he paged through them. She didn't want to distract him from focusing on what he was reading.

She watched him as he did, though. It was no hardship to do so, even at this age. This was her wizard. Even just being this close to him after weeks of not made her feel … better.

Whole.

Periodically he'd stop reading, lift his head and stare at her for a moment. He wouldn't say anything, though, and she let him have the quiet he needed while he digested the information she was giving him. She knew now was not the time to be overly talkative. There was nearly twenty years of it for him to digest and process. He had held nothing back. He'd saved so much that she wondered if he'd intended on using the time turner himself to try to change things, knowing he'd need these things to prove to his younger self just how bad things got. She wouldn't put it past him to be prepared for anything.

The final copies were courtesy of his solicitor's squib investigator. They detailed the Battle of Hogwarts and the aftermath of the week or so following Harry Potter's defeat.

"You escaped?"

"Barely, but yes. The anti-apparition wards were down, I disillusioned myself, and fled. I knew I wasn't going to be able to kill him. So I left. I came here," she said, gesturing to his room. Their house. "In my time."

He nodded then, setting the copies of the Prophet and Quibbler aside.

"Do you need a minute?"

"No," he said. "I think I'd rather get it over with."

"Yes, well, we're alike in that regard. So," she said.

She showed him the marriage bonding certificate, which the squib investigator (she really should have learned his name because she felt terrible referring to him as nothing but the squib) said as far as he knew no one had become aware of its existence. Who would have looked for a bonding certificate in the middle of a war? Who would have thought Severus Snape had a soul mark to be able to bond with someone?

She showed him copies of the papers he'd had his solicitor draw up, leaving her quite literally everything (including the Prince estate and vault she knew he noticed).

"So this is in actuality your home?"

"Yes, in 1998," she said. "I have my parents' home, too. I came here afterward, after the battle I mean, thinking this was safer because his followers know where my parents lived."

"Lived?"

"I altered their memories and sent them to Australia before Harry, Ronald, and I went on our journey because of what I saw as a viable threat. I'm pretty sure them being gone, and my being at Hogwarts, is the only reason the house is still standing. Now I get to repeat the journey and hope that he's defeated the first time for good. In this year."

He hissed softly at that. "That's what you're here for?"

"Yes," she said. "Before we get to that," she said.

She shifted, sitting across from him with her legs criss-crossed. She made sure she was comfortable because she knew she could be sitting here for a bit with this part.

"I want you to perform legilimens on me. There are things I need to show you, Severus. I can tell you, but seeing them would be more beneficial, I think. And I know you won't let me perform it on you, at least not yet. I'm not insulted. I'd probably have something to say to you if you just let me hours after meeting me."

"You trust me?"

She smirked, her eyes never wavering from his. He not only sounded, but looked equally shocked that was true. "I always have."

Wandlessly, she closed his door most of the way. Being respectful of his mum being home, she left it slightly ajar. She knew his mum would leave them alone. She didn't know why Hermione was here now necessarily, but she knew if she was here, there was a reason. Hermione hadn't told Eileen Snape when they'd meet again. His father, if they took too long may not leave them alone, and wouldn't like coming home to them in Severus' bedroom alone together with the door closed. 

Well, maybe he would like it, Severus had implied once that his father thought there was something wrong with him because he was never interested in girls or had any over.

Then she felt him in her mind, stopping her from thinking about his mum or dad. It was so different from what she was accustomed to. He had almost twenty years to improve on his skill and tactic. It wasn't clumsy or painful, but just not as seamless.

He saw that thought too and scowled at her, which caused her to chuckle.

You have big shoes to fill. What can I say?

Certain he was ready, she tilted her head a bit, deciding where to start.

She showed him some of her memories from Hogwarts. Some of the crueler things he'd said and done, not necessarily to her but to those around her. She had to, she felt it was important he knew the good and the bad, and that she still trusted, liked, and loved him.

She pushed to him the memory of when he first gave her The Crucible during her sixth year and, with it, memories of him having seen her throughout her life. She didn't share all of the memories, as they didn't all matter, but she showed him the one he'd shared with her of the day she was born. His mark coming to life as it recognized her even then, and the first time he saw her mark. She was in the infirmary after the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. He was trying to figure out how to combat Dolohov's curse and when his left hand got close to her, he knew.

She showed him the Christmas holidays they'd watched films together, the evening he'd given her his copy of The Once and Future King . He tried to play it off as if it hadn't been his copy, but she discovered from a slip of paper in the book that it had been his. Honestly, she felt better about him giving her a collectable book that he owned than him spending a lot of money on a gift for her. Especially at that point!

She showed him memories of life on the run with Harry and Ronald. The things her Severus didn't see and only heard about some of them. She showed him all of the things he taught her, all of the evenings he spent his time to ensure that she, Harry, and Ron would survive. He knew by then that he'd been asked to kill Professor Dumbledore and that his death would result in the three of them seeking out the items Dumbledore and Harry had been hunting for.

She showed him the first night they'd accepted the bond.

She showed when she decided to alter her parents' memories, the memories of the articles in the Prophet and the London Times she read that led to the decision, and then the act of sending her parents away.

She showed him the last few weeks in 1998, spent in hiding here at their home, fearing for her life when she did go out. Not knowing if Ron, any other Weasleys or members of the Order were alive or dead. Feeling guilty for not checking on them, but self-preservation was everything. She was the one with the tool to fix things. Mourning for Severus and her best friend who was essentially her brother, but knowing she had to do this. Severus had left her the ability to fix things, and given her information on how to sway him to her side in this time.

Okay, maybe that hadn't been his intention, but he had to know if they failed and she had to come back here that she'd rather have him with her then to go it alone. And her Severus would not want her going alone. If he hadn't had his role to play as headmaster, she imagined he likely would have insisted he accompany them.

She showed him the first time they saw each other after the escape from Malfoy Manor. Her fear that he would no longer want her, marked as a mudblood for anyone to see when her arm was visible, his acceptance, and her wolf and his hellhound together. The relief she'd felt that scarred with that word carved onto her body for all to see he still wanted … loved her. That he cared enough to work on a salve for her wound to help it heal (which he had of course done successfully). Sadly she didn't have much of the salve left.

She showed him everything she felt was important and crucial to their bond until there were no more memories left to share with him.

Last, she showed him visiting him as a newborn in the hospital when he was hours old. To her it was only a few weeks ago. He saw her touch his left hand with hers. Both their fingers glowed despite his young age, just as hers had done for him in 1979 when he'd done this same thing.

Proof they were marked for each other.

The first thing he did when he pulled out of her mind was take hold of her left arm, pushing her sleeve up, and hissing slightly at the scar there. It was vastly improved from when she initially got it in March, but it was still a visible scar. And pretty obvious what it said. He closed the door the rest of the way and cast his muffliato around them.

He stared for a moment, as if he was searching for the right words. She didn't mind, though, because his thumb was grazing over the scar on her arm, and she relished in the contact. Her Severus or not, his touch felt right.

"The others who are part of the Dark Lord's … cult. They do not seem to realize what he's doing, what he's preaching will lead to. I tried to tell Lucius, but he was too far taken in by then. I admit I didn't try that hard. I wanted to live, so I posed it as a question. Once. A very carefully worded question. They do not think it will end up like what you have shown me."

"I know," she whispered.

"I just," he shrugged, and she scooted toward him.

"I know, Severus," she said, reaching to touch him.

She stopped herself, though. She couldn't just touch him. She was a virtual stranger as far as he was concerned. One thing he'd just said caught her attention to.

"What do you mean you tried to tell Lucius?" He'd never told her that. Ever. She wasn't upset he hadn't shared every detail of his past, or anything, but this was a pretty major thing not to tell her.

"Evidently, there was a change. I don't know the catalyst. Perhaps you do? From the memories you showed me he - I - took the Mark originally of my own free will. My desire to be a part of that?"

"Yes."

"I did not. Lucius Malfoy, the Lestranges, and others tried to sway me, for certain. I feared that exactly what you're telling me happened would. I didn't believe he'd stop. I thought there was more nefariousness and evil to his plotting than he was letting on to the others. I approached Dumbledore with my concerns shortly after he'd heard the prophecy from Trelawney. I told the Dark Lord, yes, but at Dumbledore's insistence. I took the Mark in order to ingratiate myself to the Dark Lord and to, hopefully, gain footing into his inner circle to provide the Order with information. He felt I'd be mostly protected from doing anything truly foul being on the continent for my apprenticeship. And he was right. To a point."

"So you've always been…"

"Yes," he said. "I trust that you can occlude that information sufficiently?"

"Of course I can," she said, affronted at the suggestion that he had done less than ensure she was proficient.

Had she done that?

Had her visit to his mum years ago, though to Hermione it was only about a month ago, altered things more than she anticipated? She just wanted to ensure the woman had some money, the means to leave if she wanted to. Severus had never said if his mum thought of leaving, so she didn't know. Obviously, she was still here in 1981, so she hadn't left.

The muffliato was canceled and he wandlessly opened the door back to the slightly open it had been before. She understood. Even his mum didn't know the truth. That must really … hurt her, to think her son would become a death eater.

"Ah, yes, there's the inkling of a woman who could be my witch," he chuckled, obviously finding her irritation at him questioning her occlumency abilities amusing.

"We can stop it from happening, Severus. We can prevent so many people from needlessly dying, but I need your help. We need to find and destroy these items. I know where they are, but two I will definitely need help with. One is currently, I believe anyway, in Lucius Malfoy's library. The other is in his sister-in-law's Gringotts vault."

"I'm not sure about Bellatrix's Gringotts vault, but I can get you into the Malfoy library."

"I sort of figured you would be able to. I know you are friends with Lucius Malfoy."

"No, you're missing my meaning. As in this weekend, I can. I've been invited to be their guest for Easter dinner and any of the weekend's festivities I wish to join in on. I hadn't planned on going to anything but dinner on Sunday."

"They won't ask questions?"

"You're my guest. We have soul marks and found one another. We can't tell them the truth?"

"Well, first of all, mine is visible, yours is not."

"So?" He wasn't deliberately being obtuse. She knew that. He knew full well why that would be an issue.

"I would imagine someone as into blood status as Lucius Malfoy will know that means I've accepted my bond, Severus."

"Well, that's easily solved. Accept it with me."

She opened her mouth to respond.

She loved Severus Snape, yes, but her Severus Snape.

She didn't know this Severus Snape well enough. Not really.

Yes, she knew the things told to her by him and others, but that didn't translate to knowing him. And to be honest, this Severus seemed a little less prickly than she expected. And, obviously, if he was acting as a spy for the past two years, things were not the same as they had been with her Severus. So that meant she may not really know this Severus as well as she thought that she did.

The changes could have something to do with one of her stops, her first visit to his mother, before coming to 1981. She probably would never know for sure.

Yes, she'd accepted her mark with him, but it was her him. She wasn't sure she could just have sex with him so that his was also visible. Was that wrong? She didn't think so.

She needed the emotional connection they had shared. She wanted him to want and love her, not have sex with her just as a means to an end. His loving her wasn't here yet. Her first time had been good. She didn't want her second first time to be anything but that, or tainted with need vs want.

"Severus Snape," his mother's voice came from the other side of the door.

"Mum, what are you doing listening at a closed door?"

"It wasn't totally closed," she said, pushing her way in.

Hermione's lips lifted a bit as his mum pointed her finger at him as she strode to him and slapped him on the top of his head. What Ron and Harry would give to see Severus' mum shaking her finger at him.

One thing Hermione noticed, though, as amusing as it might be.

He didn't wince or react as if he thought she might hurt him, Hermione noticed. She couldn't help but gain some respect for this woman. She took it to mean that he did not expect physical discipline from her. She noticed because he had winced when she'd reached to push his hair away from his face at the diner earlier.

"I raised you better than to talk to a young lady that way."

"What? Her mark is visible. She's obviously accepted the bond! What did I say?"

She tsk'd in that ‘honestly' tone that only mothers seemed to have down perfectly. Hermione knew her mum did, too.

"That is not the way to talk to your soul mate, Severus!"

"Am I wrong?" He asked with a huff.

"You aren't wrong, but instead of saying something untoward that might make your witch think you believe she's loose, or that you don't respect her and what being her mate means, you could think with that brain I know that you have. You could use a charm to disguise the mark for the day," his mother offered.

"I'm not sure that I'm confident enough in my charms work to count on it lasting for days," he said. "It would be for hours on Sunday, and if she wants to go Saturday. I can't very well ask Professor Flitwick to do it."

"The ring covers it if it does fade, but I could do it," his mother offered.

"Mum."

"She has a Prince ring, Severus. She would not have that ring if she was not immensely important to you."

"I don't know her!"

"The ring would not allow her to wear it if the intent to give it to her hadn't been there, Severus Snape. She was bonded to you, and wears a Prince heirloom she could not have stolen or just picked up and put on to try to further her story along in an effort to deceive you. It would not have allowed her to do so. You were going to marry the witch."

"I still don't know her!"

"And yet you're suggesting she let you bed her to avoid suspicion being cast on her instead of using your head to think of the tools in your arsenal you have access to. Are you a wizard or aren't you? I raised you better than to talk to anyone in that fashion, let alone your marked soul mate."

"You don't even use magic!"

"What your father doesn't know…"

"I suppose," he said.

"Severus. I didn't hear all of it, but if she's your soul mate and shares your mark and hers is visible, it doesn't take a genius to realize that she's traveled here from quite a distance."

It was very interesting watching the two of them interact. Severus hadn't talked much about his parents, but she didn't get the impression there had ever been teasing, bickering, or playful slaps to his head that weren't abusive. Those she saw while visiting the Weasleys. By the siblings as well as between the parents and siblings.

She was probably screwing this up ten different ways to Sunday, exposing herself to Severus so quickly and sharing what she had with his mother in the past.

"Fine," he said with a huff.

"Apologize to your witch, Severus, for even making such a suggestion."

He rolled his eyes. "I still don't think I said anything wrong, but if you insist. I apologize."

She bit her lower lip, trying to fight back the tears. It wasn't that she was offended or insulted. It was just that he was so matter of fact about suggesting they have sex. Just one of the differences between this wizard and the one she had gotten to know. (She realized the fact he was twenty-one might influence his thinking.)

"She cannot go there as a muggleborn witch, though," he said.

"Of course not. I have robes. You told me, in fact, to prepare for visiting the Malfoys."

"I did?"

"You saw the note you left for me," she said.

"I believe it said to meet them in."

She rolled her eyes again, huffing in frustration. So this was how he was going to be! She took a deep breath, stopping from responding. She didn't want to argue with him, or have him take sarcasm on her part sincerely.

"What about my scar?" she asked, gesturing to her arm.

"I believe we can do something with that, too," his mom said.

"I can't meet them as Hermione Granger," she said. "I know them later. They may not recognize me right away, but they would eventually if they saw me now. And Hermione is not a common name for there to be two in the magical world within ten years."

"So, we'll come up with another name," he offered with a shrug.

Hermione was stopped from thinking more about her name by his mum chiming into the conversation.

"You know, I also have robes," his mother said. "I know you said you have some, but mine would be more than just appropriate for spending Easter dinner and any other time with the Malfoys. Would you care to look with me, dear?"

"I'd love to, Mrs. Snape."

"Eileen, please. Even if my son refuses to acknowledge what that ring and your mark being visible means, I can, and you are my daughter in-law."

Hermione blushed at that. She knew she was right, but she hadn't expected his mum to be so … accepting and welcoming. When she saw her, years ago now to his mum, Hermione could tell the witch was suspect of what Hermione was telling her. Despite having the ring in her possession. So, here and now, in this current time she'd expected some pushback, or something. Maybe she'd taken the time in between then and now to think about it.

Missing her parents, realizing she hadn't seen them in a year now, and may never again. Well, Eileen's acceptance and request to be informal made Hermione burst into tears.

She didn't understand it. She wasn't prone to crying jags, but this woman's kindness was exactly what she needed right now.

"Am I really going with you?"

The question came after she'd finally gotten her crying under control. She was sure she looked a fright, too. Red and puffy eyes did wonders for impressing your soul mate who you've known for two years but to him you were a stranger.

How embarrassing!

"I don't really have a choice, do I?"

She sighed heavily. It was precisely the answer she'd expect, but not the one she wanted! Her Severus wouldn't have seen it as his hands were tied to do this. She didn't want him doing this because he saw no other way out of it. She wasn't trying to force him, but it would be so much easier to get the horcruxes with his help.

"You have a choice, Severus."

He scowled, glancing at the certificate that the Ministry had on file to indicate that they were a bonded pair and his will leaving her everything. No one else had been named in the will. No parents. No friends. No children. She knew he saw that, the first time he'd looked at the documents and again now.

"It doesn't really seem as if I do. Not really, unless I want to be a complete arse to the person who's supposedly my witch. That doesn't seem like a great way to kick things off," he said, gesturing to the documents. She knew that was difficult for him to admit. Then she supposed she wouldn't really care for the knowledge that things had been predetermined for her either. The soul marks aside. "Do you want to come with me to Diagon Alley so I can send them an owl indicating I will be bringing a guest?"

"Why don't you see my robes before you go, in case none meet your needs," his mother said. "You could get some while you're there."

"That's very kind of you, Eileen. Thank you."

"Severus, you get yourself presentable while we look."

"I look perfectly fine."

"Not to be seen with a witch for the first time, you're not. Not just a witch, Severus Tobias Snape, your witch. You are a reflection on her, just as she is on you. If you have no pride in yourself, think of her."

He huffed, but stood and grabbed a towel before heading to the bathroom.

Hermione followed his mom down the stairs and into the basement.

"So different from the basement I know," she whispered. It was clear it wasn't used very often. No potions equipment or anything.

"For the better, I hope?"

"Well, it depends on how you feel about your son being quite the workaholic. He has a full-blown potions lab in the basement now."

"I'd expect no less from him. It killed a piece of him inside when he was home on breaks and couldn't use magic. I was limited to what I could do myself in my attempts to keep the peace with his father. I couldn't supply him with the equipment to brew. His father has been … tolerant at best of our magical abilities. He's not stupid, and would realize the supplies, even basic ones, are costly. I'm not sure that he would have understood potions. He could have brewed even as a minor, so I did think about it."

"I suppose," Hermione said, not having thought of that.

"Now," his mother said. "Where did I hide that key?"

"Oh," Hermione said, summoning the key from her bag. "I don't know if this is the same key you have, but Severus gave me this one."

She brightened and took the key from her, sliding it into the small lock on the door. It opened.

"Severus never told me what all was in here beyond the few things he wanted me to know about," Hermione said, realizing many of the items here currently were still here in seventeen years.

"He may not realize all that's in here."

"You're taking all of this quite well, Eileen."

The older witch chuckled softly. She settled her hands against Hermione's shoulders, squeezing gently with a pleasant smile.

"I remember your previous visit to me. You look no different. A little less frazzled appearing now, but that's about all. I also know what that ring means, Hermione, Dear. I knew then, too. I was a little surprised, obviously. I thought about your visit often. It, the ring, means my son, maybe not this one here and now, was going to bond with you formally. He was thinking of proposing. I knew it when I first saw you wearing it, but I admit you took me by surprise enough I wasn't sure. So I kept quiet about that part of that ring."

"We'd talked about the possibility when the war ended, but we hadn't been able to spend a lot of time together, so I don't know…"

"I know. I meant what I said upstairs. The ring is very special and cannot go to just anyone."

His mom opened a trunk in the corner that was under what appeared to be some blankets and other bedding.

"Now let's see what we have here. I assume you have your wand somewhere."

"Yes," she said, patting it.

"Well, let's find you something to knock your wizard off his feet."

"I'm not sure you're supposed to be helping me do that as his mum."

"Every wizard deserves to have it done, my dear, and, well, even without the soul mark as part of the equation I always knew the Evans girl was not the witch for him. Even if you hadn't visited me before I knew that."

"Did you?" Hermione took a certain amount of pleasure in that statement. She wasn't sure why. She wasn't jealous of Lily. That wasn't it, but there were things the witch knew about her wizard that Hermione would just never know.

A witch who was, currently, still alive but in hiding.

"Do you know her?" Eileen asked.

"Um," she said, nibbling her lower lip.

"Can't say? I understand. I probably shouldn't have eavesdropped. You left the door ajar, though, and the ring. Severus doesn't know what it means, and perhaps your Severus didn't know what exactly it meant. I do. I hadn't shared much with him about the Prince history, so he may not have. He probably thought he had a choice in which ring he chose for you, but if his intentions were betrothal to his soul mate, the ring would've chosen itself for him."

"Are there other soul marked members of the Prince line?"

"No. I haven't heard of any. In fact, it took me some time when Severus mentioned the spot on his finger for me to realize that was what it was. It was a few years after your visit, so it just didn't enter my mind right away. Soul mates, yes, but not with the marks."

She remembered Severus telling her that a person could have more than one soul mate. Someone could, in fact, have a friend who was a soul mate without any romantic feelings involved. There was only one marked mate for someone with a soul mark, though.

She found more than one set of dress robes in Eileen's trunk that would be suitable for Easter dinner with the Malfoys. It was such a shame that all of this stuff was stored and locked away in a room in their basement. How long had it been here? Did Eileen ever come down and look at the things? From the looks of the room, it didn't seem she did.

"You've been to Malfoy Manor, I imagine?" Hermione asked.

"I have, yes. Lucius' father was at Hogwarts toward the end of my time there."

"I suppose," she said, nodding a little. She forgot that Severus had told her his mom was on the older end of things when she'd had him. Then, so was Lucius Malfoy. Well, she supposed compared to Molly Weasley everyone was older when they started having children.

"Which would you choose?" she asked. "I admit I'm not the most fashionable witch."

"This one," she said, picking one of Hermione's favorites. "For dinner. I'll select a couple others, so you have something to choose from if you decide to spend time there Saturday, too. You will be scrutinized, as I don't believe Severus has brought a guest to anything before. So I will make sure you are fashionable enough for what you need. You go on up now, Severus should be done with his shower by now. I'll get the rest ready for you. They've been in this trunk for years, so need some tender loving care."

"Oh, but I should take them with me, shouldn't I?"

Eileen looked confused and Hermione wondered what that was about.

"Why? Where are you going?"

"Well, I will have to stay somewhere. I should have done that first, maybe, but I came here immediately. I can get a room at the Leaky since he mentioned Diagon Alley," she said with a shrug.

"Nonsense. If Tobias asks, which he won't, you're a friend of Severus' from school."

"Well, that's not entirely untrue," she said.

"You will stay here. I insist. So, go. Enjoy your first time in wizarding London."

"I guess technically, you're right, it is my first time there. I will, thank you," she said, heading upstairs to get her bag and coat. She was going to wizarding London with Severus to send an owl to Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy that he'd have a guest with him for Easter dinner.

At Malfoy Manor.

Where she'd been tortured not even three months ago.

They didn't know that, though.

And she was going to have to pretend not to be a muggleborn convincingly. The last year on the run wasn't going to help her with that. She wondered if the soul mark itself would convince them she wasn't muggleborn. Would they think soul marks were only for pure and half bloods?

Return to Top
Part 3


Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com