TITLE: All My Flavors Are Guaranteed To Satisfy
AUTHOR: Susan / apckrfan
E-MAIL
DISTRIBUTION: My site, AO3, FFnet, LJ.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own any characters. They are owned by JK Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Brothers, etc. No profit is made from this fic.
RATING: FRK
SPOILERS: General, but canon divergent: EWE & Snape lives
SUMMARY: Hermione's friends are surprised at who she finally decides to go out on a first date with after posting a personal ad in The Quibbler's social section where witches and wizards could correspond anonymously before meeting.
CHARACTERS/PAIRING: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape
DATE STARTED: July 2023
STATUS: Complete
WORD COUNT: 4,200 +/-
FEEDBACK: Please, I can't write better without it.
NOTES: So if you're on Twitter and saw the conversation this week (July 13th or so) about an adult woman who told a man they weren't a good match because he suggested ice cream for their first date. This fic is inspired by that and a conversation we had about the idea of ice cream on a first date on the Hearts & Cauldrons Discord server. I blame Jaxon because I had no plot bunny about this scenario until they mentioned it!


August 2003

Me: Professional, pretty SWF, 23, no children, a pet cat. (If you're allergic or hate cats, assuming I'll choose you over him, I'm not the witch for you.) I have no immediate desire to marry, but hope to one day to someone I can build a life with. I like walks, horseback riding, swimming, skiing. Anything outdoors really, there are warming charms for a reason!. Late night discussions over cups of hot chocolate, the arts, trying new muggle and magical things as I'm curious by nature. I'm not a fan of quidditch, but will discuss and attend as long as there is some give back on a future date or conversation for me and my interests. I'm rather shy until I feel comfortable in a situation. I'm intelligent and hope you will consider yourself the same. You: Age is just a number, within reason. We are magical, after all, so a bit of an age gap isn't problematic. While I believe I'm more attracted to someone's mind than their face and body, I'd prefer you not look like a blobfish. There has to be some attraction to want to proceed further than a first date. Hope to hear from you!

She'd placed the ad three months ago, and gotten a slew of replies. Ninety-nine percent of them were rubbish. She replied to them all, saying thank you but no thank you.

She'd had a few first dates, but no second dates.

She hadn't gotten any responses in a while, which led to Luna rerunning her ad recently.

That led to her sorting through the three responses she'd gotten in the past few days.

Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Luna were currently looking at her rather aghast. Well, Luna wasn't. Luna didn't seem surprised in the least that she only considered one of the three worth considering.

They were the only four who knew Hermione even placed an ad.

Why?

The personal ads were new. Luna listened as people mentioned that it was difficult post-war for people to get past previous biases or opinions of others. So, Luna added a social section to The Quibbler . Readership had increased as a result, so it had apparently been a good choice. (Not that she was surprised knew what would be of interest to the wizarding world. Luna knew a lot of things, and those who were fortunate enough to be friends with her knew that to be true.)

Hermione was aware many had very staunch opinions about her. As she did in return. She didn't want Neville, for example, to not want to place or respond to an ad, thinking he might end up on a date with Hermione. (She hadn't, though she couldn't deny she wouldn't have been mad if she had.)

"I don't understand," Ron said, reading the letter she was thinking of answering for a second time.

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked. She hated sounding confused, but she really didn't know what was not to understand.

"He doesn't say much of anything, and is basically assuming you're so hard up that you're going to show up without any real information or communication between the two of you. And for ice cream."

He handed the letter to Ginny, glancing at the other three in the room with them.

Luna, as she was wont to do, said and revealed nothing. She had an exceptionally good poker face at times. (Only she seemed to know when those times should be, because there were other times that her thoughts and feelings were very obvious.) So, if she had an opinion on whether Hermione should go on this one last date, she wasn't saying so.

She made Luna promise to destroy Hermione's ad after this last printing of it. Hermione had to take her friend at her word that she would because she really didn't want to go through this again.

All was quiet as Harry and Ginny read the note together.

"Oh, I don't know," Ginny said, glancing from the piece of paper to Hermione and then Ron. The author of the note had written on muggle paper with a pen versus parchment and quill. She could only presume that it was deliberate. That the author was afraid someone (she) might recognize his handwriting. Ink pen and actual ink with a quill did look different.

She could be totally off base with that thought.

Ginny cleared her throat then and began to read. Hermione closed her eyes, because she already knew what it said, and that she was going to blush. She had no idea why she responded to this answer as she did.

She wanted to meet him.

"Your ad was intriguing to the point, despite a few years separating us (I am older, not ancient. I suppose I would be described as being in the early stages of what muggles consider middle age) and perhaps my knee jerk reaction being that answering you is a ridiculous thing to do. (I have my reasons, this is no reflection on your ad.) It was the first I read that wasn't written by a witch obviously trying to sell herself into marriage as soon as possible. I'm in no hurry either. I have never been skiing, but swimming, walks, and horseback riding are more than acceptable ways to pass time. Doing them with someone wouldn't be terrible. I enjoy quidditch, but my life has never been all-about-it. I have never married and have no children. I am also intelligent, shy, and take time to let others in. I do not resemble a blobfish, though some I've encountered in my life may say otherwise. I'm not Clark Gable, but I have come to think of myself as more than suitable for someone willing to get to know me. I am not good at small talk, or ensuring I come up with a witty enough response to entice you into writing back. And, in truth, I really don't want to start on a path of an exchange of letters back and forth. Knowing myself, I'd never take the initiative to see it beyond that. So, let's cut to the chase, shall we? You mentioned that you enjoy trying new things. A long-time acquaintance of mine has opened a store that I feel obligated to visit, to show support for his endeavor. I will be at Frisco's Ice Cream & Yogurt Parlor in Liverpool this Sunday at two o'clock in the afternoon. If you would like to join me for a cone, or cup, of your choice in the culinary delight that is ice cream, I will see you then and explain the reason I circumvented a letter-writing campaign. My treat, of course, since I have invited you. I presume you wouldn't want me to pick you up, for safety reasons, so I hope you will not find this suggestion rude. If not, then all the best to you in your search.

PS: I do not have pets, but your commitment to your cat is commendable. "

After the PS, he'd provided the address for Frisco's, as well as a place she could apparate to not far from there. This was appreciated because she hadn't been to Liverpool since before she went to Hogwarts, so she wouldn't have any idea where she could go (or where she would be going to guess on an appropriate area).

"It just doesn't seem like much of a date," Ron said. Hermione opened her eyes just as he shrugged, glancing at the other four in the living room of Grimmauld Place.

"I can see that," Ginny said with a nod and Hermione frowned. She could? Really? "But I can also see why he's doing it. He doesn't want to exchange letters back and forth before a first date to see if they have anything in common. So, ice cream is rather simple. It's a cup, or cone, of ice cream, one scoop or two if you're feeling really gluttonous. If it's a terrible time, you could be out the door in twenty minutes."

"But if it's not terrible…" Ron said, as if he still wasn't seeing it.

"It's Liverpool, Ron," Harry offered.

"What's that mean?"

Harry shook his head.

"He means that it's a city rather rich in history. The Beatles. Albert Dock. River Mersey."

"I know The Beatles," Ron said with a shrug.

That sort of surprised Hermione, then maybe it shouldn't, knowing Arthur. Ron was never very interested in learning about muggle things. She and Harry binge watched more than one television show he'd missed out on, or they'd both missed out on if it was during their time at Hogwarts. Ron just wasn't interested.

"If it's not terrible and they want to extend their time together, they can go for a walk along the river, a ferry ride, to a museum, or something." This was Harry, clearly understanding, too. Or maybe he just really understood how Hermione thought.

Ron nodded slightly, as if seeing the merit in such an idea.

"He might also be trying to weed out someone who's trying to get wined and dined," Hermione said. It was the first thing she thought of. It was rather simple. Basic. Not costly. Someone who was out to marry Draco Malfoy to get his name and access to his money likely wouldn't be too interested in the idea of telling someone their first date was out for ice cream.

"Well, you're not a gold digger," Ron said, almost seeming affronted that this anonymous person would think so. She appreciated him defending her like that.

"No, I'm not, but he doesn't know that," Hermione said, gesturing to the note.

"I suppose not."

"And, well, you all know where I'm going to be at two o'clock Sunday afternoon, so if you haven't heard from me and I don't come home in a few hours, you can come look for me. I'm sure they have cameras all over the area, so if I leave with him I'd be seen."

"And he said acquaintance, not friend, so it's not like you'll be on his turf," Ginny said.

Hermione nodded. She hadn't focused on that word, but Ginny was likely right. If it was a close friend he was going to do a Roxanne with her with or something, he wouldn't have said acquaintance. She'd never describe these four as that. Pansy Parkinson, yes. Even if she was currently dating Ronald. Only just started, so maybe one day she wouldn't just be an acquaintance. And that was an odd thought.

"And, well, just think, you'll learn about him based on what and how he orders," Luna said.

Four sets of eyes glanced at her, particularly since it was the first thing she'd said for a while.

"What?" she asked, giving an almost bashful shrug. "You know? Does he know what he wants, or does he browse the various options? Is he just a plain vanilla in a cup man? Will he combine Rocky Road and Butter Brickle? Does he want a waffle cone with sprinkles on top? Does he lick the ice cream around the top of the cone to ensure it doesn't drip down the cone? Does he use napkins or lick his fingers clean when done? How does he treat the clerk?"

"That's a good point," Harry said, nodding and offering Luna an assuring smile. No doubt in response to the almost embarrassed-like blush she was currently wearing on her cheeks.

She didn't say anything, but the look in her eyes clearly told them she knew it was a good point.

"So, are you going to write to him and tell him you're showing up?" Ron asked.

"He doesn't seem to want me to, so, no."

"It sounds like there's a reason," Ginny said, reading the letter. Again. Hermione was pretty sure her friend had read it more times than she had.

"A reason?" Ron asked. "Like he's married, you mean?"

"He states very plainly he's not," Luna offered.

"As if no one answering a personal ad has ever lied?" Ron said.

"He's not lying," Luna said.

Who was going to argue with Luna? Apparently, none of them. Honestly, Hermione's thoughts hadn't gone to his being married or having anything to hide. She wasn't too keen on writing several times before finally agreeing to meet someone herself. While the anonymity was appealing, which was the point. Getting to one another before agreeing to meet so there were no biases, or bad feelings, in play when a meeting was finally arranged. As he said, it would be tempting to enjoy that correspondence and not want to ruin it.

None of them wanted to read through the other two letters she had already decided not to reply to. She had no interest in meeting them anyway. If this didn't pan out, maybe she'd re-read them.

She took a deep breath, regarding her four friends.

An ice cream date in Liverpool it was then.

She hoped she, Harry, Luna, and Ginny were right and Ronald was wrong in this.

*****

Ginny and Luna helped her pick out what to wear and what to do with her hair. It was August, so warm. She was going to be eating ice cream, so didn't want her hair to get in the way, which it had a habit of doing sometimes.

Dressed in a pair of black slacks and a deep yellow V-neck top, she felt comfortable without being too casual. Ginny and Luna pulled her hair back nicely, not to the point she didn't look like herself. That was important to her. The last thing she did was straighten the necklace she wore. It had been given to her grandma for her first communion, passed on to her mum, and to her. She wasn't an overly religious person, but she wore it to feel closer to them. And, well, if their faith gave her a little boost today to ensure this date wasn't a disaster, she wouldn't complain.

"How am I going to know it's him?" she asked, regarding the letter one last time. "He didn't say. He didn't describe himself or tell me he'd be wearing anything in particular. Or that he'd be holding something recognizable."

"Maybe he didn't have to," Luna offered.

Hermione squinted at the witch, wishing Luna would just tell her what she knew. She clearly knew something. Hermione huffed.

"I suppose you're right." That meant she already knew this man she was meeting for ice cream. Didn't it? That was what Luna was implying. He would likely recognize her. Middle aged, he would have been involved in the war, so would know of her and her participation in it.

Luna came up behind her, looking at her via the reflection in the mirror, squeezing her shoulders gently. "Don't think too hard about it. Go have some ice cream. You never know, maybe it'll become a famous place, and you'll be able to tell your grandchildren you were there in the beginning when you bring them there."

Hermione took a deep breath, regarding her reflection one more time. She looked okay. Actually, she looked nice. Hair was done. Makeup was done. Clothes were nice. She wore comfortable shoes so if they did decide to go for a walk or something afterward, she wouldn't have to transfigure them into something else in the middle of muggle Liverpool. She didn't look like a harlot or that she was trying to appear to be older than her nearly twenty-three.

"Go," Ginny and Luna both said, pushing her out the door of her bedroom. They followed her down the stairs and out to the backyard of the house where she could apparate, focusing on the area he'd said in his note she could use.

She walked the short distance to the ice cream place. She'd done a bit of research since receiving his note. The ice cream parlor had opened about three months ago, just in time for the warm summer months. Enough time, though, that she imagined it wasn't totally new anymore, so it wouldn't be jam packed. Two o'clock on a Sunday was also a fairly safe time.

She rounded the corner and spotted him sitting on a bench located just the other side of where she thought the store would be.

Him.

Luna was right. He certainly wasn't married.

She swallowed hard, recognizing him immediately. She supposed she should be glad he hadn't disillusioned himself, waiting for her to arrive and springing his presence on her.

He was dressed in black trousers as she was, but (surprisingly) his shirt looked like it was a deep blue. Not navy. Not being black surprised her.

He looked over in her direction, eyes widening slightly.

Would he get up and leave?

She walked the last bit of distance toward the bench, offering him a smile as she approached. Her instinct was to tuck some hair behind her ear, but the hairstyle Luna and Ginny had done didn't give her the option to do that. Well, not without messing it up completely.

He stood as soon as she got to the bench.

"Hi," she said.

"Hello yourself."

Silence.

Was he disappointed in who he'd chosen to send a note to?

He did the unexpected then, offering her his hand. "I'm Severus Snape," he said. As if she hadn't known him since she was twelve years old.

She took his offered hand, but he didn't shake it as she expected him to. He brought it to his lips, kissing the back of her wrist briefly.

"Um, yeah," she said, flustered by the gesture. She hadn't expected that. "Hermione Granger."

"Ice cream then?" He released her hand as he asked the question. He didn't drop it as if he couldn't wait to stop touching her, so that was a good sign. "I'd like to hear about skiing, I think."

She smiled then, knowing she was blushing. Morgana. This was good. He didn't want to hash out that they already knew one another. And how. She understood now why he didn't want to correspond with her. He already suspected when writing that he would know the witch he was answering the ad of.

"Interested in taking up a new hobby?" she asked.

"You mentioned hot chocolate. Some hot chocolate by a fire after a day spent outdoors doing a physical activity on a chilly winter day does sound somewhat appealing."

Her eyes widened at that. There were some who thought skiing was silly. It was too cold.

"Well, I guess I better make sure I describe it well then."

"You have a few months to convince me, it seems."

"I guess I do."

"I'm surprised you showed," he admitted.

"Why?" she asked.

"I saw your ad the first time it ran. Something drew me to it, but I refrained from replying. Obviously. I saw it the second time and was surprised. I thought, well, she's obviously high maintenance. A witch that's making wizards run in the opposite direction with her expectations or demands."

"So, you suggested ice cream…"

"Well, it's muggle," he said, gesturing to the store. "Anonymous. I prefer not to be stood up or laughed at in the wizarding world."

"I'm not laughing."

"I'm aware. I also don't want to be watched like a hawk while on a first date."

She could understand that. She didn't like it either. It was one of the reasons she said no to more than one person. So few ever thought of doing something muggle where they wouldn't be recognized.

"Do you really know the person who owns it?" she asked, gesturing to the store.

"I do. He lived down the street from me growing up. He moved away when I was about fifteen, but our paths crossed a few times here and there. He was, is, decent enough. One advantage of still having that address, even if I don't live there anymore. It's how he found me."

It was well known that he kept the Snape home but had moved somewhere else. Very few knew where. He worked out of the Snape home, so rumor was there was very little remaining about it that suggested it was a residence.

"I'm glad that he did. It was nice of him to send you an announcement."

"It was."

She wasn't sure what to say. He clearly wasn't leaving, so that meant he wanted to be here. With her. It was a little odd, though.

"Are you going to mix Rocky Road and Butter Brickle?" The question was out before she could really think about it.

"Am I what?" he asked, frowning.

She laughed softly, brushing her shoulder against his arm. "Nothing. It was a joke." And then she thought of what Luna had said about grandchildren. If it were anyone else saying something like that, she'd think she was just being whimsical. Now, though.

"All right. So," he said, opening the door for her, settling a hand against the small of her back as he let her pass through first. It felt nice there, a light touch. He wasn't pushing her. He was just letting her know he was there. Having this wizard at her back wasn't offensive. In any situation, she found herself thinking. "What shall it be?"

"Do you already know?"

"No," he said, eyeing the freezer display case of various ice creams and yogurts. "Browse for a moment then?"

"Yes," she said with a nod.

"You're sure you're all right?" he asked after a few minutes of them both browsing the various flavors and options available. They both watched and listened as others approached the counter and ordered.

"Yes, why?"

"I don't know. I expected you to be more … inquisitive."

"I'm glad I can surprise you."

That evidently amused him. How did she know? His lips lifted into the barest hint of a smile.

They ordered.

He was a sugar cone, one scoop of basic Chocolate kind of wizard, who did, indeed, lick the ice cream around the top edge of the cone so that it wouldn't drip. She, for her part, got one scoop of Butter Pecan in a plain cone, and licked the ice cream around the edge of the cone, too.

He leaned in then, kissing her briefly before drawing away. "You missed some," he whispered.

She nodded then as he handed her a napkin, knowing she was blushing profusely. And that she did not have any ice cream on her lips. So he was a use a napkin, not lick his fingers kind of man, too. (Not that she pictured this man doing such a thing.) That meant he'd wanted to kiss her. She liked that idea. A lot she realized.

"Shall we walk while we eat then?" He offered her his hand as he asked the question. It wasn't hugely crowded, but the seating area was pretty full, so they'd be virtually sitting with someone else if they sat in here. Cozy. If it wasn't a first date, and if they weren't magical, it would probably be fine. "Or did you wish to stay? It's not too hot out, so it shouldn't melt that quickly."

She squeezed his hand, nodding a bit. "A walk sounds nice, and something tells me we'll be back."

It was his turn to blush. Bestill her heart. She'd made Severus Snape blush.

"Something tells me you're right."

He released her hand to open the door for her, finding it again as soon as they were outside.

"It was your cat," he said after a bit of silence. It wasn't uncomfortable. They were eating their ice cream, and it was a nice day. There were people walking around, in and out of various area stores, so they had things to watch. He obviously enjoyed observing as much as she did.

"I'm sorry?" she asked.

"Your mention of your cat. I found it … honorable that you would not allow a man to dictate that you couldn't keep your pet. I never had one, but there were some familiars that found their way to my quarters or my classroom over the years and their company was welcome. At a time I had no one to reassure me otherwise, especially that year you were gone, they knew I was not foul. It's all that kept me going sometimes."

"Oh. Well," she said, not sure what to say to that. She was glad that something gave him hope. She knew Crookshanks visited him from time to time. How did she know? His classroom had a specific scent, and he would sometimes return to her smelling of it. "I agreed about the correspondence aspect of things. I liked Viktor a lot when he left Hogwarts."

"I remember," he said.

"After months of corresponding with him, though, it became different. Less … romantic affection and more friendly affection. A pen pal. So I appreciated that you wanted to bypass that."

"And the suggestion as … inexpensive as ice cream?"

"Well, obviously, I came so I liked the idea."

"I'm glad you did, Hermione."

"Me, too, Severus." She stopped walking then, moving to her tiptoes to kiss him. She clearly surprised him. "Now, where are you taking me for dinner later?"

~The End~

Return to Top

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com