***Chapter Eight***
November 13, 1991

Hermione frowned as she walked to Professor Snape's desk alongside Draco Malfoy. Neither student said anything, though Draco's sneer seemed to indicate he thought she was in trouble.

Why would he be asked to stay late, too, if she was in trouble?

Evidently, that thought hadn't occurred to him as it had to her. (She'd admittedly panicked for a moment, until she realized that.) Hermione chose not to enlighten him. Honestly, she had no idea why she had been selected. Her potions professor hadn't said more than a handful of words to her so far. After more than a few papers or tests returned to her with Acceptable (her first essay had gotten a Poor, and she hadn't dared challenge him on it. If she cost Gryffindor points for that she'd never be forgiven. After she'd gotten done fuming at the audacity of him giving her that grade. Well, she realized his comments weren't off the mark. So, she'd taken them as he, she presumed, intended. She learned and improved.) The paper she'd received back in today's class earned an Exceeds Expectations.

Surely, he didn't think Draco Malfoy had anything to do with her achieving that grade?

The rest of the Gryffindor and Slytherin students filed out and their potions professor was silent, until the door closed, signaling it was just the three of them.

"You two have top marks out of all of the first years' thus far," he said, regarding both of them.

"Thank you, Sir," she said. What else was there to say to that?

"Of course I do," Malfoy said from beside her.

"Actually, Mr. Malfoy," Professor Snape said. "Miss Granger, at the moment, is ahead of you."

"Impossible," the wizard sneered.

"Are you questioning my ability to grade properly, Mr. Malfoy?"

The wizard paled even more than normal at that. That was something she'd have to tell the Gryffindor's when she got back to the common room. They probably wouldn't believe her. Severus Snape didn't tell people they were doing well in his class. Professor Snape certainly wouldn't tell a muggleborn witch that she was. That's what some told her, anyway. She hadn't formed an opinion yet.

If he didn't want her to excel, wouldn't he have just given her the Poor grade without comment? He wouldn't want her to see things any differently and improve.

"Of course not, Godfather," he murmured.

Hermione's eyes widened. She couldn't help it. Professor Snape was Malfoy's godfather? How did she not know that? Of course, she'd have to engage in gossip with her roommates in order to know such things. People talked to her at their table and in the common room, but none were really her friends.

"Mr. Malfoy," Professor Snape said, sounding more than a little unhappy at that slip. Hermione had to fight very hard to stifle a giggle. Between this and Draco being told he was second to her in grades. Well. She'd think she was dreaming, but she was pretty sure she'd never dream about being in this classroom. She didn't like it down here. She didn't think her professor would appreciate her laughter, whether it was aimed at Draco or not. He didn't seem to be in the mood for laughter.

"Sorry, Professor Snape," he said, looking at his feet now.

"I was wondering if you would like a chance to earn some extra credit and experience."

"Like what?" Hermione asked.

She didn't really care about the extra credit. She did, sure to make up for that Poor, but the experience was what piqued her interest.

"Ingredient collecting."

"Absolutely," Hermione said. She didn't think her answer was a surprise to her professor.

"With her?" Malfoy sneered.

"That would be the idea, yes."

"No," Malfoy said.

Silence. Clearly Draco expected his godfather, their professor, to say something. He was probably hoping it was a joke.

"You're asking me to work alongside a mudblood, Godfather! I won't do it, and will most certainly tell my father you're asking me to."

"You can report to your father anything that you wish to, Draco," he said.

And for a moment, Hermione could hear a hint of affection in the professor's voice for the wizard standing next to her. She felt a little in the way.

Interesting. Until now, she hadn't really gotten the impression Professor Snape liked anyone.

"Be sure to tell him that … muggleborn witch is outperforming you in every subject thus far from what I hear at staff meetings. Additionally, that I have given you an opportunity to earn extra credit when you obviously need it to obtain that top of class mark that I know is expected of you. And that you are turning it down."

Draco looked from Professor Snape to her and then to the wall behind the professor's desk. He swallowed hard, looking as if he'd swallowed something very sour.

"Fine, I'll do it."

"Too late. You already said no."

The door leading to the hall opened like, well, magic.

Good lord, the man hadn't even waved his hand at it and it opened. She felt her stomach clench at the idea of how much power this wizard must possess to do that without giving away the fact that he was going to. He wasn't holding a wand either.

And he was offering her extra credit!

"Have a good rest of your day, Mr. Malfoy."

"But."

"Would you like detention on top of losing out on the opportunity for extra credit due to your own stupidity?"

Oh, that tone of affection was now gone.

The professor waited until Draco left the room, closing the door loudly behind him (not quite slamming, but very close). Hermione gave an inward sigh, wondering if Draco's … teasing and bullying of her would increase now. She hadn't done a darned thing!

"You would have no problems gathering ingredients with my godson, Miss Granger?"

He was asking her? Really? What would he do if she said yes, she wondered. She wasn't willing to find out, because she wanted the experience.

"No, Sir."

He nodded simply, a hint of a sneer on his lips. As if he knew what she'd just been thinking.

"I will let him … stew on our conversation for a few days and allow him to join, eventually."

Did he expect her to answer? To say no? She certainly wasn't going to jump for joy at the prospect of spending time outside of classes with Draco Malfoy, but Professor Snape didn't dole out extra credit opportunities regularly, so she wasn't about to snub her nose at the chance.

"That's fine, Sir."

"If I could make a suggestion, Miss Granger."

"Of course, Professor."

"You have taken my … critiques to be what they are."

"I have," she said. Did he think she thought otherwise? She listened to others in the great hall, not even just Gryffindors. Not everyone got tips or ideas from Professor Snape on their work. She, in fact, hadn't heard anyone else claim to have gotten a helpful comment from this man.

"Good. I know it can be an adjustment, coming here. Especially right now, with the environment as it is. I'd hoped it would improve as the war's end was more and more behind us. I understand that said environment may make you want to prove yourself." He stopped talking and regarded her here. She fought the urge to fidget. He wasn't wrong. She knew nothing of magic or the wizarding world prior to getting her letter. Her parents had raised her to believe she could do anything. This world, though, was not like the world her parents were from. She thought it very likely explained why she never fully felt as if she belonged in it, even as a little girl. So, yes, she'd read everything she could before getting on the Hogwarts Express. "I would, however, like to see that raw talent, and more than capable brain you possess, used for things beyond telling me what the textbook I assign already says."

"Sir?" What was he saying?

"You have a brain, you have innate abilities like few I've seen before, Miss Granger. I don't say that lightly. I'd rather you attempt to impress me with your own thoughts than those that I already have memorized because I wrote the textbook for your year."

She swallowed, not realizing he was the author. She closed her eyes. How embarrassing! She nodded.

"I would also challenge you not to raise your hand in class for one full day."

What?

"But Sir!"

"All classes, one full day."

She nibbled at her lower lip, trying to determine whether he was serious. And if he was serious, why he wanted her to do this.

"Why?"

"To allow your fellow classmates the opportunity to answer."

Well, that was ridiculous! She couldn't tell him that, though. She'd get detention, for sure. Or be more disliked by many more than she already was by admitting to him she knew no one did the work.

"They don't because they don't do the work!"

"Precisely. You have made my point for me, whether you realize it or not."

"I," she said.

"If you stopped raising your hand for every single question, they may start doing that work, Miss Granger. Has that not occurred to you? They are here to get an education, too. They may not recognize that to be a gift at the age of eleven and twelve as you do, but that is why they are here."

"I know, but…"

"One day, Miss Granger. I will consult with all of your professors. If you are able to make it through the day, I will let you assist me in making my next batch of Pepper-Up Potion."

Her eyes widened at that. Really? He was going to let her assist him in brewing a potion? With him?

"And I will assign twenty-five points to Gryffindor."

"Shut up," she said, and then threw her hand over her mouth.

"While I should take points for the disrespect, I will let it slide this one time."

"I'm sorry, Professor Snape, it's just you don't assign points."

"I am aware."

What was she supposed to say to that?

"One full day, Miss Granger. That includes the library and studying. No doing homework for someone else."

She huffed softly, but nodded simply. Brewing and points!? Where was the downside?

"Do you want a day to practice? I'm only going to give you one chance, and was not planning on brewing the Pepper-Up until Saturday anyway."

Today was Wednesday.

"Yes, please," she said.

"Very well. Friday then."

"You're really going to let me assist you?"

"Are you really going to keep your hand down, and let your fellow first years learn for themselves?"

"Yes, Sir."

"I am a man of my word then, Miss Granger."

"Are you going to deduct points from Gryffindor for not doing the assigned reading?"

His lips twitched. He didn't smile or smirk, but he clearly wanted to. And it wasn't a sneer.

"I will try to refrain, but make no promises. It depends on my mood at the time."

"Right," she said, realizing it was probably best to leave while she was ahead.

"Thank you, Sir."

They were both quiet. She wasn't dismissed, so she didn't want to just leave.

"That will be all. I will talk with you on Saturday about the ingredient collecting project."

"That's rather devious of you, Sir."

"Yes, well, I figured that would give you extra incentive."

He wasn't wrong.

"Have a good rest of your day, Sir."

"You as well, Miss Granger."

Return to Top

Part 7 | Part 9

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com