TITLE: Identifiable
AUTHOR: Susan / apckrfan
E-MAIL
DISTRIBUTION: My site, AO3, FFnet, LJ.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own any characters. They are owned by Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, etc. No copyright infringement is intended and no profit is made.
RATING: Mature
SPOILERS: Season 4, before Buffy & Riley have begun dating (so, say through The Initiative just to cover my bases)
SUMMARY: See challenge information below.
CHARACTERS/PAIRING: Buffy Summers & Riley Finn (aka Caroline & Daniel)
DATE STARTED: August 2004
STATUS: Complete (in 10 parts)
WORD COUNT: 16,986
FEEDBACK: Please, I can't write better without it.
NOTES: This is response to a challenge off the sunnydalewriters mailing list. The challenge is as follows. I chose the pre-Civil War era since more recent was an option. Dream sequences are contained in between // \\ symbols.

THE PAST LOVES CHALLENGE by Gidgetgirl

In the ancient past, two canon characters were lovers. Though in this life they aren't exactly what you'd call 'made for each other,' they both start having dreams of their past life together, and one day, one of them wakes up from one such dream with a child sleeping in his/her arms, dressed in ancient garb. This child is the love child created between the two canon characters in a past life, and the child has been brought to the present to get the lovers together once more.

Some suggestions for past life:
Ancient Egypt
Ancient Greece
Something Tribal
Something more recent, i.e. Victorian

Requirements:
The child must recognize her parents by their souls, not by their physical bodies, which may or may not resemble the bodies they were in in her lifetime.

The child must have a name that corresponds to the time period of the past life, and a more modernized nickname.

A romance between two canon characters, who may or may not be likely matches for each other.

Flashbacks.

Bonus:
Someone else in the canon having lived a past life that intersected with our lovers.

A mystical explanation of what it really means to be 'soul mates' across lives.

The challenge says it all but this is set during Season 4, around the episode The Initiative. Still not familiar with one another beyond Psychology class, Buffy and Riley are both experiencing dreams of a couple from the past. This couple, as it turns out, is them in a past life. When a child is somehow brought from the past to the future they have to figure out what to do and quick. Despite not recognizing his parents physically, Kincaide recognizes them by their souls and cannot figure out why they are not together in their current lives.




Part 1
Added 8/18/04
Part 2
Added 8/18/04
Part 3
Added 8/20/04
Part 4
Added 9/20/04
Part 5
Added 10/03/04
Part 6
Added 10/03/04
Part 7
Added 10/22/04
Part 8
Added 09/24/06
Part 9
Added 09/24/06
Part 10
Added 09/24/06

You can read the fic in one long file if you prefer.

Return to Top

Buffy/Riley Index Page | Buffy the Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
">Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com