Chapter Forty-Three
June 2004

Hermione looked out over this year's Hogwarts graduates. Draco was with the other guests, Erik and Diana sitting with him. Harry, Ginny, and James Potter as well as Ron, Luna, and Jonah Weasley were with them, too. They were all there to celebrate Odette's graduation.

Odette had come so far from the girl she'd been after the war, the beginning of her second year at Hogwarts. She liked to believe she and Severus were responsible for that change. She knew Draco was, too. They were engaged to be married next spring, which meant that legally Draco Malfoy was going to be her son-in-law.

How weird was that?

He was even bucking magical tradition (and really muggle, too) and propriety. Instead of Odette becoming a Malfoy, Draco was going to take their last name. He wanted further separation for his family and from his name's history.

Odette was going to work for the Ministry with Arthur Weasley in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office. She'd become somewhat of an expert in muggle studies and artifacts, so there was no doubt that Mr. Weasley would be grooming her to take over his position. No one else really wanted it, and Arthur wanted it to go to someone who understood and believed as he did that magical and muggle people should be equal and the magical world could learn from the muggle items they came across.

Harry and Ginny were expecting baby number two, Hermione knew. No one else knew yet, but Ginny had let it slip last night when she'd declined Hermione's offer of a glass of wine too strenuously. Hermione was so excited! She imagined Ron and Luna would be godparents to this child since Hermione and Severus were godparents to James.

Convincing Severus to be godfather to one James Sirius Potter was an interesting thing. Their first real arguments had happened during those conversations. Severus had gone so far as to use the time turner and bring her back to various events at Hogwarts between the Marauders and Severus. He'd disillusioned and cast Notice-Me-Nots on both of them for those excursions as soon as they got to the past.

She understood, really she did, but Harry was not James and this James would not be like that James. Harry and Ginny wouldn't allow that. Eventually he'd been able to put his biases and pain, really the past, aside and agree to it. She was pretty sure what ultimately won out was the fact that realistically even if something did happen to both Harry and Ginevra Potter, a member of the Weasley clan would take responsibility for the child. There was no way George or Ron, in particular, wouldn't step up and raise him.

Once the graduation activities were done, Draco let Erik run to his father while he carried Diana to her mother.

If anyone questioned the Headmaster holding his son while he tended to his more informal duties of the day with the ceremony done, no one spoke of it. In fact, Hermione noticed more than a few envious looks on a few witches faces.

"Thank you, Draco," Hermione said, taking Diana from him. "She was good?"

"She was a princess as always," he said.

"She likes you," she said.

"Of course she does. Who wouldn't?"

"There's no accounting for taste I guess," she quipped.

"Yes, mother-in-law," he shot back.

"Very funny, Draco," she said.

They stepped out of the way as a few wanted the Headmaster's ear while staying close in case Erik got unruly and Severus needed help with him.

"Are you okay, Draco?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

She shrugged. "You just seem distracted. I was just asking."

He sighed heavily. "Someone made a comment about our engagement not realizing I was nearby."

"Something bad?"

"Something like my knowing her since she was a first year, which I did I guess. I mean she was Slytherin, and I was, but that last year was a little crazed."

"You haven't done anything wrong. Look at the age difference between Severus and me, and I was his student! Before we were together, but still. People will always find things to talk about."

"How did you do it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Skeeter, all those articles she wrote about you."

"Grew a thick skin and realized that those who knew me and mattered knew the truth."

"I suppose," he said.

"It'll pass. You'll get married and life will go on. You know you have support."

"That it comes from you and your friends is mind boggling, but yes."

"You've grown on us, Draco."

"Well, considering I'm going to be your son-in-law and have your last name I should hope so."

She rolled her eyes. "Our family is an odd one, isn't it?"

He laughed then. "You could say that, yeah."

They were quiet for a bit as they watched the goings on.

"You ready to switch to Transfiguration next year?"

"Yes," Hermione admitted. "I love potions, I do, but I know Professor Knotley is better suited to teaching it. As much as I love it, I'm a recipe follower."

"And yet, you managed to tweak polyjuice, lung-clearing, and create a potion that helps those that have the equivalent of muggle PTSD."

"Yes, well, I'm still not good at the crushing with a dagger's edge versus a pestle aspect of things."

"Ah," he said. "It's going to be weird without McGonagall."

"It is," Hermione agreed.

"I'm glad for you, though, I know you preferred Transfiguration."

She'd managed to get a third mastery in Charms, too, but Finius wasn't retiring anytime soon. He loved teaching where Minerva was ready to move onto other things away from Hogwarts.

Severus had teased her, claiming that she didn't need to get a mastery in every subject she got an Outstanding on her NEWTs. She knew that, but Charms and Transfiguration went hand-in-hand as far as she was concerned. Potions, she was helping him, they both knew that. She was done for now advancing her education. One day that may change, she still had plenty of time to worry about life post-Hogwarts. For now, her place was here with her husband, and really, she loved teaching. And Hogwarts was home, no matter where they were. She was taking over as Gryffindor's Head of House, too. What could be better than helping shape the minds of young witches and wizards, to send them out into the world to make a difference?

"So," she said, tapping on Diana's upper lip before kissing her daughter on the cheek. "You ready to party it up?"

He snorted. "Sure."

"Meet you at the house in a bit."

"I'll be there."

A few of Odette's friends were going to come over for the night. They were going to watch muggle movies and have popcorn, pizza, and pop. None of them had been there before, so all of the Snapes were a little nervous about this turn of events. Severus, in particular, was not overly anxious for four eighteen-year-old girls to be in the house.

Tomorrow they were going to the mall. None of her friends had been to one. Hermione would stay at the mall in case there were any issues, but the five girls would be on their own for the day for the most part. They were all adults even in the muggle world, and perfectly capable of defending themselves if they had to.

Ginny and Luna were coming along, so it would be fun. Severus probably was not overly thrilled about a day spent with Harry, Ron, Draco, and four children, but she'd more than make it up to him later. And he knew that. No doubt it's why he agreed.



"What could they possibly be laughing about now?" Severus said with a mock scowl. The girls, and Draco, were upstairs in the room they'd converted into an entertainment room so Odette could watch TV and stuff on her own.

"I think they've moved on from First Daughter to Anchorman."

"And these movies are appropriate for them?"

"Severus, they're adults."

He rolled his eyes.

"Why are you down here with me instead of up there with them?"

"Because I'd rather be down here with you," she said, gathering her feet under her as she snuggled up against him on the couch. Erik was playing on the floor and Diana was playing with their new half kneazle. This one seemed to be Diana's, which Erik was fine with. He had no time for cats where Diana enjoyed giving and getting attention from Vega, a name that Diana had come up with, firmly establishing the cat was hers. The cat wouldn't respond to any other name.

Midge and Loody were enjoying having the girls there to wait on. Hermione wasn't sure how many bowls of snacks had gone up and down already. Plus pizza.

"It is nice," he said, sounding put out by the admission.

"What is?"

He gestured to the stairs. "Laughter," he said. "It's not something that existed in my home, and I know she laughs with us."

"It's different, though," she said, agreeing. "I'm glad you think so."

It meant that Odette felt safe here, comfortable. This was her home. She was a Snape and belonged here, no matter where life from this point would take her.

"I'm glad she has recovered from her abuse so well. Your potion helped, I know."

Few knew the reason Hermione worked so ardently with Poppy and the healers at St. Mungo's on a potion that would help combat what she knew was post-traumatic stress disorder. Yes, Odette had been her driving force, wanting her adopted daughter to heal completely body, mind, and soul. There were hundreds, though, who suffered as a result of both wars and the time in between the wars.

Her current project when she wasn't teaching or doing her deputy headmistress, wife, and mother duties was to work with the healers on training to help those much like muggles have with counseling and psychiatry. Until her efforts, there was no help for those who might want it. That was, slowly, changing.

"What did you and Draco talk about earlier?"

"Nothing, really. He's heard some gossip about the age difference between him and Odette."

Severus scoffed.

"I pointed out just who he was talking to. He's just worried, understandably, but he's doing so well."

"He is. I'm proud of him."

Draco had started a business that would help bring the wizarding world into the computer age. It wasn't an easy task, but wizards and witches were able to use Google just as any muggle could. Computers would not be allowed in Hogwarts, of course, but they would certainly help places like St. Mungo's to track patient records so that someone who'd come to them regularly could be treated effectively. It was a slow process, getting wizards to accept muggle technology, but the customers he had already sang his praises. Prior to that, he'd established himself as the brain behind many fantasy type video games that muggle people, teens and adults alike, loved and frothed at the mouth for the next release from DLS Entertainment. Hermione doubted he'd ever stop making the games, but he'd decided to move onto bringing the wizarding world current in their systems.

"I am, too," she admitted. "But if he calls me mom in front of people I will hex him."

Severus snorted. "I will join you."

"Thank you," she said.

Her eyes were on Diana and Vega, growing somewhat heavy. It had been a long day. The end of the school year was always hard, busy, and stressful, but knowing that Odette wouldn't be under their immediate care anymore was rather upsetting. It wasn't a control thing, either, Hermione just really felt empty at losing the young witch from her everyday life.

They were a family.

She knew they always would be, Odette wasn't leaving or going anywhere. She, in fact, would be staying in her rooms at Hogwarts until her wedding. Much to Severus' pleasure, and Draco's dissatisfaction, she was a rather old-fashioned witch who had no desire to live with him before they were married. Since Draco already had a place to live that was suitable for them as a couple and a child or two there was no sense in her finding a flat to rent for less than a year. She'd be able to floo from their quarters to the Ministry every day.

"You know," he whispered against her ear.

"Yes?"

"I was thinking that Diana deserves a playmate."

Hermione snorted. "What makes you think it'll be another girl?"

"I didn't say it would be," he said, kissing her ear.

"I thought we were going to wait a little longer," she said.

"Practice makes perfect," he murmured.

She smiled at that. "Indeed it does. People are going to think we are going for our own Quidditch team if we're not careful."

"Can I help that I like seeing my witch glowing with my children growing inside of her?"

"No, I suppose you can't."

"Well then?"

More giggling from upstairs could be heard.

"I think when we don't have a house full of people might be a better time to think about the type of practicing you're thinking of."

"How do you know what type I'm thinking of?"

"A witch always knows, Wizard."

"I suppose she does."

"If you had your way I'd be practicing all night."

"Yes! I see nothing wrong with this mindset. Put the kids to bed so we can get started."

She laughed softly, turning her face a bit so she could kiss him as he was still brushing his mouth over her ear.

"You know it's too early."

"Wishful thinking."

She shifted then, straddling him so she could kiss him properly.

"Does this help tide you over?"

"It's acceptable."

She smirked. "I'll show you acceptable," she said, pressing her mouth against his. Erik didn't seem to mind his parents being affectionate like this and Diana hardly noticed. Hermione knew eventually that would change so she enjoyed taking advantage of being able to be so openly demonstrative in front of them.

"Oh, um, Mistress Snape," Mildred Flanagan said from the stairs. "I'm sorry to bother you, but the movie froze."

Hermione drew away from Severus. "Save my spot."

He rolled his eyes. "I don't know, there's a little girl on the floor who might claim it in your absence."

"I'll take my chances." She slid off his lap then, biting her lower lip a bit at how excited just kissing him still made her. "I'll be back."

"I will wait."

She followed Mildred upstairs, fixed the movie with a little effort, and made sure everyone was good before heading back downstairs.

"Catastrophe avoided?"

"For now," she said, moving to his lap again.

"Excellent."

"Now where were we?"

"We were in the middle of a very important discussion if I recall."

"Was it?"

"Without a doubt. Let me refresh your memory," he said, sliding his arms around her to draw her closer as he claimed her lips with his own.

Return to Top

Part 42 | Part 44

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com