***Chapter Twelve***
August 2008

Severus found Jasmin in Filius' classroom when he grew concerned he hadn't seen her after school as he usually did. Five years into this and she still sought him out normally, even if it was just to stop into his classroom to let him know she was home. The students of that period knew to expect her by now.

Once it was clear that the other Hermione wasn't returning anytime soon, they (he) enrolled Ivy in school with other magical children in Hogsmeade. Jasmin had started her education this year. While both had done well homeschooling with Hermione and Severus, both adults knew they welcomed a different environment and some social interaction with those their own age. And, likely, time away from one another.

"Thank you, Filius," he murmured when he spotted his daughter sitting at a desk in the corner. Filius had sent him a patronus informing him of his younger daughter's presence in his classroom. And after five years of this, he absolutely thought of each of them as his daughter.

She was focused on something on the table in front of her, concentrating hard it appeared because she hadn't yet noticed his presence.

And that was unusual.

He wasn't sure if it was the other Severus' scarcity in her life, the fact he had been her primary caregiver for months in this universe, or something else altogether. She had never gotten over her clinginess with him. She was almost six now and she still hugged him tight whenever she could.

It was very clear she adored her father. Ivy did as well, but it was different.

In truth, the adoration was more than somewhat reciprocated. Severus was pretty sure that was dreadfully obvious to all who saw them. Not that he minded, overmuch. There were times he'd like the dreaded Professor Snape back, but that was only when he dealt with dunderheads in his classroom.

She loved Hermione as well, but when Jasmin woke in the morning if he had already departed their rooms for the day she'd come find him before going off to school. Every day. It probably didn't help that it was obvious people were still getting used to the idea of the girls calling Hermione Mum versus the Mi they had called her for years. He sensed, too, that Ivy had passed on some memories of him coming to that Severus' Hermione hurt. Both girls knew he'd been a spy here as well and suffered torture and other physical ailments as a result. (Jasmin asked about his neck more than once over the years.) Whether Jasmin knew it or not, she worried about her father. Ivy did, too, most certainly. That nightmare he'd watched wasn't the first or last she'd woken from. Jasmin had a few, too, but not as many and they decreased the longer she was here in this universe. Appropriately so, since she was only one when they arrived.

Severus would accept her concern and do what he could to ensure she eventually came to realize she had nothing to worry about any longer. He was still working at ensuring both felt secure and stable here. Neither asked about their mother coming to get them. He was pretty sure they both realized when they started attending school that Severus had come to the conclusion she likely wasn't returning.

He took a seat at the table next to where she was sitting, suspecting what the problem was.

Forrest Donald was well and truly walking these days. He wasn't even one yet, that would happen on October twentieth. Jasmin was concerned that her younger brother was going to take her father away from her. It was one thing when he was a baby who didn't do anything, but that was no longer the case.

It was normal he'd been told and to this point she hadn't done anything wrong or attempted to harm their son. He understood her feelings. Ivy for her part loved having a little brother, though he knew there was some doubt with their oldest daughter as well.

"What are we doing," he asked. His voice was soft, barely above a whisper. He didn't want her to think she had done anything wrong.

She huffed expertly, nibbling on that lower lip. If there was an OWL or NEWT course for these gestures, she would get an Outstanding for certain. Much like her mother and older sister. Forrest to this point had not demonstrated the infamous Granger lip nibble. (He wasn't sure how he'd feel seeing that in a male, but would likely adjust as he had to all of this thus far.)

"Trying to get the leaf to float," she said. Her voice was … rougher than normal.

"Ah," he said with a nod.

She was closer to six and a half than seven attempting to do a first year spell. And seemed to be under the impression she should be able to get the leaf to float.

He glanced at Filius who merely shrugged with a chuckle. Did that mean he thought she could actually get the leaf to levitate?

Good night.

He wasn't ready for that.

He took her in then, picture perfect look of concentration. Again like her mother.

Except.

Her eyes were red and swollen. He felt bad - and a little slow - that he hadn't noticed immediately.

"What happened, Jasmin?"

"Nothing," she mumbled.

"Jasmin. You cannot lie to me."

She huffed again.

"Zachary said Mummy isn't my mummy," she said, voice sounding small. As if she'd been forcing herself not to cry.

"Do you think Hermione is your mummy?"

She nodded, her eyes still focused on the leaf.

"Is that Zachary Blythe?"

"Mm hmm," she said.

"I can have a talk with his parents."

"No," she said and in that moment, with that exclamation, the leaf moved. It didn't float or lift from the tabletop, but it definitely moved. Her eyes widened, obviously having seen it do so, too.

"We cannot take any more of Professor Filius' time, Jasmin."

"Fine," she said.

"You will get the leaf to float soon enough. I promise."

"Everyone says you and mummy are brilliant."

"Mm, yes, I've heard that, too," he said, not sure exactly where she was going with that statement.

"What if I'm not?"

Ah.

"I can already tell you that you are, Jasmin. You have impressed me at every turn since I first saw you."

"You have to say that," she said, standing from the spot she'd been sitting in and moving to his lap.

He wasn't sure he'd ever get over her continuing to want this closeness from him. He knew there were some who would scold him for ‘babying' her. He would take her affection in whatever form she wished to demonstrate it. One day she would no longer wish to sit on his lap and he would regret telling her no.

"No," he murmured, "I really don't. Regardless, you can tell Master Blythe that Hermione Granger-Snape is as much your mother as anyone else's mother is to them."

She sighed deeply, her body shuddering against him. This was clearly weighing heavily on her. She rested her head against his chest and he kissed the top of her head as she snuggled against him. He wouldn't say Jasmin was his favourite. He loved all three of his children (and he did consider Ivy and Jasmin his by now) equally. However, she was young enough so as to not remember those first few weeks that he had to get used to them. That he had to decide to not be a cold arse.

Not that Ivy held those few weeks against him, but he preferred knowing Jasmin didn't recall them.

Filius left then, knowing Severus would ensure the room was closed up when they left.

They had consulted with Kingsley when they married four years ago about getting an actual birth certificate drawn up for Ivy and Jasmin, with Hermione listed as the mother. This was, of course, noticed and reported upon by the Daily Prophet . They'd hoped their wedding would have made that nugget of gossip-worthy information go unnoticed. No such luck. It seemed fitting, though, that with their marriage certificate, Ivy and Jasmin should be officially theirs, too. (The other version of Hermione ever returning would negate that in their eyes and lead to a great deal of explanations, but he and Hermione had agreed it needed to be done.)

Kingsley had, gratefully, taken a hit for them and said in an interview that the updated birth certificate was merely reflecting that Hermione Granger-Snape had adopted the girls. Copies of the original birth certificates were not available and Severus, Hermione, their daughters, and the daughters' biological mother had a right to privacy.

"I'm not really ‘dopted," she whispered.

"No, you aren't. It's a bit more complex than that, Jasmin. It is what we have to tell people. One day, Mummy and I will tell you what we know and how you came to us. I know Ivy has told you some of it."

"Our first mummy brought us," she said. "There were scary bad people."

"Yes," he said. "To keep you and your sister safe. Your mother and I, this Hermione and I, didn't create you but we are them here. And you know we love you."

"I do," she said.

"I am sorry that Mr. Blythe is giving you trouble for that. People, children especially, tease about things that they don't understand."

She nodded, saying nothing. He kissed the top of her head, feeling incredibly inept. He had no idea what to say or do. She was too young really to understand. He wasn't sure Ivy completely understood! For that matter he didn't completely understand some days.

Hermione had been working on recreating the portal the other Hermione had created for years now. Recently, she thought she'd done it, but wanted to improve it so no magical signatures would be left behind if a portal was used.

He had no doubt that his wife could do such a thing. There was to this point nothing she'd set her mind on accomplishing she hadn't succeeded in. Barring - thankfully - landing Ronald Weasley as her intended ten years ago.

Thinking about Hermione and the portal gave him an idea on what he could say to soothe Jasmin.

"Did you know that Charms was your mother's favourite subject?"

She nodded against his chest. "Filius told me," she whispered.

He chuckled. The other professors were addressed as Professor or Mister or Madam. Filius, though, had taken a shine to Ivy and Jasmin so he was just Filius. He'd balked at such informality, but eventually caved.

"I look forward to seeing you get that leaf to levitate."

"Me, too."

"You don't need to get a leaf to float to prove you belong here, Jasmin. In our universe or at Hogwarts. You belong. Both of your parents are strong and capable magical beings. Even if Hermione is your adoptive mother as far as everyone else is concerned. They believe I am your father. You absolutely belong here."

"Thank you, Daddy," she whispered.

"So long as you are not trying to levitate Forrest to another castle…"

She laughed against his chest. He could feel the vibrations against his hands still at her back.

"And, Jasmin," he said softly against her ear. His cheek was pressed against hers.

"Yes, Daddy?"

"I know Forrest takes a lot of our attention, just as you did when you were his age. However, you are still my daughter. Forrest doesn't change that. Okay?"

She nodded.

"Jasmin, look at me, please," he murmured.

She did as asked.

"I love you, Jasmin. Don't ever doubt or question that. I know I was slow to acclimate when you arrived, but I think I did fairly well considering my past."

"I love you, too," she said.

"How often do you visit Filius anyway?" he asked.

She shrugged.

"Is today the first day you were trying to get the leaf to levitate?"

She nodded.

"Well, we will work on it. With Filius or with us. Okay?"

Her eyes grew wide, clearly surprised. He knew that telling her no, trying to forbid her, would only make her want to try more.

"Really?"

"Really. I don't know about the version of your mother you originally had, but this version came to Hogwarts already prepared. She didn't wait for classes to start to learn. Neither did I. Knowledge is not wrong, so long as you allow an adult with you to supervise so that you don't hurt yourself or others. In this case, we'll keep it between Filius, Mummy, and me. I must have your word, though, that if we tell you no to something that you understand that there is a reason at that moment."

She nodded again.

"Good," he said, letting her slide off of his lap. He sighed softly, dreading the day sitting on his lap would no longer be done. He imagined that day would come sooner rather than later. He knew it was about seven or eight when Ivy stopped regularly. She still did once in a while, but not very often anymore at nearly eleven.

She took his offered hand and they left the room. He paused to ensure the room was warded properly before heading toward their quarters in the dungeons. She didn't need to hold his hand. She and Ivy knew the castle almost as well as he did. Perhaps better because he knew they were aware of hiding places he didn't know of. More than once he'd been told by a ghost they seemed to be lost and Hermione or Severus would send their patronus and have the girls follow it back to them.

"Are you really going to teach me to fly the leaf?" she asked, glancing at him once they'd made it to the dungeons.

"Absolutely. I will teach you anything you wish to know, Jasmin. Your mother and I both will. You must ask us, though, and as I said trust if we say no at that time that there is a reason. Neither of us would deny you knowledge without a reason."

"Okay," she said, smiling widely at him.

Something told him that he was in for trouble where she was concerned. Ivy was able to do some basic spells herself, supervised. She was, however, ten - closer to eleven. She'd been curious at Jasmin's age, but not to the point of sitting in Filius' classroom trying to get a leaf to levitate. Of course, Ivy hadn't been told by someone that Hermione wasn't really her mum either. Ivy was better equipped to handle such statements if they happened. He expected they'd bother her, too. She just had more of the facts than Jasmin did yet.

Forrest was walking around the room when they returned and walked right up to Jasmin.

"Hi, Forrest," she said, hugging him as he grabbed onto her legs much the way this girl had done to her big sister. There were times it seemed like ages ago to Severus and others he would be hard pressed not to think those moments hadn't just happened yesterday.

"Hi Mummy," she said, moving to the sofa where her mother was once Forrest released his hold on her. Severus picked his son up, listening to what Jasmin told Hermione about her day.

"The leaf moved?" Hermione asked, glancing at Severus for confirmation. He nodded.

"Well, congratulations."

Jasmin continued with her day from there. No more tears in sight.

He'd done that, soothed her. It made his heart full at the thought she not just relied on him but trusted him so completely.

Return to Top

Part 11 | Part 13

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com