***Chapter Three***
January 13, 2003

Hermione set Crookshanks' carrier down once they'd arrived in the headmistress' office right after Harry.

She stepped into the hug her former head of house offered her. It didn't appear she'd hugged Harry, but she'd also seen him just last week. They got together occasionally for tea or dinner, but it had been a while now since she was here. She was pretty sure it had been since before this new school year started.

"I'm so glad to see you, Hermione."

"Me, too, Minerva."

"It's been too long. You can't let so much time go by again."

"I'll try not to."

"Well, that's better than no I guess."

"Can I let Crooks out?"

"Of course, Dear," she said.

Hermione stooped down to open the carrier. Crooks darted out immediately and was gone before Hermione had time to process it all.

"Maybe he had a date," Harry offered with a laugh.

"I guess so," Hermione said.

"Sit, please," she said, gesturing to the chairs in front of her desk. "I'm sure Harry has filled you in."

"He did."

"Good. I'm sure it's nothing, but I'd prefer this wartime witch's mind be eased with actual facts and proof that it's nothing."

"And the mother still hasn't shown up?" Harry asked.

"No."

"Who would do that? I mean it's been like ten days, right?"

"That I know of, yes. His elf reported the change on January third."

"I just can't imagine. I mean, I spent two nights here last week and felt like I missed things James did."

"Speaking of, Harry made it sound as if you will be staying here, Hermione?"

"Yes. We all know I'm going to be the one doing the research and I'd rather not worry about coming and going at all hours of the day or night. That would inconvenience you as well."

"Excellent. A spot will be set for you at the head table, of course, and I'll show you to your quarters."

"Oh, okay," Hermione said.

"What? Did you think I'd make you stay in Gryffindor dorm?"

"Well, no, I guess I just didn't think about a room," she shrugged. She'd never stayed here overnight before.

"Well, good thing I did."

"I'm going to go see Hagrid while you do that, Minerva. I didn't get to see him last week and I don't want to hurt his feelings."

"Yes, well, you know with Fang gone…"

Hermione bit her lower lip slightly, thinking of Fang. And Hagrid without Fang. Harry mentioned he had a new dog, Bruiser. At least she thought that's what Harry told her his name was. She'd have to get out there to meet this one and say hi to Hagrid, too. She missed him.

The three of them left Minerva's office, descending the stairs. Harry went his own way once they reached a stairwell where they could separate, heading outside to Hagrid's no doubt. Minerva led her to a room on the first floor.

"Just off the library!" Hermione gushed at the thought of being this close to their library.

"As you say, you'll be the one doing the research. You have clearance to anything you need. If there's something that you don't have access to, let me know as it's just an oversight. I want no stone unturned. Again, I'm not hugely concerned, but I'd feel better knowing what really happened."

"I understand."

She took in the room. It was smaller than her flat, but as she'd be taking meals in the Great Hall she didn't need much more than what was here. She didn't plan on having guests, other than Harry. Luna or Neville she supposed could visit her, but she'd be more apt to visit them than the other way around.

"It is acceptable?"

"It's lovely," she said, noticing the fire was already going to take the cold out of the room. Though it wasn't that bad today, at least when they'd left London it hadn't been.

She set her leather bag down and summoned her dufflebag out of it. This she set by her bed, vowing to unpack later.

"So, you really don't know who the mother is?" Hermione asked.

"No, I truly have no idea. I honestly can't even say for certain it's the same mother for both girls, but they arrived together so I assume one mother. He's tightlipped about the whole thing, honestly. No surprise given it's Severus. I just truly didn't even realize it was a possibility. They both take meals with him so you'll see them today. The baby, Jasmin, is very precious and he seems to be adapting. Ivy is five and not quite as much work for him. It was clear he hadn't spent a lot, if any really, time with them prior to their arrival, especially Jasmin. The first few days it was obvious he was not familiar with portions and how to keep it in her mouth versus running down her chin and the front of her dress."

"Really?"

"That's the impression I've been left with, yes."

"How strange."

What kind of woman would Professor Snape be attracted to? What kind of woman would just leave their children? What kind of father would he make? She couldn't imagine him being very … warm. Then her father wasn't all hugs and kisses either and she'd adored him as a little girl. She still did, but it was different. She no longer thought he could do no wrong.

"Before you immerse yourself in books and research. How are you?"

"Oh, I'm fine."

"Just fine?"

Hermione shrugged. What could she say? She wasn't dwelling on the war or anything, but she definitely had … issues. Trust issues, too, no matter that Ron came back. She'd thought of going to a muggle therapist, but that just seemed like a waste of time and money.

"I think while I've forgiven Ronald for leaving as he did I'm not sure I've forgotten," she said.

"I didn't realize that you two were still…"

"We're not, but I think that violation of trust by someone who I had feelings for and who I trusted with my life. Well, I think it's bled into other areas. I don't really talk to anyone at work and I haven't accepted an offer of a date in a year. The last couple were rather disastrous."

"Oh, they couldn't have been that bad."

"They were pretty bad," Hermione said. She wasn't going to give Minerva a detailed run down, but the last one had sworn her off dating for the time being. She clearly wasn't ready.

"Well, it will happen when it's supposed to, Hermione. It hasn't been that long."

"I know, but now that Ron is single again and I'm still single he's looking at me…"

"As if you should be together."

"Yes. And with Ginny on baby number two…"

"Yes, I can see how that would be problematic for someone like Ronald. Maybe some time here will be good for you. A break from everything but not entirely as you're still employed."

"I think you're right. There's my career to think of, too. I've been ‘on loan' to the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes for the past eighteen months. I take that to mean that I rubbed someone at the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures the wrong way." She shrugged. "I wasn't even asked about this assignment. Harry mentioned it and Kingsley approved my time away."

Minerva stepped toward her then, offering her another hug which Hermione accepted.

"The only thing I'm really grateful for is that Ginny doesn't get jealous or mad at my friendship with Harry. I'm not sure what I'd do if I lost him."

"You aren't going to. You are only twenty-three, Hermione. You have plenty of time to do the great things I know that you're capable of doing."

"Thank you. It just doesn't feel that way right now."

"Times are different for everyone. The war is over, but it took its toll. You're not the only one still suffering. There was a price. People who thought to be trustworthy were discovered to be not and vice versa," she said, lips thinning. No doubt she was talking about Professor Snape. "It's an adjustment. No one wants to come through like a muggle battering ram and effect changes immediately. You are a very prominent display of what those changes need to be, though."

"I don't want to be that, though."

"I know, but it's normal for you to feel a little out of sorts yet. I wager Harry does, too, even with Ginny and the boys. Or maybe even because of her and the boys. Yes, I know there's only one actually here, but their second one will be here any day. It's a drastic change for him, though. You will find your calling, your footing, and you will do great things. I firmly believe that."

"Thank you. I feel so … silly."

"Nonsense. You may stay here as long as you need to. If when this assignment is done you're not ready to go back, come talk to me and we'll put our heads together to see if we can find a reason to extend your stay."

That made Hermione feel so warm inside. She wouldn't say they were close friends, but she loved this woman and was so grateful the feelings were returned. With her parents remaining in Australia, it was nice to have a parental figure around.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Because I believe in you. And it's no less than you deserve. Now freshen up and join us in the Great Hall for lunch when you are ready. If you need anything, anything at all, you can call for Wazy."

"Thank you."

She watched as Minerva left, taking a moment to take in the room. It was rather quaint. The bathroom was off the single bedroom. There was a small kitchen area and then the sitting area with a very small study. The small study, though. Well, she wondered if Minerva had it charmed for her because there was a bay window obviously charmed to give her a view of the Forbidden Forest. There were a bunch of pillows and cushions there. Minerva truly did know her well. It was definitely a spot she would enjoy while here. The windows obviously wouldn't open or reflect any actual sunlight, but it was appreciated nonetheless.

She went to unpack then and ready herself for lunch. Would Harry be there? Would Hagrid come to lunch, too? He didn't always take meals in the Great Hall. She had to admit she missed him. He was familiar.

The alarm she'd set went off, telling her that she would be late for lunch if she waited much longer. She ensured her robes were presentable, checked her reflection quickly to make sure she looked okay to see students and staff before heading down to the Great Hall.

***

Severus scowled at the sight as first Harry Potter walked through the doors, followed by Hagrid. What was The Boy Who Lived and Lived doing here? He'd just been here last week. Severus hadn't seen the wizard, but heard he was there. And avoided taking meals in the Great Hall for just that reason.

Truthfully, Severus didn't find him very annoying any longer. He didn't loathe the wizard either. He had proven his worth more than just negligibly. He just hated the way he looked at Severus with expectation. He had worked very hard while recuperating to sort through all of his baggage. He thought he'd done a very good job of accomplishing that. He really didn't want to do anything to unsort it.

Or to make casual observers think that he was trying to appear to be more significant a part of Lily Potter's life than he was.

He just didn't see how sitting down and having a heart to heart would help either wizard. He wasn't the only person who grew up without his parents. Some never ran into people who knew them to fill them in on their pasts.

"Dada." Severus shook his head at the name.

If there was any doubt that the diagnostics were wrong, that she wasn't that other version of him's daughter, that name proved it. He was still getting used to her addressing him that way. She was also very demanding about kisses before naps and bed. He was curious why Ivy called him Father.

"Dada, kiss kiss," she'd say, pointing at his mouth.

It was clear it was a ritual she was used to. From her letter, that Severus had been separated from them but once a week for months. So, he presumed that one day a week she got two kisses from him. And from her mum the rest of the days.

"It's okay, Jasmin," he said.

He still hadn't been able to … address himself as Daddy to either girl. He didn't like the idea of lying to them, and he wasn't the father they knew. The father he'd seen more than just a few photos (mostly muggle) of interacting with these girls. Seemingly happy and adept at doing so. "Let's see to your lunch."

He regarded Ivy's plate first to ensure the pieces were edible size for her before focusing on Jasmin.

He felt eyes on them as he had every meal they took in the Great Hall together as he focused first on his daughters before seeing to his own meal.

Both seemed to thrive on the crowd. Jasmin especially seemed to know she garnered a lot of attention. So it was surprising to him that she started to get … fussy.

Uncontrollably.

"What's the matter, Jasmin?" he murmured.

"Mamamama."

"No, Jasmin, Mummy is not here."

That was evidently not the right answer because she only raised her voice to an almost shrill level to emphasize her frustration.

She got to the point she was inconsolable so he lifted her from her seat and stood to leave the Great Hall. He could get lunch in his quarters. He wasn't going to make everyone else at Hogwarts sit through her fit. She didn't have these moods often that he could tell and as there was currently a hall full of people he couldn't take her flying. Unless he bundled her up and took her outside, but she'd likely be calmed by the time he did all of that.

"Come along, Ivy. We'll have to get lunch in my quarters today."

He saw Ivy's face light up and he wondered what that was about. Was she laughing at him? At his inability to settle her sister down? She hadn't seemed to do anything like that to this point.

And then he spotted her.

Saw Jasmin's little hand opening and closing in a fist, reaching for the witch who'd just walked through the doors.

The witch she would think was her mum.

And he had to admit to her one year old mind, she wasn't wrong.

He settled her against his chest and shoulder, patting her back in the way she seemed to like. He brushed his cheek against the top of her head so that he could speak softly to her.

"I am sorry. I know you don't understand, but it's okay," he whispered against her ear, walking in the opposite direction from Miss Granger. Ivy wordlessly followed, but didn't seem happy about it. He wasn't sure what he'd do if they both had a fit. He wasn't equipped for that and only had two arms!

There was no way he could sufficiently explain to a one year old that the witch she just saw was, in fact, not her mother. Did Ivy know it wasn't? She had to. This Hermione's hair was different.

He took them to his quarters, setting Jasmin in the playpen that she thoroughly enjoyed being in most of the time. She had a decent assortment of toys to play with while in there.

By now the girl seemed to have forgotten what she'd seen that had upset her.

He sat in his chair nearby and Ivy crawled onto his lap. She was looking rather expectantly at him and he wasn't sure how to handle that. Talk about pressure.

Fuck. Was he ruining them already?

He'd been so fixated on what he was feeling having these girls dropped, literally where Jasmin was concerned, into his arms ten days ago. It was incredibly inconvenient. He hadn't stopped to realize what they had to be feeling. It didn't sound from her letter as if that universe's Severus and Hermione had been able to live together the past four years or so.

So for years Ivy had been used to primarily seeing her mum not Severus. Jasmin had never lived with Severus. And now she was someplace where she saw only Severus and not her mum.

And when she had seen her mum.

It wasn't really her mum. Not the mum she knew. Not the mum who knew her.

She just knew that for the first time in days her mum had come into the room and from her perspective didn't even notice her. Something he suspected was quite unusual for most mums to do.

He scooted Ivy down and gestured for her to move to the sofa. She climbed up and smiled but she was clearly confused, too.

He stood then, picking Jasmin up from the playpen and bringing her with him so they could sit with Ivy on the sofa. To this point he had been his normal stoic and distant self. He wasn't rude, but business-like. That's what this was, after all. Business. He'd been tasked with doing something. He would see it through.

He lifted her so that she was facing him, regarding her. He looked at Ivy then after settling Jasmin on his lap. These children who were half of a different version of him. Their brown eyes, a perfect mix of his black and their mum's brown. A head of curls so dark they were almost as black as his hair. Both girls. If they were closer in age he suspected they could pass for twins.

Stoic and distant would not do. This was not business. Especially for Ivy who was clearly doing her best not to upset him .

The irony in that.

She didn't even talk much and her ability to play alone without disturbing him while helpful wasn't normal. Shouldn't she want him to play with her? That should have bothered him. He didn't know a lot about children, but five year olds in his experience were busy and vocal. And craved attention (deservedly so, even he could admit that). He hadn't bothered his father to play with him because by this age he'd been told not to.

Merlin. Had she been told not to bother him? Had she been told to entertain herself? Stay out of his way? Did she think he'd get mad if she didn't? He didn't get the impression that Severus was an easily angered man, and both girls clearly liked their father. Yet, they also didn't spend every day with him. So, was Ivy led to believe she had to take her cue from him? If he wished to play she could but if he didn't she was to entertain herself?

He had to change. He had to step up. He clearly had decided by this point not to look into what kind of spell she might have created to replicate it and hunt their mother down. That meant, for the time being, they were staying. Here, with him. Potentially they may not go back. If after six years the war in their universe was still going strong. Well, there may not be a there to go back to. That was why their mother sent them here. To him. To ensure they had the chance at a life.

"I am sorry, Ivy. I have been unfair to you and Jasmin. I will try to be and do better. This isn't your fault. You don't understand what's happening. I know you have some concept of things. I don't know Hermione Granger well here but cannot imagine your version is much different than the one I do know. And while she and her friends engaged in activities while she was a student here that I found foolish, I am aware that she has grown up. I do know that she is not a foolish nor stupid witch. Even if I thought she still might be, she wouldn't have done this if she didn't truly think there was a chance your lives were at risk. So if your mother brought you here there was a reason for it. The threat she thought was there was viable and credible. So, I vow from this moment forward to ensure you are not … wanting."

How he would do that he wasn't sure, but he vowed not to be the reason these children were scarred in any way shape or form. He didn't believe he'd get another chance at righting the wrongs of his father. He was forty-three years old, living in a remote Scottish Highlands castle, and had neither vast wealth nor a great disposition to catch a witch's attention.

So, this was it.

His chance to prove that he wasn't his father.

Who he was trying to prove that to he couldn't be sure.

Jasmin settled her head against his chest and Ivy scooted closer to him on the sofa, resting her head against his side.

"Love you, Father," she murmured.

And what was he supposed to say to that? He didn't know these girls.

"Father loves you, too," he said. That he felt comfortable saying.




Return to Top

Part 2 | Part 4

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com