TITLE: Want Your Kiss
AUTHOR: Susan / apckrfan
E-MAIL
DISTRIBUTION: My site, AO3, FanFiction.net, LiveJournal.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own any characters. They are owned by JK Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Brothers, etc. No profit is made from this fic.
RATING: FRT
SPOILERS: General spoilers, this diverges from Deathly Hallows (SS lives)
SUMMARY: Hermione Granger surprises Severus Snape with a rare gift that she hopes will bring them both luck on the night of the Full Snow Moon (sometimes called the Hunger Moon)
CHARACTERS/PAIRING: Hermione Granger / Severus Snape
DATE STARTED: March 2022
STATUS: Complete
WORD COUNT: 3,700 +/-
FEEDBACK: Please, I can't write better without it.
NOTES: This was a fluffy idea that I started back in February, but then I guess it got lost. So, I finished it up and even though it's Independence Day so not at all approaching St. Patrick's Day - here we are.
NOTES 2: There is a Spotify playlist of 17 songs I made that goes with this story. It's under the story title Want Your Kiss and my name Susan Matthews. (I can't do art, but I have enjoyed making some playlists for stories recently!)




February 27, 2002 (Wednesday)

She couldn't believe her luck!

She gave a soft laugh at the irony in that thought, considering her luck was finding more than just a few four leaf clovers that had somehow survived the Scottish Highlands' winter. Less than three weeks before St. Patrick's Day.

She quickly pulled off her kid gloves and stuffed them in her cloak pockets before pulling a basket from the leather backpack. It had replaced her beaded bag when she started working at Hogwarts this past September. Ensuring the basket was clean with a gentle spell that wouldn't contaminate anything going in it, she then began gathering the four leaf clovers. She was careful and deliberate in her movements.

Precise.

Part of their … enchantment was in the handling of this rare plant. So many just jerked them out of the ground when they found them and then dismissed the idea that a four leaf clover would bring them luck.

Like anything, one had to give something to get something. One had to treat this plant with care and respect, and then. Well, maybe, if you were one of the chosen few it would shine its luck on you.

She collected many, filling the basket. She wondered more than once as she worked where they were all coming from. It was February!

"I should have known," the familiar voice of the one Divination professor at Hogwarts that she liked.

She wouldn't say she was startled by his sudden presence, but she hadn't heard him approach and assumed she was alone in this endeavour tonight. She should have known … The Forest is always watching.

"Professor Firenze," she said, smiling brightly at the centaur. She took the opportunity to slide her gloves back on for a few moments. She hadn't noticed until now, taking a break from her collecting, how cold and raw her hands were. Particularly her fingers, but the gloves just didn't work as well for this task.

"Just Firenze will do."

"Old habits," she said.

"I know."

"What gave me away?" she asked.

"It wasn't you. It was the … shift I felt."

"What do you mean?"

He closed the distance between them, leaning his head down a bit. It was easy when she'd been a child and he'd been her professor not to pay attention to how much larger than her he was.

As an adult, out here alone where no one even knew where she'd gone, well it was hard not to pay attention to such a thing. Even if she knew Firenze wouldn't harm her.

"The snow is not gone, Hermione. They chose to show themselves to you on this night of the Full Moon. Whatever you are wishing for is obviously pure of heart and something they wish to see happen."

She ran a fingertip along the handle of the basket, feeling a little like Little Red Riding Hood. She knew, too, she was blushing at his words. Did he know why she was here collecting these four leaf clovers? Thank goodness he'd likely mistake any colour on her cheeks to the Scottish winds in February than embarrassment.

How was that possible anyway? Who were they? And why would they do that for her?

"Well, it's appreciated." It really was. She'd been looking for an in to getting him alone for almost two months. They'd both been busy after the Christmas holidays. (She spent more than a healthy amount of her Christmas holidays thinking of what kissing him under the mistletoe would be like instead of Luna.) Tonight, though, she had felt the inexplicable urge to come out here.

The centaur nodded, offering her a smile. She wondered if he was still suffering … prejudices and hatred for his choices during the war many of his herd found unseemly. She hoped not as he'd proven himself loyal and a worthwhile ally.

"I do not expect your next stop to be as easily accomplished." This was said with a knowing glint in his eyes that made Hermione wonder just why she thought Divination was a load of crap. She grimaced at his truth in his statement, which made him laugh. She was not even going to bother wondering how he knew what her next step was. He obviously knew things he shouldn't as to why she was here.

"No, I imagine it won't be," she said simply.

Eventually, he disappeared into the Forest and she removed her gloves once again to go about her collecting. She knew he wasn't far. She couldn't see him, but felt him there. Watching. Protecting. She should get mad that he took it upon himself to do that, but she knew while there were many creatures in the Forest who were grateful for the Order's efforts there were still some who weren't. And would likely enjoy roughing up Hermione Granger.

She just hadn't even been thinking about danger or weather or … anything, when she'd dressed to go out tonight. She hadn't even realized she'd end up in the Forest.

She finished collecting the clovers. Firenze had to be telling her the truth because it was almost as if there was an endless supply of them and each and every one of them had four leaves.

That just statistically was not possible. She'd never actually run the numbers on the odds of finding one four leaf clover, let alone a heaping basket full.

She hadn't been in this particular spot recently to know about snow cover, but now that she thought about it as she ensured the clovers were covered and protected from the elements. No sense them freezing rendering them useless. Well, there weren't any other spots this clear from the winter's snowfall yet.

She nodded in the direction she knew Firenze was, ensuring the basket was secure before sliding her gloves back on.

"Have a good evening, Professor Granger," he said.

"You, too, Firenze. And it's Hermione."

He walked with her along the way, staying behind her and out of view but clearly intent on ensuring she found her way back to the clearing that would lead her back to Hogwarts. It was dark despite the moon being full so she appreciated the gesture.

She gave him a slight nod once she was close enough to see Hagrid's hut before heading back to the castle.

Once inside she lowered the hood of her cloak. She then switched the basket of these special clovers from one hand to the other so she could slide her kid gloves off, shoving them in her cloak pockets once again.

"Hello Professor Granger," a group of students said when they spotted her.

"Good evening," she said, offering them a smile. Normally, she would scold them about being out past curfew, but there was a group of them coming from the Astronomy Tower. As Firenze mentioned it was the Full Moon, which meant Aurora Sinistra likely offered extra credit to those wanting to explore the night's sky and write papers on their observations. So, all of the students she was passing would be excused for being out of their dorms. There was no one in this group who was a known rule breaker or trouble maker.

She made her way down the stairs that would take her to the dungeons. She hoped this wasn't a huge mistake.

At least it wasn't Valentine's Day!

She stopped at the door that would lead to his classroom, pausing nervously. She didn't really have a choice, of course, or the clovers would be wasted. And with such a bounty of them and if what Firenze said was true that they revealed themselves to and for her. Well, she couldn't waste them.

Setting the basket down in front of his door, knocking and fleeing the scene of the crime was an option. Except that she wasn't twelve attempting to steal from him. If she actually wanted him to see her, acknowledge her, as a woman and potentially his witch she couldn't run away.

The door jerked open, taking her decision away from her.

"What do you want?" The question was clipped, succinct, inpatient. He was clearly not amused.

His eyes narrowed a bit and he looked somewhat … repentant when he saw it was her standing at his door. That made her feel better. She thought they'd become friends over the last few months. Luna seemed to think he reciprocated her feelings, but wasn't sure what to do about them yet. She hated thinking that she was mistaken in that belief or that she'd misunderstood Luna's words. Or this errand would be foolish indeed. He'd had months to decide. She didn't want to wait forever!

"Professor Granger," he said. "I assumed it was an errant student thinking I, too, would offer them extra credit for gazing upon tonight's moon not realizing I do in fact work this late."

She stifled the smirk that wanted to escape. That would not do. He would not take well to thinking she was laughing at him. He had yet to determine, it seemed, that one could find something he said funny without laughing at him. It wasn't an apology, but from him it was. She was getting to know that it wasn't always what he said but how he said it. He assumed it was an errant student, set to bother him.

The implication behind that statement was that she was not bothering him.

She hoped so anyway.

"I don't think there's a student here who thinks you don't."

"What can I do for you?"

The hint of colour on his cheeks made her wonder where his mind went to with that question. A hint of colour that she found … endearing and gave her strength to go through with this.

Waste not, want not.

She had to think of the precious cargo in her basket and the potions he could produce with them.

"Well, I was out for a walk and stumbled upon something that might interest you."

He gave her a dubious look, but definitely looked somewhat intrigued.

She peeled the covering back from her basket and his eyes widened. She wasn't sure he'd even noticed the basket before now. One thing she noticed about Severus Snape he seemed to … intentionally keep contact only with her eyes and face.

At first she thought it was odd. And a little insulting because since about October she knew that she wanted this man to notice her. She hadn't known what to do with a man talking to her always keeping his focus on her eyes. Not that she attracted undo attention or craved it, but it was natural she thought to eye something - or someone - if they interested you. Attraction, for most, started with the outward appearance. More often than not in her experience the man decided she was lacking or not worth the trouble.

Then at the staff Christmas party when she'd stood under a sprig of mistletoe she noticed that he did indeed look at her in that way. The dress she wore having an exceedingly low decollete may have helped with that. She'd held her breath for at least a minute because she very much liked that look there. She'd worn the dress, in fact, as a test.

She'd thought their first kiss would be that night, under the mistletoe in front of the rest of the Hogwarts staff and their guests. Memorable and perhaps a little too public for either of them. He had not been given the opportunity, and she thought that he might have if Luna Lovegood hadn't beat him to it.

It was … nice kiss as kisses went. Direct and to the point, lingering a bit but just lips against lips. She wouldn't deny a curiosity in kissing another woman. She liked knowledge after all. Severus Snape wasn't the only one watching them when Luna moved her lips to the side of Hermione's head.

"He doesn't know whether he wants to, yet," the blonde witch had whispered. "And I didn't want anyone else to do it and be hexed or challenged to a duel. I knew you would not be insulted. I mean, as fun as watching Severus Snape duel anyone here would be, it's Christmas!"

"He'd do that?"

She regarded the potions professor across the room, who was watching the two of them very curiously. Why did the thought of that thrill her down to her toes instead of thinking he was barbaric?

"I think he might," she whispered. "Yes, and since he's not sure whether he wants to or not yet. Well, I fear that could lead to a bad result for whoever dared kiss you."

"Thank you, Luna."

"Good luck, Hermione."

So she'd left that night believing that Severus Snape was interested in her, too, but just not ready (or able) to admit it. That had given her hope. Hope was all that she needed as she left for the holiday break. She was her usual friendly, but not too friendly, self when they sat next to one another at meals (more often than not these days) once classes resumed in January.

"Clovers?" he asked, bringing her thoughts back to here and now. The reason for her visit. Well, the ruse disguised as a reason for her visit.

She shouldn't be surprised he was able to smell them.

"Four leaf clovers," she said.

She drew the cover away completely and she was pretty sure she'd never forget the look on his face at that precise moment. Not just the look, but that she was responsible for it being there.

"You left the roots?"

"Of course I did!"

He grimaced, looking somewhat apologetic.

"You are right. I know better," he said simply.

"Apology accepted," she said cheerfully, brushing past him as she pushed her way into his classroom. "Shall we?"

"You want to assist me?"

He hadn't said no and ordered her out of his classroom at least.

"Well, I didn't go through the effort of picking them to let you have all of the fun," she said.

He seemed to acquiesce, which surprised her. At least that he didn't put up more of a fight.

She followed him into his lab where she put the basket of clovers carefully onto the table after casting a cushioning charm on the spot she planned on putting it just to be doubly safe. One couldn't be too cautious with the precious commodity in this basket.

Not only were these four-leaf clovers and picked on the night of a Full Moon to boot. No, they were the first four-leaf clovers after the spring's thaw (even if for whatever reason the grounds weren't thawed yet). They were special and would be extra potent.

They prepared their stations and set about tending to the clovers. The roots had to be carefully removed before they were stored.

"These are wonderful," he said about an hour or so into it.

"I was surprised."

"You'll have to let me in on your secret next month."

"Well, St. Patrick's Day is in two weeks…"

"And tonight is the Full Moon. You did very well," he said.

About an hour later she had to admit she was growing sleepy. She'd been up before sunrise, but working with him like this was so nice that she wasn't about to quit! He hadn't offered criticism or been short with her once as he looked over at where she was working. He evidently wasn't having any problems staying awake.

She was concentrating so thoroughly on separating the clovers and ensuring the roots were removed that she didn't notice him move until he was right beside her.

She glanced at him, leery of the look in his eye.

He looked so … soft. She had never in the years she'd known him thought of him as soft. Even the way he dressed was intent on appearing hard and aloof. Unapproachable.

"You should look in a mirror," he said, waving his hand. She assumed he was indicating the way to the mirror above the sink he had in his lab. "Take a moment to refresh yourself."

"Oh," she said, suddenly feeling embarrassed. "I imagine I look a fright." She probably had dirt and mud on her face. She hadn't even thought about cleaning up before coming here. She inwardly sighed at being so inept at this that she couldn't even put her best foot forward when coming here intent on getting that first kiss from him.

She walked then to the sink, turning the water on to get it warm enough. Another wave of disappointment washed through her. She thought for sure he was finally going to kiss her! Even she had a limit to how patient she could be. Should she kiss him first? Again, why did she have to be so bloody bad at this!

She wondered this as she focused on her hands as the warm water cleansed and soothed them. They were stained from not just the dirt but handling the clovers. She gasped when she finally looked in the mirror. A crown of the clovers was sitting on top of her head. She hadn't even felt him put it there!

The wave of his hand! He hadn't been pointing or gesturing at anything. Sneaky devil!

"Severus," she said, unable to stop herself from using his given name. She'd wanted to for months. She'd called it in her sleep more than once. She'd never called him that, though, to his face. "It's lovely." She lifted her hand, watching through the mirror as it touched the crown. The sweet smell of the plant that many associated with the Irish and good luck surrounding her.

She closed her eyes as she turned to face him, hoping her luck tonight would continue to hold out. He tilted his head a bit as she closed the distance between them.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"It seemed a fair payment for such a bounty."

"Will it die?"

"Eventually, but I charmed it so it should last longer than just a few days."

"Thank you," she said again.

"You already said that."

"Yes, well, I'm procrastinating."

"Procrastinating?"

"Seeing just how far my luck is going to go tonight."

"Oh?"

She shifted then, standing on her tiptoes. He looked surprised, but once that was over he met her more than halfway. His lips met hers and she sighed softly, hands resting against his forearms for balance. She did notice that even tilting her head as she was to be able to kiss him the crown of clovers hadn't fallen or moved as if to slide off her head.

Clever man. Of course she knew that. It was one of the - many - reasons she had developed feelings for him. It started before she came here to teach this year, but had grown the more time she spent with him.

She snaked her hands up and around his neck, drawing him deeper into the kiss even if it was just lips against lips at this point. She kissed his top lip and scrunched her nose a bit at the way past five o'clock shadow her lips came into contact with. Sadly, the last time she'd really kissed someone had been Ron when they were eighteen and his stubble wasn't so prevalent. He echoed the gesture, finding her upper lip and she gave a soft hum at the … niceness of it. It wasn't perfect. She wasn't expecting perfection.

He cleared his throat then as they both paused, neither moving to put distance between them. So it seemed he was okay with this happening, too.

"You are not with Miss Lovegood?"

She laughed softly, finding his jaw then. She kissed it lightly, shaking her head

"She kissed me so that no one else would."

"Why?" he asked.

"She was afraid you'd hex them or challenge them to a duel."

He scoffed and she frowned slightly. Had Luna misread? He certainly hadn't just kissed her as if he didn't want to.

"She might have been correct," he murmured. He clearly wasn't comfortable saying that.

"I will thank her later then. She told me you weren't sure you wanted to be the one to kiss me yet."

"Oh, I very much wanted to. I didn't believe you would want me to. I presumed the dress was worn for someone."

"It was. You."

"Well, forgive me for not commenting on how stunning you looked until now."

He thought she'd looked stunning? Really? She'd been called cute and pretty. Viktor told her she looked beautiful for the Yule Ball. Stunning had never been used before, though. She liked it, especially since she'd worn it with him in mind.

"Do you know what the other name for this month's Full Moon is, Severus?"

"It is known to some as the Hunger Moon," he said with a nod and she smiled, pleased that he knew that without having to think hard on it.

"I'm hungry, Severus Snape, and it has nothing to do with having to scavenge for food because of the inclement weather."

"Mm, you plan on hunting instead?" The lift of his lips told her he was having fun at her expense.

"I already hunted," she said, gesturing to the lab table behind them. "Now I want my reward."

"I see," he said, sliding his hands around her waist. "My offered crown is not enough gratitude?"

She shook her head, grateful that she could tell he was teasing and not serious.

"It was lacking in the closeness I would like."

"Yes," he murmured with a prolonged s that sounded more like a hiss.

His lips found hers again, opening tentatively and hers did the same. They were both hesitant, but it was clear the desire to learn what the other wanted and liked was the reason for that not the kissing itself.

By the time they returned to the rest of the bounty of clovers whoever had gifted her with finding on his lab table, it was clear something had shifted. Her station and its supplies was much closer to him and his than it had been moments ago. And if their hands brushed against one another as they reached for the next clover to destem and lingered for just a moment or two longer than necessary.

Well, neither complained.

And Hermione suddenly no longer found herself at all tired.

~The End~

Return to Top

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com