***Chapter Thirteen***

Another school year started.

It was not at all like his previous first day.

It should have been familiar. He hadn't been gone that long.

It was new to Severus as he was teaching under very different circumstances than his previous experience had been. There was no duplicity in play here. He was free to … teach.

Hermione for her part was in a different world, too, working on her doctorate.

As it turned out they hardly used their rental house, and they'd talked about getting out of it entirely once the year was done. However, for Hermione to go to school she needed an official address. An unplottable magical castle was not going to work. He still had the Spinners End property, but he refused to have her use that as her address.

The sitter Andromeda recommended, Patrice, was working out splendidly. She took good care of Evelynn without overstepping her boundaries as a caregiver versus being a parent. Ginevra was backup if needed, but all had agreed not having to transport children (whether it be Evelynn or James) daily was easiest. As Patrice was willing to stay on they'd left it as is.

No hard feelings, which had been Hermione's fear when she and Severus had discussed keeping Patrice on.

Severus being in the building where Patrice and Evelynn were helped immensely. He was only a patronus away if something urgent truly came up.

To this point it had not. Neither knew nothing about babies really, but thought they'd done very well for themselves when compared to other babies they'd seen. No colic or any other issues.

Hermione had a late start today and decided after breakfast to stop in and observe Severus' class before heading out.

She'd seen his lesson plans and everything, but there was something different about seeing it playing out for real. And, in truth, she loved watching him do the foolish wand waving he made look so regal.

She slipped into the room, but not unnoticed by him. The students noticed, too. It was his third year Slytherin and Hufflepuffs, so her presence was met by a pretty drastic difference. The Hufflepuffs regarded her with interest. She had married this wizard. This former spy. The Slytherins did, too, but in a very different way. They were analyzing just what Severus Snape was getting out of a marriage to her.

She'd wondered that a few times, too, when he'd first proposed marriage to her. There had to be more for him than simply the potential for an heir. He could get that anywhere! From anyone! He could do it if he wanted to without the conventions of marriage. He was Severus Snape and had taken to living in the muggle world.

"Good morning, class," she said since everyone had stopped listening to him anyway. "Master Snape," she said with a polite bow of her head in his direction.

"Madam Snape," he drawled.

There was a glimmer in his eye that absolutely did not belong in a classroom. How anyone could look into them and see nothing but coldness or evil she did not understand. Right now she was getting tingly in places she had no business having happen right now. She had to go to school and he'd also done a very thorough job of taking care of her before Evelynn had woken and they had breakfast this morning.

"Do you not have other commitments this morning?"

"Actually, no, not for a couple of hours so I thought I'd come see what we're learning today."

"Excellent," he said.

She noticed a couple of mouths agape at his response. There was no sarcasm behind it. This was not the Severus Snape these third years had heard rumors about. He turned his attention to the students.

"Shall we show my wife what we're working on today then?"

There were a couple of giggles and scoffs heard before they went about doing just that.



"Off to class now?" he asked once the classroom was empty except them.

"Yes."

"This was unexpected," he admitted.

"Unexpectedly bad?" she asked and he could hear the uncertainty in her voice.

"No, it was … nice," he said.

He hated using that word, but it had been nice to see that she took an interest in what he was doing. She could have stayed in their rooms and spent her additional time with Evelynn. She did not. Not that it was a competition, but it made him feel almost giddy inside that she'd chosen him.

"It was. I think it's important, too, that they see you are, in fact, human."

"Ulterior motives then, Wife?"

"No, but they've heard stories. Probably dramatic and embellished, but stories nonetheless. They need to see you're real, just the same as everyone else."

"Harry has the same problem."

"Harry did not disappear for essentially four years."

"True," he said.

"All right," she said, standing on her tiptoes to kiss him. "Have a good day."

"You, too," he said as his next class started to filter in. These were sixth years so not too far removed from her own days as a student here. He wondered how she felt about that.

"Try not to hex anyone, honey," she said with a wink.

He shook his head with a scoff. "I will try to refrain."

"Be good for Professor Snape, class. I think he might actually be in a good mood this morning!"

"What my wife fails to realize is that you lot can change my mood rather quickly," he said.

"Which is why I suggested they be good so they can enjoy your good mood and let the next class ruin it instead."

"All right, Madam Wife, off with you to your own studies. We don't want your professors in a bad mood today either. Do we, hmm?"

"Of course, Severus," she said.

She rarely called him Severus in front of students. Then again he didn't really go out of his way to call her Hermione in front of them either. He wasn't sure why. Everyone by this point in the school year knew they were married and had a child.

Evelynn and Hermione were favorites out by the lake on weekends. Occasionally he'd join them, but while the weather was holding up Saturdays and Sundays one could usually spot Hermione and an appropriately dressed Evelynn on the lawn. Hermione with a book in her hands, of course, while Evelynn enjoyed the fresh air and the occasional butterfly or what have you that landed on her nose.

As September turned into October Evelynn's outdoor attire had certainly changed despite the fact it was still appropriate to bring her outside. In September it had been heavier weight, long sleeved clothes and a bonnet. Now, the bonnet was replaced by an actual hat and the clothes were covered by a jacket. And leggings if she wore a dress that day.

It was interesting to watch this and how Hermione just seemed to know what to do in these circumstances. She didn't laugh at him or anything when he asked questions.

Why does she need a hat when a bonnet was suitable a week ago?

Why does she need leggings under a skirt?

Why does she need sunscreen even when it's cloudy?

Why do you put shoes on her feet when she isn't walking?

Having never been around babies for any length of time he just didn't know and felt incredibly … dumb for a change that he had to ask such questions. Some of her answers were simply "because that's what you do, Severus". So, she didn't really know either, just that was what her parents did for her so it was what she knew.



He was called up to the headmistress' office before lunch as he dismissed his class. He was in a pretty good mood if he wanted to be honest with himself. That was certainly new compared to previous school years. He'd started the day in a most pleasing way with his wife followed by breakfast with said wife and their daughter. She'd taken time out of her day to visit him in class, to let his students know however discreetly that she cared. That she wanted to be a part of his life.

So, he was not expecting the absolutely violent reaction to seeing Minerva holding his daughter on her lap behind that desk.

"Why is she here?" he asked.

"Patrice wanted tea, Severus," Minerva said.

"That does not answer my question, Minerva. There are rules in place. She is not to be in this office."

"Severus," she said.

"And where is Patrice?" This question came when it was dreadfully obvious their sitter was not present in the office. That meant his daughter was alone here!

"I told her I was sending for you so she could go back to your rooms and you'd bring little Evelynn with you when we were finished."

"No," he said. "I will fire her the next time this happens."

"Severus, my boy," Albus said from his portrait.

He wasn't in it, Severus observed, but he was clearly close enough to hear what was going on. That was exactly why he did not want his daughter in this office. Ever. If he took over as headmaster, Albus' portrait would be moved somewhere that was not this office.

"Do not," he said sharply. "Give me my daughter and do not attempt such subterfuge again or I will leave, Minerva. I don't need this job. I don't need you."

"You need Hogwarts, Severus."

"That may be, but I have survived four years without it. I will again. My child, any of them, are not allowed in his presence. Did I not make myself clear when we talked about my returning?"

"He's not here, Severus. He's just a portrait. He wanted to see your daughter."

"I do not care what he wants. When he asks you to kill him, to soil a part of your soul for him, when he asks you to watch after and protect a child only so that said child can be slaughtered later. My only friend's son! Well, then you can talk to me. Until then, keep him away from my wife and daughter."

"It's not Minnie's fault, Severus."

Evelynn started fussing then, likely because she'd never really had the occasion to hear raised voices until now. Yes, she'd been around boisterous Weasleys and Potters, but that was a different sound even Severus knew that.

"I am not speaking to him. I'm speaking to you, and my deal was with you, Headmistress. This office is off limits. Now give her to me and I will talk to Patrice."

"You are going to scare her if you go to her like this, Severus. Really. You'd think I…"

"Went against my only stipulation for returning? Yes, yes I think that you did precisely that. You're lucky I don't clear out now."

"Severus. You can't avoid…"

"I can avoid his portrait for as long as I damned well please."

He strode to her then, taking Evelynn from her who had worked herself into quite the fit now. She didn't cry uncontrollably often, but when she did she certainly let him and Hermione know that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her lungs. He settled his hand at the back of her head and bounced her slightly the way that she liked. He wasn't sure it would work now because this was a different kind of fit.

"I trusted you, Headmistress," he hissed. "You gave me your word."

"I'm sorry, Severus, months in I didn't think…"

"Obviously, you did not think. We'll leave it at that or I am liable to say something I can't take back nor apologize for later. If this happens again I will be out of here. Are we clear? There is no months in or years in. I will not change my mind about that egomaniac seeing my children. For filling their heads with tales of how I don't truly love their mother or she is second best to a dead witch I was never involved with and haven't loved for almost twenty years who happens to be the mother of my wife's best friend. Do you not see the problem here, Minerva? I do not want him meddling in my life or that of my wife or children. The Dark Lord was defeated and my role as spy has been completed; he no longer has the right or control over me."

She huffed, he saw tears in her eyes and for a fraction of a second he felt bad. Overall, he liked Minerva once he got past his experiences with her as a professor while he was a student here.

He took his leave then. It was, he had to admit, almost like the past. Students and staff alike scrambling to get out of his way. The only difference this time was the gentle way he held his daughter as he stalked through the halls.

He had calmed some when he got to their rooms in the dungeons. He knew this only because he did not slam the door behind him. He laid Evelynn down in her crib before returning to the sitting area.

"I understand Minerva can be very convincing, Patrice, but if I did not make my objections obvious to my child being anywhere near that office. Let me try again here and now. Evelynn is not, under any circumstances, to be in that office. If Minerva requires your presence for some unearthly reason, she can come here or meet you somewhere other than that office. Given that you are not staff here and are in fact employed by me and my wife not Hogwarts she should have no need to need you in that office. You, on your time, can do as you wish. If you wish to visit her in that office then please do so on your own time."

"I didn't know…"

"I realize. It is not Minerva nor the office itself I have issue with. It is a portrait in it that I don't want to have any interference with my life any longer. That includes interaction with my children."

"I apologize, Master Snape."

"Will it happen again?"

"No, Sir, of course not," she said. The fact this woman who was Andromeda's age was calling him sir made him chuckle inside.

"Then no need for apologies. You care for Evelynn very well from what my wife and I observe."

"She's a joy to care for."

"She does seem to be rather that," he said. "As I have no other babies to compare her to, it's hard for me to know if I'm suitably objective. I do find Potter's infant tolerable as well, but I don't find I'm as indulgent of his crying fits as I am Evelynn's."

The witch smirked at that. "That is normal, I believe."

"Thank you," he said. He hadn't been looking for that confirmation really, but it was nice to receive it nonetheless. "I will return to my day now. If the headmistress gives you any difficulty as a result of this morning please inform my wife or me and we will take care of it. She can be quite convincing when she wants to be, I am aware of this."

"Of course."

"Thank you."

He shook his head before stopping to look in on Evelynn one last time before he headed back to his classroom for the rest of the day. Oh, would he have dinner conversation for Hermione tonight.

Return to Top

Part 12 | Part 14

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com